Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Nice Ladies

Akalitus doesn’t trust Jackie when she shares the news that the hospital is being sold to Norwegian developers. Carrie meets Coop’s proposal with an unexpected reaction causing him to make a major life decision. Still strapped for cash, Jackie’s dealing takes a surprising turn.

Promo:

Clips:

What is Eddie getting all upset and jealous about because of the relationship between Jackie and the dealer back in the day? That was lame and a stupid lead up to the two of them breaking up.

Carrie and Coop, I have absolutely no investment in them. None.

Loving Leslie Uggims in this part.

• Love 3

Loving Leslie Uggams as well.

Frankly, I don't think I have it in me to watch one more scene where Coop and Roman have another relationship talk in front of a patient who is in desperate need of medical help. Next to the two of them Jackie doesn't seem that bad. Ok her drug taking on the job was getting pretty bad but still, what's their excuse?

I didn't understand the weird fight with Eddie and the drug guy, either. 

Zoe's drama over the past few episodes about having to supervise Jackie and the supposedly big dramatic change in what she's willing and not willing to do felt really drawn out and like trying too hard to generate fake drama. I get why she wasn't comfortable about it but I don't understand the needs Xanax and crying all the time level of hand wringing anguish. 

• Love 2

A few years ago I was sure they were writing the Coop part out because his plots were so weak and his lines and character so asinine. But, damn, he has earned his evolution into a  bizarre but richly complex character who is probalby the most beloved cast member. In other words, without showing the cracks, he patched stuff up and took over the Eve Best character --the Best friend!

Anyway, loving this last year, sorry uit is the last one. But I seE why the story of an addicted nurse can't treat water, it has to go one way or the other.

Or both! 

• Love 2
Zoe's drama over the past few episodes about having to supervise Jackie and the supposedly big dramatic change in what she's willing and not willing to do felt really drawn out and like trying too hard to generate fake drama. I get why she wasn't comfortable about it but I don't understand the needs Xanax and crying all the time level of hand wringing anguish.

I also hated Grace's so self important line about Zoe being an asshole.  That is a real nice way to talk to a woman who has been nothing but kind to your spoiled brat self.  

Are we supposed to feel sorry for Jackie? I have little sympathy for her situation.  I also do not understand why the hell Eddie is so into her.  Jackie admits to him she steals pills from elderly patients and he is okay with it?  I also thought that the lady Jackie works for as an at home nurse might have had her accident, because Jackie replaced her pills with candy.  She is a natural schemer and it is not safe to trust her.  The sad thing is she is just smart enough to be dangerous, but not nearly as smart as she thinks she is.

This hospital has the worst doctors ever.  Lets talk about highly personal stuff in front of a sick patient and nurse.

• Love 6
What is Eddie getting all upset and jealous about because of the relationship between Jackie and the dealer back in the day?

Eddie was enjoying his status as Jackie's openly acknowledged lover: as the most important person in Jackie's daily life. But while Jackie is his blind spot, his addiction, Eddie still retains some of his shrewdness.  The dealer's casual remark stripped the denial off Eddie's understanding that Jackie used to fuck him for drugs.  (Jackie even admitted this to him.)  It confirmed that Jackie, who previously dumped him, then moved on to fuck other men for drugs.  

Eddie's unhappy awakening was underscored by taking place at the very moment Jackie was once again using him for drugs. Using one screw -- Eddie --- to sell drugs to another.  It may even have brought Eddie closer to realizing that it's no great shakes to be the most important person in Jackie's daily life, if he's just all she's got.

• Love 9

Mass General? From All Saints? Good for you, Coop!  

And besides enjoying Zoe as usual, Coop's job was the only time I cared about anything going on. I bailed on this show midway through last season and am not sure I'm going to be back for the rest. No, wait, I do enjoy seeing Jackie be an actual good nurse, and we almost always see a little of that. 

(edited)

I'm wondering if the Eddie freakout has to do with him realizing that Jackie has been known to directly exchange drugs for sex.

I think he's always told himself that Jackie really liked him, and that was part of the reason she slept with him so many times - and that she wasn't doing it just because he gave her drugs. But now he knows that she outright prostituted herself to that dealer for drugs, and he's wondering if she was doing the same thing with him.

As for Coop and Carrie, I'm still trying to figure out how he landed the job at Mass General. She knew he was going to propose, and she didn't want to say yes, so she tried to get him a job in another city? I guess she figured he'd take the job, and then she wouldn't have to dump him, because she could just say she didn't want to leave New York?

I'd really like to know how she went about getting him that offer. "Hello, Mass General? I...represent Dr. Cooper. Do you happen to have a hugely important job for him to take? And can you offer it to him immediately? Thanks!"

And don't even get me started on the idea that Jackie's lawyer could get the criminal charges against her dropped so easily.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 3

Oh Eddie, you are such an idiot.

Okay, okay, I know that was an assisted living place and not a nursing home. But after the daughter g oing on about how her mother needs somewhere where they have 24 hour staff to look after her.....so where is the DAMN STAFF?  You know, someone who might come over and ask Jackie 'Who the hell are you and why are you messing with our resident's medications?  And you'll be back next week?'   That was the dumbest scene yet.

And it seemed like she got her sentence thrown out rather easily. Arrested with a car filled with pills?  Or was it because the police 'disappeared' them.

Something about Grace still worries me. Her friendliness still seems too phoney.

• Love 9

Frankly, I don't think I have it in me to watch one more scene where Coop and Roman have another relationship talk in front of a patient who is in desperate need of medical help.

To be fair, Vivian wasn't in "desperate need" at the moment. She'd fallen down, that's about it. 

When Jackie started telling her she'd stay with her at the senior center until she made new friends you could tell her primary concern was maintaining her drug supply. Then she doubled down and started stealing from the other patients too. Ugh. That's low. And I really expected Charlane to jump on Zoey's comment that Jackie wasn't a nurse at the hospital. Charlane seems like she'd like to cut Jackie loose at the first opportunity.

I, too, would like to know just how Carrie Roman managed to score such an appealing job for Coop. She herself is no great shakes as a doctor, who the hell would listen to her?

• Love 2

I find Akalitus one of the most interesting characters this season. She and Jackie were friends for a very long time, and I have to think that  she feels very personally let down by Jackie. While I think that Akalitus has always admired Jackie's nursing abilities, it seems like the final straw was last season when Jackie almost killed a patient and then stole Dr. Roman's ID so she could make a fake identity using the dead nun's driver's license. Now I'm wondering if the Diversion program was something that Akalitus chose to do, or was required to do..and why wasn't Jackie sent somewhere else to work in the hospital instead of still being around the emergency room? 

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm not so sure Akalitus knows about Jackie using Roman's 'script pad & the nun's ID. Zoey almost told her but kept it to herself, then deleted the nun's pic from her phone.

Jackie's lawyer got her back to the hospital under the diversion program.  Akalitus did not want her back.

Eddie really is stupid in love with Jackie. He's always been and thinks that she is now his & his alone. I hate the nursing home scam she's pulling, and the lack of staff was too much. When that deal goes south, I can see Jackie getting Eddie to go down for that.

I like that Coop has become a better doctor and is giving Jackie good advice, but enough with Dr. Roman. Run to Boston Mass, Coop, run.

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 1

I thought it was great sendoff episode for Coop, one of my favorite characters.  He got a 'happy ending' (being married to Carrie would not be a happy ending), Carrie was better than generous with him, and the throwback case of the bike messenger helped demonstrate how he has become a better doctor - thanks in no small part to working next to Jackie.  

I, too, would like to know just how Carrie Roman managed to score such an appealing job for Coop. She herself is no great shakes as a doctor, who the hell would listen to her?

Maybe a connection she made in medical school? I didn't think too hard about it because I liked the gesture.  It solved the problem of breaking up with Coop without looking like a terrible person. 

...and why wasn't Jackie sent somewhere else to work in the hospital instead of still being around the emergency room? 

I'm guessing it's so the other characters would still be part of the show.  

• Love 2

If Jackie doesn't die at the end then Eddie should.

Coop was contacted by a headhunter so it's not like he got a direct offer from Mass Gen. It's not surprising to me that Roman would have a few headhunters on speed dial. Especially given the fact that she's an average doctor at best and is probably always has an eye on the next job. Back when I got calls from headhunters, they always asked for the names of anybody else they thought might be looking for a new job.

• Love 1

And don't even get me started on the idea that Jackie's lawyer could get the criminal charges against her dropped so easily.

It boggles the mind doesn't it. Having all those drugs without authorization (not to mention being on them herself) for some BS excuse of a humanitarian mission of her own making. All thrown out because she helped someone moments before an ambulance arrived. And what's this shit about going to Akalitus and saying that because the charges were dropped she should be reinstated immediately? She was facing disciplinary action and diversion for her drug use before that arrest with the drugs ever happened. Her return to nursing shouldn't be contingent on the charges being dropped. There is some really bad writing going on here. It doesn't matter whether All Saints is closing or not, Jackie's fighting to get her nursing license back. She needs that for any job, not just the job at All Saints, right?

I also hated Grace's so self important line about Zoe being an asshole.  That is a real nice way to talk to a woman who has been nothing but kind to your spoiled brat self. 

Apparently Grace has that same entitled attitude her mother has. She thinks it's ok to just show up at her mother's work and Jackie can do whatever she wants? And why is Grace roaming NYC by herself? Was it a school day? This relationship between Grace and Jackie that they're trying to sell us this season has no resemblance to anything we've seen in previous seasons. Grace was the one who exposed Jackie's date to the wedding as a drug dealer for Pete's sake. I think it was all just a big ploy to give Zoey something more to feel bad about. The stickers in the bathroom were a bit over the top, even for Zoey. And nice of Jackie to make Zoey feel worse by mentioning the raise she got with the head nurse position. It seems like Zoey cares way more about Jackie's feelings than vice versa.

• Love 11
(edited)

Of all the characters, I feel the most sorry for Gloria right now. She and Jackie were friends and she really tried to help her the last time she screwed up. Now she is in the position of having to protect the hospital from lawsuits and the patients from Jackie potentially killing or hurting one of them. In the eyes of the law and the hospital, Gloria is the one doing the right thing but Jackie is painting her to be some evil meanie who has it out for her. The truth of the matter is that Jackie is the one who screwed up and needs to face the consequences. Instead she's like a child chafing against being grounded and acting all self-righteous like she is being punished for no reason.

I guess it doesn't matter whether Coop or Carrie left since the show is ending this season, but I would have preferred keeping Coop and getting rid of Carrie. Ha, and if you had told me I would say that when we first met Coop, I wouldn't have believed you!

I loved Thor's serious side eye when Carrie asked him if he would tell Coop she didn't want to get married.

I, too, am suspicious of Grace being so nice to Jackie. But part of me wondered just how long it was going to take Jackie to clean up the lab. Like seriously, how messy was it? Why didn't she just ask Grace if she could wait half an hour?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 7

If Jackie doesn't die at the end then Eddie should.

Coop was contacted by a headhunter so it's not like he got a direct offer from Mass Gen. It's not surprising to me that Roman would have a few headhunters on speed dial. Especially given the fact that she's an average doctor at best and is probably always has an eye on the next job. Back when I got calls from headhunters, they always asked for the names of anybody else they thought might be looking for a new job.

When did the headhunter come into the picture? In this episode?

It would be one thing if Roman asked a headhunter to contact Coop, and then the headhunter contacted Coop, and Coop gave the okay for the headhunter to go out and look for jobs for him. But that wasn't the way it came across at all.

And even if it happened that way, I'm pretty sure you'd actually have to interview for a prestigious position at a place like Mass General.

I'd be interested to know what's going with Grace but I wonder if they'e going to bother explaining it. Grace has been against Jackie for the past several seasons and was all high and mighty about Jackie's drug problem. If I have to fill in the blanks myself I'd guess Grace blamed all her problems on Jackie's addiction, including her parents' divorce, but since she's moved in with her father and new stepmother something has gone sour and she realizes she's better off with her mother. Maybe the new stepmom doesn't put up with her crap the way Jackie did.

• Love 1
It boggles the mind doesn't it. Having all those drugs without authorization (not to mention being on them herself) for some BS excuse of a humanitarian mission of her own making. All thrown out because she helped someone moments before an ambulance arrived.

I didn't follow the logic of any of that.  Presumably, the police would investigate whether Jackie was authorized to have those drugs (revealing the documents Eddie had forged), and question the people who supposedly had authorized her "humanitarian" mission with those drugs.  At that point, it would become pretty obvious that Jackie was full of crap, and her story was utter bs. 

You know, someone who might come over and ask Jackie 'Who the hell are you and why are you messing with our resident's medications?  And you'll be back next week?'   That was the dumbest scene yet.

It was amazing to me that Jackie was publicly pocketing the residents' drugs, and no one ever came to question her as to what she was doing.  Heck, it was amazing that the residents just let Jackie take their medication without raising a fuss. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Not to mention she was chock full of those drugs when she was caught, and had to go through assisted withdrawl. That retainer must have been used to buy off the judge.

I didn't follow the logic of any of that. Presumably, the police would investigate whether Jackie was authorized to have those drugs (revealing the documents Eddie had forged), and question the people who supposedly had authorized her "humanitarian" mission with those drugs. At that point, it would become pretty obvious that Jackie was full of crap, and her story was utter bs.

Not to mention she was chock full of those drugs when she was caught, and had to go through assisted withdrawl. That retainer must have been used to buy off the judge.

And yeah, the DEA would have been on that shit like a rat on a cheeto. Eddie would have been sharing a cell with Jackie within a day, in reality land.

Edited by bunnywithanaxe
  • Love 4

Reading this last bunch of posts reminds me of how much I found Jackie sympathetic when I started watching the series. I was really rooting for her. Now I want her and Eddie to do hard time breaking rocks in the hot sun. 

• Love 3

Now that Coop is leaving All Saints, why can't Dr. Roman follow suit?  Zoey, handing out stickers for good behavior, really?  Where does she think is, Romper Room?  Leslie Uggams looks good for a lady of 70-plus. 

• Love 2

Reading this last bunch of posts reminds me of how much I found Jackie sympathetic when I started watching the series.

Yeah, I was rooting for her, too. But I was rooting for her to beat her addiction, not for her to jack the system and game all her friends.

• Love 1

I was wondering about that.

Also, sctupping Antoinette in an attempt to get her off Jackie's back (so he said)? And unshamedly stating that he deliberately overdosed to get Jackie's attention? The guy is going for the Cody Award for Best Enabler.

What if the show had given us a deeper look at someone actually trying to manage recovery, and a real look at the disease of codependancy? What grills me is the wasted opportunities, in favor of dramatic relapses and withdrawls, and dividing everyone into these archtypes .

Wow, they swept Jackie's legal problems under the rug with a Nimbus 2000.  What a crock.  The charges against her are thrown out simply based on Jackie's word that she was taking all those drugs to a hurricane relief effort.  No independent confirmation from the so-called relief organization she was bringing them to.  No confirmation from the hospital that they made this arrangement with them and had authorized Jackie to make the trip.  The district attorney didn't present any of this. And no competent judge present who would be asking these kinds of questions.  Right.  This show is throwing reality out the window just so Jackie can win and have her happy ending.  And I swear I want to smack that little smart-mouthed bitch daughter of hers across the face every time I see Grace on the screen.  What a piece of work she is becoming.

• Love 5

I didn't follow the logic of any of that.  Presumably, the police would investigate whether Jackie was authorized to have those drugs (revealing the documents Eddie had forged), and question the people who supposedly had authorized her "humanitarian" mission with those drugs.  At that point, it would become pretty obvious that Jackie was full of crap, and her story was utter bs. 

It was amazing to me that Jackie was publicly pocketing the residents' drugs, and no one ever came to question her as to what she was doing.  Heck, it was amazing that the residents just let Jackie take their medication without raising a fuss. 

Most residents of an assisted living facility don't walk around with bottles of meds, maybe a pill box but their entire supply, hardly.  I was wondering where was the staff at that facility, some stranger walks in and starts talking and taking residences meds and nobody is alerted?  You don't just check in to a nursing facility like a hotel, there are lots of steps, evaluations, paperwork out the yinyang etc...there is an orientation period as well besides did the daughter even chose that place or did Jackie just takeover?  That place looked like a low rent social hall.  My family is in the nursing home industry and I just recently moved my father to a CCRC facility (independent living), the process was grueling and there was a hideously expensive buy in. Do the writers even research that stuff? 

• Love 5
(edited)

I do know from reading other articles that pill/narcotics addictions are not that uncommon among nurses in hospitals. They are the ones with trusted access to the meds, and the ones administering them (since generally all doctors do is put in the orders) so it's not that hard to figure out how to game the system. For example, say a vial of dilaudid has 3mg of meds in the bottle, but the patient is only prescribed 1mg....well that other 2mg has to be "wasted". Which is where you pull another nurse and they watch you dispose of the extra med and then document it. But do you think nurses always have time for tasks like that? Of course not. So there's a lot of drugs that go missing and no one notices. That's one thing that this show has even touched on....proper procedures for stuff like that. It's all just Eddie sitting around in that pharmacy room like the king of his castle (did he ever actually DO anything besides sit at that computer?), or that gawd awful fake Pyxis they had one season, which of course Jackie found her way around more or less immediately by either using her coworkers' ID numbers or unplugging and restarting it, thus clearing its memory...which just typing that sounds ridiculous. Why would a machine that was built to dispense things like powerful narcotics magically lose its memory by simply being unplugged? Cars have better computer system memories, apparently. Come on, writers. 

All in all this last season is turning into a shitshow - and not in the good way.

Edited by fliptopbox
  • Love 4