Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E20: Time Changes Things

Rayna travels to Natchez, MS to try to help Deacon and we learn how her past with him affects his life-and-death struggle today. Jade invites Luke, Jeff and Layla to her beachfront bash in her home in Malibu which turns into an all-night rager. Back in Nashville, new mom Juliette tries to jump-start her career with a last-minute rooftop concert, and Kiley returns to Gunnar with news that changes everything.

Promo:

Kiley? Nooooooooooooooo!

That she didn't cheat with his brother, that he raped her?   That she's always been in love with him and wants him back so they can raise Micah together?   

Really, though, we should have been done with her way before now.

• Love 2

Holy Hxll! How much plastic surgery has Chhristina Aguilera had????

Her cheeks and nose look like her work was done by Cher's plastic surgeon.

Deleted, posted in wrong thread.

• Love 2

So they might be doing something different with Teddy-I'm glad this show can occasionally surprise me. I wonder what favor Teddy is expected to do? Christina A looks like she is made of plastic and she had so much makeup on she looked like a doll. She was a complete waste of time of the show.

Didn't understand Scarlett getting so upset, she made it clear she is  not interested in getting back with Gunnar. So now that Kiley is back, Scarlett is now interested again? I thought Rayna was going to offer Deacon's sister a record contract or something. She has a great voice but of course she is a bit old to be starting out. 

Having known and lost a few people who had either liver cancer or other liver problems, Deacon doesn"t look at all sick. He should be jaundiced, bloated, and weak, especially if his tumor is growing. Oh well, I like his handsome face the way it is I guess.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 4

Didn't understand Scarlett getting so upset, she made it clear she is  not interested in getting back with Gunnar. So now that Kiley is back, Scarlett is now interested again?

I don't think its about Scarlett being interested, I think it's part exasperation about Gunnar sad-sacking about the past so much (it was what tanked their relationship in the first place) and part having no sympathy for Kiley, having been in Micah's shoes.

• Love 4

Eh, I think they are trying to get the two of them together. Scarlett checking her phone, hiding who she was talking to from Caleb, showing up at Caleb's house after saying she wouldn't go there-it all looks like a romantic thing rather than a friendship thing.

• Love 2

I think Teddy's deal is a fake out. My gut says he will get hauled off in the final seconds of the finale in a GOTCHA! moment.

My gut also says that Beverly will donate before she cashes the check but she will die and then season four finds Deacon or Scarlett going through her stuff and finding the check and BAM. DRAMA.

Why is this show so predictable?

Slutty Maddie made me laugh. Very hard. Deacon was great with her. I liked it!

• Love 8

Oh, great: Kiley is back.  And the twists keep piling.  Now, she didn't cheat on Gunnar with Jason, he totally raped her.  They really are just piling on Gunnar at this point.  First, Micah wasn't his son and how he finds out his brother was a rapist.  And, this of course leads to Scarlett seeing them and thinking Gunnar's gone soft, and them squabbling again.  I'm so over them.  Just keep making music: y'all are great at that.  Anytime it gets personal between you two, I kind of start disliking you guys. Caleb deserves better.

So, I guess Luke/Jade are done already.  Not surprised that wasn't going to work out.  Since Layla is still opening for her, I guess she'll stick around, but I wondering what was up with Jeff and that picture she took.  Is he going to tweet it and try to get her on Jade's bad side?  I couldn't figure that part out.  Probably because I was amused that the song in the background during that scene kind of sounded like "You're so Beautiful" from Empire.  I doubt it was, but I would like to believe that, despite being on different networks, those two shows exist in the same crazy universe, and Jade just really like her Jamal Lyons.

Ted figures out the gig is up, and seemed prepared to run.  For a second, I thought he was going to try to take Daphine with him.  Instead, the U.S. Attorney is going to make him a "deal."  Can't wait to see where this goes!  Maybe he'll go undercover!  Undercover Teddy!

Rayna tries to get Beverly to try again to donate the liver, she refuses, so now Rayna's giving her a million bucks, in hopes to change her mind.  Also get flashbacks, and see that Beverly foolishly threw away a prime opportunity, because she didn't want to be a "back-up singer", for Rayna.  I guess she doesn't believe in paying your dues in this industry.  Whatever, Beverly.

Juliette creates buzz about herself, by performing live on top of a building in Nashville, complete with light shows and helicopters.  Certainly seemed to work and even leads to possible elevator sex with Avery.  But, then they come back home, and Juliette starts going cold again.  Yeah, she really isn't wild about her baby.  It's sad and, well, sad.  Don't see this ending well.

The stuff with Deacon/Maddie actually wasn't too bad.  I actually like that Deacon wasn't all "Argh, we need to lock her up and throwaway the key!", that most dads do, over the idea of their daughter having sex.  He just wants to make sure she is safe and doing it for the right reasons.  I can understand that.  And, the Maddie/Juliette scene was great too.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 5

Of course Jason raped Kiley. Oh the manpain of it all. If there's another season we'll find an evil identical twin popping up.

Layla is quickly returning to unlikable. I mean she is making me feel sorry for Jeff of all people.

• Love 6

Oooo! Airwair: I didn't think about Beverly dying. She can go out a hero! I was thinking, though, that we just set up the Rayna/Deacon fight for season four. What can tear them apart this time? Secretly paying for organs! At this rate, the Conrad/Jaymes/Claybourne children aren't going to have any parents at all. It's illegal to buy organs, Ray!! (But I get it.)

Deacon for dad of the year! Seriously.

I can't with the bad CGI, y'all. I just can't.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 3

Loved Avery's "Of course you did" in reaction to hearing what Juliette said to Bucky. And his one raised eyebrow when Juliette came on to him in the elevator.

I loved seeing Bad CGI Young Deacon playing and singing the first time Rayna saw him.

Emily is now officially the Jana Duggar of Nashville.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 8

And I know continuity isn't their strong suit, but couldn't they have at least pretended that Deacon was around when Lamar kicked Rayna out at 16 because Watty brought her a paying gig? I mean that's what I've been going on since season 1, given that's WHAT THEY SAID HAPPENED.

I can't.

• Love 3

Wish I had recorded this. Then I could have skipped over Kiley, Maddie, and Layla.

Holy amazing lighting for young Rayna. Beverly will never look young again. They should have tossed a hat on her.

I'd sell my liver for under a million. Just sayin' Rayna. So, if you want to write me a check....

Fakest beach background ever for the Jade and Will scenes. Guess the budget went for bubbles and Juliette's helicopter?

• Love 2

How did they make Deacon and the sister look so young in those flashbacks? I guess she will donate the liver, but it's been fun guessing who Deacon's miracle cure might come from. 

Caleb is too good to be true. I am now waiting for something terrible about him or to happen to him. 

I am trying now to remember why Juliette had this baby, if the pregnancy was planned. She doesn't seem to want to be a mom now. 

Is Maddie in 8th grade? 9th? I would really think she would get a more serious reaction than she got for getting naked with Colt. I think it is cute that she and Colt almost seem to be True Love down the line. 

Teddy, I so don't care. Just be a good dad and Rayna's beta male. 

Jeff, I am really starting to think that actor is just a piece of wood. He always has a wooden expression, kind of pissed off, and always just kind of barks his lines. Loving Layla more and more. 

Gunnar's girlfriend, I wish she would go away. 

• Love 1

And I know continuity isn't their strong suit, but couldn't they have at least pretended that Deacon was around when Lamar kicked Rayna out at 16 because Watty brought her a paying gig? I mean that's what I've been going on since season 1, given that's WHAT THEY SAID HAPPENED.

I can't.

They don't remember what happened in season one. That was back when the show was consistently good.

• Love 7

I like Luke's son's retort about Jade being a mistake, not Maddie.

I'm surprised Juliette and Avery didn't just do it in the elevator--it seemed like that's what she meant by doing something she's never done before.

I was thinking all along, "Why doesn't Rayna just open her big fat chequebook?"

I'm glad Teddy survived another day. 

Hands if you don't believe Kiley's story about being raped by Jason?  Anyone?  That's what I thought.  Gunnar is such an idiot at this point to believe her story.  I know his brother wasn't the best of people, but who is he going to believe, the dead brother or his ex who lied about him being the father of her son, then just up and bolted for some guy she met on the internet and now decides she wants her family back.

I'm over the Scarlett / Gunnar crap, either get on the same page or just end it already.  Damn...

I too thought Teddy was going to try and bolt w/ the girls, and I don't buy that his problems can just be swept under the rug like that...i'm guessing they want him to get someone bigger to take down and it will all backfire.

The poster upthread who says that Deacon's sister will probably decide to donate to save him and die on the table and then next season they find the un-cashed check of Rayna's which will cause friction probably has the called it right.  It's just a soapy way for it to play out.  I can't just see it, "I thought my sister was doing the right thing b/c she loved me and wanted to mend fences Rayna but in actuality it was b/c you paid her off.  Yes I'm alive and well now, but I don't even know who you are anymore."  Ugh...

Did anyone else think that Juliette's impromptu rooftop concert was odd?  It looked like that unless you were above the rooftop (on a hotel balcony/ in a helicopter/ or higher up than Juliette) that nobody on the street would be able to see anything other than a light show.

I'm also thinking that Avery will leave w/ the baby on the season finale when he finally figures out she has postpartum and wants nothing to do w/the baby.  That sets up the soapy storyline for next season when they reconnect.

• Love 4

Interesting that Juliette can mother other peoples children like Maddie so great, but her own she doesn't remember exists. I did love the big pop up concert that was a great idea and loved the song. I feel like she shouldn't be on Rayna's label though, she and Layla both seem to be doing all the work themselves. What does Rayna do?

Juliette's staging her own concerts, Layla's getting her own tours and concerts. Rayna learns about these things after the fact or on the news. They both should go over to Luke's label, especially Juliette.

Didn't Avery quit the band to be home more? Gunnar and Scarlette had a less busy day with just one radio interview than Avery's long full day. They were both home by dinner. 

Kiley and Deacon's awful sister in the same episode. I hate Deacon's sister more everytime she shows up, blaming Rayna for her not being a star. Rayna already had a tour when she showed up. Deacon's sister's pride kept her from making it and Rayna giving her a million dollars for a liver just makes them both look bad. I would hope if Deacon knew he'd flip out and refuse.

The green screen ocean view with Luke and Cristina was the worst I've ever seen. It was so distractingly bad.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 3

Am I the only one thinking that they're setting the background for Avery and Juliette's assistant to take up with one another?

Is this how they drag Tandy and Lamar's cold dead corpse back; by having Teddy turn evidence on them (and threaten to take down Highway 65 in the process because it's funded by Lamar's ill gotten gains)?

Just random thoughts by a brain beaten in on the ShondaLand Express and expecting the worst from EVERY series in existence....

• Love 4

I am trying now to remember why Juliette had this baby, if the pregnancy was planned. She doesn't seem to want to be a mom now. 

Is Maddie in 8th grade? 9th? I would really think she would get a more serious reaction 

No, the pregnancy was not planned. Juliette decided not to get an abortion when she realized (based on how far along she was) it was Avery's. She didn't think about parenthood beyond it bringing her and Avery together again, as friends if nothing more. As far as we know, she has not thought about the future at all (aside from getting her star power back after the birth.)

I also thought Maddie was in 9th grade. I don't know any parents who wouldn't react strongly to the idea that a kid that young is thinking of becoming, or is already, sexually active and start on a lecture that includes hey, do you want to be in a position to have to go to a HS which includes a day care center? 

• Love 1

Dear Writers:

You've come to a dead end with Gunnar.  The first step is to recognize it, admit it and move on.  Yes, he and Scarlett are great when they sing together, but otherwise, I just can't anymore.  And I thought, as in "was hoping," that this was Teddy's swan song.  But let's please be done with the hooker, okay?

Aside from the crap CGI's, whoever does the wigs on this show needs to be go back to Supercuts. Find someone who at least makes an attempt to fit and style them better.  So distracting.

• Love 10

Maddie is fifteen, almost sixteen. That's the end of 10th grade...unless the show rewrites history again and makes her younger this time. Lennon Stella is almost sixteen, though.

I thought Deacon was perfect. Shaming a teenager who wants to have sex because it makes you, the parent, uncomfortable is my least favorite story on TV and in real life.

• Love 7

I don't know what made me lol harder, the 90s flashbacks of Deacon, Rayna and Beverly or the horrible blue/green screen beach scene which kinda rival's Castle's telenovela sunset at the Hamptons. Oh ABC and it's low budget sfx for most of their shows. Jade outfit in the cgi scene was ugly too.

Teddy and the hooker is still one of the worse storylines this season and there have been some bad ones like anything revolving around Gunner that hasn't been just singing or Will's friend.

After months of seeing Juliette talking to a phone, I'm thrilled she got some great face time with Deacon, Maddie and even Bucky.  And she got to sing!

I can't believe how much I was on Scarlett's side during her fight with Gunnar.  While I saw both of their sides, she was doing some major truth telling about he hangs onto the past.  And I'm not sure how that past excuses what she did to Micah.  I had a hard time believing Kylie about the rape too.  It may have been the out-of-the-blueness of it all. Or the actress.  Or both.  But props to someone upthread who called it "manpain."  Once again, a rape that exists only so a man can react to it. 

I hope Teddy really gets an out.  I liked him. I've liked him since the first season.  I love his scenes with the girls and I think he may have drama in his life but it doesn't touch the girls as  much as Rayna and Deacon's drama does.

• Love 5

I can't.

No matter how much magical un-aging they do, they'll never make any of these people look 16.

I'm also thinking that Avery will leave w/ the baby on the season finale when he finally figures out she has postpartum and wants nothing to do w/the baby.  That sets up the soapy storyline for next season when they reconnect.

I rebuke this notion here and now. Please, Lord.

Dr. Boyfriend: "I've been debating whether or not to bring up this hospital thing because I thought you might wear that hideous shirt."

Seriously, Kylie? I love Nashville, but this was a low blow. Don't we have enough to contend with, Deacon's cancer, Juliette's PPD/career resurrection, Maddie being Maddie, Teddy being Teddy, drunk Layla (and her horrible drunk staggering), Rayna out here buying organs and shit and now they throw a rape into the mix? For a character I give less than a damn about?? Those minutes could have been much better used on almost any other storyline (besides Teddy's). I almost would have rather spent more time at Jade's party. Almost.

As others have said, that fake ocean in the background was terrible. Never go to Miami again, Nashville. Unless you actually go.

Best thing about Jade's party was Jeff rolling his eyes when he was on the couch. He and Layla are back to being the assholes I always knew they were. Happy to see y'all again.

If I were Scarlett, Maddie and I would have a serious talk about boundaries and respect. I mean, damn. I thought Deacon was perfect. So was Juliette for that matter. She has it in her to be a great mother. Thanks, show, for showing that.

Random, but what did Rayna do all day while Beverly was working/getting ready for her performance? What did Kylie do while waiting for Gunnar? 

I have no idea why Juliette and Avery didn't have sex in the elevator. I'm sure they won't waste the opportunity next time.

Also have no idea why Teddy stayed in Nashville ALL DAMN DAY once he found out the Feds were after him. 

• Love 11

I doubt it was, but I would like to believe that, despite being on different networks, those two shows exist in the same crazy universe, and Jade just really like her Jamal Lyons.

Yep, headcannon accepted! It actually makes sense. This is just an in credibly dramatic universe, filled with awesome music, love triangles, and children of questionable paternity who pop up out of nowhere. 

As soon as I saw Kylie, I so knew she was going to say Gunnar`s brother raped her. What is the point? Why are you just piling on Gunnar all the time? Why are you using a rape story with this minor character we don't know well? Its just about Gunnar anyway. So Kylie didn't want her son because he is a child by rape? Or she just didn't think she was "good enough"? Again, why? We just finished a domestic abuse story line, do we need to work a rape plot in there too? We already pretty much got rid of Micah, and they are pretty much going to put Scarlet and Gunnar back together, so why bring this all into it? And it`s too bad. I like Gunnar when he isn't in the middle of all this pointless drama. 

Deacon was so good with Maddie. I was worried it would be one of those "he put his hands on my little girl, I`ll kill you!" stories, and they didn't really go there. He just talked to her maturely. He was great. 

I really hate Deacon`s sister. She is a terrible person. Why cant she just dramatically die, and give Deacon her liver.

Juliet seemed so much happier in this episode. Probably because she wasn't around her baby. She was great with Maddie, its too bad she`s struggling with her baby. I`m thinking post-partum, officially.

Good music tonight. I loved Juliet's song, and the Scarlet Gunnar song. But, seriously, Avery needs to come back to the band! Once Juliet gets some help with her baby issues, hopefully they get back to the singing.

Still loving Scarlet this season.  

Seeing Teddy and Deacon be civil to each other is weird, but I really like it. Teddy is actually not being awful lately. I assume that means he`s toast. I really thought he was going to kill himself at the end of the episode.

I missed Will and his cute boyfriend. Can we get them instead of Gunnar drama? 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

So if your ex-girlfriend shows up on your doorstep, someone who abandoned her young son to go run off with a guy and told you the kid was yours and then left, and then returns and says she lied, but only because the kid is your brother's and he raped me -- is your first and only reaction to believe her? And then console her? I know the brother was supposed to be a troublemaker, but it's his brother! And how convenient - he's dead, so he can't defend himself. I would think Gunnar would be angry at the accusation, or at least ask more questions or take more time to process this awful story the ex-gf just told him.

I can't tell you how much I hated this storyline. Just when I thought everything Micah-related was in the rear view mirror.

• Love 15

No matter how much magical un-aging they do, they'll never make any of these people look 16.

Also have no idea why Teddy stayed in Nashville ALL DAMN DAY once he found out the Feds were after him.

No, but I would've at least appreciated them not have Deacon insinuate that Rayna already had her record deal and was offering him a job.

As far as I know it's always been that they met young and sort of came up in the business together and took their knocks together and Watty got them gigs together. Not Deacon telling his sister that Rayna has a contract and she wants to bring them both along and pay them.

I've always found their backstory kind of sacred and they can't even manage to not screw it up. And I ask for so little. (Sort of.)

Teddy stayed all damn day because he's Teddy. Mark my words--eleventh hour arrest.

Edited by airwair
  • Love 4

Wait a minute. So...when Kylie came back she was all, "Where's Jason? Where's your brother?" Smiling when she asked the question. But now she was raped by him? Really? 

So, are we done with Jade? And the point was?

• Love 7

Oh, also, I totally think Kiley is lying. She is...right??

And do we think we're supposed to feel bad for Beverly?? Because I don't. She's just as awful now as she's ever been, and her new sad backstory is laughable.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 7

I kind of hope they have more of a point for Jade. I liked her, and it would suck if she just existed as stunt casting for Christina. It seems like they might have more, she is still involved with Layla.

The girl dressed like a mermaid at the party made me feel like we were about to have a Jane the Virgin cross over.  

I'm with the "Kiley is lying about the rape" crowd, but I don't really care because I don't care about Gunnar of his stupidity or his problems.

I thought for sure Teddy was going to grab Daphne & Maddie & run to Brazil or something.

So, I guess Luke/Jade are done already.  Not surprised that wasn't going to work out.  Since Layla is still opening for her, I guess she'll stick around, but I wondering what was up with Jeff and that picture she took.  Is he going to tweet it and try to get her on Jade's bad side?  I couldn't figure that part out.  

I'm assuming he either tweeted the picture or posted it to FB because he heard Jade tell Layla not to. So now Jade will be so mad at Layla, she'll dump her from the tour, which will explain why Jade is gone & Layla is still hanging around.

• Love 1

Juliette you crazy pop up queen bee mother life coach of teenagers resurrected pop icon I love you!

Seriously! She was firing on all cylinders this episode. Her pop up concert idea was awesome. Her telling Bucky to go to hell cracked me up (and then the call back "what did you tell him" "I told him go to hell").
Her scenes with Avery were hot.
Her scenes with Deacon were so touching, I love how far these two have come. Remember in season 1 when she kept trying to sleep with him all the time?
The look on her face at the end of the episode means that we'll probably be facing the baby issues next week. I wouldn't be surprised if the season ends with her spiraling one more time. All her fears are compressed into that tiny baby girl, and I'm looking forward to see how this plays out.
Avery continues to be the best, I love how he understands where Juliette is right now and keeps trying to go about it 'in a different way'.

Kiley looks like Serena VanderWdoodsen if she wasn't a socialite.  They even have the same crying face. God it's annoying.

I hope we're done with this Gunnar shit by the end of this season. If he's supposed to be the mirror of Deacon when he was young, was Deacon that annoying and mopey in his youth?

I get that we're supposed to get that he's in a tough spot, but he really needs to quit whining and getting himself pulled into stupid dramas all the time.

However, I am thankful that he and Kiley did not have sex at the end of the episode.

So Teddy's gonna be doing favors now? Yey. So his moping around this episode and saying his goodbyes was all for nothing.

At least this means Daphne might be okay.

Scarlett kicked ass this episode because A) That radio song was beautiful and her clapping was perfect, B) because she is actually in a place where she can be friends with Gunnar, C) she looked stunning at that country club party, D) because she called Gunnar on all his bullshit. Again!  You go girl! She's not better than anyone but she's trying to be a better person than her old self. I hope she stays with Caleb for good. I swear I love this guy! E) her hair was not as messy as usual.

Proactive!Rayna I missed you!

I was more moved by her scenes of silent desperation tonight, than last week. I just wish they stop using desperation and wanting to protect people you love to do dangerous and or stupid cliffhanger things.

Beverly was even more horrible when she was young. Are we supposed to root for her in the flashbacks? Or like understand her? Because honestly I saw was a self centered insecure bitch with a good voice (not great), who was betting on her brother to become famous. It's like a conformation that yep, she's never thought of anyone but herself. So I guess now she'll take the money and then use it to record an album?

Edited by raytch
  • Love 4

I totally forgot about Jeff and Lyla at the Jade party. Obviously Lyla is too young to handle this by herself. But I really can't stand Jeff and can't sympathize with him.

Are they seriously gonna pull the whole "I ruined your career to protect you". Lyla deserved to be on that tour, regardless of whether Jade is a backstabbing bitch or not.

Luke and Jade are over. Okay. Like wveryone said, what was the point? It's not like she even left a mark on him, 'she was just a mistake'.

I refuse to discuss Maddie and her crying face. If it wasn't for Juliette interfering I would've skipped through those scenes. Why does she get to not go to school? What kind of a normal reaction is that? I'm not a parent so I wouldn't know, but still thought it was weird...

• Love 3