Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E20: Time Changes Things

I'm with the "Kiley is lying about the rape" crowd, but I don't really care because I don't care about Gunnar of his stupidity or his problems.

The worst thing about this rape thing is that I don't know if she's lying or if it's just another case of them changing history. Because if she's lying about being raped to get back in Micah/Gunnar's good graces, she's...despicable. If it's another rewriting of history, I wish they would stop with this bullshit. You cannot establish a history and then treat it as an arbitrary guideline when you feel the need to change something down the road. 

Somebody lock Gunnar in his studio and only let him out to sing. Will and Cute Songwriter Dude can have the house.

Juliette you crazy pop up queen bee mother life coach of teenagers resurrected pop icon I love you!

Seriously! She was firing on all cylinders this episode. Her pop up concert idea was awesome. Her telling Bucky to go to hell cracked me up (and then the call back "what did you tell him" "I told him go to hell").

Her scenes with Avery were hot.

Her scenes with Deacon were so touching, I love how far these two have come. Remember in season 1 when she kept trying to sleep with him all the time?

The look on her face at the end of the episode means that we'll probably be facing the baby issues next week. I wouldn't be surprised if the season ends with her spiraling one more time. All her fears are compressed into that tiny baby girl, and I'm looking forward to see how this plays out.

Avery continues to be the best, I love how he understands where Juliette is right now and keeps trying to go about it 'in a different way'.

Yes. I love that girl. I love her husband too. Please don't mess up a good thing, Nashville. Please.

I totally forgot about Jeff and Lyla at the Jade party. Obviously Lyla is too young to handle this by herself. But I really can't stand Jeff and can't sympathize with him.

Are they seriously gonna pull the whole "I ruined your career to protect you". Lyla deserved to be on that tour, regardless of whether Jade is a backstabbing bitch or not.

Luke and Jade are over. Okay. Like wveryone said, what was the point? It's not like she even left a mark on him, 'she was just a mistake'.

Of course Jeff did it to save her! I'm hoping she fires his ass, explains the situation to Jade who will decide to take her under her wing. She can move to LA and Jeff can finally give up on Nashville and leave too. That'd be the best thing Jade could have done. If her character was brought in to "shed some light on Jeff's past," she failed. I have no more insight and I still don't care. 

• Love 6

I'm still trying to figure out who the Feds want more than Teddy. Lamar is dead and so is his empire, and Highway 65 seems squeaky clean so far. Jeff is a has been with no access to power anymore, and prosecuting him for shady things he did while at Edgehill would be appropriate, but not a big enough "get" for the FBI to involve Teddy. Hell, Teddy would sell out Jeff for free.

Are we going to get a revival of the "sell Maddie to Edgehill" storyline so Teddy can go undercover? Yuck. I hope not, but we've already got the return of Kiley when we hoped we'd seen the back of her, so revisiting Maddie/Edgehill may not be out of the question either.

This show is turning into a Shonda show, and trust me, that is NO compliment, Spouse abuse, rape, embezzlement, cheating, cancer, organ buying, teen sex, PPD and death. Anything they haven't covered? Like actual things real people in the music business go through? Is the music industry really so boring they have to add all this drama?

Rayna - I love that she wouldn't leave that horrible Beverly alone and finally wrote her a check - which I hope Beverly never gets to cash. She doesn't deserve that money.

Juliette - I liked her enthusiasm and Avery's support, but really Avery? You are going to throw away your singing career to be Juliette band member? And please, get a nanny already! One that your both pick out.

Gunnar - I just can't. Why are we bringing back this tired old plot and horrible ex and Not!Kid. Was really hoping they were both gone forever. Love his song with Scarlett though.

So now Luke is just a cowboy that likes the quiet life? How come when he and Rayna were together he was all about the publicity? I like this Luke much better, but continuity, show! 

• Love 4

We were THIS CLOSE to being rid of Teddy.

Lennon & Maisy were on GMA just now but they only got like 60 seconds to talk about their new children's book and sing a song (a few bars into which GMA cut to the next segment).

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 1

Juliette - I liked her enthusiasm and Avery's support, but really Avery? You are going to throw away your singing career to be Juliette band member? And please, get a nanny already! One that your both pick out.

I'm really hoping in S4 Avery can produce an album for an artist that doesn't shoot her ex or have a breakdown on stage. 

• Love 9

I don't think the writers do hate us. I think it's a fake out and Dashell is going to yell PUNKED in the finale.

As far as the rape storyline goes, it's offensive.

It would be different if they were doing it properly and raising it as awareness, but much like the Deacon's cancer/transplant, they are simply using it as a backdrop to create some nonsensical soapy bullshit within the characters.

And on a semi side note, let's consider for a moment that my hunch is correct and Beverly does donate but dies. Given how much Chip has been promoting organ donation surrounding this storyline, wouldn't it be slightly irresponsible of them to kill someone donating when in reality, only 1% of live liver donors die in surgery? I can see some of the more simple people being like "oh, but that one chick on TV died. Sorry, I can't do it."

• Love 9

So stupid Kiley claims she got drunk and had sex with Gunnar's brother?  I hate this storyline because it has two drunk people with all of the blame going on the dead brother and none of it on stupid Kiley who I think had Morning After Regret.  If she was that drunk she is at fault too.  Why did she go along with him, unless that was what she really wanted.  This is as tired of a storyline as Juliette's so-call post partum depression.  Juliette showed no signs of depression to me, just annoyance at having to tend to her child when she wanted to have sex with her husband.  Guess what Juliette?  That is life.

Poor Rayna is so desperate to save Deacon that she is willing to pay off the horrible sister.  That is just sad.  And hopefully we are now rid of Jade and her fake hair.  I liked that Luke packed it up and went home when Deacon called him.  But did Deacon ever call and tell Rayna?  How ticked off will Rayna be when she finds out that she was the last to know?  

I thought that they were way too easy on Maddie.  Skipping school is bad enough, but betraying your Father's trust by using his house to hook up with your boyfriend is awful.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I laughed for a good two minutes straight when I saw the flashback wig they put on Rayna. Big hair FTW!

Juliette had some great moments in this episode. I loved her scene with Maddie and then her breakdown with Deacon. I guess that kind of makes up for her temper tantrum with Bucky. I was seriously like CALM DOWN, GIRL, and stop putting words in his mouth. He never said your career was over so take a deep breath, stop being paranoid, and calm yourself. I hope she has enough money to pay for all the permits and fines she's going to get for throwing that concert. How much do you want to bet that she will try to get Highway 65 to pay for it instead though?

Deacon's sister remains the same self centered bitch who insists on painting herself as the victim. Yes, it's all Rayna's fault that you didn't become a star. The fact that she is still bitter about it after all this time just made me roll my eyes. I did kind of laugh that Rayna spent all day stalking her though.

Similarly, Gunnar can have a seat. First he hounds Scarlett about how they should get back together and is passive aggressive any time her boyfriend is even mentioned, and then he accuses her of being a stuck up snob because she had the audacity to run a comb through her tangled weave and put on a non-granny dress. HOW DARE SHE? I have no issue with wanting to stay true to yourself and remembering where you came from, but being a reverse snob and acting like Caleb is the worst ever just because he is a doctor is ridiculous. I have actually seen and heard that sentiment from artists about anyone who has a regular 9-5 job, as if having set hours and a steady paycheck somehow makes you the devil. But let's be real - Gunnar would have been a pouty brat about whoever Scarlett dated, even if it were a fellow musician who came from a similar background. He is just being an ass because he is jealous, which just makes it all tlhe more pathetic.

Honestly, I was hoping that Teddy would get dragged away in handcuffs so I hope his friend is playing him even more than the hooker was. Who did he say he works for? I am just wondering how he has the pull to get Teddy removed from a federal investigation.

Jade's party looked like a vodka commercial. It was just so cliche and silly. I was also cracking up that her VIP area was just the living room with a bodyguard. Loved that Jeff and Luke had their "I'm too old for this shit" solidarity. I guess yay that Layla and Jeff are back to being their assy selves? I wasn't sure how long they could maintain their schmoopiness (or how long I could handle watching it). But I totally called her having a new hair color every week!

So did the producers borrow the bad beach CGI from Revenge? That scene by the pool was as bad as all the times they had Emily standing on her porch with the beach in the background.

While I'm glad that Deacon didn't give Maddie a big slut shaming lecture, he still needs to yell at her for (1) ditching school (2) to sneak off to his house (3) to make out with her boyfriend. Even if they weren't having sex, those three things are still unacceptable behavior. Gawd, just make out after school like normal kids!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5

Are we supposed to know who Teddy's Federal Agent friend is? Has he been on before?  They mentioned that one of them was the best man in the other's wedding.  I just do not remember him, but the way he walked into Teddy's office, it seemed like we were supposed to know him.

Dashell Brinks is an old friend of Teddy's and was on in season 1 as the U.S. Attorney doing the audit of Teddy's credit union. He is the one who approached Peggy and Tandy in the finale and subsequently dealt with Tandy in the case against Lamar, if I remember correctly.

• Love 1

I'm okay with Deacon waiting to tell Rayna about Maddie and Colt when she comes home. That way she's not freaking out while on what he's thinking is a big business trip and the hymen is still intact. I hope her giving Bev that check doesn't backfire. Poor Bev, she always plays a horrible character, e.g., Tyra Colette's mother, but her voice is pretty. She is a selfish cow, though.

Poor Juliette. She has a seriously bad case of postpartum depression. I hope Avery handles it well, but if it's tough for him at first, hopefully he'll reach out to his mother, who is a very, very smart and sage lady. Loved the pop-up concert.

Liked Scarlett's country club frock a lot but OMG. why does someone of her size and stature need enough hair on her head for five people? Her arms must be totally worn out each time she styles it.

I was hoping we were done with Teddy. Hate that Kylie is back and totally do not believe her lies.

• Love 2

So stupid Kiley claims she got drunk and had sex with Gunnar's brother? I hate this storyline because it has two drunk people with all of the blame going on the dead brother and none of it on stupid Kiley who I think had Morning After Regret. If she was that drunk she is at fault too. Why did she go along with him, unless that was what she really wanted.

That's not what Kiley said, though. She said she was drunk, went upstairs to sleep it off, then woke up to Jason having sex with her. She didn't go along with him anywhere. If this is indeed what happened, then it's not her fault at all. The problem is that as it's written, we can only take her side of it because he's too dead to refute it. And unless Scarlett reams her out and gets her to admit it's a lie (please let that happen!), then it stands.

• Love 4

That's not what Kiley said, though. She said she was drunk, went upstairs to sleep it off, then woke up to Jason having sex with her. She didn't go along with him anywhere. If this is indeed what happened, then it's not her fault at all. The problem is that as it's written, we can only take her side of it because he's too dead to refute it. And unless Scarlett reams her out and gets her to admit it's a lie (please let that happen!), then it stands.

I do not believe her though.  I think she found out about Micah being at her parents from someone in their hometown and also found out about why he ended up with her parents, so now, for whatever reason, she has gone back to Gunnar to try to explain the "error" in Micah's paternity story.   It just seems like a lie. And Jason is no longer alive to tell his side of things, so her version is the only one.  It is a He Said/She Said except that He is not around to defend himself.  Jason seems to be the dumping ground for all things bad in Gunnar's life.

Dashell Brinks is an old friend of Teddy's and was on in season 1 as the U.S. Attorney doing the audit of Teddy's credit union. He is the one who approached Peggy and Tandy in the finale and subsequently dealt with Tandy in the case against Lamar, if I remember correctly.

Thank you, I knew it seemed like we were supposed to know him and his history with Teddy.

Edited by smiley13

I hope they didn't blow the budget on special effects this week as they were rubbish. The flashbacks did have comedy value - I laughed my head off - but obviously this detracted from the story they were trying to tell. I'd much prefer to keep Rayna and Deacon's back story in my imagination, thanks all the same. I agree with someone further up who said that in S1 the story was that they met when Rayna was 16. These flashbacks (the same 40-something faces but with big hair - even if it was CGI it didn't work) tramped all over that.

I'm finished with Nashville if they have Deacon and Rayna falling out over illegal organ donation.

I liked the present day stuff with Deacon, Rayna, Beverly, Juliet, Avery and Maddie but have blocked out everything else. It's so clunky.

I can see some of the more simple people being like "oh, but that one chick on TV died. Sorry, I can't do it."

Yes but she was terrible!

would be the right response. I'm not saying that awful people should die but it's a TV show...

This pisses me off honeslty because I loved the actress on Friday Night Lights as Mrs. Colette.

Similarly, Gunnar can have a seat. First he hounds Scarlett about how they should get back together and is passive aggressive any time her boyfriend is even mentioned, and then he accuses her of being a stuck up snob because she had the audacity to run a comb through her tangled weave and put on a non-granny dress. HOW DARE SHE? I have no issue with wanting to stay true to yourself and remembering where you came from, but being a reverse snob and acting like Caleb is the worst ever just because he is a doctor is ridiculous. I have actually seen and heard that sentiment from artists about anyone who has a regular 9-5 job, as if having set hours and a steady paycheck somehow makes you the devil. But let's be real - Gunnar would have been a pouty brat about whoever Scarlett dated, even if it were a fellow musician who came from a similar background. He is just being an ass because he is jealous, which just makes it all tlhe more pathetic.

So did the producers borrow the bad beach CGI from Revenge? That scene by the pool was as bad as all the times they had Emily standing on her porch with the beach in the background.

I couldn't have said it better about Gunnar. For someone in his mid twenties he acts like such a teenager. He obviously still has a lot of growing up t do because part of growing up is understanding that YOU ARE NOT ONE THING EXCLUSIVELY. You know who said that? Avery, who has really matured in 3 seasons given that he started out even more self centered than Gunnar.

What happened to the Gunnar we met at first? The one who silently liked Scarlett and didn't make a move until she has broke it off with Avery?

I know that he's bound to grow up and get his shit together at some point but geez, it's unbearable to watch!

Ditto on the CGI, that was horrendous.

One last thing, about Kiley faking it. There's no way of ever finding out for sure. But I hope the show doesn't go there because having women pledge on their plausible deniability is the worst you can ever do on a TV show, and it fails every time.

Edited by raytch
  • Love 1

would be the right response. I'm not saying that awful people should die but it's a TV show...

This pisses me off honeslty because I loved the actress on Friday Night Lights as Mrs. Colette.

She had more depth on Friday Night Lights...because the writers and show creators were better. No matter how bad Angela Colette got, or even how misguided and sometimes mean she was with Tyra, you got her and felt for her because you understood who she was. She also showed many moments of love for Tyra, even when she was saying things like, "Honey, don't apply to college, you'll just get your hopes up and be disappointed." And she was fun! Road trip to State! Beverly is just a horrible person who abused her kid, hates Rayna for no reason, and wants to punish Deacon for going after success. It's very hard to empathize with Beverly because she's one dimensionally bad. No one has actually done anything mean to her and she's just being nasty to everyone, whereas Angela Colette, while crazy and a drunk, really loved her family and would have given Tyra her liver in a second...though it was probably too shriveled and diseased for that. Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 12

If Rayna has $1M to throw around, she'd be better off contracting with a hit man to get rid of Deacon's sister (and her bad wig).  I can just see it now, calling the cops and the EMTs before the hit so that they'll be around to grab the liver and airlift it up to Nashville.  I'm figuring a gunshot, so the liver could be intact and transplantable?  At least Beverly wouldn't be alive and therefore wouldn't be able to blab about receiving money to sell her organs.

• Love 3

Beverly: What can I get for ya?

Rayna: Yer liver*.

I was so sure the answer was going to be "the liver special.  Without fried onions." 

Put me in the camp that thinks Kiley has learned about revisionist history and invented a doozey for Gunner.  He really only has Scarlett and Avery to trust; his own family/past love connections have been nothing but disappointment. 

• Love 4

She had more depth on Friday Night Lights...

Different character on a different show that has nothing at all to do with this show.

Beverly is a bitter rotten person at this point.  But was she bitter and rotten back when she chose not to go with Deacon to work for Rayna?  Did she become a drunk after that?  It is doubtful that she had Scarlett yet so she would not have been a horrible Mother yet.  Did her issues arise after Deacon attained success and she realized that she had missed the boat so to speak?  I know the story has been that Deacon and Beverly had a bad childhood, but just when did Beverly become so awful?

Different character on a different show that has nothing at all to do with this show.

Beverly is a bitter rotten person at this point.  But was she bitter and rotten back when she chose not to go with Deacon to work for Rayna?  Did she become a drunk after that?  It is doubtful that she had Scarlett yet so she would not have been a horrible Mother yet.  Did her issues arise after Deacon attained success and she realized that she had missed the boat so to speak?  I know the story has been that Deacon and Beverly had a bad childhood, but just when did Beverly become so awful?

Right. That's my point. We don't know, and because Beverly has no depth and has been painted with a single brush, most of us also don't care. The other well-known character this same actress played who had a similar difficult and lousy life was painted with more than one brush. That's why we've made the comparison.

I was so sure the answer was going to be "the liver special.  Without fried onions."

Ha! Awful, and yet...awesome.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

Right. That's my point. We don't know, and because Beverly has no depth and has been painted with a single brush, most of us also don't care. The other well-known character this same actress played who had a similar difficult and lousy life was painted with more than one brush. That's why we've made the comparison.

Well known character??  Perhaps to some, but I have never seen the actress before.  Beverly has the potential to be quite interesting and I would love to know how she became the way she is, and I would love to know about Scarlett's Father.  Has he been mentioned?  And are both of Deacon and Beverly's parents gone?  There are so many characters on this show that we do not get the background on everyone.

I was referring to the overall idea of it in correlation to how Chip has been going out on his own and using this storyline to promote organ donation.

He's doing this really awesome thing (because he's a really awesome guy) and these troll writers would be turning around and making it look like if you donate your liver, you'll croak. In reality, there's a 99% chance you won't.

Just like instead of giving him kidney cancer or bone cancer or any other kind of cancer that anyone can get, they give him this kind of cancer because it adds a soapy punch. Instead of getting rid of Kiley, she comes back with a rape allegation against a dead guy.

It's kind of disgusting how these writers irresponsibly use legit issues and topics to further their soap agenda.

And are both of Deacon and Beverly's parents gone? There are so many characters on this show that we do not get the background on everyone.

The mother is definitely deceased and it can be assumed that the father is as well if we base it on their usage of past tense when they refer to him, but I'm willing to bet if they do kill Beverly he will come out of the woodwork. Why not, right?

I will accept no one to play him but Keith Richards.

• Love 3

When Beverly, Scarlett, and Deacon are singing in the kitchen Deacon tells Scarlett it was her"grandmama's song" and Beverly says something like "I can't believe you even remember it; she died such a long time ago."

• Love 1

I know it's a minor character, but how long before Bucky bails and heads to Luke's label? He and Luke seemed to be in synch about thoughts on new artists and Rayna ignored him on the whole Layla thing, and the look on his face last night with Julliete said volumes of about how tired he is of babysitting divas instead of making music. Really nice work by the actor with such little screen time. And given how much my Luke love has grown I fully support him makingt he move.

Says a lot that Julliete ignored Maddie saying she was going to be a great mom and Deacon saying pretty much the same thing, and she ignored all that and only took away from the incident Deacon's reminding her how her doing whatever SHE wants is what made her a star in the first place.

Kiley's return and storyline is just offensive and sickening. Alexa Vega should run from this show and run fast.

• Love 1

I will accept no one to play him but Keith Richards.

I would have never thought of that, but now I so want this to happen. 

Awesome!

• Love 1

Did anybody else laugh when Micah hung up on Kylie? Thank God they didn't make it that easy for her.

She had more depth on Friday Night Lights...because the writers and show creators were better. No matter how bad Angela Colette got, or even how misguided and sometimes mean she was with Tyra, you got her and felt for her because you understood who she was. She also showed many moments of love for Tyra, even when she was saying things like, "Honey, don't apply to college, you'll just get your hopes up and be disappointed." And she was fun! Road trip to State! Beverly is just a horrible person who abused her kid, hates Rayna for no reason, and wants to punish Deacon for going after success. It's very hard to empathize with Beverly because she's one dimensionally bad. No one has actually done anything mean to her and she's just being nasty to everyone, whereas Angela Colette, while crazy and a drunk, really loved her family and would have given Tyra her liver in a second...though it was probably too shriveled and diseased for that.

That was one of my favorite episodes. Because Landry. I do think that Beverly has a background that we could potentially be sympathetic to if she was fleshed out a little more. After all, Deacon has the same background and he is beloved for the most part. She seems like a borderline/narcissistic personality to me. Both martyr and victim at the same time. The more screen time she gets the more I sympathize with Scarlett for having grown up with her as a parent. 

Says a lot that Julliete ignored Maddie saying she was going to be a great mom and Deacon saying pretty much the same thing, and she ignored all that and only took away from the incident Deacon's reminding her how her doing whatever SHE wants is what made her a star in the first place.

I didn't feel like she ignored it as much as she felt conflicted or even ashamed about it. She doesn't feel that she is/can be a great mom so she couldn't accept their compliments. 

• Love 1

Just a quick thought ... and I know the show can't be too literal about these types of things, because it'd be hard to tell at least some of the stories they go for. But Rayna James is the "Queen of Country," right? On par with, say, a Faith Hill (in our real world) in terms of her fame and recognition? So she flies into Biloxi to stalk her lover's sister Beverly. She tracks her all around over the course of a long day and several aborted conversations, at least a couple of which take place in some very public settings. And yet -- unless I missed something -- not ONE person in the whole city seems to notice that standing right over there trying to talk to Beverly is the famous Rayna James?

Small town. Wouldn't that kind of cause a stir?

• Love 5

Just a quick thought ... and I know the show can't be too literal about these types of things, because it'd be hard to tell at least some of the stories they go for. But Rayna James is the "Queen of Country," right? On par with, say, a Faith Hill (in our real world) in terms of her fame and recognition? So she flies into Biloxi to stalk her lover's sister Beverly. She tracks her all around over the course of a long day and several aborted conversations, at least a couple of which take place in some very public settings. And yet -- unless I missed something -- not ONE person in the whole city seems to notice that standing right over there trying to talk to Beverly is the famous Rayna James?

Small town. Wouldn't that kind of cause a stir?

In this day of camera phones, someone would have taken a picture and tweeted it or something, then Deacon could have found out what Rayna was doing.  So in the real world, I agree with you, someone certainly would have photographed her.

The last movie that was made here, people were all about getting pictures of the stars out and about.  The actress girlfriend of one of the stars was pretty rude to people about it too.  She was not even in the movie and was certainly not the one people cared about so her attitude was kind of funny.  She had quite the inflated ego for no reason.

Guys, I really like Teddy as a dad and I don't want him to go anywhere! Also, this is totally going to blow up and Daphne is going to turn into a poor, tragic orphan in comparison to Rayna-Deacon-Maddie and their perfect nuclear family. Also, even though the US Attorney's Office is supposedly offering him a deal I totally don't trust Teddy to get his own lawyer and make sure that everything is in order. This is Teddy and the only thing he doesn't seem to screw up is parenting Daphne.

• Love 4

So Rayna has enough money that she can write checks for a million dollars? Because I thought she pretty much went into hock to start Highway 65. Or is this money from Lamar's estate. Sorry but I pay less and less attention.

• Love 1

Yes, she inherited Lamar's money. Remember there was that episode where she was crying or being sad at his house after the settling of the estate...or something? Luke was there and he was telling her she could just stay home and be his wife now that she was super rich.

So Rayna has enough money that she can write checks for a million dollars? Because I thought she pretty much went into hock to start Highway 65. Or is this money from Lamar's estate. Sorry but I pay less and less attention.

It doesn't matter because they change the story from week to week.  Things that were presented as fact in prior eps are forgotten if they don't meet the needs of this weeks story (e.g., Rayna and Deacon cutting their teeth together as performers versus this week Rayna hires Deacon to be a guitarist on her tour).  

Although my eyes were tired last night and I thought the check she wrote was for a $1,000.  Now I know that it was me ol' eyes playing tricks on me, but that generated an evil laugh.

Scarlett looked quite nice in her country club duds and her hair was reasonably well contained.  I'm not normally a fan of hers, but Gunnar was a total ass to her when she came by after.  I'm glad she let him have it right back because he had no leg to stand on with his attack.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 1

What's to stop Beverly from just cashing the check and still refusing to donate the liver?  There was no agreement, no contract.  Is a public figure like Rayna going to admit that she tried to buy a liver for her dying lover?   

I was thinking that was part of the point. It's obvious that Beverly feels slighted by Rayna's success and relationship with Deacon (the latter of which is a little weird, but whatever) and by Scarlett/Deacon seeming to want her for nothing but her organs. So for Rayna, it was a hail Mary pass, hoping that Beverly would prefer success to holding her grudges. I think she'd have to be prepared to lose both the money and the liver. Plus, since there was technically no arrangement, it could just look like Rayna giving money to a down-and-out family member, less "can I buy your liver" and more "rejoin the clan...and then give us your liver."

So stupid Kiley claims she got drunk and had sex with Gunnar's brother?  I hate this storyline because it has two drunk people with all of the blame going on the dead brother and none of it on stupid Kiley who I think had Morning After Regret.  If she was that drunk she is at fault too.  Why did she go along with him, unless that was what she really wanted. 

Nooooo, let's not go down this road. Yes, it's possible that she lied about being raped; we have no way of knowing for sure, but if we take her at her word, then the sex was not the least bit consensual and she is not at all to blame. Her drunkenness level has zero to do with anything. Also, she did not "go along with him;" she woke up to find him on top of her.

I'm hoping she's not lying, anyway. Very few women who report being raped are lying about it, and it would be irresponsible of this show to even imply that it's commonplace. 

• Love 21

Not only too much of the mentally ill, delusional Beverly...too much Beverly singing..ugh.  I just can't stand her face.

Just when we thought Gunnar was moving on, Kylie returns with an explanation and Gunnar falls right back into the abyss and drags us with him... please no more Micah..please

I am not minding Luke and Jeff lately.  Don't judge me. However what did the CA storyline accomplish?  Nothing?  Ok.

I'm glad Juliet is back but I am uncomfortable at her selfishness with regard to the baby.

My worlds collided last night when Bucky and Glenn got together.  They've been the same person to me since Season 1.

As far as Maddie, Rayna needs to stay home and be a parent. I'm glad Teddy is not dying/leaving.

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 2

So if your ex-girlfriend shows up on your doorstep, someone who abandoned her young son to go run off with a guy and told you the kid was yours and then left, and then returns and says she lied, but only because the kid is your brother's and he raped me -- is your first and only reaction to believe her? And then console her? I know the brother was supposed to be a troublemaker, but it's his brother! And how convenient - he's dead, so he can't defend himself. I would think Gunnar would be angry at the accusation, or at least ask more questions or take more time to process this awful story the ex-gf just told him.

This! So much this! Grrrr...

I readily admit to having a high tolerance for Gunnar. I think Sam Palladio is adorable and has a lovely voice. I admit I want him to eventually be with Scarlet, though I wish they would stop with the weird shifting personalities he has around her. But enough with the Michah/ Kylie/ Jason high drama already. Not only is it ridiculous, but SP's reaction faces to all the DRAMATIC NEWS are just... unintentionally hilarious. I think he's a decent actor in most situations, but whenever he's in a super serious/ high stakes scene, he doesn't perform well. Just saying. He's much better with the friendship (Will, Avery) and love (Scarlett) stuff.

I'm wondering if Teddy's super-secret get-out-of-jail assignment will turn dangerous, ending in his death and a liver for Deacon?

• Love 3

Shout out to that check for being dated April 29, 2015. I love it when shows make the show-universe date match up with the real-world air date. There's absolutely no reason to do it, but I LOVE IT.

• Love 9

Shout out to that check for being dated April 29, 2015. I love it when shows make the show-universe date match up with the real-world air date. There's absolutely no reason to do it, but I LOVE IT.

You are observant.  I would not have ever noticed that.

• Love 1

What's to stop Beverly from just cashing the check and still refusing to donate the liver?  There was no agreement, no contract.  Is a public figure like Rayna going to admit that she tried to buy a liver for her dying lover?   

I guess we know what to expect in the season finale. 

(edited)

What really bugged me was Scarlett telling the dj that they had "lots of offers" for recording contracts. Considering how she bailed on Rayna's label, that should be their first stop.

And if one more member leaves the band, I vote for "The X" as the new name.

Edited by dbell1

I vaguely remember that there was a time when I liked Gunnar.  Now, unless he’s singing with Scarlett and/or Avery, I cannot stand to look at him.  The only thing worse than dealing with Kiley is if we have to see Micah again.  Yes Gunnar, your pain is so overwhelming, what with seeing your ex you had not seen in ten years (get over it!) and having your son/nephew that you instabonded with happily living with his grandparents.  And now your non-son is the product of rape.  I just cannot feel anything for him, mainly because of the mopey mcmoperson face of extreme mopeyness he sports. 

The purpose of the Luke and Jade relationships that I can imagine is Luke potentially coming to the realization that he cannot be happy playing second fiddle in a relationship.  One of his big issues with Rayna was shown when she won more awards than he did.  Now he was uncomfortable with Jade being the center of attention.  At the same time, it was so hard to take his scenes with Jade seriously.  First we have the worst use of a green screen ever with the supposed beach scene.  Then we have Luke and Jeff bonding over their inability to deal with the women in their lives being the center of attention. 

Beverly’s backstory was just soooo stupid.  Deacon decided to pursue a PAID music career with a woman he was attracted to and Beverly could have come along as a backup singer.  Oh, the humanity!  Had that not happened, she would have been a huge star!  They were setting it up like rape or torture should have been part of her past, not freakin’ Kiley’s, with the extra dramatic black and white flashbacks.   If only they had used the black and white to show her unable to crack an egg or strain spaghetti.

I've noticed that when you do something nice on this show, your reward is that someone will confide in you that Deacon has liver cancer.

As a corollary, if everyone was always an asshole would Deacon not have gotten cancer or would he just never tell them?  

• Love 3

The dialogue between Luke and Jade was painful.

WTH with wigs on this show?!

So the true purpose of Triple Xs was to ultimately get Scarlett and Gunnar performing as a duo and presumably fall in love again? Ugh! I like Scarlett with Caleb even though he isn't terribly exciting. Gunnar has been the recipient of too many dead-end, dopey story lines. Run, Scarlett, run!

How come everyone is able to just walk in to Rayna's house?

Note to writers: please no more of Kiley or Micah. No one cares.

Can we have a spin-off with Bucky, Glen and Daphne?

• Love 3