Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E21: Al Sah-him

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Oliver goes through a rigorous transformation. The League of Assassins sets their sites on Nyssa, who is back in Starling City training Laurel. When Nyssa realizes they are coming, she arms up to face them alone but Laurel asks Felicity and Diggle to help protect her new friend.

Well that happened. Here are my live thoughts as it happened for the most part.

This show makes me drink a lot more wine during finale season. Oh my god.

It took three years but we finally had some pretty decent Felicity and Thea scenes. The one at dinner was adorable.

The canary cry was the most underwhelming and weak portrayal of it that I've ever seen...and I watched the Birds of Prey television series. So that's saying something.

Nyssa is such a bad ass. I really love her so much, she should stay. Comics wise, I really don't think Ra's would ever try to kill his daughter(s).

Yay Felicity and Dig scenes. Yay Baby Sara!

Wtf, Lyla?! be strong girl!! This is some shit, you don't leave a baby alone, I don't care if you're assassins or not.

Oh Thea, I adore you so much. You're the best. How I want Thea to be Artemis

From Young Justice in her soon coming super hero persona.

Ah. That Felicity scene at the end in the foundry was completely heartbreaking.

• Love 6

I love that Stephen’s mom texted him, "You don't want to see my face after that fight scene... you are really nasty,” after the big fight scene. Go Stephen’s mom! I think we all felt that way.

This episode is one of my favorites of the season if for no other reason than multiple Felicity and Diggle scenes! Multiple Felicity and Thea scenes! It takes so little to make me happy, show. But my favorite characters being in character and spending time with with each other will do it every time. I'm gonna stay happy by pretending all the Oliver/Ra's shit didn't happen.

“And here comes the CAT 5 prong into the ethernet port.” Hee! That cracked me up so much. And Sara’s “Daddy’s getting a costume?” look was adorable. Now I want webisodes that are about nothing by family dinners at the Diggles’ and Felicity and Thea feeding Sara.

My jaw literally dropped when they revealed Oliver kidnapped Lyla. Dayum, R’as Ollie Ghul! That was cold as fuck.

Diggle and not!Oliver fighting broke my heart. But yay for badass Thea! And I loved Felicity’s “Don’t you dare touch me.” My girl has steel in her spine and I love her for it.

I was so pissed at the Ra's’ predictable plan to have Oliver marry Nyssa, but SA literally made me burst out laughing with his

face.

Finally, can we keep Nyssa? Not as Oliver's wife, obviously, but just as the badass bitch that she is.

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 10

That wedding's going to be a shitshow. And what's up with Oliver with his deeper voice and his sociopath setting dialed up to ten? R'as played him. There was never a chance of turning the League into a force for good.

Did Felicity REALLY just call Oliver 'Ollie'? REALLY?! REALLY???? 

Ugh. I'm gonna tweet the arrow writers room to never do that again. 

Otherwise, since i expected nothing out of the episode I thought it was good. I got everything I wanted out of the interactions between Diggle/Felicity, Thea/Felicity, Lyla/Felicity, Oliver/Felicity, Thea/Diggle, Baby Sara/Everyone... 

Because they mentioned Nyssa/Oliver getting married in this episode, I really don't think its them getting married. I'm thinking the writers are gonna go for the whole 'shock' thing and switch Nyssa out or something... IDK

That last scene though... It was just so sad :/ 

• Love 7

Oliver marrying Ra's al Ghul's daughter --

Unleashing a virus into the city's water --

STOP STEALING FROM BATMAN, ARROW.

This episode was so dumb.

Oh Lord. I didn't even realize the Contagion rip off. Lame sauce.

• Love 3

good god, does katrina law keep getting hotter by ever appearance. it's becoming a problem. ;)

and while ra's was disappointed in nyssa, i think he was never going to let her die. she is his daughter and this way the punishment fits her "weak ass gay" crime sort of speak.

• Love 1

So much female interaction. Take notes, Flash writers!

I love these people. Even when they're psycho and killing people, I still love them, dammit. Tonight, I even liked Laurel. Never change, Felicity.

Assassins who kidnap your wife? Evil. Leaving a baby crying alone in her apartment? Evilest. 

• Love 4

Did Felicity REALLY just call Oliver 'Ollie'? REALLY?! REALLY???? 

OMG. When did that happen? I'm so glad I missed it, but my mind is scarred just from knowing about it.

• Love 1

Wonderwall, I think felicity calling him Ollie was more for Thea to relate to what she was saying, not that Felicity actually thinks of him as Ollie. Like she wanted Thea to remember that her big brother. Ollie was what she should remember and love. To her he's strictly Oliver.

I honestly thought that Nyssa was being brought back as punishment for resurrecting Crazy!Sara...too bad.

• Love 12

Thea getting her hero on and shooting Oliver was pretty awesome.  Good performances aside, I wasn't crazy about this episode.

Laurel hid what happened with Oliver from Nyssa...what a shock.  Glad Nyssa called her out on it.  She annoyed me again tonight.  This isn't a knock but she looked so silly opening her mouth for the canary cry.

And of course, let's wait a few weeks before we tell Thea that ROY IS ALIVE.  What the hell is wrong with these people?  Do they get off sexually by withholding important information from the people they claim to love?

Good Felicity and Thea scenes.  Glad we got some more Lyla.

• Love 8

Katrina Law makes me perk up everytime she appears on screen. Swoon just Swoon I tell you. 

Do the flashbacks have a point now or ..... 

I loved all the Diggle moments we got tonight and seeing Thea in full Speedy mode was awesome, but the Canary Cry the freakin CANARY CRY was so blah I couldn't believe how unimportant they made it. 

• Love 3

really hate MG that's just so fucking insulating. Misogynistic piece of shit, yes please by all means lets force a (gay) woman into marriage. Surprised he didn't instruct them to breed.

The Canary Cry was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Seriously! Hysterically bad, I laughed so hard. Sara's device was better and more powerful.

this was actually a mostly boring episode with a few good scenes, D/F, dinner scene, both F/T scenes.

Oh and Buckles still can't fight, she needed a rescue from a common street mugger and her lack of skills resulted in Nyssa getting taken.

• Love 17

Right--Felicity said "Oliver" first to Thea, and then corrected to "Ollie" to try to get through to her about living her life because it's what he wanted for her.

It was sort of hard to concentrate on the actual events of the episode because I was full of dread the whole time. Basically all worst-case scenarios went down, so that was not great, but at the same time, I did think there were a number of really good scenes and moments. Oliver was...yikes, and it was really hard to watch him like that with his loved ones.

All this Ra's marriage/ruin your hometown stuff is absolutely insane soap opera shit. I don't want to hear another peep about how O/F are the soap opera here--they can't hold a candle to the soapiness of the comic book elements.

Speaking of that, why didn't Laurel have her Canary Cry at the fight with the LOA? Seems like it would have been useful?

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 16

Katrina Law is the best thing that ever happened to this season. She is amazing, and Nyssa is a stone cold bad ass.

The wedding thing is pretty messed up, but, man, the looks on Oliver and Nyssa`s faces when they heard about the marriage plan? Priceless. They both looked like they had been forced to inhale lemons. 

• Love 8

When she was talking to Thea. She called him Oliver and then "Ollie" for Thea.

Thanks! I just rewatched the scene, and in that context, it's acceptable. That's pretty much the only circumstance in which it will ever be acceptable, LOL.

• Love 5

you'd think that this canary cry would be a bit more epic, especially compared to smallville and birds of prey which are at least a decade old.

#techdowngrade

I love...abd I mean all caps LOVE Birds of Prey but I hated the Lori louglan whistle cry.
  • Love 1

I legitimately cried out seeing "Diggle" getting "killed" by Oliver. Felicity was heartbreaking seeing the man she loves in LOA Garb and Crying alone at the old Arrow Cave :( loved her telling Maseo "don't you dare touch me". Felicity told Thea she loves Oliver! And told Thea where she can find Roy. Felicity screaming "WE TRUSTED YOU" looks heartbreaking in the preview. I'm really hoping she or Thea breaks through to Oliver. Poor Diggle looking at his brother kidnapping his wife and almost killing him

• Love 1

All this Ra's marriage/ruin your hometown stuff is absolutely insane soap opera shit. I don't want to hear another peep about how O/F are the soap opera here--they can't hold a candle to the soapiness of the comic book elements.

My god, this. The next time someone starts with that foolishness, I will point them to that scene and tell them to kindly STFU.

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 14

Haven't commented on Arrow in a while but I found this episode pretty good.

The flashbacks are really just bad at this point. They really could have wrapped up everything in like a couple of sentences.

KL is really great as Nyssa. She has created such a complex character. I enjoyed seeing so many different sides of her this ep. Surprisingly she and KC have really good chemistry and have more tension than KC and SA did.

SA as evil Oliver was really good. The change in his voice not so much.

The group dinner was really good as mentioned by others loved the expression of the baby about Diggle getting a costume.

Thea was great this episode. Loved her interactions with Felicity.

• Love 6

I liked Laurel and Nyssa's friendship - I hope Nyssa wades through all this bullshit and becomes a friend and ally (which looks promising, since Nyssa stole the virus from her father and WAS I JUST NOT POSTING ABOUT HOW IT WOULD BE AWESOME if she and Ra's had a falling out over moral "code"?). She softens her - I liked their scenes together. 

What I did not like was Laurel shaming Diggle for wanting Nyssa to turn herself in so he could get Lyla back. THAT WOMAN KIDNAPPED YOUR MOTHER, DO YOU NOT REMEMBER THIS? She's got a sad story and yeah, you've been sharing fries and milkshakes, but fuck you for shaming a guy trying to rescue his wife and the mother of his child. Ugh. 

Also...did Diggle have earplugs in or what? How was he the only one not affected by the Cry?  

• Love 9

I love...abd I mean all caps LOVE Birds of Prey but I hated the Lori louglan whistle cry.

me too. :)

it needed more harley quinn though. i really liked mia sara in the role.

• Love 3

I really, really hope that Nyssa gets to kick Ra's ass to kingdom come in the upcoming season finale. I'm so sick of watching her being humiliated over and over and over again.

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 11

The good:  lots of Felicity, Diggle, and scenes that pass the Bechdel test. If it weren't for the sister-swapping, I'd be shipping Nyssa/Laurel.

The bad:  how utter predictable.  Just take the worst, the most obvious theory, and poof! it's on screen.

Dear Ra's:  when a child steals food and hides it, it's a sign that they have huge emotional troubles and feel like they can't trust the people in their world to take care of them. Not that they are a natural-born thief.

I hope Nyssa hid the real virus back in Starling City and this is a fake that Felicity cooked up.  Please, leave Team Arrow some brains.

So the terrible thing he did was kidnapping Lyla (called it, just saying) and he's definitely brainwashed and told to marry Nyssa?

I don't think he is brainwashed. He kidnapped Lyla, the person most able to take care of herself.  But kidnapping her when he's sane is even more unforgivable.

I almost threw up when Ra's told him he had to marry Nyssa. I'm sure Nyssa had the same reaction.

• Love 9

So. The Canary Cry? I don't...understand? It shatters windows? And makes people turn around? But doesn't actually have any other impact on people? It seems like just yelling, "Hey!" at someone would have the same effect. With less property damage.

I kind of have this mental image of Cisco watching this on some monitor in Central City like "You used it wrong!"

• Love 12

What was the reason given for why he has to marry her?  Because otherwise she's a potential Heir?

Did he take Diggle to NP, or is Diggle okay and reunited with the fam?  

They really chose the worst of all possible options for all of this shit.  I'm still beyond enraged that he's now evil, and that they're making a gay woman marry a dude.

• Love 2

I guess I'll be the first to dissent and say I thought the canary cry was pretty cool.   I actually like Laurel now....I hated her in S1 and S2, and a little in S3, but she is growing on me.

Loved all the Diggle/Felicity stuff and the Felicity/Thea stuff. 

Thea was badass and I loved it.

• Love 4

What was the reason given for why he has to marry her?  Because otherwise she's a potential Heir?

They really chose the worst of all possible options for all of this shit.  I'm still beyond enraged that he's now evil, and that they're making a gay woman marry a dude.

He said it was to unite their families. 

Diggle wasn't in NP - it was a hallucination from the drugs Ra's is giving him. Diggle's okay and he was with the fam until he sent Lyla and Sara off to a safe house.

• Love 2

The writers continually have Emily act in dramatic scenes. And she always falls short imo. You'd think they'd learn. 

Didn't see most of the ep...but I gather there were no Thea/Laurel scenes or mentions? 

First, love Lyla and her badass duel guns a blazing - at least she knows when its ok for the good guys to kill.

Second, Felicity - I love you and enjoyed all your scenes, but you should have told Thea about Roy a couple of weeks ago - that is all.

Third, so yea if you get permission to leave the league and independently from them setup a machine that kills 500 innocent people, you get a blood debt assigned to you and the league hunts you down because we don't kill innocents.  On the other hand, if you ascend to become Ra's a freakin' gual - you have to kill a whole city of innocent people because they represent your past. Got it. Sure, makes perfect sense. No problem at all with this dear writers.

So now I officially think Malcolm was working for Ra's all along and that's why he targeted Sara of all people.  Ra's had already decided on Oliver to replace him, he had Malcolm target Sara to remove her as a threat to the marriage he wanted between Oliver and Nyssa, and he's the one who sent Maseo to save Oliver so that he could use this stupid fake prophesy to justify Oliver as his choice.

• Love 18

So now I officially think Malcolm was working for Ra's all along and that's why he targeted Sara of all people.  Ra's had already decided on Oliver to replace him, he had Malcolm target Sara to remove her as a threat to the marriage he wanted between Oliver and Nyssa, and he's the one who sent Maseo to save Oliver so that he could use this stupid fake prophesy to justify Oliver as his choice.

that would be some elaborate matchmaking. ra's should quit the assassination business and get into that.

Edited by tanita
  • Love 7

I rarely think Emily falls short in the emotional scenes I almost cried during her and Thea's little exchange at the end and did tear up at the end. I think she sells it very well.

• Love 23

Part of me kind of respects that Ra's isn't a magnificent bastard like Malcolm, charismatic and commanding like Slade was, or the show-stealer, like Harrison Wells is on The Flash.  Ra's is just an unlikable dick.  I mean, seriously: his whole spiel with Oliver was "Be my heir, or I'm going harm everyone you love."  So, Oliver finally breaks.  But, guess what?  Ra's endgame is to unleash the virus on Starling City, which is full of people Oliver, well, loves and cares for.  So, unless he's going to kindly give them a warning, Ra's is just an asshole.

And, then, of course he sicks Oliver on Nyssa for leaving the league, because heaven forbid, she wasn't going to stick around after he picked Oliver over her to be the heir, and now he's going to force her to marry him.  Great father right there.  Almost wished they went all out and flat-out made him an open homophobic.  Be all "Here's a man for you!  No more dating women for you!  Give me a grandchild!" about it.  Just make him the worst.  Now, there's a wedding I hope gets the Game of Thrones treatment.  Go full Red Wedding on the League!  Oliver and Nyssa will live, since the groom/bride survive.  Just make Maseo the Roose Bolton of this scenario, and I'll be set!

I really know I need to stop gushing over Katrina Law, but I just can't help it.  How she isn't actually headlining her own show is beyond me.  She is just so awesome as Nyssa, and all of her scenes with everyone are great.  Her relationship with Laurel is easily the best Laurel's been in ages.  Not only does it provide friendly moments, she doesn't soften blows with her: love her pointed out how stupid it is for her to keep secrets still, after the clusterfuck that went down with Quentin.  Go Nyssa!

As much as I love her though, I can understand why Diggle and Felicity were hesitant at first to help, since they aren't as close to her as Laurel is, and probably still have memories of when they were at odds.  And I can understand Diggle being furious over what happened to Lyla, and lashing out like he did.  Great acting all around in all those scenes.  David Ramsey in particular, was owning it.  Makes it even more frustrating he was underutilized so much this season.  I can only hope they writers woke up and are going to rectify this next season.

I'm sure something will happen that will bring Oliver back, but until then, looks like he's totally drinking the Kool-Aid, and there isn't a way to get through to him.  Had it not been for Thea, I honestly wonder if he would have killed Diggle.  He sure did during the hallucination.

Glad Thea is taking a stand, and getting involved.  And I loved the Thea/Felicity stuff.  There's a duo right there, that could have been used more often.  But, it looks like she is off to find Roy now.

I'm guessing the Canary Cry is suppose to sound ugly, in order to keep with this show's more "realistic" approach to things.  I sure hope so.  If not, Cisco must secretly hate Laurel, and was totally trolling her.

The flashbacks just seemed to be a long set-up to reveal the kid has been infected, but I guess it was cool seeing Tatsu kick ass.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 13

The writers continually have Emily act in dramatic scenes. And she always falls short imo. You'd think they'd learn. 

Didn't see most of the ep...but I gather there were no Thea/Laurel scenes or mentions? 

To each their own. I though Emily did well in this episode.  

Thea and Laurel didn't have any scenes, but I think it's because Laurel was trying her best to protect Nyssa. It would've been weird if Laurel left Nyssa's side in this episode. 

• Love 3

Unite their families and given his line about her blood, I think it was heavily implied he wanted her to have a child and pass his blood line to the new heir.

• Love 3

First, love Lyla and her badass duel guns a blazing - at least she knows when its ok for the good guys to kill.

Second, Felicity - I love you and enjoyed all your scenes, but you should have told Thea about Roy a couple of weeks ago - that is all.

Third, so yea if you get permission to leave the league and independently from them setup a machine that kills 500 innocent people, you get a blood debt assigned to you and the league hunts you down because we don't kill innocents.  On the other hand, if you ascend to become Ra's a freakin' gual - you have to kill a whole city of innocent people because they represent your past. Got it. Sure, makes perfect sense. No problem at all with this dear writers.

This is where I'm confused. Did he really choose Oliver to replace him because he needs a replacement? Or does he want to wipe Starling City out and wanted to make sure Oliver was gone and all of his city saving friends were preoccupied so that Starling was unprotected? 

Also, I wonder if we're supposed to believe that Ra's once had a code (explaining the blood debt), but he's slowly descending into madness and abandoning everything he once held dear. So, yeah, old Ra's assigned a blood debt for doing the same shit he's about to because he's losing it.

• Love 4

This is where I'm confused. Did he really choose Oliver to replace him because he needs a replacement? Or does he want to wipe Starling City out and wanted to make sure Oliver was gone and all of his city saving friends were preoccupied so that Starling was unprotected? 

Also, I wonder if we're supposed to believe that Ra's once had a code (explaining the blood debt), but he's slowly descending into madness and abandoning everything he once held dear. So, yeah, old Ra's assigned a blood debt for doing the same shit he's about to because he's losing it.

Yes but the blood debt was just mentioned at the start of this season.  And he said his predecessor had to eliminate Alexandria in Egypt with cholera and he had to kill his city when he became Ras, etc... And by the way, does that mean he had to kill wife and children he left without saying goodbye to that he talked about last episode?  They represented his past.  Yet, didn't he leave to save them? Wtf?  And Thea, she represents his past - does he have to kill her? 

• Love 3
Thea and Laurel didn't have any scenes, but I think it's because Laurel was trying her best to protect Nyssa. It would've been weird if Laurel left Nyssa's side in this episode.

If they have one in the next two eps..then ok.

Doubt it though. 

This Ra's has to be the stupidest villain ever.  First Nyssa has to die because she calls herself the Heir (which she didn't) and then she has to die because she stole the virus, and then she can't die because it was just a test for Oliver, and now they have to get married so their blood can unite. Oh, and you also have to wipe out your entire city, Oliver, including the people you just traded your life for.

I'm going to be stunned with the stupidity of this all week. Please let this be over soon.

Exactly. Do they even watch their own show?  But if they don't, I can understand why they wouldn't.

• Love 22