Type keyword(s) to search

Sherri Shepherd: "Is the Earth flat?"

springtime
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I think Sherri might have known all season that she was on shaky ground. Didn't it seem like she was pursuing a lot of side ventures, traveling more than ever this year, to get whatever jobs and money she could while she was still on a national TV show and would be able to garner more offers?

Sherri is her own worst enemy and she has no one to blame for her dismissal but herself. She became so freaking full of herself this past year or so, she was just insufferable. Any and all criticism was dismissed as being from jealous "haters". Happy and smug in her own delusional world, she listened only to the  chorus of gushing die-hard fans on Twitter and Instagram who told her how terrific she was with every asinine tweet and dopey selfie she posted. 

Unfortunately for her, Sherri appears to have no one on her management team, or even family and friends, who could have gotten through to her with some constructive criticism. Also, I think TPTB at The View didn't try to rein her in and make her more palatable to the viewers, but decided instead to give her enough rope to hang herself.

Again, she has no one to blame but herself. She should be thankful she had this easy, part-time, high paying gig for as many years as she did, because she certainly didn't deserve it. She put no effort into it, never bothered to improve at all but actually got worse with each passing year, and also seemed to take it for granted.

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 11

This is what's know in the biz as a Friday news dump (hey it's Midnight in the East).

We all knew it was coming after Sherri's constant West Coast references.

Yes I do feel sorry for her given all the crazy stuff going on. But...yes she did bring much of it on herself.

Sherri has some talent but she needs a real manager/advisor. She just got out of control both personally and professionally.

As for The Year of Barbara it was one-big-coverup. The show basically-- due to herself and Geddie-- has been a slowly sinking ship for years. The cast firings (and don't let Babs and ABC tell you any different) prove that out!

• Love 2

I think that she knew things were going downhill in May if not earlier. Her ex Tarpley has a twitter account and now and then he will reference their relationship. In May he wrote, "well, the chickens have come home to roost." That was pretty much when everything was blowing up IIRC.

• Love 2

I think that she knew things were going downhill in May if not earlier. Her ex Tarpley has a twitter account and now and then he will reference their relationship. In May he wrote, "well, the chickens have come home to roost." That was pretty much when everything was blowing up IIRC.

That's interesting, maryis1.

I knew when she listed the house so quickly that she might have lost her job. I even mentioned it just yesterday. It's not like she needed Sal to help pay the mortgage and overhead, so it didn't make sense to me that she'd be listing the house immediately upon the breakup.

The listing info says she listed it for sale on May 29th.

I'm still curious about Sherri's trip out to LA with Sal and her son in March. She was all excited to be going out there for something and then the next thing we know, she came back without him and is getting divorced.

Is the surrogate based in LA? Has that even come up anywhere? Maybe they were going out there in March for something regarding that. Damn, do I feel sorry for that baby being born into this mess.

(edited)

Sherri's had quite a year, but it's Jeffrey that I'm concerned with.  He's certainly going through major upheaval this year:  the divorce, home up for sale, Tarpley's custody fight, his expected surrogate half-brother, mainstreaming at camp, being bullied, and now the changes to Sherri's employment.  This  could be quite a setback for him, and I hope Sherri is prepared to find him professional support to get him through.  Sherri may be too emotionally drained to give him the unbiased level-headed direct help he'll need, but I hope she's smart enough to reach outside for that assistance.  Might as well get some help for herself also, so she doesn't screw up her kid more than she already has.

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 2

Sherri's tweets since the news broke (most recent at the top):

Mr @DonnieWahlberg always takes care of his ladies @jennymccarthy & me! To be continued... ;O) http://instagram.com/p/puwyuFoLv6/ 

Life should be lived. Run towards the things that scare you. Choose joy and trust God - everything else will work out as it should

Incredibly grateful to my second mom @BarbaraJWalters for pushing me beyond my comfort zone - it’s been amazing doing it scared! #joy

The number 7 is God’s number of completion & after 7 seasons my time at The View is now complete!So grateful2 every1 4their love & support.

In that tweet at the top, click on the Instagram link. It's just a pic of Sherri backstage with Jenny and Donnie. It was taken the same day as the pic that Jenny tweeted tonight (the one with Jenny, Sherri, Geddie, and Dusty Cohen).

Babs is her "second mom"? Please, let's not be more phony than BW even is.

• Love 2

There was some speculation among new kids fans that if she tweeted a picture like that and vague a com then that means Donnie has producing ideas involving her and Jenny.

Talk about jumping the gun.

I'm finding myself with unexpected mixed feelings about this.

I will not miss Sherri on the show.  Especially the Sherri of the past few months.

But the mixed feelings come from my sadness for her.  I think she's basically a kind person.  Flawed, of course.  But basically a good-hearted person, unlike Elisabeth, who I thought was a nasty selfish piece of work.  But Sherri's much kinder, and her whole world has fallen apart -- custody fight over her Jeffrey, custody fight over the unborn child, the marriage that she desperately wanted falling apart (and all the bile that comes with a high-profile divorce where money is involved), the home she loved to brag about on the market, and now the job that provided her a good financial cushion being taken away.

It just makes me sad to see it all come crashing down on her all at the same time.  Frankly, I wouldn't have minded seeing it happen to someone loathsome *cough*Elisabeth*cough*.  I won't miss Sherri being silly and ignorant on the show.  But I do feel bad for her.

• Love 11

I feel bad for her too, ChicagoCita! Sure she annoyed me on the show, but like you said she seems like a person with a kind heart and it's sad to see all of this happening to her all at once. I hope she stays strong!

The rumors started in March right?  Like last year when news about Elisabeth being out was first reported in March. So I wonder if Sal decided to cut and run or if this whole divorce thing is some ill-advised scheme for publicity or whatever. 

It's not that I don't feel bad for Sherri I just don't have a lot of sympathy for someone who has the means to land comfortably once all this upheaval is over and done with.  There are women who lose their husbands and jobs at the same time and end up far worse than Sherri will.

I do wonder though if she will still have all the job opportunities when she is no longer a co-host on a network daytime talk show.  The View made her known to a mainstream audience.  Without that does she have the ability to draw an audience?

• Love 3

So The View is moving in a new direction? Does that mean two or more male guests every day? The View is not the show it started out to be.

Sherri will be OK if she goes out for acting parts. She can act. She just can't do talk shows.

Do you think Barbara watching from home had a hand in this? Sherri may have been on the bubble for a while but she's gotten wild and unpredictable in the last month. She needed Barbara to keep her in line.

• Love 1

Sherri will be OK if she goes out for acting parts. She can act. She just can't do talk shows

I have never questioned Sherri's acting skills.  She is a very good actress in the right roles.  It's when she is playing "Sherri Shepherd" I find her annoying and unlikable.   I think Sal convinced her to do more things like endorsements and whatever because it was quick easy money.  And of course there is that reality show Sherri so fervently wants. 

Do you think Barbara watching from home had a hand in this? Sherri may have been on the bubble for a while but she's gotten wild and unpredictable in the last month. She needed Barbara to keep her in line.

I think Sherri's fate was sealed before Barbara left.   

• Love 2

New thought.  Why wouldn't the child protective services and the courts step in and determine that the surrogate's baby would not be in a healthy enviroment with Sal and/or Sherri.  I know it's a private surrogacy contract, however, surely someone around the surrogate or whatever state it is in would bring this issue up. IDK. 

But the mixed feelings come from my sadness for her.  I think she's basically a kind person.  Flawed, of course.  But basically a good-hearted person, unlike Elisabeth, who I thought was a nasty selfish piece of work.  But Sherri's much kinder, and her whole world has fallen apart -- custody fight over her Jeffrey, custody fight over the unborn child, the marriage that she desperately wanted falling apart (and all the bile that comes with a high-profile divorce where money is involved), the home she loved to brag about on the market, and now the job that provided her a good financial cushion being taken away.

I kind of feel for her, but part of me feels she brought a lot of it on herself.  I remember when she started on The View, I think Whoopi tried to talk to her, tried to tell her not to act a fool probably.  But I agree, I never thought Sherri was as mean and nasty as Elisabeth. 

• Love 5

New thought.  Why wouldn't the child protective services and the courts step in and determine that the surrogate's baby would not be in a healthy enviroment with Sal and/or Sherri.  I know it's a private surrogacy contract, however, surely someone around the surrogate or whatever state it is in would bring this issue up. IDK. 

Because they have money.... and as we see often... money trumps anything else in our legal system

• Love 2
Sorry if my quotes aren't showing up correctly from my work PC.

I think it was suggested that Barbara is still there at the show but truly behind the scenes and was running the morning meetings. 

For all intents and purposes, I do feel bad that she essentially lost her job in the midst of what's happening in her personal life.  But at the same time, there is nothing wrong with being humbled either.  If she actually read the feedback said about her behaviour and how it comes off, I think she could have adjusted it to stay on.

• Love 1

I'll never accept that Bitsy landed on her feet. 

I hope Sherri does much better than "Lizzie". I'm  sure Sherri knew she would be leaving and probably another reason to sell the house. Need to check if it is still for sale.

• Love 3
(edited)

Is the surrogate based in LA? Has that even come up anywhere? Maybe they were going out there in March for something regarding that. Damn, do I feel sorry for that baby being born into this mess.

At the end of October, Sal was tweeting about something big (excited but scared/ can't say anything)

He and Sherri's tweets had them in another area of NJ for the day and then Sherri wasn't feeling well (but able to go to eat at Olive Garden)

At the time I thought it was weight loss procedures... Seems like the timing might fit

Edited by springtime
  • Love 2

For all intents and purposes, I do feel bad that she essentially lost her job in the midst of what's happening in her personal life.  But at the same time, there is nothing wrong with being humbled either.  If she actually read the feedback said about her behaviour and how it comes off, I think she could have adjusted it to stay on.

I have to disagree with you.  I think people (Whoopi probably being one) probably told Sherri to rein it in and she ignored them.  From what I've observed of Sherri after so many years of watching her on the View is when she thinks something you can't change her mind.  Maybe she will take this as a learning experience and not act so obnoxious.  After she married and lost weight she took on a very superior entitled attitude, like she was all that because she had a husband (for the time being) a skinnier (for the time being) body and a healthy bank account.  Well she no longer has the husband.  The body, well we will see. And the bank account, all I can say is I hope she invested well.  I don't know what she made from the View but to lose that income has to hurt.

It does seem like a lot of shit is happening to Sherri at one time.  I would say it's Karma but after seeing Elisabeth always do well with no Karmic blowback I have to wonder if Karma exists for the View co-hosts.

• Love 5
(edited)

Any new tweets from Sal yet?

Maybe something in the vein of..."oops, nevermind"

I can't see him wanting full custody of this new baby now that suckin off of Sherri s tit isn't going to pay off like he thought.

He might have to (GASP) get a job!

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 1

I can't see him wanting full custody of this new baby now that suckin off of Sherri s tit isn't going to pay off like he thought.

That's quite a tit to suck, @Brooklynista, but you're right.  Lamar Jr. may not end up being the payday Sal was expecting for the next 18 years.  Once Sal puts pencil to paper and figures out the expense of a child vs. Sherri's financial contribution, the custody idea may lose much of its glimmer.  That poor child:  behind the 8-ball before he's even born.

WOW, You made my day if this is true

What has always bothered me about both EH & Sherri was the total lack of any kind of aptitude / talent / professionalism that they both exhibited. I honestly hate to see anyone get fired but if you can't do the job, bye bye & Sherri has never been anything but a buffoon, not a talk show host.........

In both cases this was also compounded by an ever growing sense of entitlement and arrogance that everything they had in life i.e. their position on the show came from skill and honed talent.  That they deserved the spot and once attained never felt the need to push for improvement on the skills they arrogantly presumed to have.

• Love 5
That's quite a tit to suck, Brooklynista, but you're right.

Tunia...it IS possible to wince while Snapple is shooting out my nose!

There was some speculation among new kids fans that if she tweeted a picture like that and vague a com then that means Donnie has producing ideas involving her and Jenny.

Maybe they can have a fabulous new TV series...like that of Jenny Garth and Tori Spelling--a sure award-winner if I ever saw one.

• Love 5

Apparently the stripper was "too skinny", according to Sherri. Whatever.

I really hope Donnie and Jenny don't take on too much of Sherri. She would latch on in a heart beat.

• Love 1
IIRC Sherri practically demanded there be a "chocolate brother" stripper at her bachelorette party and was not surprised? Have I mis-remembered?

That's our Sherri, Maggiemae...she thinks her audience's IQ is lower than hers.  Today she says she's not into male strippers, yet we had to hear her whining and begging for that chocolate stripper too many times!

• Love 2

Thanks Former Nun - that always drives me nuts about Sherri....bad enough to have senior moments but when forced on me by SS it is so irritating.....can never believe a thing she says.

• Love 2
Former Nun, maybe they can get SAL to write it... oops, maybe not.

Given Sal's work history, track record, all-around ethics, and hilarious comments he makes on Twitter, I think Pachebo has a fabulous idea!

LuckyBitch said she was curious about the March trip to LA that Sherrie,Sal and Jeffery took. I think that was the critical point. Something happened during that trip that "broke the camels back".

Even though Sal wasn't contributing much at all financially to the marriage ( or even emotionally!) Sherrie seems like the type that would have wanted to work on salvaging things and working on the relationship. Even if she was unhappy that he wasn't able to ever land any writing jobs that provided some decent income (which I think he thought he would given the connections and contacts he would make through Sherrie...imagine his surprise when people were polite to him, but recognized his limited talent and weren't interested in hiring or working with him!) she could have him work on her Facebook, social media stuff, her bookings, etc. if he really tried to do that well (and consistently which he didn't....the stale information on her webpage shows that!) at least he'd be contributing to the family. I don't think he did that regularly and didn't get the sense that he was consistently that helpful when it came to Jeffrie's needs.

The tweets from both of them prior to the trip were hopeful and alluded to some joint work projects they were seeking. Also about wanting to move back to california like they knew her contract wouldn't be renewed. She also tweeted a pic from the Game Show network offices during that trip which could have been where they were proposing a joint project ...and the network didn't bite. Who knows, but they were definitely heading out there to pursue a project they were both going to work on.

Something happened during that LA trip. I wonder of Sal was supposed to go along with sherri for the side trip from LA for Kandi Burrisss' wedding? I'd bet he was but after things came to light, he bailed on it and Sherrie had a male friend be her plus one. Maybe evidence surfaced for sherri that Sal was clearly cheating on her and his earlier solo trips to the west coast in the past year for work were actually more to play behind her back. When this came to light either Sal or sherri made the decision that their relationship was irreparable. Sal knew the July baby was going to be his meal ticket (and may have been planning to divorce at some point anyway) and decided to file for separation. Sherri, hopefully, spent some time getting excellent legal advice and forming a long term strategy with her legal team. For her sake and Jeffries sake I hope she comes out of this OK. The impact this crap is having on her son is very sad.

Wonder if her ex was planning to seek full custody of Jeffrey for a while or if it's something he cooked up along with Sal or just on his own when he saw what was happening and thought it would be a good time to try and hit sherrie when she was down and maybe increase the amount of money he receives from her.

The whole thing is soap opera worthy and sad. I've spent way too much time speculating on how bizarre Sherri's life has been the past few months!

• Love 2
(edited)

IIRC Sherri practically demanded there be a "chocolate brother" stripper at her bachelorette party and was not surprised? Have I mis-remembered?

Worse- she wanted one for her shower:

she had a special request for the bridal shower View cohost Barbara Walters, 81, is planning.

"I asked her if we could slip in a stripper and she gave me a look, so I'm not quite sure," she said. "I told her, 'Get somebody named Chocolate Thunder at the bridal shower!"

and she sure had fun spending time with the Naughty Santa while at Hard Rock Resort with Sal last December.

Edited by springtime
  • Love 2

Yeah -  Sherri LOVE male strippers, then says they don't do anything for her. 

Just like she talks about taking "naughty selfies"  then seems confused as to why ANYONE would do such a thing.

And one minute being on a diabetes diet, the next minute being a glutton.  

Having abortions, yet believing others should not have that choice. 

Saying she has gay friends, but being terrified of her son even knowing what gay means.

She's full of contradictions, because she doesn't know how to be genuine.  On other shows, it is obvious that Sherri is a decent character actress.  But on The View, she ends up playing different roles, which are different versions of herself, and doesn't realize that to be likable, there has to be some consistency. 

• Love 7
They never are FIRED, are they?

Well, I think Bitsy was actually fired, heh.  .  But technically Sherri would have absolutely aware of this possibility since her contract expired this year.

LuckyBitch said she was curious about the March trip to LA that Sherrie,Sal and Jeffery took. I think that was the critical point. Something happened during that trip that "broke the camels back".

Around the time they got married, I thought I read Sherri fired her manager and replaced him with Sal.  I wonder if that factored into anything? 

Yeah, I about fell out, too, when Sherri went all anti-stripper.  She's crazy if she thinks that anybody who watched during her wedding plans doesn't remember how gaga over the Chocolate Thunder idea she was.

• Love 2

She's full of contradictions, because she doesn't know how to be genuine.  On other shows, it is obvious that Sherri is a decent character actress.  But on The View, she ends up playing different roles, which are different versions of herself, and doesn't realize that to be likable, there has to be some consistency.

You are exactly right Backformore.  Sherri plays whatever role is required of her. Much the same way Elisabeth played the role of the good little GOP Barbie doll.  Have we ever seen the "real" Sherri Shepherd?  Maybe in the beginning.   The Sherri who said she didn't know if the world is flat I think was the real her.  She was a dim bulb to be sure but I think she knew that.  It was after marrying Sal that she took on the persona she mostly inhabits now.  I think he had a very negative influence on her.  Yes she has had a lot more career opportunities since him but at what cost?  She does very little acting now.  I think Sal pushed her to take gigs that were short and were a quick payday.  It's the age old question of quantity versus quality.  Yes Sherri made a lot of money the past few years with endorsements and her wig line and whatever but has she gained any respect in the industry? No.  And now with her View gig a thing of the past she won't have a national platform to sell whatever she selling.  I'm curious what comes next for her.  There was some value in her being a co-host of daytime talk show.  Without that IMO she is just another mediocre comedienne.

• Love 6

I feel bad for her too, ChicagoCita! Sure she annoyed me on the show, but like you said she seems like a person with a kind heart and it's sad to see all of this happening to her all at once. I hope she stays strong!

If Sherri saved and invested much of her View salary, she would be mostly set for life IMHO.

• Love 3

I have to wonder what salary Sherri was asking, if indeed she's leaving because of a failed negotiation. I wonder what the difference in money actually came down to. Just the other day Sherri and Jenny agreed with each other that they would play roles they weren't proud of (or something like that) to feed their babies.

If Sherri saved and invested much of her View salary, she would be mostly set for life IMHO.

I wonder if she can see it that way, DangerousMinds.  Speaking of minds, Sherri does seem to have the mindset that once a person makes a good living on television, that's where she deserves to be...and there better be a place for her (a la Kate Gosselin).  Please, please, please tell me that Donnie Wahlberg isn't planning a Sherri-Jenny spinoff of "Wahlburgers."

• Love 2

What is so ridiculous about remarks like that from SS and JM is that SS is worth around $10M and JM $14M.

I guess we'll see if Sal gets more than $60,000 from the prenup.

They simply do not understand how many women work long hours for little money without the comfort and security they have, let alone the luxuries and opportunities.

I'd venture to say Sherri and the brazilian wax, swimsuit diet, gluttony, lustfulness have not enhanced her career/s.

I've always loved when guests have come on (yeah....that are mothers) they are asked by Dumb and Dumber - how do you do it!? And the guest says basically it takes a village and they are so fortunate to have the means to have one.

IOW - just like these two ingrates.

• Love 6

Not sure where I read it, but supposedly this was Sherri and Jenny's last day on the show? Next week is a "hiatus" and then after that??? Whoopi will finally have the stage to herself! 

From Gawker Media: http://defamer.gawker.com/whoopi-goldberg-is-the-only-person-left-at-the-view-1596946455/all

I actually think Whoopi wouldn't want to work that hard; she probably would appreciate having co-hosts as long as they have IQs in the triple digits. 

I've read that SS and JM will return 7/8 for a month until hiatus about 8/8....the show will resume without them about 9/15.

But the rumors are rampant so who knows....I think it is probably true because there is no point not fulfilling contracts and burning bridges. May have worked for Rosie, but Rosie has clout. Especially since some rumors say she is a possibility to sit in a chair next season.

Here's Bitsy's b.s. response to the news:

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/elisabeth-hasselbeck-shocked-by-sherri-shepherd-leaving-the-view-2014276

She's as word-salady as ever:

"I was shocked, in some ways," Hasselbeck, who left the morning show in 2013, said on air. Then, in response to a question from her co-host Steve Doocy about whether Shepherd herself was shocked, she added, "I'm sure. Even if you think that might happen one day, I'm sure it would come across to be a shock."

"in some ways." Really? in some ways, you weren't? You're either shocked or you're not. She just talks to fill the silence.

Also from the article:

Hasselbeck, 37, has stayed friendly with Shepherd, 47, since she departed The View last July. Shepherd even made a guest appearance on her pal's debut episode of Fox & Friends in September, presenting the mom-of-three with various congratulatory gifts, including a collage of photos documenting their friendship.

"We're, like, attached at the hip," Shepherd gushed at the time, noting that Hasselbeck was in her wedding party. "We're like the chocolate and vanilla...Oh, I'm gonna be here all the time."

Yeah, that really turned out to be the case. 

• Love 1

Please, please, please tell me that Donnie Wahlberg isn't planning a Sherri-Jenny spinoff of "Wahlburgers."

Sherri tweeted this:

Sherri Shepherd ‏@SherriEShepherd  · 24h 

Mr @DonnieWahlberg always takes care of his ladies @jennymccarthy & me! To be continued... ;O) http://instagram.com/p/puwyuFoLv6/

I really hope they don't team up because I actually don't think Sherri deserves to be carried. That's what I think it would end up being. If she didn't think ABC was paying her enough on The View , what on earth would she expect if she had to work longer days?

• Love 3

Neither one of them are really that funny..... they both play the stereotypical roll designed for each of them.... honestly, Sherri has more talent acting.... but not by a lot... If Jenny wouldnt have gotten naked no one would know who she is.

• Love 3

I have to wonder what salary Sherri was asking, if indeed she's leaving because of a failed negotiation. I wonder what the difference in money actually came down to.

Of course, the possibility exists that Sherri may not have been asking for additional money, just trying to stay at her present level, with ABC trying to cut the $$$ downward.  I could see a situation where TPTB smelled her desperation, considering her present personal life, and tried to profit from it themselves.  Stranger things have happened.  And all ABC would have to do is pull out her Q ratings in justification.  What argument(s) could Sherri use to bolster her stand?  Not much there.

• Love 7

I do not feel the least bit sorry for Sherri. In fact, I'm so thrilled that she's leaving, I just might start watching again in the fall now that my ears have finally healed from all pain & bleeding she caused. Buh-bye Motormouth. Don't let the door hit you in your fat ass. And in the words of Melissa Gorga "thank you baby Jesus".

• Love 5