Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E18: Heart Of Gold

• Start Topic

The truth leaves Emma reeling; Gold blackmails Regina as his quest for a happy ending becomes more urgent; in a flashback, Robin Hood heads to Oz to steal a magic elixir after making a deal with Rumpelstiltskin. 

I think I said it in Spoilers, but I knew there was something wrong about Marian staying knocked out so long in the S3 finale. That is when Zelena took over!

And I knew that Will lifted that potion when he hugged Robin. Ha! ETA: Wrong interpretation on the potion!

Edited by OnceUponAJen
  • Love 2

Still hating this Author plot.  (And, speaking of Author’s--not any more impressed with Nimerfro’s work.)

Okay, show, what’s romantic about a man waiting until his wife can’t see, then passionately kissing another woman, and then walking off with his arm around his wife?  How is that romantic and not “ucky?”

Robin’s a barkeep, and Marian’s a barmaid?  Huh.  Not what I expected.  (Marian is still way, way too good for him.)    And does this mean that when Regina didn’t go into that tavern, Robin was already married to Marian, or not?

What’s a former thief doing in Oz?  What’s Will doing in Oz?  If he can realm hop to Oz, why did he need to steal something to get to Wonderland?  Speaking of Will, what’s Will doing in Storybrooke?  And, where’s your wife, Will?

Why would Zelena have sent this broken heart potion with Walsh?  How does that make any sense?   Potions to make her fall in love, or confuse her, or numb her, or make himself powerful . . . but mend a broken heart potion?  Huh?  Is there something I missed, or misunderstood?

If Robin knew Zelena, why didn’t he tell people who she was during the whole “Evil vs Wicked” debacle? 

Do you suppose Robin will get to react to Zelena killing Marian?  After all, he never got to react to Regina doing it?  Marian deserves some reaction from someone, doesn’t he?

And I’d just like to point out that for “The Land without Magic,” there’s a whole lot of magic?  Maybe it needs a new name--the “Land with Plot Contrivance Magic” or “Land with Magic Some Days But Not Others.”

One more question--Robin knows what the charm necklace is, but he’s not questioning Marian wearing it?  Constantly?

Edited by Mari
  • Love 20

Random Thoughts during the episode:

Good for Emma for speaking up to her parents.

Loved it when the Author called Rumple the biggest pain in the ass he ever had to write.

I enjoyed Robin’s galloping chase scene through the NYC streets. 

Maid Marian was working as a barmaid in their family bar business?  She either really loved Robin or really hated Nottingham.

Nottingham looked different to me from the last time we saw him.  Is it a different actor? Or maybe it’s just that he wasn’t drunk and still had his tongue.

I don’t think dietary advice is sufficient to treat an MI.  What about a cardiac cath with a stent, or bypass surgery?  I would have loved to see the scene of the hospital doctor offering an invasive procedure and Rumple vociferously objecting, then signing out AMA.  Ancillary thought: Rumple and Robin could make a lot of money selling the Elixir of the Wounded Heart to a pharmaceutical company. 

So, Zelena killed and impersonated Marian.  I guess that clears the way for Robin and Regina now.  But I do feel sorry for Roland, he’s really going to be very confused and hurt.  Will Robin mourn her loss again, or just be relieved the path to Regina is clear?

Why wasn’t Rumple monitored more closely, and why did the nurses allow Zelena to play with his ET tube?  Does no one in that hospital monitor the patients?  Our Lady of Providence – more like Our Lady of Carelessness. 

Ah ha!  Robin can make himself look different.  Certainly explains the change of actors in the show.

I can’t agree that stealing for someone else makes you a hero, it just makes you a thief.

“Is that your final answer?”  Sounds like Regina needs a lifeline…

Edited by Worsel
  • Love 6

Zelena, your Captain Swan shipping is showing.

One thing this episode did was make me realize that they wasted Christie Laing's talents. I felt awful for Marian even knowing that she was likely not Marian. Imagine if that wasn't Zelena saying those things to Robin about feeling bad about Robin not being with Regina (Ugh) or the part where Marlena sees Regina's number.

• Love 4

This episode felt like the Nikki/Paulo one from Lost. All crazy plot exposition about non-main characters. I did actually enjoy it (don't shoot me please!).

Pros:
* I thought they actually succeeded in making me like Robin a little better. I found him less annoying in this one than usual.

* We went back to Oz for all of five minutes.

* Emma/Snowing payoff scene!! I'm shocked they actually showed Emma's reaction in a real confrontation scene.

* Zelena is delightfully creepy. I found her scenery chewing entertaining... take from that what you will.

* We finally got some follow-up on Rumple's murdering of Zelena. 

* "If this is New York, I'd hate to see what the old one is like."

Cons:
* Contrivances. Contrivances everywhere. This was the Alien Vampire Bunny centric.

* Will Scarlet... still meh on that one. He's just so useless.

* Marian is dead! She was awesome and they killed her! What else is new?

* Not happy about the Adultery Queen whitewashing. Now we're supposed to blame Robin's inability to stick with his wife on Zarian acting out of character? Just no.

I think the Continuity thread is going to have a very busy week hammering out the millions of plot holes this development created. I did enjoy this episode because it was zany, crazy and fun. If you can look past what makes no sense, that is.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 8

I haven't really figured out how what I think of this episode. It all feels so weird. No Storybrooke. Weird time jumping in the episode between Sherwood Forest and New York. I think they were using film instead of video at one point. It was just odd. I may have to watch it again to figure out what the hell happened because I was lost half the time.

And what the hell was that six leaf clover thing about? Is that "Robin" looked like a different actor before? And how did Zelena get it?

I'm just not interested in this episode at all, which sucks because it's nice to see Robin back. And while I'm excited to see where they're going to take Zelena's return, I'm also not that excited about it right at this moment. This episode seemed like it's such a mess.

• Love 6

Wow. I should have stopped watching back when Rumple sacrificed himself and Pan.

I was about to stop watching out boredom tonight with the Robin & Marian Show when Rumple showed up (yay) but it was all downhill straight into ret-con crazy town.

• Love 8

Oh my head...Can I just say that as a general Once addict this little mini hiatus was not fun.  But a whole episode with not one line from Hook?! Now I'm at Grumpy def-con 4 levels of surly due to said withdrawals.  *glares at A&E*

I had plenty of rum laced coffee tonight, but thank God I wasn't actually doing some kind of drinking game, because I'd have been wasted after about the 5th reference to "a code" and "honor" w/n the first 10 minutes of this thing.  I love how each season and episode has to have these buzzwords.  Is there some kind of rule that they have to be mentioned in every other sentence? *headdesk*

At the moment I'm still sorting through all the retconning and insanity that happened in the episode, so I don't have much to add other than poor Marian.  Girl deserved better all around.  So, Zelena's back.  At least she's one baddie that's freaking insane and owns it.  It's rather refreshing to have a villain that's hella crazy, and does her damnedest to wreak havoc everywhere.  A+ verbal abuse of Rumps. Rather enjoyed all that.

Oh.  OOOHHHHHH.  And lest I forget this gem: "When you steal for yourself, you're a thief.  But when you steal for someone else, you're a hero."  I can't even.  My mind just cannot. even.  What the heck kind of code is that?!

Edited by Lieutenant
  • Love 7

You've got to be kidding me.  I don't believe for a second that they planned for Marian to be Zelena last season or even in 4a.  I feel like this is an episode that should've happened in 3b.  There's no way the Rumple we saw in 3b would now team up with Zelena in 4b.

Sean was the best part of this episode.  I tend to think he overacts, but he did a nice job.

As for Robin now choosing Marian because she's the one that's there with him now.  Give me a break.  What are we supposed to believe at this point?  In 3a we see Marian tell Regina it's ok that Robin chooses her.  We see Robin choose Regina.  That's why "Marian" has to leave Storybrooke.  Now suddenly "Marian" is upset that Regina is a phone contact?  She knew that Robin chose Regina and he's only there out of obligation!  This is so ridiculous.  We're supposed to believe that Regina's "Happy Ending" with Robin will only last if she's right in front of him?

I just think it's pointless to bring Zelena back.  We really needed a fourth Queen of Darkness added to the mix?

The backstory on Robin was fine and there was finally a little for Will to do.  I'll never understand how Will is a "regular" but Robin is only a guest star.

• Love 6

Because it needs to be said every time he pops up: Roland is the cutest little child on television right now.

Y'know, I didn't hate the Zelena/Marian twist. I feel bad for poor Marian (because what is it with the Mills women and killing poor Marian?!), of course, but I do like that the switch happened after Emma rescued her. So Regina still imprisoned and was set to execute the real Marian. I'm impressed. I thought for sure if they were going to do this thing, they would have had Zelena somehow get to the past earlier in the timeline and make it so that Zelena was Marian from the jump, thereby removing all of Regina's culpability. (Not that her culpability has ever been addressed to begin with, really, but still!)

Also, Zelena can totally stay. Rebecca Mader always looks like she's having so much fun that I end up grinning like an idiot. Just keep her away from Hook and Emma (though she can continue to let her Captain Swan shipper flag fly ... hee!).

And because it needs to be said: way to go, Emma. That scene was like five seconds long but I loved seeing her actually speak her mind instead of burying it. Yay character growth. :)

• Love 12

While I wasn't looking forward to this episode, I think I needed a break from Storybrooke's stupid nonsense.  I thought it was ok.

I was "meh" on Zelena, so I don't know if I care for our directionality.  I very much enjoyed her scene taking Rumple down a peg, mostly b/c he needed it.

Also, enjoyed seeing Robin and Will spend more time together.  I really, really like Will and have been disappointed with his lack of work and these two couple  of episodes have made that a bit better (maybe the only thing better). 

• Love 1

As I was spoiled for the Marian is Zelena thing (also, retrograde circa 3B finale would just like to say: TOLD YOU SO *ahem*) this whole episode was mostly filler to me. That said, for an episode almost entirely centered around Robin Hood, I was surprised how much I didn't hate it. 

Good

• At least they didn’t try to claim Zelena was Marian even back in the EF and that this was her plan all along. A last-minute switch is more plausible.
  • I know others don’t, but I enjoy Zelena’s hamfisted-ness (in small doses, anyway). She’s a fairytale villain, after all, and I enjoy some unashamed mustache twirling.
  • I also enjoyed her impression of Rumple.
  • Glad Will had something to do, kinda. This is probably the most he’s done all 4B.
  • I enjoy the Sheriff of Nottingham. Really, I was cheering for him against Robin.
  • Minimal author BS this episode (although that’s really just delaying the inevitable).

Bad

• Robin continues to be a total schmuck.
  • Almost zero Emma.
  • I usually love this show’s crappy CGI, but the single spot on the yellow brick road that Robin and Will stood on was lazier than usual.
  • Neal’s NYC apartment is just sitting there unused? Who is paying for it? And how and why did Regina have the keys?
  • Throwing gold coins at peasants is a pretty shitty way to distribute money.
  • What even was that six-leafed clover thing all about?
  • Love 8

This episode was pleasantly surprising. I fully expected a trainwreck with the three time settings (flashbacks, Storybrooke and The Six Weeks flashbacks) and then having Robin in the center, but it exceeded my low expectations. The Zelena = Marian twist was handled better than speculated, even though it's still pretty unbelievable. I'm excited about Zelena's return since she seems to have more of a brain now.

I could not get over her getting revenge on Rumple by threatening him on his deathbed. Rebecca Mader did amazing.

As I was spoiled for the Marian is Zelena thing (also, retrograde circa 3B finale would just like to say: TOLD YOU SO *ahem*)

I'm right with you! *fist bump*

Neal’s NYC apartment is just sitting there unused?

When the Hoods heard the door knock, I thought it was the landlord with an eviction notice!

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3

Interesting that the child - Roland knows that is not his mother.  When they are kissing he is looking in the mirror and seeing somebody else.  Although is that because they are in the land of no magic because he thought she was his mother in Storybrooke.

• Love 2

I did like this episode. I don't think this absolves Robin in any way for his behavior since everyone thought Marian was Marian at the time. I really do like the dynamic between Regina and Zelena ever since they had that witch fight in the town square and Regina slapped her. I don't mind that she's back, and I wonder if they hadn't planned this for 4A until they got the go ahead on Frozen.

Edited by OnceUponAJen
  • Love 1

* Not happy about the Adultery Queen whitewashing. Now we're supposed to blame Robin's inability to stick with his wife on Zarian acting out of character? Just no.

Since Marian/Zelena was awake for all of, what?  12 hours?  before Ingrid iced her, I don't see how that could count.  Robin's still a giant sleazoid.

Oh.  OOOHHHHHH.  And lest I forget this gem: "When you steal for yourself, you're a thief.  But when you steal for someone else, you're a hero."  I can't even.  My mind just cannot. even.  What the heck kind of code is that?!

Yeah.  They're wrong.  But, considering Robin's code also allows him to cheat on his wife and not care that his new girlfriend killed her?  (Or, at least, sort of killed her?)  I'm guessing that "code" actually means "guidelines I think of as general suggestions and mostly ignore."  Yay, honor!

So Regina still imprisoned and was set to execute the real Marian. I'm impressed. I thought for sure if they were going to do this thing, they would have had Zelena somehow get to the past earlier in the timeline and make it so that Zelena was Marian from the jump, thereby removing all of Regina's culpability. (Not that her culpability has ever been addressed to begin with, really, but still!)

It wouldn't surprise me if they think it did.  They don't have what I'd consider reasonable responses on so very many things, that it might not occur to them that this absolves Regina of none of the murderous behavior, and absolves Robin of none of his creepy cryptsex.

Interesting that the child - Roland knows that is not his mother.  

I wasn't sure if Roland could tell, or if the mirror thing was just because the writers think the audience is just that stupid.

• Love 12

Interesting that the child - Roland knows that is not his mother.  When they are kissing he is looking in the mirror and seeing somebody else.  Although is that because they are in the land of no magic because he thought she was his mother in Storybrooke.

I wonder if that was just for our benefit and Roland was seeing what he thought was Marion.  

I enjoyed the episode.  I really wasn't surprised by the Zelena twist (once I saw Marion in the hospital room, I knew immediately it was Zelena).  The only thing that surprised me was that when they showed Zelena talking to Regina on the phone (especially when they specified 9 weeks later), there was no baby bump of sort.  The soap opera watcher in me expected her to be pregnant with Robin's baby just to provide more angst.

• Love 3

Gonna drop this here, an interview before Season 4 aired:

https://d23.com/once-upon-a-time-frozen-elsa-abc/

Proof that Zelena returning was always a thing Adam and Eddy had in mind ("death is a relative term"), BUT also proof that this was NOT the way it was originally supposed to happen ("That wasn't Zelena in smoke form"......until now, where it turns out that it was!)

It's obvious that it was done this way as damage control for the "Adultery Queen" scandal. Pitiful, A&E, just pitiful.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 11

It's obvious that it was done this way as damage control for the "Adultery Queen" scandal. Pitiful, A&E, just pitiful.

Another really pitiful thing, is that it just doesn't.  Robin didn't have a clue Marian wasn't his wife--he still doesn't.   The things that were wrong are still wrong;  Robin had sex with Regina in the crypt where as far as he knew his wife's heart was, after he told the woman he thought was his wife that he was staying with her.

If you had a problem with the relationship on moral grounds, this didn't improve it at all, really.  (And considering the "Will you choose Emma?" that seemed like Swan Queen bait at the end, it was like they were trying to make sure that didn't go away.)

Can A&E really be this bad at seeing the implications of what they're putting out?

• Love 7

Apparently the 5 minutes I didn't see were the only 5 minutes on the show with Emma in them. Can someone please tell me what happened? If not maybe I'll watch it on Hulu later.

As for the person who guessed the whole Zelena twist back at the end of 3b, you deserve a fist bump.

Gonna drop this here, an interview before Season 4 aired:

https://d23.com/once-upon-a-time-frozen-elsa-abc/

Proof that Zelena returning was always a thing Adam and Eddy had in mind ("death is a relative term"), BUT also proof that this was NOT the way it was originally supposed to happen ("That wasn't Zelena in smoke form"......until now, where it turns out that it was!)

Exactly, damage control.  The thing is...how will they now retcon Robin choosing Marian because she's the one that's there once he's inevitably reunited with Regina?  I can only surmise Zelena will now be pregnant with Robin's baby.  The ultimate betrayal for Regina.

Apparently the 5 minutes I didn't see were the only 5 minutes on the show with Emma in them. Can someone please tell me what happened? If not maybe I'll watch it on Hulu later.

As for the person who guessed the whole Zelena twist back at the end of 3b, you deserve a fist bump.

It was just Emma, Snow and Charms looking for the author.  Snow tells her they know the author.  Emma tells them that stealing someone's baby to ensure there's isn't evil isn't and never will be ok.  Snow and Charms say they really regret it and were acting out of fear.  Then Hook and Henry join the party to continue the search but Rumple offers the author a magical quill and whisks him away before the search party find him.  Typical

• Love 2

I didn't care for this episode, but I wasn't expecting to, so at least I'm not bummed out about it.

The Zelena/Marian twist probably would have been slightly shocking if I hadn't been spoiled (totally my fault there).

I didn't pay much attention to the first half of the show. I did sit up and watch when Zelena started gnashing the scenery apart. I loved her Captain Swan comment "Emma and her one-handed lover" and the flashbacks to the 3b finale. I was actually afraid for Rumple's safety for a bit because Zelena is very sexual around him and doesn't know about personal space boundaries.

It sucks that Marian is really and truly dead and that, once again, Robin is (most likely) sleeping with her murderer. The dude just can't catch a break.

Roland was cute and it was nice to see more of Will. I don't always know what he's saying, but I could listen to him talk all day.

• Love 4

If you mean me, I actually kind of backed into that theory once I leaned the spoilers about Marian. However, I always did find it weird that Marian stayed knocked out so long in S3 finale and noone seemed worried about it :) Edited by OnceUponAJen
  • Love 2

So four things.  Interesting CS flashbacks they've chosen for this episode.

Second thing, the Storybrooke has moved 3 more weeks since the show returned for 4B.  We are now 3 months after Rumple was banished from SB by Belle.

Third thing.  While this episode was meh, I'm glad I got to see Sean Maguire do something else than that face he does at Regina.

Fourth thing.  Anyone who makes Rumple their bitch is good in my book, so go, Zelena, even though everything is contrived as hell.  Did she steal the 6 leaf clover back from Robin or something?  

Good to know there's a portal between the EF and Oz.  This show makes me roll my eyes HARD!

• Love 7

Rumple wasn't rumple this episode. What happened to his voice and inflection? It's as if Robert Carlyle forgot how to play him...

I assume you mean Dark One Rumple and not Mr. Gold, who I haven't noticed any significant change in. Yeah, Rumple's vocal pitch has been all wrong from 3B onward (it used to be higher), but I too noticed his inflections were bizarre this time around.

• Love 4

Since Marian/Zelena was awake for all of, what?  12 hours?  before Ingrid iced her, I don't see how that could count.  Robin's still a giant sleazoid.

It most definitely didn't actually whitewash it, but it was an attempt to. Like some others have said, it was damage control. It was like the writers had it in their cards in case they needed it, but didn't use it until now.

(though she can continue to let her Captain Swan shipper flag fly ... hee!)

That's just too awesome. Bonus points for attempting to break up Outlaw Queen.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 4

It sucks that Marian is really and truly dead and that, once again, Robin is (most likely) sleeping with her murderer. The dude just can't catch a break.

I have no idea what this is striking me as hilarious, but I can't stop laughing over this.  Probably because it's just that ridiculous.  I don't think I'd ever anticipated Once taking the character of Robin Hood and firstly: making him magical true love with the Evil Queen over his canon TL Marian, but secondly: having him sleep with said murder (or at the least imprisonment w/intent to murder) AND likely her sister who (also?) actually axed Marian.  What a paragon of honor and virtue!  I'm gonna borrow a Zelena line: "Oops!"  I think my eyes just rolled right out of my head.

Edited by Lieutenant
  • Love 8

Second thing, the Storybrooke has moved 3 more weeks since the show returned for 4B.  We are now 3 months after Rumple was banished from SB by Belle.

So, I was a little confused too initially. But I think it was six weeks when Rumple went to find Ursula at the end of 4A. It was 9 weeks by the time Rumple got back to Storybrooke with the QoD. It's only been like a few days after the QoD entered Storybrooke, I imagine.

This episode was sooo boring. No way in hell the Marian/Zelena switch wasn't a last-minute retcon. Best parts of the episode were poor Emma confronting her parents and the flashback of the CS dance.

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 9
Best parts of the episode were poor Emma confronting her parents

And for me, there wasn't enough of that.  I really hate how this show is structured.  What happened with Emma and her parents is huge.  Instead, I have to find out about elixirs and bullshit like that.  The elixir was as useless as that stupid gauntlet from 411.  A ridiculous plot point.  

I like how all these places ie Neal's apartment and Walsh's store have their rent paid months or a whole year in advance that no one comes to check what's going on. Ridiculous!

• Love 7

I assume you mean Dark One Rumple and not Mr. Gold, who I haven't noticed any significant change in. Yeah, Rumple's vocal pitch has been all wrong from 3B onward (it used to be higher), but I too noticed his inflections were bizarre this time around.

It was like the Dark One suddenly had a thick English/with a bit of Scottish accent thrown in.  It was completely off from how he's usually played.

• Love 6

The ending was... meh. Do we really care if Regina votes Emma or Robin? I'm not agonizing in suspense, trust me. Next week we'll have some interruption or other contrivance to keep her from picking. Would she even believe them if they told her they weren't going to kill Robin, anyway?

• Love 5

Do we really care if Regina votes Emma or Robin? I'm not agonizing in suspense, trust me.

Well, I don't.  But based on the discussions we've had in the Fandom thread and the Writer's thread, Nimerfro seems to be pretty enthusiastic about Swan Queen.  That scene will likely show up in at least a few tumblr posts over the next 24 hours.  It might not have been included for the suspense, but as fanservice.

• Love 2

IT's the code of Western imperialism. Marauding armies have had it as their code for millennia. Genghis Khan had that code too.

• Love 3

Well, it was mostly much more entertaining that I thought it'd be (I did love the fairytale character in modern world aspect and to see a bit more of Oz, Will an the EF) and it did made me like Robin a tiny bit better. Although I kept laughing at the mention of his "code" that allows adultery and also states stealing for others = heroism. I also laughed at Snowing being the parents Emma deserves since the egg incident. Yeah, right.

What bothers me about this whole show's morality is scenes like the one in the hospital with Rumpel and Zelena. I'm sure we were supposed to be so mad at evil Zelena for treating Rumpel the way he has treated countless other people. When Rumpel "killed" Zelena I think we were supposed to cheer at that but if it's the other way around, it's bad. They're both villains so I don't get why we're supposed to root for only some of them and not none or all.

I can't imagine Zelena being content with being at that apartment all day taking care of Roland and cooking for Robin. She can't hate Regina THAT much to spend the rest of her life like that.

Edited by MaiLuna
  • Love 10