Type keyword(s) to search

The DC Extended Universe: To Thanagar and Beyond!

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Tragically,  at this point DC fandom has become this awful War of Johns and Snyder, where if you like MoS and BvS you aren't "allowed" to like Aquaman or Shazam,  and vice-versa. Personally, I've enjoyed all of them. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

An exhibit titled "The Dreamscapes of Zack Snyder's Justice League" at the AT&T DIscovery District in Dallas included the storyboards and full pitch for the Justice League Part 2 that was originally scheduled to come out in 2019, and said there was enough to actually make a third movie even though, in the original pitch pre-BVS, they had planned for 2.

The full pitch is transcribed here.  I'm not tagging this thread as spoilers because there's no plan for these movies to ever be made, but hot damn.

Cast:

Ben Affleck : Bruce Wayne / Batman

Henry Cavill : Clark Kent / Superman

Amy Adams : Lois Lane

Gal Gadot : Diana Prince / Wonder Woman

Ezra Miller : Barry Allen / The Flash

Jason Momoa : Arthur Curry / Aquaman

Ray Fisher : Victor Stone / Cyborg

Spoiler

Harry Lennix : Calvin Swanwick / Martian Manhunter

Amber Heard : Mera

Jesse Eisenberg : Lex Luthor

Will Smith : Deadshot

Elena Anaya : Dr. Maru / Dr. Poison

Patrick Wilson : Prince Orm / Ocean Master

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II : Black Manta

TBD : Leonard Snart / Captain Cold

TBD : Edward Nygma / The Riddler

Ray Porter : Darkseid

Jeremy Irons : Alfred Pennyworth

Diane Lane : Martha Kent

Connie Nielsen : Queen Hippolyta

J.K. Simmons : Commissioner James Gordon

Story by Chris Terrio and Zack Snyder

Directed by Zack Snyder

Original Planned Release Date for Justice League 2 : June 14, 2019

Edited by MarkHB
Added The Riddler who I forgot initially..

I wish that was easier to read.

I almost want to be mad about these story turns but it feels very...DC. This is a full on Imaginary Story.

DC loves rebooting their universe and telling Elseworld stories (I'm not saying Marvel doesn't, DC just does it every 3 years it seems). Turning the characters on their head is sort of their brand at this point. But they started doing this after decades of established history. You can't dive head first into Bruce and Lois having a baby! Nothing matters without a baseline. Since MOS they've taken for granted the public interpretation of Superman, not caring about building up the movie version to be that guy who stands for truth, justice, etc. Now they're taking for granted the shocking revelation that Lois Lane had Bruce Wayne's baby...but I don't care about either of these characters because I don't know them.

• Love 2

So did Snyder and the writers play Injustice before they sat down to plan out these movies?

That treatment completely craps on Lois Lane.  Lying to Bruce about his being the father?  Existing solely to motivate Superman's turn to the dark side, cause conflict between Clark and Bruce, and give birth to the next Batman?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

Cool! (you know, if this thing ever gets made) There had been no word about Iris/Clemons for a while, and people were starting to think that they were going to recast.

Mistake in the article, though; the author seems to have used the TV show backstory of Barry & Iris, even though she specifically says "in the comics".

6 hours ago, Trini said:

There's also people calling out the article for saying it was Zack Snyder who cut Clemons from Justice League.

I saw some of that, and if what was said around the time of the home video release of the theatrical cut is true, that she was Rick Famuyima's pick and he had already left The Flash, so they would cut her so the next director could choose his own direction, then it's really splitting hairs from my POV.

Also: due to scheduling issues, Billy Crudup will not be able to return as Henry Allen in The Flash movie.

On 3/12/2021 at 6:33 PM, Trini said:

Cool! I get to watch her die for like, the sixth time -- says person who has watched the TV show. (It's me; I'm person.)

I miss the pre-Geoff Johns continuity where she wasn't murdered at all.

Sacrilege! How can someone go on a hero's journey without suffering grief and anguish over the tragic death of their parent(s)?

Edit: Scheduling issues, or "scheduling issues"? Because if past experience holds true, the current director of this increasingly hypothetical movie is going to bail before principal photography begins and they'll have to restart the production from scratch AGAIN.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • LOL 4

What's weird to me is I really, really like Stargirl, which is 100% Geoff Johns, & yet I kinda hate everything else he's involved with.  Maybe it's because he put so much of his emotion about his sister's untimely death into that comic & that show.  It's probably an anomaly, I guess, but that's a great show, IMO.  But he's really screwed up everything else he's been involved with.

• Love 3
On 3/20/2021 at 7:11 PM, ICantDoThatDave said:

What's weird to me is I really, really like Stargirl, which is 100% Geoff Johns, & yet I kinda hate everything else he's involved with.  Maybe it's because he put so much of his emotion about his sister's untimely death into that comic & that show.  It's probably an anomaly, I guess, but that's a great show, IMO.  But he's really screwed up everything else he's been involved with.

Hated that he made 90s Superboy a hybrid clone of Lex Luthor and Superman(he even wrote a letter back before he worked for DC to the Superboy comic suggesting it) and I really hate how he brought Barry Allen back, undoing his heroic sacrifice from CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS and  causing Flashpoint and destroying the post Crisis DC timeline. Also having him be the one to discover the Speed Force instead of Wally West. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Wonder Woman 3 is going to be way more Snyderesque after the success of ZSJL and failure of WW84. It's just as well, the Amazon and war stuff in the first movie was what Jenkins' excelled at. Doing an actual superhero story seems beyond her.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 3/20/2021 at 10:11 PM, ICantDoThatDave said:

Stargirl is great, no question (although I've only seen the show, not read the comics), and I also have to give Johns props for saving Hal Jordan from Parallax.  I think he grew up thinking the same thing most of us DC fans did: "If I had the chance I'd straighten out the continuity and make it all make sense!"  He actually got the chance, in fact multiple chances, going so far as to cast Dr. Manhattan in the roles of Gardiner Fox, Carmine Infantino, Julie Schwartz, and Dick Giordano, and I think what he mainly proved is that there are just too many cooks in the kitchen at DC.

Edited by MarkHB
8 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Wonder Woman 3 is going to be way more Snyderesque after the success of ZSJL and failure of WW84. It's just as well, the Amazon and war stuff in the first movie was what Jenkins' excelled at. Doing an actual superhero story seems beyond her.

I don’t think it’s accurate to call ZSJL a success and WW84 a failure. WW84 had horrible buzz but it put up huge streaming numbers and did well in the box office. Most of the reviews of ZSJL call it better than the Whedon version but still not a good movie. ZSJL cleared a very low bar and WW84 failed to clear a very high bar. If WB takes that to as a sign that the should move back towards Snyder’s style they are idiots. 

Edited by Guest
9 hours ago, Dani said:

I don’t think it’s accurate to call ZSJL a success and WW84 a failure. WW84 had horrible buzz but it put up huge streaming numbers and did well in the box office. Most of the reviews of ZSJL call it better than the Whedon version but still not a good movie. ZSJL cleared a very low bar and WW84 failed to clear a very high bar. If WB takes that to as a sign that the should move back towards Snyder’s style they are idiots. 

The takeaway from those movies is that you shouldn't give your director carte blanche nor should you be trying to force them to film something that goes against everything they've done before.

• Love 6

Is there any progress on a Green Lantern project? The Snyder cut reminded that they do exist. And the interesting thing is that they are probably the most flexible super hero intellectual property around. Sure, you could make it a Hal Jordan movie. But it could be a story of any exceptional man, woman, or alien. Or any combination of all three or more! You can have it in a cosmic setting or on earth. Origin story? You can use one from the comics or make one up.

I'm kind of surprised no one has made a good pitch.

15 hours ago, xaxat said:

Is there any progress on a Green Lantern project? The Snyder cut reminded that they do exist. And the interesting thing is that they are probably the most flexible super hero intellectual property around. Sure, you could make it a Hal Jordan movie. But it could be a story of any exceptional man, woman, or alien. Or any combination of all three or more! You can have it in a cosmic setting or on earth. Origin story? You can use one from the comics or make one up.

I'm kind of surprised no one has made a good pitch.

There is a Green Lantern HBO Max series that is supposed to start filming next month. Here’s the official description:

From HBO Max, DC, Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television comes a bold adaptation of the iconic comic book franchise, a saga spanning decades and galaxies. Green Lantern will depict the adventures of a multitude of Lanterns, including Guy Gardner, Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz, and Alan Scott — Earth’s first Green Lantern, who, true to the comics, is a gay man — and many more. The series will also include fan favorites such as Sinestro and Kilowog, and will also introduce new heroes to the ranks of the Green Lantern Corps.

Edited by Guest
22 hours ago, Trini said:

If this isn't April fools...

'Ava DuVernay's 'New Gods,' James Wan's 'The Trench' DC Movies Not Moving Forward'

Well, smeg. Ava's project was one of the few things in development I was excited about.

Yeah.  I've seen a couple of things on that, one that they didn't want people to confuse (aka "compare, contrast, and complain about") Ava's approach with ZSJL, and elsewhere that what she was planning likely wouldn't have fit in a single film. The last doesn't surprise me as I have the Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus and it literally weighs nearly 10 pounds.

THR has, over Warner Bros. objections, written The Big Ray Fisher Story...

Skip to the ending...

"I don't believe some of these people are fit for positions of leadership," says Fisher, who explains he's not looking for anyone to be fired. "I don't want them excommunicated from Hollywood, but I don't think they should be in charge of the hiring and firing of other people." Fisher knows he's not going to win that battle, but he feels a point has been made. "If I can't get accountability," he says, "at least I can make people aware of who they're dealing with."

For reference, the "hatchet job" article Fisher has referred to as his reason for no longer wanting to work on anything associated with Walter Hamada is here.

• Useful 3
(edited)
On 4/6/2021 at 3:42 PM, MarkHB said:

THR has, over Warner Bros. objections, written The Big Ray Fisher Story...

Skip to the ending...

For reference, the "hatchet job" article Fisher has referred to as his reason for no longer wanting to work on anything associated with Walter Hamada is here.

And apparently Whedon also threatened to railroad Gal Gadot and Patty Jenkins over “creative differences”

Poor Ray. I’m not interested in the Snyder Cut but it’s cool he had a better part. Hopefully he’ll have great parts under more deserving directors that treat him with respect in the future.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Hopefully he’ll have great parts under more deserving directors that treat him with respect in the future.

If nothing else, I'm glad that the narrative about him has changed. Originally he was portrayed as a "difficult" actor. But now people realize that he was right and Whedon is an abusive asshole.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, MarkHB said:

(and I wish i knew what was up with Instagram embeds)

Instagram (and Facebook) made a change that has caused embeds to stop working for the foreseeable future. 

Well, here's another failed embed (thanks, Zuck!)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNeQwh8F498/

Black Adam started production yesterday.  The photo is the production slate; the caption:

History in the making, extremely excited and what a humbling moment to share with you.

Officially kicking off DAY 1 of filming our BLACK ADAM

Our Director and maestro, Jaume Collet-Serra.
Our Academy Award nominee (Joker), Director of Photography, Lawrence Sher.

We have an all star production crew - incredibly talented, galvanized, committed and focused to raise the bar and deliver something SPECIAL for the world.

This one is an honor.

#ProtectorOfThePeople
#ManInBlack
#BlackAdam
#Day1

I didn't realize the DP was the guy who filmed Joker!

On 4/12/2021 at 3:46 PM, BetterButter said:

Just saw her in The Man with the Iron Fists and she had such an awesome fight scene.  I hope she get one in this movie too.  

It's funny, I've never been that interested in DC movies (the only one I've seen in theaters is Lego Batman with the only other DC movie being Wonder Woman) but the more recently announced movies are sounding pretty good.  Looking forward to Suicide Squad and now Black Adam and Shazam 2.  I guess I'll have to check out Shazam 1 at some point.  I think it's just I'm not a fan of the bigger name DC characters but I love the lesser ones where writers can really have fun with the characters.