Type keyword(s) to search

The DC Extended Universe: To Thanagar and Beyond!

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

On 9/10/2020 at 12:36 PM, MarkHB said:

Also on the schedule for this weekend is the screening of the new animated Superman: Man of Tomorrow movie, so if you want to see it for free I believe this is your chance. Don't count on it ever making it to DC Universe.

Saw it! It was fine. Obviously Clark/Superman is the lead, but I wish there had been more Lois Lane. The voice acting from Clark, Lois, and Lex was fairly flat half the time; I feel like that was a directing issue.

I know some are thrown by the new animation style and designs, but I liked them just fine.

• Love 1

According to Hollywood Reporter: Warner Bros. Shuffles Calendar

The Batman, which stars Robert Pattinson as the caped crusader, is on the move again. After a series of production delays, the superhero pic's release date in theaters is being pushed from Oct. 1, 2021 to March 4, 2022, Warner Bros. announced Monday evening.

The tentpole was among a number of key changes made to the studio's release calendar as it grapples with the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

<...>

On the DC front, The Flash, starring Ezra Miller as the speedy superhero, is moving back from June 3, 2022 to Nov. 4, 2022. Shazam! Fury of the Gods is leaving that Nov. 4, 2022 date and is shifting to June 2, 2023, while Dwayne Johnson spinoff Black Adam is moving off its Dec. 22, 2021  slot and is now undated.

Wonder Woman (December) hasn't been moved... yet.

• Love 1

One could have easily guessed this, but WB confirms that DC FanDome will be back next year (unless there was some othe official word I missed?):

And it was retweeted by the DC Comics twitter account.

On 10/12/2020 at 6:58 PM, Trini said:

One could have easily guessed this, but WB confirms that DC FanDome will be back next year (unless there was some othe official word I missed?):

And it was retweeted by the DC Comics twitter account.

... and they deleted the tweet. Curious. Although, I'm sure they will do some version of FanDome again next year since it seemed to be a PR success for the most part.

6 hours ago, Trini said:

... and they deleted the tweet. Curious. Although, I'm sure they will do some version of FanDome again next year since it seemed to be a PR success for the most part.

They said they're looking for ways to monetize it; hopefully it's not too intrusive.  AT&T really needs to book some revenue out of the TimeWarner division. And, if FanDome has the same late-August date as this year, the only DC films slated to release between now and then are WW84 and The Suicide Squad (as of today), so they should have plenty to talk about.

• Love 1

Managing Movie Superheroes Is About to Get a Lot More Complicated

The most expensive DC movies (up to four a year, starting in 2022) are designed for release in theaters, Mr. Hamada said. Additional superhero films (two annually is the goal, perhaps focused on riskier characters like Batgirl and Static Shock) will arrive exclusively on HBO Max, the fledgling streaming service owned by WarnerMedia.

In addition, DC Films, which is part of Warner Bros., will work with filmmakers to develop movie offshoots — TV series that will run on HBO Max and interconnect with their big-screen endeavors.

So frustrating to see them still moving full speed ahead on shaky ground rather than taking the time build a solid foundation. 

19 hours ago, Dani said:

Managing Movie Superheroes Is About to Get a Lot More Complicated

So frustrating to see them still moving full speed ahead on shaky ground rather than taking the time build a solid foundation. 

The way I see it, they are deciding that there doesn't have to be an overarching foundation for their movie universe. They are writing off the concept of a unified DC universe, which is probably better for the company and better for the fans. 

As great as the MCU is/was, IMO you shouldn't have to have seen a dozen movies to get the latest one. You shouldn't force films to conform to a single style or formula. You should be able to have freedom to adapt to what works and what doesn't work. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

The way I see it, they are deciding that there doesn't have to be an overarching foundation for their movie universe. They are writing off the concept of a unified DC universe, which is probably better for the company and better for the fans. 

As great as the MCU is/was, IMO you shouldn't have to have seen a dozen movies to get the latest one. You shouldn't force films to conform to a single style or formula. You should be able to have freedom to adapt to what works and what doesn't work. 

I’m not talking about an overarching foundation for their movie universe. I’m talking about a foundation of being able to make consistently good movies that audiences want to see. A foundation that builds trusts with audiences. That is what they are failing miserably at and I don’t have any faith that abandoning the DC Cinematic Universe will improve a thing. They are now in situation where even people inclined to like their movies often take a wait and see approach.

Although I’m not sure you can actually say they have abandoned their movie universe when they have several franchises still existing in that universe. Plus the rumors for the Flashpoint movie point to them trying to pull everything together in an overarching foundation. 

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, Dani said:

I’m not talking about an overarching foundation for their movie universe. I’m talking about a foundation of being able to make consistently good movies that audiences want to see. A foundation that builds trusts with audiences. That is what they are failing miserably at and I don’t have any faith that abandoning the DC Cinematic Universe will improve a thing. They are now in situation where even people inclined to like their movies often take a wait and see approach.

Although I’m not sure you can actually say they have abandoned their movie universe when they have several franchises still existing in that universe. Plus the rumors for the Flashpoint movie point to them trying to pull everything together in an overarching foundation. 

Sorry I misunderstood what you meant by foundation.

I don't see how one can read the piece you linked to as saying anything but them going away from the notion of a single Cinematic Universe and telling different stories. They have no plans for the guy who was the mastermind behind the current Cinematic Universe to continue beyond revising the Justice Leage movie. The approach they seem to be taking would allow more films like Joker, which don't fit into the established continuity but are good (or at least money-earning) movies.

5 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Sorry I misunderstood what you meant by foundation.

I don't see how one can read the piece you linked to as saying anything but them going away from the notion of a single Cinematic Universe and telling different stories. They have no plans for the guy who was the mastermind behind the current Cinematic Universe to continue beyond revising the Justice Leage movie. The approach they seem to be taking would allow more films like Joker, which don't fit into the established continuity but are good (or at least money-earning) movies.

Sure. That’s why I didn’t say a single Cinematic Universe. I read it has them expanding from the idea of a single Cinematic Universe into a Cinematic Multiverse. That sounds to me like what Marvel is attempting to do with the MCU and what was done with the Arrowverse shows. To me that is still an overarching foundation. That is extremely tricky and it feels like they are rushing again. I’d rather they prove they can make a decent sequel to any of their current movies first. 

Edited by Guest
20 hours ago, Trini said:

Definitely wanted to see more of Cyborg.

I'm happy to get my Cyborg fix from Doom Patrol, I find him to be a more interesting and complex character there than anyting I saw in Justice League.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Trini said:

Another (longer) response from Ray Fisher:

Why are they working so hard to protect Geoff Johns? I could understand if DC Films was a massive success with him. Even without the allegations any sane executive would be searching for someone new with based on the terrible word-of-mouth from Birds of Prey and WW84 alone. 

2 hours ago, Dani said:

Why are they working so hard to protect Geoff Johns? I could understand if DC Films was a massive success with him. Even without the allegations any sane executive would be searching for someone new with based on the terrible word-of-mouth from Birds of Prey and WW84 alone. 

My guess is it's a combination of Hamada and Johns having become friends along the way, and also Johns being a principal mover on the TV side (Stargirl, Titans, Green Lantern Corps) and AT&T having placed "Make HBO Max succeed" at roughly the same corporate strategic priority as "Totally fuck up the 5G rollout while raising fees."  It's interesting, though; some insiders have felt free to take shots at Johns.  Diane Nelson, former head of DC Entertainment, said on Twitter after she left that he was "no friend of [hers]".  David Ayer, when asked why the slide in Suicide Squad that said Harley Quinn was an accomplice in the death of Robin contradicted Ayer's backstory, said that Johns had added that in after the studio took control of the movie.  (Ayer's story was that, when the Joker killed Robin, Batman hauled off and smashed his mouth in, leading to the grill and the "Damaged" forehead tattoo.  The Joker was seen to have both of those in the scene where he met Dr. Quinzel, so Harley couldn't have been present when Robin was killed, much less an accomplice.)

Official synopsis for The Suicide Squad has been released:

“Welcome to hell — a.k.a. Belle Reve, the prison with the highest mortality rate in the US of A. Where the worst Super-Villains are kept and where they will do anything to get out—even join the super-secret, super-shady Task Force X. Today’s do-or-die assignment? Assemble a collection of cons, including Bloodsport, Peacemaker, Captain Boomerang, Ratcatcher 2, Savant, King Shark, Blackguard, Javelin and everyone’s favorite psycho, Harley Quinn. Then arm them heavily and drop them (literally) on the remote, enemy-infused island of Corto Maltese.”

“Trekking through a jungle teeming with militant adversaries and guerrilla forces at every turn, the Squad is on a search-and- destroy mission with only Colonel Rick Flag on the ground to make them behave…and Amanda Waller’s government techies in their ears, tracking their every movement. And as always, one wrong move and they’re dead (whether at the hands of their opponents, a teammate, or Waller herself). If anyone’s laying down bets, the smart money is against them—all of them.”

(via Batman-News.com)

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Sorry - I haven’t really been keeping up with the news on this one, but is this a sequel to the previous Suicide Squad, or a different take altogether?

As far as I can tell, they have never officially said one way or the other.  The best description I can come up with would be “follow up,” since technically there are returning characters/actors.  As for the story, I imagine there are basically two possibilities: either they will painstakingly ignore the first film, or make constant meta references to it.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Sorry - I haven’t really been keeping up with the news on this one, but is this a sequel to the previous Suicide Squad, or a different take altogether?

I’ve been keeping up and still have no clue. One producer described as a “total reboot” so it sounds like a completely different take. However, some characters are returning so it’s doesn’t seem like a complete reboot. Sounds like it may be a parallel universe but for now it’s clear as mud. 

Edited by Guest

There are four main returning characters: Waller, Flag, Boomerang and Harley. I think the first three will be consistent with the way they were portrayed in the first film, and "consistent" has a very broad meaning for HQ. The others? If the theory I read about Nathan Fillion's character is true, this thing is already off the rails.

Said theory:

Spoiler

We know he's playing something called TDK. Looking at his logo from the character video at FanDome, his arms look severed. The theory is that TDK is The Detachable Kid, a version of Arm-Fall-Off Boy from the Legion, who takes off his arm and uses it as a club.

We had trailers for years before New Mutants had its brief theatrical run. I'm not going to be convinced until the Flash movie opens and I hear from reputable critics that it wasn't just a bunch of explosions and Jesse Eisenberg capering around for several hours.

• LOL 4

So, this is from Grace Randolph's video yesterday, so take it with as much salt as you wish:

Spoiler

Supergirl will be from Earth-89, and come back to the new Flashpoint Earth with Michael Keaton at the end of the movie.  Grace also included a note that she's hearing that the Flash film will be "like Flashpoint meets Crisis". Henry Cavill's future in the franchise is apparently still up in the air.

I am slightly annoyed that they used the Williams Superman music in that video, rather than the MoS music that goes with this universe. But I'm happy with her casting.

On 2/20/2021 at 12:14 PM, MarkHB said:

So, this is from Grace Randolph's video yesterday, so take it with as much salt as you wish:

Who? I don't believe anyone that says they have plot details this early on.

Edited by Trini
oy, grammar
3 hours ago, Trini said:

Who? I don't believe anyone says they have plot details this early on.

She's a vlogger.  She has enough cred to get Snyder for an interview from time to time, at least, but a lot of other movie vloggers / influencers hate her and say she knows nothing. I know I don't know anything so I have no way or reason to judge her; for entertainment purposes only, as they say.

1 hour ago, MarkHB said:

She's a vlogger.  She has enough cred to get Snyder for an interview from time to time, at least, but a lot of other movie vloggers / influencers hate her and say she knows nothing. I know I don't know anything so I have no way or reason to judge her; for entertainment purposes only, as they say.

I wasn’t aware of her before the Pedro Pascal thing but what from I can tell she has questionable sources and refuses to ever acknowledge when she is wrong. Cathy Yan and James Gunn have both publicly said she makes things up. 

Edited by Guest
On 2/19/2021 at 5:29 PM, Trini said:

I don't really have any issue or comment with the casting; my first thought is - why is Supergirl in this?? I'm sure it'll be a cameo to set up her own film, but still. Still not fully convinced this Flash film is happening. Waiting for the trailer...

The article says she did a chemistry read with Ezra Miller, so that implies something more in line with WW in BVS rather than just a quickie cameo.

And certainly there won't be any idiotic whining about a Latina actress playing a character who is typically white (or rather an alien who looks white) in the comics.

6 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

The article says she did a chemistry read with Ezra Miller, so that implies something more in line with WW in BVS rather than just a quickie cameo.

We have to wait and see, of course; but I don't think it will be quite that substantial. Not that they have to follow the comics, but Supergirl isn't connected to The Flash the way Wonder Woman is to Batman and Superman (as the core of the Justice League).

But with the chemistry read, it does make me think there may a Barry Allen/Kara Danvers(?) scene.

• Useful 1
36 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Maybe they're aiming for the instant BFF that occurred when Grant's Flash first met Melissa's Supergirl?

Ha - good luck recreating that chemistry! But maybe they are. She might be partially taking over (previous BFF) Cyborg's role.

• Useful 1

Hollywood Reporter has this "according to sources" tidbit:

According to sources, the project is being set up as a Black Superman story. This is something that the studio has been trying to wrap its head around for months, if not a year or two. Michael B. Jordan tried to develop a Black Superman project when he first arrived at the studio with his deal in 2019, but that did not go very far at the time, according to sources. It is possible that the studio could return to him to star down the line.

Yes, there's a Black Superman in the comics, but I'm skeptical that WB/DC is ready racebend it's top tier hero for the big screen.

Sounds to me like it may not be Clark Kent but one of the other alternate Earth black Supermen that they have.

Coates has made comments in the past about how he's never read DC and never had any interest in Superman as a character, so I'm skeptical. It sure would be nice if WB would seek out someone who actually LIKES this character to make a movie about him.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 4