Type keyword(s) to search

The DC Extended Universe: To Thanagar and Beyond!

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

39 minutes ago, Trini said:

Since it had been brought up here before, Joss Whedon responds to the controversies with him and the Justice League actors (among other things) in this article at Vulture.

Making the excuse that Gal Gadot misunderstood because “English isn’t her first language” is pretty low, even for him. Love Gal’s response: “I understood perfectly.”

• Love 7

Gal Gadot has a strong accent, but nothing I've ever heard her say gave any indication she has trouble understanding the language fluently. And let's be real, "face mashed in boobs, ha ha!" isn't a concept that requires a lot of nuanced understanding of the complexities of a language.

• Love 3

Did he expect us to feel sorry for him after interview? Instead of apologizing for his actions he's blaming the victims for "misunderstanding" him. People like him are very predictable thinking their actions shouldn't have consequences. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Trini said:

He posted a few tweets, but here's one of Ray Fisher's responses:

To be fair, the line about his mom was something the writer of the article pulled from a speech Joss gave 15 years ago to frame the things Joss was saying now.

This was most definitely not a pro-Joss PR/fluff piece, maybe Joss thought it would be when he agreed to it, but he did a good enough job of hanging himself, and Shapiro made sure to not let his statements go unchallenged, that there's really no need to focus in on an odd thing he said about his Mom well over a decade ago.

There's a lot of bad that can be said about that article, but I think one worst things is the author perpetuating fan/anti-fan conspiracy theories about Fisher, Synder, and Carpenter. Even if they needed to mention the fan campaign for the Synder Cut, that other stuff didn't need to be there at all, and I actually think it's harmful.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Trini said:

There's a lot of bad that can be said about that article, but I think one worst things is the author perpetuating fan/anti-fan conspiracy theories about Fisher, Synder, and Carpenter. Even if they needed to mention the fan campaign for the Synder Cut, that other stuff didn't need to be there at all, and I actually think it's harmful.

I think that the way it's framed, with Shapiro pointing out up front that they have no proof for their theories as soon as they're brought up makes Joss and his supporters (correctly) look like delusional conspiracy theorists who are grasping at straws.

She also immediately follows by saying that Snyder's version of the film is "critically acclaimed" which contrasts the earlier assessment of his version of the film as a "debacle" which serves to frame Joss's decisions and claims about the film/Fisher and the criticisms of him as being proved wrong by the final product.

4 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

She also immediately follows by saying that Snyder's version of the film is "critically acclaimed"

If "better than the theatrical version" is a synonym for "acclaim," I suppose.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I mean, I guess I want to see Aldis Hodge as Hawkman, but other than that I'm still not enthused for a Black Adam movie. Hope it goes well for The Rock, though; since he's the one person who really wants this.

• Love 2

Wonder Twins movie in development for HBO Max: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/wonder-twins-dc-movie-adam-sztykiel-director-1235093333/

Warner Bros. is activating the power of the Wonder Twins.

The Burbank-based studio has hired Adam Sztykiel, who worked on the upcoming Black Adam, to write and direct an original live-action feature for HBO Max based on the DC characters.

Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey of Temple Hill — the prolific banner whose credits range from The Twilight Saga and The Maze Runner to The Fault in Our Stars and Love, Simon — will produce the project, which will be titled Wonder Twins.

1 minute ago, tv echo said:

Maybe it was accidental on James Gunn's part, but I love that he put the OP in his place. There's nothing wrong with Superman, but the whole 'there's actually only one valid choice' thing annoys me.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Anduin said:

Maybe it was accidental on James Gunn's part, but I love that he put the OP in his place. There's nothing wrong with Superman, but the whole 'there's actually only one valid choice' thing annoys me.

I agree. It’s also more than a little insulting to imply that WB wouldn’t allow him to make a movie with one of the “main characters”. 

(edited)

Warner Bros. Pictures' President and CCO Toby Emmerich commented on his vision for DC movies in this recent article...
https://deadline.com/2022/03/the-batman-box-office-1234970969/ 

In regards to Emmerich’s vision for DC at Warner Bros, he responds, “The secret of the movie business is quality. It’s the best business strategy for both theatrical motion pictures and superhero movies. The movies don’t have to all have the same tone, or interlock with other DC movies, or have an Easter egg that sets up another film. Quality is the most important factor for a studio, and the biggest thing you can do to influence quality is the filmmaker that you hire.”

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, cambridgeguy said:

Spoken like someone whose studio isn't the one pumping out extremely profitable blockbusters on a regular basis.

Yep. Marvel may be formulaic, but it's a formula that works. I can appreciate DC playing around and trying different things, but I haven't seen one of their movies since Man of Steel. Nothing has really grabbed me.

Why do I post in this thread, then? Because I'm still interested in the idea of DC movies. I'm just looking for the right one.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 3/7/2022 at 5:44 AM, tv echo said:

Warner Bros. Pictures' President and CCO Toby Emmerich commented on his vision for DC movies in this recent article...
https://deadline.com/2022/03/the-batman-box-office-1234970969/ 

Someone should tell him the secret to the movie business is making movies people enjoy. That quote just irritates me. Don’t knock another studio when we all know you would repeat their pattern if you could. 

Edited by Guest

Post production delays has WB shifting the release dates of some films:

https://deadline.com/2022/03/warner-bros-release-dates-the-flash-aquaman-wonka-shazam-sequel-1234974660/

• DC League of Super-Pets moves from May 20 to July 29.
  • The Flash moves from November 4 to June 23, 2023.
  • Aquaman [2] moves from December 16 to March 17, 2023.
  • Wonka moves from March 17, 2023, to December 15, 2023.
  • Shazam! Fury of the Gods moves up from June 2, 2023, to December 16, 2022
  • Meg 2: The Trench has been set for August 4, 2023.

Also on the move is this year’s Dwayne Johnson-led Black Adam, from July 29 to October 21. The star revealed that one earlier today.

Dang - just when they got me thinking that Flash movie was happening. Welp, back to ignoring it until I see proof of life.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Trini said:

Post production delays has WB shifting the release dates of some films:

https://deadline.com/2022/03/warner-bros-release-dates-the-flash-aquaman-wonka-shazam-sequel-1234974660/

Dang - just when they got me thinking that Flash movie was happening. Welp, back to ignoring it until I see proof of life.

That really doesn’t inspire confidence. It also hilarious to me that they put out that big DC 2022 Super Bowl trailer to make it completely irrelevant less than a month later. That thing is showing before The Batman. 

Also, Matt Reeves revealed over the weekend that the Gotham PD series isn’t happening and has evolved into a Arkham Asylum series. 

25 minutes ago, Dani said:

Also, Matt Reeves revealed over the weekend that the Gotham PD series isn’t happening and has evolved into a Arkham Asylum series. 

I'm not so sure that Arkham series will go forward since today there was an announcement about a Penguin limited series. I'm skeptical that they will do two TV projects based on the film.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2022/03/09/hbo-max-orders-limited-drama-series-the-penguin-wt-starring-colin-farrell-348111/20220309warnermedia02/

· HBO Max has given a straight-to-series order to THE PENGUIN (working title), a limited series starring Colin Farrell in the title role. The DC drama expands upon the world filmmaker Matt Reeves has created for Warner Bros. Pictures' global blockbuster "The Batman" and centers on the character played by Farrell in the film.

• Useful 1

Heh -- There used to be a joke in a certain part of the (CW) Flash fandom that Grant Gustin had cursed the movie production, that it wouldn't come out until he was done with his show. And now it's hilarious to see the prophecy actually coming true!

I actually do want to see a Flash film, but the development hell this one has been going through is ridiculous.

• LOL 1
On 3/9/2022 at 8:54 PM, Dani said:

God, I want a Gotham Central series.  You know, the show that Gotham was sold as.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

Why are Batman Movies Afriad of Robin?

I really think the new series starting with The Batman is the best chance to introduce Robin.

Quoting here since my answer is general.

I think the main hinderance to Robin/the Robins showing up in a Bat movie is that WB wants Bats to be established on his own before bringing in sidekicks. Batman Forever brought in Robin but Bats had been established within the story thanks to Batman and Batman Returns. The Nolan movies brought in a sidekick for Bats but only in the third movie. They established that the Robins existed when Affleck came along so maybe there was a long term intention of having them had he stuck around. Right now The Batman takes place super early in Bats' career and I think they'll want to play around with that before it's time to consider any of the Robins much less all of them.

It would be interesting to see a Bat movie with Robin(s) right there from jump. Instead of the flashback to his parents' murders we could get a flashback to how one or all became his ward and then sidekick. There's a lot of potential with that setup.

What I really want is for Warner to loosen the leash and let Bats go to television. Make a distinction between movie Bats, who will be a solo show facing off against the famous rogues, and tv Bats who gets to have the Bat Family and all the drama that comes with it. They won't because they believe they'll be losing money but I think that's probably the best/only way we'll get to see Batman and the Robins in live action.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 3/19/2022 at 7:00 PM, scarynikki12 said:

What I really want is for Warner to loosen the leash and let Bats go to television. Make a distinction between movie Bats, who will be a solo show facing off against the famous rogues, and tv Bats who gets to have the Bat Family and all the drama that comes with it. They won't because they believe they'll be losing money but I think that's probably the best/only way we'll get to see Batman and the Robins in live action.

I've wanted a proper Batfamily TV series for years. I don't care if it's live action or animated, just use all of the comic characters and don't mask it as Titans series.

• Love 3

Of all the films listed in the "Publicly discussed with no date attached" section of the Page One post, guess which one has made the news....

On 4/10/2015 at 9:20 AM, MarkHB said:

"Blackhawk," interest from Steven Spielberg

Interview with David Koepp who has written the script... (via Comicbook.com)

Has there been any movement on Blackhawks recently?

KOEPP: We have a script that’s very good and we all think it's very good. There were a lot of management changes at Warner Bros, so I think we’ve just been kind of waiting for that to settle down.and for them to decide what they want to do with their DC Universe. Obviously I hope he does it or if he doesn’t direct it, I hope he produces it, someone great directs. Because it would be a great deal of fun. I’m very fond of the script and I hope it comes together. But again, that’s one of those movies that’s gonna need $200 million so, trying to get those whales off the beach is a big process.

I was curious, since with the DC Universe, they’re going in a much different direction than what Marvel does and having everything together. Whereas DC now has The Batman which is entirely separate from the mainline films and they had Joker, which was also separate. Was this movie also going to be set in the universe of Wonder Woman and Aquaman?

KOEPP: No, and it would be hard because it’s 1941 or 1940, actually. So it would be a little tricky. As we were developing the script, we said “Hey, let’s make one great movie. It’s 1940, that’s the way it is.” And if it works out and in the future they decide they want to unite anybody, I’m sure time travel will not be a problem. Because comic books have a great way of figuring that stuff out. “We need Wonder Woman to be there!” Fine. Well, then she can, because of the ‘Prometheus Portal’. I’m like “what’s the Prometheus Portal.” “You don’t know about the Prometheus Portal?”

Now I need a Prometheus Portal.

• Useful 1

Justice League Star Ezra Miller Arrested for Harassment
By Richard Nebens    March 29, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/justice-league-ezra-miller-arrested-harassment 

Shortly after midnight on Monday, March 28, the Hawaii County Police Department arrested Justice League star Ezra Miller in a Hawaiian karaoke bar in Hilo on charges of disorderly conduct and harassment.

According to reports, Miller yelled obscenities and became agitated and aggressive at the venue. Details allege they grabbed a microphone from a woman singing at the bar and threw themselves at another man playing darts.

The bar owner attempted to calm Miller down several times, but Miller remained in his agitated state. The actor was released on a $500 bail after being charged for both offenses.
The actor was also caught on camera seemingly choking a woman outside of a bar in Iceland in April 2020, which led to fan cries for them to be removed from his role as The Flash. While it's still unclear what happened this time in Hawaii, this isn't something that's going to be easy for Miller to work through, given their incidents becoming a trend.

Edited by tv echo
On 3/29/2022 at 10:26 AM, tv echo said:

Justice League Star Ezra Miller Arrested for Harassment
By Richard Nebens    March 29, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/justice-league-ezra-miller-arrested-harassment 

More things keep coming out. He threatened to kill a couple and stole from them. No surprise really I never forget Ezra Miller chocking that female a few years ago. This incident made that video make the rounds again. This guy is a piece of crap.

• Love 1
(edited)

Chris Pine shoots down Steve Trevor's return in 'Wonder Woman 3': 'I wish them all the best'
Patrick Ryan    March 30, 2022
https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2022/03/31/chris-pine-contractor-all-the-old-knives-interview-star-trek-wonder-woman/7205235001/

Q: Speaking of Patty, have you spoken to her or Gal Gadot about how you might be able to bring back Steve Trevor again for "Wonder Woman 3?" 
Pine: I think poor Steve is dead, but I wish them all the best on the third one.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

I was reading an article that said Ezra was the subject of police calls 10 times since March 3. Whatever it is, they are definitely on a downward spiral. DC is paying for their decision to ignore the previous accusation against them. Flash was supposed to be a lynchpin movie. 

On 3/31/2022 at 9:38 AM, Trini said:

yeechh - He keeps acting out, and the TV show is going to get 10 seasons while the movie goes only to streaming.

18 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

He doesn't strike me as an evil person per se, I'm getting more of a mentally ill vibe.

Just FYI, a few articles on the story have mentioned the Ezra uses they/them pronouns. 

Edited by Guest
On 4/1/2022 at 7:02 PM, Dani said:

was reading an article that said Ezra was the subject of police calls 10 times since March 3. Whatever it is, they are definitely on a downward spiral. DC is paying for their decision to ignore the previous accusation against them. Flash was supposed to be a lynchpin movie.

It’s a sad situation that Ezra has spiraled so severely, and I hope they have some people in their life that can stage an effective intervention or coordinate psychological support or whatever it is that Ezra needs.

But aside from the personal mess of all this, how are they going to do any press for the Flash movie?  I heard that they hid Ezra in the press and trailers for the new “Fantastic Beasts” movie, and studios have hidden Ansel Elgort and Armie Hammer in recent press for movies where they were co-leads.  But here, Ezra is the titular lead.  Maybe they market it as a Michael Keaton film?  I guess now that the movie has been delayed yet again, there would theoretically be time for Ezra to rehab and do a tour of contrition, but yikes, what a mess.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

It’s a sad situation that Ezra has spiraled so severely, and I hope they have some people in their life that can stage an effective intervention or coordinate psychological support or whatever it is that Ezra needs.

But aside from the personal mess of all this, how are they going to do any press for the Flash movie?  I heard that they hid Ezra in the press and trailers for the new “Fantastic Beasts” movie, and studios have hidden Ansel Elgort and Armie Hammer in recent press for movies where they were co-leads.  But here, Ezra is the titular lead.  Maybe they market it as a Michael Keaton film?  I guess now that the movie has been delayed yet again, there would theoretically be time for Ezra to rehab and do a tour of contrition, but yikes, what a mess.

It is a mess. As others said had they not ignored the issues with Ezra years ago they may not be in this mess now with him. WB is still probably hoping they can hide and ignore this.

• Love 3

I suppose WB could do some limited press under strictly controlled conditions with Ezra, but it's still not going to be a good look trying to ignore the elephant in the room. Well, they have almost a year to figure it out... assuming the release date doesn't get moved again and if Ezra doesn't get into worse trouble.