Type keyword(s) to search

The DC Extended Universe: To Thanagar and Beyond!

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Here's the official show description: "Green Lantern reinvents the classic DC property through a story spanning decades and galaxies, beginning on Earth in 1941 with the very first Green Lantern, secretly gay FBI agent Alan Scott, and 1984, with cocky alpha male Guy Gardner and half-alien Bree Jarta. They'll be joined by a multitude of other Lanterns — from comic book favorites to never-before-seen heroes."

It sounds promising and I can see the humour of a Guy and Alan buddy film series, but who really wanted a Green Lantern series focused on Guy and Alan? John Stewart, Hal Jordan, I can see. I can't reason that WB wanted to save John and Hal for films because WB no longer has those edicts about keeping the film'verse and tv'verse separate (as evident by Ezra Miller's cameo in CW'S The Flash).  

I've seen spec that the show may build to Hal and/or John if they're successful but no one knows anything concrete. I think starting with lesser known (to the general public) Lanterns is the way to go since there will be fewer expectations.

12 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

WB no longer has those edicts about keeping the film'verse and tv'verse separate (as evident by Ezra Miller's cameo in CW'S The Flash).  

They're still keeping them separate. Ezra's cameo with Grant on Arrow came during the Crisis event which ended with every known DC property in their own universe and walled off from the others. It was mainly to remove doppelgangers from the Arrowverse and merge the CW shows onto a single Earth but that meant the decision makers at Warner Bros allowed cameos from the other WB/DC properties (60s Batman, Burton's Batman, Routh's Superman, Swamp Thing, Titans, Birds of Prey, Smallville, 90s Flash, Snyder's Justice League) since they weren't going to be connected by the end anyway. And even Ezra's cameo wasn't a sure thing until the last minute and the other actors in the Arrowverse learned about it when the episode aired along with everyone else.

• Love 2

I still think Ezra's cameo from Crisis might show up in the movie, since the request to include it came from the head of the movie division calling Guggy directly.

The studio must have plans for John Stewart because they specifically asked Zack Snyder not to use him at the end of Justice League ( he went with that last Martian Manhunter cameo instead).

• Love 2
(edited)

Probably expect announcements (all presentations are virtual)...

Upfronts, Digital NewFronts and Podcast Upfronts Calendar for 2021
Maryann Teller     February 23, 2021
https://www.mediavillage.com/article/upfront-and-digital-newfronts-calendar-for-2021/

May 19, 11:30 AM
WarnerMedia

ETA: Updated May 20, 2021...

HBO Max Unbound: WarnerMedia Delivers Stream-Centric Upfront Pitch, Promising More Bang For Ad Buck
By Dade Hayes   May 19, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/05/hbo-max-warnermedia-upfront-streaming-1234760307/ 

Unshackling itself from years of streaming and premium cable restraints, WarnerMedia offered a comprehensive upfront pitch commingling HBO and Warner Bros with the company’s linear TV networks.
There are two important carve-outs on the cheaper tier of HBO Max. Subscribers won’t get access to day-and-date movies from Warner Bros in 2021, though the films will eventually wind up on the platform. And HBO series, like the current drama Mare of Easttown, won’t carry ads, though Max Originals like The Flight Attendant will, along with most of the remaining 13,000 hours of programming.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

From the Justice League thread:

On 5/15/2021 at 5:23 PM, Hiyo said:

Are people still trying to make restorethesnyderverse a thing? 

Other than the Justice League sequel(s), I'm not even sure what the "Snyder-verse" would be. I know a lot of the posters feel that Aquaman was lame (although it was a billion dollars' worth of lame), and that Shazam was "for kids".  But this is the inherent risk in WB's "filmmaker-driven" approach: if each director is given ownership of their character's characterization, story and films, then you're necessarily going to sacrifice a consistent "tone" and it's inherently that much harder to bring everyone back together for any sort of Justice League 2 (I've heard that Wan and Snyder had significant creative distances over Arthur's character). Of course, right now AT&T and by extension WB is largely broke, or at least doesn't have nearly enough cash flow to finance a full-scale set of DC films AND populate HBO Max with attention-getters, so it's anyone's guess as to what the budgets going forward will look like.  In the meantime, get ready for a Roy Harper / Rehab Addict crossover!

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/17/2021 at 2:14 PM, MarkHB said:

I know a lot of the posters feel that Aquaman was lame (although it was a billion dollars' worth of lame), and that Shazam was "for kids". 

They do realize that comic books were originally for kids don't they? Honestly, as a fan of the comics I've always felt that attempts to treat superheroes seriously often just shows how silly the concept is. Besides, what's wrong with having kid friendly movies.

Finally, I remember the "mature" comics of the 90's. There were exceptions like Sandman, but most of them were just regular comic tropes with nudity, graphic violence, and cursing. I guess some things never change.

Edited by Captain Carrot
  • Love 6
On 5/22/2021 at 3:55 PM, Captain Carrot said:

They do realize that comic books were originally for kids don't they? Honestly, as a fan of the comics I've always felt that attempts to treat superheroes seriously often just shows how silly the concept is. Besides, what's wrong with having kid friendly movies.

I once searched for a Youtube recap for Cartoon Network's Young Justice and it was a kid doing the recap and my kneejerk reaction was, "What is a kid doing recapping Young Justice?" Then thought, "Actually, it's more odd that I, an adult, is actually watching YJ and looking for a review about it.

There were elements of "Shazam" and "Aquaman" I liked but overall I didn't love either film. But I would prefer a lighter touch like those films and "Wonder Woman 1984" (which I loved) than the dark, morose dingy-ness of the Snyder films.  There is a tonal middle ground that can be struck and I hope one day soon WB/DC finds it. They have arguably the greatest superheroes in the world, including the grandfather of all superheroes Superman and I don't understand why they can't crack the code of making a slamdunk of a film. 

9 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Oh my god I didn't realize how many DC movies have "dumb voiceovers"!

I swear I think I mentally blocked off half of those terrible useless voiceovers, but they're in so freaking many of those movies. Actually, feature length movie trailer is a pretty good description of a lot of Zach Snyder films. Lots of cool striking visuals without much story linking them together. 

9 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

If they want to release each part early so I can watch them now that'd be great.

SERIOUSLY! They did the same thing with The Dark Knight Returns! And you know I'm Kevin Conroy's BITCH, but if they didn't get him to play Bruce/Bats, Jensen Ackles is a good second choice.

But really, they should have gotten Conroy and Hamill.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've updated my list from the beginning of the thread... If there are any new DC film threads I've missed please let me know!

- 2020 -

* - Films below this point marked with an asterisk may not be in continuity with the original DCEU

- 2021 -

• "The Suicide Squad", written and directed by James Gunn (08/06/2021)
  • "Zack Snyder's Justice League", Director's Cut of "Justice League" (2016), (03/18/2021, HBO Max). (Discussed in original Justice League (2017) thread)

- 2022 -

• "The Batman,"* directed by Matt Reeves, Starring Robert Pattinson (03/04/2022)
  • "Black Adam", starring The Rock (07/29/2022)
  • "The Flash" starring Ezra Miller, written by Christina Hodson and directed by Andy Muschietti (11/04/2022) (Was original date for Shazam! 2)
  • "Aquaman 2" (12/16/2022)

- 2023 -    

• "Shazam! Fury of the Gods", directed by David F. Sandberg, starring Asher Angel, Zachary Levi, Helen Mirren, Lucy Liu (11/04/2022)

Animated:

• Teen Titans Go! to the Movies  (07/27/2018)
  • "DC League of Super Pets"*, starring Dwayne Johnson (05/20/2022)

In Development or Rumored:

Publicly discussed with no date attached; those in bold were in the list shown on AT&T Investors Day in April 2021.

• "Supergirl," possibly intended for late 2021 but "Black Adam" got that spot; Supergirl will appear in The Flash film.
  • "Justice League Dark" (Currently being redeveloped for film & TV by J.J. Abrams)
  • Untitled Shazam / Black Adam movie
  • "Batgirl," directed by Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah, written by Christina Hodson; anticipated for HBO Max
  • "Zatanna," being written by Emerald Fennel
  • "Blackhawk," interest from Steven Spielberg
  • "Wonder Woman 3," directed by Patty Jenkins
  • Amazons spinoff from Wonder Woman, possibly being developed by Patty Jenkins
  • "Superman," being written by Ta-Nehisi Coates and intended to star a Black Superman

Unlikely to proceed IMHO:

• "Green Lantern Corps," being written by Geoff Johns. Originally thought to be 6/5/2020. Likely replaced by the upcoming Green Lantern TV show on HBO Max. Part of the original slate from 2014.
  • "Cyborg," starring Ray Fisher (originally thought to be 04/03/20, not mentioned in 2017 SDCC list or in 2021). Part of the original slate from 2014.
  • "Gotham City Sirens," possibly directed by David Ayer, possibly Part 2 of a 3-part Harley Quinn trilogy
  • "Birds vs Sirens," the rumored third film of the Harley Quinn Trilogy
  • "Nightwing," directed by Chris McKay; possibly cancelled so Dick Grayson can be used in the Reeves Batman series
  • "Lobo," being written by Jason Fuchs

- DEFINITELY CANCELLED -

• "Joker vs Harley Quinn," written and directed by Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, starring Jared Leto and Margot Robbie
  • "New Gods," directed by Ava DuVernay, written by Tom King. CANCELLED 04/2021.  
  • "The Trench," spinoff from Aquaman.  CANCELLED 04/2021.
Edited by MarkHB
Added writer for Zatanna, Superman entry
  • Useful 2
17 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

The logo's really cute...

Kevin Hart as Ace??!  But I'm also so-so on The Rock as Krypto. But it's a kids movie I'm sure it'll be fine. I hope.

On 2/23/2021 at 10:43 AM, BetterButter said:

‘Blue Beetle': Angel Manuel Soto to Direct Film About DC Comics’ Latino Superhero (Exclusive)

"Blue Beetle" is joining "Batgirl" on HBO Max instead of a theatrical run.

Additionally, Warner Bros. has mid-budget DC movies on the way for streaming, “Batgirl” and “Blue Beetle.”

The tilt toward streaming represents a significant departure from pre-pandemic norms. HBO Max, which had a rocky start when it debuted in May 2020, needs content to convince subscribers to pay $15 a month as it competes head-on with Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video and others.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-06-08/can-warner-bros-keep-movie-dreams-alive

• Love 2
23 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Because "heroes" and they have to "sell toys"? Sure, Jan. Not with all the other stuff that's been approved for Batman in other mediums.

Anyway, I don't know which exec made that decision, but too bad for that guy, because now everyone is going to try and write in oral into Batman stories - mark my words.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
12 hours ago, Trini said:

Because "heroes" and they have to "sell toys"? Sure, Jan. Not with all the other stuff that's been approved for Batman in other mediums.

Like the sex with Barbara in the Killing Joke? Hooking up with someone you have been a mentor to and who dated your son is fine, despite the power imbalance, but oral sex? Think of the little kids! (who have no business watching Harley Quinn in the first place)

11 hours ago, starri said:

I mean, they attempted to put his naked…Batarang in a Black Label graphic novel. 

If only that was among the top 5 most disturbing things in that comic.

Speaking of costumes; the Shazam 2 superhero costumes:

https://twitter.com/ponysmasher/status/1406957456085880833

These look great, but I loved the previous Shazam costume, so I'm a tiny bit sad about the redesign.

2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

You can see more of the suit here

It's the stunt version and the cape isn't there.  One bad thing (in my opinion) is the lack of a belt/trunks/skirt.  There needs to be something to break up all that blue, otherwise it just looks like a onesie.

Spoiler

Surprised they went with short dark hair for her look. (And yes, I know that Supergirl has had that look in the comics.) Not that I thought they would make her blonde, but I thought they'd go with something closer to her traditional look.

Glad for the 'pants'; but yes, it's needs a belt.

Still wondering about the context of Supergirl being in this Flash film. I think it's likely this she's an 'alternate' version, and if that Supergirl solo film ever gets made, there will be another version with another costume.

9 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

It's the stunt version and the cape isn't there.  One bad thing (in my opinion) is the lack of a belt/trunks/skirt.  There needs to be something to break up all that blue, otherwise it just looks like a onesie.

The comics had the same problem when the 'fixed' Superman's costume to get rid of the wrestling trunks. It quickly became apparent that they may look silly but they also broke up the blue in a way that a little belt doesn't. I think any change that simply gets rid of his trunks or her skirt needs to do more than that. Like the 90's Superboy costume that had a blue top and red pants. Or the one that had a vertical red stripe down the middle and blue down both sides.

On 5/28/2021 at 8:36 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

SERIOUSLY! They did the same thing with The Dark Knight Returns! And you know I'm Kevin Conroy's BITCH, but if they didn't get him to play Bruce/Bats, Jensen Ackles is a good second choice.

But really, they should have gotten Conroy and Hamill.

Quoting myself because guess what arrived two days ago? WAHOO!!!! But I'm going to exert mucho will power and wait for Part II to arrive so I can watch them back to back!

On 6/23/2021 at 11:01 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Quoting myself because guess what arrived two days ago? WAHOO!!!! But I'm going to exert mucho will power and wait for Part II to arrive so I can watch them back to back!

I went ahead and watched my copy. I won't spoil how they put it together but I like it.

• Love 1
On 6/15/2021 at 8:54 PM, Trini said:

Anyway, I don't know which exec made that decision, but too bad for that guy, because now everyone is going to try and write in oral into Batman stories - mark my words.

If I were to guess, it was Pam Lifford (or at least people working off of her guidance). She's the "President of Global Brands & Experiences" that encompasses DC, WB's Harry Potter properties, etc., and she was the one who went batshit over the Batdongle in Batman: Damned.

Zack Snyder posted a pic on Twitter of Batman doing "that" to Catwoman, possibly a piece he had commissioned, with the caption "canon." He must have no bridges left to burn because WB put in a copyright claim to have it removed.

• LOL 2
On 6/21/2021 at 2:43 PM, Trini said:

These look great, but I loved the previous Shazam costume, so I'm a tiny bit sad about the redesign.

The big takeaway is that Michelle Borth is apparently no longer playing Mary Marvel Superhero Mary; Grace Fulton is playing both roles, and with that hair she looks like she stepped out of the comics!

(edited)

Comic-Con@Home 2021, a virtual event, is scheduled for July 23-25, 2021...

Disney’s Marvel Studios & Warner Bros DC Films To Skip San Diego Comic-Con@Home
By Anthony D'Alessandro    July 7, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/07/disneys-marvel-studios-warner-bros-dc-films-to-skip-san-diego-comic-conhome-1234787941/ 

EXCLUSIVE: Nothing beats trotting out your theatrical film slate with stars before a live-audience of 6,5K roaring attendees at the San Diego Convention Center’s Hall H. As such, it shouldn’t come as a shock to hear that Disney’s Marvel Studios films and MCU series won’t be putting in an appearance during the virtual edition of Comic-Con, nor will Warner Bros.’ DC films. We’re still waiting to hear if Sony’s Marvel titles, Spider-Man: No Way Home (which is technically a Disney co-production), Venom: Let There Be Carnage and Morbius will make any kind of online splash with SDCC.

For Warner Bros., it reps their third year in a row that the studio’s film division is skipping Comic-Con. The last time Warner Bros. feature studio was in San Diego  was July 2018 with Gal Gadot and director Patty Jenkins who offered up an early peek at Wonder Woman 1984. With Marvel soaking up all the lime light in 2019 with the enormous announcement of their phase 4 features and Disney+ series plans, with arguably every single top-notch cast member in tow from Eternals, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Black Widow, WandaVision and more, Warners opted to head to Brazil’s Comic-Con in December of that year to rally Wonder Woman 1984 and Birds of Prey. 
On the TV side, Warner Bros. TV’s will have DC’s Legends of Tomorrow participating at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con@Home. Also, word is the DC Publishing division will have a presence at San Diego Comic-Con@Home.
Now, Warner Bros has their DC FanDome happening again on Oct. 16 for the second-year in a row. Last year, they held a virtual presentation of their DC TV shows and films, including teasers and cast panels for Batman, Black Adam, WW1984 and Justice League: The Snyder Cut. Still TBD if Fandome will be in-person. In recent years, Warners has also launched fanboy stuff at film festivals i.e. The Joker blasted off at the 2019 Venice Film Festival and TIFF, and the studio’s Legendary sci-fi feature Dune will do the same this year.
The live edition of San Diego Comic-Con will be Nov. 26-28, the post Thanksgiving frame. It’s still early, so we’ll see if either Marvel Studios or Warner Bros. shows up then.  When reached Warner Bros. and Disney’s Marvel provided no comment.

Edited by tv echo

I would certainly hope that DC's publishing division would have a presence at SDCC! Even if the movies are skipping,  it's still the year's biggest event for actual comics. 

19 hours ago, Trini said:

With this news, I'm pretty sure the Ta-Nehisi Coates Superman script does not feature a Black Superman. DC isn't doing two Black Superman projects.

I wonder if it's the old Warner Bros. trick of competing writing teams, and unqualified suits pick and choose the parts they like best. (Seriously, read the "worst note David Goyer ever got" stories that are floating around now. from the development of Man of Steel.)