Type keyword(s) to search

The DC Extended Universe: To Thanagar and Beyond!

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

I don't really understand why they keep trying to get Justice League Dark off the ground when no one even liked Justice League Lite. Why not make a good JL movie first and then you can make a dark one? The whole point of something like JLD or Dark Avengers is the contrast, right?

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, starri said:

No, Justice League Dark is their team that fights mystical threats.

Think the Avengers, except Dr. Strange is Tony.

I understand that part, but they still exist as a contrast to the JL fighting regular old superhero threats. I don't think you should have one without first having the other done well.

No one is working on JL right now; they don't have a Batman (Pattinson's universe is separate for the known future), they may or may not have a Superman, Flash is still trying to get off the ground. Meanwhile, JJ's team wants to play with JL Dark, and I can't see WB saying "No" to them.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Great. If this makes a lot of money, a few years down the line we'll get a new Superman who wears an all-black uniform, eyeliner, and writes Goth poetry in his secret identity...

340?cb=2015081

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 1/22/2020 at 5:53 PM, MarkHB said:

340?cb=2015081

There was a documentary about Tim Burton’s failed Superman project and they said anytime the studio tried to interfere with Zach Synder’s Superman he would hold up a picture of Nicolas Cage as Superman from the Burton project to shut them up.  So apparently they believed any crap Snyder did couldn’t be worse.

• LOL 1
35 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Remember how there was some faint hope of that Flash solo movie getting its act together in the next couple of years? Well...

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/ezra-miller-throttling-woman-video-1234571800/

Honestly, I don't think this dooms the movie or even Miller's career -- certainly doesn't help, though. I can see this as another straw on the haystack of unfortunate events, but is it the last straw? I dunno.

The thing that surprises me about the Ezra incident is that I haven't heard a word of spin from his camp. I would have expected some publicist to at least give a "they were just playing around" story to THR or Variety.

It looks as if that was the fan's intent, but if and when she gives her after-the-fact account of the incident I'm going to give that a lot more weight than anything Miller's representation says.

On 4/9/2020 at 2:10 PM, Bruinsfan said:

It looks as if that was the fan's intent, but if and when she gives her after-the-fact account of the incident I'm going to give that a lot more weight than anything Miller's representation says.

In terms of figuring out what actually happened? Absolutely. I'm just surprised that the Hollywood spin machine is so silent.

WB shuffles some film release dates: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batman-moves-back-warner-bros-date-shuffle-1290919

The Batman, starring Robert Pattinson as the caped crusader, had been set to hit the big screen June 25, 2021. It will now ride into theaters Oct. 1, 2021.

The Flash is moving up one month from July 1, 2022, to to June 3, 2022, while Shazam! 2 is being delayed from April 1, 2022, to Nov. 4, 2022.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

Latest news is that if TENET moves, Wonder Woman moves to December.

Also, Twitter is going crazy, because apparently WB is going to go ahead and release the fabled Director's Cut of Zack Snyder's Justice League on HBO Max. Many people are expecting some sort of announcement during this event Wednesday...

15 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

TENET?

Christopher Nolan's new movie.

I admire the optimism of the studios moving the expected money makers to the fall and winter but, unless drive in theaters make a roaring comeback, they aren't getting my money until it's safe.

I'm also going to laugh when the Snyder cut turns out to be five more minutes of footage that adds nothing to the overall movie.

• Love 4

"Celebrate the ultimate symbol of hope"? Didn't Snyder's version have an angry, black-clad Superman being controlled by Darkseid and trying to kill everyone for a much bigger part of the movie?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I'm also going to laugh when the Snyder cut turns out to be five more minutes of footage that adds nothing to the overall movie.

Just getting in the Swanwick reveal will add by itself, but I think most people expect that it will be the full 3 1/2 hour Heaven's Gate of superhero movies.

1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

Didn't Snyder's version have an angry, black-clad Superman being controlled by Darkseid and trying to kill everyone for a much bigger part of the movie?

Black suit, supposedly yes, but AFAIK they never got to the part where Superman succumbed to the Anti-Life Equation.

23 hours ago, xaxat said:

The Snyder Cut is real?

I only know about it from Honest Trailers. Since they posted it on March 31st, I just assumed it was an April Fools joke.

No, it's real... And at the very end of the Man of Steel party just a minute ago, Zack put up a slide: Zack Snyder's Justice League, 2021, Only on HBO Max.

It's actually coming, and he said "unfortunately 2021, because we have a little bit of work to do on it." 

Screenshot_20200520-141528.thumb.png.47bcbefdaafe6dc42e4d4864ec757a9b.png

Screenshot_20200520-141543.thumb.png.e84d5daaf11385d872f937156c2830a6.png

His definition of “a little bit of work” is very different than mine. "It Will Be an Entirely New Thing": Zack Snyder's $20M-Plus 'Justice League' Cut Plans Revealed

It is currently unclear what form Snyder’s Justice League will take. Whether it will be released as an almost four-hour director’s cut or split into six "chapters" has yet to be decided, but the Snyders are now in the midst of reassembling much of their original postproduction crew to score, cut, add new and finish old visual effects, and, yes, maybe bring back many of the actors to record additional dialogue.

Also unclear is the cost of the endeavor. One source has pegged the effort in the $20 million range, although another source says that figure could be closer to $30 million. The parties involved had no comment.  

I’m sure a lot of people will be thrilled but seems like a lot of time and money spent continuing to go in the wrong direction. 

(edited)

Can't believe they're spending money on that. I doubt the number of new subscribers will cover the cost.

Edited by Trini
grammar!
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Ten to one the Snyder cut is just as mediocre as the original.

Based on what was revealed on Kevin Smith’s podcast, I think it’ll be much better. 

• Love 1

Thank God. Geeks who hated Whedon's trademark "dysfunctional family of broken people who need each other"  version have gotten their wish. A no doubt more Randian Justice League who team up because everyone else in the world are untalented weaklings who don't deserve their help! 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Trini said:

Can't believe they're spending money on that. I doubt the number of new subscribers will cover the cost.

They're launching a new service off of a summer with no movies. They can start doing post pretty soon and put together some small crews later this year for pickups like the Harry Lennix scene he teased.

Where did the portion of the fandom community who have beaten this drum for years derive such faith that Zach Snyder was in the process of executing an epic masterpiece with Justice League before it was torn from him all those years ago?  Does this same fandom contingent just absolutely love Batman v Superman?  If they do, then I guess that I can understand why they want The Snyder Cut, but I thought B v S was pretty strongly disliked.  The few movie news related channels that I follow on YouTube are going nuts for this, though.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

Where did the portion of the fandom community who have beaten this drum for years derive such faith that Zach Snyder was in the process of executing an epic masterpiece with Justice League before it was torn from him all those years ago?  Does this same fandom contingent just absolutely love Batman v Superman?  If they do, then I guess that I can understand why they want The Snyder Cut, but I thought B v S was pretty strongly disliked.  The few movie news related channels that I follow on YouTube are going nuts for this, though.

Yes, there were a lot of us who really liked Batman v Superman, and even though I said at the time that JL is, by itself, an enjoyable movie, as the tonal/thematic/storytelling continuation of the story Zack was building with MoS and BvS it fails horribly.  Plus using Snyder's daughter's death as the excuse for taking the film away from him was uniquely shitty, even by Hollywood standards, and the super-rushed way they produced the theatrical cut (the mustache debacle, the WB-enforced 2-hour runtime for a film that had to introduce 3 new heroes, etc.)

Henry Cavill said during the MoS watch party that he was looking forward to seeing the movie "without the 'without the mustache'".

4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Screw the Snyder cut, I'd rather have WW1984!!!!

If it gets pushed out again, take it up with Chris Nolan.

• Love 1

I’m just glad that this will mean the end of the obnoxious SnyderCut hashtag littering the internet. 
I wonder what WB hopes to gain from this long term. If it’s really good they look stupid and if it’s really bad they look stupid. Either way it seems destined to bring more bad press. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

I wonder what WB hopes to gain from this long term. ...

I don't know about long term, but everyone's hurting for new content at the moment. I still don't think it justifies the cost, though.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Trini said:

I don't know about long term, but everyone's hurting for new content at the moment. I still don't think it justifies the cost, though.

Yeah, I think it makes sense to put it on HBO Max. It’s the cost and time involved that seems like a bad decision for DC. 

7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Screw the Snyder cut, I'd rather have WW1984!!!!

Ditto. 

(edited)
8 hours ago, MarkHB said:

Yes, there were a lot of us who really liked Batman v Superman, and even though I said at the time that JL is, by itself, an enjoyable movie, as the tonal/thematic/storytelling continuation of the story Zack was building with MoS and BvS it fails horribly.  Plus using Snyder's daughter's death as the excuse for taking the film away from him was uniquely shitty, even by Hollywood standards, and the super-rushed way they produced the theatrical cut (the mustache debacle, the WB-enforced 2-hour runtime for a film that had to introduce 3 new heroes, etc.)

That’s fair.  I just vaguely remember what seemed to me to be a thorough evisceration of BvS by what seemed to me to be the majority at the time (things like mercilessly ripping on the “Martha” scene, or Lex Luthor’s Jolly Rancher scene), and I didn’t track the source of such huge support for Snyder to see that type of vision through.  I personally thought Man of Steel was okay (some things I loved; some I absolutely hated, so it evened out), and I strongly disliked most of BvS, except for some of Batfleck and also the Lois and Clark relationship, so I will at least look forward to seeing the Clois proposal scene that was in the trailer for Justice League but didn’t make it into the final film. 

People seem surprised that WB would shell out “$30 million” for this (I bet it will be $50 million easily), but some of these streaming services are paying tens of millions per marquee show, so the budget doesn’t surprise me too much.

Edited by Peace 47
(edited)

HBOMax probably changed the economics of releasing the Snyder cut. A big streaming service like that spends far more than $20-30 million total for a season of a signature show. They'll chop it up into episodes and have their own little Mandalorian (or so they hope). The boost in subscriptions will more than pay for the cost of polishing it up.

Joss Whedon and Zac Snyder are very different directors likely to make pretty different movies out of similar material. I don't know if the Snyder version will be better but I'm curious to see it. Take away the arguments about toxic fandom and Snyder's merits as a filmmaker, and this development seems not so different than any other fan campaign that saved a TV series from cancellation, or the Donner cut. Nobody was saying that set a "dangerous precedent"...

Edited by Dejana
1 hour ago, Dejana said:

Take away the arguments about toxic fandom and Snyder's merits as a filmmaker, and this development seems not so different than any other fan campaign that saved a TV series from cancellation, or the Donner cut. Nobody was saying that set a "dangerous precedent"...

You really can’t take away the toxic fandom argument from the dangerous precedent discussion. That’s the entire basis of people saying it’s sets a dangerous precedent.

Personally I think it’s great for the majority of fans but also am wary seeing certain aspects of the fandom empowered by this. I’m just tired of seeing every high profile superhero movie becoming a battle ground. 

(edited)
17 hours ago, Dani said:

You really can’t take away the toxic fandom argument from the dangerous precedent discussion. That’s the entire basis of people saying it’s sets a dangerous precedent.

Personally I think it’s great for the majority of fans but also am wary seeing certain aspects of the fandom empowered by this. I’m just tired of seeing every high profile superhero movie becoming a battle ground. 

Not to "both sides" this thing, but it feels like a certain amount of resistance to the concept of the Snyder cut was not so much about fandom antics, but people's feelings about Snyder as a filmmaker. Like, if there'd been a massive #ReleaseTheLordandMillerCut movement about Solo, there would be some fans who went over the line, but I'm not sure you'd see the same level of media contempt about the idea, because they regard Lord/Miller more highly. There'd be skepticism Disney would ever release it, but not the same annoyance and disbelief that such a thing could have supporters.

It feels like there's a level of disdain that it's apparently acceptable to express about Snyder fans as people, and not just about the ones who were harassing/bullying (they deserve to be called out), but a more general, "They really like this guy's movies? What is their damage?" attitude. It's not surprising when people who feel unfairly maligned don't respond in the most gracious way. Again, not excusing online trolling/doxxing/etc. 

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

I'm now seeing #releasetheayerscut for Suicide Squad so this will go well for the future of film making. 

Yep. Unfortunately AT&T added fuel to that one. WB/AT&T continually baffles me with their handling of DC.

I’m also seeing #releaseTheJJCut. 

16 hours ago, Dani said:

Yep. Unfortunately AT&T added fuel to that one. WB/AT&T continually baffles me with their handling of DC.

I’m also seeing #releaseTheJJCut. 

I'm seeing reports that the Ayer cut of SS is within the realm of possibility, but what JJ cut are they referring to? 

2 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I'm seeing reports that the Ayer cut of SS is within the realm of possibility, but what JJ cut are they referring to? 

An alternate version of The Rise of Skywalker. There is no evidence that it exists.