Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

Moving this from the "Commercials that annoy..." thread for response:

Member callie lee 29

1 hour ago 

I've had one colonoscopy in my life.  Ib was admitted to the er for what I went in thinking just a wierd tummy bug. Admitted for 3 days, iv drip, no food or liquids.  The last morning they did the colonoscopy (and i had to drink thst gallon jug of liquid),  they pushed so much drugs into my iv I don't recall any of it.  I barely remember the day. I did however get to have 2 (!) pilfered breakfast trays when I got back to my room thanks to the nurses and ordered. Both were cold,  but it was the best food ever!!

The key is have then knock the shit out of you

But, isn't that what the prep does?  LOL

• Love 11
7 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I will be facing the same situation  soon. I still am not sure what I will do, I may ask one of my employees  if her mother will do it and pay her. I am going to ask the Dr. what they do about people  who have no family . 

We're screwed and they don't care, don't even offer an alternative suggestion. That's why I did Cologuard. When I get to the point where I have to have a real colonoscopy, I'm going to figure out how to lie my way into driving myself. Of course many medical safety precautions are necessary, but some are exaggerated to protect the medical professionals from legal repercussions and I suspect this might be one of those. There has to be a point where it's safe to drive but it's probably different for each person and rather than work out what that is on a case to case basis they just ban everyone from driving. I've driven more than once with a sprained ankle and as soon after knee surgery as I could determine I could slam on the brake pedal if necessary without passing out from the pain. I'm sure after a few hours it would be safe to drive. Otherwise I'll never be able to get a colonoscopy if I need one. Fuck that.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, CoderLady said:

There has to be a point where it's safe to drive but it's probably different for each person and rather than work out what that is on a case to case basis they just ban everyone from driving.

And/or they want you out of there sooner than it would be safe for you to drive.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

How about calling a taxi or Uber?

Nope. I asked, but that's not acceptable either. It has to be a known person, someone liability can be pinned on if something goes wrong. Ugh. 

A motel room might work if you can get there from the hospital. 

Edited by CoderLady
11 minutes ago, CoderLady said:

Nope. I asked, but that's not acceptable either. It has to be a known person, someone liability can be pinned on if something goes wrong. Ugh. 

A motel room might work if you can get there from the hospital. 

Wow, that sucks. 

CoderLady said:

When I get to the point where I have to have a real colonoscopy, I'm going to figure out how to lie my way into driving myself. Of course many medical safety precautions are necessary, but some are exaggerated to protect the medical professionals from legal repercussions and I suspect this might be one of those. There has to be a point where it's safe to drive but it's probably different for each person and rather than work out what that is on a case to case basis they just ban everyone from driving.

As I recall, I was pretty loopy for several hours after the procedure.  In fact, after I was driven home, I camped on the couch and slept for  a few more hours.  I've had other procedures done where I knew I'd be able to drive afterwards even though they wouldn't allow it...this wasn't one of those times.  Definitely wouldn't recommend trying.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I wonder how expensive/practical it is to create a mobile colonoscopy bus...I see a definite need for it.

Or even like those visiting nurses but rather they drive you, wait for procedure, and then take the patient home. The insurance/bonding on that would be astronomical, though. Having said that, I wonder if on Care.com or one of those sites if you could hire someone for the day like that.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

How about calling a taxi or Uber?

They won't allow it.  They want somebody who will be there with you and wait for you to make sure you're okay to leave.

At least that's what they told me when I had to drive and so couldn't take the knock out drugs.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

They won't allow it.  They want somebody who will be there with you and wait for you to make sure you're okay to leave.

At least that's what they told me when I had to drive and so couldn't take the knock out drugs.

Well, I think this is discriminatory.  They should provide a bed for the night for folks who live far away.

• Love 2

Once or twice I've been allowed to have one work colleague bring me (and then leave), another show up before I'm done, sit with me afterward, and drive me home. That's half the time commitment for each. I haven't tried this in the last few years though.

One point of having someone there with you afterward is to remember (maybe take notes on) whatever you're told post-procedure, as the immediate after-effect of the drugs can make you forget what you were told 10 seconds ago. Actually, I've often found that I understand & remember better than my driver does; either we have very skilled anesthesiologists around here, or I'm a model subject for the drugs. (The latter may be true in fact -- they always seem to work exactly the way they're supposed to for me, to the second.)

I see care.com provides transportation services - I'm sure you could hire someone from there to take you, wait, and bring you home.. I thought of them this summer when my husband and I both injured our knees to the point we needed the other to get around for a day or 2. We have no family nearby, so if it had happened at the same time, we would have needed to hire in-home care.

• Love 4

When I had a colonoscopy, it was at a Catholic hospital. When I woke up from the procedure, there was a nun in my room, she told me something, I didn't hear or understand, was still groggy, I replied, "huh?" She told me to fart. When Sister says "fart", you fart. Now when I was taken out to the waiting room where my sister was and the doctor came to talk to us, I can't remember anything other than everything was fine. But on the way home, sister was driving my car, I didn't think she had it in drive, so I reached over and moved the gear shift...and put the car in neutral in the middle of driving down the street. So, it's probably best to have someone drive you and you leave the driving to them.

• Love 7

Speaking of uncomfortable procedures, I’m getting ready to go in for my second mammogram of my life today.  The only reason I’m doing it is because the Gyn threatened to stop prescribing the medicine that makes the hot flashes from my pre-menopause stop.  Jerk.

Thankfully, though, since the damn Estradiol patches are $70 bucks with my insurance, he prescribed birth control instead which is free and they work just fine.

I don’t GET the way insurance works in this stupid country.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 6

When I first brought Bosco home, he was about 3 months old. I was on the phone, telling my SIL about him when he went over to the cardboard scratcher & started honing his claws. When I told my SIL, she shouted, "HE'S A GENIUS!" 

He has never forgotten this.

The first thing Stella (the tortie) did was throw him to the ground & start washing his head. She hasn't stopped. She grooms him ALL the time.   When they go outside in the late (summer) afternoon, I leave the door ajar so if there's any trouble, they can dash right in. They know when they hear the FJ music playing, it's time to come in...if they don't come in first, pretty soon, I'll be out there calling for them. We have coyotes around here, so they're not allowed out come dusk.

• Love 2

To follow up on @Ubiquitous's thoughts about James Corden from the "Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage" thread.

I liked his show when it first started and Carpool Karaoke was still new.  Now there's a show based on the Karaoke thing on Apple TV and there's a show on TBS called Drop the Mic based on the rapping thing he does with guests as a bit. There are a lot of his bits that still really suck though. His US show has been on almost 3 years and already has 2 spin offs. The reviews and ratings for Drop the Mic seem to be dropping though from what I can find online. 

I'll usually watch Seth Meyer's opening bits and flip back to James if there's people on I want to see as guests. It seems like James has bought into his own hype and it's showing more and more through his behavior and attitude on TLLS. 

The Foo Fighters (who I LOVE) said the recording process for their carpool karaoke was awkward and weird (paraphrasing). After being in the car for something like three hours, they went to Guitar Center, where they played the instruments set up in the store (James got on the drums...*eyeroll*), and they were still only halfway done with filming. Dave Grohl (lead singer of the Foo Fighters) said he'd rather have been singing someone else's songs. Obviously, that's not what people are tuning in to see, but I can understand how weird it must be to film sitting in a vehicle singing one's own songs with James Corden.

And does James always know his guests' music, or does he have to learn their entire music catalog before they come on the show? I've seen several different musicians on there. I have so many questions about it all.

• Love 3
On 10/28/2016 at 3:06 PM, mmecorday said:

I visited Springfield, Mo., several years ago and I could not get over the number of dead armadillos along the sides of the highways! I had never even seen a living armadillo in the flesh, so this was very upsetting.

This forum should be retitled "Everything from butter to road kill."

On a road trip down to Florida I saw so many dead armadillos by the side of the road I renamed them "killadillos".

• Love 5

Regarding the discussion of sick time and how employees are discouraged from taking it: My boss is the world's worst about this. It's not that he expects the staff to report to work when feeling ill, no -- HE refuses to take a sick day when he is not feeling well.  I've witnessed him come through the door looking green and on the verge of throwing up and still put in a full day's work. And, of course, he's one of those people who wants to get right up in your face when he's talking to you. He also never washes his hands so I spray everything he touches with disinfectant spray.

• Love 4

Call in sick?  Wasn't going to happen where I used to work.  My Owner/CEO boss was a tyrant about that and about any other reason for not being there.  In fact, if I told him (for example) that Mr. SoandSO wasn't going to be in because his mother died, boss' comeback was "Well that explains why his mother isn't here, but what about him?"  Sadly, he wasn't joking.

I've worked in a number of styles of companies over the years - from family owned to large very corporate settings - and find that this attitude seems more prevalent in the family-run businesses.  It's "all about the loyalty", but the loyalty runs in only one direction, from bottom to top.  The "family" makes its own rules, corporate structure be damned!

• Love 8

I worked at a fast food restaurant for almost ten years(the one with a creepy royal mascot), and at one point, they changed policy from requiring a doctor's note after missing three days to ONE day.  I had no health insurance at the time, so when I developed a sinus infection, not only did I lose a day's pay, but I had to pay fifty-some dollars out of my own pocket.(Fortunately, I was given samples of the antibiotic.)

And then they wondered why shortly afterward, they got dinged for having a "visibly ill employee" during an inspection...

• Love 9
20 minutes ago, smittykins said:

they changed policy from requiring a doctor's note after missing three days to ONE day. 

That's the real corker, too.  When you feel so crappy that you just can't pull yourself out of bed, shower and dress for work, you're expected to get up and drag yourself to a doctor's office or clinic so that you can get a note.  That's when you just want to take an aspirin, pull the sheets over your head, slumber the day away and sweat out the toxins.  Not only are you infecting everyone in the doctor's waiting room, but you may be a hazard on the road too - not a good scene for anyone. 

Absolutely the best part of retirement?  You don't have to call one damn person with your sick-in excuse.   Just snuggle in!

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Tunia said:

That's the real corker, too.  When you feel so crappy that you just can't pull yourself out of bed, shower and dress for work, you're expected to get up and drag yourself to a doctor's office or clinic so that you can get a note.  That's when you just want to take an aspirin, pull the sheets over your head, slumber the day away and sweat out the toxins.  Not only are you infecting everyone in the doctor's waiting room, but you may be a hazard on the road too - not a good scene for anyone. 

Absolutely the best part of retirement?  You don't have to call one damn person with your sick-in excuse.   Just snuggle in!

Damn right! I can't imagine dragging my sick ass to the doctor after waking up with a really bad cold or the flu. Good god, are you hiring adults? Then treat them like adults. A note from the doctor? Heavens above are they six years old? No they fucking well are not. 

• Love 8

With the Lee Jeans convo, I’m 5’1” and 150 lbs (because those last 20 just will. not. come. off).  Do Lee Jeans still look like mom pants?

I love Old Navy because they do boot cut and flare in short sizes but the rise is sometimes weird. And someone said the rise in Lee is good for shorties.  

I think Kohl’s still sells Lee and I have some Kohl’s cash so I might check them out.

On a semi-related note, I do hate how Kohl’s and Old Navy do their super cash.  Like, I'm in your store NOW.  Please don’t give me 20 bucks to come back some OTHER time.  90% of the time I don’t even use it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Do Lee Jeans still look like mom pants?

I'm 5'1" as well, so I don't know if being short had anything to do with it, but I went to Kohl's a couple days ago to try on the Lee jeans and they looked like mom pants on me.  I'll have to try other brands. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

On a semi-related note, I do hate how Kohl’s and Old Navy do their super cash.  Like, I'm in your store NOW.  Please don’t give me 20 bucks to come back some OTHER time.  90% of the time I don’t even use it.

At one time, until Kohl's figured out what was happening, you could beat this.  The initial program didn't have a future date on the Kohl's Cash - it could be used right after you earned it.  So, I'd do half of my shopping, check out, get the Kohl's cash, put my packages in the car and go back in the store and do the other half of my shopping, using the KCash just earned.  That would then earn more KCash, but in a lesser amount because it was earned just on the actual cash outlay.  Sure was disappointed the first time I tried it after the change and found I had to come back a week later in order to use it!  T'was nice while it lasted.

• Love 3

In my misspent youth I sold furniture in Honolulu. We used to call that "the be back bus" it was considered shady even back then.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

Do Lee Jeans still look like mom pants?

In my entire life, I've owned only one pair of Lee jeans, precisely because of the mom pants thing; in general, I can tell by looking at Lee jeans I'll hate them, and the few times I think it might work, it doesn't.  But there was this one pair that looked like a good option when I held them up, and I was stunned to see Lee on the label.  They turned out to be among my best jeans.  So, I'd say odds are against you, but you may luckily stumble into a gem like I did.  (I'm 5'9", so we're shaped differently, and the jeans are so old that even if I grabbed them to look up the info to share as general information, it probably wouldn't be relevant anymore.)

• Love 3