Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

We found a fountain at PetSmart by Whisker City that Mookie seems to really like.  He hasn't yet figured out that I don't need to change the water several times a day anymore though and sits on the counter looking plaintively me as if I am being neglectful.

He doesn't drink out of the fountain part, he drinks at the bubbly part by the filter knob.  He's weird. 

• Love 5
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:37 PM, peacheslatour said:

ari333, have there been other incidents? I've been worrying he would hurt a kid or an animal.

IDK, I've seen him walking around alone. At least he is no longer dragging the toddler sibling by the shoulder.  He did that outside in front of all neighbors who were looking. Imagine what went on behind closed doors.

As far as I can tell or have seen, it seems he's stopped trying to sneak up on the little animals, but it could be that I missed it. He is back in the home now. IDK the details  of where they took him or why. But he's back.

On ‎01‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:35 PM, Bastet said:

Having a diabetic cat for whom a high-protein/ultra low-carb diet is inadequate to maintain proper blood glucose levels and is thus insulin dependent is a lifestyle adjustment, yes.  You're tied to that 12-hour schedule, you need a friend or pet sitter who also learns how to test the blood and administer the insulin before you can go away, etc.  But, good grief, people do it all the time!  You get into a routine and happily carry on with life.  What a horrible thing for a vet to present a diabetes diagnosis as something warranting euthanasia! 

I don't know if I could do that, although I did subcutaneous fluids for 3 months, but euthanasia wouldn't be the first alternative either.  To suggest that right off the bat - man.

• Love 2

I spent much of the past two days in meetings with some consultants who are working on a project with us.  About an hour into the first meeting, I realized one of the women from their group, sitting across from me, was wearing a Seymour Butts necklace.  I think that may have been the first one I've seen in the wild.

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I spent much of the past two days in meetings with some consultants who are working on a project with us.  About an hour into the first meeting, I realized one of the women from their group, sitting across from me, was wearing a Seymour Butts necklace.  I think that may have been the first one I've seen in the wild.

Oh, my!  That is my first reading of that, but I knew EXACTLY what you meant!  LOL!

• Love 3

A question occurred to me as I was feeding Mookie his breakfast of beef-flavored Fancy Feast - what do vegans/vegetarians feed their pets?

Are there vegan-flavored pet foods out there? And could they possibly have enough nutrients in them to keep a pet healthy?

I know I'm going to sound like a jerk, but I think placing a human value on a carnivore who doesn't have any say in the matter is a terrible idea.  

If people do that.  I don't know if vegans keep meat from their pets.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

A question occurred to me as I was feeding Mookie his breakfast of beef-flavored Fancy Feast - what do vegans/vegetarians feed their pets?

Are there vegan-flavored pet foods out there? And could they possibly have enough nutrients in them to keep a pet healthy?

I know I'm going to sound like a jerk, but I think placing a human value on a carnivore who doesn't have any say in the matter is a terrible idea.  

Cats are obligate carnivores - there are nutrients they need that only exist in meat. They can be synthesized, but it's really tough to get the balance right.

Dogs are omnivores, like people. There's still a nutrient balance problem, though.

• Love 6

I'm a vegetarian and I feed my cat meaty meat meat. Yes, cats are obligate carnivores and to not feed them meat is very dangerous and inhumane. I don't particularly enjoy handling meat (Bilgisticat eats raw food, but it's freeze-dried raw food, so it's not as bad for me to look at and smell as raw...raw), but I am a good cat mom. Yes, cat mom.

• Love 10

Bringing a conversation from as seen on tv. Due to circumstances conspiring against me for the past few years, I've had to move into my sister's house. And due to so many reasons concerning her mental health, her addiction problems and her children's choices in mentally ill spouses, etc., etc., etc., this house is a dump. When I win the lottery, I'm going to bulldoze it. But in the meantime, I'm trying to fix a few things, it's slow, because the work that needs done is major and budget is very small. Right after I moved in, I had the backyard dug up and the sewer line repaired, but this winter with cold weather, new problems developed and I had to have drains cleaned. Think I've got that one. Next up is the bathtub fixtures, the hot water handle broke last weekend. Got the new handle kit today, I'm replacing everything because it's been rigged up and half assed for so long, it's got to go and started over. Also got a new shower head, but silly me, I didn't order the hose and mounting for the shower head, they'll be here by Wednesday. Then I can get it all installed, not sure how that's going to be done yet, but I'll figure it out. May hire the plumber who cleaned the drains. 

Next up is replacing exterior doors and door frames. My schizophrenic nephew in law, would stand outside the house, hoping to catch my niece cheating and when he'd hear her laugh with the children, he'd break in the doors. It seems that he thought her cheating partner was hiding in the attic until he left the house. Gheesh! Next up is the floors in the kitchen and bathroom, it's not expensive for the materials, but will have to hire that done. Since the wall between the bathroom and kitchen needs to be replaced also and a new vanity, sink and faucets are needed in the bathroom, a new cabinet, sink and faucet in the kitchen, I'll probably be buying the supplies and cabinets, etc one month at a time, then after it is all acquired, hire someone to do all the work at one time. 

Next up is the electric to the furnace. There is not a working furnace in this house because a line needs to be installed in the attic. I have so far refused to do that, but it looks like I'll be here longer than I want and I refuse to live like this. I moved this down the list because winter is pretty much over for now. When I moved in, I had a small cube space heater. I only used it on those very cold days when the furnace just couldn't do enough or when I wanted to get dressed and the house just wasn't warm enough. It was fine for that, but those little cubes are meant to take care of the heat all the time. In November I did research and I bought a medium sized oil filled space heater for my bedroom. It works wonderfully when the temp stays above freezing, it's ok when the temp drops for a few hours in the wee hours. But if it's below freezing for several days, that heater just doesn't do it. So I bought a ceramic tower heater. I never use both, that's entirely too much of a hazard, but on the chilly days I prefer the oil filled heater, it keeps the room warm without blasting the heat. But when it gets very, very cold, I shut it off and get out the ceramic tower. This is why I moved this conversation here. I don't have any experience with the plug into the socket heaters, I'm rather leery of them, but if you need to heat a small room and the temps are below freezing for days and days, I do recommend the oil filled ones. The size of the space will determine which size heater to get. This room is probably about 12'x14'.

After all those things are done, I'm going to do some work outside, the house needs painting, I'm thinking stripes! There's a neighbor that is a major, ticky tacky bytch, so I think I'm going to paint an ombre, think the paint color strips you get at the paint store, those long ones with 5 or 6 colors, so I'll start the dark on the bottom and the lightest at the top and a majorly contrasting color on the trim and front door! I already checked city ordinances, nothing against it, there's no home owner assn in the neighborhood, so I'm fine. I'm also thinking about a mural on the converted garage. When I win the lottery and have the house bulldozed, the replacement house will be a sober living house for women and it will be named for my great-nephew who was killed in foster care. And it might be painted in stripes too. 

• Love 8

I have one more cat question.  

Do any of your cats sit and look in the water bowl, and then suddenly start pawing at it and make a mess?  Does he like drinking moving water or something?  I mean, we got the fountain to try to alleviate the water on the floor but so far, he still sticks his paw in there. And then gets irritated when he steps in the puddle, like it's someone else's fault.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Do any of your cats sit and look in the water bowl, and then suddenly start pawing at it and make a mess?  Does he like drinking moving water or something?  I mean, we got the fountain to try to alleviate the water on the floor but so far, he still sticks his paw in there. And then gets irritated when he steps in the puddle, like it's someone else's fault.

Some just like to play with it, some like to get their paw wet and lick the water off of there rather than sticking their head in the bowl (so they don't get their whiskers wet), some seem to be establishing where the water level is (again, so they don't get wet where they don't want to be wet), and it's even theorized that some have learned they prefer the taste of water that has been aerated. 

They make bowls that are weighted at the bottom, to reduce the risk of spillage by a pawing cat, whatever her/his reasons.

• Love 3

Ooh, cool. Go with purple!

Actually, I think it will be a dark cobalt blue on the bottom stripe and going to a pale, sky blue at the top. Trim will be in a dark orange, not brown, orange, and not sure about the doors, they might be purple or turquoise. Need to replace wall where the garage door used to be, there's a crappy door there, but there's a door from the laundry room too. Thinking of closing off the outside door, have just the interior door. Then painting a mural on the new wall. I'm not a painter, I have great color sense, even if it doesn't sound like it to some people, because I like lots of bright color and hate neutrals. Anyway, the mural would represent "Flowers are Red" by Harry Chapin. I think I have enough ability to paint a kid's drawing with flowers, rainbow and sun. Could maybe get some stencils made for the flowers. 

• Love 1

At the next town over from mine, a guy was having a fight with city hall over "historic" renovation. What he wanted to do was completely in line with the architecture of the house, just not part of the "original" design and they were fighting him.  Here, too, there not being any ordinance about painting the house, he painted it purple. THEN he went to Party City & bought some cheap plastic tablecloths in chartreuse, cut out giant circles and pasted them onto the house, so he now had a polka-dotted house.  City Fathers clenched their teeth, but wouldn't budge. When dude's neighbors started pasting polka dots on *their* homes, the city finally gave in.

All this to say...try polka dots!

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

At the next town over from mine, a guy was having a fight with city hall over "historic" renovation. What he wanted to do was completely in line with the architecture of the house, just not part of the "original" design and they were fighting him.  Here, too, there not being any ordinance about painting the house, he painted it purple. THEN he went to Party City & bought some cheap plastic tablecloths in chartreuse, cut out giant circles and pasted them onto the house, so he now had a polka-dotted house.  City Fathers clenched their teeth, but wouldn't budge. When dude's neighbors started pasting polka dots on *their* homes, the city finally gave in.

All this to say...try polka dots!

That is so awesome! A neighborhood of polka dot houses. I would love to see that!! 

• Love 4

Carried over from the dental monitor discussion:

I don't see the dentist for more than a few minutes during my check-ups unless there's a problem; I see the dental hygienist for a cleaning and then the dentist comes in for a look.  If there's a cavity, usually I have to get an appointment to have it filled, but once he did the filling that day because a) it was small and in an easy location, and b) they'd had a cancellation that day so he had the time to do it. 

The dentist does charge per visit, but fortunately my insurance covers it.

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎02‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:33 AM, mojoween said:

I know one vegetarian but she doesn't have any pets.  I did see a "ask the vet" segment on the local news where a caller asked about how to get her cat to eat a vegetarian diet; the vet said that cats are carnivores, need the taurine from meat, and that trying to make her cat vegetarian was cruel to the cat.  That was several years ago, so maybe there's a veggie-friendly food from which the cats can get sufficient taurine, but why bother?  Cats are carnivores.

On ‎02‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:00 PM, mojoween said:

Totally.  In fact, I had one who would drag the dish around until the water spilled, and then she would lick the water off the floor.  I tried various types of dishes but never found one she couldn't eventually spill, including one heavy ass dish which was meant to be a dog bowl.  My brother's cat does something similar.  And he likes to stick his paw into running water and then lick it.  Cats be crazy.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Carried over from the dental monitor discussion:

I don't see the dentist for more than a few minutes during my check-ups unless there's a problem; I see the dental hygienist for a cleaning and then the dentist comes in for a look.  If there's a cavity, usually I have to get an appointment to have it filled, but once he did the filling that day because a) it was small and in an easy location, and b) they'd had a cancellation that day so he had the time to do it. 

The dentist does charge per visit, but fortunately my insurance covers it.

That's how it goes with my dentist, too.  Although I can't remember if they charge for a visit.  My assumption is that that's common practice, based on having more than one friend say something along the lines of "I was supposed to have XX done, but I haven't made the appointment yet."  I can't imagine how a dentist would have time to do a filling right then and there.

• Love 2

I worked "front desk" for 4 years. You KNOW if there's a waiting room pile-up, the waiters take it out on the front desk people, even if we tell them about the delay and why. By the time they get to the doctor, their anger is spent & Doc has no idea how pissed they were. The worst offender I can remember turned out to be the Doc's brother in law.  After he left & we told Doc what an asshole he'd been, Doc said, "It wouldn't be SO horrible, if he'd just pay his damn bill."  Not only did BIL expect special treatment, he wanted it for free!  He must've realized what a horse's patoot he'd been, because a few days later we got flowers. Still didn't pay his bill. I'm so glad I work with pets now. I'd rather hear the moaning/whining of dogs coming out of anesthesia than the sound of that damn suction pump coming from the hygienists.

Some dogs are hysterical with the noises they make as they're coming around. We had one last week that kept singing the same three notes over and over - Woof-woof-WOOF - almost sounded like the NBC chimes in reverse, with the low note in the middle.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

My family has always made tuna salad (for sandwiches) with chopped hard boiled eggs. Also chopped sweet pickles, celery, spring onions, mayo, salt and pepper. My mom used to add chopped apples and walnuts. You wouldn't believe how delicious that was. I made it that way one time when my husband suddenly invited some of his employees over for lunch on a Saturday (!). They said it was the best tuna salad sandwich they'd ever had and they weren't just sucking up to the boss's wife. Their wives called me to ask me how I made it because their husbands came home raving about it. Different strokes for different folks. 

1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

My stomach is turning. Tuna and hard-boiled eggs! :: shuddering ::

1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

Ooh, yeah: sweet pickles!

1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

How is egg on tuna any worse than cheese on tuna?

Just copied part of the discussion.  I've never had eggs in my tuna salad.  I'm not going to say it's gross because I don't know.  I am wondering if it's a regional thing, maybe?  I grew up in Detroit, MI,  have lived in Philadealphia, PA and now live in Saint Paul, MN.  I've only seen tuna salad made similar to the ways described above (the ones w/o eggs).   Other variations I've seen use mustard.  My family made it pretty simple - mayo, sweet relish, green onion, salt and pepper.  As an adult I usually now remove the onion and add celery because I love it and like the crunch.  I have experimented with adding with fine chopped radish (another veg I love) and liked it.  If I'm making a sandwich, I usually add lettuce and tomato (on the sandwich, not in the salad); or open face with a slice of swiss melted on top.

• Love 1

I live near Annapolis, MD. We have a family owned sub and pizza shop near our house. They make their tuna salad with chopped hard boiled eggs - I love it! They also make their own sub rolls and pizza dough - both are wonderful.

• Love 2

I hate egg yolk, so if anyone makes me a tuna sandwich, I cross my fingers they're not someone who uses egg.  Mustard would be a horrifying discovery, as I hate it even more (and that would be a much more pervasive flavor than just a few pieces of yolk per sandwich), but I've never come across that.

I usually use mayo, celery, onions, and sweet pickles, but it depends on what I have on hand.  I've used cucumber, radish, other things that aren't coming to mind right now.  I usually make it as a tuna melt.

• Love 2

The recipes with the extra ingredients (everything that isn't celery and mayo/Miracle Whip) sound like chicken salad made with tuna instead of chicken.

• Love 3

That makes me think of Roseanne: Tuna salad, egg salad, chicken salad, turkey salad, shrimp salad. What difference does it make? It's all just different words for mayonnaise.

• Love 7
(edited)

since the topic of eggs in tuna salad is my fault, I'll just say how my mother and grandmother made it, I did for a long time also, but left out the eggs, drained canned tuna, a little onion, chopped pickles, usually dill but what ever was in the house, a little mayo, actually Miracle Whip because that's what we always used. I ate so much of that growing up and then making my own lunches as a young adult - pre microwave days, I almost never eat tuna any more. For chicken salad, I cook my own chicken, shred it, add both dill and sweet pickles, a little onion, a little celery, if I have them on hand or plan ahead, some chopped apple and walnuts and Miracle Whip. I don't make ham salad, hate it. And I still hate eggs in any way, shape or form so I never make them and only use them to bake cakes.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 2

First time I ever saw tuna & egg as a combo was in a can of Friskies. Topsy devoured it. Spooky didn't care too much for it. Angus did/ate whatever Spooky did/ate. Those two loved each other. Topsy hated them both.

I'm not sure I would like egg in my tuna salad, but whenever I make either, I put it one of those "cake" style ice cream cones. Y'know, the ones that taste like Communion wafers?  I've developed a sensitivity to yeast, of all things, and the cone takes the place of bread as best as it can.

• Love 1

I'd never heard of putting egg in tuna salad, and although I don't want it, it doesn't sound appalling to me.  I just put pickle, onion, and peperoncini (and mayo and tuna) in mine.

@Prevailing Wind, I don't know what ice cream cones you're talking about, but would a tortilla work for you, to make sort of a tuna wrap?

31 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

First time I ever saw tuna & egg as a combo was in a can of Friskies.

Exactly. Tuna and eggs are disgusting and smell like canned farts. Cats love smelling farts.

8 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Oh, by the way, sweet pickles are a crime against humanity.

Lies! My grandmother makes amazing grapeleaf pickles.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, friendperidot said:

For chicken salad, I cook my own chicken, shred it, add both dill and sweet pickles, a little onion, a little celery, if I have them on hand or plan ahead, some chopped apple and walnuts and Miracle Whip.

I can't stand Miracle Whip, so it's mayo for me, but chicken salad sandwiches are even more of a "whatever I have in the fridge at the time" thing than my tuna salad sandwiches.  I do, however, grow tarragon for the exclusive purpose of adding it to chicken salad for sandwiches; I really don't like it with anything else, but I love it in those sandwiches.   And whereas I'd never use "good" tuna (to channel Ina Garten) to make a sandwich and instead use the canned stuff, the flip side is true with chicken; I only ever make chicken salad with leftover chicken breast from when I've roasted a chicken.  No pickles with the chicken, but definitely onion and celery if I have them (something else for crunch in place of celery is okay, just like with tuna), and I love walnuts (or any of several other nuts) in it, too, if I have them. 

• Love 2
(edited)

see, it's all a matter of taste. I like chicken sandwiches on either white or whole wheat bread, a little mayo or Miracle Whip, and sliced sweet pickles. I don't do it often, because I don't eat many sandwiches after an early lifetime of them, like I said earlier lunch pre microwave days! That was a sandwich I discovered at Reeve's on F Street, downtown Washington DC. If you worked anywhere near the Federal Triangle in the 70s, you knew Reeves! They had great pie too.

Edited because I find it amusing that a casual remark about tuna fish and eggs has caused such a huge discussion! And also I want a chicken sandwich but there's no bread in the house and it's 11PM, so there won't be any sandwiches of any sort tonight. Might have to get bread and sweet pickles tomorrow. And look at some tomatoes, a bacon and tomato sandwich is sounding good right now too. I don't often bother with the lettuce for another weird thing! Mostly because I'm the only one eating it and unless I plan on a couple of salads, it's just not worth buying lettuce. Since I live alone, I usually buy bagged salads, it's just easier to deal with.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 2
(edited)
29 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

see, it's all a matter of taste.

Well, of course -- that's the nature of eating!

29 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

And look at some tomatoes, a bacon and tomato sandwich is sounding good right now too. I don't often bother with the lettuce for another weird thing!

I don't like tomatoes when they're not in season locally (there are several fruits/vegatables I can eat year-round, but not tomatoes; even here in southern CA where the growing season is long, there are months when I find the output bordering on inedible), but I eat BLTs like they're going out of style every summer.  Seeing this post, though, I realize lettuce is the least-important ingredient for me -- if I had the toasted bread (wheat, please; I don't like most white bread other than ciabatta), mayo (or mashed avocado with a little bit of mayo to try to substitute some of the bad fat with healthy fat), fresh tomatoes, and bacon, I think I'd be just as happy without the lettuce (I've subbed spinach several times, but come to think of it, I'd probably be fine with skipping the green altogether).  And now you have me quite bummed it's not tomato season!

Edited because I find it amusing that a casual remark about tuna fish and eggs has caused such a huge discussion!

I wonder, as posted earlier, how much of it is regional.  Because I can't specifically say I've ever had anyone local serve a tuna sandwich with eggs, but I also can't specifically say that only happened when visiting So-and-So in Such-and-Such; it's unusual to me, but not rare enough that I don't cautiously check my sandwich looking for egg (if it was just egg white, I'm sure I'd be fine -- a complementary taste, plus extra protein -- it's just the yolk I seek to avoid).  I once had a friend in Vegas serve me a tuna melt with capers in it; I kind of hate those little suckers, but it was okay with all the other ingredients. 

And the first time I ever had a tuna sandwich as a melt, with cheese, was in San Francisco.  (Growing up, my mom always asked "toasted or plain?" but there was no cheese involved if I opted for toasted.)  It was on sourdough, which I like but generally as toast, not as a sandwich bread, and it was delicious.  That got me started on the tuna melt thing.  Despite the fact that 98% of the rest of the time (I do like frutti del mar pizza, too), I want nothing to do with a seafood/cheese combination.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Reeve's!  I went to DC with some friends early January 1997 to see Max Cleland get sworn in as my Senator. Every morning we had breakfast at Reeve's. I still have a postcard from there stashed away somewhere. I was very disappointed when I went back a few years ago and discovered it had closed.

The grossest thing I've ever had with hard-boiled eggs in it was bread pudding at some "family restaurant" on the Delaware/Maryland coast.  I love bread pudding. This stuff was SO awful, I abandoned it. Who in their right mind puts hard boiled eggs in bread pudding???!?!?!?  At least, with the tuna salad, I can see it as an extension of egg salad, but HBEs have NOTHING in common with bread pudding.

• Love 2

I guess a lot of our taste preferences come from the way "we've always" eaten it. The idea of mustard in tuna salad turns my stomach but other people apparently like it that way. Different strokes for different folks. Just eat it the way we like it and all is well. 

• Love 1

Yes.  Even though my family sometimes made tuna salad with mustard I'd never eat it that way.  I don't like mustard, especially that much of it.  But I think they did it to be less fattening, plus my dad really likes the taste of mustard.

The best chicken salad sandwich I ever had was from Mr. Spots in Bowling Green, OH. I've spent years experimenting, trying to figure out what made it so fantastic and I still don't know.

It's kind of funny how varied the "right" way to make things can be. I never put anything in my tuna salad except mayo and pepper growing up, then I started adding dill. No veggies, because I'm lazy (perhaps my mom was too, since she never did celery or onion or anything). I have heard of people adding hard boiled eggs, but I won't do it; I love the eggs on their own, though. Egg salad is just eggs, mayo and mustard (preferably a brown or dijon). My husband insists on putting mustard in the tuna salad (and refuses to use dill), which means I have to separate out the tuna itself when I'm making it for sandwiches. I don't know how I learned to love the tuna melt; probably just because I think just about any sandwich can be improved by adding melty cheese. I had a work friend from Texas over at my house one day, and I made tuna melts for lunch. She was utterly unfamiliar with the concept of a tuna melt, but it became one of her favorite things. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, janie jones said:

I'd never heard of putting egg in tuna salad, and although I don't want it, it doesn't sound appalling to me.  I just put pickle, onion, and peperoncini (and mayo and tuna) in mine.

I find that the eggs tend to make it a little bland, so I'll usually throw in some olives along with.

• Love 1