Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I'm not even watching anymore.  I mean I could, but it's just blah for me.  For three reasons

• A: It's not at home
  • 2: The AL exclusive record drained me all weekend one, and...
  • D: I don't benefit financially or gain time from it

If he get it, that's great.  I'll see the lukewarm reaction & highlights and then get ready for the MLB Postseason.  Though I am ready for it today (may have started today in most other seasons)

5 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Interesting if there were to be a Subway Series.

DO NOT TEMPT FATE, DAMMIT.

Seriously. Though, if you get a higher seed than your opponent, you should get home-field. Obviously, regular season records should the first thing taken into consideration.

• Love 1

So.  Whatchayall watchin’?  😉

Interesting that of all the men (six) who have hit 60 home runs, one is in the Hall of Fame.  So far.

Josh Donaldson seems like he is a. a giant shithead and b. a great teammate.  Weird dichotomy, that.

Aww I just remembered that Michael Kay mentioned earlier that Suzyn Waldman is off today for Yom Kippur.  I hope she’s watching at home!

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Carey said:

Now do they bench him now or see if he can or cannot get to 63 plus?

Arraez: .315

Judge:  .311

The Triple Crown is still in play. I'm betting Judge would want the opportunity to see if he can go on a hitting tear in these final two games to see if he can catch Arraez. No pressure to hit a HR now, just to get some hits.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, mojoween said:

So.  Whatchayall watchin’?  😉

All In with Chris Hayes.  Our game was rained out.  Did I miss something?  😄

24 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Aww I just remembered that Michael Kay mentioned earlier that Suzyn Waldman is off today for Yom Kippur.  I hope she’s watching at home!

If she takes off for the holidays, she should be in shul now.  Speaking from experience though, she probably knew as soon as it happened.  It's so much easier now that one doesn't have to run out to the car to listen to the radio. 

• Useful 1
Just now, Xeliou66 said:

Congratulations to Aaron Judge for hitting #62! He’s the single season HR champion if you ask me! 

Babe Ruth > Aaron Judge due to a higher % toward HRPG

18 minutes ago, Carey said:

He’s coming out of the game now (bottom of the second).

Edited by mojoween
Just now, mojoween said:
18 minutes ago, Carey said:

He’s coming out of the game now (bottom third).

I think he definitely was active earlier this afternoon, but who knows what'll happen tomorrow.  If they want to survive, advance, and topple maybe Houston, a long layoff isn't a great idea

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

He’s coming out of the game now (bottom of the second).

I wonder if after the strikeout, they did the calculations if Judge were to have gotten 2 more hits tonight, 4 hits tomorrow and Arraez were to go say, 0 for 6 from here out if Judge would even have been able to catch him for the Batting Title. He may have eliminated himself with the strikeout. 

I missed it. I did see the Mets start their nightcap with three consecutive home runs. Number two wound up becoming the chew toy of a Golden Retriever.

ETA: *sigh* Looks like Buck isn't going to need deGrom tomorrow. One thing . . . they play best-of-three, and all three games would be played in Citi Field? Wow. I mean, I get how that would cut down on travel (especially if they wind up facing San Diego), but that's a bit weird for me. Also, would Buck want to use deGrom and Max in the same series, or rest them before the DS? That's assuming they get there, of course.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

When I thought of a then chance of a future wild card playoff series, I think I always thought/figured that it would make sense to have the home team host there for all three games.  That's fair enough; this time 15 years ago, the team with the second best record among non-division winners didn't even make it, and the 6th place team is new to Major League Baseball.

I still think they should throw a double header within the WC series, but instead of the first two games, make it Games 2-3, since Game 3 may not be needed

Cameron Maybin and Max Kellerman were talking this morning about what happens if the Yankees are complete morons and don’t resign Judge and pondered what if Judge went to Boston and I felt faint.

• LOL 2
On 10/4/2022 at 9:43 AM, Notabug said:

Cleveland has a lot going for it.  Aside from the things you've mentioned, we've got the second largest theater district in the US where you can see live performances year 'round, an excellent metropolitan park system including some beautiful parks up on the lake, a National Park in the Cuyahoga Valley and the Cleveland Orchestra is one of the very best in the world.  People can laugh at us all they want, we have the last laugh.

My husband and I have asked our daughter to sneakily spread our ashes in the Rocky River Reservation, as it’s our favorite place in our hometown.  Even tho we don’t get there anymore since we live in NC, and I need a walker to get around.

But you’re right.  The pundits discounted us in 2016 (damn you Trevor), and already many are talking how the Indi...Guardians have little firepower.  Did they not see Steve Kwan last week?  The Indians had little firepower in 2016, but they sure hit a lot of home runs then.  

Besides, small ball is more fun to watch.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, roamyn said:

My husband and I have asked our daughter to sneakily spread our ashes in the Rocky River Reservation, as it’s our favorite place in our hometown.  Even tho we don’t get there anymore since we live in NC, and I need a walker to get around.

But you’re right.  The pundits discounted us in 2016 (damn you Trevor), and already many are talking how the Indi...Guardians have little firepower.  Did they not see Steve Kwan last week?  The Indians had little firepower in 2016, but they sure hit a lot of home runs then.  

Besides, small ball is more fun to watch.

I live maybe a mile from RR reservation and happily walk my dogs there as often as I can.  The leaves are turning now and it is just gorgeous.

You're also correct, watching teams who don't have a bunch of power play the game with intelligence and skill as they find a way to score runs without the long ball is really entertaining and I love it.  Steve Kwan is terrfic.

• Love 3

I’m cranky today.

No baseball until Friday.

Because everyone was so hyped up about 62 Judge was pressing for two weeks and the Triple Crown was lost.

I miss game 163.  Even if it wasn’t a thing this year.

Interleague play can bite my balls.  Since it’s been in play for 25 years that apparently means the American League home run record is meaningless.  Bah to that, I say!

According to my Facebook memories, in the 2017 playoffs I was rooting for Houston.

Carlos Beltran hasn’t been on YES in a really long time and I hope it’s not because mean people chased him away because I really liked him.

The lockout ruined the timing of everything this season.  Do you know this week in 1947 the first World Series game was shown on television?  And here we are, starting the *first round* of the playoffs on October 7.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Carlos Beltran hasn’t been on YES in a really long time and I hope it’s not because mean people chased him away because I really liked him.

What did you like about him, Mojoween?  The times I saw him he rarely had anything of interest to say.  For such a highly regarded baseball mind I was surprised and wondered if the extra second or two it took to translate to English was the issue.

Also, I’ve been wondering since Stanton hits so much better when he’s playing the field if there has been any discussion of getting him back in the field sometime during the playoffs.  How healthy is he reputed to be?

Edited by Harry24

I’m thinking Stanton will have to play the field when the rosters get cut down.  I haven’t heard if he’s having any lingering health issues.

I thought Carlos did give good information when he was on the mic.  I recall that he gave a lot of insight on playing in the different parks.  He’s one of the cheaters so I should still be mad at him, but I’m not.

• Love 1

Congratulations to Twins' Luis Arraez for winning the batting title yesterday!

During his interview, he was asked about going to the DR with Nelson Cruz. And I thought, why are they going to the Diary Room? (Big Brother fans know what I mean.) But they meant the Dominican Republic, of course.

• LOL 3
16 hours ago, Colleenna said:

On this  day in 1960, the WS between the Yankees and Pirates began at Forbes Field in da Burgh. 

Ah yes.  Game 7: Pittsburgh won 10 to 9 to take the series.  Yankees tied the game in the top of the 9th. Ralph Terry, normally a stellar starter for NY, came on in relief, and gave up the game winning homer in the bottom of the 9th...to Bill Mazeroski.  Yogi, normally a catcher, played left field and watched the ball fly over the left field wall.  The days of black & white TV.

• Love 5

^Every word of that story made me sad.

SportsCenter All Night signed off this morning “baseball at noon today” and I didn’t check the schedule so I have no idea who is playing, but I am so there.

• Like 1

Noon is TB and Cleveland....doesn't it bother you waiting for Yankees to play? It would drive me nuts to wait lol.

Does anyone know if there's anywhere that lists who the broadcast teams are for the games?

ETA never mind I found them for espn at least.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 3

No point in doing a prediction for the entire postseason, even though there apparently isn't any reseeding.  Anyway, my picks:

San Diego, St. Louis, Toronto, and Cleveland all advance.  Everyone sweeps except St. Louis

I've been living in a construction site for a month (I think, I've really lost all sense of time amidst the drywall dust) due to a reno. And TODAY the contractor is getting rid of all the reno garbage.

It's a GD baseball miracle folks. 

• Applause 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I never make serious predictions, as it's impossible for me to separate my heart from my head. As a Cardinals fan, the expectation is that we'll win the World Series every year. Add in some special retirement-year devil magic, and...

My expectation is that STL will beat the Yankees in six, after sending off the Braves and the Mets. The Yankees will advance past Cleveland and the Mariners.

And I will be wrong about 50% of this. LOL

• Love 1

I haven’t been following the changes that have been going on in baseball, especially in playoff formats etc, but one thing I’m happy to see is that all the games (this round at least) are on one channel.  I hated having to search around to find the damn game, already!

This slightly outweighs not having Ron Darling as an analyst anywhere.  I hope Met fans are consoled with having David Cone.  Poor Phillies-Cards fans getting stuck with Michael Kay and A-Rod.  Blech.

• Love 2

I was streaming on the Verizon app at my desk.  I closed the app to go to lunch at 1:30 at 1-0 Rays (my cafeteria is my living room).  I talk to my hubs for a second, then turn on the TV to see the ump telling us Tampa is challenging and the scorebug says 2-1 Cleveland.  Game moves fast, folks.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Did anyone happen to watch the studio show after the Cleveland game?  I would love to know the name of the handsome fellow who was sitting next to Jeff Passan.

Also Doug Glanville can appear on my teevee at any time.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Harry24 said:

Poor Phillies-Cards fans getting stuck with Michael Kay and A-Rod.  Blech.

I waited 11 years (to the day) for the Phillies to be back in the playoffs I'll take what I can get.. I would have liked Doug Granville because he's I former Phillies and I love him.

I'm going to say Guardians Phillies(but I'm biased) Mariners and Padres  

Edited by shoregirl