Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

The At Bat notification amused me - "Forget jinxes, we'll tell you the news..."

I bet the 3B who made the error to break up the perfect game felt a little better when Hill is the one who messed everything else up.  And I mean, they can afford one loss.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, basiltherat said:

The f-ing Dodgers score runs IN THEIR DAMN SLEEP, but they can't score one measly run for their pitcher.  I would be hella pissed at his own team if I were Rich Hill.

I don't think an error not committed by the pitcher should count against a perfect game. That said, F The Dodgers and I love that they lost in such a gloriously stupid way. Like why send Hill out for the 10th?  Theoretically they could have had a combined No-No but NOPE. and LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. 

• Love 1

I'm not normally one to throw out the "cursed" label for teams. . . but the Mets this season?

Michael Conforto just suffered what looks like a serious injury taking a swing.

ETA. Dislocated shoulder.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

I'm not normally one to throw out the "cursed" label for teams. . . but the Mets this season?

Michael Conforto just suffered what looks like a serious injury taking a swing.

ETA. Dislocated shoulder.

No, "cursed" fits. Best guess? Bartolo Colon was their good luck charm, and his teammates would've been felled by falling debris had he not been pitching for them last year.

16 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I wonder if Andrew and Austin Romine had any words this afternoon?  

I saw them talking (while Tony Pena was physically barring Austin from engaging with the jawing still going on on-field), and it looked kinda...tense. Maybe it was just checking in and Austin hadn't cooled down yet, but, maybe it was "Dude? Duuude..." "Dude, duuude."

At least there were actual punches thrown, giving us our money's worth. :)

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I wonder if Andrew and Austin Romine had any words this afternoon?   I would like to think that James McCann getting hit in the head with a 98-mph fastball was an accident, but....

I watched Austin's post-game interview. He was very measured in his responses. The question that seemed to fluster him most was the one regarding if Andrew had come over to talk sense into him. His response was along the lines of "I'm a grown man, I don't need him to talk sense into me." 

• Love 3

Michael Kay said on Twitter that Austin gave such a good response that he would make a good manager one day.

I'm going to defend David Robertson hard and Dellin not as much because I don't care how much you want to plunk someone, I cannot believe he would throw at a batter's head on purpose.

And really, the umps are to blame for all of it because warnings should have been given when Fulmer hit Sanchez.

• Love 2

I'm not sure I believe Dellin meant to hit him in the HEAD on purpose. But it's a good example of why all of this is ridiculous. My favorite player is currently on the concussion DL for the third time in his MLB career because he accidentally got hit in the head with a pitch. The idea that it's okay to aim for someone and take the risk of missing and hitting them in the head, which if Dellin had intent at all is likely what happened here, is pretty absurd. How about you not aim 95mph projectiles at people? Dellin was clearly upset and I think it's because he really did not mean to hit McCann in the head, and with Dellin's control issues, it's possible he didn't mean to hit him at all but the situation was escalated and Dellin's ejection was justified. 

On the other hand, I can't believe that McCann not only stayed in the game to take his  base after that but stayed in the game to CATCH. Maybe it's because my other favorite team is Concussion Central but there's no way he doesn't have a concussion of some kind. I think it should be standard protocol that if a pitch or throw hits you in the head, you get removed from the game. 

• Love 1

The funniest thing for me with these melees and mill-abouts are the sprinters from the bullpen. They usually get there after the heat of the moment has passed.

Bullpen runs up

'Hey guys.".../stops to breathe after sprinting.

"Everything okay.../bends over, puts up hand...

"Let me catch my breath. ....

."Okay, so y'all need something. No? Okay. I'm just gonna rest here a minute"

• Love 3

OMG the bullpen guys are the best.

The third melee yesterday was so funny and they even highlighted it on YES because the guys were just kind of sauntering out of the dugout like "really, again? Ok fine let's go."

Romine AND Sanchez getting suspended would be the absolute WORST.  Can they call Jorge back from retirement for a few games?  Maybe Girardi and Flash can split time too.

• Love 2

Question for anyone who knows the answer:  When a player is suspended for a game or games, does his roster space get filled by another player from the minors, or is his team punished for his infraction by one less guy in the dugout?

7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Romine AND Sanchez getting suspended would be the absolute WORST.  Can they call Jorge back from retirement for a few games?  Maybe Girardi and Flash can split time too.

Don't forget the best of them: Tony Pena.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

Question for anyone who knows the answer:  When a player is suspended for a game or games, does his roster space get filled by another player from the minors, or is his team punished for his infraction by one less guy in the dugout?

The team has to play short. If in fact both Romine and Sanchez get suspended, the Yankees will be pretty far up the creek. The one thing I can think of to avoid a total mess is to have one of the players accept his suspension while the other appeals. It takes FOREVER for some appeals to be heard and decided upon. Hunter Strickland was technically suspended in May for a similar situation (he was the Cabrera) and it was over a month before he served his suspension due to MLB shuffling their feet regarding his appeal. So technically it's possible, though no guy wants to accepts a suspension on principle. My hope is that Romine doesn't get suspended at all. He really did seem to just be reacting to a guy physically going at him, but I'm sure any words exchanged will be taken into account as well.

They really only have to juggle the suspensions for a week. Then September and call-ups can happen. It'll be okay.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I did not know Tony Pena was a catcher.

Oh, he had the most beautiful crouch. His legs were very flexible -- one was always extended straight. 

• Love 4

I thought you wrote "crotch" instead of "crouch", and I can't stop laughing. 

Seeing Cleveland trounce Boston last night was wonderful. Too bad the Orioles are probably going to get beaten that badly this weekend by Boston. Sigh

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, twoods said:

I thought you wrote "crotch" instead of "crouch", and I can't stop laughing.

I thought the same thing at first!

I loved watching Tony Pena play.  The guy had a powerful arm and could throw a strike to second from that almost fully seated position he used.

• Love 3

Am I to understand that the Yankees Player's Weekend unis are not pinstripes?  That takes a little bit of the luster off, for me, because I was looking forward to names on pinstripes.

Ok so I am also a big ol' hypocrite because the At Bat app just sent out the lineup alert and it's all of their nicknames and I LOVE that.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

Okay, suspensions/fines announced:

• Miggy: 7 games
  • Sanchez: 4 games
  • Alex Wilson: 4 games
  • Austin: 2 games
  • Ausmus: 1 game 

All these guys have fines to pay too. Also fined: Girardi, Rob Thompson, Brett Gardner, Tommy Kahnle, Jose Iglesias. Garrett Cooper and Clint Frazier were fined for on-fielding while on the DL.

All effective tonight, unless appealed. (h/t for all of this to Mike Oz's twitter via Deadspin.)

A couple of pages ago I wrote that Cespedes' bobblehead should have him grabbing his hamstring and pulling up lame.

I was just joking.

Tonight Cespedes grabbed his hamstring and pulled up lame.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, xaxat said:

A couple of pages ago I wrote that Cespedes' bobblehead should have him grabbing his hamstring and pulling up lame.

I was just joking.

To channel Xander Crews in Frisky Dingo: "God. Dammit." Actually, I'm pretty much detached at this point . . . and upon saying that, I would bet on a Met to suffer a detached retina. The team has to make moves in the offseason, and that includes bringing every available holy man to cleanse Citi Field.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Lantern7 said:

The team has to make moves in the offseason, and that includes bringing every available holy man to cleanse Citi Field.

To bad Terry probably won't be around. That eliminates  the human sacrifice option.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I was just joking.

So do you also use your powers for good or only for evil?

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, mojoween said:

So do you also use your powers for good or only for evil?

Well, I bought a lottery ticket this week that (obviously) didn't hit.

So I guess it's only for evil.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

I was just joking.

I honestly think he hurts himself because he doesn't want to play the Nationals. (just kidding....but the timing)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

At this point, the merciful thing would have been to just shoot Cespedes right there on the field, put him out of our misery...

I don't know. David Wright would have been buried under third base years ago if that was the Mets' policy.

Flipped to the Yankees' game. Those unis? No. Not for me. If traditionalists bitch about the storied Bronx Bombers looking like a slo-pitch softball team, I would not blame them.

• Love 1

Steinbrenner, you are not the Mets.  You tie Chapman into the MRI machine if you have to because something has got to be wrong.

HOWEVER.  It wouldn't have been a damned issue if the Yankees hadn't loaded the damn bases three damn times with nothing to show for it.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

The team has to make moves in the offseason, and that includes bringing every available holy man to cleanse Citi Field

Do you think Lady Gaga can do that during her concerts on Monday and Tuesday? 

• Love 1

FYI, MLB.TV is offering premium yearly at $9.99 for a week, and that price is good through Oct 31. I called them, they cancelled the monthly I was on, billed me $9.99 for the rest of this season. Then on or around March 1, 2018, it will be auto renewal for $112.99. If you don't want that you can cancel before that renewal date. Saved me $40.00 for the rest of the season.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

Interesting.  Apparently Brett Gardner didn't want anything on his Player's Weekend at all but they made him so that's why he went with Gardner.

I mean, I can see why MLB is doing the weekend, but they should not FORCE people to participate.

How the hell did Betances not get suspended for hitting James McCann?  Even if you give him the benefit of the doubt about hitting him in the head, only an idiot would think that hitting him was an accident.   At least give him a game or two, to make it look like MLB doesn't approve.   

• Love 2
22 hours ago, mojoween said:

I mean, I can see why MLB is doing the weekend, but they should not FORCE people to participate.

And here I was coming to post that I thought players who went with their real last names on their jersey's were lame.

I'm trying to think of what I'd want on the back of my jersey.  I don't have any nicknames and my last name isn't fun, though I could get a lot of sophomoric humor if I still had my ex-husband's last name.  Which thank goodness I don't.

• Love 1

ESPN showed a picture of the Mets jerseys taken for this weekend's promotion. Four of them belonged to players that wound up getting traded, and nine belong to guys on the DL. The 2017 Mets, everybody!!!

• Love 6

Phillies rookie Rhys Hoskins hit his 11th homerun today in only his 18th game, becoming the fastest player in MLB history to reach that mark. This is even more impressive considering he didnt hit his first HR until his 5th game and dint even have a hit at all until his 4th game. He also contributed to a triple play this afternoon...he's fun to watch.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

The Texas Rangers organization can go fuck itself for refusing to trade home and home series' with the Astros, forcing both teams to start their series tonight in Tampa.

What was the Rangers' reasoning?