Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Well, I'm all set for tomorrow. Got my new favorite beer to drink the afternoon away -- the afternoon, because the damn game is on at 3.

rawImage.png

Good thing you didn't have to start the season watching them play the A's or Mariners in Japan.

Mets opening in Washington. Does anyone know who's throwing the first pitch?

According to Sports Illustrated, the Mets will finish above .500, and deGrom will repeat as Cy Young winner. Dare to dream. Right now, I'd have to settle for the Mets' ceiling being a little higher than other teams with supporters on this thread.

Prepare to feel old:

The Toronto Blue Jays have a pitcher on its Opening Day roster who was born February 15, 2000. And unless Bartolo Colon finds a team that will sign him, there are no current players who started in the 20th century.

• Love 5

Pretty aggressive move by the person choosing  the lineup music for the Yankee opener. They picked the Imperial March/Darth Vader theme for the 115 loss  $73 million payroll Orioles while using the Rebel theme for the 100 win  $200 million dollar payroll Yankees. The Bombers as the Resistance!

I didn't have any problems with MLB starting the season in Japan. . . until I learned that this season is the 150th anniversary of the Reds as the first professional baseball team. C'mon MLB, the NFL figured out anniversaries matter, why couldn't you?  (Although I shouldn't be surprised given that this is the league that didn't realize that inter-league play in 2003 gave them a centennial  rematch between the first World Series opponents, the Pirates and the Red Sox.)

• Love 2

Before I forget to ask: I know that the tradition for players hitting their first home run is to clear the dugout and pretend to ignore him. Question: what happens when his first homer is a walk-off?

59 minutes ago, smittykins said:

The Toronto Blue Jays have a pitcher on its Opening Day roster who was born February 15, 2000. And unless Bartolo Colon finds a team that will sign him, there are no current players who started in the 20th century.

I think Big Sexy is in the Mexican League right now. Also, I found that R.A. Dickey retired.

45 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Pretty aggressive move by the person choosing  the lineup music for the Yankee opener. They picked the Imperial March/Darth Vader theme for the 115 loss  $73 million payroll Orioles while using the Rebel theme for the 100 win  $200 million dollar payroll Yankees. The Bombers as the Resistance!

The Yankees have gone nine seasons without a title. Of course they're the Rebel Alliance. As for the music . . . I would have called the Harlem Globetrotters and ask what they play when the Washington Generals are introduced.

• Love 2

Through 6 innings, Jacob deGrom and Max Scherzer have 10 strike outs each.  That's the first time in National League history that two opening day starters have double digit strike outs in a game.  It has only been done once, in the AL in 1970 when the Orioles’ Dave McNally and the Indians’ Sam McDowell achieved it.  deGrom was pulled after 6, Scherzer is still in the game after the 7th, but had no Ks in the 7th.  Seth Lugo relieved deGrom in the 7th and promptly struck out the side.

ETA: Scherzer was pulled in the 8th with one on and two out - both strike outs, for a total of 12.  That's a total of 25 strike outs in the 8th.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

This is totally anecdotal but I feel like the Yankees overuse Star Wars music in general in the past few years.

• Love 2

They have to!  They are the Evil Empire!

When I watched Mo’s awesome ceremonial first pitch this untrained eye thought he could definitely still get guys out.

YES showed a pic of six new managers and helloooo Rocco Baldelli.  I’m thinking about transferring allegiance to the Twins.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Found out the Mets won. Headline: "deGROM ACES OPENING DAY" Underneath: "Teammates: 'We'll Try To Get More Runs, But No Promises'"

I would also accept "Consider This Your Signing Bonus"

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

I know everyone here loathes my Dodgers, but it was an absolutely gorgeous, perfect Opening Day, and I would have given a limb or two to actually be in attendance at Blue Heaven on Earth, as my team went yard eight times! We set a Major League record for Opening Day, and it was so much fun to watch those balls fly! I did feel bad for Zach Greinke by the time he gave up the fourth homer in 3.2 innings, and I thought it was crappy of the fans to boo him, especially so when he exited the game. But that's Dodger fans for you––long memories and completely unforgiving. I didn't jeer, since I still like Zach.

Welcome back, Baseball! 

• Love 4

I wish I could have been at Miller Park.  I've never been to opening day.  For many years, I was too poor to afford a ticket and now I'm too busy!  But it's the best sign of spring, sitting in my office, radio on, Uecker calling the game.  If only I could figure out how to grill some brats in my office on the 9th floor, it would have been a perfect afternoon.

Who had Chacin hitting a HR in their opening day bracket?    

• Love 3

Twins' starting pitcher also had 10 strikeouts.. It's only the 4th time in Twins history they've had that many strikeouts on opening day and the last time was 1970.  And that's about how many wins we've had on opening day, too. We usually lose the first game of the season so it's nice to have a win. It was a nice day, too. Seems strange to have outdoor baseball in March in Minnesota.

• Love 1

What's with the crazy "Philly boos Harper" story they're trying to sell.

I was at an opening day cookout and none of us heard it.

I had about a half dozen people at work actually go and none of them heard it.

Typically when Philly boos everyone in North America can hear it.

What's going on?

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, bosawks said:

What's with the crazy "Philly boos Harper" story they're trying to sell.

I was at an opening day cookout and none of us heard it.

I had about a half dozen people at work actually go and none of them heard it.

Typically when Philly boos everyone in North America can hear it.

What's going on?

The only boos I heard where when he walked and they turned to cheers quickly after. Its a easy (lazy) narrative to sell they talked about before he even had his press conferenence. My roommate's probably thinks I'm nuts . I was jumping off the couch yelling at my tv after Hoskins grand slam. 

• Love 2

How long did it take for the Yankees fans to start booing Giancarlo Stanton? We can use that as a measuring stick with Bryce.

Still looking for answers to my "First Homer Is Walk-Off" question.

Edited by Lantern7

It is a shame that the Giants don't give Bumgarner any run support.  With a good offensive team he would probably win 15-20 games.  I think it is going on 3 years now that he has gotten no run support in his starts.

So I've seen a couple of movie trailers the last couple of months. In Avengers: Endgame you see a glimpse of a post apocalyptic Citifield, home of the Mets.

And in the Godzilla: King of the Monsters a post apocalyptic Fenway gets destroyed.

If our World Series matchup is Mets/Red Sox, I am instantly becoming a prepper and heading for the hills.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

The Mets are working on a perfect season.  At 3-0, they only need to win another 159 straight...

😁

Only one team still 3-0
Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 3

What a maroon!  I was avoiding media Sunday afternoon so as to not be spoiled on NASCAR race results, and a friend posted about the Mets being undefeated.  He must have posted it before Sunday's game...

11 hours ago, attica said:

I lived in MD for 2 years, and just seeing 'hon' typed out instantly triggered me something fierce. 👀

Sorry - won't happen again.  It's only something I use in reference to the team doing well, so I'm sure opportunities will be few and far between. 

8 hours ago, mojoween said:

I feel attacked.

I only meant it in the Best Possible Way...

• Love 5
On 3/31/2019 at 9:02 PM, Moose135 said:

The Mets are working on a perfect season.  At 3-0, they only need to win another 159 straight...

😁

It's a moot point, but it's not truly perfect until a 173-0 mark has been achieved!

As an East Coaster, I don’t even bother with the 10 pm-start games anymore.  I figure I can watch the encore the next day.

For me I'd get spoiled more often than not before hand but that's okay.  It's not worth it especially when you consider a game could last until 5:00 AM EST or whatever.  I could do without early games too, but it's tradition in terms of Opening Day and I personally can deal with AM sports anytime

I think the DC Mayor's tweet of Harper dressed as Benedict Arnold was funny.

Who cares that the Lerner's "contract" included a 100 million in deferred money until he was 60 and that's why he left, facts should never stand in the way of an entertaining sports story!

I want crazy mayoral tweets and threats to ban ticket sales to the opposing clubs fans.

I want grudges and I want fun!

Scherzer to plunk him on his butt then Eflin hitting the thigh of Robles and the corresponding milling of bullpens generously described as a fight.

No buzzing of heads please (that's not fun).

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, bosawks said:

I think the DC Mayor's tweet of Harper dressed as Benedict Arnold was funny.

Who cares that the Lerner's "contract" included a 100 million in deferred money until he was 60 and that's why he left, facts should never stand in the way of an entertaining sports story!

I want crazy mayoral tweets and threats to ban ticket sales to the opposing clubs fans.

I want grudges and I want fun!

Scherzer to plunk him on his butt then Eflin hitting the thigh of Robles and the corresponding milling of bullpens generously described as a fight.

No buzzing of heads please (that's not fun).

I think we have had enough of close to the head shots with Rhys Hoskins and Atlanta this weekend so I agree.  

How about Schrezer plunk him and Hoskins or Realmuto hit a HR ..that sounds fun to me 😉

Also I know Bryce is obiviously getting most the attention but Andrew Mccutchen was always a guy I wish was playing for my team and I am so happy he is in a Phillies uniform.  Also him rounding third playing rock paper scissors with the third base coach makes me giggle.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, bosawks said:

I didn't know they offered him a Bonilla!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Pillar to SF. This is the first Blue Jays trade that has really got to me. I can't link it, but the guy looks broken up. I'm glad SF is closer to where he's from anyway, so that will be better for him.

Aw, sorry. The Blue Jays will enjoy having Alen Hanson though - he is speedy and energetic. Hoping Pillar will do great things for our outfield because we desperately need it. Having a backup shortstop would be nice too. Still skeptical of Farhan Zaidi's rebuilding process so far. 

• Love 1

I went to yesterday's Astros @ Rangers game. I had never actually been to Globe Life Field in all the years it's been around (it's always so hot there), so I took the opportunity of early season Astros games there and finally went to one. It's the last chance because the new park opens next year.

I caught a foul ball that bounced off the roof. It was a Ranger foul ball, so I gave it to a kid that was in the next section over. Later, his uncle came over to say thanks because the kid's dad was actually down at the Houston MD Anderson Cancer center for treatment and getting a Joey Gallo foul ball made his day.

• Love 15
5 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Hoping Pillar will do great things for our outfield because we desperately need it.

I hope it works out. He is good in the outfield, but I imagine it will take him a while to get used to the park, I think it's much bigger than Rogers. I'm sure he won't miss bouncing off the back wall of Rogers Centre. My favourite Pillar moment was when he stole second, third, and home in a game with the Yankees- (sorry Yanks fans!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbS92K6uolU

Yeah, AT&, I mean, Oracle Park's proportions are such that if Bryce Harper had signed with the Giants, his HRs at Citizens Bank would have just been triples here, and then we'd just get a lot of disgruntled hair flipping from him. So, glad he didn't sign with us. Now that big baby is expecting a baby of his own. Weird. Annnyway...

4 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

@shoregirl---Are you watching this?!  I know we're only 4 games in, but damn!  This could be a magical season.  I take back everything I said about Harper dragging out his negotiations.

I'm following Twitter and rhe at bat while I'm at work . i dont think it would be possible for him to have a better start in Philly.  Its a long season but it looks like if nothing else its going to be a hell of a lot of fun this summer. 

• Love 1

A few weeks ago, MLB announced a number of changes for this season, as well as a few for next year.  Here are some things they are thinking about as well.  After a year of arm-twisting negotiations by Commissioner Rob Manfred, the independent Atlantic League (home to my Long Island Ducks) agreed to test a number of rule changes to see if MLB might introduce them in the future:

• Home plate umpire assisted in calling balls and strikes by a TrackMan radar tracking system.

• No mound visits permitted by players or coaches other than for pitching changes or medical issues.

• Pitchers must face a minimum of three batters, or reach the end of an inning before they exit the game, unless the pitcher becomes injured. (already announced for 2020)

• Increase the size of 1st, 2nd and 3rd base from 15 inches square to 18 inches square.

• Require two infielders to be on each side of second base when a pitch is released - there will be a chalk line drawn from behind second base to the outfield grass to help police this.

• Time between innings and pitching changes reduced from 2:05 to 1:45.

• Distance from pitching rubber to home plate extended 24 inches, in the second half of the season only; with no change to mound height or shape.

That's right, for the second half of the 2019 season, Atlantic League pitchers will stand on the rubber 62' 6" away from the plate, the first time this has been changed since the 60' 6" distance was established in 1893.  I used to refer to Bud Selig as "Clueless Bud" but this guy is more like "Evil Rob".  I don't know what he's doing to the game.

14 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

No mound visits permitted by players or coaches other than for pitching changes or medical issues.

Why do they want to deprive us of moments like this?

15 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Distance from pitching rubber to home plate extended 24 inches, in the second half of the season only; with no change to mound height or shape.

That just screams increased injury chance.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Why do they want to deprive us of moments like this?

That just screams increased injury chance.

1. Always a classic.

2. How does chance of injury increase?

Also, according to ESPN at this moment, the Rays are on top of the AL East at 5-1. Orioles trail them at 4-1. Just figured I should state that for retrospective reading.

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

2. How does chance of injury increase?

Have you ever walked up a flight of stairs where one step's rise was slightly different than the rest? You'll trip, nearly everyone will trip, every time. Similar principle. Players would get used to it eventually but changing this midseason will screw with their mechanics.

• Love 5