Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, bosawks said:

RIP to longtime front office maven Dave Montgomery, he loved the Phillies beyond words.

He really did. He was a Philly kid who started in group and season ticket sales and worked his way up to Chairman. The way people talked about him is a testament to how much he meant to everyone in the Phillies and baseball in general. Seeing Larry Bows and Mickey Morandini in tears made me cry . 

Cody Ashe only played a short time for the Phillies and David Montgomery went to see him while he was in AAA for another team.

The Phillies VP said that if losing Harry Kalas was losing the Phillies voice losing David Montgomery was losing part of the Phillies heart

• Love 3

Rain events in a ballpark are common, but I’ve never seen it rain in a ballpark that has a roof. #leakyminutemaid In the ballpark’s defense, it was some pretty epic monsoon windy heavy rain. 

Meanwhile, Josh Reddick made a bitching game-saving home run robbery. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Rain events in a ballpark are common, but I’ve never seen it rain in a ballpark that has a roof. #leakyminutemaid In the ballpark’s defense, it was some pretty epic monsoon windy heavy rain. 

They had a rain out at the Astrodome in 1976.  They had 10-15 inches of rain, and the area around the ball park flooded.  Parts of the Astrodome itself got water inside, but it never reached the field.  Batting practice had started when the waters rose, and players, other staff and workers, as well as some fans were trapped in the ball park.  They set up tables out near second base, and served everyone there food that was prepared for the luxury suites.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Moose135 said:

They had a rain out at the Astrodome in 1976.  They had 10-15 inches of rain, and the area around the ball park flooded.  Parts of the Astrodome itself got water inside, but it never reached the field.  Batting practice had started when the waters rose, and players, other staff and workers, as well as some fans were trapped in the ball park.  They set up tables out near second base, and served everyone there food that was prepared for the luxury suites.

Yeah, I know about that, but I meant how the rain was actually getting into the ballpark. Everybody from center field to the right field line, including the Astros bullpen guys, were getting rained on. People were putting on their ponchos and sitting under their umbrellas. The bullpen guys were huddled up along the back wall trying to stay dry.

• Love 1

I am probably missing something obvious, but is there a way to listen to MLB games on my iPhone for free?  I just want to listen to the Tigers game while I mow the lawn.  Why must they make things so difficult?

15 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

I am probably missing something obvious, but is there a way to listen to MLB games on my iPhone for free?  I just want to listen to the Tigers game while I mow the lawn.  Why must they make things so difficult?

You can use the MLB At Bat app if you have a paid subscription. Barring that, I would suggest going old school and getting an AM/FM radio. There's a radio broadcast if you're local.

43 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

I think I took an old pocket radio to Goodwill not too long ago.😪

I don’t have an At Bat subscription.  Feeling cheap.  And poor.

FWIW  MLB At Bat app has the audio only subscription for $2.99 a month or $19.99 per year.

• Love 1

It's pouring.  The game allegedly starts at 1.  It's going to rain all day.  Have they called the game yet??  No, of course not.  Like last Sunday when we left the house at 12:40, got there a bit after 1, they took our money for parking, we went inside, strolled around the concourse looking for beer, finally bought beer and 15 seconds later, they called the game.  Sigh.....

I'm not bitter.  Really.  I just don't want to leave the house. 

(and sorry for the run-on sentence)

A high school softball pitcher threw a perfect game with 21 strikeouts and I can only imagine what the poor infielders and outfielders did all day.  Also softball games are only seven innings?  What’s up with that?

There is SO MUCH PINK in the stadiums today and I get what MLB is trying to do, but I am a mom, and I have a mom, and I hate the color pink so fucking much.

• Love 5
(edited)

I will not buy pink Phillies (or Eagles ,Sixers, etc) for myself or my niece or goddaughter. I want to wear the team colors just because im a woman doesnt mean I want to wear pink. 

That said i dont really mind the pink on Mothers Day. I like seeing the MLB let's them do individual things on the cleats or arm sleeve to honor their moms. For example Rhys Hoskins ,whose mom passed away when he was in high school, had Miss U Mom on his cleats.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

I will not buy pink Phillies (or Eagles ,Sixers, etc) for myself or my niece or goddaughter. I want to wear the team colors just because im a woman doesnt mean I want to wear pink. 

I'm glad that they eventually came out with team clothing for women that isn't pink. That didn't used to be the case. It used to be that if you wanted a team shirt in a woman's size, it was pink. Always pink.

• Love 2

Sometimes I tend to buy a small in men's shirts anyway because they have cooler designs, more variety, and sometimes I'm really not in the mood to wear a form-fitting shirt with a plunging v-neck, especially to a ballgame. Men's shirts allow me to have a looser fit and not worry about my food baby showing from too much pizza, pretzel, ice cream sundae and a few beers. 😆

• Love 8

Also softball games are only seven innings?  What’s up with that?

Everywhere I've lived, high school baseball and softball games are seven innings. In the younger levels of Little League, it's six.

The power outage during Yankees/Rays today was weird, with the screen just going blank (had the Yankees on due to the Mets being rained out. I can be quite indiscriminate when I want baseball on a Sunday afternoon). 

• Love 3

My TV had turned itself off to idle right when the power outage happened and I was perplexed for a minute how technical difficulties on the YES Network had the power to turn off my TV.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Yeah but I can’t lie, the rainbow jerseys were COOL.

He said he’s gotten two compliments already. For that reason and probably also because the Astros beat the Red Sox last night.

78A3A326-5721-4193-8A1B-D3D07FF27380.thumb.jpeg.2c141b1240b6e72c2ea134a7a6ff159e.jpeg

• Love 5

Listening to the Indians game.  Tom Hamilton is the best announcer ever.  He just loves the game and is so excited, even if the other team just made an amazing play against the tribe.  Indians pitcher just struck out the Orioles player with two men on to end the half inning.  Hami’s call:

“Swing and a miss!  Caught him with a slider!  Down slams the helmet! There goes the bat flip!  Snap goes the shin guards!  Off come the batting gloves.  I don’t think he’s happy.”

I don’t have to be there to see that and enjoy it.

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I feel like they are both jinxes and I blame them both for the entire debacle today!  

That’s ok, check out the Astros/Red Sox score that’s just in the first inning right now. 

4 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Listening to the Indians game.  Tom Hamilton is the best announcer ever.  He just loves the game and is so excited, even if the other team just made an amazing play against the tribe.  Indians pitcher just struck out the Orioles player with two men on to end the half inning.  Hami’s call:

“Swing and a miss!  Caught him with a slider!  Down slams the helmet! There goes the bat flip!  Snap goes the shin guards!  Off come the batting gloves.  I don’t think he’s happy.”

I don’t have to be there to see that and enjoy it.

He really is a terrific announcer, loves the game so much.  Also a very, very nice guy.

• Love 2

My son texted me a YouTube video of amazing plays in MLB history and what I came away with is that I don’t think we ever really appreciate the flexibility of first basemen’s hamstrings.

• Love 5

*sigh* Apparently, Mickey Callaway might be getting canned. Given that the Mets got shut out by the Marlins in consecutive games, I'm half-expecting Brodie to call a press conference wearing bloodied overalls and holding a dirty shovel.

18 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

*sigh* Apparently, Mickey Callaway might be getting canned. Given that the Mets got shut out by the Marlins in consecutive games, I'm half-expecting Brodie to call a press conference wearing bloodied overalls and holding a dirty shovel.

Not that I think Callaway has been great but I don't think he's the reason things aren't going well, although inherited managers typically go before new GM's so I guess tag he's it.

If he gets fired I think it'll be deeper in the season to lesson the amount of time the Wilpons have to pay two salaries let alone pony up for the likes of a Girardi or a Showalter.

But the beauty of being a baseball fan is that you get used to being wrong........

Calloway not getting fired yet. I wonder who gets fired first Mickey Calloway or Davey Martinez? I dont think either of them are great Managers but I dont think the Mets or Nationals trouble are because the Manager . I blame the GMs and more importantly the owners for being not great .  

Yoenis Cepcedes fractures ankle at his ranch ..while he was already on the injured list

https://deadspin.com/mets-say-yoenis-cespedes-suffered-ankle-fractures-in-1834901578

• Love 1
On 5/20/2019 at 9:02 PM, shoregirl said:

Yoenis Cepcedes fractures ankle at his ranch ..while he was already on the injured list

https://deadspin.com/mets-say-yoenis-cespedes-suffered-ankle-fractures-in-1834901578

10 hours ago, bosawks said:

WTF, did he borrow Madison Bumgarner's dirt bike?!?!?!

I'm guessing the truth is that Bobby Bonilla did that to Cespedes with a wrench, and the Mets figured that their fans were pissed off enough as it was. At least they got a walk-off win tonight.

• LOL 3
8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

At least they got a walk-off win tonight.

On a ground ball to short where the batter beat the throw for an infield hit.  I don't remember who it was, but Cano was on deck, prompting Howie Rose (that's still Howie on the radio, right?) to remark "Thus answering the question 'What can happen when you run out a play.'"

Separately, I saw something this morning making reference to the Red Sox and Yankees playing in London at the end of June.  When did that happen???

22 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Separately, I saw something this morning making reference to the Red Sox and Yankees playing in London at the end of June.  When did that happen???

They set that up last year. I was really tempted to go, too, but I have too many baseball trips already this year. It's the attempt to get baseball catching on more in Europe. 

• Love 1

Marvel is running a massive event called War of the Realms. Basically, Earth gets invaded by evil forces from the other realms of Norse mythology, with Frost Giants invading America. In this week's X-Men tie-in, there's a refugee center set up at Citi Field, complete with a new name: Fort Syndergaard. That actually sounds better than Citi Field.

• LOL 4

Rajai Davis had an interesting day in his return to the majors with the Mets.  He was taking BP at Lehigh Valley in preparation for the Syracuse Mets game there, when at 5pm, he got a call up to the big club playing the Nationals.  He took a 2 hour Uber ride to Citi Field, got lost in the stadium trying to find the Mets' club house.  He got to the dugout in the 5th inning, then in his first plate appearance for the Mets as a pinch hitter in the 8th, hit a 3 run homer, helping to fuel a 6-1 Met win over the Nats.

• Love 3