Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I get the impression  a lot of the newer mascots are basically tweaks on the Phillie Phanatic: aka it's a nothing-creature goof, intentionally unrecognizable. Especially for teams named after actual human groups, they're sidestepping the whole "I am not a mascot" issue by keeping the team name, but very conspicuously having a mascot that looks like something that came out of a "send in your 3 year old's drawing and we'll send you a stuffed animal of it" company.

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I get the impression  a lot of the newer mascots are basically tweaks on the Phillie Phanatic: aka it's a nothing-creature goof, intentionally unrecognizable.

That's why we love Mr. Met so much!

JM_2008_08_24_NYMets_003-L.jpg

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Oof, this Red Sox @ Yankees game got ugly real fast.

And I don't give two shits . . . but the CW affiliate is broadcasting, so that means no episode of The Flash for me.  I'm probably not going to see it until Thursday. And now, while I'm thinking about it, I should check the Mets' and Yanks' schedules to see if this is going to happen again.

ETA: . . . and I'm clear. Oh, and Steven Matz got bounced without getting an out.

Edited by Lantern7
Just now, mojoween said:

Different strokes, my friend.  It was bee-yoo-ti-ful.

Oh, I had no horse in that game. Since both teams are struggling, I expected it to be a lot more competitive. The Red Sox have got some issues. That's what they get for taking a powder during spring training.

The one thing different between each team’s struggles is that the BoSox are pretty fully complemented, as far as I know, and the Yanks have an All-Star caliber roster on the DL.

D4UnNtvX4AA3lSD.jpg:large

Betances missing is one of the biggest issues, seeing how the bullpen pitched lately.

• Love 2

Collin McHugh was something out of the Matrix last night with how far he leaned back to avoid getting hit by a line drive. And still got a double play out of it.

• Love 5

My newspaper has a “This Date in Baseball” section and in 1920, manager Gavvy Cravath of the Phillies inserted himself into the game as a pinch hitter and beat the New York Giants 3-0 after hitting a three run homer.

Ya know, I bet Aaron Boone can still knock the ball around...

• Love 2
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Just because the NFL has turned into a league full of players acting like showboating attention whores for doing their job (scoring touchdowns) that doesn't mean that MLB has to do the same.

MLB would beg to disagree.

I never quite understood hitting a batter for "retaliation". You're basically putting a potential run on base for free. I can get in basketball when you foul someone, they still have to hit the free throws. 

So it's, in effect, actually advantageous to showboat because if you know you're going to be hit next time around, you've got a free pass to get on base. 

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I never quite understood hitting a batter for "retaliation". You're basically putting a potential run on base for free.

When it comes to Chase Utley, I was to see them plunk him every at bat, regardless of the situation.

• Love 1

I think plunking is dumb but if you really feel the need to throw it at their butt nowhere near the head . That asking for someone to get seriously hurt.

But also if you do throw near their head (twice at the same at bat) definitely make sure you don't throw a pitch in his zone the next time you face him so he doesn't take you yard then take 34 seconds to get around the bases 😂.

• Love 3

Here's a question I've always had about baseball, not really related to throwing at batters, but along the same lines...

Game situation is a team is down by a run in the middle innings, around the 6th or 7th.  Number 8 hitter leads off with a single.  It's a close game, and the pitcher is doing well, so they leave him in to bunt.  Now, everyone knows he is going to bunt - his team, the opponents, everyone in the stands, the parking lot attendants,  the guy at home with the TV on in the other room for background noise.  Given that, why isn't the first pitch a fastball up and in to put the fear of God in the pitcher trying to lay down a bunt?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Here's a question I've always had about baseball, not really related to throwing at batters, but along the same lines...

Game situation is a team is down by a run in the middle innings, around the 6th or 7th.  Number 8 hitter leads off with a single.  It's a close game, and the pitcher is doing well, so they leave him in to bunt.  Now, everyone knows he is going to bunt - his team, the opponents, everyone in the stands, the parking lot attendants,  the guy at home with the TV on in the other room for background noise.  Given that, why isn't the first pitch a fastball up and in to put the fear of God in the pitcher trying to lay down a bunt?

I just guessing but I'm sure they wouldnt want the pitcher to return the favor when his turn at bat came along.

I just this I read it back and it could come off sarcastically but I really meant it sincerely baseball is weird with all their "unwritten rules" and I bet this is one of them.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 2
(edited)

Hey, did y’all know that Vladimir Guerrero Jr. is going to make his major league debut tonight?  MLB.com has sent me about 34216789 notifications so I wouldn’t forget.

Oh, and MLB Tonight has an effing countdown clock.

Edited by smittykins
  • LOL 4

I almost feel bad for him because everyone is so over the top with it that it's exhausting and thats not on him .MLB is so hyped about a extremely talented son of a great player (but also he probably should already be up and MLB should definitely address the service time issue so good talented players arent being put in the minors just so teams can manipulate their years of service to keep the under control for longer). 

I hope that he doesnt struggle out of the gate becauae they are hyping him so much thats it almost impossible for him (or anyone) to live up to.Dial it back a couple notches MLB let the kid play and let his very obvious talent speak for itself.

This is message from his dad is very sweet though and baby Vlad Jr is adorable.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, smittykins said:

Hey, did y’all know that Vladimir Guerrero Jr. is going to make his major league debut tonight?  MLB.com has sent me about 34216789 notifications so I wouldn’t forget.

Oh, and MLB Tonight has an effing countdown clock.

I mean, the MLB Network is going to show every one of his at bats.  What if the poor kid goes 0-4?

They are going to ruin the excitement for him before he ever starts.

• Love 5

Dude, Alex Bregman got a lot of hype too, and he did not do well at first. I hate that they’re doing this to Vlad, that’s a lot of pressure. Just let the kid play. 

• Love 5

I agree, I worry about the pressure. But even if he doesnt get a hit tonight, he looks pretty good considering the media has been following his every move for the last 48 hrs. The scenes of the horde of cameras following him around today was unreal.

I predict a home run by the end of the weekend...maybe then the press will go away...

Watching Wyatt Cenac's Problem Areas. This week, Wyatt covers sex education, and a LGBTQ program. "They even have it in New York, where sex ed is so medically inaccurate, it's okay to tell a kid that if you fuck a baseball, that's how Mr Met gets made." And now you have that image in your mind.

Lol. Is that what they showed on the Yankees broadcast? Our SF coverage was more focused on the ladies who lost an oar and then tried to drag their boat across a bunch of slippery rocks. Newbs. 

This one time, during a slow game, they kept switching back to this poor shark in the water that you could tell was dying 😞 I think the irony was that Jeff ‘the Shark’ Smardzija was pitching and well, it looked like he was dying too. 

• Love 1

@ebk57 Did you see the giveaway by the O’s on May 11?  It’s a t-shirt that says “There’s no crying in baseball.”  So cool.

Also I found that there is something called the bobblehead hall of fame, and they are selling baseball style Game of Thrones bobbles, and it’s 60 bucks, and I need it anyways.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, mojoween said:

@ebk57 Did you see the giveaway by the O’s on May 11?  It’s a t-shirt that says “There’s no crying in baseball.”  So cool.

Also I found that there is something called the bobblehead hall of fame, and they are selling baseball style Game of Thrones bobbles, and it’s 60 bucks, and I need it anyways.

I did see it!  However, I can't make it to that game, so perhaps I'll check out ebay...

As for the GoT 'heads...  I love the one the Os are doing.  But, it's a Tuesday.  And they would be forcing me to go to another Yankee game to get it 😉.  So I'll also be checking ebay for that one after some time has passed and the prices go down.  I saw the one from the bobblehead hof, but I find their 'heads kind of creepy looking.  I considered joining several months ago, but just don't like the way they look.  

The team has offered an interesting "perk" this season - for a mere $199, I can get most of the giveaways without bothering to show up at the games.  However, the Theme Night giveaways aren't included, so forget it.  The only giveaway I really want this year is the Brooks Robinson 'head and I've already gotten my tickets for that. 

I still have 2 extra House of Pence GoT bobbleheads I need to sell on eBay (both my friends who were supposed to go with me got sick, so I picked up their bobbleheads anyway and kept them. teehee). Maybe they'll go for more than $40 since Pence is no longer a Giant. 😥

Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 2.41.52 PM.png

I got Charlie Morton’s GoT bobblehead last year. This year is Jake Marisnick. I don’t actually care for GoT, but I lurve me some Jake and he’s never had a bobblehead before so I gotta. 

Apropos of nothing, I’m wearing these pants to today’s game. 

1E607449-7B6C-43CF-9298-14EC3ABC6BA6.thumb.jpeg.6c5eab01c236e9213c811cdcd15c16c1.jpeg

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Carston’s 3K moment was ruined by giving up the HR.  Damn you Wilmer Flores!

One: "Carston"? You mean Sabathia? Two: I was wondering how Wilmer was doing. A look at his profile on ESPN shows he's not hitting too well. I should check to see when he comes to Citi Field with the Diamondbacks.

• Love 1

I saw the dumbest poll. They asked what were people looking most forward to possibly happening tonight,  CC's 3,000 K's, Pujol's 2,000 RBI Bellinger's 15 HR in April or Valdy Jr's first HR?   Over 70% said first HR for VG Jr.

WTH?

5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

One: "Carston"? You mean Sabathia? 

CC stands for Carston Charles.

Wilmer got all of that pitch and then some so he looked pretty good batting at that point!

4 hours ago, marymon said:

I saw the dumbest poll. They asked what were people looking most forward to possibly happening tonight,  CC's 3,000 K's, Pujol's 2,000 RBI Bellinger's 15 HR in April or Valdy Jr's first HR?   Over 70% said first HR for VG Jr.

WTH?

I could not give less of a shit about what Vlad Jr. does. The coverage over every single little thing he does is still annoying. It's worse than the constant Ohtani-watching last year.

Dodgers fans.... they’re either dropping their food all over the place as they fail at catching balls, or they’re wearing WHITE pants to a baseball game. I cackled with glee at the idea of her pants getting garlic fries’d and pizza greased. 

That dude must be hungry, but the seagulls will appreciate his clumsiness later tonight. 😆

• LOL 5
13 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I've been listening to the Twins/Astros games and they have a play-off series vibe.

Could be pretty likely with Kluber going down with an arm fracture. Cleveland was already going to have to actually fight this year for the AL Central, but the Twins may have it in the bag now.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, smittykins said:

Thor go boom!

I was on my iPad using my phone to get online, and I was thinking there would be a link. Nope . . . and it turns out Syndergaard homered. Do the Mets still have the winning streak for when their pitcher hits a homer?

ETA: Just to clarify, I saw "Thor go boom!" and immediately thought something had gone wrong. Can you blame me?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

Wilmer got all of that pitch and then some so he looked pretty good batting at that point!

I don't know how he's doing this year, but IIRC WF has historically been a fantastic hitter against left-handers, much less so v. righties.

(edited)

Checked ESPN. Mets only had four hits today. So did the Reds. Mets win, 1-0, with Thor's homer being the only RBI. And he went the distance on 104 pitches. That just screams "Mets game," right? "You guys are going to keep mostly silent? Fine, I'll just bring Mjolnir to the plate and help myself. Or am I calling my bat 'Stormbreaker' these days?"

ETA: "No, no, Edwin. Stay in the bullpen and think about last night. I don't need help on this one."

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3