Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Speaking of deals, nothing on the three-way trade that would bring Thor to the Bronx. Who wants that? You just know something bad will happen to deGrom, and Syndergaard will have his hair cut. It should be as treasured as, say, Bartolo Colon's gut.

I'm mostly unattached to MLB. Who is J.T. Realmuto?

• Love 2

Ain’t nobody making a Red Sox uni look good.  You could put Idris Elba in one and bleargh.

Do you think Andrew McCutchen and Lance Lynn had nameplates over their lockers or scotch tape with their names written in marker?

I know he had less than a cup of coffee with them, but I’ve always loved Cutch since Pittsburgh and am sad to see him go.

• Love 1

As a Pirates fan, the only criticism I have of Andrew McCutchen is that he conformed to those stupid grooming rules the Yankees have.  When I saw him without the beard, I really didn't recognize him.

(About the same time Steinbrenner was instituting that rule, he was involved in felony campaign contributions. So, priorities.)

• Love 4

I got an idea about the concept of "fixing" marathon games. Here's what I got: if a game goes beyond fourteen innings, teams can bring back players that had been replaced earlier. Pitchers would stay benched, though. Why complicate things with them?

• Love 3

The LA hitting coach also went to Cincinnati and Puig has a very good relationship with him, so that may help. They have quite a bromance and I like Puig so I'm glad they're both there

• Love 1

The SNY channel has been showing what they call a yule log all day. But it's not really a yule log, since at the same time, they're re-running David Wright's last game from September. That takes up enough of the screen that the fireplace can barely be seen. Yet it is there, taking away part of the screen from the game. So whether you tune in for the log or to watch the game, either way you're probably going to be disappointed. Really questionable execution. 

• Love 1

I'm hoping this signing means no Machado.  The team the Yanks fielded the last two years was so likable.  Manny would have to be VERY different from how he appears to not spoil the likability factor.

• Love 2

My newspaper had a blurb today about the HOF and it said that this year will be Andy Pettitte’s last year on the ballot, but he hasn’t been on the ballot for 10 years and they are reporting he is at 6.5% (which, WTF, PED or not that is criminally low).  If he’s over 5%, why would he fall off the ballot?

Also it looks like Roy Oswalt will be below 5% and that surprises me.  I thought for sure he would have more support.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

My newspaper had a blurb today about the HOF and it said that this year will be Andy Pettitte’s last year on the ballot, but he hasn’t been on the ballot for 10 years and they are reporting he is at 6.5% (which, WTF, PED or not that is criminally low).  If he’s over 5%, why would he fall off the ballot?

At this point, less than half of the ballots have been made public by individual voters, and his 6.5% is based on those.  If he is not included on enough of the remaining ballots, that could take him below the 5% of the total ballots cast.

From Newsday:

Pettitte’s support in the publicly revealed ballots as of Friday afternoon on bbhoftracker.com had him far, far away from the 75 percent needed to gain induction to Cooperstown. In fact, Pettitte was more likely to fall off future ballots completely. With 44.9 percent of the ballots publicly revealed, Pettitte had been named on just 12, which is 6.5 percent. Any player who gets less than five percent is removed from future ballots.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/andy-pettitte-baseball-hall-of-fame-1.26101082

Edited by Moose135

I love him.  (I feel like I'm in Jerry Maguire...I love him, Laurel.  I. Love him!)

https://www.mlb.com/video/rivera-on-breaking-bats/c-2522236583

The best part was cutting to John Smoltz after they aired this and he was like “I wasn’t laughing.”

Moose!  We can share this with Baltimore, heh.

Wow.  I did not expect to tear up when Doc Halladay’s entry was announced.

Good for Edgar.  All the attention they were giving him I would have felt badly if he didn’t make it.

Mo.  Ahh Mo.  He did it!  100%! Please let my company somehow get us tickets to the ceremony, heh.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Mo.  Ahh Mo.  He did it!  100%! Please let my company somehow get us tickets to the ceremony, heh.

It's about time.  Thought it would never happen!

16 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I always knew the first unanimous pick would be a Yankee, I just figured it would be Mr. Gift Basket.

Hmph. I still think "Hell's Bells" makes better entrance music than "Enter Sandman." Well-deserved vote, and he earned 100 percent. On some level, I think I'm a little butthurt than Tom Seaver has gone from most popular pick to third after Mariano and Junior.

On the bright side, nobody like Larry Jones that pisses me off. In other news, assholes get more votes than cheaters. Maybe there's hope for Schilling yet. "Meh" either way.

ETA: "Mad Dog" is an acquired taste. His pairing with Mike Fransesa on WFAN was the stuff of legend. Well, if you were into sports and living in NYC.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1