Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Nm. I'm going to get sucked into this WBC in spite of myself. This 5 or 6 hour Canada game may make me a fan of the pitch clock.

Edited by cleo
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Ugh. The poor Mets fans. 

Just announced he has a full patellar tear and has to have surgery.  He’ll be back in 2024.

Just now, Lantern7 said:

while playing

I believe he was actually celebrating.  😳

• Sad 1
Just now, mojoween said:

Just announced he has a full patellar tear and has to have surgery.  He’ll be back in 2024.

I believe he was actually celebrating.  😳

Right, celebrating. Here’s a paragraph from Deadspin:

This only could have gotten more Queens Baseball if Vince Coleman threw a firecracker at Diaz during that celebration. Or if David Cone exposed himselfwhile he was warming up in the pen and he was so shocked he tripped over the rosin bag and blew out his knee while Mr. Met failed to protect him because he was too busy flipping off a young girl in the bleachers. That’s just about the only more Mets moment possible.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
48 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

This only could have gotten more Queens Baseball if Vince Coleman threw a firecracker at Diaz during that celebration.

Okay, I know this is just an awful story for the kid and for the Mets and their fans, but this made me laugh out loud inappropriately at work. 🤣

• LOL 7

This reminds me of Kendrys Morales.  He hit a walk-off grand slam and when he made it to home plate he leaped up, landed awkwardly, and broke his leg, and subsequently missed the rest of that season AND the following one.  He had some success afterwards, but he was never the same.  This is why players don't jump at home plate anymore.

That was the first of many, many crappy Angels seasons after a very successful start to the decade.

Edited by cambridgeguy
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3
4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Eight. Months.

Eight. Months.

Unbelievable.  Just . . . shit.

Well, not like Steve is calling Trevor Bauer long-distancr, asking if he's open for the bullpen, right?

He's playing in Japan this season

49 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

He's playing in Japan this season

Which is where “long distance” came from. I’m just saying the Mets aren’t that hard up. I think the floor is calling Tim Tebow and asking if he pitches.

• Like 4
On 3/18/2023 at 12:16 AM, Mittengirl said:

I am surprised that more injuries aren’t sustained during victory celebrations.  Even minor injuries like dislocated fingers and eye pokes seem like they would occur more often. 

I watched the Wisconsin Badgers women's hockey team win the national championship today and they had the pile up on the ice to celebrate.  Goalie Cami Kronish was at the bottom of the pile and emerged with a bloody nose.  It's unclear whether her nose was broken.  In that moment i don't think she cared though!

• Wink 1

I'm go glad Ohtani and Trout got to face off, so the commentators could go home and "satisfy themselves" watching the video. 

Jeez, they almost made what was a great game unwatchable. Like, WE GET IT. There are also 18 other guys playing. 

• LOL 3

Yeah, agreed. I didn't quite get what the big deal was. To be clear, Ohtani is impressive to me in general. But I've never understood the hype about Trout and and all the boohooing about his own desire to stay with a losing team

People were calling him a master of the sport yesterday. Really? Has he ever been in a playoff game? Maybe one I think. I don't know how you can call him a master of the sport when he has largely not participated in one significant aspect of it, and to some extent by his own choosing. 

I also read he was going to try to convince Ohtani to stay with the Angels. I have no.idea if that's true but if it was- dude, c'mon.

ETA apparently it is true lol. Run away Ohtani. 

Edited by cleo
  • Like 1

Funny . . . I realized it’ll be forty years since I went to my first baseball game. For the hell of it, I checked the Mets’ schedule. The date falls on a Monday, but they’ll be playing at home, against the club that was their opponent back then, and it’s a day game.

I might be looking at a three-day weekend.

No promotions, though. First game, I got a blue bat sponsored by a long-defunct bank. Three weeks later, I got a helmet.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Funny . . . I realized it’ll be forty years since I went to my first baseball game. For the hell of it, I checked the Mets’ schedule. The date falls on a Monday, but they’ll be playing at home, against the club that was their opponent back then, and it’s a day game.

I might be looking at a three-day weekend.

No promotions, though. First game, I got a blue bat sponsored by a long-defunct bank. Three weeks later, I got a helmet.

You should go!  I think it's great that you know when your first game was and who the opponent was. 

I have no idea when my first game was, other than sometime in the late 60s.

• Like 3

Only 3 Reds are going to be making more than 3.59 million?  That's rough, especially when their highest paid player, Joey Votto, is getting that money for all of the good memories he's provided over the years instead of the Mendoza line batting average he'll likely have now.

On 3/24/2023 at 7:23 PM, ebk57 said:

You should go!  I think it's great that you know when your first game was and who the opponent was. 

I have no idea when my first game was, other than sometime in the late 60s.

I think it might be 60 years ago for me. I remember my dad asking me if I wanted to go to the zoo or a baseball game and I said baseball. I was around 5, I think.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

WTF is wrong with this Ump? Did JT say something about his Mom or something? The Blue Jays broadcast team speculated  that because the ump threw it back to the pitcher the last pitch so when JT didn't feel it in her a glove he probably thought he was doing it again and pulled his glove down. At least it was a spring training game but unless JT said something that warrants the ejection this Ump had way to quick of a ejection. 

• Like 4

I didn't watch but it looks ridiculous. I really think giving the umps a bunch of complicated rules, with a bunch of complicated discretionary exceptions thrown on top for good measure, will be a disaster. 

I'm not sure how on earth Manfred thinks they can adjudicate these clock stop start rules fairly with all the discretionary exceptions. If he cared.

Edited by cleo
  • Like 4

Year of the Ump.

Was Manfred booed at the draft last year, or did I dream that? 

Looking forward to it happening again.

Edited by cleo
  • Like 3

I love the pitch clock. The two spring training games I went to went by so quickly and I wasn’t bored. The pitchers and batters have gotten much better setting up because there were no violations in the two games.

• Like 3
On 3/28/2023 at 4:35 PM, twoods said:

I love the pitch clock. The two spring training games I went to went by so quickly and I wasn’t bored. The pitchers and batters have gotten much better setting up because there were no violations in the two games.

I've come around toward enjoying it.  Anything that speeds the game up is great for me.  I do not need to deal with 4-5 hour games, thank you.

I've also come around toward thinking Cleveland will win the fall classic over Philadelphia, though I think I would've preferred to go with New York over Houston.

Can't see St. Louis or LA getting it done over New York & Philadelphia.  Actually I can, but I can also those two finding a way to lose in a way similar to New York losing to Cleveland or, per tradition, Houston

It’s almost here!  🥰

Would have preferred not starting inter-league play on opening freaking weekend, but what do I know.

Hey Yanks fans did you know that Anthony Volpe grew up a Yankees fan in New Jersey?  Shame it hasn’t been mentioned before.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Don’t boo your team on opening day, assholes.

Aaron Boone is wearing a full uni and I don’t care if he hates it, I loooooooves it.

”Batting second in centerfield, number 99, the Captain, Aaron Judge, number 99”  I had tears!  I’m such a goober.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Would have preferred not starting inter-league play on opening freaking weekend, but what do I know.

We have a scintillating match up with the Blue Jays. Hmm.

Almost time for the Clydesdales! I'm curious what other cities do for Opening Day. Any fun traditions? 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

We have a scintillating match up with the Blue Jays. Hmm.

Almost time for the Clydesdales! I'm curious what other cities do for Opening Day. Any fun traditions? 

I know the Nationals parade had some Clydesdale Horses.

• Love 2

Os had the Clydesdales a few years ago. There's really nothing traditional happening. But honestly, who needs anything but baseball!!

Happy Baseball Season everyone!

• Like 3
  • Love 1