Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Mets blew a lead in the ninth, gave up two runs in the eleventh . . . and Dom Smith hits a walkoff three-run homer for the win.

#OnlyTheMets

ETA: This will make the top of the 2019 edition of SNY’s Amazin’ Finishes. Also gotta be an episode of Mets Classics.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Well... that was a pretty sucky way to end the season.  Unfortunately, typical...  

The game was good overall though.  

Wait till next year!  Okay, maybe the year after that...or probably at least the year after that...  

It'll happen. You do know that a few of the guys who helped rebuild the Astros are now working for the Orioles, right?

1 minute ago, kariyaki said:

It'll happen. You do know that a few of the guys who helped rebuild the Astros are now working for the Orioles, right?

I do, thanks.  That's why I'm optimistic about the year after the year after the year after...  😄 

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

Well... that was a pretty sucky way to end the season.  Unfortunately, typical...  

The game was good overall though.  

Wait till next year!  Okay, maybe the year after that...or probably at least the year after that...  

Yeah but that catch tho...

28 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I know it means nothing, and they're likely to extend their record of futility against the Yankees in the playoffs, I'm very glad that the Twins got the team record for dingers.

I am most assuredly not.

• Love 1

Any other Yankee fans concerned about the malaise the team hit post clinch?  I mean, I understand they've been using all the scrubs from the bullpen, but that doesn't account for the swoon at the plate.  I'm concerned (cue Tim Gunn hand to the face).

1 hour ago, Harry24 said:

Any other Yankee fans concerned about the malaise the team hit post clinch?  I mean, I understand they've been using all the scrubs from the bullpen, but that doesn't account for the swoon at the plate.  I'm concerned (cue Tim Gunn hand to the face).

Nah. In 1987, the Twins last win of the regular season was the clincher. They won the WS. Post-clinching games only matter if someone gets hurt. (says a Hail Mary for Luis Arraez's ankle) 

33 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

I am hoping for a Twins/Brewers WS.  Not likely, I know, but I would love it.

Fox Sports execs would be have to be put on suicide watch.

• LOL 3
23 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Also not a huge surprise. Hurdle seemingly lost control of the Pirates clubhouse, it was like a high school locker room this season.

It actually was kind of a surprise in Pittsburgh. Hurdle didn't get fired after going 4-24 after the ASB. He didn't get fired after the the altercations in the clubhouse. And he didn't get fired after the Cubs smashed them in a series with a combined score of a billion to one. (OK, it was only 47 runs in three games.)

But the biggest reason Pirates fans thought Hurdle would return is because we believed that the owner is so cheap he would not be willing to pay the final two years of Hurdle's contract to not work.

Personally, I'm pissed at the timing because the news of the firing bigfooted Pirate announcer Steve Blass' last day. Since signing his first player contract in the sixties, Blass has been with the franchise for sixty years. While Blass was key to the team's '71 WS victory, he eventually lost the ability to find the strike zone, leading to the phrase "Steve Blass disease." 

58 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

Now Brad Ausmus is out as Angela manager so there will be new managers in:

San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Pittsburgh.

52 minutes ago, smittykins said:

And Chicago(Cubs).

And the Royals. Ned yost is retiring.

And Philadelphia is probably a 50/50. Sot of letting Kapler go though I put more the GM and President for not getting pitching in the off season and then when you saw they needed pitching help went with Drew Smyley and Jason Vargas.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 1
On 9/29/2019 at 3:07 PM, kariyaki said:

Also not a huge surprise. Hurdle seemingly lost control of the Pirates clubhouse, it was like a high school locker room this season.

My nephews and their peers in various school sports show much more maturity.

The Washington Nationals advance to the NLDS!  As a resident of the District, I am pumped!  As a lifelong Astros fan, I want the Stros to win the WS, but I can still pull for the Nats in the National League.  It is just so exciting for this city.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, nittanycougar said:

The Washington Nationals advance to the NLDS!  As a resident of the District, I am pumped!  As a lifelong Astros fan, I want the Stros to win the WS, but I can still pull for the Nats in the National League.  It is just so exciting for this city.

You can thank me, I didn't watch the game. I'm a jinx for my team.

As someone who lived in the DC area for 30 years, this is pretty cool.

• Love 4

I really really hope Grisham doesn’t become the goat.  HE didn’t load the bases, the score still would have been at least tied, and the Brewers had another chance in the top of the ninth.  Please don’t put the entire game on one kid, media!

Although it did make me laugh in his interview where he was like “I’ve made errors before and I'll make them again” and the SportsCenter guy says “that was his first error.”

• Love 6
4 hours ago, cleo said:

I always thought Harper was overrated.

While he was was with the Nationals, and paying lip service to the fans, I thought he was also, but he was our douchebag.  Now he's just an idiot who play for Philadelphia and is blowing smoke up the butts of the fans.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

While he was was with the Nationals, and paying lip service to the fans, I thought he was also, but he was our douchebag.  Now he's just an idiot who play for Philadelphia and is blowing smoke up the butts of the fans.

I always thought he was a punk, but-as you say-he was "our" punk.  Now he's someone else's punk.  Good.

9 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I'll be on the field at Minute Maid for game 1 of the ALDS doing the big giant flag thing that they do for the national anthem.

That's so cool!  I'll be looking for you!!

• Love 3

The Brewers lost so much of their offense when Yelich got hurt. Lots of other banged up guys - Braun, LoCain, Woodruff, Hiura, Moose . . .  well, you get the picture.  For 2020, it would be nice if they could get some starting pitching that would stay healthy and effective, and not have to use the bullpen for 4+ innings every game.  The internet tells me the Brewers staff only had 38 quality starts this season. The Astros had two pitchers who each had 26, and a third who had 24!!!

• Love 2

I have a very dear friend who is a lifelong Brewers' fan, so during the regular season, as long as the Crew isn't playing my Dodgers, I root for them. Particularly with Yelich catching fire even more than last year, it's been so much fun to watch. (Though if someone can explain to me why they traded Jesus Aguilar, I'd appreciate it.)

I'll admit to a growing sense of dread as they gained momentum in September–I was pretty sure we were going to end up facing each other! I think I was almost as crushed by last night's outcome as the true fan base. The Brewers led for all but nine minutes of that game! Baseball is cruel. But I don't love any other sport as much, these days.

I know how most of this forum feels about my team, so I'll probably go back to lurking, because I enjoy your observations, and I don't want to be a buzzkill. Enjoy the postseason, everyone! Let's hope for great baseball, whoever wins!

• Love 4
12 hours ago, kariyaki said:

ESPN is running two different broadcasts of this AL wild card game. I'm watching the non-A-Rod version that's on ESPN2.

I am willing tolerate A Rob because I really like Jessica's work.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

I guess I’m going to root for the Rays (I certainly did last night) since they’re the least offensive/annoying team of the postseason and/or have relatively non-annoying fans. Also they have my Matt Duffy (#ForeverGiant). 

But also, I’ll root for any team playing against LA.

Except when the Cubs and dodgers played a few season ago, then I kind of just wished a sinkhole would open up on the field and there’s be no winners.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The MLB ad featuring modern players CGI'ed into archive footage makes me laugh. I don't have a problem with celebrations in today's game, but Lord help the man who batflips against a guy like Bob Gibson.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

and/or have relatively non-annoying fans. 

Hey!  I resemble that remark.  

I honestly did not know what I was getting myself into when I fell in love with Bernie Williams almost 30 years ago but whoo-boy am I aware now.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Except when the Cubs and dodgers played a few season ago, then I kind of just wished a sinkhole would open up on the field and there’s be no winners

I find myself in that position more times than I care to.  In that situation, I never win.  😞

• Love 1