Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, mojoween said:

but isn't it good if the Yankees are good?  Because the more people who watch them and visit the park means the more money they earn which means more money goes back to the league?  Or am I not understanding how that works?

That could be said for any team though.   They should want more equality through out the teams but  for the entirety of baseball they have focused on the Yankees the most.

• Love 2

We're going to the Rangers game tonight, are we going to see...

A) Beltre get two hits, for 3,000! Woohoo!

B) Beltre get one hit, so close!

C) Beltre get no hits, rats!

D) Doesn't matter, I will die of heatstroke during the 1st inning?

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

@EllieH, do you have one of those handheld battery powered fans? If not, get thee to Wal Mart and buy one. You may survive the Rangers game with that.

36 minutes ago, EllieH said:

The best is the fan with a water bottle.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, EllieH said:

E) Beltre gets tossed early for moving the on deck circle again.

• Love 3
(edited)

I went through the opposite with Shane Victorino - for a long time I thought his name was Vic Torino.  One time, while flipping channels, I came upon a baseball game in time to hear the announcer yell "underpants!".  I had to stay tuned to hear what the heck he was yelling about.  Turns out Hunter Pence had hit a home run.   Proper enunciation is a good thing.

I have a Mission Endurance cooling towel that I use while mowing the lawn.  It doesn't work at all if it is humid, on the other hand if it is too dry out, they dry up fairly quickly.  But, while wet, they do feel good and don't get my shirt wet like a regular towel would.   They seem to work best if there is a slight breeze.  I run hot, so take that in to account.   (Truthfully, I sweat like crazy.  I can work up a lather shoveling snow.)

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, attica said:

Has anybody tried those newfangled cooling towels? They look cool...

Oh! I have! They are FANTASTIC. I used my Mom's last year while walking around our State Fair. Definitely a good investment probably easier to get into a ball park than a fan with a water bottle on it. Miller Park has some strict carry-in rules, I dont know if you could get one in. I didnt even think to take her cooling towel to a ball game.

I am tentatively checking the Brewers/Cubs score. I didnt watch/check last night so I cant watch it tonight. Made that mistake after the Brewers had that crazy game against the Nationals and then watching the game the next day, the Nationals scored like 8 in the 3rd inning.  Happens to me EVERYTIME. It doesnt help I dont have cable so if I want to catch a game, I have to make plans at someone's house to watch it live...

Now I want Keegan-Michael Key to pop by one of the Yankee booths, reprising his clueless teacher character. "Stepping to the plate is 'Aye-Aye-Ron Judge.'" "Actually, his name is-" "DON'T YOU GET CHURLISH WITH ME!!!!"

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I went through the opposite with Shane Victorino - for a long time I thought his name was Vic Torino.  One time, while flipping channels, I came upon a baseball game in time to hear the announcer yell "underpants!".  I had to stay tuned to hear what the heck he was yelling about.  Turns out Hunter Pence had hit a home run.   Proper enunciation is a good thing.

I've routinely referred to Pence as "Reverend Underpants" since his inspiring 2012 rally speeches in the dugout. 

• Love 1
On 7/29/2017 at 4:12 PM, marymon said:

The best is the fan with a water bottle.

Oh yeah, we brought a bunch of those!  It actually wasn't as bad as I'd feared, there were a decent breeze in the upper deck for most of the game. 

Got to see hit #2,999 and did not go back today to see #3,000, but were watching it at home.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, EllieH said:

Oh yeah, we brought a bunch of those!  It actually wasn't as bad as I'd feared, there were a decent breeze in the upper deck for most of the game. 

Got to see hit #2,999 and did not go back today to see #3,000, but were watching it at home.

Congrats to Mr. Beltre.  I'm sorry you didn't get to see him do that last night.  My only wish was that we won the games, so that worked out... 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

(why he was let out of New Jersey, I don't know),

He is rarely in NJ and I prefer it that way.

As for the heckler he should probably be used to it and thus  probaly should have a thinker skin to just ignore them. 

For me nothing will be as good as when he said mean things about the Phillies and the Phillies twitter reaponding with this tweet 

• Love 6

Saw the highlight. Damn. Just . . . damn. Mets can't really deal Cespedes at this point after signing him twice. Figure maybe this time next year? He did say he wants to finish his career in Oakland. Oh, and like I said before, the Mets have two promotions centered on him in August.

10 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

sporting a tub of nachos at the Brewers-Cubs game today (why he was let out of New Jersey, I don't know)

Apparently one of his spawn works for the Brewers.

According to what I read this morning, the fan heckled him for being a hypocrite. Which is the one thing that hypocrites tend to be most sensitive about.

• Love 9
(edited)
On 7/29/2017 at 8:23 AM, attica said:

I find it charming that Curtis Granderson owns the Wefollowlucasduda Instagram account. And, according to the Y booth last night, the Rays are negotiating to acquire it from Curtis.So much bro-love!

Although I never considered CG my Baseball Boyfriend, I often consider him a Baseball Gentleman Caller. ?

Curtis is one of the greatest! I'm pleased that Sergio Romo appears to be one of the new owners of the account. I love Sergio and hope to see him do well with the Rays. Actually, as a Yankee fan, things worked out pretty well for me with him this weekend. He did well in two of his appearances and not as well in one, so he doesn't get tagged as a bad acquisition AND the Yankees won more games than they lost, haha.

Edited by rippleintime17

Mets dealt Addison Reed to Boston. Will that be it for deals from New York? And they just got three reliever prospects. Seems about right.

For any fans of impending doom: Jacob deGrom Replica T-Shirt Night is this Friday. The guy has been a bright spot with Conforto, so the wheels are due to pop off any day now.

What, did Sonny wipe his butt exclusively with Warriors jerseys? The Yankees are buyers, so they should be paying big time for rental players.

2 hours ago, BetterButter said:

My reaction in his place: "Oh, wow, thanks for the olive branch after thirteen-plus years in hiding. Seriously, you can hate me all you want for instinctively going for the ball, but most fans would have done the same thing in my place. And if the umpire had called interference, I would've been kicked out, and that would have been a small price to pay for a pennant."

• Love 2

I think it's kind of funny how all of the talking heads are asking why Beltre hasn't received more attention when they are the ones who decide who gets attention.

• Love 8
55 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I think it's kind of funny how all of the talking heads are asking why Beltre hasn't received more attention when they are the ones who decide who gets attention.

Because Beltre isn't a Yankee. Meanwhile, Aaron Judge farts and there's a ten minute video article about it. 

• Love 11

The hapless Phillies swept my Braves in a four game series that ended today.  I don't even know what to say about that.

In other news I was in Miami for an event over the weekend and tried to convince the future husband to go to the Marlins game on Sunday before we drove back to Orlando as I've never been to that park before and even though the Marlins are sort of his team (along with he Mets) he wasn't interested.  Is this grounds for calling off the engagement??!

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

The hapless Phillies swept my Braves in a four game series that ended today.  I don't even know what to say about that.

In other news I was in Miami for an event over the weekend and tried to convince the future husband to go to the Marlins game on Sunday before we drove back to Orlando as I've never been to that park before and even though the Marlins are sort of his team (along with he Mets) he wasn't interested.  Is this grounds for calling off the engagement??!

Hmmmm.....  maybe not calling off the engagement right now, but you may need to think seriously about this.   I'd say one more strike...

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

The A's traded Sonny Gray to the Yankees for three scrubs, two of whom are injured, and they had to give the Yankees $1.5 million.  They really wanted to get rid of Gray.

They are not scrubs. They are injured, yes, but the A's aren't contending so that doesn't really matter a whole lot. They are good prospects. Two of them become Top 5 in the A's system! 

1 hour ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

The hapless Phillies swept my Braves in a four game series that ended today.  I don't even know what to say about 

If it makes you feel any better the Phillies havent really been hapless since the allstar break. Plus their record is a little bit deceiving  (I'm not saying they are good just not as bad as their record would indicate. I'm a homer and optimistic but not delusional ☺) They have loss a lot of close games this year. Freddy Galvis has quietly become one of the best defensive shortstops in baseball and the Phillies are going to gave difficult decisions to make because JP Crawford is a highly tauted prospect. They also have a solid outfield and a solid farm system and could contend sooner rather then later.

They traded Neshek, Kendrick, Benoit and Helickson for more prospect and their team now is basically all players from their system . They are going to let these guys play and find out what they have and what they need.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Mets dealt Addison Reed to Boston. Will that be it for deals from New York? And they just got three reliever prospects. Seems about right.

I have no idea about any other NYM moves, but other than one guy who made it to AAA this year, the others are both High-A so they have a ways to go before they'll do you any good.

The Cubs gave Bartman a ring and all it does is piss me off all over again.  The vitriol towards that kid was SO unwarranted that it's bullshit they even had to do that.

HE DID NOT INTERFERE WITH THE BALL ON THE LAST PLAY OF THE GAME.  Is he the one who caused the Cubs to lose the next three innings?  

Argh I need to stop listening to the reaction to this before my blood pressure spikes.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Meanwhile, Aaron Judge farts and there's a ten minute video article about it. 

You say that like it's a bad thing! :)

13 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Is this grounds for calling off the engagement??!

Without more context, it's hard to say. So many variables. But it is def something to factor in....

• Love 1
On 7/31/2017 at 5:19 PM, MyAimIsTrue said:

I say it is not because he is just acting like a regular Marlins fan by not wanting to go to that stadium for a game.  ;)

Are you trying to hit all 30 in one year? Because I'm on board with that.

• Love 1
On 7/31/2017 at 5:19 PM, MyAimIsTrue said:

I can see you having a fight one day like my Mom and Dad -- it was her one day off and she wanted to go and do something with him.  He was watching the 16th inning of a game on TV -- back in the 90s when that was the only choice -- and he didn't wake her up.  He just kept watching the baseball.  She was furious.  She still regales me with that story, and he and I would laugh because in 1994 i was into the Seahawks and the Blazers and I took him to a live action game in the Kingdome and Mike Blowers hit two solo shots and we lost to the Rangers 10-2 and I was hooked.  She got outvoted after that on what we watched on Sunday afternoons.  

Negotiate a settlement of the issue ahead of time.  You get to go to games by yourself and he has to STFU about it.  

Please Philadelphia I'm begging you, call off Pete Rose's Wall of Fame ceremony on the 12th.

"Oh, I didn't know she wasn't 16 and, oddly, since that's the age of consent in Ohio, I only had sex with her in Ohio..."

Don't celebrate this, issue a one sentence press release that it's canceled, offer refunds and call it a day.  This isn't betting on baseball, or giving the side eye to PED's, this is at minimum statutory rape.  

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 9

Ever since Adrian Beltre moved the on-deck circle I've become obsessed.  What a King.

Steve Pearce on the Blue Jays hit 2 walk-off home runs in 1 week and it didn't make the MLB's Top 5 list of highlights.  Pretty funny.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Probably because I'm feeling extra salty today but all of the yap yap yap about Austin Jackson is irritating me.  I would be more impressed if they had WON THE GAME.  Great catch, but utterly meaningless.

7 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Is there any context for the annoyance?  I don't know much about him.  Or was it just a great catch?  

It really was a great catch, but, as noted above, the Red Sox ultimately won the game.  The camera angle from the side where you can see his body alignment as he goes over the fence shows an impressive amount of athleticism.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Austin Jackson &qft= filterui:videoage-lt1440&view=detail&mid=82E77D87DCED6CE5A8A282E77D87DCED6CE5A8A2&FORM=VRDGAR

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 1