Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E17: Tricksters

• Start Topic

I don't want to belabor this point too much, but as I said, general business etiquette is different from journalism ethics/etiquette.

From the Society of Professional Journalist's Code of Ethics:

http://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp

Which is not to say that all journalists live up to this code at all times. But I would think a gift of champagne at a fundraiser would be an obvious one to turn down.

No one gifted Iris with champagne. A gift of champagne would be her receiving a compleimentary bottle. She had one glass offered to her. 

• Love 2

Actually the business etiquette class I took said if you are offered a drink the proper thing to do is accept it.

I was a journalism major for a year, only long enough to take the introductory classes and realize it wasn't for me. One of the very first things we went over in my Principles of American Journalism class was that you never accept anything. If you're covering an event, you don't grab an appetizer or a glass of champagne or anything like that. First of all, because you aren't there as a guest. Secondly, because you don't want to do anything that would make it seem like you might write favorably about someone in exchange for a gift. There are varying levels of severity. If you're doing a human interest story on a kindly old grandmother and she baked fresh cookies to offer you when you come over to interview her, you can take a cookie. If you're a political reporter covering an event, you definitely don't take anything that is offered to you. 

• Love 2

What makes not telling Iris worse is that Joe and Barry had no problem telling Eddie, who a) last we checked, was under the impression that Barry was either after his girlfriend or suffering from lightning psychosis, and b) has only known them for about seven months, but not Iris.

Grr.

When you do find out, Iris, you have my permission to kick all three of them to the ground. 

I think Iris should dump all the three men in her life, move to Metropolis and now that Mason is dead, learn reporting under the guidance of one Lois Lane.

• Love 8

In all the excitement of this episode, did no one else notice Mayor Bellows is also from the 90's Flash show?

He was Officer Bellows, one half of the comedy Police Pair of Bellows and Murphy. Nice cameo.

YESSSSS!!! It was like icing on the cake. Also, John Wesley Shipp wearing that ugly trench coat in S.T.A.R. Labs gave me 90's Flash flashbacks, too.

I'm still not sure if I'm supposed to take James Jesse being Jr. Trickster's father seriously or not. I don't have comic book knowledge, but 90's Flash version basically just used Prank's obsession for him as a means to an end, so who's to say that wasn't what he was doing with Jr.?

• Love 2

They just HAD to pull out the "I am your father" line, didn't they? And I wouldn't have it any other way.

I loved all the Trickster stuff. Mark Hamill is a riot. "It will be my season 5 of Breaking Bad...they gave me cable to stop me from killing the guards". Awesome. 

Eddie is how you do a romantic foil right (take notes, Arrow, and your TinCan Iron Man). I love Eddie, but I am disappointed he joined the lying to Iris party.

Seriously, #tellirishtruths. This is getting ridiculous. Its the one thing I cant stand in an otherwise extremely enjoyable show. 

So Harrison Wells is not even the real Harrison Wells? Interesting. Original Harrison seemed like a nice guy. Poor original Harrison. I wonder what happened to him?  But, at least we have some answers now. 

Barry and his dad give me a bad case of the feels. 

Poor Cisco. First he gets killed in one timeline, he gets kidnapped and his brother get tortured in the next one, and NOW the villains are giving themselves nicknames? This is just not his month. 

• Love 4

I don't think Eddie should be a guideline for a romantic foil. Dude's pretty much irrelevant. We know nothing about him other than that he's a pretty cop who dates Iris and tries to be friends with Barry.He lacks personality and they've written nothing so far to make the audience care about his relationship with Iris.

Am I the only one that doesnt care about the villains on this show? They've done such a piss poor job with the Rogues gallery.

So. Mythology; it was clear that Eobard wanted to kill Kid Barry, no? Also, Eobard made the particle accelerator, what, 6-ish years early? What does that mean? Did the real Harrison's particle accelerator cause the creation of the Flash originally? Did the explosion still happen anyway? In 2020? So Eobard literally just sped it up? So Barry originally became the Flash at, like, 30-something? Or did Eobard tweak things to replicate whatever it was that created The Flash in the first place?

Poor real Harrison Wells. An acclaimed scientist with a bright future, whose life was ended and his legacy ruined because of how brilliant and well respected he would have been in the future. I wonder though, does that mean the Flash originally didn't come around until 2020 or did Thawne have to cause the PA accident in order to create the Flash in the first place so he could use his energy to get home? Did he just accelerate the timeline or did he create it?

I took it to mean that the freak accident was going to happen anyway, and Thawne managed to accelerate the events leading to that. So I guess the show has an in-universe reason for the Flash being so young?

• Love 1

I don't think Eddie should be a guideline for a romantic foil.

Eddie might not be the most exciting guy in the world, but I appreciate that they didn't make him a jerk or a villain, just because he`s dating the woman Barry has a crush on. We don't know much about him, but we don't know much about a lot of the supporting characters. He`s just a nice, likable guy, and that's better than of a lot "boyfriend of main characters crush" type characters get. 

Plus next to the awfulness of Ray over on the Mothership, Eddie looks downright huggable. 

• Love 6
(edited)
Eddie might not be the most exciting guy in the world, but I appreciate that they didn't make him a jerk or a villain, just because he`s dating the woman Barry has a crush on.

I wouldnt be so quick to say that about Eddie, he spawned a  futuristic villainous descendent after all.  As for being a jerk, In the alternate timeline he did beat Barry in front of all their colleagues after all. I think with Eddie, he is a nice guy until you do something to hurt him, then his dark side start to awaken. 

We know nothing about him other than that he's a pretty cop who dates Iris and tries to be friends with Barry.

Well to be fair we do know of his connection to Eobard, he also said he was a fat kid who used to get bullied. That his father had a respective position of power in a town yet hated by the people.

Eddie is how you do a romantic foil right (take notes, Arrow, and your TinCan Iron Man).

How is Eddie done better?.

And they are also differences, Eddie is a season 1 romantic rival and he is also not a superhero unlike Ray (season 3 romantic rival and a hero getting a spin off), there are bound to be different approaches with how they are written . I think Eddie parallels more with what they did with Tommy in season 1 of Arrow.

Edited by Conell
  • Love 1

Yea  the drink was probably inappropriate but I think that's such a commonly done thing with TV show reporters nowadays that the writers put it in this episode to advance the poison plot and yes I know they didn't need it but it's there now.

As far as we know, in the current timeline, Iris was told there might be something shady going on with Star Labs, but not so much about Wells himself. Iris checked in with Caitlin back when Ronnie was around, caught her in an apparent lie and then...nothing

To be fair the point of that revelation was that she was going to help  Mason on his article in terms of investigating her friends. Until she knew what Mason wanted, she worked on her stuff. Barry and Joe's interference is what killed that more then anything.

See, in this instance I get where Eddie (and Barry and Joe) are coming from. Mason was investigating Wells and it ended with him being killed. This isn't normal "keep Iris out of danger bs...this is "if Iris continues down Mason's path...she may get killed too".

The thing is that she went to first Eddie and Flash to help her find Mason and make sure he was ok. It had nothing to do with an article. She was actually doing the right thing and using her connections to investigate Mason's disappearance as opposed to taking it upon herself to search for him and she gets repaid for her caution by having her dad conspire with the men in her life to lie to her in a misguided attempt to keep her ignorant and safe.

Eddie is just like Barry, neither of them like lying to Iris but they do it to pacify Joe.

No they're not. Barry's using his secret identity to help Joe spy on Iris, Eddie is reluctantly going along with a needless lie. Barry's sin is a lot worse.

Hopefully, once she finally learns Barry's secret, she goes down to Star City and get lessons from Quentin on how to deal with jackasses who needlessly keep dangerous secrets

• Love 2

I hope Iris doesn't let up on her investigation*; there are ways to verify that story. Even if she doesn't find out what happened to Mason, she should figure out that she's being lied to.

*Although with these writers, I'm sure it will be never mentioned again.

Never mentioned again probably. It also functioned as a reset, which the show is way too fond of, and they can later surprise us by springing Barry is Flash on her. 

I'd like to think the Eddie Tiffany's box argument is as a result of Iris finding out about his part in deceiving her, but that could be simply be love triangle shenanigans.

(edited)

I don't know; I think Eddie has been kind of whiny about Iris's relationship with Barry. He hasn't been a full-bore jerk about it, but he's been expressing his insecurity in ways that annoy me. (Punching Barry seems like a tv staple, rather than an action true to his character.)

Speaking of annoying things, has Wentworth Miller always overacted so atrociously? "Captain Cold"? More like "Captain Cringeworthy."

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2

When has Eddie been whiny? He asked Iris in 1x09 whether she though Barry liked her, because he noticed that Barry had been acting weird, and then seeing as the double date happened in both timelines he saw the way she was wiping sauce off Barry's face and called her on it.

• Love 3

Eddie might not be the most exciting guy in the world, but I appreciate that they didn't make him a jerk or a villain, just because he`s dating the woman Barry has a crush on. We don't know much about him, but we don't know much about a lot of the supporting characters. He`s just a nice, likable guy, and that's better than of a lot "boyfriend of main characters crush" type characters get. 

Don't be so quick to say they didn't make him the villain. The season isn't over yet and a certain Paleyfest trailer had season that haven't showed up onscreen yet. Plus in the other timeline he punched Barry over Iris. 

• Love 1

In the scene an episode or two ago where Eddie tells Iris he thinks there's more to her feelings for Barry than she's letting on, he says something along the lines of "Whatever it is, it has to stop." I found the actor's tone kind of, well, whiny. I don't know how else to describe it.

Also, there was the punching.

In the scene an episode or two ago where Eddie tells Iris he thinks there's more to her feelings for Barry than she's letting on, he says something along the lines of "Whatever it is, it has to stop." I found the actor's tone kind of, well, whiny. I don't know how else to describe it. Also, there was the punching.

Yeah. That was after the mouth wiping scene. Which everything called Iris out for. She moved in with him. Most people think of that a precursor to marriage. If she does have second thought, or thinks that she does have feelings for Barry, Eddie's right. She should tell him and make up her mind. It's not fair to anyone if she doesn't

• Love 3

Right now, I actually really want to know happened to the real Harrison Wells. Is he dead? Missing? What? 

I have to say, I did not see that twist coming, and I can usually see this stuff a mile away. Two for you, The Flash, you go The Flash

Right now, I actually really want to know happened to the real Harrison Wells. Is he dead? Missing? What?

I'm thinking the real Harrison Wells is dead.  Now, where his body went I have no idea.  Did Eobard Thawne hide it in the ditch nearby the accident ?

• Love 1

So apparently we can put down anyone that happens to nose around the CSI office at CCPD as in on Flash's secret identity. Barry's wall of weird has this potentially incriminating picture

ROFL. Show, you dun goofed. I doubt this will do ANYTHING, but it would be funny if Singh came in, rolled up the map and saw it. But chances are, he already knows anyway. Barry just needs to go onto live TV and show people what he can do, sans mask. Everyone but Iris knows anyway! 

• Love 1

I'm thinking the real Harrison Wells is dead.  Now, where his body went I have no idea.  Did Eobard Thawne hide it in the ditch nearby the accident ?

The trailer is heavily implying that the body Joe and Quentin find is Harrison Prime's (TM Afterbuzz Tv's Flash ep)

• Love 2

... Speaking of annoying things, has Wentworth Miller always overacted so atrociously? I hope "Captain Cold"? More like "Captain Cringeworthy."

Actually, no. It seems like he is just really enjoying playing a comic book villain.

• Love 2

Well, I'm glad if Miller's enjoying himself, but the arch, stagey voice he's adopted for the character takes me out of the story. I'm not enjoying it. Clearly it's a mileage kind of issue.

Despite its flaws, The Flash is the best superhero show on television.  I started watching Arrow in its first season, but dropped out.  For those complaining about the writers of this show, be lucky it's not AoS, where so much junk gets thrown against the wall to see what sticks with their multiple character backgrounds. 

I hope Tom Cavanagh gets an Emmy nomination buzz.  He truly deserves it. 

• Love 4

It's a small but impressive detail. Matt Letscher managed to get Tom Cavanagh speech patterns *down*. I noticed it most in the scene between the two of them. I loved that

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure "City Hall" in this episode is the same location as Argus' headquarters in the Arrow crossover episode. Also, maybe the same place where the showdown with Multiplex took place.

But I suspect the writers have just opened the door just a crack for the real Harrison Wells to return if the timeline ends up being reset, which would seem to be where things are headed. (Also allows them to keep Tom Cavanaugh on the show.)

I'm rooting for you to be right.    I like the current Dr. Wells -- aside from his extracurricular activities, of course -- and the original seems even nicer.

Another great episode.  Mark Hamill killed but I found myself wanting MORE.  I wanted him to cut that last little bit of restraint and go full-on Joker.

The scene of RF and Flash running circles around Barry's living room was great.

Another great episode.  Mark Hamill killed but I found myself wanting MORE.  I wanted him to cut that last little bit of restraint and go full-on Joker.

The Trickster is not like the Joker. The joker is deadly while the Tricker's antics are mostly just annoying.

(edited)

The Trickster is not like the Joker. The joker is deadly while the Tricker's antics are mostly just annoying.

Oh I understood that.    But it's like salsa.   I've eaten hot salsa for years.    I'll eat mild when it's all that's available and while it's good, it's just not the same.   The whole time I find myself thinking about how much more enjoyable it would be if it were hot.

Edited by millennium

I like a theory that I saw posted elsewhere that since Reverse Flash caused the lab to be created so much earlier, this is basically a reboot of the comic books.  Other then Iris's reporting job which seems to have been caused by the Flash creation, everything else fits quite well into that theory.

Oh I understood that.    But it's like salsa.   I've eaten hot salsa for years.    I'll eat mild when it's all that's available and while it's good, it's just not the same.   The whole time I find myself thinking about how much more enjoyable it would be if it were hot.

Okay but just saying The Trickster has never been The Flash's version of The Joker. That role is reserved for the Reverse Flash, his greatest enemy. 

Not to speak for Millenium, but I get the impression they were talking more about general personality and charisma, not importance to the universe. Granted, everything I know about Reverse Flash, could fill half a teaspoon and is pretty much limited to this show, so maybe he really is a maniacal bad guy with a flair for the wacky and absurd.

But regardless, I loved this episode, and it was great to see Mark Hamill back in action. I'm kind of hoping we don't get a full-on reset for Dr. Wells, though. I'm okay with resetting a day so Cisco doesn't die, but resetting EVERYTHING? Sure, it's a comic staple, but I feel like it would just be unsatisfying for a show. What I really hope for is that Eobard Thawne ended up taking more of Dr. Wells than his look and DNA, but also got his mind, hiding out deep in the recesses of his own, and eventually it can wake up and take over or something.

(edited)
They just HAD to pull out the "I am your father" line, didn't they? And I wouldn't have it any other way.

I was hoping it would turn out to  be a lie in the end, he is called The Trickster after all.

Also, John Wesley Shipp wearing that ugly trench coat in S.T.A.R. Labs gave me 90's Flash flashbacks, too.

Lol, sneaky writers. I didnt notice but now that you mention it I love the homage.

I'm thinking the real Harrison Wells is dead.  Now, where his body went I have no idea.  Did Eobard Thawne hide it in the ditch nearby the accident ?

I think Eobard hid his own body from the police and is using Harrison's body. If Harrison is dead then how is Eobard able to be a genius?. As Wells he must be using Harrison Well's intellect imo, I really doubt Eobard is even close to being that smart even with future knowledge. 

TT almost killed hundreds of people in this latest episode, Iris included, his antics are more than just being annoying. I would say he is close to being as deadly

Edited by Conell

I was hoping it would turn out to  be a lie in the end, he is called The Trickster after all.

Lol, sneaky writers. I didnt notice but now that you mention it I love the homage.

I think Eobard hid his own body from the police and is using Harrison's body. If Harrison is dead then how is Eobard able to be a genius?. As Wells he must be using Harrison Well's intellect imo, I really doubt Eobard is even close to being that smart even with future knowledge. 

TT almost killed hundreds of people in this latest episode, Iris included, his antics are more than just being annoying. I would say he is close to being as deadly

Correct me if I'm but isn't Eobard Thawne also a genius from *his* time? That would explain how he is so smart.

Putting aside the analogy of the Joker being Batman's greatest enemy, I'd say the Trickster is the closest that any Flash villain will get to being like the Joker. I'd think that if I had to compare Thawne to anybody that I'd either compare him to Magneto or Lex Luthor.

So did this conversation actually happen offscreen??

BARRY: Iris is investigating Mason's murder. We need to protect Iris from Wells but knowing I'm the Flash puts people in danger.

JOE: We should tell Eddie you're the Flash so he can make up a lie about Mason.

BARRY: If we can tell Eddie, why not just tell Iris?

JOE: She's a girl.

• Love 3

So did this conversation actually happen offscreen??

BARRY: Iris is investigating Mason's murder. We need to protect Iris from Wells but knowing I'm the Flash puts people in danger.

JOE: We should tell Eddie you're the Flash so he can make up a lie about Mason.

BARRY: If we can tell Eddie, why not just tell Iris?

JOE: She's a girl.

Eddie: (upon being told): Yea, thanks for putting my life in danger you stupid pricks.

I'd really like to see a Joe West-Laurel father daughter pairing just to see how many secrets they'd keep from one another.

• Love 1

The average lab jockey today could probably seem smarter than Ben Franklin or whatever inventor you could name from the 1600-1800s. Especially if he had a road map in terms of what Ben Franklin/inventor-in-question knew and did.

Eobard presumably is pretty smart inherently. But supplementing his own knowledge, don't forget, he has access to supercomputer Gideon to do a good portion of the heavy lifting. 

(edited)

Eobard came back in time as the Reverse Flash, his knowledge of Barry's powers is leaps and bounds above anyone else plus he has Gideon plus he knew enough to target the real Wells and move up the accelerator's timetable. I believe he's manipulated his current team of Cisco and Caitlin into position as well as Ronnie and Grodd. Like Joe said, he's been patient. Even if he had to absorb Wells' knowledge he still had to methodically plan the next 15 years so his intelligence/knowledge of the future must be extremely high.

ETA: I also believe he's been playing some stuff as it happens, like working with Eiling, and separating Ronnie/Stein, so that is also points in favor of his intelligence in my opinion.

Edited by Smug47
  • Love 1

I'd really like to see a Joe West-Laurel father daughter pairing just to see how many secrets they'd keep from one another.

It really is kind of a problem with this show, as well as Arrow. Too many freaking secrets! Some of which are being kept for no good reason! 

• Love 1

General business etiquette is not the same as journalistic ethics/etiquette. I find it impossible to believe that any news organization would be good with a reporter drinking alcohol while working in general, let alone accepting alcohol from a politician she is covering. 

Define working?  I work for a newspaper that puts on several events where alcohol is served.  The editorial staff is expected to attend them and they're not forbidden to drink.

There is a big difference between a reporter attending a newspaper-sponsored event where alcohol is served and drinking while s/he is not covering it for the newspaper and what we are talking about here: attending a fundraiser for a politician where alcohol is served for (presumably) the purpose of covering it and drinking the alcohol the politician has provided for his supporters.

If your newspaper would condone a reporter covering an event put on by a politician and drinking the politician-provided alcohol, let me know. Maybe journalism has changed over the years or they ignore the above-cited SPJ guidelines. But I'm fairly confident that no newspaper would condone on-the-job alcohol drinking while covering an event.

I work for a newspaper that puts on several events where alcohol is served.  The editorial staff is expected to attend them and they're not forbidden to drink.

I used to be a journalist and I've never drunk so much in my life.

So what exactly was Eobard/RF doing in the world more than 15 years ago? He got here. . . somehow, then staged a chase-around with Flash and ran out of super-speed. When it was Wells as RF, we could all fanwank that he traveled back to kill Barry's mom so that Barry would have the impetus to become The Flash later on, but now? Not sure why Eobard Thawne came to earth and went back in time in the first place.

I think RF and the Flash may have ended up there accidentally. The last episode showed them popping in while fighting, so my personal theory is that they were having a huge knock down drag out fight that pushed both of them into the past by accident. We haven't actually seen Barry's mom get murdered yet, so the idea that Eobard went back expressly to murder her (or that he succeeded only to find himself trapped) is still up in the air.

My personal perverse theory is that Henry really did stab Nora and he's an even bigger sociopath than Wells.

Edited by Smug47

Does the Flash in the comics have a catalogue of supervillains who are sort of off-brand or junior varsity Batman or Superman nemeses? The Trickster seems to me to be a kind of para-Joker. Casting Mark Hamill reinforced that impression; don't get me wrong, Hamill's brilliant, but he seemed to be playing Joker Lite.

Also, the fellow player Trickster Junior was quite terrible, even for the run of villains in this show. (The casting of the main roles, I think, is good- to-great. The villain guest stars have been poor-to-embarrassing.)

Wells!Thawne said in the original timeline that his goal was to kill Barry, and Nora's death was an accident.

Does the Flash in the comics have a catalogue of supervillains who are sort of off-brand or junior varsity Batman or Superman nemeses? The Trickster seems to me to be a kind of para-Joker. Casting Mark Hamill reinforced that impression; don't get me wrong, Hamill's brilliant, but he seemed to be playing Joker Lite. Also, the fellow player Trickster Junior was quite terrible, even for the run of villains in this show. (The casting of the main roles, I think, is good- to-great. The villain guest stars have been poor-to-embarrassing.)

Hamill rocked the unitard as the Trickster well before the advent of BTAS, so if anything his Joker probably owes something to the Trickster he created. This version was just far more sinister than the 90's original. So far as the other Rogues go, we've gotten a pretty good view of them so far IMHO with only minor changes except for Golden Glider, who has (so far) lost her levitating ice skates and exploding jewelry.

Wells!Thawne said in the original timeline that his goal was to kill Barry, and Nora's death was an accident.

Hamill rocked the unitard as the Trickster well before the advent of BTAS, so if anything his Joker probably owes something to the Trickster he created. This version was just far more sinister than the 90's original. So far as the other Rogues go, we've gotten a pretty good view of them so far IMHO with only minor changes except for Golden Glider, who has (so far) lost her levitating ice skates and exploding jewelry.

I completely agree and if they are going with where I think they will go with Grodd. He will still be an intelligent gorilla from a hidden city of thers. However, despite his high intellect and mind powers. Grodd can still be a wild beast and would be more than happy to rip you apart from his own two hands. I like what they did with Girder making it so he could shift between metal and human flesh. In the comics he is always metal and is falling apart slowly due to him rusting. It was a nice update like with Golden Glider. I also see them keeping the idea with newer Rogues like, Double Down who's skin is made out of cards that fly off and can cut through anything or the Folded Man who's suit allows him to travel across the 3 sets of dimensions from 2d-3d and in-between. 

So what exactly was Eobard/RF doing in the world more than 15 years ago? He got here. . . somehow, then staged a chase-around with Flash and ran out of super-speed. When it was Wells as RF, we could all fanwank that he traveled back to kill Barry's mom so that Barry would have the impetus to become The Flash later on, but now? Not sure why Eobard Thawne came to earth and went back in time in the first place.

I guess in the original timeline where his mother lives that the lab accident happens whenever the original Wells creates the lab, this is likely the comic book timeline.  Which is why RF goes back in time to try to kill Flash.  As soon as he got trapped, he took over Wells body to expedite the process for reasons shown. I'm assuming that they rebooted it this way to rewrite the origin story and to target a more CW friendly age demographic.

Edited by Oscirus

Late to the conversation, but I TOTALLY LOVED Mark Hamill. I could so hear him channelling Joker, but also feel him holding back the maniacal laughter that he was/is so very good at when playing Joker.

I really want him to come back.

And I laughed and squeed at the "I am your FATHER!" I totally did.