Type keyword(s) to search

7 Little Johnstons - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The Johnston's have a child from China. The Little Couple also have a child from China. Emma, who is 13, got 2 Chinese dinners and got to hang out with Chinese friends to learn about her heritage.

Will, the Little Couple's son, who is 7, is getting a trip to China to learn about his heritage. Not only is his family of 4 going, his 6 grandparents are also going.

Wow, we know who the big money maker for TLC must be. The Johnstons must feel like shit on TLC's shoe next to the Kleins (The Little Couple).

• Love 5

Think about all the international (and domestic) trips the Duggars, including grandma and Amy received from TLC. They were their cash cow at the time and were rewarded accordingly. The Duggars had zero interest in the places they visited (maybe except Israel?), they were the ugliest Americans I’ve seen, and I saw plenty during our three weeks in China. They only wanted to Jesus bother people and feel superior. 

I’d rather see Will returning to his homeland than the aforementioned fools’ travels. Anna has expressed interest in Russia, maybe Emma was not as interested. Maybe the parents did not want a big trip if it was filmed. Time will tell. When the Johnstons went to Puerto Rico Anna had suggested Russia. Amber said they’d need passports. Lots of logistics involved. Or I’m making things up. 😂

• Love 2

I like the series but have noticed a few changes on the new season, all of a sudden the girls and Amber wearing make-up for the show interviews, I always liked them for their "real" look but maybe people they know have commented, or school peers and they felt the need to be a little more made up on the show. With regards to the house/mold, Trent said he did the home inspection himself and that "even a certified home inspector" would have missed the issues with the mold and dry rot underneath. They did say they had closed on their last house and actually had not yet made a deal on a new house which is why they went to the hotel. I suspect the house may have been a short sale or estate sale. 

I think Amber and Trent are very strict as evidenced by the yes sirs and ma'ams from the kids and perhaps thats why Anna was seeking to spread her wings a bit and totally normal for her age. I agree Alex is a bit whiny, but I see him as lacking confidence in himself, hopefully he will overcome that. I just previews for the next episode and the poor cat-I hope it ends being ok.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, sATL said:

I liked how Amber and Trent took the time to make (and keep) a friend from Emma's heritage and how they celebrated her 13th birthday. I thought it was nice, kinda personal, made her feel special and age appropriate. Yes,  monies were spent, but they didn't go overboard. It is true what the episode illustrated about Buford Hwy in ATL.

I missed the home dinner with the products they brought from the grocery store. Even if the home-dinner came out awful, the personal thought and time was very sweet. 

I say that to add b/c there is another show (also on TLC) who has a different approach to teaching/reminding/showing a child's heritage. I just perfer last night's episode.

I thought that awesome as well, saw that "other" show too and how parents said "he wants to go back so we're taking a trip" He's 7! I would think a trip like that would be more appropriate a few years down the road. But obviously quite a bit of money difference. I hope Emma, if she can and wants too can go back as well. I loved the way they did this for Emma. Just wish they were more a bit more private about personal things, did the world need to know what Emma's special present was? The teasing she'll get...

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Libby said:

The Johnston's have a child from China. The Little Couple also have a child from China. Emma, who is 13, got 2 Chinese dinners and got to hang out with Chinese friends to learn about her heritage.

Will, the Little Couple's son, who is 7, is getting a trip to China to learn about his heritage. Not only is his family of 4 going, his 6 grandparents are also going.

Wow, we know who the big money maker for TLC must be. The Johnstons must feel like shit on TLC's shoe next to the Kleins (The Little Couple).

Maybe they don't negotiate their contract as well.  Maybe they don't want to go to China.  Maybe they don't care what the Kleins are doing.  

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Libby said:

! 10 people on a overseas trip for a 7 yr birthday party  and a business meeting ?  I heard Bill's potty pads are made there

Trent and Amber seem a little old school and that they may not have felt it was comfortable (ie appropriate) to go to China for a 13 yr old when they haven't tried the Chinese experiences on Buford Hwy, as well as them/Emma spending time with those still embrace/celebrate the culture here, in the US/GA, every single day. That is another issue I have with the Kliens - sure go to China for x-days, but when you get back to US/FL, then what  - the culture gets put aside ?

Trent strikes me a person who believes in making/earning his own way and has a line on handouts.  Yes, TLC picked up the dime at the restaurant (which seemed like close to 10 people ) with all of the different dishes as well as the grocery store tab.

RE: Anna - given that she is 18 +/-, going to Russia is fine.  I think she will get alot out of a trip. Either way, the Johnstons need to resolve traveling-paper work issues - -passports- whether they go someplace or not. Surprised TLC isn't pushing or assisting them with that effort.

PS : I would have been ok with China at age 13 , if that is what Emma wanted to do.. And I agree - Trent probably cares less than a damn what the Kliens are doing. He seems to have a very strong way of how he wants things to be run in his household. I kinda like that.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 5

That story of Johah having an "accident" while locked in the van while the mom was shopping is going to stick around for a while...Gosh, I wish his sister would have found another memory to share.... not only its was on TV .. now the story is on a family memory video...

• Love 4
1 hour ago, sATL said:

That story of Johah having an "accident" while locked in the van while the mom was shopping is going to stick around for a while...Gosh, I wish his sister would have found another memory to share.... not only its was on TV .. now the story is on a family memory video...

I forgot about that, yes! That was the only memory she could come up with?  She didn't state how old he was, regardless, I would have cut that from, the show.  

• Love 4

SGirl does not remember our time in China (16 mos old) but knows all about it through the pictures and videos we have. We made a poster collage of our trip, and at 11 years old she loves to point to the pictures and “tell us” what happened.

She met her only living great grandma when she was two years old and does not remember a thing. But she has pictures and video of GG singing to her and telling her how much she loved her. SGirl looks at those pictures and video with pride. Had we waited until SGirl was old enough to remember she would not have met her GG, since she passed away the following year.

SGirl does not remember her first two trips to Puerto Rico and Maui to visit grandparents. Again, pictures and videos have given her many hours of giggling about being a baby and being there. If we all waited until kids could remember we would not do anything until they are 10+ years old.

We would love to take SGirl on a heritage trip to China. It’s not feasible because we have aging and sick parents in Puerto Rico and Maui, and SGirl seeing them one last time is a priority. If that was not the case we would be on our way to China now.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Libby said:

I think the Kleins are wealthy in their own right.  They've published more than one book.  Jen being a pediatric doctor and in such demand definitely earns her a mid to high 6 figure salary.  Bill has always been a businessman and knows how to earn a very decent living.  He probably knows a lot about negotiating too - with TLC.

Edited by Evagirl
clarity
  • Love 4
43 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

I think the Kleins are wealthy in their own right.  They've published more than one book.  Jen being a pediatric doctor and in such demand definitely earns her a mid to high 6 figure salary.  Bill has always been a businessman and knows how to earn a very decent living.  He probably knows a lot about negotiating too - with TLC.

You're probably right, he's probably getting a business trip out of the deal. I'm sure he'll pitch the pee pad idea when he's over there, it's a win win for them.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, JoRo said:

I like the series but have noticed a few changes on the new season, all of a sudden the girls and Amber wearing make-up for the show interviews, I always liked them for their "real" look but maybe people they know have commented, or school peers and they felt the need to be a little more made up on the show.

Elizabeth and Anna are now teenagers so it's very common for girls their ages to become interested in makeup - especially now, I love makeup but holy moly the talent teenagers have now with applying makeup is crazy.  Amber may have gotten into it now too since she has daughters to enjoy it with, and previously when they started the show I don't think she was working, so becoming a realtor she probably decided she needed to enhance her appearance a bit. She looks nice when her hair is done and makeup on. 

• Love 5
On 12/27/2015 at 10:16 AM, TEEVEE said:

Alex is 9, going into 4th grade yet his behavior, the crying with the stomping and weird noises is embarrassing. 

What annoys the heck out of me is how Trent and Amber cater to Alex while calling him the 'baby' of the family. Meanwhile Emma is the same age as him and Trent and Amber should be making a fuss over her because she is so laid back and accommodating. Every time Alex whines and complains he's hungry should be their cue to lavish attention on Emma while ignoring Alex completely. Jonah could do with some ignoring as well. I don't understand his slack-jawed demeanour, while raising his arms like he is a T-Rex. I swear that stance is a teen thing as my mom sent me a pix where I am walking around, arms bent at the waist dangling limp wrists and all. I looked like a female Jonah. Lol.

• Love 2
On 11/28/2018 at 9:30 AM, bichonblitz said:

Anna was sad in her TH trying to explain herself and why she's not such a bad kid. She did a fantastic job at the camp with the children and yet Amber couldn't be more distant about it. 

My heart ached for her as well as she was struggling to explain her emotions. I find that she stammers a lot when her input is wanted and I truly believe it's due to Amber asking her a question only to provide the answer before Anna can get a thought out. My next observation is not meant to be superficial, but I have to note that Anna is growing into a very attractive young woman. I would have loved to have her curves and tiny waist when I was 17. I worry that some guy is going to whisper sweet nothings in her ear, and as soon as she hears the word 'love' she'll be gone. She is a gal in need of acceptance, Amber and Trent. Get on it before it's too late!

• Love 13
On 11/29/2018 at 5:26 AM, sATL said:

PS : I would have been ok with China at age 13 , if that is what Emma wanted to do.. 

When I read the posts about each child returning to the country of their birth, and the best age to do so I was reminded of Amber trying to focus on feeding each adopted child their country's standard dinner. They took Emma out (along with their Chinese friends/hosts) for a magnificent meal. Then I remembered Anna's fiasco birthday dinner. I don't know about the rest of you, but the borscht I make is delicious and it was as though Trent and Amber went out of their way to make the most disgusting meal they could have. Not washing the beets, and then having slices of beet so large they couldn't fit in their mouths. Once again, Anna was an afterthought. Any Russian meals (however limited my knowledge is) I've had were equivalent to comfort food  warm, hearty with baked bread. WTF did they serve Anne? 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Chalby said:

When I read the posts about each child returning to the country of their birth, and the best age to do so I was reminded of Amber trying to focus on feeding each adopted child their country's standard dinner. They took Emma out (along with their Chinese friends/hosts) for a magnificent meal. Then I remembered Anna's fiasco birthday dinner. I don't know about the rest of you, but the borscht I make is delicious and it was as though Trent and Amber went out of their way to make the most disgusting meal they could have. Not washing the beets, and then having slices of beet so large they couldn't fit in their mouths. Once again, Anna was an afterthought. Any Russian meals (however limited my knowledge is) I've had were equivalent to comfort food  warm, hearty with baked bread. WTF did they serve Anne? 

I was thinking the whole time they were preparing that meal Amber half a$$ing it, only did it for show. If you've not seen the episode where Anna was in the hospital & Amber made a home video crying because they were still there, 2 weeks after they should have been able to go home. No maternal feelings shown at all. I feel terrible for Anna, she's such a pretty girl & every fault she has is aired to the world, for a few dollars :/ 

• Love 6
On 11/29/2018 at 3:34 PM, gunderda said:

Elizabeth and Anna are now teenagers so it's very common for girls their ages to become interested in makeup - especially now, I love makeup but holy moly the talent teenagers have now with applying makeup is crazy.  Amber may have gotten into it now too since she has daughters to enjoy it with, and previously when they started the show I don't think she was working, so becoming a realtor she probably decided she needed to enhance her appearance a bit. She looks nice when her hair is done and makeup on. 

Agreed.  None of them look overly made up to me, and they still have times when they don't look like they're wearing any make up, which is good, too.  

• Love 4

I think that Anna is sweet. Who cares that she's silly? A lot of teen aged girls are silly. She seems very warm hearted to me.

It seems that the parents have set her up as the whipping boy for the whole family. They all tease her.

I don't think that Anna deserves the way that the family treats her. Trent and Amber can be very mean cold hearted people. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Chalby said:

My heart ached for her as well as she was struggling to explain her emotions. I find that she stammers a lot when her input is wanted and I truly believe it's due to Amber asking her a question only to provide the answer before Anna can get a thought out. My next observation is not meant to be superficial, but I have to note that Anna is growing into a very attractive young woman. I would have loved to have her curves and tiny waist when I was 17. I worry that some guy is going to whisper sweet nothings in her ear, and as soon as she hears the word 'love' she'll be gone. She is a gal in need of acceptance, Amber and Trent. Get on it before it's too late!

I teach high school and I can affirm that peer pressure and/or “love” makes the students do crazy things! Trent & Amber have every right to parent their kids, especially Anna, the way they see fit. As a teacher, it’s refreshing to know there are parents who exist who have pre-requisites for certain things, like driving.

We’ve seen that Anna is a follower when it comes to socializing at school. She was a great leader at the summer camp, but she wasn’t trying to impress her peers. In school, it’s a different ballpark. I sincerely hope that she’s able to maintain some of her newfound maturity and realize how good that self-confidence makes her feel.

I also have to say that while Trent & Amber are being ragged on for embarrassing their kids, I couldn’t help but find it odd that during her TH, 18 year old Anna burped and didn’t even say “excuse me”, but managed to add “I had to get that one out.” Add that to her line about the stinky fruit probably smelling “like a bag of farts” and I literally shook my head at the TV. Anna’s bathroom humor & belching aren’t normal behavior choices for most adolescents, let alone teenagers.

It’s almost like she channels Alex and his immaturity at times, undoubtedly in a desperate approach for some warmth from Amber. That is a relationship that baffles me. I don’t know what goes on between them or if Trent is “the nice parent”, but if Anna really doesn’t know how to show her parents her mature side, then maybe she needs therapy to learn how to try to communicate with them, especially Amber. I agree with those who have said the parents need therapy, but I’d hate to see Anna suffer or be miserable because she can’t get through to her parents. 

If Anna were my kid, I’d be terrified of her going to Russia, especially if it was a solo trip. If Anna doesn’t even keep track of her learner’s permit or even realize it’s a necessity to practice driving, I’d be all kinds of irritated.  Poor Anna might get stuck in Russia if she lost her passport, ID or plane/train tickets during a moment of flightiness. 

It’s almost like she’s an 18 year old stuck in a 10 year old’s body. These are the times that make me super curious about humans and how important the first few years of life play in terms of overall personality along with the whole “nature vs nurture” debate.

Edited by Bridget
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Can anyone fill me in on the fate of that poor suffering cat on the garage floor?  I'm tempted to give up TLC because they air that moment constantly.  I will not be watching.

I know! They have run that ad for I swear more than two weeks. I was expecting to see what happened last week. Hopefully it's this week so the ad will stop!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Mollysmom said:

I think they are just baiting people - most commercials advertising upcoming shows like this like to create drama - then when you actually watch, it's nothing. 

Amber says something like it's leg just popped out.  Cats just don't spontaneously dislocate their legs.  I just don't want to deal with it.  I'm still dealing with a dog and cat loss, and I can't believe they show the poor thing laying there suffering.

Alex has really gained a lot of weight. I am watching the new shows and I can't get over how much weight he has put on. Liz has also packed on a few pounds but not as much as Alex.  Alex seems a bit insecure and I am wondering if he finds comfort in food.

• Love 1

Alex doesn't wanna go canoeing and only wants the lemonade and cookies at the end...surprise, surprise.

The stuff with River hit home. We lost a cat with a broken leg, her name was Emma. She was just over a year old. Her sister, Chloe, is 11 now. We still miss her. I feel for them.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Sammydoodle said:

Alex has really gained a lot of weight. I am watching the new shows and I can't get over how much weight he has put on. Liz has also packed on a few pounds but not as much as Alex.  Alex seems a bit insecure and I am wondering if he finds comfort in food.

I went on Liz's Instagram, and she lost about 30lbs. Amber has gained a lot weight. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Hero said:

I went on Liz's Instagram, and she lost about 30lbs. Amber has gained a lot weight. 

I just took a look, too and Liz looks fantastic and not just because of the weight loss-she looks radiantly happy.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Amber says something like it's leg just popped out.  Cats just don't spontaneously dislocate their legs. 

My understanding was that it was an open fracture. Sadly, River's heart stopped during surgery.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Ina123 said:

My understanding was that it was an open fracture. Sadly, River's heart stopped during surgery.

That’s horrible. I’m so glad I didn’t watch.  Was River an inside/outside cat?  I keep my cats strictly indoor where they’re safe and I can keep my eye on them. 

• Love 6

It was touching to see the girls show so much love for their pet. Stating the pets are part of the family, regretting not saying a proper goodbye, and providing a proper burial. They are kind hearted young women.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, TipseyGirl said:

So, they mentioned all their current animals last night after River's passing. There's Tom and Walker, who are cats and Jessie, the big dog. What happened to Louie the Frenchie??

That is right, they did have the other dog...I wonder if anyone who has IG can ask them that.   

4 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

That’s horrible. I’m so glad I didn’t watch.  Was River an inside/outside cat?  I keep my cats strictly indoor where they’re safe and I can keep my eye on them. 

I couldn't bring myself to watch either, and cringed each time I saw the promo. I was hoping it was simply creative editing and that everything would be okay for River. I too keep my cats indoors to keep them as safe as possible.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Pretty sure she and the other cats are outside pets with access to the garage. My cats have always been indoor pets. I would worry myself to death that another animal would get to them or they would get hit by a car.

• Love 6

I noticed that Amber hates when someone tells her to do something or proves her right. Her and Alex are the most obnoxious people on the show. They are both constantly in a bad mood and they bring the energy down in any situation they are in. 

• Love 6
On 12/5/2018 at 6:07 PM, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

That is right, they did have the other dog...I wonder if anyone who has IG can ask them that.   

I happened to see a TLC post on FB this morning about the Johnstons dealing with River's loss and several people have asked about Louie.  I haven't seen any answers, though.

• Love 2
On 12/6/2018 at 10:27 AM, backhometome said:

Alex is the most annoying kid ever. Whines non stop and never wants to do anything. 

I wonder if some of Alex's grips are for the camera. Esp the food requests.  It gives him a "part" so to speak in each episode that already has 4 other child stars.

Yes, Amber and Trent have limited funds, but that boy knows good and well he gets meals. I would also think if Alex did his gripping off camera as much as he does it on camera, Trent would shut that down quick.

Now on the fears , yes we all have fears. But he gets tuned up just a little too much, too often, on too many different events. Its hard to say should Amber/Trent draw a hard line (ie make him do it anyway w/o the griping) , or,  should they just let him sit out and he can watch others have fun-but he is not to spoil it for the rest by making unnecessary comments.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
On 12/6/2018 at 4:49 PM, Hero said:

I noticed that Amber hates when someone tells her to do something or proves her right. Her and Alex are the most obnoxious people on the show. They are both constantly in a bad mood and they bring the energy down in any situation they are in. 

Say louder for the people in the back!

You could tell Anna has had enough of Alex lol Amber just enables his behavior, Trent said it she babies them and she’s proud of it cause she likes that control.

• Love 3