Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Olivia "Liv" Moore was a disciplined, over-achieving medical resident who had her life path completely mapped out... until she is turned into a zombie. Now stuck somewhere between half-alive and undead, Liv loses her drive and ambition. She breaks off her engagement with charming soul mate Major, fearful of infecting him with her condition. Liv transfers her medical residency to the city morgue in order to access the only form of sustenance left available to her - the only thing that allows her to maintain her humanity - brains. There are side effects to Liv's new diet: With each brain Liv consumes, she experiences "visions" - flashes of the corpse's memories - which often provide clues as to how they were killed. Her boss, the brilliant but eccentric Dr. Ravi Chakrabarti, encourages her to embrace this gift and to work with unproven homicide detective, Clive Babineaux, to help solve these murders. In doing so, Liv finds a measure of peace, and a new sense of purpose in what her "life" has now become.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnCZ6Tu3lp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTkuziJHymk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOONQw3tkZk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBS_YgHTSJw

Yeah- I'm just being  cynical here. Chew was post to have a show on Showtime so I just wonder if a other network heard this and looked for something along those same lines to greenlight a other poperty that might be similar to network TV.

• Love 1

It's based on a comic itself!

I read the first ten issues way back when, and was disappointed -- it had a lot of interesting ideas, but I thought it was trying too hard to be cool and hip and edgy (also, it was clearly written with an eye toward a future movie/tv show). But maybe the series will be better.

Edited by beadgirl

Well, it certainly isn't going to stick close to the comics, from what I've gleaned.

Yeah, the comic was full of vampires, weredogs, mummies, etc. The series seems to just be sticking to the zombies.

I thought the comic was a lot of fun, if a bit too busy a lot of the time. Allred's art was great, of course. It's a shame it was cancelled.

I loved it. I really loved her relationship with the Medical Examiner. I forget his name, but he's cool. I genuinely believes he wants to cure her. I think I could get used to bad ass zombies instead of zombies you have to shoot in the head.

• Love 6

I liked it!  Very different from the comic, both in the actual plot, character, and world-building elements and in its attitude.  I found Liv in particular to be a great character -- smart, thoughtful, sad, earnest -- it would have been so easy to make her snarky and cynical and totally irritating, but they didn't.  And I like that she has a genuine ally in her coworker; he was great too.

• Love 6

I liked the pilot.  It has a lot of potential.  My fave character was the other medical examiner, but I really like Liv, too.  I wasn't expecting her on the hood of the car at the end.

• Love 1

I wasn't sure I'd like this, but since I like  Rose McIver and had become a fan of Hannibal, I gave this a try.

Even DH, who as a rule doesn't enjoy horror, enjoyed this and we chuckled at "Cagney and Pasty"!

I love Liv's boss so much! What a refreshing type! A boss who is genuinely thoughtful and understanding and one who will certainly be a player going forward.

Babeneau is so cool too. I do hope they level with him soon. There are too many genre shows where folks are keeping secrets Because Reasons/Shut up that's why!

I felt for Liv when she saw Major playing the zombie-killing video game, but? She broke off their engagement and gave him no time for five months. What is he supposed to do?  ( I was afraid that he was doing the roommate or Liv's mom, so I'm glad that wasn't the case.)

I want to like the roommate. I  know this is just the first episode, so I'll keep that ember  going.

At first, I thought the red was because of her zombie state wrt the klepto thing.  Should that have been the big "duh!" clue? That Tatiana stole red items, but Parry's ring couldn't have been?

Anyhow, I found myself very engaged and entertained! I may switch what I watch live. I love Agents of SHIELD- and things are nutty in a good way there- but unless this show dips in entertainment value, I thinkI'm in for CW Tuesdays.

• Love 6

damn, that was good. And yes, count me in for hearing kristen bell on some of those voice overs. I mean, this show basically is a veronica mars variant isn't it?  And I love it. Based on the previews I wasn't sure about the actress who plays Liv but she was basically awesome. I can't wait to re-watch this tomorrow.

• Love 3

I did hear Kristen Bell in the beginning then Rose McIver made it her own. I enjoyed this, I do like they got the introductions out of the way quickly so we could get to the story. I wonder how long they are going to go with the psychic bit. Because she may not be psychic but she has having visions so not a complete lie. I also wonder if her family is going to find out if she keeps helping solve cases. 

I love her boss was like "yeah, I figured out you were a zombie months ago and have been dying to ask you questions"

The fact that I'm thinking in I wonders means I'm already invested. So I'm in. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

I'm in too. I totally was hearing Kristen Bell as well. But I'm totally down to watch Veronica Mars became a zombie and went to med school instead of Quantico. For a pilot I thought this was pretty good. Lots of exposition out of the way, intriguing hints of another zombie woven in, support network established etc. love her boss.

• Love 3

This show was funny, quirky, and had a lot of life to it. I think I'm in for the duration. I like that they got the exposition and set-up out of the way with minimal effort and focused more on worldbuilding.

• Love 2

I liked it. I wasn't familiar with the comics, but after reading a description, it sounds like they just took the name & none of the plot. Anyway, I'm in. I do hope that her roommate finds out at some point though, it would be nice if she had a friend she could talk to.

Honestly, I never read the comics or even seen Veronica Mars (I know!), but hearing Rose McIver (loved her as Tinkerbell on Once Upon A Time and still remember her from way back in Hercules), David Anders, and Malcolm Goodwin (sniff... Breakout Kings) were in this, made made decide to give it a try.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty enjoyable pilot.  Maybe not seeing VM yet helped, because I didn't find myself comparing McIver to Kristen Bell, and I thought McIVer was great as Liv.  It's weird since sometimes snarky characters can be too much for me, but I thought she had the right balance to make it not too bad.  Plus, becoming a zombie is a decent enough of an excuse to be a little bit of a wiseass.

The supporting cast was solid; highlights were her boss (not familiar with the actor, but he was really fun) and Clive, thanks to Goodwin.  Also fun seeing Ty Olsson from The 100 as Pratt/the killer.  Peyton and Liv's mom had potential.  Major/the ex was a bit of a bore, but that might change (although, is that is actual name and not a title?  Never heard someone calling their child Major.)  Not much of Anders in this one, but judging from the final scene, I think he'll be playing a big part in this season.

A lot of decent line and funny moments.  I also hope they keep doing the thing where each post-commercial break opening scene is done in comic form.  Thought that was a nice touch.

So, yeah, I'm in for now.

• Love 1

Add me to the list of people who heard Veronica in the voiceovers, but I loved and miss VMars, so I don't mind at all. I laughed quite a few times and I liked Ravi and Clive a lot (didn't see enough of anyone else to really judge, although I enjoyed Aly Michalka in Hellcats and Easy A and hope she gets more to do here). I liked the show a lot more than I expected to after watching the promos. I'm definitely in.

Also, is it weird that I find zombie Liv more attractive than human Liv?

• Love 4

Yep, Veronica Mars died and became a zombie, and who doesn't love that? Definitely got the VM vibe with the voiceovers and the kickass little blond. She carried a messenger bag (does anyone remember how every single VM viewer bought that bag from American Eagle?). And crashed the car into a tree to get away from the bad guy. And Cliff was there.

I can't blame Rob for trying a similar formula again after the way VM ended. But I do hope this show forges its own path soon. I do see differences in Liv -- she's more hopeful and less cynical than Veronica, probably because her circumstance isn't as horrible as Veronica's was when that show started.

So far I like all the supporting characters, particularly Liv's boss and Babineaux, and I hope they tell Babineaux about the zombie situation soon -- from the promo it appears they will.

Can't watch the brain eating scenes. Nope. Nope. Not happening.

• Love 3

I liked it and agree with the people who heard Veronica Mars in the voice overs. It was also nice to see Cliff as the weatherman. I know that's not his real name but I'm often bad at remembering actors' names so I'll often refer to previous characters that I saw them play. And with Rob Thomas as the creator I'm assuming that there are more people here who remember him as Cliff than as Gordy.

That was pretty fun. Not perfect, and I didn't immediately fall head over heels with it, unlike Veronica Mars pilot, but I'm definitely in. The three main characters are all OK, Liv is a very likable lead (Rose McIver was a great casting), the humor, the premise - all great.

What I'd change are the supporting cast - mother, brother, roommate and ex-fiance. Maybe just leave two of them, not four. Mother especially is really annoying. And I hope Major wouldn't be treated as a legitimate love interest because I can already tell it's going to be Duncan all over again.

Also: yay, Cliff! Always nice to see familiar faces.

All pumped up for David Anders next week. I'm almost positive I'm going to love his character. He plays a great bad guy.

Major/the ex was a bit of a bore, but that might change (although, is that is actual name and not a title?  Never heard someone calling their child Major.)

His full name is, wait for it, Major Lilywhite.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 6

I am cautiously optimistic (and will stick around no matter what because it's Rob Thomas).  I am going to have to re-watch this episode again to see if I can get past the Veronica Mars overlay.  I spent most of this episode hearing and seeing Veronica (hoodies, trauma induced hair cut, snark, and voiceovers) and trying to figure out whose voice the other characters were speaking in (if Major is Duncan, and the cop is Weevil, is Ravi Wallace or is he Mac? And will David Anders be Logan?).   

I'll happily watch a Veronica Mars redux, but I hope this will find a more unique voice as they spend more time with these characters. 

I don't really mind the VM similarities, probably because I love that show to death (well, except for season 3 and Duncan). Not to mention that this kind of dramedy with snarky dialogue is generally my preferred genre (I'm also a big Whedon fan).

if Major is Duncan, and the cop is Weevil, is Ravi Wallace or is he Mac? And will David Anders be Logan

Babineaux is more like Keith Mars crossed with Weevil. And Ravi is Wallace and Mac put together, but without a sidekick role.

• Love 2

I think the thing people may have to remember is that when they think they're hearing Kristen Bell, they're ACTUALLY hearing Diane Ruggiero.

Maybe thinking of it that way will help the transference problem.

• Love 4

I liked it.  Yeah, so it's Zombie Veronica Mars, sprinkled with some Pushing Daisies, Tru Calling and Chuck.  It's also not very similar to the comic it's based on.  But those are not bad things.

Rose McIver is perfect as the lead and Rahul Kohli seems like a hoot as her boss.  Hopefully there's plenty more of their dynamic in future episode.  Wasn't quite sold on the cop or her family members though, but we'll see how that pans out.  Especially on the cop, since it would appear he's going to be a pretty central character.

I really liked the pilot! The characters are fun and the cast is great. Compared to the Veronica Mars pilot, I don't think they've fleshed out Liv (there's a zombie pun in there somewhere) as well as they did Veronica. Because of this, there was sort of a disconnect when Liv became determined to solve the murder because I didn't really understand her investment. Veronica had faced this series of traumatic events that really shaped her as a character and made her impulsiveness and passion understandable. Right now from Liv, all I'm getting is "goddamn boat parties, am I right?" I do look forward to seeing her develop because I trust Thomas/Ruggiero, and Rose McIver seems really talented.

• Love 1

although I enjoyed Aly Michalka in Hellcats and Easy A and hope she gets more to do here). 

Thank you, I was trying to figure out why the roommate looked so familiar. Didn't recognize her as brunette. 

I thought they did a good job explaining why Liv was suddenly invested, she saw and felt the girl die that made her want to find the killer. I liked it enough that I will probably watch it again. I only do that with shows I really like. 

Although Liv Moore and Major Lilywhite, trying for subtle aren't we.  

• Love 3

What's really promising is at least a few of the really good reviews of the show out there seem to be based on reviewers who have seen at least four episodes (The NY Times review, for example).  

That's very reassuring.

The important thing now... is probably the ratings.

• Love 6

They got me with David Anders, although sounds like he's not in the pilot?

He's in the pilot during the zombie attack scene, he's the one offering her drugs in the first flashback.  He also chases her off the boat in another attack flashback where he is obviously a zombie.  I never remember the actor's name when I see him, my reaction is always "Sark!"

Edited by Morgan of Hed
  • Love 3

Also, is it weird that I find zombie Liv more attractive than human Liv?

Nope, I totally agree with that as well.  Human Liv is attractive, zombie Liv is more attractive.

This is the first pilot of the season that I've immediately watched, instead of letting them pile up and seeing how the ratings do before committing.  I loved Veronica Mars, so of course I had to try Rob THomas

• Love 2

I must admit that this pilot reminded me of Tru Calling.

Yeah, I got a total Tru Calling vibe from iZombie last night.  They even seem to be incorporating David Anders in the Jason Priestly role...although it's way too early to tell for sure.

It was OK, nothing great buy I'll give it a few episodes to find itself before making a final decision. I will say the big selling point for me was David Anders so we'll have to see what they do with him. I did have a laugh last night when i finally realized that the Bearded Pig was Benny from Supernatural which got my attention...oh cool Benny's on this show as a cop, cool I loved him on SPN...oh no, bye Benny...

He's in the pilot during the zombie attack scene, he's the one offering her drugs in the first flashback.  He also chases her off the boat in another attack flashback where he is obviously a zombie.  I never remember the actor's name when I see him, my reaction is always "Sark!"

Yeah, I made that comment yesterday afternoon after reading the preview, I really wish they didn't link their article comments to the episode threads but what can you do.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

I'm going to out myself really quickly - I've never seen Veronica Mars, and cannot remember the last CW/WB show I watched. I don't watch "live" TV - due to crazy schedules, 99% of what I watch is DVR or Netflix. Even Jeopardy! The only exception is really when my husband says he might be on the news.

Which is why it was all the more shocking that I stumbled on this and then settled in to watch last night. But I'm so glad I did! I really enjoyed the show. I was describing it to my sister-in-law this morning as "like first season Psych, if Shawn was undead, and Gus was the one TRYING to get him to take jobs"

So, the red klepto thing... someone mentioned upthread that perhaps we were supposed to know Tatiana didn't steal the ring because it wasn't red and she only swiped crimson curios. It was obvious Liv was only palming red things (and powerless to resist a cherry red item in her field), but was that from Tatiana or just the kleptomania itself? I thought perhaps the red had to do more with the zombi-filter. Like how her eyes were all red when she got into FRENZY territory at the end. (Oh, no... these zombies are like Twilight vampires - red eyes if evil, dreamy eyes if redeemed. Ugh. Darn Stephanie Myers, appropriating tropes and sledgehammering them until any use of standards seem Twilight-related!)

And I loved Ravi. First question - "Why hot sauce?!"

• Love 2

Zombie Liv is hotter than human Liv. Not many people can pull of that bleached blonde look but she does. 

I am waiting for more David Anders and the reviews say he has a big part being that he's her maker. I'm looking forward to that. Not really feeling the ex-fiance he seems to bland and perfect. The family would be okay in small doses. I also thought that Liv would scare the kids by turning on her actual zombie face. But I did like that she was just having fun. 

I like that people comment on her pasty dead look but don't say much because they are mostly like whatever if that's what you want to look like, it's not our job to judge. 

• Love 3

I like to give new shows a try and for most, I either don't come back or I tuned out before the pilot even finishes. But I was totally in watching this show, and it didn't seem like a pilot to me, it was like a full-fledged mid-season episode. I loved every minute of it, the actors, the dialogue, the plot ... it's fun and so well-done. Count me in every week, this is one of the best shows now on teevee IMO.

Stealing all the red things was a hoot, and I thought that had something to do with being a zombie. So I'm disappointed that's over. But the cop having a red stapler ... LOL to that.

Yeah, LOVE this show.

• Love 2

I was pleasantly surprised by this show. I'm going to watch some more.

So, the red klepto thing... someone mentioned upthread that perhaps we were supposed to know Tatiana didn't steal the ring because it wasn't red and she only swiped crimson curios. It was obvious Liv was only palming red things (and powerless to resist a cherry red item in her field), but was that from Tatiana or just the kleptomania itself? I thought perhaps the red had to do more with the zombi-filter. Like how her eyes were all red when she got into FRENZY territory at the end. (Oh, no... these zombies are like Twilight vampires - red eyes if evil, dreamy eyes if redeemed. Ugh. Darn Stephanie Myers, appropriating tropes and sledgehammering them until any use of standards seem Twilight-related!)

I thought she was only stealing red things as a side-effect of being a zombie.

I thought her returning the items was symbolic.

• Love 1

I thought she was only stealing red things as a side-effect of being a zombie.\

Yeah, like she was stealing because of eating the klepto's brain, but only stole red things because of her zombie influence. That makes sense. She wouldn't necessarily be attracted to the same things as the prostitute to steal.

LOL at her eating the Hellfire Cheetos, or whatever those were. I just know they were labeled as SUPER HOT!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1