Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Scarred

maraleia
  • Start Topic

First of all: UNACCEPTABLE, SHOW. UNACCEPTABLE. Since season one, I just wanted a show revolving around Lagertha and Siggy's adventures with their pet monk houseboy. I still had hope that could happen eventually. But man, Siggy got shafted. Not happy. Glad to see Thyri again, even if I still would have bet anything for the longest time that she was played by Leighton Meester. 

Heh. I can't help it. I kind of loved Kwenthrith this episode. The actress was much more understated and likable. Plus, that coup at the end was made more hilarious than tragic with everyone's reactions, particularly Ragnar and Ecbert. 

Favorite thing of the night: Ragnar being Ragnar all up in Ecbert's court. "I don't like you" to poor Sonny Boy (who can't seem to catch a break with anyone, not even his wife), the goofy helmet-wearing scene with Athelstan (because I really like Athelstan, but for some reason, I only actually find him interesting when he's with Ragnar), and the powwow with Ecbert.

I liked seeing all the political maneuvering and whatnot, as I've always been a fan of character studies, but am I the only one who felt there was something strange about this episode? I don't know what it is. It just seems like all the scenes were very short, and that even while nothing much happened, there was too much going on. Is this the natural result of having an ever-expanding cast and different story threads? LOST had the same issue, but it didn't feel as choppy most of the time to me. That, or time has made my opinion soften (though not on that finale, but I'm not going there). 

• Love 3

I'm liking Athelstan less and less by the episode. I anti-ship him and Judith. No, just no! All that storyline is making me feel is sympathy for Aethelwulf.

I loved King Ecbert putting that cheating tramp on the spot. That was fun. Haha. I love him in general. He's second only to Lagertha in my book.

Ragnar and King Ecbert bonding over their similarities was awesome.

The sequence with Siggy saving the boys was just gorgeous. Her face when she saw Thyri...

R.I.P Siggy. :(

WTF is up with Harbard? All I know, is that I need more!

Dude, I was not expecting both King Horik's son and Jarl Borg kin to show up.

Edited by Gumdrops
  • Love 5

Poor Siggy. :(

Realistically, there wasn't much of a future for her character but Jessalyn Gilsig was always terrific and got a lot out of her.  She'll be missed.

Great episode.  Enjoyed seeing the ill-advised hookups.  Kevin Durand was terrific as the Wanderer.

Ragnar shines again with his antics and bizarre twitching.  He could do that for an entire episode and it would still be awesome.  Ecbert is quickly becoming a favorite too and a good match for Ragnar.

Poor Mercia...having QUEEN Crazypants in charge.  Did love the way the end played out though.

I didn't expect Horik's son to show up but I remember the creator of Vikings talking about him.  His fate was revealed in either a deleted scene or maybe the extended European version of the season finale.  Maybe a deleted scene?

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3

You had to kill Siggy. WTF show? Just so Aslug doesn't have to take care of her sick child anymore. That's not a fair trade. 

I did love Ragnar and Ecbert's little talk about what kind of men they are. Kwenthrith poisoning her brother right in front of everyone and then everyone dumping out their drinks was great. She lives up to her name of being Princess Crazypants although it's Queen Crazypants now. Maybe Athelstan would've stayed had you not told him you know about him and Judith, Ecbert. 

I hope Lagertha kicks Kalf's ass. 

• Love 5

OMG, I cannot believe Siggy died, WTF?! She doesn't even get a cool funeral pyre send-off? No bueno, in my opinion.

I didn't mind the content heavy episode, but I'm not happy the Wanderer storyline was ended so abruptly. What was the point? Was the endgame just to get Siggy written out of the show?

Also, why do I have the sneaking suspicion Porunn is about to get kicked to the curb? When Bjorn said he'd still marry her, he didn't say it with much conviction.

Damn, I remember hearing something like this might happen, but I was still surprised when it suddenly dawned on me that Siggy was dying (probably the vision of her daughter.)  She wasn't my favorite, but I grew to sympathize with her, and kind of loved that she managed to keep on surviving, despite almost losing everything.  Plus, she had to sleep with Horik, which I wouldn't wish on anyone (love you Donal Logue, but you have to admit Horik was a creep with a capital C, buddy!)  If this is really it for The Wanderer story, that was an abrupt ending.  I'm not against Aslaug getting some since it's not like Ragnar's about remaining faithful, but you could have picked a better partner to do it with.

The entire party was almost made of win.  First, the introduction cracked me up, where Ecbert was practically like "Oh, hey son!  Nice to see you again.  Here's your wife who totally is banging my favorite priest.  Oh, hi Princess Crazypants!  Glad to see you and you weak brother are still in one piece.  Now, where is... RAGNAR!!!  Bro, I missed you!!"  Then, all the interactions.  Ragnar/Ecbert, Ragnar/Lagertha, Ecbert/Lagertha, Ecbert/Lagertha/Athelstan (loved when he put his arms around them, Lagertha was totally holding his hand to prevent potential boob-grabbing, but Athelstan was just letting all the pawing happen), and even the Lagertha/Rollo scene was fun.  Sure, Floki had to be the buzzkill, but at least there was some good Rollo eye-rolling shots over it.

And, then Kwenthrith just straight up poisons her brother, because, hey, Ragnar said his weaknesses would doom her, so why not take the most painful, dramatic way possible at fixing that problem?  And, yet, I was totally laughing at all the wine tossing and everyone's reactions.  From Rollo's "Whelp... that just happen.  No drink for me!", to Ecbert looking like he was more pissed about how are they going to get the stains out of the rug.  Yep, best party ever!

That said, this Athlestan/Judith stuff is easily the weakest part right now.  So boring and soapy, and Athlestan is becoming a big idiot.  He would have been better off taking Ragnar and Lagertha on that threesome way back in S1.  Only potential that is coming out of this is watching Ecbert troll him.

Bjorn is putting up a brave face now, but we'll see if his affections for Porunn are more then just for her looks.

So, Kalf's big plan is aligning himself with Horik's son and Jarl Borg's widow.  Basically, team up with almost everyone that the Lothbroks pissed off.  Could work, but if it just makes their bond even stronger, I'm putting money on the characters who are currently getting top billing.  Then again, The Seer's words about Lagertha still concern me...

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4

I'm sad to see Siggy go too. WTF was that with the Wanderer anyway? I don't get it.

Ecbert and Ragnar were great together. Another commonality they have: the hottest, most kick-ass woman around bestowing her body on them! Ecbert and Lagertha were superhot in that bedroom scene while being fully clothed whereas Athelstan and Judith were naked and boring.

I knew when they let Horik's son live last season that that was a big mistake.

• Love 2

I have enjoyed your company and the sex...Even so, although you have made me happy and fulfilled, I have come to understand that the only person you truly care for is yourself.

Greatest breakup speech ever? 

Lagertha, you guys. 

Also, RIP Sigs. I love you. 

Edited by Pogojoco
  • Love 19

Bjorn is putting up a brave face now, but we'll see if his affections for Porunn are more then just for her looks.

Ehhh, she wasn't very pretty to began with imo. But then the show has a tendency to try to make us think some of these characters are better looking than they are. Like with her and Aslaug and even Siggy in season 1.

• Love 2

So was The Wanderer supposed to be one of the gods?  Maybe I wasn't paying attention.

If I remember correctly both Harbard and "The Wanderer" are among the many, many names and titles attributed to Odin.There are legends of him traveling like a sort of Gandalf like figure, visiting everyone from Kings to common folk. Along with being the chief viking god,the Allfather he is also considered a god of Death. Now I kinda wanna go back and read more of the old stories

• Love 7

The Wanderer must be Death, nothing else makes sense. I cried when Siggy - who had never looked more beautiful to me as when her stark face disappeared into the icy water - saw the vision of her daughter and realized her fate. In the frame work of this show Siggy certainly got a heroes death, saving and sacrificing herself for the two children. Still I'll miss the character. 

• Love 9

Siggy! No!!!  I know this show isn't one to linger on things but I do hope that while it's the end of Siggy (WHY?!?!?!) that they do touch upon it in future episodes in some fashion. I want to see some reactions from the others.   I'M LOOKING AT YOU ROLLO! Because what was up with them in the first episode?  She did save Ragnar's precious sons (twice!) that he wanted so badly that he pretty much threw away Lagertha for.  She deserves a better send off even though it was shot beautifully. I did read that it was the actress' decision to leave the show so that makes me feel somewhat better about it all but it still sucks.  I really liked Siggy and I honestly didn't expect to when the show first started.

Lagertha needs to take care of her business back home. And really stop taking everyone at their word.

• Love 2

Nooooooo!  Not Siggy!!!!  Although the sequence was beautifully filmed, and I knew the ice was going to crack under those boys, I still gasped when it did. 

I racked my brain trying to think of who the mysterious guess would be, never expecting Horik's son.  And I loved the scene at the end when they toasted and then dumped their wine on the ground.  They all know what a nut case Kwenthrith is.

I hope we're not done with the Wanderer, because my husband and I both agreed that has been the most interesting part of the show so far.

And add me to the list of those that don't really care for Althesan any more.  I also like him best when he's interacting with Ragnar.   However, Floki made the comment last night about "who it was" who brought the English gods to them, so I am guessing they are setting up some sort of conflict between him and Althesan since he's decided to go back with Ragnar.

Although it was absolutely gorgeous to look at the way it was staged and shot, I'm more than a little pissed that Siggy had to die so the ever useless Aslaug could go all Lori Grimes of the dark ages and be off having sex rather than keeping track of her own kids.  I'm also really annoyed if that's all there was to the wanderer story.

Dear show, please get Athelstan out of this ridiculous romancing the princess story.  It's making him look utterly careless and stupid and not at all the character I've loved so much over 2 1/2 seasons.  The only time last night that he really felt in character was in the ONE scene he got with Ragnar, and Ecbert trolling Judith for being the devoutly faithful wife is the only entertaining thing to come of it.

Lagertha continues to be made of awesome, both in her "breakup" with Ecbert and the way she and Ragnar were circling each other in the palace, which was a great callback to the scene last season of them doing the same thing on horseback that remains one of the sexier things I've seen on TV.  Ragnar and Lagertha will never not have smoking chemistry with each other, no matter who they're married to or sleeping with, and they have each other's number quite well.

Princess Crazypants' poisoning of her brother was entertaining as hell, from the way she faked him into believing all was forgiven right up to the end to Ragnar and Ecbert's reaction of tossing the cups and shrugging "well, that happened."  She's going to be more of a handful than the docile puppet Ecbert was hoping for. Ecbert and Ragnar's talk about the kind of men they are was also really nice done.

Floki this episode managed to finally hit the status of annoying teenager at the family gathering who clearly doesn't want to be there and is going to punish everyone present for it, right down to the smeary eyeliner and blaming everyone else for his unhappiness.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 12

At this point I'm not really sure how the Kaf/Horik's son/Jarl Borg's wife alliance will play out. I can't imagine they could amass a big enough army to defeat the Lothbroks and Kaf is no Laegartha.

On another note I am so excited for Paris! I wonder if that will play out this season or next.

Ugh! I'll bet Aslung is now preggers with Wanderer's kid. Ugh.

ETA: Oh no! What if Judith is pregnant with Athelsten's baby and Egbert realizes it and uses the kid to control Athelstan! oh my god!

Edited by PityFree

Nooooooo!  Not Siggy!!!!  Although the sequence was beautifully filmed, and I knew the ice was going to crack under those boys, I still gasped when it did. 

I hope we're not done with the Wanderer, because my husband and I both agreed that has been the most interesting part of the show so far.

maraleia posted a link in the media thread here to an interview with the actor who plays Siggy.  It was her choice to leave the show because of family reasons.  Otherwise there were no plans originally to kill her off in Season 3.  See a partial quote below to wet your appetite and go to the media thread for the whole article which was really interesting.

"How did you find out Siggy was being killed off?

In truth, I told them. I had some personal things in my life that only I could be there for, some family things, which everybody has sometimes. So I approached [Vikings creator] Michael Hirst and said that living over in Ireland at that point in my life was impossible for me. It's time that I have to move on. He was incredible about it. It was really sad and difficult and an incredibly hard decision, as you can imagine. I told him at the end of season two and he said he really wanted to take Siggy out, to give her proper closure. Of course I wanted to do the same and so he came up with this storyline to end Siggy."

She also said in the interview that Siggy wasn't going to be forgotten amongst the Vikings and that the Wanderer's storyline isn't through.  Not spoiler stuff.  Just a kind of "stay tuned" there is more stuff a-coming" type of comment.

Also a lot of details about how the scene was filmed, what was going on in the scene etc.  In other words it wasn't some fluff interview.  I usually don't bother with interviews but this one is totally worth it.  I'd recommend it as a read to everyone here and would like to thank maraleia for the link here.  All credit to her.

http://www.hollywood...n-gilsig-780235

Without that interview I would be trying to think of why they killed off Siggy when, like often on a TV series, it was real life that caused a change in the storyline.  And yes, Michael Hirst gave Siggy one hell of a great write-out.

Edited by green
  • Love 7

You had to kill Siggy. WTF show? Just so Aslug doesn't have to take care of her sick child anymore. That's not a fair trade.

Well, now, it's not so much to benefit Aslaug as it is to benefit Ivar, who is now free from his suffering. And since it also reunites Siggy with her family in Valhalla, it's a good deal all around, if you ask a Viking.

The eyerolling at Princess Kwenthrith's 'I love my brother, now watch him die' speech made me howl. And the wordless expressions of "yeah, maybe not swallow this drink in my hand" spreading around the room sealed the deal.

We haven't had that much sexytimes yet this season; I guess they wanted to give us a catch up! (Also: Kevin Durand and his abs can wander over my way any time!)

• Love 1

Okay about the non-Siggy stuff.

Best feast scene I've ever watched.  And I don't say "best whatever" lightly.  Just perfect in every way.  Ever character was awesome in it.  The scenes with Lagertha/Ecbert/Athelstan and Ragnar watching as he always does and on and on.  Loved loved loved Ragnar and Ecbert's little talk especially.  The parallel storylines actually shown up close and in person.  And finally the "Yo, my name is Queen now!" Kwenthrith ending was hilarious with all the actors tone perfect with the wine tossing. 

It's a scene like that that gives the viewers a great payoff for watching the heavy and sad scenes.  You know things will all fall apart.  They always do in history.  But we will always have this fantastic feast to remember.

And Rollo remains transformed from Rollo the Jerk (see first two seasons) to Rollo the Voice of Reason ... minus a brief regression due to magic mushroom munching.  What happened to the guy?  He's the only one who behaves diplomatically towards Aethelwulf what with Floki stabbing the prince mentally with his crazed eyes and even Ragnar not bothering to play his cards close to the vest and telling the dude he could never be part of Ragnar's Cool Kids Vikings Only Club.

Then he hears out both Floki and Ragnar and chooses Ragnar's "we have to be realistic and move forward" pov.  What is up with this former drunken, jealous of his brother dude who has morphed into Mr Rational.  Wonder since Lagertha will be needing a new right hand man to take Kalf's place soon if Rollo might be interested.  No Siggy left and he did have a thing for Lagertha in the past.

I knew King Horik's kid Erlander would show up sooner than later so assumed he was the guy when Kalf mentioned someone was coming.  But I didn't see him marrying the second wife of Jarl Borg though.  At least he didn't marry Borg's first wife ... the skull Borg used to carry around with him.  Interesting the look Erlander gave Kalf when Kalf made a big deal of Baby Borg being Jarl Borg's biological son.  Like maybe those two may not become the bestest of friends ever.  Just a feeling ... I'm not spoiled about anything here.

Back to Aethelwulf.  First time he was shown trying to be a bit tolerant.  Glad they didn't stay with the one-dimensional, intolerant religious bigot he was shown to be up until this point.  But, except for Rollo, he got slapped down for it.  Then he sees Judith and Athelstan together at the end.  Guy now has some real anti-Viking motivation going forward it seems.

And meanwhile, poor Floki.  His whole world and the whole meaning of his life is falling apart before his eyes.   Looks like he is about ready to pack-up for an Iceland or Bust voyage sooner than later.  

Looks like next week stuff falls apart quickly.  But this week, great payoff scene with that feast.  And wonderful sendoff scene for Siggy.  This is an episode I will be happy to re-watch anytime.

Edited by green
  • Love 2

I'm glad to read that the Wanderer isn't through yet and yes, I was pleasantly surprised to see what a smoking hot bod he had. I wasn't expecting that, lol.

Athelstan better be careful, I think he's seen as more of a pet than an equal. I'm not sure how far Ragnar would go to save him if the sh*t hit the fan over his affair with Judith.

I'm predicting things will end badly for Kalf. He's only big and bad now because the real power players are over in England.

• Love 2

Floki this episode managed to finally hit the status of annoying teenager at the family gathering who clearly doesn't want to be there and is going to punish everyone present for it, right down to the smeary eyeliner and blaming everyone else for his unhappiness.

Ha! Totally.

Poor Siggy. She was awesome. And her death scene was so beautiful. I'm glad she's back with her family now. And I'm glad that all of Ragnar's kids are going to be okay. Ivar's pain is gone. I can't even imagine how hard it would be to take care of a disabled child in Viking times. 

• Love 2

And Kalf isn't a tough name like Ragnar or Rollo. :-)

Most murderers use poison because it can be a surreptitious way to kill, but, damn, if Princess Cray-Cray didn't use poison in the most obvious way.

Floki's wife needs to stay out of his eyeliner. The raccoon eye look doesn't do her justice.

Watching Siggy dive into the hole in the ice with no hesitation was when the waterworks started here. Her nearly rapturous smile at seeing her daughter made me glad I was watching this morning while m. caprice is at work because he would've been laughing at my sob at that moment. I'm going to miss Siggy every week.

While it wasn't totally unexpected, I was still surprised to see Son of Horik again.

I'm going to be very interested in the eventual invasion of Paris. I've missed seeing Rollo in action.

• Love 2

Erlander was a smarmy little backstabbing King Joffrey wannabe with nothing to back it up last season, so if he's Kalf's secret ace in the hole in what will obviously be the coming war with Ragnar and Lagertha, he's even dumber and more out of his element than I gave him credit for being.  Hope you like blood eagles, sport, and please stop using it as a verb.

I completely missed why Erlander's marrying the widow of Jarl Borg who wasn't a magic skull was supposed to be some sort of selling point.  Yes, she had Borg's infant son, but Ragnar and crew wiped out most of the fighting men who would have had any loyalty to Borg last season in the retaking of Kattegut and I can't imagine there are a lot of Viking warriors out there who are going to interested in taking up arms for a baby anyway.  The whole thing seems like a really half-assed challenge to Lagertha at best.  Are we really expected to believe that every time they went raiding, they had to put up with every two-bit earl wannabe moving in on their turf?  It's a wonder any of them managed to go at all.

Ugh! I'll bet Aslung is now preggers with Wanderer's kid. Ugh.

ETA: Oh no! What if Judith is pregnant with Athelsten's baby and Egbert realizes it and uses the kid to control Athelstan! oh my god!

Fertile Myrtle getting pregnant would make sense and I actually wouldn't mind. I was almost annoyed at Aslaug over her 'not caring about her children' actions, but then I realized, Harbard was controlling her somehow. It was like she was in some kind of freaking trance. This whole 'Wanderer' storyline is so intriguing and I'm glad it's not over.

Hell to the no at Judith getting pregnant though. Then we'd be stuck with her (unless the show gave us a mercy and had her die in childbirth). I feel like the show wants us to root for Judith/Athelstan for some reason, but screw them. I'm rooting for Aethelwulf now and whatever he and daddy can cook up. I highly enjoyed King Ecbert trolling them about the whole thing.

I know Floki is acting like a petulant brat, but I honestly see where he's coming from. If he wasn't such a religious bigot I might even be on his side.

Edited by Gumdrops

Floki only ever seems happy when he's miserable. Life was too good with his wife and baby so now he needs to stir up the shit and get everybody angry and fighting,

I hate that you can tell HIstory cut out some scenes. Like when did they discover what happened to Siggy and why did Aslaug turn against the Wanderer? Did she understand that the Wanderer killed Siggy to save her son? And were the boys under some kind of spell to go on that ice? There was something off about them on the ice. I kept waiting to see that the boys weren't really there.

• Love 2

I know I'm in the minority on this but each episode makes me like Floki  less and less.  He's mean and he's creepy and I'm not at all convinced that he's even loyal.  Between the false voice when he speaks and wearing more guyliner than David Bowie in the '70s, he's one character whose death would entertain me.  Wouldn't miss him a bit.

• Love 7

I think Floki is annoying but essential as a character. There's a strong theme of Paganism vs. Christianity in the plotlines and Floki is like the human form of Ragnar's inner struggle between keeping it real and playing nice with Ecbert so his people can prosper. With no Floki it's just one big happy family in Wessex. You need a shitstirrer to make things interesting.

• Love 10

Rollo is just chilling, biding his time until they invade Paris and he can marry his Frankish princess and found the Norman dynasty.

Ragnar and Ecbert are so great together. Ecbert is right - they understand each other. I also enjoy Ragnar and Lagertha doing the dance of old lovers. Travis Fimmel plays Ragnar like a squirrelly Jax Teller with a mild case of ergotism.

The reaction shots to Princess Crazypants poisoning her brother were priceless. King Aelle was pissed; everybody else just looked impressed. Ragnar totally planted that seed in her head to begin with. Having a strong queen of Mercia serves his interests in that it keeps Ecbert distracted.

Poor Siggy. Jessalyn Gilsig was perfection as always, I'll miss her. After his story about siring the Russian prince, I would be surprised if The Wanderer just goes around shagging queens and making kings.

• Love 3

Fertile Myrtle getting pregnant would make sense and I actually wouldn't mind. I was almost annoyed at Aslaug over her 'not caring about her children' actions, but then I realized, Harbard was controlling her somehow. It was like she was in some kind of freaking trance. This whole 'Wanderer' storyline is so intriguing and I'm glad it's not over.

I didn't think Harbard was controlling her. I thought she was 'caring about her children', specifically Ivar. (I like Siggy, but I thought her comment was shitty.) It seemed to me that she was sleeping with Harbard as payment for him taking away Ivar's pain. She couldn't stop going to him because then the baby would start screaming. Aslaug is the Queen. She's used to servants and slaves looking after her children. The boys are older and just need enough supervision to not go playing on the frozen lake. Ivar is the one who needed her and, from her point of view, he needed her to keep Harbard happy so he'd keep taking away the pain. I get that. We added our first band member last May and, while he's healthy and never had colic, there are times when he gets upset and starts screaming that I would seriously consider doing anything, including murder, if that would make him stop.

• Love 2

Warning: There is no way to unsee the peeing-on-a-wound thing.

http://previously.tv/vikings/after-everyone-stopped-screwing-around-some-big-stuff-happened/"> Read the storyFew t

Looking at the historical Rollo, he took over Paris with a massive army and his descendants were the Normans that invaded England in 1066.

Given the talk of Paris this season, I'm guessing Show Rollo has got lots of story left. 

I love how, when not tripping on mushrooms, he's become so philosophical. Also enjoyed Floki accusing Rollo of letting the baptism take when Rollo is being calm and reasonable.  

Part of Aslaug's attraction to the Wanderer was helping Ivar but I also think part of it was because a man was paying attention to her. Ragnar basically told her he didn't love her earlier in the season, so she might be punishing him. She was neglecting their children (the older ones kept asking Siggy where she was even before they ran off) and also neglecting her duties she was supposed to perform in his place. 

I also think it's a reference to the story Lagertha told the couple in the first season (when she was acting as leader), where the husband was accusing the wife of getting pregnant by a vagabond who was working on their farm. Lagertha said the vagabond was a god, and the husband should feel grateful to have the son of a god in his house (or something along those lines...) 

Siggy was absolutely gorgeous in this episode. Every episode, there is at least one scene of breathtaking beauty. This week, it was the scene on the frozen lake. 

Edited by Pogojoco
  • Love 5

Athelstan better be careful, I think he's seen as more of a pet than an equal. I'm not sure how far Ragnar would go to save him if the sh*t hit the fan over his affair with Judith.

Considering that two seasons ago, Ragnar was ready to sacrifice him, probably not too far. : )

• Love 1

I noticed in the beginning of this episode that Siggy looked especially beautiful.  I guess I know why now.  RIP Siggy. 

I loved the feast and all the main participants, especially Ecbert, Ragnar, and Princess Krazypants.  I also love how Ragnar circles around Lagertha when he's flirting with her.  The first time he did it on his horse, I thought that was one of the sexiest scenes I've ever seen.  This one was also high on the list.

Speaking of Krazypants, I loved it when se squatted over Ragnar and the WTF look on his face.  I remember as a child having a fever blister on my lip and my aunt telling me to put a little of my pee on it.  I did and it dried up.  Don't know how it would work on a big, gaping wound like Ragnar's though.

Like some others, I'm guessing that Aslaug is pregnant with Wandering Baby.  I just wonder what Ragnar's reaction will be if/when that happens. 

I'm so disappointed in Atlelstan, to the point that I won't mind if anything bad happens to him, and that makes me sad to say that.  Honestly, at this point, I'm just readying myself for any of my favorite characters to get killed off. *sniff*

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 3

I'm so disappointed in Atlelstan, to the point that I won't mind if anything bad happens to him, and that makes me sad to say that.  Honestly, at this point, I'm just readying myself for any of my favorite characters to get killed off. *sniff*

I know. It's weird how at the start of the season Athelstan was one of my 'Do Not Touch' characters, but in the space of 4 episodes, he's become someone that it wouldn't bother me if they got rid of him at this point.

That's okay. I've still got Lagertha and King Ecbert. :)

• Love 2

I'll miss Siggy. I had a feeling she would die since there was so little of her in the promotion and they've said that the show's Rollo is the Rollo of history (so his story is heading away from her), but I didn't expect it to happen this soon. I'm glad she got to see Thyri again, and I hope the others acknowledge that she died a hero. I still have no idea what was going on with Harbard and the dead/almost-dead children, though.

Ragnar circling Lagertha was such a contrast to his indifference to Aslaug in the first episode. I understand why she ended up having an affair, to feel desirable again and out of thankfulness that someone else also tried to protect Ivar, but since it happened at the same time as Siggy dying to save her other children she was less sympathetic than she would otherwise have been.

The Erlendur reveal was ridiculous because it was so obviously a bad decision to spare the adult mini-Joffrey heir while killing the girls and children. The storyline got even worse with that addition. Kalf already looked out of place as viking, but Erlendur is even less intimidating (Joffrey was a horrible character played by an excellent actor, Erlendur is pure get-off-my-screen). Borg's wife was lucky to leave Kattegat with her son, but they're doomed now.

The feast was great, ending with the surprise poisoning and great wordless reactions (my winners: Ragnar and Ecbert). Aelle looked disgusted, so Kwenthrith isn't safe yet.

Well, now, it's not so much to benefit Aslaug as it is to benefit Ivar, who is now free from his suffering. And since it also reunites Siggy with her family in Valhalla, it's a good deal all around, if you ask a Viking.

Except that's not true in Norse lore, sadly. The only way to get to Valhalla, according to tradition, was to die in battle or childbirth (yes, the Vikings equated childbirth to battle, and rightfully so). If you died of illness (like Thyri), old age, or basically any other way than with a sword in your hand, you went to Hel -- which, interestingly enough, isn't our conception of Hell with two L's. There's not much said about it in the lore, I don't think, other than the fact that it's not a particularly pleasant place, but it's a far cry from eternal punishment in a lake of fire. Basically, Valhalla was your reward for doing what a brave and honorable Norseman was supposed to do.

That said, Haraldson would have gone to Valhalla, as would his sons (I think. Did they die in battle? I can't remember). Siggy *might* have, depending on who you ask and how liberal your definition of "battle" is. She did die a hero's death, at least, so that's probably a strong point in her favor. Poor Thyri, on the other hand...

For everyone worrying about Athelstan becoming a papa, Judith is already pregnant (supposedly). When Aethelwulf was leaving with Ragnar and co. for Mercia, he mentioned that she was pregnant. I'm going to assume she was being honest with him until proven otherwise.

Man. I still can't get over just how much I loved Princess Krazypants last night. Like I said earlier, the actress was much more subdued and not as scenery-chewing as usual, and it worked much better. I also can't get over Ecbert's and Ragnar's reactions when they realized what was happening. Ragnar was quietly amused, and Ecbert just seemed kind of annoyed -- not because he cared about Bergred or anything, but more because that was a waste of perfectly good wine. 

Oh, Athelstan. What are they doing to you? You were tied with Lagertha for my fave in season one. I really enjoyed you last season. Now I...I don't even know what to think, other than that he's like a totally different character. 

Floki can ship off to Iceland at any time now. No, really. He's annoyed me since season one, and he only becomes more and more insufferable with each episode. I get that he's a religious zealot and that he's undergoing some major culture shock, but he still grates on my nerves. 

Kalf can go anytime too. Sure, he's hot, but he's an idiot for not tweaking to the fact Lagertha's sweet on him. Why usurp her when you could have a badass warrior queen for a wife?

...I'm still rooting for Lagertha/Ecbert, assuming he's legit and genuinely into her not just for political reasons. I have no shame.

• Love 1
Kalf can go anytime too. Sure, he's hot, but he's an idiot for not tweaking to the fact Lagertha's sweet on him. Why usurp her when you could have a badass warrior queen for a wife?

...I'm still rooting for Lagertha/Ecbert, assuming he's legit and genuinely into her not just for political reasons. I have no shame.

I think he's something of a misogynist and doesn't like a woman being Earl. Remember his comments about her lacking 'something between her legs'? Otherwise, why wouldn't he be jumping at the offer to be her husband? Marrying her would've given him power (more-so than being Lagertha's right hand gave him) and basically made him the first man of Sedeby and all. Hell, his usurp would've probably been easier that way. Frankly, the whole thing and his weird reasoning has confused me since the beginning. He ain't very bright, that's for sure.

I'm still rooting for Lagertha/King Ecbert too. That bedroom scene was all kinds of adorable. They were fully clothed, and yet, oh so hawt.

Edited by Gumdrops
  • Love 1

She also said in the interview that Siggy wasn't going to be forgotten amongst the Vikings and that the Wanderer's storyline isn't through.  Not spoiler stuff.  Just a kind of "stay tuned" there is more stuff a-coming" type of comment.

I am sure that at least one character has a future date with the Wanderer/Odin 

famously with Ragnar in the snake pit

I think he's something of a misogynist and doesn't like a woman being Earl. Remember his comments about her lacking 'something between her legs'? Otherwise, why wouldn't he be jumping at the offer to be her husband? Marrying her would've given him power (more-so than being Lagertha's right hand gave him) and basically made him the first man of Sedeby and all. Hell, his usurp would've probably been easier that way. Frankly, the whole thing and his weird reasoning has confused me since the beginning. He ain't very bright, that's for sure.

I'm still rooting for Lagertha/King Ecbert too. That bedroom scene was all kinds of adorable. They were fully clothed, and yet, oh so hawt.

Exactly! Kalf obviously isn't a good guy or anything like what Lagertha deserves (she is the queen of my heart, and there is not a man worthy of her...except maybe the dark age equivalent of Tom Hiddleston, I guess), but he's going about this all wrong. She straight up asked him why he didn't marry her. Exerting power as a joint ruler or even usurping her as her husband would have been much easier than this harebrained scheme he's trying to pull. He isn't nearly as clever as he thinks he is, and I can't wait to see Lagertha stick his head on a pike and put it on display for everyone to see.

As someone else said in this thread (was it you?), Lagertha and Ecbert managed to be 100 times sexier and more entertaining to watch than fully naked and in-the-act Athelstan and Judith. Maybe it's because I actually like Lagertha and Ecbert together, while Athelstan/Judith does nothing for me. Maybe it's because they actually have chemistry together. Then again, Katheryn Winnick seems to have chemistry with everyone. It's a little uncanny. 

• Love 1

Considering that two seasons ago, Ragnar was ready to sacrifice him, probably not too far. : )

I've always read that as just the opposite.  Ragnar valued Athelstan from pretty early on as he realized how useful his knowledge of language and cultural practice would be in conquering the West, and it seemed like he came to respect him and crave his respect in return only a little after that.  So the would-be sacrifice felt like it would be a real sacrifice in the truest sense of the word because he was so desperate for more sons for his legacy.  Remember how they treated it as a great honor when Leif volunteered to take Athelstan's place.

Even so, I was a little surprised just how completely invested Ragnar was last season in Athelstan's fate after Horik had left him behind in Wessex and just how raw his desire to have his favorite former monk return with him was.  I don't believe he was being at all facetious when he told Athelstan in this season opener that he trusts him more than he trusts anyone else among his own people.  I think he respects him enough as a free person not to force him to return to Scandinavia if that's not really where his heart is, but he'd also take it as a huge personal affront if Ecbert or anyone of the Wessex crew did anything further to him.  I also think Ecbert knows that separate from his own complex feelings and motives where Athelstan is concerned.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 4

I am still trying to process Princess Cray-Cray peeing on Ragnar's wound!

Even though they parted on bad terms, I don't see Rollo taking Siggy's death too well!

I doubt Judith was Athelstan's first. He's adopted so many Norsemen ways and I am sure their attitudes toward sex was one of them. Lol.

I did a little research and apparently urine was something of a cure-all in ancient times. It was even used as a teeth bleaching agent by the Romans. It still shocked the hell out of me when Kwenthrith peed all over Ragnar though. All I could think was "I hope he brought a second set of clothes."

• Love 2

Exactly! Kalf obviously isn't a good guy or anything like what Lagertha deserves (she is the queen of my heart, and there is not a man worthy of her...except maybe the dark age equivalent of Tom Hiddleston, I guess), but he's going about this all wrong. She straight up asked him why he didn't marry her. Exerting power as a joint ruler or even usurping her as her husband would have been much easier than this harebrained scheme he's trying to pull. He isn't nearly as clever as he thinks he is, and I can't wait to see Lagertha stick his head on a pike and put it on display for everyone to see.

As someone else said in this thread (was it you?), Lagertha and Ecbert managed to be 100 times sexier and more entertaining to watch than fully naked and in-the-act Athelstan and Judith. Maybe it's because I actually like Lagertha and Ecbert together, while Athelstan/Judith does nothing for me. Maybe it's because they actually have chemistry together. Then again, Katheryn Winnick seems to have chemistry with everyone. It's a little uncanny. 

Remember the scene of Kalf in bed with 3-4 women when his "valet" awakened him to inform him his "guest" has arrived?  There is no way that Lagertha would permit him to have concubines.

Am I the only one who thought that when Ragnar came into the hall holding his white cup he had found the first Starbucks in Wessex?

I thought so too and wondered, with the dozens of production assistants, etc on hand, how anyone could not notice that Ragnar was holding a plastic or paper cup during the scene.  

Initially I didn't like the way Fimmel did the herky jerky movements and the weird tics, but I have come to adore it.  After watching him and Lagertha flirting with each other during the feast, I needed a cigarette.

• Love 1