Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E19: Kahania (Close Shave)

• Start Topic

Aw, the new shop got all shot up. :(

Seriously, NO ONE called the cops during what must have sounded like a USMC live fire exercise?!

And how many little kids went missing? Why was it never mentioned before? Or was it a throw away line somewhere i missed?

So what's the deal with Caan--is he looking to quit the show? :(

I liked the claustrophobic atmosphere created.  I appreciate when shows/movies can pull that off.  AOL and Michael Imperoli worked well together.  Although I don't buy McGarrett not having his phone on him.

• Love 3

If each of those pictures was of a missing child, why the Hell wasn't Five-O, and every other law enforcement agency on the island, investigating that 24-7? I thought the dad mentioned to McG about, "you've heard about all the kids missing from the neighborhood" so this had all happened since they moved to Honolulu? Yet we have never heard mention of it before.

When I read the plot for tonight's episode, I was positive that the kid in danger was going to be Steve's protege.

I think they should just write Danny out of the show (he can move to Las Vegas to be near Rachel) and beef up Grover's and Chin's roles. I don't care for Kono, I just don't buy her as this kick-ass cop that they want me to believe she is.

• Love 2

And a lot of momento stuff, too.  That was creepy.  I missed how barber guy defended himself, can someone fill me in?  It didn't completely stink but no way would I watch this on a regular basis.  No Dano no 5-0 to me. 

Jorge's doppleganger was hawt, that jaw should be on a romance novel. :)

I always love Bob Dylan references!! Especially ones that show they actually know something about Bob Dylan!

The bad guys' siege tactics were incredibly bad. You have a group of guys with machine guns against one lone gunman with a pistol. If you advance on him with cover fire, you WILL reach him and kill him. 

• Love 2

I had the same question for most of the episode: why are they just firing from a distance? They clearly out-number and out-gun Steve etc, so why are they botching the job? But in the end it was because they didn't want to kill McGarrett; they just wanted to get the kid. They had enough problems already, without also killing a cop.

But then I started to think: if they're gangsters who won't turn the kid in to the police, and would rather have a public shoot out that lasts all afternoon and runs the risk of making martyrs out of the gang, why was Daddy Gangster Boss so willing to confess the kid's crime and give Steve the evidence? Why didn't he just turn the kid in in the beginning if he wasn't averse to doing it in the end?

And yeah for sure: why have we never heard anything about this huge, huge number of missing children??

I have the sense that Caan and Park both want off the show. Kono always looks like she's phoning it in, and Danny is hardly ever around anymore and looks like he's going through the motions, too. At first, I was bothered by the idea of losing the characters, but at this point, I don't give a shit anymore. Just write and cast new people for the team and make them interesting. Get people who are talented, like both the crazy action and the snarky dialogue, and who are excited and grateful to have the job. It's always better to have motivated people in a role, instead of people who don't want to bet there for whatever reason.

Don't you put people in a line up as decoys only after making sure they have alibis? Isn't that the very point of a line up? You put in your suspect(s) but you also put in people you know for sure are innocent and can prove it, to make sure the accuser isn't just biased or unreliable? You don't pull people randomly off the street to participate in line ups, you vet them first. Right?  Otherwise, what's the point?

Also, I thought the bald assistant was going to be the perp-- wearing a wig to frame his cousin, and cover his own ass. I really thought there was going to be a twist somewhere in that whole storyline, but there wasn't, It was a straight line from A to B.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 4
(edited)

Aw, the new shop got all shot up. :(

Seriously, NO ONE called the cops during what must have sounded like a USMC live fire exercise?!

And how many little kids went missing? Why was it never mentioned before? Or was it a throw away line somewhere i missed?

So what's the deal with Caan--is he looking to quit the show? :(

To be honest, nobody on this side of the cameras/production (that I know of) knows what's going on with Scott & his more limited screentime on the show, really since sometime in S3 if I remember right. As far as I know, he's still under contract to CBS/the show & his contract should have the same amount of time left on it as Alex's does, or fairly close to it.

And I think Alex's contract has at least a season or 2 left on it, barring any unexpected nasty surprises from CBS during the current/upcoming round of renewal announcements for the 2015-2016 TV Season (earlier in the year/season CBS renewed 3 dramas that just premiered in Fall 2014--last Fall--Scorpion, Madam Secretary, & NCIS New Orleans; earlier this week they renewed 3 sitcoms--Mom, 2 Broke Girls, & Mike & Molly; & earlier this season they renewed The Big Bang Theory for *2* seasons). But, as far as I know, H50 has been winning its timeslot every week this season, or pretty close to it; so in my opinion we're hopefully good for renewal for S6.

Now back to Scott... Yes, he has a bunch of outside committments in LA--he's very close to his Dad, who lives there; he also apparently teaches/co-teaches at least 1 class at Playhouse West there, & they've also put on some of the plays he's written; he's also involved with LA-based charities which put on clinics to teach kids, & some adults I think, with various kinds of health issues/disabilities how to surf (granted, he can also do these in Hawaii & he has, in the past, getting involved with a similar charity founded by Hawaiian actor/surfer Kala Alexander, who has a recurring role in H50 as Kapu leader Kawika).

And now for the biggest, & most recent, thing on his proverbial "plate".

If you weren't aware, Scott's longtime partner/girlfriend, Kacy (who used to work in the Wardrobe Department on the show & apparently also dislikes having to spend so much time each year in Hawaii, as Scott does), got pregnant with their 1st child sometime last fall, I think. She gave birth to the baby, a daughter named Josie James (James is apparently for Scott's Dad), on July 9th, 2014.

That was the day after shooting started in Honolulu on this season's H50 eps. And Scott got, like, 2 or 3 weeks off from shooting after the birth, as I remember; presumably so he could spend some "quality time" with Kacy & their then-newborn daughter (who's now 8 months old).

Kacy & the baby, as far as I know, live in LA fulltime. So I think they've reconstructed Scott's contract again, now that he has the added responsibility of fatherhood on his proverbial "plate", in a way that he can spend as much time as possible in LA with his girlfriend & their daughter (which you can't say is entirely wrong--I mean, we don't want him to be a bad father, right?), while still maintaining his role as Danny on the show (which is a really important role, especially in this version due to the obvious chemistry between Alex & Scott, & was part of the original show until the last season or 2).

I recently read a new interview with Tom Selleck, who's the star of Blue Bloods. He talked about how he's got a shooting schedule on that series that allows him to maintain his role in the show (which shoots on location--not unlike H50, but in a different city than H50--in New York City) & still have a life outside of it, which is normally close to impossible for actors because of the long hours required on the set (Tom & his family live somewhere in Southern California, I forget if it's in or outside the LA area). He even detailed his schedule.

He said he commutes from LA to NYC twice during a shooting season (as opposed to being on set fulltime, like usual), then spends 4 days in NYC at a time, when he's there, & shoots all his scenes for the eps that have otherwise already been produced, or are currently in production while he's on the set, in that 4-day period.

I have the feeling Scott probably has the same/a similar type of shooting schedule; especially now that he's a father with a baby daughter living on the Mainland. Only he's allowed the luxury of being completely written out of some episodes, since he's only the second lead in the show, while Tom Selleck probably has to shoot scenes for every ep in the season in the times he's in NYC, 'cause his character's the NYPD Commissioner & presumably considered the first lead (the McGarrett, if you will) in his show.

Edited by BW Manilowe

Well that was much better than last week.

They did mention that more than one 911 call came in about the shots fired. But when it's that many shots fired you don't get a single cop in a single cruiser leisurely patrolling the neighborhood!

McGarrett only gets to be Super SEAL as the script calls for I suppose. Why has he all of a sudden forgotten how to make a molotov cocktail? And why is he such a shitty shot when firing at guys who are across the street?

A week after Chin almost gets busted by IA for perceived corruption he engages in some real corruption right here. Make a donation to the widow's fund and we'll ignore that pile of untaxed cash you won while illegally gambling? That would be a headline if it happened in real life.

Only on TV and in Grand Theft Auto games does the case against you go away because the last witness was murdered.

There was some foreshadowing that Chin's gangster relative is going to want something from him and is going to come calling for it sooner rather than later. And what exactly is to stop Chin from arresting him on the spot for murdering a cop?

And a lot of momento stuff, too.  That was creepy.  I missed how barber guy defended himself, can someone fill me in?  It didn't completely stink but no way would I watch this on a regular basis.  No Dano no 5-0 to me. 

Jorge's doppleganger was hawt, that jaw should be on a romance novel. :)

On the dock when creepy guy was using the barber as a shield and had a gun to his head, the barber slammed his head back into the guy's face and dropped to the ground so Steve could shoot him.
  • Love 1

There was like 75-100 Polaroids at the end, all those kids went missing and were murdered yet 5-0 were never called on the case?

I don't think they were all of different kids. Didn't the dad say 7 kids and that his son had burned them to death? I figured the pictures were before, during, and after shots of his victims. 

• Love 1

I had the same question for most of the episode: why are they just firing from a distance? They clearly out-number and out-gun Steve etc, so why are they botching the job? But in the end it was because they didn't want to kill McGarrett; they just wanted to get the kid. They had enough problems already, without also killing a cop.

But then I started to think: if they're gangsters who won't turn the kid in to the police, and would rather have a public shoot out that lasts all afternoon and runs the risk of making martyrs out of the gang, why was Daddy Gangster Boss so willing to confess the kid's crime and give Steve the evidence? Why didn't he just turn the kid in in the beginning if he wasn't averse to doing it in the end?

And yeah for sure: why have we never heard anything about this huge, huge number of missing children??

I have the sense that Caan and Park both want off the show. Kono always looks like she's phoning it in, and Danny is hardly ever around anymore and looks like he's going through the motions, too. At first, I was bothered by the idea of losing the characters, but at this point, I don't give a shit anymore. Just write and cast new people for the team and make them interesting. Get people who are talented, like both the crazy action and the snarky dialogue, and who are excited and grateful to have the job. It's always better to have motivated people in a role, instead of people who don't want to bet there for whatever reason.

It is the Elmore Leonard formula, crooks are not smart, they are just mean and willing to use violence. And normally don't face people putting up a fight but terrorize the unarmed.

I agree they have had a decent season without carguments enhanced interrogations and the season one formula perhaps it is time for Kono to get some patrol experience and Danno to join Vegas Metro for Grace's sake. Jack Lord's show ran without Kono for 8 years and probably could have done more without Danno if he had left sooner.

I don't think they were all of different kids. Didn't the dad say 7 kids and that his son had burned them to death? I figured the pictures were before, during, and after shots of his victims. 

Even seven kids from a neighborhood in a mid sized city. You would expect a Criminal Minds crossover

7 missing kids in what must be a relatively short time-span and within one specific area should have all law enforcement working full-time. At least it should have been mentioned before.

I don't care what's the deal with Caan it seems quite clear that he does not want to be on the show anymore. They've established quite a good core cast, use those people more and let him go. Chi McBride can take over for the usual carguments, although I don't see Grover allowing McGarrett to take over his car. The writers will have to come up with another bickering-scenario. That shouldn't be much harder then coming up with excuses why Danno isn't around on a regular basis.

Well, that was dark and different.

So many good points and comments already made here.  I thought too that the bad guys could just advance and take out Steve and the others - but then we wouldn't have had a show.  I don't know why they (the bad guys) didn't just go away and wait until later to get their target since that was their agenda anyhow, just to kill him because he was a monster.  I guess they were told to kill the kid and were totally single-minded about it even to the point of killing a cop.

I really like Odell; he can turn up again anytime - but he doesn't have to become a regular.

Gigantic plot holes aside, I did really enjoy this episode. As benteen mentioned above, the claustrophobic atmosphere was well done and I agree, Steve wouldn't leave his phone in the car even for the time it takes to get a shave.

I liked Jerry's side story.  It was interesting and he was amusing; it also brought out a lighter side of Chin which we very seldom see.

• Love 1

well that took a turn I didn't see coming!!! I thought AOL was great at the end looking through the pix.

Grover and Chin didn't wonder where Steve was all morning when he didn't come to work?? Danno's spidey sense would have kicked in immediately.

• Love 3

I wondered if the kid in the barber shop would turn out to be a bad guy, but I didn't figure out how bad he would end up being.  I agree with others that seven missing kids would raise all sorts of red flags all over the island, but I just told myself that this was an open case that was happening 'off screen' and the audience just hadn't seen an episode about it (ha, ha). 

At the law firm, Chin said that they were looking for a guy that weighed around 300 pounds and had long hair.  This led the clerk to think of his cousin.  The guy did have long hair, but he was a long way from weighing 300 pounds.  I also thought it was the clerk who had worn a wig and was going to falsely accuse his cousin (the clerk definitely weighed more than his cousin).

Edited by BooksRule

Sometimes the stupidest things bugs me and, this time, it was the guy not only not having a landline (which lots of people no longer have) but no cell phone either and yet he has a business.  

I guess Steve had to stop by the day before or something to ask him to open up early for him  - stupid and contrived as was the "commander" of 5-0 sitting in a barbershop while his cell phone is in his car because, I guess, crime can wait while the guy has a shave.  

I know, I know - stupid, inconsequential stuff but, it was lazy and, well, stupid.  I know, redundant, but it was.

• Love 2

I would love to have Caan's work situation - even before his partner had a baby, the show runners bent over backwards to accommodate his dislike of the islands.

I just can't understand how he has that kind of clout. No offense to him, but he was a supporting player on Entourage, and his biggest film cred was Banana #8-ish in the Ocean's 11 films. I don't want to think it's as simple as Lucky Sperm Club membership.

The episodes don't miss him. Odell is a lot of fun; Lou Grover can provide the "cargument" sass, and Chin Ho is a compelling character in his own right. Let Danno go - I'm not buying the great McDanno bromance anymore.

Interesting, dark ep last night. I'm not saying anyone is a master thespian on H50, but I think Alex sold that final scene very well.

• Love 5

Sometimes the stupidest things bugs me and, this time, it was the guy not only not having a landline (which lots of people no longer have) but no cell phone either and yet he has a business.  

I guess Steve had to stop by the day before or something to ask him to open up early for him  - stupid and contrived as was the "commander" of 5-0 sitting in a barbershop while his cell phone is in his car because, I guess, crime can wait while the guy has a shave.  

I know, I know - stupid, inconsequential stuff but, it was lazy and, well, stupid.  I know, redundant, but it was.

Fair point.  The guy who owned the barber shop had to open up early for Steve because of Steve's schedule...which meant Steve was expected to be at work that day. 

If Caan wants to leave, they should let him at this point.  While nothing will replace McGarrett and Danny, I think McGarrett and Grover have a strong chemistry together.  Definitely different from McGarrett and Danny.  Much more two alpha males butting heads.  But I think the cast has grown enough to move on.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

I, too, fail to see why Caan has such clout. He is an average actor who happens to have a famous father. But aren't there a thousand other average actors with famous parentage in Hollywood? And if he is such a hot commodity, why would he "settle" for a role that requires him to relocate to an area he (seemingly) loathes.

I really don't see any chemistry between the actors or characters that couldn't be replicated, or improved upon, with another actor.

Turning to the episode, I wasn't sure if the kid knew Dad was behind the attack. If he didn't, why couldn't his dad just wait until he was out of the hospital and go after him again. And those gangsters must really suck if they weren't able to kill him. Weren't there about six heavily armed men?

If the kid did know, what was his plan after he was shot? What would he have done if Odell hadn't left the gun within reach? Of course, the writers don't have to think of those things, because they knew where the story was going.

Sometimes I think the writers get these big ideas in their heads but don't give much thought to the large plot holes. They just figure they can stick in a gunfight or car chase to distract the viewers.

• Love 1
(edited)

Didn't Alex just have a kid? He probably didn't have to work hard to summon up that emotion. Every dad lives in fear of these creeps.

Alex's youngest son, Lion, was born on October 25, 2012; so he's 2 years, 5 months old. That doesn't really count as "just having" him.

You're probably thinking of Scott Caan, whose 1st child was born at the same time as shooting started for this season of the show.

But, judging by pics of him with younger fans, Alex has a great "ease" with kids (I was trying to figure out how to write that so he wouldn't sound like a "creeper", which he's not), or perhaps he imagined the loss of 1 of his & his wife Malia's sons, so I could see him being able to easily summon the emotions McGarrett felt in that scene.

Alex also has a son from a previous, non-marital, relationship, Saxon; he'll be 18 in July, if I figured right (& some pictures of him as a child were apparently used as pictures of young Steve McGarrett, when Steve's background was being given, in the H50 episode that was built around the Oprah-esque talk show, Savannah, following Five-0 around for a day).

And Alex has a stepson, Spike, from his wife Malia's 1st marriage; Spike is 5, or will be sometime this year (if I figured right). So he has 3 sons--2 biological & 1 stepson.

Grace Park--whose 41st birthday was yesterday, by the way--apparently has a son (who was born during S4; the pregnancy caused her to need to pre- & post-film a lot of scenes to be inserted into various eps before midseason, & she returned to the set for filming after the December holidays break in S4 filming). I think that makes her son almost 18 months old now, but I'm not positive.

Daniel Dae Kim has 2 or 3 sons, all high school or maybe early college age, I think (he is the eldest of the original 4 cast members, in his mid-late 40's, so...).

Scott Caan, as I said upthread, is the current H50 star with the most recent claim to parenthood. His daughter Josie James (for his father) Caan, with his partner/girlfriend, Kacy Byxbee (who used to work in the H50 wardrobe department), was born July 9, 2014. So she's just over 8 months old. And the only daughter born to 1 of the original 4 H50 cast members in this version of the series.

Edited by BW Manilowe

I commonly hear you should keep a landline (corded so if you lose power) even if you don't have service because 911 calls can still be made on them. A bit of spelunking shows this isn't true everywhere, but it is/was in Hawaii....http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2009/05/update-about-911-and-disconnected-landlines/index.htm
  • Love 3
(edited)

My main point was that Alex has a small child and would be horrified just thinking about something happening to him. Two years old is still considered a baby. Whereas the 18-year-old is not. I might have used the wrong word, but that's what I meant.

So, no, I was not thinking of Scott.

You're right. Many people still consider a 2 year-old a "baby". I'm not usually 1 of them, for whatever reason. Probably because, while 2 year-olds are still helpless in a lot of ways, like a baby, they're also starting--albeit perhaps slowly--to do some easier, more "elementary" things for themselves, & some may even be starting toilet training.

And yes, I'm sure Alex (& Malia) would be particularly horrified if something like in this episode were to happen to Lion, or Spike who's only 3 years older (even though Spike is Malia's son by another relationship, it seems Alex is still very close to him & treats Spike as if he were Alex's biological son, as well). Of course, even though he's much older than his half-brother & stepbrother, I should also think Alex--at least--would still be horrified if something like that were to happen to his elder son, Saxon.

Anyway... It turns out I made an error in what I said about Tom Selleck's work schedule, which I compared to Scott Caan's possible H50 work schedule in a previous post. I wanted to correct that error.

I said Tom only goes to NYC to film scenes *twice a shooting season*, for 4-day periods each time. He *actually* goes to NYC *twice a month* during the filming season, but it's still for 4 days of shooting each time (which is a big difference to only going twice the entire time they're shooting--& probably makes the number of episodes they have to shoot scenes for, each time he's on set, much more manageable & less confusing than trying to shoot scenes for perhaps a half-season's worth of eps at a time).

If you're interested, here is the article from which I got the information--it's an interview with Tom about the upcoming revival of his Jesse Stone TV-movie franchise on the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries channel. It's from Variety, about 10 days ago, but I swear this isn't where I actually read it--I just can't remember where I did. The part where the logistics of his Blue Bloods shooting schedule are mentioned is almost at the very end--in the next to last paragraph.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/tom-selleck-collars-more-jesse-stone-pics-in-hallmark-pact-1201447403/

Edited by BW Manilowe

I don't care what's the deal with Caan it seems quite clear that he does not want to be on the show anymore. They've established quite a good core cast, use those people more and let him go. Chi McBride can take over for the usual carguments, although I don't see Grover allowing McGarrett to take over his car. The writers will have to come up with another bickering-scenario. That shouldn't be much harder then coming up with excuses why Danno isn't around on a regular basis.

Yea I am sort of the same way. If he doesn't want to be there, then don't be there. I get that it sucks being away from home, but lots of people have to do it and at his level it is hard to have too much sympathy. Plus it is getting annoying that for most of the time it seems like he is not even in the episode, or doing his own B-plot away from the rest of the cast. 

As far as the episode goes it was fun but really dumb. It was hilarious that they for once didn't do the annoying thing where a guy climbs through an HVAC duct that should really be too small. Although considering Steve's shoulders were almost as wide as that ceiling grille, I am surprised he even bothered taking it off.  And like others have said Steve sure is a bad shot. It would too have been nice if he had realized he could have go through the wall to the flower shop. I mean it was just drywall and Steve usually wears pretty heavy shoes. So kicking through a couple of layers of drywall shouldn't have been that difficult. 

Also I thought cops always knew that when someone with a gun in their hand gets shot, while they are down, move the gun away just in case they aren't dead.

Frankly, if Scott wants to leave, how about replacing him with Mark Valley.  And then you could bring in Jackie Earle Haley as Guerrero occasionally.  Dang, I still miss Human Target.

I think Mark Valley has become a bit of a show killer - not his fault, I know but still, there it is.

There was a time I could not picture the show without Danny or Kono (Kono to a lesser extent), but now, I do so quite easily. While I enjoy both characters, featuring them less & less has allowed me to easily picture the show next year without them should it come to pass. Danny & Kono simply moving on (Danny back to Jersey or Vegas) & Kono riding off into sunset with Adam would actually make sense to me. I think it makes sense for Steve's team to evolve over time given what the modern working world is like.

I especially want to co-sign the part about having people there who want to be & recognize a steady, long term & well-paying job on a major network show for what it is -- a gift (actors in my family certainly would should they be so lucky). And practically speaking, as we have all probably seen in our own work environments, having people around who have a bad attitude or feel put upon tends to drag everyone down. I have not been on set nor do I know Caan or Park, just what I see as a viewer & have also heard in the case of Caan -- often from his own mouth -- over an extended period of time. Where there's smoke, there's fire & all that...

• Love 1

Well, that was... a bit dark.

I hope that the barber had good building insurance.

Even though the kid obviously lied about what had happened, I thought it took a strangely long amount of time before Steve started questioning why, exactly they were all there together.

Danny - either be on the show or don't, I'm over all this there for an ep, then gone for 2.

I thought both cases were worth a full episode, and probably would have preferred they go that way. I kept waiting for the home invasions case to somehow intersect with the Armenians or something, and it never did. I think it would have been more interesting if Chin, Grover, and Kono were investigating the strange disappearance of a couple kids from a neighborhood, while Steve was in the barbershop and so on, they intersect, turns out the kid was behind it, the end.

Plotholes abound as has been mentioned but strangely they didn't bother me overall.

RE: Danny.  Maybe I'm just used to Caan's absences by now, but this was the first epsiode he wasn't in where I didn't miss him at all.

If the show does get renewed, I wonder if Caan will demand a "mainland" story line?

Edited by Doctor Whom

I'm still surprised they've never done an episode with Danny and Steve both in New Jersey.  I always thought it would be fun for McGarrett to be on Danny's turf for an episode.

They certainly can do it if they want to.  The box of evidence that Aunt Deb's husband left with McGarrett needs to be returned to NYC.  New Jersey isn't far away.  Maybe its something planned for next season.

I'm still surprised they've never done an episode with Danny and Steve both in New Jersey. I always thought it would be fun for McGarrett to be on Danny's turf for an episode.

They've also never done an ep where Steve could go undercover & use Alex's native Aussie accent for his undercover character (even if, by now, Alex had to "put on" his accent somewhat 'cause maybe it's faded over the time he's been in the States & played mostly American-born characters). I probably would've used that plot by now if I were a writer &/or showrunner.

And, yeah, it would be fun seeing Steve on Danny's native turf sometime. Especially dealing with people who speak like the New Jersey equivalent of Kamekona or Kawika around him--like when Danny & Steve met Kamekona & Kawika, & they used so much Pidgin dialect in their speech that Danny couldn't figure out what they were saying but Steve knew since he grew up on Oahu. Only this time the Jersey accents would be so thick Danny could understand them, having grown up there, but Steve couldn't.

• Love 1

If they can't get Caan to show up in Hawaii, I don't know how they'll get him to show up in NJ. But who knows, maybe he just likes smog.

As far as I know, we weren't talking about actually *filming in New Jersey*. Just about wanting to see an ep *set in New Jersey*, like part of the ep In a Time Past (I forget the Hawaiian title) was. That was the ep where part of the storyline was a flashback to events that Danny & his Newark PD partner--who became the inspiration for Grace Williams' name--were involved in, it turns out, on 9/11, & the other part was Danny being trapped by a motion-sensor bomb & telling Steve the story of his life on 9/11 while the bomb disposal techs worked to try & deactivate the bomb.

The original poster & I were talking about wanting to see an ep *set* in New Jersey, where Steve & Danny would have to both go there, for some reason, & Steve would be on Danny's home turf for once since Danny's been on Steve's home turf for almost 5 full seasons now.

We weren't talking about actually going to New York City/New Jersey to film. It already costs enough to do location filming in Honolulu, & besides, Blue Bloods already films on location in New York City.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect them to shoot in New Jersey.  But McGarrett working with Danny in Danny's old territory would be a lot of fun.  I'd consider that a missed opportunity if they never do it.

I would probably skip an episode set in Jersey. I don't like Danny and I can see East Coast scenery on any number of shows. Besides I think they have done enough shows where one or more cast members are set apart from the rest.

Ditto to all the plot holes...it was Odell (actor and character) who really made the episode for me--and I always love Jerry.

Though I don't think a conspiracy theorist like him would sign up for being in a lineup even if he needed the money.  Sure, he works with 5-0, but they're the rebel, outsider branch of the system, plus they're his personal friends.  I'd think he'd have too much of the distrust he showed *after* he was fingered to even have signed up in the first place.

My husband and I had to laugh at the following two things:

--Gang member gets a chainsaw and starts cutting through the wall--cutting a gigantic hole, carefully going around all of Odell's framed pictures even though he (the gangster) can't see them.

--Gang leader/father sports a chest tattoo with the following letters:  ****enian ****.  It's gotta say Armenian, right?  But if he's so proud of his heritage (or his gang-leader-ness), wouldn't he have the tattoo written in, oh I don't know, Armenian?  

McGarrett only gets to be Super SEAL as the script calls for I suppose. Why has he all of a sudden forgotten how to make a molotov cocktail? And why is he such a shitty shot when firing at guys who are across the street?

I know!  Heck, Danno would have been able to hit those guys, standing between the cars.  And I was thinking that a barbershop has to have alcohol in it (for sterilizing the combs and all.  So, hey, Molotov cocktail and a wound disinfectant.

--Gang leader/father sports a chest tattoo with the following letters:  ****enian ****.  It's gotta say Armenian, right?  But if he's so proud of his heritage (or his gang-leader-ness), wouldn't he have the tattoo written in, oh I don't know, Armenian?  

He also had "Armenian Pride" on his arm, also in Roman letters.  (Probably because they wanted people to know he was really, truly Armenian, and most people can't read their alphabet.)

I am a huge Steve/Danny fan, and I miss their scenes tremendously.  This, however, was more of a bottle episode for Steve and Odell, and so I didn't miss any of the cast members in their scenes.

Steve and Odell have great chemistry, and their banter was funny, I have to say.  I like how different they are, and I really hope to see more of Odell next year.  Yes, I think there will be a season six (maybe even a season seven to finish out the contracts.  I believe Alex and Scott are signed for seven).  Regardless, loved everything about the Steve and Odell scenes, and the twist at the end was very good.  Alex was great in that final scene, and yes, they should have had mention that Five O was working on this case, but whatever.  I'm not going to gripe over it.  The episode, in and of itself was good.

As for Scott, he needs to stay if the show is going to continue another year or so.  I'm sorry, but Grover and Chin don't bring the same chemistry to their scenes with Steve as Danny does.  The only character that has come close is . . . Odell!  Go figure.  Grover and Steve are too alpha together, and Chin doesn't bring a lot of excitement imo.  I'm leaving Kono out simply because I think she and Chin make a good pair.  I want Scott to stay, and he's just going to have to put his LA life commitments (minus his family of course) on hold for the last year or two.  Go out with bang.  I also DESPERATELY need them to bring back Steve's mother to put final closure on that story.  I love that story, actually.

Edited by Bishop

The most ridiculous bit of the episode for me was where they go into bullet time (when bringing down the shutters) and Steve literally ducks out of the way of a bullet. I guess SEALS get to train with Morpheus & Neo?

Since I tend to catch the episodes in random order, I'd assumed I'd just missed the references to kids going missing - to not even bother making off hand references (a TV report, newspaper headline, whatever) is just sloppy writing. Would have been even better to have Grover and Chin working the child kidnapping case - it would be an obvious choice to have the halfway point being a Security Camera image/artist's impression of the suspect coming up onscreen and Dun, Dun DAH! It's the guy with Steve!