Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

The bates seem to know they don't live the mainstream life, but that they still have to deal with people who do and factor in that sometimes people who differ aren't any better or worse...just different. They may want them to become evangelical Christians, but I think it is our of sincere concern for their souls.

The Duggars presume anyone Not Duggar is in some sort of competition with them and needs either to be immediately forced into conversion, ridiculed or taken advantage of in business. They want everyone to become evangelical Christians as some sort of 'we win, you lose' mentality. You're either with us or burning in the hell you deserve.

• Love 6

Another difference in the Bates and the Duggars is that I don't see the overwhelming arrogance and pride coming from the bates, where the Duggars just ooze it.

The Duggars may say they're just humbly Jesus Others You folks, but they've always been smug and think their 'above' others. They come off as seeing themselves as some sort of royalty who can dictate behavior whole not following it. They seriously think they're Gods Chosen People who 'do things a little differently' and are just so much more spiritual, godly and just 'better' than everyone else. There's not an ounce of humility or humbleness in any of them. They might as well tattoo LOOK AT ME on their foreheads.

I think JIm Bob and Michelle are both seriously disordered, true malignant narcissists, although my guess is that Jim Bob is the worse of the two, at bottom.....

And I guess since they've raised their family to be robots and isolated them from any other influences as much as possible, a lot of the kids have just picked up the narcissistic approach to things, even though I doubt that most of them have personality issues the way their parents do. That just wouldn't be likely in such a crowd.

Michelle and Jim Bob are sick, in my opinion, and so everything they embrace -- such as their religion -- gets twisted when they interpret and use it, regardless of how twisted or not twisted the thing was to begin with.

Narcissist parents seriously mess up any kids that they have. And in this case it's worse since they made the horrifying choice to have and mess up 19 of them.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 13

The Bates kids do seem happier than the Duggarlings, and they certainly seem healthier.

I think having a mother who isn't mentally insane goes a long way toward producing happy, healthy children.

• Love 11

Gil is a Gothard head honcho and the Bates have followed all the BS, but either Gil or Kelly, or maybe both, seem to be able to pick their 'Gothard battles'. When they saw how crippling the Gothard dating/courting shit was for their oldest, they relaxed the rules a bit. When some of their kids wanted more education, they relaxed the rules a bit. Kelly raises her own kids, with the HELP of the oldest and does the majority of the chores. They also seem to see the different personalities their kids have, and not in terms of how they contribute to the family. I believe all this shows in their kids, but ...

... Gil is still pretty far up the Gothard Monster's ass.

• Love 12

Both of those families have a bunch of preteen and teenage boys. Those fellers can eat a lot and are always hungry. Maybe they fix vats of food to keep them full and it is just easier than real cooking. Not that I am defending them. Just a thought.

• Love 2

I'm sure that's part of it, but truth be told, the Bateses might even eat a bit worse than the Duggars now, since the Duggars have been criticized for years, and we are just getting to know the Bateses a little better.

• Love 2

I would've guessed that Jimbob's ever larger plans for the Bates house was mostly tv BS, the local government would've had to approve any plan, and they couldn't possibly have been capable of examining and approving a new plan from him each day. Plus the house belongs to Gil, none of the work could've been done without his consent, and he'd probably need to be the one submitting the plans.

Not out in the country with no zoning rules.  I live in the country and I can build any damn thing I want without any government approval whatsoever.  

Is it an anything goes situation, or is the local government relying on property owners to follow the rules? Can a structure be assessed or declared as unsafe/uninhabitable? Will insurers insure hypothetical Duggar shanties?

Edited by Kokapetl

You might have a covenant with your neighbors if a large swath of land was divided.  I assume that Tennessee (I think that is where the Bates live) is similar to Texas where I live in that zoning laws only apply within a municipality.  Out in the country there are not any zoning laws.  That does not mean you do not live in sort of a "loose subdivision" with rules on what you can build, but my guess is that the Bates family does not live in one of those.

I highly doubt if any of these mega families get insurance for their shacks.  

Is it an anything goes situation, or is the local government relying on property owners to follow the rules? Can a structure be assessed or declared as unsafe/uninhabitable? Will insurers insure hypothetical Duggar shanties?

Zoning laws vary much more than specifications for structure, heating and electrical. If it is a dwelling certain safety guidelines must be followed for new structures. With that said, many folks build and do renos without proper permits. If the house passes inspection it will be insurable.

It's pronounced da-VEE-uh. I think DAY-vee-uh sounds much prettier though.

I almost like DAY vee uh. Have they ever explained her name? Usually when a Daughter is named after the dad, it seems like it is bc she is the last baby in a string of girls, and they know there won't be a Jr, so why not feminize the dads name.

• Love 1

I almost like DAY vee uh. Have they ever explained her name? Usually when a Daughter is named after the dad, it seems like it is bc she is the last baby in a string of girls, and they know there won't be a Jr, so why not feminize the dads name.

I don't remember. It's odd that they chose to give Davia her father's name instead of Paul, especially given how patriarchal their culture is.

• Love 2

That man looks so angry all. the. time. He's going to need one of those night guards soon or he'll grind his teeth to dust. I seriously worry about Priscilla whenever I see David Waller because she's such a pliant, daft litttle thing and he always looks like he's about to explode. That comment she made at some point about him forgiving the "mistakes" she makes every day was a giant red flag IMO.

• Love 12

That comment she made at some point about him forgiving the "mistakes" she makes every day was a giant red flag IMO.

For Priscilla to make that comment, it implies TFDW is regularly pointing out her "mistakes", otherwise what would there be to forgive? It sounds like an emotionally abusive relationship. The Keller girls really hit the jackpot in the husband department. A closet gay, a child molester and a batshit loon who won't get a job.

• Love 15

Not exaggerating. He terrifies me. There's a really cruel undercurrent with him. Like he'd make a good Nazi - all smiling and handing sweets to children as he led them straight off the train to the gas chambers.

Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 8

What is David's background? Is his family similar to the Maxhells? What do his parents do for a living and how many siblings does he have? Were they always Fundy?

The Wallers have spent quite a bit of time hip-hopping around the world trying to bring people to Gothard.    See here, for example -- http://visionserve.org/category/familynews/page/4/

and here   http://visionserve.org/category/mongolia/

And all of their children are grinding their teeth down to the gum line, as far as I can tell.

http://visionserve.org/

wallerfamilypicture1.jpg

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

IIRC,the parents were saved in their early 20's. Davey is #5 of 10, and the parents were fully immersed in Gothardism by then. How else can you explain allowing your kid to keep claiming he was saved as a 3 year old? Please...

• Love 3

Why didn't they just call her Davida which is an actual girl's name? I have known two separate people named Davida.

• Love 2

Mustard is so ugly and I seriously don't remember a mustard trench in the past 5 years. Maybe it's just so fug on 90% of skin tones I hide from it.

Sierra is really good at inserting herself front and center of this circle. Where are all of her precious snowflakes when she's on the run or filming? I know every mama needs some time away, but I do not understand the concept of spitting out kid after kid, but basically leaving them with sitters or borrowed moms so much.

• Love 3

That one JBoy's face says it all.

No kidding!

Looking at those hip hop hand signs I'm guessing that's not the look he was going for.

What's with hand signs?

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 2

These people scare me.

Why do all fundie moms purpose to out-frump one another?

I am sure it is to avoid looking attractive to other men. Of course, it sort of seems to guarantee that your own spouse may not be that attracted either. Perhaps this accounts for some of the many extracurricular activities that fundie men often indulge in JOSH.

• Love 3

Mustard is so ugly and I seriously don't remember a mustard trench in the past 5 years. Maybe it's just so fug on 90% of skin tones I hide from it.

Sierra is really good at inserting herself front and center of this circle. Where are all of her precious snowflakes when she's on the run or filming? I know every mama needs some time away, but I do not understand the concept of spitting out kid after kid, but basically leaving them with sitters or borrowed moms so much.

So, Sierra had her baby apparently? Is that hers in the picture being held by someone else? Yes, where are her other little kids in all these pics?

• Love 1

So, Sierra had her baby apparently? Is that hers in the picture being held by someone else? Yes, where are her other little kids in all these pics?

I'm pretty sure Sierra had her baby a week after Bam Bam was born. She has 5 kids. I don't know how she finds the time to be front and center anywhere. She must have a lot of help at home. I can't even imagine how much laundry she has on a daily basis.

• Love 2

According to the caption, they got 30 people on the Stink Bus to go to that anti-abortion rally in Little Rock earlier today (sitll Sunday here). The less said about Sierra's clown get-up, the better. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAq1vH0RhGZ/?taken-by=joe_donaldson_1

I hope that bus was parked when the picture was taken. Shouldn't all the younger kids, esp the newborns, be in some type of a car seat? I guess with the 30 people they claim were on the bus, seats with seatbelts to strap the car seats in were a hot commodity.

I'm pretty sure Sierra had her baby a week after Bam Bam was born. She has 5 kids. I don't know how she finds the time to be front and center anywhere. She must have a lot of help at home. I can't even imagine how much laundry she has on a daily basis.

Joy Anna
  • Love 1

I hope that bus was parked when the picture was taken. Shouldn't all the younger kids, esp the newborns, be in some type of a car seat? I guess with the 30 people they claim were on the bus, seats with seatbelts to strap the car seats in were a hot commodity. Joy Anna

I think they were sitting on a bunk. I don't think their are even 21 seats on the bus which would have been a seat per Duggar back in the day. If I remember correctly it looks a bit like an RV in the front, and has multiple bunks to either side going toward the back with curtains. i wouldn't be surprised if it only had 2 seat-belts, unless they retrofitted a bench seat into it.

These people scare me.

Why do all fundie moms purpose to out-frump one another?

Personally, I think the Ms. Fundie Frump USA contest is made up of women who are: 

1) too worn out to put forth any effort (I feel sorry for those women)

2) too financially strapped to afford anything that can't be found in the Goodwill bin, (also feel sorry for)

3) showing off their Susie Homemaker skills by sewing their own frumpers. Sacks require a neck hole and two arm seams. (don't feel sorry for show offs who make everything a competition)

4) they used to have a cute body, but are so worn out by back to back pregnancies, that their body is shot, therefore everyone must cover up so they all look shot, *cough Michelle cough*

5) controlling husbands, *cough Mr. Seewald)

6) it's the 'rule', *no pity there, either*

7) they're frumpy and unattractive anyway, so why bother to be anything else, (sad, but a lot of these people are just not attractive - note FLDS women - the gene pool needs to spread)

8) very few truly take Biblical modesty to an extreme from a sincere heart and focus on 'inner beauty.' (I actually think the Wallers and Keller's both look this way, but none of them are inbred ugly, either. Just dorky looking)

• Love 4