Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Around my first term pregnancy I started associating with JW folks again. One of my new friends, she married a guy that admitted to SSA. They had one daughter and that's it. They were best friends and that's about it. But at least she knew what she was getting into. And since her husband had her support I can see them together "till death do we part". And no she wasn't desparate, she is smart, kind and beautiful, and kind hearted. Quite the catch actually.

• Love 1

I've had friends split after 20 years and friends that knew what they were getting into and stayed they whole time. People's lives are very complicated. I'm not even sure it's a secret within the Gothard world, or that Priscilla doesn't know.

• Love 1

I don't care for speculating about people's sexual orientation, especially strangers (I don't care if you all do, just don't like doing it myself), but really, it's possible that David has admitted to some level of same-sex attraction but chooses to not act on it due to conviction. One of my college roommates is married to a guy who is/does that. I think if we were going to put a label on him, it would be bisexual as he does seem to be actually attracted to his wife, they're expecting a baby soon. He believes that to act on SSA would be sinful and chooses not to. I just hope it works out for my friend.

... and as I was typing this, the 2 posts above came in saying very similar things. 

• Love 1

I've had friends split after 20 years and friends that knew what they were getting into and stayed they whole time. People's lives are very complicated. I'm not even sure it's a secret within the Gothard world, or that Priscilla doesn't know.

To me that is very sad.  Full disclosure.  I'm Jewish and I have a gay son who is in his 40s and recently married where it is legal, not where he lives.  I know a lot of gay people through him.  They all say that before they came out and lived their authentic lives, they were not happy.  I'm sure GEML has other experiences with the people she knows, and I am only speaking from the experience of people who have shared with me.  And yes, people make choices to live the kind of life they think they should and yes, they can give the appearance of a happy life.  Think about it.  If a person isn't "bi", then they are going "against type".  I am  a heterosexual female and I can't imagine living intimately with a woman, no matter how well we get along.  To each his own and whatever makes someone happy.

• Love 4

I'm not disagreeing. But I would temper this by saying that many Fundy people do not think of personal happiness as something that is or should be an aspect of their lives that should be taken into account when making decisions or living their lives. Not saying in agree with that either. Simply offering it as a different point of view.

• Love 2

Literata - thanks so much for posting the wedding video. OMG I never realized how fab David is. And the cake scene at the end - I can't get it out of my mind. It was disturbing. The way TFDW licked Pris's fingers. I never knew cake eating could be so lustful. And then they kept kissing with mouths full of cake. Eeew. Wrong. Just wrong on so many levels.

• Love 1

I have no idea. And I'd be hesitant to say more than some speech issues, given that she actually seems to be one of the few Gothard women who worked at HQ and managed to have a real job for a few years. I think if there was something seriously wrong with her it would have been much easier to simply hide her, I mean, have her "helping" out at home.

Gothard is on record saying he invited the girls he found most attractive to work at Headquarters, so I'm not sure she worked because she was just that independent-minded.

But I will say this for Priscilla -- when David asked her to marry him she said, "I would be honored." As opposed to, "Totally!" I'm giving her points there. I don't know why, since I disagree with her in principle about nearly everything, but I find myself liking Miss Priss more than I expected to, or can really explain.

• Love 4

It might be because she's doing her best with the lousy situation she was born into.  She really seems to believe in the Gothard way.  I haven't watched many of TFDW video's but Pris always seems to be trying so hard to be what he wants her to be, and he always seems to be trying to act like a great guy in love with his wife, but underneath there's always a hint of negativity about him.  It's hard to explain, but he often comes across as being disappointed in Pris, or annoyed by her.  He'll stand there and say how wonderful their lives are together, but she's standing next to him like a scared puppy trying not to make the master yell at her, and he's standing there like he's thinking about how he wishes he didn't even know her.

BTW, Pris didn't seem so anxious before she married David, there's some footage with her when she stayed with the Duggars to help Michelle because all of the Jslaves were off doing something else and we all know Michelle can't or won't take care of her children by herself.

And David once posted on his blog that he got married because his parents insisted on it.  He made it quite clear that he'd have held off, but when his parents pretty much told him to pick a bride right now, he fished around and said that he thought that Pris was a good candidate.  In my opinion, he was forced into marriage, and he's been punishing Pris ever since for being stupid enough to agree.

• Love 6

Found this gem on the same page. Priscilla ... just wow. Poor thing.

Damn, she's just dim, isn't she. As for her being with TFDW, Papa Keller always gives of a bit of fabulousness himself when he's on the show, so Priss might not think anything of it. Or didn't before marriage at least. It could very well be a marriage that works for them, providing both with what they want in life. I went to college with 2 people, he was even more fabulous than David and she was literally signed up to join a convent and changed her mind at the very last minute and went to college instead. Yep, they are now married, have 2 or 3 kids last I heard. They both get the kids they wanted, a stable life, and he didn't have to to come out to his deeply Catholic family and she was able to get the kids and still basically live like a nun. I don't think many would be happy in such a marriage, but it's worked so far for them. Luckily, they are really perfect for each other, sexual preferences aside, and were instantly best friends after meeting. The difference between them and TFDW and Priss, is she has an education and a job to fall back on if things implode down the road. Priss will just be screwed.

The thing is, when Pris and Jennifer Hartano "helped" Michelle the house was clean and the little kids were tidy and had nice hair. I'm betting they ate regular meals, and had lessons too.

Those two know how to run a house.

• Love 8

Damn, she's just dim, isn't she. As for her being with TFDW, Papa Keller always gives of a bit of fabulousness himself when he's on the show, so Priss might not think anything of it. Or didn't before marriage at least. It could very well be a marriage that works for them, providing both with what they want in life. I went to college with 2 people, he was even more fabulous than David and she was literally signed up to join a convent and changed her mind at the very last minute and went to college instead. Yep, they are now married, have 2 or 3 kids last I heard. They both get the kids they wanted, a stable life, and he didn't have to to come out to his deeply Catholic family and she was able to get the kids and still basically live like a nun. I don't think many would be happy in such a marriage, but it's worked so far for them. Luckily, they are really perfect for each other, sexual preferences aside, and were instantly best friends after meeting. The difference between them and TFDW and Priss, is she has an education and a job to fall back on if things implode down the road. Priss will just be screwed.

Well, she clearly has a speech impediment and she equally clearly never got help for it. She seems to try hard to be as positive about everything in her life as she can be. So God provided a printer and a pair of white sandals. Such a blessing.

I kind of wonder if Pa Keller has issues of his own with inappropriate internet use, and that's why he made that particular stipulation. I just don't think Pris gets the fabulosity of David. Maybe I'm wrong. I'd like to be wrong, actually.

I would not be surprised at all if one of these paragons of manhood takes a fall eventually, a much harder fall than Gothard's. They're so impressed with themselves, eventually they'll believe they're unassailable -- and that's when one of them will get caught with a prostitute (either sex) or a baby on the side (that'll be Jim Bob). My money's on TFDW because no one can contain that much frustration forever, and I suspect he's a very angry person, deep down. Second choice, Jim Bob, who will obviously need to prove his masculinity to himself now that the baby factory is shut down. Josh as a dark horse contender. Smug and stupid and famous, an excellent recipe for an off-the-rails disaster.

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 5

Josh as a dark horse contender. Smug and stupid and famous, an excellent recipe for an off-the-rails disaster.

He would actually be my leading contender. Anna has gone over the edge with the baby obsession. Josh obviously loves his kids and I think he's a good dad, but i also think he's more than done with the constant "blessings" Anna is looking to catch. Sex on the side could be his out in the future. I could see him having a mistress, one who does everything  possible to NOT get pregnant every 15 months. 

• Love 3

Don't forget Derrick. He's a nice guy, so I can't see him sleeping with another woman. He'd probably love to pay a prostitute to sit quietly, and let him finish a few sentences without interruption. That'd be better than sex, for him.

• Love 20

Well, she clearly has a speech impediment and she equally clearly never got help for it. She seems to try hard to be as positive about everything in her life as she can be. So God provided a printer and a pair of white sandals. Such a blessing.

I kind of wonder if Pa Keller has issues of his own with inappropriate internet use, and that's why he made that particular stipulation. I just don't think Pris gets the fabulosity of David. Maybe I'm wrong. I'd like to be wrong, actually.

I would not be surprised at all if one of these paragons of manhood takes a fall eventually, a much harder fall than Gothard's. They're so impressed with themselves, eventually they'll believe they're unassailable -- and that's when one of them will get caught with a prostitute (either sex) or a baby on the side (that'll be Jim Bob). My money's on TFDW because no one can contain that much frustration forever, and I suspect he's a very angry person, deep down. Second choice, Jim Bob, who will obviously need to prove his masculinity to himself now that the baby factory is shut down. Josh as a dark horse contender. Smug and stupid and famous, an excellent recipe for an off-the-rails disaster.

19 Kids and Not Counting the 34 illegitimate ?Jim Bob had a "side(more than a hug) job at the miniature golf course.

Edited by Cherrio
  • Love 4

He would actually be my leading contender. Anna has gone over the edge with the baby obsession. Josh obviously loves his kids and I think he's a good dad, but i also think he's more than done with the constant "blessings" Anna is looking to catch. Sex on the side could be his out in the future. I could see him having a mistress, one who does everything possible to NOT get pregnant every 15 months.

That would mean there most be another person willing to have sweet fellowship with Joshua. While he might have the fundy girls fawning over him, I can't see him attracting many mainstream ladies. And the fundy girls might covet him, but would they actually do it?

Don't forget Derrick. He's a nice guy, so I can't see him sleeping with another woman. He'd probably love to pay a prostitute to sit quietly, and let him finish a few sentences without interruption. That'd be better than sex, for him.

I could imagine him asking her to say things like,

"I trust you to have lunch with your coworkers"

"Maybe we can do something without my family's input"

"That's okay, I can paint my own nails. Why don't you go watch sports?"

• Love 9

If he wasn't in that oppressive cult, I could see TFDW having a career in musical theatre. He is quite exuberant and looks genuinely happy in the wedding video singing and conducting away. He definitely wasn't cut out for the fundie get married and have a bunch of kids life. Hope for Priscilla's sake that he never decides to chuck it all and be his authentic self because it would crush her. I suspect she has no idea she married a gay man.

• Love 6

Can I just say, I had never seen the acronym SSA before this forum, and actually had to puzzle out what it meant.

I read only 2-3 blogs and 19K&C, The Little Couple are the only forums I follow routinely.  Learn new acronyms all the time here too. This week AMA - against medical advice - was a biggie. :>)  PS - I think I'll always see LOL first as "Land O'Lakes..."

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 1

pay a prostitute to sit quietly

Quietly, yes, One of my favorite scenes in any of the Derick-Jill episodes is the one where he talks about how LOUD she is all the time. 

"Why don't you go ahead and drive to work today. You probably need some time to decompress from your day on the way home."

"I have an idea -- take the weekend and go spend some one-on-one time with your mom. I'm sure it would boost her spirits."

• Love 6

Access is key. Josh might find a young conservative on a campaign trail, but he's too small potatoes yet. That may not always be the case, but he has too many people ahead of him right now.

I think Ben is safe for awhile. And I actually think Jim Bob keeps his kids and wife around him constantly for accountability reasons.

But I know a marriage like Derick and Jill's and it does have the potential to be ugly. A really nice, gentle woman at work who takes some time with him could turn his head. Again, like Josh, it's not an immediate thing.

So right now we're in a race between the two....

• Love 1

Priscilla kind of reminds me of a really, really eager Gwyneth Paltrow. I know I'm a little strange. A Gwyneth Paltrow that actually cares if people like her.

It also seems, at least in the video, that Anna knows there is something off about her sister. She seems to be looking out for Priscilla in case she needs any help.

Which one is older?

Edited by flyingdi
  • Love 3

That would mean there most be another person willing to have sweet fellowship with Joshua. While he might have the fundy girls fawning over him, I can't see him attracting many mainstream ladies. And the fundy girls might covet him, but would they actually do it?

I have a friend whose aunt ran a "full service" massage place (I am a heathen, who believes people have the right to careers in negotiable affection, if that's what they want, and they aren't being forced into it). One of the girls there that we chatted with on occasion, when visiting friend's aunt told us that one of her favourite customers would book an hour of her time, watch her masturbate for about 15 minutes and then want to spend the rest of the time just talking to her, and having her listen and say encouraging things.

I could see Derrick going for that. He could reason it wasn't cheating if he didn't join in, he'd still get a little thrill, and he'd leave feeling like he'd gotten to speak and be heard.

• Love 5

One of the concrete things I learned from my ex-husband is that there is someone out there that wants the person you have difficulty imagining being desired. In my case it was multiple someones over several years & my ex wasn't all that or a bag of chips.
  • Love 3

I wouldn't be surprised if TFDW had some sweet fellowshipping on the side. It's just all a matter of who he's fellowshipping with ;)

I think what TFDW is probably doing is actually Fellow-schtupping.    :)

• Love 6

I tried to PM a mod but I couldn't figure out how to do it. Please can we have a separate thread for TFDW and Prissy????? 

The title could be Yessss  wedding planner extraordinaire TFDW and Priscilla.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 2

Toward the end of the Priscilla/TFDW wedding video there's a lengthy part where parents come up on stage and prayers are said for the newlyweds. The prayers are offered by the men only as they pass the mic around. The womenfolk remain mute. Sexist as hell, but whatever. Anyhow, Boob and J'Chelle are there and Boob gets his turn at the mic and starts rambling on about how he hopes Priss and TFDW breed like rabbits - or something to that effect. WTF? What business did Boob and J'Chelle have up there? Who let them in? It isn't enough that they potentially have 19 weddings in which they can share the spotlight as parents of the bride or groom? They have to horn in on the Waller/Keller stage too? Thought I had seen it all with those two famewhores, but that was disgustingly out of line. They just have no idea how and when to give it a rest.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 8

Hmmm... If suggest, TFDW and Priscilla "he married his BEST FRIEND!"

And without the Duggars, no payment for TV wedding. Lie down with dogs, get up with fleas....

• Love 3

Best friends indeed. Braiding each other's hair, doing nails, pillow fights, sharing secrets about the boys they think are cute and taking personality quizzes in teen magazines.

• Love 13

And without the Duggars, no payment for TV wedding. Lie down with dogs, get up with fleas....

I still don't understand why the Duggars would care about being seen at the wedding of their daughter-in-law's sister? And even more, why TLC was OK with paying for the "privilege" of filming it? There must have been something in it for Boob, but I can't begin to imagine why TLC cared.

• Love 1

Toward the end of the Priscilla/TFDW wedding video there's a lengthy part where parents come up on stage and prayers are said for the newlyweds. The prayers are offered by the men only as they pass the mic around. The womenfolk remain mute. Sexist as hell, but whatever. Anyhow, Boob and J'Chelle are there and Boob gets his turn at the mic and starts rambling on about how he hopes Priss and TFDW breed like rabbits - or something to that effect. WTF? What business did Boob and J'Chelle have up there? Who let them in? It isn't enough that they potentially have 19 weddings in which they can share the spotlight as parents of the bride or groom? They have to horn in on the Waller/Keller stage too? Thought I had seen it all with those two famewhores, but that was disgustingly out of line. They just have no idea how and when to give it a rest.

IIRC, there is a bible verse somewhere that states women should be mute in church.

• Love 1

The Duggar girls themselves weren't getting on with the marriage thing quickly enough, and they wanted an event episode? Seriously, I think we should not question this too much, and just be deeply grateful that all that Fabulosity was preserved for the ages. :-)

• Love 5

I'm with you, Wellfleet. Was the Priss/TFDW wedding on 19 Kids and Counting? If so, why didn't they just show Boob and Michelle sitting there in the church and then greeting the couple at the reception as guests? I can't imagine the network insisted that the two of them barge on stage during the ceremony. That had to be a Boob idea. When did he ever pass up an opportunity to hog the spotlight? I'm trying to imagine his reaction if Josiah was getting married and Bin's parents insisted on taking part in the ceremony. He'd look at them like they were nuts.

However, I didn't know much about TFDW before watching the video, and, I must say, he didn't disappoint!

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 2

Best friends indeed. Braiding each other's hair, doing nails, pillow fights, sharing secrets about the boys they think are cute and taking personality quizzes in teen magazines.

I suggest 'TFDW: just one of the girls! '

• Love 3

Finding out they courted the same guy...

• Love 6
Boob and J'Chelle are there and Boob gets his turn at the mic and starts rambling on about how he hopes Priss and TFDW breed like rabbits - or something to that effect.

The "let's hurry and populate God's army" vibe is so scary to me. I think that's really behind MEchelle's apparent lack of interest in the kids once they're weaned; her job is to breed so that Journey to the Heart and ALERT Academy can continue to be populated for years to come.

Most of us on this site are already alarmed by so much about the Duggars, but I think if any legitimate news organization ever really exposed Gothardism, a la Scientology, we'd be horrified.

• Love 3

I don't think there is anything behind Michelle's lack of interest in her children other than a problem of Michelle's. I've known plenty of Dominionist (God's Army) mothers who love their children as much as you and me.

• Love 4

I don't understand why they don't want to share with the public that they follow Gothard. If they believe so much in his teachings, you'd think they would want to bring more of their fans into the fold. Even Scientologists are open about their "religion;" they want nothing more than to attract new converts (and the money that comes with them!).

• Love 3