Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, crazy8s said:

Samuel has appeared that way too. In the last year or so he has seemed glum and not into performing for mama and her ever present phone. Suddenly, he finishes schoolin early, finds an "exceptional job" and starts courting.

finishing schoolin was actually not in fact early, but a year late.

Makes you really wonder just what is happening in that house. We see some of it and we can't imagine living that way.  

• Like 24
59 minutes ago, kaleidoscope said:

Phillip has appeared to be miserable in pictures and videos since he has returned home.  Sullen. I feel like his dreams have been dashed and troubling emotions are setting in.

Didn't he have an apartment?   He probably started being independent and not checking with Mahmo before every little thing so she dragged him back home.   Just like she did with Timmy.    I'd be sullen too if I got to see what not living in CrazyTown was like and got dragged back in.  

Maybe the whole flubhead and laughing lollipops thing is making fun of Mahmo and her judgmental ways.  

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
17 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

The 12 year old boy in me laughed at him enjoying working with wood.  Of course he does.  Once mama is asleep.

choices were made

Problem is mama is never asleep. She posts at 3 am a lot. Them kids probably never have a good night of sleep like ever. 

Or alone consistent shower time (wink). Certainly no showers in the RV!

• Sad 9
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Didn't he have an apartment?   He probably started being independent and not checking with Mahmo before every little thing so she dragged him back home.   Just like she did with Timmy.    I'd be sullen too if I got to see what not living in CrazyTown was like and got dragged back in.  

Maybe the whole flubhead and laughing lollipops thing is making fun of Mahmo and her judgmental ways.  

He lived in a dorm 4 guys per room. But mahmo dearest blocked Philip into his own cozy corner by all his furniture. Pretty sure Phil was not too welcoming to his roomies either. The rodlings are an entitled/stuck up bunch.

Basically wouldn’t surprise me if Phil made 0 friends and was isolated… whether on purpose or not I don’t know.

Rene is 21 and is probably dying to leave the nest and eat some food!

• Like 13

What on earth makes them feel entitled and act stuck up? They are at the bottom of the food chain. Reading the bios of Sam's fellow homeschool grads makes that abundantly clear. Those kids were raised and equipped to chase their dreams. Rod kids? Not so much. 

• Sad 13
On 6/9/2024 at 1:42 PM, BradandJanet said:

The cotton undershirt is killing me. Why did she spend a hundred dollars on a dress she "couldn't" wear and didn't need? Was getting Sam through homeschool such a grueling experience, she had to celebrate by splurging on herself? Her thinking baffles me. 

She likes to show off, she thinks every event is all about her. 

• Like 10
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

If you look up "Main Character Syndrome" you'll see Jill's picture alongside the definition. Probably wearing her goddawful Mother of the Graduate dress!

• Like 2
  • Applause 8
  • LOL 10
3 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Plus, she can show everyone how godly she is. 

• Like 10
Just now, BetyBee said:

If you look up "Main Character Syndrome" you'll see Jill's picture alongside the definition. Probably wearing her goddawful Mother of the Graduate dress!

As the old saying goes, she has to be the bride at every wedding and the corpse at every funeral. "Look at MEEEEE!!!"

• Like 4
  • LOL 17
29 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Jill’s captions on Samuel’s graduation videos:

IMG_6915.jpeg

IMG_6916.jpeg

IMG_6917.jpeg

IMG_6918.jpeg

Since he didn't enjoy school, he can be thankful school was something that rarely happened for him. ☹️

• Like 9
  • Sad 16
  • LOL 5
2 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Since he didn't enjoy school, he can be thankful school was something that rarely happened for him. ☹️

Yea, what school was there for him not to enjoy? 

• Like 15
  • LOL 5
4 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

Yeah, there is no reason whatsoever for an exclusively homeschooled kid to not like school. The advantage I see in homeschooling is that you can tailor it to the needs, strengths, challenges and interests of each child the way you can't in a typical classroom. You can make a whole math curriculum around carpentry (oh look, a use for Pythagoras), English: read and write instructions to build things, Science: what makes a structure strong and stable? Which species of wood have which characteristics? Social Studies: How did people build stuff before nails and glue were mass produced? How do people build stuff where wood isn't widely available? How do building materials get produced and distributed. So many possibilities!

But of course, the Rod progenitors don't homeschool to help their kids, they do it to control them. Siiiigh poor Sam. I hope he runs far far away with his milkmaid.

Exactly, I have heard parents say they home schooled because their child was having trouble in school and they could work the curriculum better with them, especially if it is more one on one. Everything you bring up takes thought, effort and planning which is something Jill doesn't want to take the time to do. Jill's idea of home school is throw a workbook at them. I'd get bored too. 

• Like 24
(edited)
8 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

Yeah, there is no reason whatsoever for an exclusively homeschooled kid to not like school. The advantage I see in homeschooling is that you can tailor it to the needs, strengths, challenges and interests of each child the way you can't in a typical classroom. You can make a whole math curriculum around carpentry (oh look, a use for Pythagoras), English: read and write instructions to build things, Science: what makes a structure strong and stable? Which species of wood have which characteristics? Social Studies: How did people build stuff before nails and glue were mass produced? How do people build stuff where wood isn't widely available? How do building materials get produced and distributed. So many possibilities!

But of course, the Rod progenitors don't homeschool to help their kids, they do it to control them. Siiiigh poor Sam. I hope he runs far far away with his milkmaid.

Jill only gives a shit when it’s Plexus reset time.

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 4
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 16
6 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

This is so true. It would seem at least one Rod child would be all in on baking. Another one easy for math, reading, following steps in order, history of recipes etc. But that would take effort on mama's part. It seems her sole role in the Rodrigues home school is making those piles of the same old worn out books each year and changing the childs name on the pile to the next kid in line.

We have one grand who excels at math but often claims "i can't figure that out". If the wording is changed to a sports analogy of the same problem he is done in seconds. Statistics, percentages, angles, velocity are all math in sports. We give him maps to locate sports stadiums to calculate distance and travel time from home. 

Jill just makes no effort, which is sad for all of the rod kids.

• Like 21

I’d be surprised if Jill homeschool 30 days a year. Plus if a kid is near sighted good luck to them, Jill is not getting them glasses. 

And reading all sorts of books is fundamental for literacy and learning what else you can study. 

Being in Jill’s school id be bored by day 2…

• Like 12
  • Sad 2

Homeschooling for fundies is not about getting a better education or preparing their kids for adult life. They don't want their kids exposed to anything that might question their beliefs. It's all about control and keeping kids in the religion. The parents and kids have been brainwashed into viewing standard education as evil.

The religious leader don't care if people are barely literate or poor. They just want faithful followers.

• Like 13
  • Sad 7
  • Applause 4
1 minute ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Homeschooling for fundies is not about getting a better education or preparing their kids for adult life. They don't want their kids exposed to anything that might question their beliefs. It's all about control and keeping kids in the religion. The parents and kids have been brainwashed into viewing standard education as evil.

The religious leader don't care if people are barely literate or poor. They just want faithful followers.

When my friend homeschooled, it was more from a religious viewpoint (more per her husband) but my friend also has a Master's Degree and her kids got a good education. I also have an ex-classmate who homeschooled and the family is VERY religious, but her kids have gone on to college (real ones). That said, I agree with you on super fundies and even not so super ones. It is about control. 

• Like 10
(edited)
2 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

and yet so many of them believe their sons will be preachers

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 11

My SIL loves decorating, so she made a cute schoolroom when she decided to "homeschool". They never used it! The kids slept late and watched TV until their friends were home. SIL worked part time every day anyway, so she wasn't around. When their 9 year old still couldn't read, BIL put his foot down and insisted the 9 year old go to school. Kid turned out to be gifted and loved school. He graduated from college and has a good job (probably more excellent than Samuel's!). The older boy got his GED and started his own successful painting business. The homeschooling was a joke, but luckily the boys succeeded anyway!

• Like 20
2 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

How embarrassing for  any young adult male.   The entire world  doesn’t need to know Samuel struggled to learn. 

My son just graduated and traditional school was a struggle for him. Unfortunately I’m not in a position to homeschool nor was he interested in online school (did that for a year with COVID and that was way worse) He finished though, but I certainly didn’t make a big ass post about how he struggled. Not that there’s any shame in not loving school, some people just don’t. It’s just not something you share about your child (unless that is their idea) But Jillpm seems to be taking all the credit for Sam graduating. 

• Like 18
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, Trillium said:

It’s just not something you share about your child (unless that is their idea)

Yeah there's a big difference between the graduate sharing that about himself and someone else doing so.

• Like 17
6 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I think that dress was the only one at the thrift store.  She liked the dress and decided to squeeze into it.

• Like 7
3 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I’d be surprised if Jill homeschool 30 days a year. Plus if a kid is near sighted good luck to them, Jill is not getting them glasses. 

And reading all sorts of books is fundamental for literacy and learning what else you can study. 

Being in Jill’s school id be bored by day 2…

No glasses, especially if it is a daughter.  Didn't she get a VisaLine knock-off for some of the kids?

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

No glasses, especially if it is a daughter.  Didn't she get a VisaLine knock-off for some of the kids?

I think Phillip got his glasses while still living at home. But then there's poor Olivia, who has been squinting at the camera since she was two. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Sad 10
35 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I think that dress was the only one at the thrift store.  She liked the dress and decided to squeeze into it.

That could be, but from what we have seen, Jill loves to have new stuff for herself.  Even if she found the dress at a thrift store, she likely didn't find those shoes there.  It makes me angry to think she would spend that much on an outfit for herself while her kids look like the just stepped out of a Dickens novel.  And don't get me started on the modesty angle.  She thinks she's modest because everything is covered, but when it's covered with skin tight shiny cheap material, it's not modest anymore.  That dress was a choice.  A really bad choice.

As for Philip's little speech, just wow.  When I first read the transcription, I was convinced that the poster had made up something funny that we all think a Rod would say.  The fact that he actually put all those words together in that way is disturbing.  That is one angry person who seems to be loving his grip on reality.  The fact that his own siblings who live in crazytown with him were embarrassed really says something.  I was worried that Tim would become some sort of psycho on Dateline, but Philip is headed that way now.

7 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I think Phillip got his glasses while still living at home. By then there's poor Olivia, who has been squinting at the camera since she was two. 

I think each of the boys got some sliver of stimulus money for either braces or glasses.  The rest went to Mahmo.

• Like 15
33 minutes ago, Meow Mix said:

That could be, but from what we have seen, Jill loves to have new stuff for herself.  Even if she found the dress at a thrift store, she likely didn't find those shoes there.  It makes me angry to think she would spend that much on an outfit for herself while her kids look like the just stepped out of a Dickens novel.  And don't get me started on the modesty angle.  She thinks she's modest because everything is covered, but when it's covered with skin tight shiny cheap material, it's not modest anymore.  That dress was a choice.  A really bad choice.

As for Philip's little speech, just wow.  When I first read the transcription, I was convinced that the poster had made up something funny that we all think a Rod would say.  The fact that he actually put all those words together in that way is disturbing.  That is one angry person who seems to be loving his grip on reality.  The fact that his own siblings who live in crazytown with him were embarrassed really says something.  I was worried that Tim would become some sort of psycho on Dateline, but Philip is headed that way now.

I think each of the boys got some sliver of stimulus money for either braces or glasses.  The rest went to Mahmo.

The boys got braces or glasses, but not the girls.  You don't need to be able to see well or have straight teeth to obey your headship and push out babies.  This is so sad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

Do you think Phillip was punished by David and Jill for his little tirade? I can’t imagine what that punishment would consist of. Do you think his siblings are under orders to shun him? 

• Sad 8
13 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Do you think Phillip was punished by David and Jill for his little tirade? I can’t imagine what that punishment would consist of. Do you think his siblings are under orders to shun him? 

It's hard to say. Phillip said what they all probably think but don't verbalize. Jill claims to love everyone, but we know that's bullshit. I guess all depends on how much they were able to grift from the church. This particular church has taken them to Goodwill in the past to buy whatever they wanted. So, there's a baseline here. 

• Like 9

So Samuel is finally being "graduated" from the Rodrigues Homeschool of Grifting and Starvation at the ripe age of 19 1/2. How old is Gabriel? I believe he is the next Rod in line. Does he have to delay his "graduation" too because big bro couldn't manage to graduate on time? I know "on time" is a relative term, but most his age would have graduated high school last year, not this year. Just wondering if there will be more delay in graduates because of Samuel. Plus I'm sure Best Mama Ever is hesitant to graduate the boys because she doesn't want to lose the set up "muscle" on the grift tour... 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

Gabriel just turned 18, so he SHOULD have graduated this year. Jill obviously held him back after Sammer couldn't graduate on time (and he was slated to graduate last year once upon a time). 

• Sad 6
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

The boys got braces or glasses, but not the girls. You don't need to be able to see well or have straight teeth to obey your headship and push out babies.  This is so sad.

I thought she grifted braces for the older girls? They don't need to be able to see, but they need to have a nice smile to attract a Godly man.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 2
22 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I thought she grifted braces for the older girls? They don't need to be able to see, but they need to have a nice smile to attract a Godly man.

And once married they can finally use them teeth to eat!!!

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
1 minute ago, awaken said:

Phillip is going to snap. 

Yep.  I don't know if I'll continue to be able to snark once that happens.  I truly don't believe it's a question of "if" but definitely "when". 

• Like 1
  • Sad 16
(edited)
On 6/9/2024 at 3:11 PM, Notabug said:

I don't see Jill as the type who borrows or shops at thrift stores for clothing for herself.  For the kids, of course, but she is much too special to wear someone else' castoffs.  Got to show the world she is Jesus' favorite.

The dress itself might've been flattering had it fit her better, she obviously needed to go a size or two larger.  Not the first time she's worn something that seemed too small for her.  I think Jill has spent such a long time bragging about her amazing skills and thinking she's a fashion icon for the fundie set that she is no longer capable of having any perspective as to what clothing or hair or makeup actually looks like on her.

I've always thought Jill got her clothes second hand. That's why her broke arse has so many clothes and why most appear dated.

When I saw that dress, I started singing Disco Duck.

Edited by Iguessnot
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 10

The older girls had braces and Tessie currently has braces. Samuel had the imitation invisalign for a year or so.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Going back to Samuel, if he struggled in school wanna bet his end of year test scores were so bad that even Ohio had to say "not this year."   Jill has to be careful after the cheating scandal.   She doesn't want her home "school" looked at to closely.   

Poor kid, in he were in public school he could have taken the vo-tech route.   Which would have still required English and Math and probably a science class to graduate, but the rest of his classes would have been more in his interest.   Instead, he got the same boring "curriculum" that all his siblings got.  

• Sad 11

Jill has let Janessa use her phone again.  It’s in her FB (and probably IG) stories.  You should watch it.  It’s her singing and she also says, “God is so faithful and so good to Jesus.”  She is so brainwashed.

Late to this but the above video finally made me unfollow JillRod, even though if I wanted to re-follow her I would have to request it from her.  Seeing Janessa singing while holding that creepy AF "real-life" doll is the stuff of actual nightmares. 

The cotton undershirt is killing me. Why did she spend a hundred dollars on a dress she "couldn't" wear and didn't need? Was getting Sam through homeschool such a grueling experience, she had to celebrate by splurging on herself? Her thinking baffles me. 

I have a theory on why Jill went all Shiny Fundie Lounge Singer at Sam's graduation.  I think she's aware that Sam is her best-looking son and she didn't want to be outshone by him.  Same reasoning as to why she blings herself out at her daughter's weddings, and letting Kaylee walk down the aisle with a crooked headpiece...she will never allow any of her children to take away HER spotlight.  In the photos of Jill at graduation, she looked like she'd also spray-tanned herself and whitened her teeth - that could've been the lighting or filtering, but if she had done those things to prep for the ceremony, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

The part of Phillip's speech where he rips non-believers a new one.

"...flying fliggety flubheads because they don’t know how to get their head straight and laughing lollipops who let the devil suck their brains out right into hell." 

That............is terrifying.  It gives me a sense of profound unease as to what may have happened after this event.  I wonder if Phillip has the brain capacity to tell his parents that he's just parroting what they've taught him, so how can they punish him?  When you're living the life of a supremely judgmental fundie, where's the line between being superior and going off the rails?

• Like 24

I posted Phillip's entire intro earlier.

The audience did an uncomfortable little laugh at the fig head part, but complete silence when he continued with laughing lollipops.

Kaylee turned and gave Mama a look. Mama Jill was smiling and nodding at Phillip's remarks. I assume she approved of whatever he was trying to say.

Maybe Phillip misses "college." Maybe he's realizing his burden of annoying the people of Hungary is not happening, just like his brother's burden of being a missionary pilot has crashed. Poor kids. I wonder how long it will take the younger Rodlets to realize having dreams and goals beyond marrying someone Mama can control is just a setup for disappointment. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 6

Kaylee turned and gave Mama a look. Mama Jill was smiling and nodding at Phillip's remarks. I assume she approved of whatever he was trying to say.

I found the video without sound, and I wondered if Jill's smile was more of "just smile and  pretend we're all on the same page right now while we're being watched."  After Kaylee didn't get a reaction from Jill, she reached out to hold Jonathan's arm.  The Rod kids all seemed either scared or embarrassed by their brother.  They're probably very used to this off the wall behavior from their mother, but it does appear that Phillip went off script in a way that surprised everyone.

• Like 9
  • Useful 3

I found the video without sound, and I wondered if Jill's smile was more of "just smile and  pretend we're all on the same page right now while we're being watched."  After Kaylee didn't get a reaction from Jill, she reached out to hold Jonathan's arm.  The Rod kids all seemed either scared or embarrassed by their brother.  They're probably very used to this off the wall behavior from their mother, but it does appear that Phillip went off script in a way that surprised everyone.

I just wanted to verify his age before I post. Looks like he is turning 21. Something went down, just the reactions tell me all is not well. I'm not sure how much I can post on here without getting in trouble, but I have seen comments on him being the age were people can start to manifest schizophrenia. Hopefully, it isn't anything like that and it is him just being an oddball. 

If this comment is not allowed, please let me know. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 1