Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Here's a good one. On Jill's weekly radio show, she divulged that Nathan won't eat until he's spent time with the Lord. She continues that Nurie says it sounds like "wailing before the Lord." 

What the hell is going on in that house???

Jill and Nurie don't understand that Nathan is wailing because he's about to have to pay for another meal for DBD and BME. He is wailing "Why , Lord, Why?" 

• LOL 21
6 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

If Nathan won't eat until he's dne wailing, you can bet no one else in that house does either, including Nemo.  No matter how hungry they might be.    Nurie probably makes sure that Nathan dips ups first.

That sounds miserable, Nemo and Mewto are so doomed with parents like that. Children are a blessing my ass.

• Sad 16

So Nathan gets to "wail before the Lord" on the daily while Nurie gets preggers and keeps sweet. I can't say I was hugely optimistic for brighter things coming from this match in the first place, but it still makes me sad. Poor Nemo and Newmie. 

• Sad 24
11 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

It's the traditional fundie family photoshoot. There must be something in the KJV commanding these families to dress in their best almost-matching clothes and drag their tired, hungry kids outside to pose for these syrupy photographs. 

But cowboy boots on growing infants?

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Well sounds like Nurie has a horrible marriage. Not allowing to eat is controlling behavior. Guess Nurie went from one jail to another. 

Jill said that NATHAN doesn't eat. She didn't mention Nurie or Nemo (I assume Newbie is fed on demand). 

As for a kid each year, we may be spared next year since Nurie had this one so late in the year. Then again, Jill has 2 sets of Irish twins, so a 2023 baby could be possible if Nurie's as fertile as BME.

Edited by Salacious Kitty
Needed to be more specific
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4
8 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Well sounds like Nurie has a horrible marriage. Not allowing to eat is controlling behavior. Guess Nurie went from one jail to another. 

She went from living under one headship (her father) to another (her husband). I find the Rods interesting in a train-wreck-watching way because of JillR's doings sparked by her crazy narcissistic energy. Behind that stuff is what appears to be a fairly typical fundie (IFB type) patriarchal family. Like the Kellers, or the Duggars, or the Bateses, and the others who've popped up in these discussions. The details will differ from one family to another, but basically the guy rules the roost, they don't believe in fun (except for laughing AT people and playing cruel tricks on them), they think they are superior to the rest of the world because they are saved by believing in The Correct Jesus, and they have a LOT of rules to live by. IMO it's legalistic, cold, authoritarian, and drilled deep into the brains of all the kids as they grow up. Most of them aren't as (often unwittingly) entertaining as JillR, and IMO few of them post as incessantly on social media if at all. 

Nurie's no longer living with her batsh*t narcissist mother and her family of origin. But she's now starting her own fundie family, and if Nathan's a typical Keller that means she'll be pumping out a lot of kids while Nathan lays down the law and pursues his career as a fervent preacher of the fundie doctrines. 

I don't know that she's not "allowed" to eat until Nathan's done with his religious outbursts, or whether her marriage is particularly horrible. IMO it's probably a typical fundie marriage. At this time they are still young and probably enjoying teh sex and the joys of being first (and now second) time parents. The new hasn't worn off yet.

• Like 8
  • Applause 4

I’m sure they wait, because every fundie I know always puts “not eating as a family” as why the world is a dumpster fire. 
Especially if he does this every day, I don’t see her and the kids eating and then him eating alone. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • LOL 1
1 minute ago, Trillium said:

I’m sure they wait, because every fundie I know always puts “not eating as a family” as why the world is a dumpster fire. 
Especially if he does this every day, I don’t see her and the kids eating and then him eating alone. 

All jokes aside, I agree. Nurie is probably making him a hot breakfast every morning while he wails before the Lord. 

• Sad 8

Could it be something as simple though as saying a blessing before the meal. And Jill is being  overly dramatic,  as she can be? Not sure about the wailing bit but that could have been an isolated event? I just take most of what Jill says with a huge grain of salt! 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

Could it be something as simple though as saying a blessing before the meal. And Jill is being  overly dramatic,  as she can be? Not sure about the wailing bit but that could have been an isolated event? I just take most of what Jill says with a huge grain of salt! 

I think it's devotional time with a bible in hand. Even mainstream Christians do that on the daily. But yeah, this "wailing" is rather disturbing. Can't he study quietly?

• Like 8

If Nathan is screaming out, thank you Lord, Jesus, amen, or whatever, its a shame that we now know this. Somethings are better left private yet JillR is either laughing behind Nathan's back or is proud her SIL wails for Jesus. Either way we shouldn't know about it. God forbid Nate gets a hemorrhoid or something.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Like 9
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

She went from living under one headship (her father) to another (her husband). I find the Rods interesting in a train-wreck-watching way because of JillR's doings sparked by her crazy narcissistic energy. Behind that stuff is what appears to be a fairly typical fundie (IFB type) patriarchal family. Like the Kellers, or the Duggars, or the Bateses, and the others who've popped up in these discussions. The details will differ from one family to another, but basically the guy rules the roost, they don't believe in fun (except for laughing AT people and playing cruel tricks on them), they think they are superior to the rest of the world because they are saved by believing in The Correct Jesus, and they have a LOT of rules to live by. IMO it's legalistic, cold, authoritarian, and drilled deep into the brains of all the kids as they grow up. Most of them aren't as (often unwittingly) entertaining as JillR, and IMO few of them post as incessantly on social media if at all. 

A lot of our favourite famous fundies have managed to find spouses that are more mainstream of fundie-light than they grew up and while I don't agree with a lot of their choices in lifestyle, politics or childrearing, they do seem a lot happier and freer than they did as children. I would even argue that the kids seem a little more lively than the crew we saw on tv (in a lot of cases (Joy, Jessa, Carlin Bates) it almost seems like they've gone too far the other way and the kids need at least some structure, even if it isn't blanket training and jurisdictions). 

I don't think Nurie and the Rodlets (there's a band name) were/are going to find the Dereks, JereMes and Evans, though. They don't have the tv fame and money to attract the kind of guys who aren't to keen on supporting 15 people with a landscaping business. I would also guess that a fundie light guy would either be scared off or run off by Jill's holier than thou ways (and her need for sons-in-law with very deep pockets). 

I guess I keep dreaming that one of these poor kids is just going to run off independently or that a NotNurie can hatch a cunning plan with Lord Daniel at the laundromat whereby he fakes being the perfect fundie suitor until the wedding and then the two of them run off to open a pub, get all the birth control and send the NotNurie to college (while dying her hair blue and wearing shorts). 

• Like 8
  • Love 4

The funny thing with these Fundy families is, the wives are all strong women. Yes they play the submissive game, but both Michelle and JillR run their families 100%. Jessa too. While Jill, Jinger and Joy lay back a little more, they're still their own people.

Kelly Bates and her daughters are also strong women.

The curve ball comes with the sons, its seems most, if not all of the Bates/Duggar sons run their marriages. Well, maybe not Zach.

Then there's the unmarried Rod boys. Tim seems like an asshole and I have no idea about the other three, but I fear for any woman that marries Tim.

• Like 5
  • Love 9

I said I BET that they want to eat until Nathan is done wailing.   I did not say for sure they did.   However, given how Nurie was raised and their general belief of eating as a family I can believe it.

Now husband eating first is not a concept only in fundie land.   My great grandmother served husband first, THEN the kids got to eat, then if there was enough, she got to eat.   But there was no fasting by the kids so they could have more kids.   If anyone went without it was an adult.   Husband had to eat because he was doing physical labor that provided for the family.   So that leaves out Dave because he hardly works and its not physical.  The kids ate because you provide for your kids and you take care of them.   Which again NOT the Rods, the kids are just props to them.    So that left Mom.   Which we all know that JIll would NEVER go without herself.   Also I should point out, that my great grandmother was doing this in the early part of the 1900s.   Not today in 2022.  

• Like 2
  • Love 12
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

The funny thing with these Fundy families is, the wives are all strong women. Yes they play the submissive game, but both Michelle and JillR run their families 100%. Jessa too. While Jill, Jinger and Joy lay back a little more, they're still their own people.

Kelly Bates and her daughters are also strong women.

The curve ball comes with the sons, its seems most, if not all of the Bates/Duggar sons run their marriages. Well, maybe not Zach.

Then there's the unmarried Rod boys. Tim seems like an asshole and I have no idea about the other three, but I fear for any woman that marries Tim.

I don’t see Jinger as her own person at all, unfortunately.

• Like 15
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, AstridM said:

I don’t see Jinger as her own person at all, unfortunately.

Yeah I would agree with this. Jinger sometimes presents herself as Jeremy's accessory- she is his wife and mother to his kids, taker of his pictures, emulator of his interests. It's like the "Cool Girl" monologue from "Gone Girl". I see Jill (Dillard) as her own person even if she is fine to let Derek lead- in any family there are going to be stronger personalities than others. The rough thing is if you are a woman in fundy family with a strong personality, being able to express that yet still "fit the mold" can be difficult. 

9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I would think if you were a woman who didnt want to be "run" by a man, you'd stay single like Jana, or you find a kind guy with a mellow personality who would let you do what you wanted. The thing about courtship in fundy world is that the guy has to have SOME redeeming quality to "rope the woman in", once she is committed he has freedom to treat her however he wants (unfortunately) with few consequences. I don't see Tim having the interpersonal skills to do any "roping". I can see it very hard for Tim to even get into the "getting to know you stage" because he seems socially awkward and doesn't have much chance to meet women slowly in an organic way (co-workers, acquaintances etc). He also doesnt have a great paying job/or skills that indicate he would be a good provider.

• Like 5
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, ginger90 said:

And why is Jill sharing this? She’s a whackadoodle.

She thinks it’s something to boast about. That’s how twisted these people are.  Those poor, pitiful children who have to live with all of the insanity… 😭

• Sad 10
15 hours ago, merylinkid said:

If Nathan won't eat until he's dne wailing, you can bet no one else in that house does either, including Nemo.  No matter how hungry they might be.    Nurie probably makes sure that Nathan dips ups first.

I have thought for awhile now that Nemo looks like he doesn't get fed much. He resembles the younger Rodlets who look like they eat a cracker every other day and that's it. Newbo will be the same. The fact that Nurie will be homeschooling her gagillion kids, is terrifying.

• Like 1
  • Sad 18
32 minutes ago, Madtown said:

I have thought for awhile now that Nemo looks like he doesn't get fed much. He resembles the younger Rodlets who look like they eat a cracker every other day and that's it. Newbo will be the same. The fact that Nurie will be homeschooling her gagillion kids, is terrifying.

I imagine by the third generation of homeschooling there isn’t much actual learning other than Bible verses. 
ETA: Nemo and Newbo will be fourth generation home schoolers! Scary.

Edited by ozziemom
Miscount
  • Like 1
  • Sad 17
Just now, ozziemom said:

I imagine by the third generation of homeschooling there isn’t much actual learning other than Bible verses.

I have no problem with homeschooling as long as there are parents involved who care about their kids' education and are qualified to do so. We've seen Jill's version of homeschooling and it ain't great to say the least. To know that a child taught by Jill is going to homeschool her own kids is terrifying.

• Sad 17
29 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I have no problem with homeschooling as long as there are parents involved who care about their kids' education and are qualified to do so. We've seen Jill's version of homeschooling and it ain't great to say the least. To know that a child taught by Jill is going to homeschool her own kids is terrifying.

Oh definitely there are families that take homeschooling seriously but the Noyes/Rod/Keller group is more concerned with limiting who & what their kids are exposed to. At least based on what we see.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Here's a good one. On Jill's weekly radio show, she divulged that Nathan won't eat until he's spent time with the Lord. She continues that Nurie says it sounds like "wailing before the Lord." 

What the hell is going on in that house???

And God is wishing  he would STFU. 

• LOL 14
59 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Nemo was never chunky. Wonder if Nurie drinks plexus and breastfeeds? Plexus in breast milk does not sound like a good idea. Maybe that’s why Nemo is so trim.

We know for sure that Nurie was drinking the Plexus Trim, or whatever it’s called, after Nemo was born because Jill posted a video and you could hear Jill and Nurie talking about it in the background.  So there’s no doubt that Nemo is also a Plexus consumer.  I’m sure that Newmo is also drinking Plexus.  These people are fk’ing idiots.

• Like 5
  • Sad 12
1 hour ago, the-grey-lady said:

I can't tell whether these people are stupid, careless, or both.

I mean, these are the people who were driving around with their precious blessing not in his car seat when they got in a car accident so... both?

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Love 10
10 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I mean, these are the people who were driving around with their precious blessing not in his car seat when they got in a car accident so... both?

Because Jesus will protect them! No, Jesus gave you brains so you should know better. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 11
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

So who's going to take care of Ma when the Rods go gallivanting off to Florida for multiple weeks next month? Will Pa stay in the house and drive their car? And why can't he stay upstairs? What is Jill saving that room for? 

If Pa has any sense, he said, "No, the RV will be just fine for me." Would YOU want to stay in that gross house with 11 people and 11,854 doodads per room? 

As for Ma, she'll be ignored until Jill needs another reason for a fundraiser. 

• Sad 12
  • Love 7

2A30C3E0-7B03-40A9-9196-9AC616D99065.jpeg

1AACF3AF-1FAD-4587-B9FF-7243B1A1F26A.jpeg

Well, my Mom got successfully transferred to the xxxxxxxxx (Assisted Living/Rehab Center) near us!  😁  I am THRILLED that they are so close!  God is SO Good!  SO, at night Daddy is camping out at our place in our RV, and during the day we take turns going to visit and help care for Ma.  What an HONOR to help my parents out in this way!  😊🥰😉😁  My Mom still has limited use on her right side and her left hip is still really sore due to her break / surgery.  😢  She has a LONG road of recovery in front of her, but we are cheering her on every step of the way!  ❤❤

• Sad 10

Honestly, I think Ma would be safer and better cared for near her other daughters. I wonder how this transpired? I have no doubt that this is Jill's will being done. The only purpose I can see is for Jill to grift. I hope Ma really is getting good care and by care, I don't mean hair and make up.

• Like 9
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Honestly, I think Ma would be safer and better cared for near her other daughters. I wonder how this transpired? I have no doubt that this is Jill's will being done. The only purpose I can see is for Jill to grift. I hope Ma really is getting good care and by care, I don't mean hair and make up.

I agree. I bet we will soon see taking care of Ma will be EXTREMELY exhausting for Jill, a meal train will need to be set up to feed the Rod fam.

"Thank you to our sweet friends who brought us dinner tonight, even though we have 7 adults (counting Pa) in our household, we can't possibly cook or pick up dinner for our family. Blessed!"

• Like 4
  • Love 8

Yeah I think I would choose the RV too.   Of course, who knows what will happen to poor Pa when Jill needs it to go grifting.

Kaylee and Jonathan CHOSE to go on a double date with her parents to celebrate 1 month of marriage.   Because what newlywed couple doesn't want to double date with the parental units.   We ALL know who paid.  

Jill managed a date night with DBD while talking about her "healthy" children.   Lady those kids do not look healthy.   Also, shouldn't you be caring for your SEVERELY ill Ma and helping Pa adjust?

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8