Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Looks like Keppra.  The 'staging' of the photo is absolutely ridiculous, of course, but, so is Carlin.

OMG, the staging is freaking ridiculous. And I'm sure Dime cosmetics is pleased to be associated with seizures. 🙃

• LOL 5
  • Love 10
16 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

I believe Jill must truly be a master at brainwashing like no other before her.  The older kids don't exhibit a shred of evidence that they may breakout.  I know their stories have not been told yet and I sincerely hope I'm wrong.  Maybe somewhere down the line, one of them will escape.

The Turpin children were locked up at home, barely ever let out, never talked to a stranger, and still, the oldest girls knew something was WRONG.  If anyone watched the 20/20 episode about them, I can't shake it and I can't stop thinking about them when I read about Jill's crew.  

How has she so effectively brainwashed her children?  These poor kids make the Duggers and other fundies appear almost normal.  She's used the same tactics (isolation, fear, ignorance, hell and damnation, superiority) as other families we've seen, and yet she's done it with an entirely different level of horrifying success. 

She’s an evil master manipulator, just like Jim Jones was.  She has those children scared to death of anyone who is not in their Fundie circle.  There’s no telling what she tells those kids or does to those kids behind closed doors.  I shudder to think about it.  I hope that one of these days she pays dearly for destroying those 13 lives.

• Sad 11
  • Love 10

A typical family would have had pictures of the mom with the little ones at the park and of the older ones off on their own at a nearby coffee shop. Or the mom at home, while the older ones went out. Or 75 other variations that we'll never see with JillR.

• Like 8
  • Sad 6
  • Love 5

Those aren't bills. They're simply forms to fill out. You can read one section asking for insurance information. Surprisingly she didn't take a picture of a completed from thus broadcasting their personal info all over the internet.

• Like 2
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2

I believe something is wrong with her.   They don't give you anti-seizure meds for fun.   They don't do a 3 day EEG test either just for fun or to make the patient feel better.   So I'm going with the medical professionals have actually examined her and who had enough concern to do these things.

However, she doesn't need to be putting every single thing out there on social media.   Just, you know, take a break for an hour or so, you know.   Also the filming the daughter playing Mommy was just creepy.

• Like 6
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I believe something is wrong with her.   They don't give you anti-seizure meds for fun.   They don't do a 3 day EEG test either just for fun or to make the patient feel better.   So I'm going with the medical professionals have actually examined her and who had enough concern to do these things.

However, she doesn't need to be putting every single thing out there on social media.   Just, you know, take a break for an hour or so, you know.   Also the filming the daughter playing Mommy was just creepy.

they really aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, are they? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Notabug said:

Looks like Keppra.  The 'staging' of the photo is absolutely ridiculous, of course, but, so is Carlin.

It is ridiculous, but it did remind me I still need to take my meds. 😁

⬇️ I know she could have paid $35-$50 of that (not really a) bill without begging her fans for money.

4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Carlin:

FA59DEE6-6606-4641-BDB7-EAB1CA5B07BF.jpeg

• Love 1
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Agree.

Such a confusing story the way she presents it though. She's passing out. They ruled out all the "big things." She wore a halter heart monitor and presumably that was negative. They must have done point EEG's. Did they see evidence of seizure activity on those? Probably not. So is the trial of medicine (Keppra perhaps) to see if it stopped her episodes? To me it's confusing that they would not have just done the 3 day EEG prior to even starting the medication. Maybe my timeline/info is wrong here.

Either way, if she is prone to episodes and overrun with medical bills, then why are they simultaneously posting pics of her carrying the children up the stairs (dangerous!), getting mani/pedi's and working on the new flooring... 

• Like 2
  • Love 10
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

Agree.

Such a confusing story the way she presents it though. She's passing out. They ruled out all the "big things." She wore a halter heart monitor and presumably that was negative. They must have done point EEG's. Did they see evidence of seizure activity on those? Probably not. So is the trial of medicine (Keppra perhaps) to see if it stopped her episodes? To me it's confusing that they would not have just done the 3 day EEG prior to even starting the medication. Maybe my timeline/info is wrong here.

Either way, if she is prone to episodes and overrun with medical bills, then why are they simultaneously posting pics of her carrying the children up the stairs (dangerous!), getting mani/pedi's and working on the new flooring... 

It can take some time for the 3 day EEG to be scheduled.  The equipment is expensive and most hospitals don't have an unlimited equipment budget, so they probably only have 1 or 2 units.  Each unit is out for 3 days when the testing is being done and then needs to be inspected and tested and cleaned before the next client gets to use it.  There also has to be a nurse or other professional to not only set up the EEG, but also to explain to the patient and their family what to do for any specific problems.  Then, the person having the EEG has to not only be off their meds for a proscribed period of time, but also has to probably stay within a certain radius of the medical center while using it in case there is a problem.  If they're really lucky and things go well, each unit can maybe get 2 extended EEG's done in a week.  

Considering all that and the fact that Carlin and Evan have been spending more time out of town at various taffy pulls and goat ropings with family than they've spent at home, it's pretty lucky she is going to be able to get it done so soon.

In the meantime, putting her on an anti-seizure med to try to prevent her from hurting herself or others, especially since she's been pretty clearly non-compliant and doing whatever she wants despite the doctor's advice, makes sense for the interim.  Not to mention the time and money spent on speeding to the ER every time she has an episode.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 11

My husband had a seizure in 2014 (and again in 2018). Both in April of those respective years. They did an EEG in the hospital, found nothing. MRI - nothing. He did dislocate his shoulder in the process, so that had to get fixed. However, he was placed on Keppra. After his seizure in 2018 he was placed on Zonisamide. Hasn't had seizures that we know of. Those two were generalized convulsive seizures (i.e., grand mal), and he may have had an absence (i.e., petit mal) seizure the summer of 2014 while on Keppra. However, no discussion of a multi-day EEG came up.

The forms that Carlin had in the photo may be financial assistance applications from the hospital. The hospital where my husband was treated offered that option to patients - especially when the medical bill was over $100K! We took it, and I think we ended up paying about $5K over a payment plan. 

• Useful 9
(edited)
13 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

She’s an evil master manipulator, just like Jim Jones was.  She has those children scared to death of anyone who is not in their Fundie circle.  There’s no telling what she tells those kids or does to those kids behind closed doors.  I shudder to think about it.  I hope that one of these days she pays dearly for destroying those 13 lives.

I agree but I also think she's more comparable to Charles Manson than Jim Jones. I once saw an author who'd written bios on both of them note that Manson would have wanted to wield the power and charisma that Jones had, but he was too dysfunctional himself to successfully do that with anyone but his handful of followers, many of whom were equally as dysfunctional and disconnected from society. Jones was outwardly successful and normal enough to have a congregations that totaled in the thousands in two different states, acquired powerful supporters and positions in civil life, and reeled in some really educated, well-to-do folk before things took a very dark turn. 

And I think that is why Jill is more like Manson. She is too obviously batshit crazy to really work on people outside of her weird little corner of society. She's never going to wield the influence that she would really like to because she is too off-putting. But within her little realm of the family, I think she is a master manipulator and puppetmaster, and I think her children are sincerely terrified of her. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 4
  • Sad 10
  • Useful 2
  • Love 15

Sort of jumping off the Alert discussion in another thread...

Kelly Bates was once asked what she would do/feel if one of her kids turned out to be gay. Her answer was far worse than Derick and Jill's. I can't remember her exact words, but after struggling with stunned silence, she basically said it wouldn't/couldn't happen.

We've all calculated the odds - Bates, 19 kids, Duggars, 19 kids and Rods, 13 kids - so it seems almost impossible for each family not to have a child who is gay.

I wonder if having a gay child would wake any of these families up.

• Sad 16
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Kelly Bates was once asked what she would do/feel if one of her kids turned out to be gay. Her answer was far worse than Derick and Jill's. I can't remember her exact words, but after struggling with stunned silence, she basically said it wouldn't/couldn't happen.

We've all calculated the odds - Bates, 19 kids, Duggars, 19 kids and Rods, 13 kids - so it seems almost impossible for each family not to have a child who is gay.

I doubt it. It would probably leave the child homeless. 

• Sad 12
  • Love 6
45 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

34253128-94DA-4C71-B6C5-73271CE11CA8.jpeg

"travels"   They went mini golfing.   Probably the local place.    That's not travel.

And OF COURSE they ahd another day out, because heaven forbid they do any actual work.   Jill needs to fill that instagram feed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, merylinkid said:

"travels"   They went mini golfing.   Probably the local place.    That's not travel.

And OF COURSE they ahd another day out, because heaven forbid they do any actual work.   Jill needs to fill that instagram feed.

I was guessing John caught up with them somewhere during their grifting circuit. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if at least a couple of these kids were gay, but I see almost no way that they could ever tell their parents about it and not be immediately banished.  So, I don't think we'll ever know if any of them are gay because they are too afraid of the consequences within the family and have been raised in such isolation and such fear of people who are not part of the cult that they'll never go public.

Sort of like it was 100 years ago when people who were gay simply lead miserable lives pretending to be straight because they saw no viable alternative.

• Like 1
  • Sad 27
12 minutes ago, Notabug said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if at least a couple of these kids were gay, but I see almost no way that they could ever tell their parents about it and not be immediately banished.  So, I don't think we'll ever know if any of them are gay because they are too afraid of the consequences within the family and have been raised in such isolation and such fear of people who are not part of the cult that they'll never go public.

Sort of like it was 100 years ago when people who were gay simply lead miserable lives pretending to be straight because they saw no viable alternative.

Its sad. They don't even have a friend, teacher or coach they could confide in. Like you said, they're destined to live a straight life, while likely trying to pray the gay away.

Someone needs to start making smiley rainbow tracts and mailing them out to Fundies.

I wish I was rich - I'd reach out to David for an order of rainbow tracts for an obscene payment just to see if he would bite. It would make my heart sing thinking of his printing press printing out tracts supporting the LGBT+ community.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 19
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Zella said:

I agree but I also think she's more comparable to Charles Manson than Jim Jones. I once saw an author who'd written bios on both of them note that Manson would have wanted to wield the power and charisma that Jones had, but he was too dysfunctional himself to successfully do that with anyone but his handful of followers, many of whom were equally as dysfunctional and disconnected from society. Jones was outwardly successful and normal enough to have a congregations that totaled in the thousands in two different states, acquired powerful supporters and positions in civil life, and reeled in some really educated, well-to-do folk before things took a very dark turn. 

And I think that is why Jill is more like Manson. She is too obviously batshit crazy to really work on people outside of her weird little corner of society. She's never going to wield the influence that she would really like to because she is too off-putting. But within her little realm of the family, I think she is a master manipulator and puppetmaster, and I think her children are sincerely terrified of her. 

Not to mention, Jim Jones actually did some good before he went off the deep end.  Something Jill has never done.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Not to mention, Jim Jones actually did some good before he went off the deep end.  Something Jill has never done.  

But wait! Didn't she once give a free ride to a lowly ordinary member of her church? And don't forget how she brought that guy to the Lord named Daniel in the Laundromat! 

See how's she's persecuted by the minions of Satan? Nobody gives her credit for all her good works. 😉

• Useful 1
  • LOL 21
  • Love 1

Y’all need to check out Jill’s chapel in the woods post on FB, specifically the video where Jonathan is “preaching”.  Creepy is the first word that came to mind when I watched it.  Creepy, cult, brainwashed and psycho.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 4
(edited)

I think JillR is a narcissist, but I really don't think she has a clue to how damaging she is as a parent. Her actions are selfish and manipulative but its because its part of who she is, there's really no intent on her part.

JillR is kind of like Joy, just skipping along living life, except Jill's narcissism leaves a lot of damage in her wake. Narcissism and Fundiness are a bad, bad combination.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Like 2
  • Sad 5
  • Love 7
33 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

He did but I don't think it was for good reasons. He seemed to be off since he was a kid. That and he developed a drug addiction later. 

55 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Men entered into marriages of convenience (plus if you were wealthy, you rarely married for love), had the requisite number of children and went about your "business". Women too but I think they were less likely as they didn't have the freedoms men did. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Maybe that is what happened to Tim.   It would explain some of his anti-women rants.   His Mom wants him to marry a nice girl and he finds the idea of being with a woman sexually repulsive.   So he blames the women because he can't just say "Nah, mom I want to marry Stu  I met at the grocery store."  It would also explain the banishment.   How dare he not live up to her ideal of the perfect child who will carry on her legacy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Maybe that is what happened to Tim.   It would explain some of his anti-women rants.   His Mom wants him to marry a nice girl and he finds the idea of being with a woman sexually repulsive.   So he blames the women because he can't just say "Nah, mom I want to marry Stu  I met at the grocery store."  It would also explain the banishment.   How dare he not live up to her ideal of the perfect child who will carry on her legacy.

Wasn't Tim supposed to be a "difficult" toddler? They've been fighting him over who he is since the day he was born. What a miserable life that boy has had in that home! 😢

• Sad 20

I think Tim is scrambling to make money so he can buy a house/trailer. Owning a home is a box Fundy men are supposed to check in order to catch a Fundy bride. I don't think Tim could handle it if a 3rd sister gets married before him.

I'm guessing by this time next year Timmy will be a home owner.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

I think Tim is scrambling to make money so he can buy a house/trailer. Owning a home is a box Fundy men are supposed to check in order to catch a Fundy bride. I don't think Tim could handle it if a 3rd sister gets married before him.

And married soon after. I pity the woman. 

• Like 7

I grew up in the 60s - 70s, in a house built in 1909. The house still had its original hardwood floors. My pre-weather event home was built in the 40s - original hardwood floors. My home now has hardwood floors.

I'm fairly certain laminate flooring won't hold up for 50 - 100+ years. Carlin thinks of trendy and SM postable - and nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Tim seems to end up in Jill's doghouse quite frequently, often in the wake of her birthday and/or Mother's Day. I used to joke about it being because he didn't adequately honor her in her deranged eyes, but I've started to suspect that is actually true. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Love 4
48 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Knowing Jill, I doubt he's allowed to keep the money he earned. It's really meant to pay tribute to her amazing 'Mama'-ness.

• Sad 7
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

F2EB49A9-2665-4D5F-AD84-F21F7423A1E4.jpeg

Comments from a different post:

D284E108-898B-42CB-B026-927E92FF2156.jpeg

Does the post from Bates fam mean KJ is volunteering to help?? Or is this in response to all the comments wondering where she was since she wasn’t with Carlin…..

• LOL 1
4 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Knowing Jill, I doubt he's allowed to keep the money he earned. It's really meant to pay tribute to her amazing 'Mama'-ness.

True, but having a single adult son looks poorly on her parenting, so I think she's pushing for him to get married.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I was guessing John caught up with them somewhere during their grifting circuit. 

And ended up paying for mini-golf for 15 and probably ice cream afterwards, for a grand total of about $350.

• Sad 6
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, ozziemom said:

Does the post from Bates fam mean KJ is volunteering to help?? Or is this in response to all the comments wondering where she was since she wasn’t with Carlin…..

KJ volunteering to help? As if! She’ll probably send a few kids around. 

Edited by FizzyPuff
  • Like 7