Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

58 minutes ago, Aja said:

It's totally insane that anybody would think the outfit she's wearing is immodest.

But....but I can see KNEES. I feel totally defrauded. Like totally.

And not to rag on a young child, but just how many patterns does she have going on? I seem to remember Josie & Jordyn Duggar sporting the same 'look'. Maybe it's fundy fashion 2016?

• Love 2

What is it about knees that are so defrauding? I can understand breast or butt  cleavage or bare thighs or swimsuits or midriffs but KNEES? Maybe I'm just not with it or something.

But then in the Victorian Era, a glimpse of ankle was scandalous...even the roasted birds had little covers on their ankles and so did table legs.

• Love 3

That's where the leg ruffles for chickens and turkeys come from?  I'm happy to know even though I haven't seen any in decades.   The long shorts aren't tight and are probably less revealing than some of the skirts I've seen on Jessa Dillard.  Many of the fundies have been showing knees while wearing skirts so maybe they're slowing figuring it out.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lulu69 said:

But....but I can see KNEES. I feel totally defrauded. Like totally.

And not to rag on a young child, but just how many patterns does she have going on? I seem to remember Josie & Jordyn Duggar sporting the same 'look'. Maybe it's fundy fashion 2016?

It's a lot of pattern, but she's 9 and so I let those girls and boys have as much fun as they can while they're still young. I let my daughter wear some pretty wacky, mismatched stuff because she's 10 and she thinks she looks awesome. As long as it's appropriate for school (no flip flops, won't fling off on the playground) and weather appropriate I'm fine with it. And then, when she's older, I can embarrass her.

• Love 7

Duggars should have Marjorie write their birthday wishes for the dug kids.  She managed to write about her little sister and not one Jesus/God reference.  Oh Marjorie how I wish you were older and "dating" not courting a Duggar.  Now that would be fun to watch.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, auntieminem said:

Duggars should have Marjorie write their birthday wishes for the dug kids.  She managed to write about her little sister and not one Jesus/God reference.  Oh Marjorie how I wish you were older and "dating" not courting a Duggar.  Now that would be fun to watch.

Anything would be more fun than watching someone court a Duggar!

• Love 3

These things interest me not at all.  I had a miserable 20s listening to this  and never contributing anything.  My husband would think I was nuts for putting attention on this.  So, therefore, why did he drag me along to his fecund sister's house to "visit" and be stuck hearing this.  Mabye he wanted to make me miserable but I think he just wanted to hang with the guys.

• Love 2
On 6/8/2016 at 8:10 PM, louannems said:

RiilRod and family have been drifting and grifting for weeks.  Free meals from nice people keep her brood fed.  Even strangers just hand them money! Oh, and because marriage come before the kids, they dumped the oldest ELEVENTY hundred kids off at her sisters house and went camping!  Without the kids!  WTF!

Number 13 can't make itself! Jill and Gomez need some alone sexy time for that. ewwwww brain bleach, brain bleach

• Love 4
(edited)

Those kids, cramped inside the stink bus, getting dragged all over the place, and having to hear the parents having sex JUST A FEW FEET AWAY!!! That needs the brain bleach!

Edited by louannems
  • Love 8
51 minutes ago, louannems said:

Those kids, cramped inside the stink bus, getting dragged all over the place, and having to hear the parents having sex JUST A FEW FEET AWAY!!! That needs the brain bleach!

What a revolting thought...Chimpy grunting and the drag queen's makeup running! I'll see myself out....

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

What a revolting thought...Chimpy grunting and the drag queen's makeup running! I'll see myself out....

Ewww! I can't bring myself to "like" that, even though it sounds frighteningly accurate. Brain bleach, indeed. And a barf bag.

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Ewww! I can't bring myself to "like" that, even though it sounds frighteningly accurate. Brain bleach, indeed. And a barf bag.

Yes, it was more frighteningly accurate than I realized as well. It will take me a long time to pray that disturbing thought away!

On 5/5/2016 at 2:45 PM, Sew Sumi said:
  • Spoiler

Sorry for the above stupid looking post.  Had trouble quoting & had to post to clear everything out. 

On 6/8/2016 at 9:10 PM, louannems said:

RiilRod and family have been drifting and grifting for weeks.  Free meals from nice people keep her brood fed.  Even strangers just hand them money! Oh, and because marriage come before the kids, they dumped the oldest ELEVENTY hundred kids off at her sisters house and went camping!  Without the kids!  WTF!

Not to mention they attended a show at the Sight & Sound theater in Amish country in Pennsylvania.  I've been there a few times and their shows are great.  They are biblical based and very well done.  How could  they afford the show or were the tickets grifted too?  I just checked the website & the tickets range from $54-$74/each for adults. It's a shame they didn't bring the brood along cuz I'm sure they would have loved it.  There is always something going on besides the show on the stage - things flying overhead,  real animals & people coming down the aisles (when we saw "Noah").  Not sure what Baby Sofia thought of the show as things are quite loud & busy but she should just  be lucky she got to go.  

• Love 2

i didnt even listen to it ---just read a few of the paragraphs. believe me, VERY few christians would agree with him. so sad to see such hatred and garbage spread in the name of God.

• Love 3

I read that the PP had said something yesterday, but I knew better than to seek it out. I guess it's good that people know where this piece of shit stands, rather than reading the passive aggressive Seewald ramblings.

Im pretty surprised Alyssa hasn't posted anything on her IG. I mean, even Jessa Blessa and Bin were able to see past their prejudice and put up a post, and Alyssa lives in FL!

All the fundies have been pretty quite about this for the most part. Disgusting. If it was a in a church vs a gay bar they would absolutely post something. 

• Love 2

Folks, once again we are reeling from another tragedy. Feel free to commiserate (without pointing blame/talking politics) in the Small Talk area. We've removed several posts that were getting too heated and hitting that political talk line. Let's come together rather than stew in anger.

32 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Especially given the fact that they're going to hold hands for the first time at their wedding (maybe), kiss, then in a few hours, he'll be all over her. Fundies who do it this way are by far the creepiest, but I guess Jesus loves them best because they're soooooo pure!!!!!!11

Did they really pledge not to hold hands until the wedding? Wow, that's extreme, but they look like a very sweet couple  and they seem very sincere. The families gave been friends for a long tine, and they probably know more about one another than SmugAnna, Benessa, or Jerick did prior to tying the knot.

(edited)

BUT, these two claim that they never spoke to each other until February of this year. It sounds like they had limited email contact for a few months, prior, but spoke on the phone in February and were engaged in March to marry next month. Given known Gothard standards, I imagine groups were tightly segregated by gender, and her family is mostly girls. 

What gets me is that she had to have read the email from Daniel to her father. How else would she known it was SHE that he was interested in? She has a couple other sisters of marriagable age (near as I can tell, she's 21/22; he's about 25). She talks about an older sister; why couldn't it have been her that he liked? Hmmmm.....eta: I just read that said sister had a woefully dull courtship with another Gothardite boy and is off the market. Still, she is not the only girl in that family they could marry off at this time...

Edited by Sew Sumi

Sew, I find that hard to believe that the family knew one another for a number of years but they didn't speak, unless they mean speaking in a courtshippy sort of way rather than common politeness and superficial discussions.

i skimmed over the smallish font and didn't read it thoroughly. Fundies do have very brief courtships. I like that though she dresses very modestly, she wears well cut and well fitting clothes and looks stylish and put together...Duggettes, are you paying attention?

I agree that they strain levels of belief; I generally read these testimonies with huge grains of salt. Her family is also apparently Gothard Royalty, so even if these two hadn't talked, they certainly knew ABOUT one-another, especially since these two families, with a third, put on some hokey weekend seminar every year. These Gothard peeps are pretty incestuous with their courting rituals. 

27 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I agree that they strain levels of belief; I generally read these testimonies with huge grains of salt. Her family is also apparently Gothard Royalty, so even if these two hadn't talked, they certainly knew ABOUT one-another, especially since these two families, with a third, put on some hokey weekend seminar every year. These Gothard peeps are pretty incestuous with their courting rituals. 

They seemed Gothardly...looking at her family page made me stabby when I saw "season of life" and "sweet fellowship" mentioned too many times for any sane person to tolerate.

They really are incestuous...Michelle couldn't wait to mention the possibility of a Duggar-Bates courtship the minute she saw both sets of kids interacting.. Big Sandy homeschool conference is the Irish Traveler's equivalent of the horse fair, where everyone hopes to find their life mate.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Except in Gothardland, the 15 year old perspective brides aren't dressed like street ho's on crack. LOL

Yeah, there's that.  I did watch some of the documentaries on Irish Travelers. They have very strict morals and purity rules, despite looking like hoochies--the boys know they can look but no touch. Unlike the Duggars, most of them keep scrupulously clean homes.

Duggars at a Traveler wedding ? They would gave to spend the whole evening looking at the floor.

• Love 1
(edited)

@Micks Picks It's in my link a few posts back. It's a courtship story of some Gothard royalty friends of the Duggars and (I assume, since the girl's family is from western NC) also the Bateses. The story is...something...

Edited by Sew Sumi
(edited)

Morning all, I can't figure out who you're talking about either. What link? All I see is that crazy guy link...

Edit, wuaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I clicked on that Zsuthingy's link. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?? She is mad. Pure pure mad

Edited by MunichNark
  • Love 2
(edited)

For which topic? PP's original video was posted, but it was taken down by YouTube. I posted a link from Patheos that mirrored the video so it can still be viewed. 

I also posted a blog link about a bizarro fundie courtship in which the couple was engaged exactly one month after their first phone conversation. 

Then I just posted Zsu's latest rant about sodomites = pedophiles and how they should all be destroyed. Yes, she is nucking futs. I have a duty to remind people of that when they start talking about how she feeds her family organic food and lots of butter. Their bodies may be well-nourished (but not really, tons of carbs), but she and the PP are polluting their children's minds with pure hate. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6

Zsu and PP are doubtless a pair of unhinged loons. 

Though I realize the guy that posted a rant was trying to make a point, he could have left their kids out of it.  Quite frankly, it made me cringe that someone would write that.

He could have asked how it would feel if someone harmed  them for being Christians or admonish them not to be so preachy in case one of their own kids turned out to be gay. 

• Love 3

Oh, that makes me so ANGRY!!! How, exactly does one come to the conclusion that one's sexual orientation makes them less than human, that it makes them so depraved as to no longer have any shred of conscience? How?? Even the Bible doesn't go so far as to claim that. 

And as for the letter she shares, while it was strongly worded, she misses the point. I'm sure the writer didn't literally mean he would gleefully see her children raped. It was an illustration of how horrible it is to wish violent harm to befall others. In his (justified) anger he used an example which would be sure to hit a nerve, but all she can see is her point about the inhuman savagery of the "sodomite"being reinforced.

I don't doubt that were one of her kids turn out to be gay they would keep him or her in some sort of conversion therapy until they either capitulated or broke (probably both in the long run), so I don't even see that as an example of something that would open their minds. I am sure that they would have no trouble completely turning their backs on a gay child who was unwilling to deny and crush this facet of their being. 

Maybe if the child, or a trusted friend, kept that aspect successfully hidden for decades, and they knew them so well otherwise that they could see there was no actual evil or inhumanity there...maybe if they found out about it way further down the line they might concede that it wasn't automatically a given that this person would have no conscience or self-contrrol. But, again, I doubt it. First of all, I don't think a lot of these people actually DO know each other. They are so trained from infancy to die to any individuality or aspiration outside of living for Jesus that there is, ideally (in their minds) no actual room for any unique personality. And, second, it would no doubt be seen as Satan's work as the master deceiver having run through their entire life. Any good the person might have done in the past would probably be dismissed as fraud and deceitfulness.

• Love 10

The things is, when Jesus said to follow, Him, I don't think He meant for people to become mindless automatons. Faith is a journey, and yes understanding your beliefs as well as critical thinking are required as well.

i wonder if Zsu and PP are aware that the legal definition of "sodomy" includes sexual acts that most straight married couples also engage in. Somehow, I'm sure he'll find a way to justify a BJ. Does that make him a pedophile?

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

I'm sure that Zsu and PP are straight-up missionary with the lights off.

Or, if not exactly, that they at least limit it to positions where no seed is wasted. 

Why, exactly, do I keep giving myself these visuals? Make it stop!

• Love 2
(edited)
19 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I'm sure that Zsu and PP are straight-up missionary with the lights off.

Judging from PP's sermons where he often yells graphic depictions of homosexual activity that he ABSOLUTELY does not want done to him, I pretty sure it's in and out as simply and quickly as humanly possible. The footage of him passionately and repeatedly banging two bolts together for an awkwardly long length of time to illustrate how "wrong" gay sex is must be seen to be believed. Hey, he's completely obsessed with my sex life, so I feel justified in making an extremely educated guess about his.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 16

For every vile diatribe they receive, I bet they receive at least ten thoughtful, respectful e-mails challenging them on their batshit worldview. I'd like Zsu (or ANY fundie--Duggars? Bateseses? Maxwells? Rodriguii?) respond to one of these. It's easy and 100% justified to dismiss a crazy lunatic who is wishing horror upon her children, but why won't anyone respond to the perfectly logical, non-threatening requests for clarification about their insane inconsistencies and direct opposition to almost everything Jesus actually taught. PP bases all of his leprechaun-y outrage on the one Leviticus verse that they all are so very passionately in love with,  yet I've never seen one fundy address the laundry list of offences listed in Leviticus (or elsewhere in the Bible) that are supposedly punishable by death. (Adultry is one. Would PP like to stone Josh Duggar to death himself, or does he feel this is the responsibility of the state?) Ignoring the verdict of a judge is punishable by death also, so by breathlessly tongue-bathing people like Kim Davis and banning homosexuals from his church it stands to reason that he's probably beating himself in the head with a rock right now as we speak. No? Defy the Bible in its entirety and see what happens, PP.

• Love 8
(edited)

Well, Zsu blogged not long after one of the Joshgate scandals last year that the Duggars were now too liberal for the Andersons. This is a definite change, as Zsu used to hold up the Duggars as paragons of Christianity. Zsu is smart enough to realize her brand of Christianity is as extremist and dangerous as fundamentalist Islam. The Duggars just happen to be one rung up the ladder, since they don't openly wish death on the sodomites (and I bet that's how the LGBT community is referred to behind closed doors at the Duggar/Seewald/Dillard compounds). They just know that it's a brand-killer to espouse these views publicly, aside from an occasional bigoted robocall and passive-aggressive biblical digs that can be seen as harmless by those who refuse to look at the Big Picture Duggars. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

The mods have been giving a lot leeway in that Sweet Fellowship topic, but it's turning into talking about sorts of evangelicals and that have never been on the show. There is a Bates forum, and the internet to talk about others, but not only is it straying from the topic (especially with the Rodriguez family) it's becoming a place to just research and discuss evangelical and that's not the point of this forum or topic. The Duggars provide enough. We don't need to discuss all the different types of families, especially those that have never been shown with the Duggars. Please take the conversation somewhere else. There are plenty of places to discuss the many religions in the world.

And on another note. A post was hidden on here about someone not minding a certain woman being raped. This is gross and totally unacceptable on here. Rape is a very sensitive topic for a lot of posters. It is not something to joke about. Posts making these type of statements will be hidden or deleted at the discretion of the mods.

I bet they were just waiting for something so they could dress up as cowboys! But, Prissy needs another shirt. That one is too tight! It's a shame I follow these forums, if I had just come across the picture in facebook, I would have thought it was a cute family picture (while I would also say her shirt is too tight and looks uncomfortable).  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Catlyn said:

I bet they were just waiting for something so they could dress up as cowboys! But, Prissy needs another shirt. That one is too tight! It's a shame I follow these forums, if I had just come across the picture in facebook, I would have thought it was a cute family picture (while I would also say her shirt is too tight and looks uncomfortable).  

I agree.  Regarding her shirt, since she's wearing her modesty Tshirt underneath, why not  leave her cowgirl blouse unbuttoned?  Would definitely be more comfortable. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Big Sky Girl, is Old Time Religion an appropriate place to talk about Rodriguii and the Andersons since there's no evidence  of them rubbing elbows with the Duggars other than Gothard or IFB?

Maybe a new topic called The Lunatic Fringe, a place to discuss the Rodriguii, the Andersons, and other extreme Fundies

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Big Sky Girl, is Old Time Religion an appropriate place to talk about Rodriguii and the Andersons since there's no evidence  of them rubbing elbows with the Duggars other than Gothard or IFB?

Maybe a new topic called The Lunatic Fringe, a place to discuss the Rodriguii, the Andersons, and other extreme Fundies

Let me check with the other mods.