Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Is that ballet overture music at the beginning? Is David a fan of ballet?

It's all hymns/religious music. Under no circumstances would TFDW publically admit to liking (or even knowing about) ballet, between the cultural aspect and the defrauding costuming.

Edited, because I was having probs cutting & pasting.

And where might I find these gems? I NEED TO SEE THIS.

I just Googled Waller-Keller wedding, and it's on YouTube. It runs just over an hour, but the best thing is, you're not stuck in a pew, so you can do other things at the same time! Edited by Liz Tudor
  • Love 3

And where might I find these gems? I NEED TO SEE THIS. I went to a wedding where the bride walked down the aisle to " how do you solve a problem like Maria" , isn't that brillant?

It is.

And since the actual answer was "Give her eleventy-seven children and make them all sing together in public" they could have used it at a Duggar wedding. Although I guess you wouldn't want to a call a Duggar daughter a cloud you can't pin down. Might give them ideas. Could've worked for Jessa, though.

• Love 5

It's all hymns/religious music. Under no circumstances would TFDW publically admit to liking (or even knowing about) ballet, between the cultural aspect and the defrauding costuming.

I shazamed it, it's a galop from Schubert symphony no. 2.
  • Love 1

And since the actual answer was "Give her eleventy-seven children and make them all sing together in public" they could have used it at a Duggar wedding. Although I guess you wouldn't want to a call a Duggar daughter a cloud you can't pin down. Might give them ideas. Could've worked for Jessa, though.

But realistically, they're never going to see that movie. It's the nazis vs. the Catholics. Who are they going to root for?

• Love 12

But realistically, they're never going to see that movie. It's the nazis vs. the Catholics. Who are they going to root for?

You'd probably have to start by explaining that Austria isn't in Germany.  

• Love 19

Haha! However, I bet they HAVE seen the movie. Both Duggars and Bateses have posted pictures of themselves with the new generation of Von Trapp family singers. I think they're Kurt's (or "Kurt." I forget if they changed his name in the movie) grandkids, and they apparently make the Christian family-friendly circuit of events around the country. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4

I shazamed it, it's a galop from Schubert symphony no. 2.

Wow. You must be a glutton for punishment to watch it again to shazaam it! I still have a very heavy-handed version of "Trust & Obey" rattling around in my head, lol. I would think these people would think Schubert is a fruit-flavored kind of frozen dessert, but I stand roundly corrected!

• Love 4

Wow. You must be a glutton for punishment to watch it again to shazaam it! I still have a very heavy-handed version of "Trust & Obey" rattling around in my head, lol. I would think these people would think Schubert is a fruit-flavored kind of frozen dessert, but I stand roundly corrected!

This was like the first minute of the YouTube video. I sure as hell wasn't going to watch the whole thing.

I had a quick glance at the actual "19 kids" episode. Gothard isn't in it, so if he was when it first aired, TLC have erased him, like the Josiah arm twist and the Bates anorexic mangy horse.

• Love 1

I don't think I can manage to watch it myself, but does anyone know who the enthusiastic pianist was? Was it Erin Bates, by chance?

The way the baby grand was positioned, I couldn't see. Because I thought it might be Erin, too. You can see the top of a head that looks like it has short hair, so I assumed it was a man, but don't hold me to it. Would the Bateses have been there? I don't think I saw any, but who can tell...these folks all start to look alike in a big group.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Liz Tudor
  • Love 1

I sat through the wedding, but did fast-forward a bit during the sermons and prayers. The clothes were all lovely. Was that little Jackson and Justin in suits in the wedding party? They looked adorable and very clean and well groomed! The woman carrying the infant flower girl wore flip-flops!!! Was that Jill? When Gothard walked up, well, I just felt sick. When he spoke, Princilla and David just kept nodding and smiling, smiling and nodding! The photographer wore a short skirt over bell-bottomed yoga pants!!!!!!! I just had to fast forward David singing to his bride. Princilla squints so badly; does she wear glasses? David reminded me of the young Nazi boyfriend in Sound of Music! The kiss was beyond awkward, was she pushing him away? Anna nearly tripped when kissing Josh when leaving the stage. I found the exit hymn of Love and Obey to be hilarious! That is a song that our cradle roll kids always sang in Sabbath School (ex- Seventh Day Adventist).

• Love 4

So I just started watching the wedding. Why is Josh in the wedding party. Doesn't TFDW have enough siblings and friends without resorting to his wife's sister's husband??

And if you are going to use the Hallelujah Chorus wouldn't it be for leaving the church after the wedding??

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 2
The woman carrying the infant flower girl wore flip-flops!!! Was that Jill? 

Yep, louannems, that was Jill. At a wedding. In FLIP-FLOPS !!!

And not even "nice" flip-flops - they were the shitty, woven-nylon kind, they were, inexplicably, a weird shade of brown and, I think, men's flip-flops. I'll give her credit for not wearing the two-dollar plastic kind that I used to buy as disposables when I lived in a dorm in college, but that's not saying much. 

Maybe I'm just old and cranky, but I just can't even with wearing those to a wedding, especially one in a church. Now get off my lawn !

• Love 10

Ok I fast forwarded a bunch because I wasn't in the mood for a sermon. Those were some seriously long vows. Was David super nervous? I've never seen anyone move their hands so much. The wedding itself was pretty. I like white and red for a wedding. Is the guy who spoke the most Gothard? I don't understand the need to announce that it was the first kiss. If you want to wait, then wait. But it doesn't need to be announced. And if you must announce it, why make it sound like it only matters to the guy? He talks directly to David saying he's been patient and now he gets to kiss her. Well gee.... Guess Priscilla is just a pair of lips. I get the praying over the couple by the parents. But what the heck were JB/Michele doing up there? They aren't related to these people right? 

I have no words for Josh kissing Anna during the recessional. So stupid.

• Love 4

This was like the first minute of the YouTube video. I sure as hell wasn't going to watch the whole thing.

I had a quick glance at the actual "19 kids" episode. Gothard isn't in it, so if he was when it first aired, TLC have erased him, like the Josiah arm twist and the Bates anorexic mangy horse.

No, Gothard was never shown. He hasn't been in ANY of the footage that has aired of Duggar/Keller /Bates weddings. 

• Love 1

You'd probably have to start by explaining that Austria and Germany are countries, not cities, or plants or animals.  And that they're overseas.

I'd pay cash money to see the all-knowing Jim Bob explain why a landlocked country had a navy.

• Love 6

And where might I find these gems? I NEED TO SEE THIS. I went to a wedding where the bride walked down the aisle to " how do you solve a problem like Maria" , isn't that brillant?

I was to one that used "Movin' Right Along".

Yes, the Muppets iteration.  No, it wasn't fundie.

I apologize for my implied mockery to anyone who finds that an inspired, fun choice.  I found it resoundingly unromantic, but I digress.

• Love 2

3girls4us in every Dugger show wedding I've ever seen they always announce the first kiss.  It's the big deal.  But my imagination is now running wild with what might be announced if it wasn't the first kiss?  After all, the Duggers always told us the couple made up the courtship rules (sure thing) so what if that wasn't one of their rules?  Does the minister say ok now is the first kiss as a married couple but who knows how much they've made out before because they never followed the very best rules.  Or This couple established the rule of no kissing but failed, so here is the first kiss of this failure couple.  It would really be a hoot in any case.

• Love 4

3girls4us in every Dugger show wedding I've ever seen they always announce the first kiss.  It's the big deal.  But my imagination is now running wild with what might be announced if it wasn't the first kiss?  After all, the Duggers always told us the couple made up the courtship rules (sure thing) so what if that wasn't one of their rules?  Does the minister say ok now is the first kiss as a married couple but who knows how much they've made out before because they never followed the very best rules.  Or This couple established the rule of no kissing but failed, so here is the first kiss of this failure couple.  It would really be a hoot in any case.

And maybe that is why Jessa & Ben didn't do their "1st kiss" at the alter, because it would have been a lie.

• Love 2

So I just started watching the wedding. Why is Josh in the wedding party. Doesn't TFDW have enough siblings and friends without resorting to his wife's sister's husband??

And if you are going to use the Hallelujah Chorus wouldn't it be for leaving the church after the wedding??

He and David were making their vows public.  I meant Josh was there to watch David say his vows.  Something like that. 

Did I see it wrong or was Jana alone on stage? Is she not allowed to even stand next to a male?   Poor girl.  Always a bridesmaid.  I didn't realize she was that close to squinty.  I also did not understand why the two Duggar boys were the ones to roll out the white carpet.  Surely David or Prissy have boys in their family that age.  Must have been for the TLC cameras. 

Matching mothers was so strange.  

I purpose to get back at the person that started this!  I can't believe I am watching this really bad musical.  

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 4

Amy's honeymoon is starting to seem interminable (via Instagram). I guess with no job to get back to, there's no reason not to just keep honeymooning.

This week's People has all manner of Amy's defraudment splashed across its pages. She looks to be having a swell time. I don't even begrudge her.

TruthTalk2014, I believe I got the Priscilla/David ball rolling. I never really watched the Duggars and was totally unfamiliar with these two. I was trying to see him being fabulous.

(I have to hope that David's admiration of Josh took a hit recently, considering how he has wronged David's SIL. Messing with family = not cool. I hope.)

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 3

Amy's honeymoon is starting to seem interminable (via Instagram). I guess with no job to get back to, there's no reason not to just keep honeymooning.

Amy lucked out that she was able to snag a guy and push the wedding through fast before he had time to think it over and back out. I have a feeling DUI Dill's parents were nagging him about when he was going to grow up and settle down, he said fuck it, and Amy just happened to be the first girl in line.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 6

Amy lucked out that she was able to snag a guy and push the wedding through fast before he had time to think it over and back out. I have a feeling DUI Dill's parents were nagging him about when he was going to grow up and settle down, he said fuck it, and Amy just happened to be the first girl in line.

I may be wrong, but I think I remember reading in one of the tabloids that they have known each other for something like 7 years. So maybe this is all legit.

In her own words Priscilla Waller describes her thoughts and feelings when she accepted David Waller's courtship:

I cried out to the Lord as I headed back to the lodge: “Lord, I know that love is not an emotion! Please show me what you are doing.” Jogging down the road, the Lord reminded me of the road He trod to Calvary. That was certainly not a road of emotion. He prayed three times that, if it was possible, to have this cup pass from Him. However, God so loved the world that He sent His only son to lay down His life for us. True, sincere love is not an emotion, but it is laying down your life. I needed to lay down my life, my plans, my future, my all so that together, we could go farther for God.

• Love 5

In her own words Priscilla Waller describes her thoughts and feelings when she accepted David Waller's courtship:

I cried out to the Lord as I headed back to the lodge: “Lord, I know that love is not an emotion! Please show me what you are doing.” Jogging down the road, the Lord reminded me of the road He trod to Calvary. That was certainly not a road of emotion. He prayed three times that, if it was possible, to have this cup pass from Him. However, God so loved the world that He sent His only son to lay down His life for us. True, sincere love is not an emotion, but it is laying down your life. I needed to lay down my life, my plans, my future, my all so that together, we could go farther for God.

There are no words........

• Love 9

I can't shake this.... It makes me so sad. If this is posted or otherwise shared so that we can see it then you have to assume someone in her family saw it. What kind of parents let their daughter get married if these are her thoughts at the engagement?? 

• Love 6

There are no words........

Oh my goodness. The poor thing always seems a little cringe-y when David lunges at her lips, even though she keeps sweet and smilin'. And of course, after being trained that sex is nasty, she may just be really uncomfortable having an audience. But wow. Imagine having that kind of inner dialog about ANYTHING. Run, Priscilla! And take Anna with you.

True, but there's a great dangling modifier that has the Lord jogging down the road.

These seem to be rife everywhere these days, or maybe I am just getting tetchier. Yesterday I was watching some true-crime murder show narrated by Bill Kurtis. He said, "As in many cases where a spouse is murdered, Pamela Smart became a suspect in the killing." Busy girl!

• Love 8

I can't shake this.... It makes me so sad. If this is posted or otherwise shared so that we can see it then you have to assume someone in her family saw it. What kind of parents let their daughter get married if these are her thoughts at the engagement?? 

I'm going to quote myself here and answer my own question. I guess the kind of parents that encourage a marriage even when their daughter feels this way are the same kind of parents who encourage another one of their daughters to stay with a child molester/cheating husband. No wonder their brother is so angry and sure that his parents are not supporting Anna.

• Love 14

the Lord reminded me of the road He trod to Calvary. That was certainly not a road of emotion. He prayed three times that, if it was possible, to have this cup pass from Him

...in a totally dispassionate way, since he had no particular feeling about it one way or the other. His mother and friends were also unaffected.

that to have this cup?

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4

It's on their DavidlovesPriscilla website, under blogs - Prisciilla's story.  I can't imagine comparing an impending marriage to being nailed on the cross.  Now they have 2 children and Priscilla is more wacky than ever.  The Keller's (Anna's parents) are Priscilla's parents.

• Love 7

Hmm if I may interject my own thoughts about Priscilla's thoughts - David the thought of marrying you makes me think of the great agony of being nailed to the cross and after praying that this cup pass before me I jogged with Jesus this morning and I've decided that He just wants me to lay down my life, hopes and dreams, and just do this. Yes I accept!

And since I have no emotional feeling of love for you at all that must mean that love is not an emotion!  I completely and sincerely unemotionally love you in the way that someone loves an impending doom. 

• Love 16

This definitely has to be hard for David to hear as well.  

I actually don't think so!  This goes back a few years and he seems quite happy about it.  His story isn't much better.  He wanted to wait a few more years and if Priscilla ended up still being available he was going to try then but his parents pushed him into pursuing her years before he wanted to do.  He planned and was hoping to wait at least a few more years before going after her. He's quite open about that part. They make quite a team!

• Love 6

I now have a headache as my heart was purposed to go and read Priscilla's story on their site.   After reading her depressing story, I was presented a link to David's story.  Someone was purposing me to read that as well, apparently.  I could not get thru the second paragraph.  It was pure agony to read.   I have very little hope that Anna will ever escape after reading what she was brought up to believe.  She must believe with all of her being that Josh and his issues are HER cross to bear.  So tragically sad.  My heart breaks for her, and all young women brought up this way. 

• Love 13

She must believe with all of her being that Josh and his issues are HER cross to bear. 

I wish I thought she did, but I've always heard that part of the whole offering your unearned suffering up to Jesus or the souls in Purgatory or God was that it was unearned suffering. I'm pretty sure Anna thinks she did something to deserve Josh.

• Love 2

This definitely has to be hard for David to hear as well.  

David's story:

I mentioned that though I was confident Priscilla was the only one I could picture ever pursuing in marriage, I also was fine to wait until I was  older. I casually mentioned that since Dad did not get married until he was twenty-eight, maybe I should also wait till I turned twenty-eight. Then, if she was still available, then I knew she was the one. My mom, being a very candid communicator, exclaimed, “Chicken! If God has placed all these confirmations in front of you, maybe you should move forward in the light He has given you.” Deep down in my spirit, I knew this was right.

My parents and I talked about the qualities that I saw in her that really attracted me to her such as her passion to win souls for Christ and minister to people, her sensitive spirit toward the Lord, and her willingness to stand alone for her convictions. My parents asked me many questions about her family, which I could not answer because I had purposely tried to not show any special attention to her distracting both me and her before either of us were really ready or had freedom to move forward. I told mom and dad that I would wait until my twenty-fifth birthday to take any steps, but I would definitely keep them informed on what was going on in my heart and life.

Edited by Defrauder
  • Love 1

? I don't understand the need to announce that it was the first kiss. If you want to wait, then wait. But it doesn't need to be announced. And if you must announce it, why make it sound like it only matters to the guy? He talks directly to David saying he's been patient and now he gets to kiss her.  

Pure bragging -- Look how pure and special we are! Also, only men experience desire, so obviously only men would be impatient.

No, Gothard was never shown. He hasn't been in ANY of the footage that has aired of Duggar/Keller /Bates weddings.

He wasn't shown in the TLC episode, but there's a complete video (available on You Tube) of the entire Keller/Waller wedding, and he is in that, giving a talk as part of the ceremony. I think that's the video we've mostly been talking about.

• Love 4

Well, you know, it's just the arranged marriage of old. And while those were generally undertaken to enhance families' finances, these guys believe that theirs is for a higher purpose -- God wants them to do it for some important reason.

It obviously doesn't fit these times, but if they truly believe that God led them in this direction, and if they can stay clear of the contemporary influences that tell us that marriage is about our personal feelings more than anything else, maybe their beliefs can make it easier for them than it was for the many centuries when that's the way just about everybody did it in lots of places, if not everywhere. That's my hope, anyway.

If they both can continue in the belief that they sacrificed their feelings to please the Lord maybe they can avoid disaster. It'd be great if they never had to do that, but I expect that they would both have had to leave their families if they wanted to follow their own bents in the relationship area, and they don't seem to be people who wanted to do that.

• Love 5

David's story:

I mentioned that though I was confident Priscilla was the only one I could picture ever pursuing in marriage, I also was fine to wait until I was older. I casually mentioned that since Dad did not get married until he was twenty-eight, maybe I should also wait till I turned twenty-eight. Then, if she was still available, then I knew she was the one. My mom, being a very candid communicator, exclaimed, “Chicken! If God has placed all these confirmations in front of you, maybe you should move forward in the light He has given you.” Deep down in my spirit, I knew this was right.

My parents and I talked about the qualities that I saw in her that really attracted me to her such as her passion to win souls for Christ and minister to people, her sensitive spirit toward the Lord, and her willingness to stand alone for her convictions. My parents asked me many questions about her family, which I could not answer because I had purposely tried to not show any special attention to her distracting both me and her before either of us were really ready or had freedom to move forward. I told mom and dad that I would wait until my twenty-fifth birthday to take any steps, but I would definitely keep them informed on what was going on in my heart and life.

My translation: she was the least threatening woman he knew, so if he HAD to get married, she would do. But here's hoping someone else snaps her up first.

These poor people. The brainwashed/brainwashing parents control EVERYTHING.

• Love 18

My translation: she was the least threatening woman he knew, so if he HAD to get married, she would do. But here's hoping someone else snaps her up first.

These poor people. The brainwashed/brainwashing parents control EVERYTHING.

This is going to have me laughing for the next 28 years.

• Love 8