Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

A Duggar male grandchild and a Bates female grandchild born in the same week. Give it about 18 years and we could have ourselves a courtship!

I thought about that too. Poor kids. :(

I only say poor kids because I sure hope by the time the new generation of Bates and Duggars rolls around Gothard's cult will be a thing of the past so these kids won't have to suffer what their parents did. (no education in a public or private school)

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 1

Baby Allie is a cutie.

I saw pictures of Erin's baby shower. She looked put together as always and Kelly looked gorgeous in a black jacket and skirt. They always look clean and put together when they go out in public. Can't say that about MEChelle. When is she going to wake up and realize her hair is just draining her face and aging her?

• Love 2

I don't think Michelle cares one whit what anyone aside from Jim Bob cares about how she looks. Which, in it's own way, I kind of respect. It's only in forcing her children to be certain ways that I have an issue with.

• Love 1

This is apropos of absolutely nothing, but I was looking at this photo of the Bateses and couldn't help but laugh -- look how huge Erin's head and face are compared to everyone else's. Did they Photoshop her in? (Not trying to be mean -- I think all the Bates girls are lovely. Maybe it's the angle? The hair? Something?)

http://thebatesfamily.com/

Edited by Literata
  • Love 1

I read that Michaela Bates and Brandon are engaged now. I think there will be a summer wedding. The tv series for the Bates family was renewed so I'm sure we'll see their wedding next season. Wonder if all of the Duggars will attend. 

• Love 2

This is apropos of absolutely nothing, but I was looking at this photo of the Bateses and couldn't help but laugh -- look how huge Erin's head and face are compared to everyone else's. Did they Photoshop her in? (Not trying to be mean -- I think all the Bates girls are lovely. Maybe it's the angle? The hair? Something?)

http://thebatesfamily.com/

I don't know that I've ever looked at a complete Bates family portrait before - very handsome family. PS - apparently Zach is following the "Josh Duggar Married Guy" diet now - very noticeable weight gain there.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 2

I do like them better than the Duggars, but their family portraits on the website are also pretty annoying - they mention how "Christian" and "bible-loving" all of them are (especially the older kids) in basically every second sentence.

Well, I guess at least they're allowed to read actual books - the Count of Monte Cristo is full of saucy stuff that the Duggars would probably faint at. And not an easy book to read.

• Love 2

I'm not thrilled with how the Bates live their lives, but both parents have college degrees and spent real time in the educated secular world. And it shows.

• Love 3

They do allow their children secular jobs, and they are somewhat better educated than others in their circle, but it's not the same as what the parents had.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 1

The Priscilla-TFDW wedding episode was on this morning! I woke up to TFDW directing the music. Fabulously. 

The fact that I mentioned "gaydar" on another thread was offensive to some, and I do apologize for that. But it blows me away that no one in Prisclla's orbit -- including, presumably, her two pants-wearing sisters -- thought to mention to Priscilla before the wedding that her intended was a little ... flamboyant. Or perhaps they did, and Priscilla would have none of it.

Either way, I had to laugh this morning; the man is just so, so fabulous. 

Edited by Literata
  • Love 6

The Priscilla-TFDW wedding episode was on this morning! I woke up to TFDW directing the music. Fabulously. 

The fact that I mentioned "gaydar" on another thread was offensive to some, and I do apologize for that. But it blows me away that no one in Prisclla's orbit -- including, presumably, her two pants-wearing sisters -- thought to mention to Priscilla before the wedding that her intended was a little ... flamboyant. Or perhaps they did, and Priscilla would have none of it.

Either way, I had to laugh this morning; the man is just so, so fabulous. 

My guess is that these two ended up together because David was reaching critical mass age-wise and wasn't landing anyone else, for whatever reasons. And Priscilla, while she looks to be a very sweet nice girl, frankly also comes off at times as on the slow side. Her speech first caught my interest - maybe there was an oxygen issue when she was born or something. The way the Duggars et al shelter their offspring, I think it's reasonable to believe that she may have no concept of sexual orientation whatsoever.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 3

I'm not sure it's a big secret. Mr. Keller required that Priscilla have complete control over David's computer access. That's not a typical request.

It's quite possibly a marriage of convenience for both of them. Priscilla gets children. David is leader of the organization, which, Gothard aside, he couldn't be, if he were single.

• Love 3

I'm watching it now (I DVRed it!) and it's even more fabulous than I remember. It's also a lot more sad than I remember. Just watching their wedding day makes me think that both Priscilla and TFDW both deserve to be with someone they are in love with. While I highly doubt that are in love, I hope they are at least great friends and enjoy each other's company.

• Love 5
I'm jealous I have never seen Prissy and TFDW's wedding.

Fuzzysox, here you go. Enjoy!

Mr. Keller required that Priscilla have complete control over David's computer access.

Really? That's interesting. Although, as we've noted, Priscilla's probably not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and it wouldn't be that difficult for TFDW to sneak a little "personal time."

But the fact that Mr. Keller made that demand ... interesting indeed.

• Love 4

LMAO at the being honest with you part.

WTF I will submit to you? Yeah I refused to say the word OBEY in our wedding vows. Nope I couldn't do it and I'm happy I didn't.

Hilarious when David starts singing is the bridesmaid's face wondering oh wth?

UGH BOOOOBBBB what the hell is he doing on the alter?

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 3

I'm not sure it's a big secret. Mr. Keller required that Priscilla have complete control over David's computer access. That's not a typical request.

It's quite possibly a marriage of convenience for both of them. Priscilla gets children. David is leader of the organization, which, Gothard aside, he couldn't be, if he were single.

That "computer access" issue never fails to amuse me greatly.

• Love 3

Here is the Willis Clan's intro video from when they appeared on America's Got Talent last summer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h8J48UXoBc

and

They made it to the quarterfinals but were knocked out of the competition at that level.

ETA The Duggars need to watch their backs. With this family and All That Jazz about trans teen Jazz Jennings, the network might be turning the corner away from the crazy and/or fundie families of the past.

A family band-how square is that? I'm already turned off by the Mini-Mouse-on-helium singing.

I'd like to see TLC do a series on http://www.cathouseonthekings.com/as a  big FU to the Duggars.

Edited by xls

Gaaaaaaaaah! I tried to watch that wedding but it was too excruciating to bear.

It is/was painful to watch. Prissy has lust in her eyes. David seems kinda dead in the eyes. It was just really a weird wedding like a business deal with music! lol I had to stop watching when the signing started to make my ears bleed.

• Love 2

Literata, thank you, too, so much for posting the "WEDDING". I have seen it on TV a couple of times, but missed "musical director" David...I have no words for this scene..but thanks...my husband was amazed..I asked for his blind opinion and I wasn't surprised at what he thought.

• Love 1

The conducting was incredible enough, but it's when he broke out in his solo that my jaw actually dropped. Poor boy, it's the closest he'll ever come to starring in a Broadway musical. ;-) But at least it was a truly FABULOUS wedding.

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 5

The conducting was incredible enough, but it's when he broke out in his solo that my jaw actually dropped. Poor boy, it's the closest he'll ever come to starring in a Broadway musical. ;-) But at least it was a truly FABULOUS wedding.

Never. Gets. Old.

TFDW reminds me a lot in both looks and mannerisms of a colleague of mine. After coordinating his wedding and honeymoon at Walt Disney World with a feverish intensity, no one was shocked when he divorced and came out two years later.

• Love 4

It probably seems as though I'm constantly making fun of the guy, but that's not my intent. I'm as liberal as they come and have quite a few gay friends/family members, so his (presumed) sexual orientation isn't an issue ... I am just flabbergasted by the sheer degree of his fabulousness. I sincerely hope Priscilla and the kids aren't left high and dry when he finds Mr. Right.

• Love 3

It probably seems as though I'm constantly making fun of the guy, but that's not my intent. I'm as liberal as they come and have quite a few gay friends/family members, so his (presumed) sexual orientation isn't an issue ... I am just flabbergasted by the sheer degree of his fabulousness. I sincerely hope Priscilla and the kids aren't left high and dry when he finds Mr. Right.

Same Sentiments here Literata.

On another note, has it ever been addressed if Priscilla has a disability? I hear it surmised, but does anyone know if it's fact? Every time I view her on screen it comes to mind.

• Love 1

I don't see any of us making fun of him because he might be gay. We just make fun of him because he is in a bizarre cult where he was taught to pray away his feelings. I've know three people who got married only to come out years later.

I mean I think they are doing a huge disservice to the wives/husbands who have kids and then the man/woman up and leaves. I don't get why people can't be left alone?

• Love 4

Pris does seem really slow, like she would've been in Special Ed if she'd ever attended a regular school. I don't say that as an insult, more as an explanation of why certain things about TFDW are so obvious to us but non-existent to her. I get the vibe she's not capable of picking up on affect and social cues the way the rest of us are.

In addition it seems like many Fundie men are weirdly feminine. The Kellers may believe that David is just an extreme case.

• Love 2

I have no idea. And I'd be hesitant to say more than some speech issues, given that she actually seems to be one of the few Gothard women who worked at HQ and managed to have a real job for a few years. I think if there was something seriously wrong with her it would have been much easier to simply hide her, I mean, have her "helping" out at home.

• Love 1

Same Sentiments here Literata.

On another note, has it ever been addressed if Priscilla has a disability? I hear it surmised, but does anyone know if it's fact? Every time I view her on screen it comes to mind.

I think she may have a mild speech impediment that she didn't get therapy for. And I give her a lot of credit for being out there doing the videos anyway. Why she doesn't see the Fabulosity? She's probably never even heard of such a thing, and I doubt it would occur to her. David has accepted Jesus as his personal savior, and she knows for sure that the Lord would never lead him in that direction.

I think she may have a mild speech impediment that she didn't get therapy for. And I give her a lot of credit for being out there doing the videos anyway. Why she doesn't see the Fabulosity? She's probably never even heard of such a thing, and I doubt it would occur to her. David has accepted Jesus as his personal savior, and she knows for sure that the Lord would never lead him in that direction.

I wonder if she was hand picked for David because of her perceived disability and naiveity.
  • Love 2

I showed the choral conducting clip to my husband and he said, "What is this?" I said, "It's a wedding." He said, "No, but what is it really?" I think he thought it was a spoof.

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 2

Wasn't Priscilla a premature baby? I remember reading that somewhere. She was born at 7 months gestation. My niece who was born at 30 weeks had to stay in the hospital for a month after her birth, and was followed by her pediatrician. She qualified and received physical, speech, and occupational therapy. Today she's 26 and you'd never know she was premature at birth, but early intervention helped her. If Priscilla is developmentally delayed due to being homeschooled, it's too bad her parents didn't believe it getting her the necessary help she probably needed.

FWIW,  my ex-sister in law had similar speech patterns and mannerisms to Priscilla and she's in her 50's. She functions well overall, but told us she was in special ed. classes while growing up. But my ex SIL seems to be emotionally immature and that's ultimately what drove her and my brother apart..she could not function fully as an adult in the real world, she always needed somebody to help her in making decisions . She now relies on their 25 year old daughter for advice and help.

I've never seen it addressed. But in the episode in which she and TFDW and their little boy visit Smuggar and Anna to help them look for a house, she didn't sound nearly as feeble-minded. Maybe she can turn it on and off, a la MEchelle.

• Love 2

I've never seen it addressed. But in the episode in which she and TFDW and their little boy visit Smuggar and Anna to help them look for a house, she didn't sound nearly as feeble-minded. Maybe she can turn it on and off, a la MEchelle.

I don't think she's feeble-minded, really. Not the sharpest, maybe, and very very sheltered. And I think that really is her voice; I don't think it's a MEchelle type affectation.

Pris was a preemie. I hope Josie doesn't turn out like her. See, J'Chelle and Boob? Early intervention, instead of ignoring your child's delays is key.

i

I'm sure JB and MEchelle would be delighted if Josie turns out like Priscilla. Look how sweet, cheerful and docile she is.

• Love 2

I feel for Priscilla. I'm sure she is a very sweet person and sometimes I get annoyed at Anna, who seems to want to "one up" her sister...being married first and knocked up first, etc...I also think Anna can be quite insincere at times and she is filled with ambition through Josh.

I certainly hope that the Fabulous David is one great husband to Priscilla...she wouldn't hurt a fly. David, I think has a temper and can be quite a drama queen and Pris doesn't know how to handle that...maybe those are the "mistakes she makes" that David is nice to her about...I hope that guy treats her very well.

Poor Pris can be something to watch in those videos, and I feel badly for her that her husband has her up and dressed with lipstick on making those inane videos just hours after she gave birth....just seems to be inconsiderate..

• Love 2
It probably seems as though I'm constantly making fun of the guy, but that's not my intent. I'm as liberal as they come and have quite a few gay friends/family members, so his (presumed) sexual orientation isn't an issue ... I am just flabbergasted by the sheer degree of his fabulousness. I sincerely hope Priscilla and the kids aren't left high and dry when he finds Mr. Right

.I don't think anyone is making fun of his sexual orientation here, I don't think anyone cares about that but he's been raised in a culture that's so anti-gay and their really not allowed to be gay. He has no choice but to get married and have kids. If he really is gay eventually he'll have to come out and how will that affect him, his wife and kids? Its hard and awkward enough in the normal world, I can't imagine in their world where they'd probably blame Priscilla for it. But it is hard to watch him, his wedding and his family where he comes off...fabulous. 

• Love 1

I don't know that he will come out. I can argue it either way. I've known people who have done both things - stayed in lives that weren't totally authentic, and people who left. These are men and women in terribly difficult positions who give up tremendous parts of themselves no matter what they do after a certain point. Nothing he does now is a given.

• Love 2