Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Forget

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

In the few minutes than a man has been around a woman, he finds his libido "elicited"...Of course it's looks. It's always going to be looks.

In that short an amount of time  it's sexual.

Expecting that a sudden male arousal would be caused by a woman's wisdom or character or toughness or great humor just ain't going to happen.

I tend to agree.  But I find the looks that he is reacting to . . . moderate.  Not ones that I would expect to bring Rick out of the celibacy he's been living in, especially when he's in hyper alert, trust no one mode.  Jessie's pretty though, she's definitely not un-pretty, but since she hasn't been presented as more than that looks-wise, I was looking for other qualities to explain the sudden . . . whatever it is that Rick's feeling.  Came up dry, except that unthreatening, unquestioning, welcoming softness from a strange women who doesn't know anything about all his experiences and mental baggage is probably very appealing to Rick in the state he's in right now, so there's that.  When her sheltered, cookie/Carol-stalking son stamped Rick with that red "A," that immediately sent my mind to Terminus (like some other posters mentioned too -- we've all been out there too long!), so that didn't help my impression of her either. 

I think after all this time,  most of the CDB really do see each other as family - except for couples who hooked up pre-family (Maggie/Glenn) - and have mostly sibling relationships, which is how I see Carol and Daryl too. They may love each other, but it's not sexual. At all.

I think you're probably quite right.  Plus, there's no privacy and no space in their living situation prior to Alexandria (and they're still all living in one or two houses) and the longevity of Alexandria remains to be seen.  That would be difficult, and I'd hate to try a romantic relationship with someone in their circumstances, only to discover that one of us wanted out.  How humiliating and painful to have no privacy and no ability to be away from one another. Plus, you don't want there to be any cracks or fissures in the group. Best to just be family the way they are.

• Love 3

And ALL that background for Jessie and Pete. Is that stuff they just tell the actress to get in character...and should never be revealed to the audience? Kind of annoying.

I got the impression that it was all cooked up by the actress and the actor playing her husband. They were given so little info on their characters that they had to make up a backstory for themselves in order to understand their relationships. So in that respect it was actor wank and certainly not canon.

Am I the only one who wishes they release the "tapes" as a Web special or something?

I'm thinking we'll see portions in flashbacks at some point.

• Love 1

I got the impression that it was all cooked up by the actress and the actor playing her husband. They were given so little info on their characters that they had to make up a backstory for themselves in order to understand their relationships. So in that respect it was actor wank and certainly not canon.

I agree that flashbacks would be a way we'll probably see the tapes; although I haven't ruled out the device of Deanna using things they said on those tapes---possibly to make our people look like they are answering different questions. After all, we see our CDB people in the frame, but we don't see Ms. Interlocutor.

As far as actor wank; if you can be sure it's "certainly not canon" do you know from comparing it to canon? Would AMC let the actors go on TTD and say stuff that they made up as backstory if it would ruin the future arc? Have other TWD actors done that in the past? (I haven't watched every TTD so I don't know all that actors have said on there in the past.)

Edited by kikismom

You bloody bastards...

You broke 1000 posts.

This episode thread has OVER ONE THOUSAND POSTS.

Dear god, what are you doing to me??

Still......Good job guys. No complaints. Lots of discussion. Lots of fun. An excellent thread. Nicely done.

• Love 15

There's no privacy and no space in their living situation prior to Alexandria (and they're still all living in one or two houses)…

I'd hate to try a romantic relationship with someone in their circumstances, only to discover that one of us wanted out. How humiliating and painful to have no privacy and no ability to be away from one another.

Dating an Alexandrian is way less incesty—and they all have way fewer roommates than CDB. But it's the smallest of small towns, so breakups'd be awkward. Maybe that's how those three Alexandrians got banished?

• Love 3

As far as actor wank; if you can be sure it's "certainly not canon" do you know from comparing it to canon? Would AMC let the actors go on TTD and say stuff that they made up as backstory if it would ruin the future arc? Have other TWD actors done that in the past? (I haven't watched every TTD so I don't know all that actors have said on there in the past.)

On Talking Dead, Sonequa Martin-Green said Sasha was a firefighter pre-ZA.

Chad Coleman said (I think on TD?) Tyreese was a professional football player.

Ross Marquand told Entertainment Weekly about a backstory he & Jordan Woods-Robinson created for Aaron & Eric: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/02/22/walking-dead-star-ross-marquand-aaron

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 2

Jessie's pretty though, she's definitely not un-pretty, but since she hasn't been presented as more than that looks-wise, I was looking for other qualities to explain the sudden . . . whatever it is that Rick's feeling.

I think you're right, that she's attractive and doesn't know anything about the things he's had to do "on the road," but also, as far as he knows she's not just clean on the outside, but clean on the inside too.  As far as he knows, she HASN'T had to do horrible things to survive, she's kept her slate clean, morally fresh and untouched, like pre ZA.  I can see that also being very attractive to someone like Rick, who's been through so much, done and seen so much.  

• Love 5
I have a hard time not getting a funny kick out of the fact that the ASZhats have copious amounts of booze to throw around at parties.  Maybe I'm too much of a square, but when I think of basic necessities needed to survive just about anything - even in a planned community - alcohol is about the last thing on my list, if on it at all.

I think you kind of answered your own question.  Most people probably wouldn't grab the alcohol leaving quite a bit. Also, one person could only carry so much.  Plus, most grocery stores here have one aisle dedicated to alcohol, which might one of, if not the most plentiful item in a grocery store. 

Also, we know Arlington was evacuated with some success, so less people to ravage the grocery stores.

These people seem pretty organized, so I bet they had a smart system to get supplies.

• Love 1
While I agree that Daryl hasn't displayed the same crappy qualities as Merle, being racist and being homophobic are two different things. Someone can be fine with people of different colours yet be homophobic. I'm simply surprised that Daryl managed to form more...enlightened?...opinions than his brother. Usually one's opinions are quite ingrained from birth due to the environment one grows up in. I don't really see Daryl having any positive role models or avenues to educate himself away from such close-minded "redneck bigotry", yet there he is, working alongside people of different colours and sexual orientations without so much as batting an eyelash.

Most people when put in tough circumstances(illness, death, accidents, etc.) put aside petty differences or even sometimes, big differences and use most of their energy to cope.

I think Daryl has been changed through incredible circumstances (ZA) and the many relationships with our gang and their day to day trials to survive and go on.

• Love 4

I interpret the title as something CDB is unable to do. But maybe they would like to try.

The title (in conjunction to last weeks especially) is that they need to remember who they were before the zombie apocalypse, but at the same time, they need to forget what they've become after the zombie apocalypse. Well, more or less, anyway.

And yes, I lifted that from another site...

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 3

I decided within 5 minutes of meeting my boyfriend that if I googled him and he didn't have a mug shot or restraining orders " he could get it" I totally buy Rick being attracted to Mrs Porchdick instantly even though she hadnt really done anything.

• Love 4

You bloody bastards...

You broke 1000 posts.

This episode thread has OVER ONE THOUSAND POSTS.

Dear god, what are you doing to me??

Still......Good job guys. No complaints. Lots of discussion. Lots of fun. An excellent thread. Nicely done.

The live posting party tonight will be OOC!

I thought last week was tough; will I need something tonight...like Adderall...or those capsules Bradley Cooper had in Limitless?

• Love 2

Thanks. That's interesting. I just can't watch TTD sometimes, and when I do it's a guest like Mary Lynn Rajskub and I'm sorry I stayed up.

Tyreese's backstory was canon in that case. From source material.

• Love 2

Sorry, I can't remember if there was a "W" walker in this episode, if not I'm sorry for the OT. I keep thinking though, that maybe it's not a "W" but an "M". (Morgan???) Although I can't imagine why he would be marking them.

P.S. Sorry to add to the 1000+, lol.

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 2

the fans who insist Tara is no longer gay and is in love with Glenn.

...wait, what? That's...that's a thing that's being said with actual conviction?? I think her friendship with Glenn (and loyalty to him) is sweet but people are seeing romance?

Sorry, I can't remember if there was a "W" walker in this episode, if not I'm sorry for the OT. I keep thinking though, that maybe it's not a "W" but an "M". (Morgan???) Although I can't imagine why he would be marking them.

I snickered when we got a shot of Rick on the suburban streets and the street sign right behind him said "Morgan St".

• Love 3

I thought Rick was Kirk, Daryl is Sulu, Glenn is Scotty, Michonne is McCoy, Rosita is Uhura, Herschel was Spock, and Eugene wishes he was Spock but he's just a Tribble.

I've always seen it as Rick is Superman, Daryl is Batman, and Carol is Wonder Woman. Other random assignments: Glenn is Green Arrow, Maggie is Black Canary, Michone is the Flash, Abe is Hawkman, Rosita is Hawkwoman, Sasha and Tara...not sure. Eugene, Gabriel, and Noah can get identities when they become useful.

Edited by AndySmith
I interpret the title as something CDB is unable to do. But maybe they would like to try.

I saw a twofold meaning - as you say, CDB not being able to forget the past/the life they'd been leading/etc. But also, the ASZhats forgetting that they're in a ZA, and just living life as normal.

• Love 3

Plus, there's no privacy and no space in their living situation prior to Alexandria

Except when Carol and Daryl spent the night in the women's shelter (IIRC?) that had actual beds and they even momentarily shared one and ....nothing. Not one twinge, movement, touch or even a look. Yep, brother/sister kinda thing.

• Love 2

Hi All, Long time lurker, first time poster who has been a diligent fan of this from word one. I noticed on my last re-watch this afternoon (not to be confused with tonight's re-watch prior to the new episode) that in the porch scene with Michone and Abe...Michone had an initial necklace on with the letter A. No doubt for poor, lost Andre and her way of honoring him.

BUT....another A!

• Love 4

Hi All, Long time lurker, first time poster who has been a diligent fan of this from word one. I noticed on my last re-watch this afternoon (not to be confused with tonight's re-watch prior to the new episode) that in the porch scene with Michone and Abe...Michone had an initial necklace on with the letter A. No doubt for poor, lost Andre and her way of honoring him.

BUT....another A!

Welcome! What great timing to speak up; be ready for a fun, busy night! Glad you stopped lurking.

I always thought it was an A as well.

• Love 3

It's really a McDonald's Golden Arches pendant to remind her of the treasures of the Ancient World.

It's a monogram designed to combine the first initials of Andre and Michonne and MIke.

It's upside down W and she is the leader of the (Wolves) pack.

• Love 5

It's really a McDonald's Golden Arches pendant to remind her of the treasures of the Ancient World.

It's a monogram designed to combine the first initials of Andre and Michonne and MIke.

It's upside down W and she is the leader of the (Wolves) pack.

Choices 1 and especially 3 made me laugh.

• Love 2

What I really liked about this episode was how they figured out how to integrate Daryl.  Deanna saw that when Rick told Daryl to back off during the fight in last week's episode and he backed off - she knew he would listen to orders.  Very good move to have him doing work on the outside.

I wish the same care had been used with Sasha.

And Deanna is having Carol look after the elderly and those who can't take care of themselves?  I love Carol - she is a great character - but the morgue will be a busy place now.

• Love 3

Hey, I just noticed on rewatch that Deanna's husband (Chevy Chase) is the only ASZer who really talks about the stuff "out there" at the party, how impressed he is that Rick kept 14 other people alive...till Deanna cuts him off.

I'm getting a real Harvest Home vibe that I don't like!!!

• Love 2

I decided within 5 minutes of meeting my boyfriend that if I googled him and he didn't have a mug shot or restraining orders " he could get it" I totally buy Rick being attracted to Mrs Porchdick instantly even though she hadnt really done anything.

That's my take, too. A person is attracted to whatever he or she is attracted to. It may not be a person that others see as conventionally beautiful. We all have our own tastes.

As far as Rick being attracted, it happens. People are attracted to others who are not available all the time. If that someone is in your social circle and you can't avoid them, then you so your best to keep a lid on your feelings. Which is what I see Rick doing. Yeah, he gave her a kiss on the cheek. Which seemed ok and casual until after, when it kinda hit him it maybe wasn't on his part. I'd be willing to bet, all things continuing as they were (which I don't think will happen due to other issues), if the town went on as it was, no way would Rick ever kiss her cheek again, because of how it hit him.

He'd make polite conversation and deal with his attraction. We've not seen one thing to assume otherwise, and yet he's suddenly "Shane 2.0" and an almost-rapist. I don't see it.

Long time lurker on this board-hello, I enjoy reading all your analysis so much! Very late to this episode but wanted to add something quick that struck me- how much it reminded me of the( old bbc show) Survivors- post apocalypse a travelling group who have survived a plague come to a seemingly friendly eco- community capable of generating its own power, run by a plausible female ex- politician who videotapes interviews with all new arrivals- that ended pretty badly which is partly the reason why I'm not too optimistic about this one...

• Love 4

Long time lurker on this board-hello, I enjoy reading all your analysis so much! Very late to this episode but wanted to add something quick that struck me- how much it reminded me of the( old bbc show) Survivors- post apocalypse a travelling group who have survived a plague come to a seemingly friendly eco- community capable of generating its own power, run by a plausible female ex- politician who videotapes interviews with all new arrivals- that ended pretty badly which is partly the reason why I'm not too optimistic about this one...

I knew this scenario sounded familiar - of course, Survivors!  Thanks, Dr.Jacoby, and welcome to our little family.  ;-)

• Love 2

I've always seen it as Rick is Superman, Daryl is Batman, and Carol is Wonder Woman. Other random assignments: Glenn is Green Arrow, Maggie is Black Canary, Michone is the Flash, Abe is Hawkman, Rosita is Hawkwoman, Sasha and Tara...not sure. Eugene, Gabriel, and Noah can get identities when they become useful.

Now, Daryl has to be Green Arrow with those great bow skills of his.

• Love 1
'm getting a real Harvest Home vibe that I don't like!!!

Holy crap, don't even bring that up! That book scarred me for life when I was 14. (but I see your point.)

Edited by ghoulina

And that show also got hard knocks when they focused too much on farms...

Survivors was so ahead of its time (Abbie Grant, run off the show because she was too strong - I would love to see an Abbie type on TWD), and yet so of its time. British TV of that era was so free of sentimentality that the awful things on that show packed a punch that nothing on now ever could. And I can't imagine any TV show today doing some of the stories they did, which upset even some of the cast (poor Wendy and Barney...).

• Love 3

Survivors was so ahead of its time (Abbie Grant, run off the show because she was too strong - I would love to see an Abbie type on TWD), and yet so of its time. British TV of that era was so free of sentimentality that the awful things on that show packed a punch that nothing on now ever could. And I can't imagine any TV show today doing some of the stories they did, which upset even some of the cast (poor Wendy and Barney...).

Eek I don't want to annoy mods by going OT too much but I *never* meet people who watched this show! I'll just say I totally agree about the unsentimental harder edge it had- Less concern about making characters likeable all round in a pre-social media/fan feedback dominated age? Okay I'll stop OTing now (& apologies) but anyone who watches twd should try survivors, it's amazing Edited by Dr.Jacoby
  • Love 3
(edited)

Carol just caused all kinds of lifetime crap for that little kid. lol  I bet the guns get noticed cause Olivia will see the chocolate is gone.  

Edited by kelslamu
  • Love 1

Watching TWD Carol rocks the za world! Love how they are showing only the best of the best episodes. Get to see what I really like and not be bummed out that the best episodes are showing while I'm sleeping. Carol just took her fill of chocolate, and unlocked the window. I forgot how naive, and innocent the Alexandrians were when team Rick showed up. Like how Rick states how lucky they are, and now even luckier, because team Rick is here, lol. 

• Love 1