Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Forget

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

I think its kind of silly to get into a contest of "who lost the most."  A loss is a loss.  

A few years back I was at a memorial service for a family whose child had passed on. A elderly woman - well-meaning I'm sure, but somewhat dotty and clueless beyond belief - was talking to the bereaved mother when she started saying something to the effect that she herself had never had any children, but she loved her CATS like they were her babies...

At this point, another quick-witted lady immediately interrupted the conversation - and rescued the mother - by telling Cat Momma they really could use her help with some emergency involving the refreshments.

So yeah, there are degrees of loss. And to many of those lucky enough to stay on the light end of that scale, the heavier end is incomprehensible.

I think it's even more ridiculous as the idiot CDB folks won't even share what they have experienced.  I can understand why the other idiots (yes, I think the entire show is full of idiots -- except Michonne and Morgan) are waxing poetic about getting on with life and rebuilding.  As far as we know (that they know), some type of outbreak happened and people died. They lived, so let's start over.  Unless and until the CDB fess up to what's out there, I can't hold anything against the ASZer's.

Well... they've only been in town for a little less than three days, so it might be just a wee bit early for them to start spilling their guts emotionally about traumatic events to total strangers. Give them at least a week first.

• Love 8

Maybe that's why there is no apparent signs of PTSD amongst the ASZhats.  

Yeah, yeah, everybody's lost a lot. The problem is, the two groups have VERY different perceptions of what constitutes "a lot":

• For the ASZhats, it means former homes and some family. Maybe. And the homes have been replaced. For them the ZA has been a fairly unpleasant speed bump.
  • For CDB, it means loss of homes, entire families, reliable food/water/shelter, a significant chunk of their humanity, and their faith in humanity.

A loss IS a loss... but how those losses happen affects how you react.  Say you take the Aszhats at face value, yes, they've lost people, but compare it to someone you dearly love having a heart attack and dying.  You, like most people, would be devastated, but it's not something that is necessarily going to change your behavior, or maybe you change your own eating and exercise habits for a few days/weeks/months, you feel healthy enough and no one else is having a heart attack, so the new behaviors kind of drift away.  You still feel your pain and your loss deeply, but it hasn't changed your behavior or general worldview.  On the other hand, for CDB, zombie and people attacks are like seeing someone they love have a heart attack and every single day it's someone new, and it just keeps happening and happening and it becomes the new normal, and if heart attacks happen all the time then if you're CDB you're damn well going to do something to stop them as best you can, because the reality is in your face every single day.  The constant reinforcement is where the change comes from.  

Um, er... anyway.  <g>  What was I talking about?

• Love 5

Rick goes from spending several seasons not ever looking at anyone even the slightest bit sexually and now he sees this woman and he can't help himself? The haircut, holding his baby, etc. - it is just all too convenient and too fast.

I don't worry about the first meet; it was spoken that Deanna sent Jessie who was in the pantry over to the house with the basket of stuff for the whole group although some people think Jessie came up with it herself and with some ulterior motive. The haircut...meh. If she said as long as you have your shirt off do you want a massage? that would be fast.

Holding the baby? Nah, everybody held the freakin kid. Those two old grandparents held the baby days before Jessie did, no one thought they were stepping over the line.

When Deanna made Rick look around the room, and he saw all his people and hers laughing and drinking and bouncing the baby, that was before Jessie held her. So Jessie was way behind as far as holding the baby.

All those seasons he wasn't doing anything and now he sees this woman and can't help himself?

I would blame that on the ugly facts: all those same seasons he and every woman he met was crusted with many layers of sweat, walker blood, road filth, human blood, dead skin, unspeakable excretions of a personal nature, and all of it frosted with a stink that would make a maggot gag.

I might desire sex or be attracted to someone; but if I am for some reason wearing the same underwear I've had on continually without washing for years, I'm not making my move.

He finally had a chance not to be ashamed of his own disgusting crud, but also finally was able to see and smell a woman who was smooth and smelled like soap perhaps.

Remember, Deanna made everyone "give them some space" when they first arrived. Meaning, she didn't let anyone see them enter the gates except a few guys.

It might feel good, for a man or woman, to meet someone who never saw you at your worst. It might feel good that they smile and don't wrinkle their nose or roll their eyes. Or to meet someone who hasn't spent 6 months watching you pick deer ticks out of your armpits and grab a hunk of barnyard grass telegraphing your need to take a shit in a ditch somewhere.

Or someone you know being unexpectedly presentable at the same time you are.

Abraham had little to say to Michonne ever; then a couple nights after they arrived she's all washed up brushed teeth and wearing a dress ---and his eyes are flying out of his head like Jim Carrey's in The Mask.

where's our fallen and painfully useless priest?  certainly alexandria could use a religious figure?

All I know is that no matter what a useless coward he acts like, anybody who's last message from the people who knew him for years is "You'll Burn In Hell ForThis! "

is someone you want to keep an eye on.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 9

All those seasons he wasn't doing anything and now he sees this woman and can't help himself?

On pondering this, I guess it would come down to the fact that the strongest instinct is survival and while fighting to survive, we can't think of anything else. Now that there's safety (real or imaginary) other instincts that have been sublimated would come to the surface?

• Love 9

I've seen a few comments (many?) about the possibility that our team has been doped (or somehow brainwashed) by the madhatters.

I have no answer for that, but remember when Andrea and Michonne first get to Woodbury. The Governor and his henchling serve them tea. A lot of people thought the same thing then. Again, I have no answer except to say that I think the writers are good (or bad) about introducing things like that.

And I agree with the people who have said that they think TPTB relies too much on the Talking Dead to explain things. Here's a tip to TPTB: write the show better!

• Love 3

Something just clicked as I was thinking about Deanna's party and remembering the visuals of the different rooms full of people. It reminds me of Poe's The Masque of the Red Death. It's not a perfect comparison, of course, but I got that same picture of the false sense of security the privileged few had that they were safe from the terrible plague around them because they had bolted the doors in the walls around the estate. I won't go so far as to say that they've locked Death in with them, but who knows? I might be in the minority, but I don't think that Enid's trips over the wall and into the woods are purely nature excursions.

• Love 10

I think she seems comfortable with him, and especially CR.  I'm glad because the Carl/Rick/Judith reunion scene was marred by the WTF reaction that baby had.  That baby was very comfortable with MMB, and especially CC.  I loved the scene in the church where Judith was sitting in Rick's lap, but she was keeping a close eye on Tyreese, who was sitting right next to her.  It made me wonder if they choreographed the scene that way to keep the baby comfortable.

Like this:

:-)

tumblr_ndq8xgTFta1rk2x7fo2_250.gif

• Love 9

Like this:

:-)

tumblr_ndq8xgTFta1rk2x7fo2_250.gif

"Hey look everybody!  I'm feeding the Beard Monster!  Wait til it grows out more, dude.  I'm gonna pull and yank on that thing until you want to literally bite my hand off."

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 2

i almost hate to say this, because I usually just watch the show and take it for what it is, enjoy it and not try to draw any preachy or particularly philosophical conclusions that aren't spoon fed to me (eg Rick: "WE ARE THE WALKING DEAD!" really? thx for that, rick) but the contrast between the alexandria folks' world/life view v. rick's crew's world/life view kinda reminded me of how some (a lot?) of  people live here in the good ol' US of A and how it must seem to others in war-torn or impoverished countries like (*insert your fave here*).  i don't mean to say that the writers were intentionally creating a metaphor here, but when you think about it in those terms, Sasha screaming, "Is that what you worry about here??!!" seems comically appropriate.  My internet is too slow =( the line for the new iphone is too long =(  1st world problems, anyone?

....except no one seems to be complaining in ASZ.  i guess that's some of the "bad stuff" that's supposed to have fallen away after the ZA? hmm...

Edited by Michell3
  • Love 9

I won't go so far as to say that they've locked Death in with them, but who knows? I might be in the minority, but I don't think that Enid's trips over the wall and into the woods are purely nature excursions.

ooh i love this!  another psychotic child, not just murderous on a small scale "imma kill my sister" kinda way, but in a "i hate you cookie-baking assholes, i hate cardigans, you're all gonna buuuurrn!"  she IS pretty creepy.  also, where are her parents? i don't recall seeing them or mention of them.

• Love 1

Next time you are in WallyWorld, subtract all the perishable stuff (as well as the non-edible stuff). There really isn't that much left. That's why Wal-mart gets a dozen trucks every night. That's just to refill what was sold on a day when there wasn't an apocalypse, Hell, a good snowstorm will empty the shelves of Wal-Mart and every supermarket and that isn't the end of the world.

Which is why it's really not that crazy to want a pasta maker. At some point, they'll run out of boxed pasta. If they can find a good source of flour, they can make their own. Deanna mentioned a mill -- that would imply growing wheat. Which would be an excellent plan for long-term survival.

I'm torn on Alexandria -- I get why the crew is rolling their eyes, and I think pretending the world is fine and having bookclubs is kinda stupid. I also think it's ridiculous to compare anything the Alexandria people went through with the hell experienced by the gang.

BUT on the other hand, if a group of survivors' basic needs are met (shelter, food) there's nothing wrong with having a party. They're allowed. Why not drink the beer, and hang for an evening? If a nice house is sitting there, why not enjoy it, like Michone decided to do? If Rick can convince Deanna to let him establish more security -- the main thing lacking in Alexandria -- why does he have to consider "taking it over"?

I always go back to humanity's roots when looking at this new world. Aboriginal tribes who have lived on the edge of survival also had tribal get-togethers -- songs, dances, storytelling. It helps them get through the difficult times, and bond them as a group. Which is the same function this cocktail party was serving. Even the earliest communities of mankind, surrounded by lots of creatures that wanted to eat them, had the time and energy to create this.

I wish we were told how big this community is. We don't even know the population. Was it everyone at the cocktail party, plus a few who didn't attend? That's not a lot -- no wonder Deanna wanted more manpower. I would have loved a short tour, showing their assets and resources. Because I'm all about the post-apocalyptic rebuilding of society.

Of course, I long ago stopped being terrified of walkers. They're too easy to kill (unless they swarm). Eventually, they'll die off, because they don't reproduce.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 3

I feel really bad for Sasha, she's a mess. I knew she was going to freak out at the party, that's not a good environment for someone with PTSD. Also I thought those photos she shot at were stock photos because they were in the houses given to Rick and the gang and that house didn't look lived in. Aaron and Eric's house still had the "under contract" tape on it. 

Edited by RowingPains
  • Love 2

I don't worry about the first meet; it was spoken that Deanna sent Jessie who was in the pantry over to the house with the basket of stuff for the whole group although some people think Jessie came up with it herself and with some ulterior motive. The haircut...meh. If she said as long as you have your shirt off do you want a massage? that would be fast.

Holding the baby? Nah, everybody held the freakin kid. Those two old grandparents held the baby days before Jessie did, no one thought they were stepping over the line.

When Deanna made Rick look around the room, and he saw all his people and hers laughing and drinking and bouncing the baby, that was before Jessie held her. So Jessie was way behind as far as holding the baby.

I would blame that on the ugly facts: all those same seasons he and every woman he met was crusted with many layers of sweat, walker blood, road filth, human blood, dead skin, unspeakable excretions of a personal nature, and all of it frosted with a stink that would make a maggot gag.

I might desire sex or be attracted to someone; but if I am for some reason wearing the same underwear I've had on continually without washing for years, I'm not making my move.

He finally had a chance not to be ashamed of his own disgusting crud, but also finally was able to see and smell a woman who was smooth and smelled like soap perhaps.

Remember, Deanna made everyone "give them some space" when they first arrived. Meaning, she didn't let anyone see them enter the gates except a few guys.

It might feel good, for a man or woman, to meet someone who never saw you at your worst. It might feel good that they smile and don't wrinkle their nose or roll their eyes. Or to meet someone who hasn't spent 6 months watching you pick deer ticks out of your armpits and grab a hunk of barnyard grass telegraphing your need to take a shit in a ditch somewhere.

Abraham had little to say to Michonne ever; then a couple nights after they arrived she's all washed up brushed teeth and wearing a dress ---and his eyes are flying out of his head like Jim Carrey's in The Mask.

All I know is that no matter what a useless coward he acts like, anybody who's last message from the people who knew him for years is "You'll Burn In Hell ForThis! "

is someone you want to keep an eye on.

Re: Rick not doing anything sexual all these seasons

If you think about the timeline, for the first season and a half he was married to Lori and loved her, even when he hated her.  Then she died having his child and he mourned her.  It has been what, 9-10 months since she died?  In that time he spend 7 months making the prison a home, farming, etc.  Then he gets stabbed by Brillop, has to sort of recover, and hit the road for God knows how many miles until he gets to Terminus.

Then he almost gets eaten, escapes, and hits the road to Washington DC.  They almost starve, are living on pure instinct, and have got to be God awful nasty on top of it.  Add to that Carl and Judith are with him 24/7, I mean it's not like they have bedrooms.  I know Lori had no problem leaving her child to have a booty call, but I don't see Rick doing that when there is ever-present danger.

So seriously, when would this man have had half a chance to think about having sex with someone?  I don't care how hot Maggie, Michonne, Rosita, whoever are.  A man with two small children who had lost his wife 10 or so months ago and was in constant danger wouldn't be looking to hook up, and if he was well ew.

• Love 11

Hell, a good snowstorm will empty the shelves of Wal-Mart and every supermarket and that isn't the end of the world.

You're right! That reminded me of an ice storm we had that knocked out power for nearly a month in January. It was impossible to find the most basic stuff, like batteries, candles, lamp oil and most food items. I can imagine after a year!

• Love 3

I have a hard time not getting a funny kick out of the fact that the ASZhats have copious amounts of booze to throw around at parties.  Maybe I'm too much of a square, but when I think of basic necessities needed to survive just about anything - even in a planned community - alcohol is about the last thing on my list, if on it at all.

Supply Planning Committee meeting:  "Ok... so we got water, food, toilet paper, basic meds/supplies, guns & ammo, clothes, soap & shampoo..... wait.  Where's the booze??  Why is there no beer!!??!!  What are we, savages?!"

• Love 4

I thought that scene was cute.  I think they were both lightly flirting.  Regardless, Michonne took what he said to heart.

I was actually thinking that Rosita was now surrounded by guys her age, and Abraham realized this and was scoping out the available women.

• Love 5

Seriously! How'd they have so much beer? I was wondering if it was home brewed somehow. Because you know the alcohol would be gone in a month or two.

<Tinfoil hat on/>

Not if they only bring it out at the start of each new group's tenure and its all part of the ruse put on by these ASZhats until they really show themselves...

<not taking it off!/>

• Love 5

I legitimately did not recognize Rosita when she first arrived at the party. I only figured out who she was because Abraham was right behind her.

I kind of liked Abe's interaction with Michonne on the back porch. I feel like he recognized her warrior spirit, if you will, and thus felt they had common ground in having trouble putting away the soldier mentality. Very Hurt Locker. :)

The whole Carol/cookie kid interaction was a world of whatthefuckever. That was some clunky shit right there. The idea that he managed to hoist himself up and through the window without Carol hearing him, even though she was standing RIGHT THERE the whole time, is just laughable - and not in the good way.

And Rick/Jessie? Can barely muster the energy to care either way, though I felt that her carting his daughter around and then asking if he wanted to take her back was pretty fucking presumptuous. Did Carl hand Judith over to this stranger? WTF?

Bless Sasha's shocked, angry and appalled "THIS is what you worry about???" to dinner lady. Heh. Poor Sasha is a little off the reservation. Rick better hide the telephones from her before she starts receiving calls from Tyreese. ;)

I can't decide how I feel about Daryl bonding with Aaron and Eric. On the one hand, it's cute. But on the other, I have such difficulty believing that someone raised as he was would have no problem with homosexuals. It's just another (IMO) improbable layer of awesomeness to Daryl Dixon.

Count me among those who squirmed more at seeing the horse being taken down than humans...

• Love 6

And let us not forget Rick freaking reaching for his gun when he sees the husband (Tobin?). That's territorial and predator-like behavior. 

I agree with this, but I wonder if the writers are trying to show the de-evolution of our band of merry travelers.  I can just see men and women becoming more animalistic...women being attracted but the better protectors, men trying to be alpha.  From a writing standpoint, I think it would have been more interesting if the husband was a nice guy.  Instead they're going to make us root for this ship because the husband is an ass.

And my new name for Sasha is Sasha Fierce.  I'm gonna love the new Sasha.

Also I thought those photos she shot at were stock photos because they were in the houses given to Rick and the gang and that house didn't look lived in. Cliff and Eric's house still had the "under contract" tape on it. 

I think it's all faked. I can get police crime scene tape but it doesn't mean something happened if I put it up. Rick and his people got the houses where they got them because I think they are bugged and the LP (listening post) had to be nearby.

I don't trust them at all---and I don't even know who Cliff is!

<Tinfoil hat on/>

Not if they only bring it out at the start of each new group's tenure and its all part of the ruse put on by these ASZhats until they really show themselves...

<not taking it off!/>

Agree completely. This would be a new wrinkle, but that's not the first time for this show.

I do not believe the pantry Glenn saw or Carol saw is actually where they have all their stuff. Even the guns. I find it hard to believe anyone like Deanna or Aaron is so stupid.

I know how many people think Deanna is great and it's so nice to be in such an Architectural Digest layout.

I think it's a big mousetrap and they just keep eating the cheesy goodness.

But I'd be happy to find out I'm wrong.

I don't think I'll be happy.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 7

I think it's all faked. I can get police crime scene tape but it doesn't mean something happened if I put it up. Rick and his people got the houses where they got them because I think they are bugged and the LP (listening post) had to be nearby.

I don't trust them at all---and I don't even know who Cliff is!

Whoops, I meant Aaron, I don't know where I got Cliff from. I don't think the Alexandrians are showing all their cards but I don't think they are that sinister or calculated.

• Love 1

I think the OP confused Cliff for Aaron :) 
I did notice a sticker of some kind on their house.

ETA: Jinx!

OK, then I think you have somehow figured out his real name!

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 1

I can't decide how I feel about Daryl bonding with Aaron and Eric. On the one hand, it's cute. But on the other, I have such difficulty believing that someone raised as he was would have no problem with homosexuals. It's just another (IMO) improbable layer of awesomeness to Daryl Dixon.

Granted Daryl pre-ZA probably didn't mix with a lot of different kinds of people but on the other hand he's had no problem with racial or ethnic minorities in the group and has always been a gentleman around the women.  I think his brother Merle was the more (stereo)typical bigoted redneck.  I think Daryl is more of the hey, whatever floats your boat kind of guy.  

• Love 8

alcohol is about the last thing on my list, if on it at all.

Gee, I wish I could say that, but after basic food and water, wine is near the top of my list. I could live without it. I just wouldn't want to. Alexandria is the place for me!

• Love 3

Gee, I wish I could say that, but after basic food and water, wine is near the top of my list. I could live without it. I just wouldn't want to. Alexandria is the place for me!

Well, I'm not saying I'd turn it down as a luxury item (if available), but its not a common necessity.

And the reason I wouldn't call booze a 'necessity' is cause I'm a bad drunk. I'd be exiled after the first time the alcohol was passed around.

• Love 3

Where/how did Alexandria get all those guns?!

Certainly they weren't left behind by the upper-crust families that once inhabited this small community. And they seem far too many to be just from newcomers checking them in on arrival as there doesn't seem to be all that many people in ASZ. They had such a surplus that they were storing handguns in the freezer, so many that Carol said they wouldn't even notice they were gone. Are they getting them from runs? They said they have only made it 53 miles out so far. They've found that many weapons in an area that was evacuated? Wouldn't people have taken their weapons with them? 

Maybe the Alexandrians are more bad-azz then we think. Maybe they were obtained from a group of baddies that invaded and somehow failed in their take-over attempt. Like Terminus. Didn't that start out as a nice place, then a group of real baddies took over, then somehow the Termites were able to regain control on go on being a nice, polite society (except thy ate people). ?

They've had two years to scavenge and raid and I imagine that there may be an armory of some kind around, a gun store as well, in addition to whatever they find in houses.  You'd be surprised, the number of "upper-crust" folks who have weapons at home, especially in a state like VA.

If the people were evacuated by the military they might not have been allowed to take much in the way of weapons.   I'm assuming that (a) an evacuation really did happen and (b) that it was the kind of evacuation designed to move people to a specific place of refuge which was under some kind of government control.  If that's true I think the government would have wanted to limit the number of weapons coming in, for everyone's safety.   Members of the military, for example, aren't allow to carry their weapons on post (in the real world I mean).  

Edited by Dodginblue

Whoops, I meant Aaron, I don't know where I got Cliff from. I don't think the Alexandrians are showing all their cards but I don't think they are that sinister or calculated.

Just having fun with the Cliff thing (uh-oh, is his last name Huxtable? And he's a doctor?)

But I do think somebodies over there are sinister and calculating.

People building pyramids in the desert still prioritized beer.

And look what happened to them.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 1

When he said that he never watches the show because he doesn't want to get self-conscious about camera angles and stuff in his performance, I did think, Well, that's helpful to you maybe, but do you care about the other cast members work? Did you watch The Grove for instance?

Are you referrring to the commentary for The Grove in which he watched it for the first time during the commentary?  I thought it was kind of funny but I do wish he would watch because it might give him perspective he doesn't have right now.

I finally found it! This is the interview (and there's a lot of other stuff in there) where Scott Gimple and AL admit that when AL was to do the commentary, they did it over the phone...and Gimple found out that AL wasn't even watching it really. Which I thought was weird because he isn't even in that ep!

http://comicbook.com/2015/02/02/the-walking-dead-cast-spills-season-5-secrets/

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 1

Granted Daryl pre-ZA probably didn't mix with a lot of different kinds of people but on the other hand he's had no problem with racial or ethnic minorities in the group and has always been a gentleman around the women.  I think his brother Merle was the more (stereo)typical bigoted redneck.  I think Daryl is more of the hey, whatever floats your boat kind of guy.  

While I agree that Daryl hasn't displayed the same crappy qualities as Merle, being racist and being homophobic are two different things. Someone can be fine with people of different colours yet be homophobic. I'm simply surprised that Daryl managed to form more...enlightened?...opinions than his brother. Usually one's opinions are quite ingrained from birth due to the environment one grows up in. I don't really see Daryl having any positive role models or avenues to educate himself away from such close-minded "redneck bigotry", yet there he is, working alongside people of different colours and sexual orientations without so much as batting an eyelash.

Believe me, I'm relieved that no one has really made a big deal out of Aaron/Eric, because IMO it shouldn't BE a big deal. However, I am a little surprised that TPTB chose Daryl of all the characters to be the one who bonds with them (unless it's because they're using their fan favourite as a role model: "see, if redneck, manly man badass Daryl Dixon is fine with homosexuals, you should be too!") ;)

• Love 4

While I agree that Daryl hasn't displayed the same crappy qualities as Merle, being racist and being homophobic are two different things. Someone can be fine with people of different colours yet be homophobic. I'm simply surprised that Daryl managed to form more...enlightened?...opinions than his brother. Usually one's opinions are quite ingrained from birth due to the environment one grows up in. I don't really see Daryl having any positive role models or avenues to educate himself away from such close-minded "redneck bigotry", yet there he is, working alongside people of different colours and sexual orientations without so much as batting an eyelash.

Believe me, I'm relieved that no one has really made a big deal out of Aaron/Eric, because IMO it shouldn't BE a big deal. However, I am a little surprised that TPTB chose Daryl of all the characters to be the one who bonds with them (unless it's because they're using their fan favourite as a role model: "see, if redneck, manly man badass Daryl Dixon is fine with homosexuals, you should be too!") ;)

Not to get off on a sociological analysis of the world, pre and during the ZA, but certainly it is true that people can be varied in their thinking.  Racist but not homophobic, homophobic but not racist.   I think for this specific character, though, we haven't seen any particular biases of the ordinary kind so it doesn't seem surprising to me that he's had no reaction to the gay couple.  But then I don't think people are simply or only products of their environment.   Sometimes people who grow up in an intolerant or repressive environment rebel against that.  Or it's possible that Daryl may have figured out that surviving in a ZA world means leaving behind old ways of thinking.  

Edited by Dodginblue
  • Love 4

Thanks, kikismom.  Seems like they'd had more luck not going to a cosmopolitan area.  They should have found an unoccupied lodge around a big lake where they could fish and grow a garden.  Maybe that's for the future.

I love this idea. I've always thought they should head to the mountains for a while. Maybe for S6. Lower population pre-ZA, so fewer walkers and human predators now. Lots of natural resources. Just hang out and go back to the land, '60s style. (I'm a city person, so there are probably lots of things I'm idealizing about this scenario.) Daryl would be the mayor (or the Gov?!!) b/c he knows that way of life inside out. Rick, Carol and Sasha could get some desperately needed mental respite. But it might be too idyllic, therefore dull tv, so, hmmm, maybe not.
  • Love 1

And let us not forget Rick freaking reaching for his gun when he sees the husband (Tobin?). That's territorial and predator-like behavior.

Has anyone noticed that he has this crazy look/light (all credit to AL!) in his eyes now? I first noticed it when he was getting ready to hack Gareth to death, and then again when he wanted to shoot the Evil Lollicop and Daryl stopped him. He's a different person now.

• Love 5

I love this idea. I've always thought they should head to the mountains for a while. Maybe for S6. Lower population pre-ZA, so fewer walkers and human predators now. Lots of natural resources. Just hang out and go back to the land, '60s style. (I'm a city person, so there are probably lots of things I'm idealizing about this scenario.) Daryl would be the mayor (or the Gov?!!) b/c he knows that way of life inside out. Rick, Carol and Sasha could get some desperately needed mental respite. But it might be too idyllic, therefore dull tv, so, hmmm, maybe not.

I think the problem is getting there.  The mountains I mean.  Plus weather.  They'd have to provision for colder climates.  You have to plan for the months when you're snowed in, food and fuel mostly.  I think our group is hardy and can be creative at times but somehow I don't see them figuring out a way to get to the Shenandoahs (nearest mountain range as they're in VA) and being able to pull together the supplies and find adequate shelter, what they'd need to survive in that environment.   And really, there are very few even somewhat habitable places in this country that don't have some people, even some of the mostly inhabitable places, like the Bayou in Louisiana, have people living there so they probably couldn't be sure to escape walkers and human predators in the mountains.

• Love 1

As in Unfair Wolf ugly? Like you're going to chew your own arm off to get away?

Let's not confuse Unfair Wolves and coyote traps. 

One will enter your life and rip it to shreds.

The Wolves can probably get pretty nasty, too.

Don't know how to break it to yall, but we have gay people living out in the back woods just like yall do out there in the big big city.  :>

• Love 13

I was thinking more about the last scene with Rick fondling the wall with the walker on the other side. I love reading all the theories because these past few episodes its been tricky to figure out what the hell Rick is thinking/doing. Anyway, to me, Rick looked like he was soothed by the sound of the walker. He almost nuzzled the wall as one would if they laid their head on someone's chest and listened to their heartbeat. I thought back to the scene before they entered ASZ and Michonne tells Rick the fight is over, and to let it go. She said something like 'I know it's hard after it's kept you warm and alive' or some such. I think when he heard the walker it calmed him in some kind of weird way. I think even with the flirting and constabling, he's still very much on guard. He hasn't 'let it go' as Michonne suggested. The sound of walkers and the world outside the walls is familiar, unlike these people and this town, it's what he knows. And even though it's crazy and horrifying, it's comforting like a security blanket. Just like how it seems Daryl still needs to be outside the walls sometimes. Maybe its his way of keeping grounded and not letting himself get too carried away by Mayberry. 

I thought Rick, Carol, and Daryl were just getting the guns so that they'd have some defense when whatever awful thing is going to happen happens, right? Because when Daryl changed his mind I got confused. I mean, you can still think the place is great and make an honest go of it while still having a gun for safe keeping. Or maybe he was worried the ASZhats would find out about their dishonesty and kick them out, and now that he likes Aaron & Eric and feels like he has a purpose he's afraid to lose it all? I didn't get Daryl's pouting when they first arrived anyway, he's the one who said the barn smelled like horse shit and I understood that to mean that he wanted to go to ASZ instead of continuing to live like animals. So his huffy attitude could be an act or maybe once he actually got there and realized it wasn't the Prison 2.0 he changed his mind. 

I didn't want to admit this, but one of the things I'm most curious about it is if they are going to kill off Jessie's kids when things go down. Especially since Carol threatened to tie Sam to a tree and Carl is BFFs with the other one. I don't read spoilers and I stopped reading the comics very early on so that the show will be 100% surprises for me, but a love interest for Rick is a big deal to me as a fan of his character and as far as the story is concerned, so I am chomping at the bit to see where they go with the Jessie thing. I feel 100% confident Pete will die and Jessie will join the group, but I wonder if they'd want to add more kids to our group so Carl has a little gang of his own. 

• Love 3

So now we've got zombies, unfairwolves, and, hopefully, if the Egyptian parallel is valid, also mummies. Tell me you don't want to see Abraham fighting a mummy!

Carl: Look, I brought back a whole lot of gauze strips.

Rick: Did you find them in the infirmary?

Carl: Uh. sure. Yeah. That's what happened.

• Love 6