Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Forget

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

I'd have my hair in a ponytail/braid or cut short a la Carol...

And what about Michone and those dreadlocks?  I know that hairstyle is a cultural thing, but her head must be so hot in those Georgia summers.  Why not allow her to have the short cut that is the actresses' normal look?  I bet Rick's new barber could do a nice job.

• Love 3

And what about Michone and those dreadlocks?  I know that hairstyle is a cultural thing, but her head must be so hot in those Georgia summers.  Why not allow her to have the short cut that is the actresses' normal look?

The dreadlocks and the katana are the defining iconographies of Michonne in the comics. They really couldn't do away with either for the show. 

• Love 7

Season 1 Daryl had insulting things to say to Glen about being a "Chinaman," and in season 2 he hallucinated Merle taunting him for hanging out with minorities and "Democrats," but by season 3 he was correcting Merle by telling him Glenn is Korean. He probably had a bunch of automatic go to prejudices before the ZA hit, because of his upbringing. But that doesn't seem to be his nature, and the longer he's been "out there" the more he has become who he truly is. The only "prejudice" that seems to have stuck is his class issue, which is a self esteem/shame issue.

I agree with this, aside from I grapple with the concept of "he has become who he truly is." I think that people evolve and grow and progress according to their changing circumstances and exposure to the world, etc. Or at least I hope so. i.e. Daryl would have been a "true" racist if the ZA apocalypse hadn't happened, but hey, lucky for Daryl it did, and he's more progressive now, LOL!

• Love 1

I'm also not surprised at all that Daryl seems to have no prejudice or apparent homophobia

I'm sure he did, and probably still would, but after events of the last couple years, I assume no one any longer gives a rat's butt about who's getting it on with who, or anything else that doesn't concern the all-important food, shelter and safety.

• Love 5

5 portions of rabbit. So that will be about 5 ounces each portion? Duck, same. Fish, same. Deer might be interesting to see a portion but anyone who considers 1/4 bar of chocolate a portion? We all know the whole bar is always one portion. :-D

Well, portion is the word I settled on...I couldn't see the top of the chalkboard to see whether there was another description, like 'pounds' or 'packages.' Theoretically, there might be 5 pounds of meat per package. Some of the plastic-wrapped packages were of substantial size, so...yeah.

As for chocolate, in my world, the serving size of chocolate is 'however much I can get my hands on.'

Edited by Raven1707
  • Love 3

What? Wait...They're not saying that Glenn turned her around, are they?

They say that she "looks" at him a certain way. 

(she also "looks" at Maggie quite a bit, but I guess that just means she wants a threeway)

With idiocies like Talking Dead commentary about whether she's going to hook up with Eugene, no wonder some people don't get it.

(I'm not going to make a mullet lesbian joke...)

• Love 2

I have only watched this one once, so can anyone recall between the Ladies Who (Make) Lunch Porch Meeting and the cocktail party, were most of the other women brunette, or was it a mix? 

All three of the women on the porch with Carol had dark hair. I'm not 100% sure about the cocktail party. Most of the townspeople seemed to be milling around constantly, so it's hard to get more than a fleeting glimpse of any one in particular.

That said, my impression was that -- aside from Jessie -- Judith was the only other blond in the room.

• Love 4

With idiocies like Talking Dead commentary about whether she's going to hook up with Eugene,

Are these fans talking, or - I hope not - people from the show? What kind of nonsense is this? If Tara is going to "hook up" with anyone, it won't be a man and for sure it won't be Peeping Eugene who I would bet is a virgin. That sounds like really bad fanfiction, where, by the way, they wasted no time getting Daryl hooked up with Aaron.

• Love 2

I have only watched this one once, so can anyone recall between the Ladies Who (Make) Lunch Porch Meeting and the cocktail party, were most of the other women brunette, or was it a mix?

Mrs. Neudermyer is a redhead.

I always thought that Tara's GREATM was a way for her to hit on Maggie. Great Maggie. Tara knows how to turn the head of a young woman. I was surprised she did not ask Maggie if she liked Linda Hamilton's arms in Terminator 2.

As for the cocktail party, as for as Rick and I are concerned, there was only one woman.

rick-jessie_zpsewm3f4ff.jpg

Edited by Watcher0363
  • Love 3

Are these fans talking, or - I hope not - people from the show? What kind of nonsense is this? If Tara is going to "hook up" with anyone, it won't be a man and for sure it won't be Peeping Eugene who I would bet is a virgin. That sounds like really bad fanfiction, where, by the way, they wasted no time getting Daryl hooked up with Aaron.

I think it was joking from Hardwick or someone else. I've blocked it out. The whole idea of Eugene with her always seems insulting to me because it's such a tacky old trope - he wanted her and is a "nice guy," so she sees the light.

The funny part about Daryl and Aaron is it's odd to see shipping when one of the characters is canonically gay. Generally it's two straight men (as seen in "Rickyl"). I have to admit if I have to play the who-will-win-Daryl's-penis game in fandom, I'd rather it be Aaron than several other candidates...

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 2
Watcher0363, on 13 Mar 2015 - 11:31 PM, said:

I always thought that Tara's GREATM was a way for her to hit on Maggie. Great Maggie. Tara knows how to turn the head of a young woman. I was surprised she did not ask Maggie if she liked Linda Hamilton's arms in Terminator 2.

As for the cocktail party, as for as Rick and I are concerned there was only one woman.

rick-jessie_zpsewm3f4ff.jpg

The funny part about Daryl and Aaron is it's odd to see shipping when one of the characters is canonically gay.

Oh, I know. They delight in making straight men gay. Kinky.

As for the cocktail party, as for as Rick and I are concerned there was only one woman.

That picture is  hysterical! Someone elsewhere has sour thoughts about Rick and Jessie.

NSFW! This had me sniggering in a very immature way.

http://i.imgur.com/9RgT9eB.png

• Love 2

Hey, heh, heh. The caption on that photo isn't nice, but I get the sentiment.

Watched the kiss again on YouTube and was struck by a few things. One, it seemed to go by much faster than I thought it did based on memory. Two, I still think Rick just impulsively went for it, and Jessie definitely prompted it by getting very needlessly close to his face during the Judith transfer. That was not the body language of a person merely handing over an infant, I am sure Rick and Tyrese never looked like that when passing Judith between them. Three, Rick's kiss was quick, but his face was that of a man planting a first kiss on the mouth of a date, not a brotherly, perfunctory kiss on a cheek. Four, he seemed to pretty quickly realize that he'd made a pretty clear declaration of his interest in Jessie and looks at her like "well, ah, I kissed you, probably shouldn't have . . . But since I did, what'd ya think? Cause I'm into it!" Five, Rick looks great, very flattering clothes and hairstyle. Jessie in contrast is wearing very unflattering and unstylish clothes, which contributes to the feeling that she is unworthy of Rick's attentions, especially since she is married and his attention is inappropriate. She's pretty, but not particularly striking or dramatic looking, and her skirt looks cheap. They should have dressed the actress a little better. I know she's apparently the SAHM type with a little artsy thrown in, but they could have done a little better. That's probably partly why I feel like Rick's sudden infatuation with her must be partly related to his PTSD and the need for a hug.

Good grief, all of our group so badly need a hug. And Valium. And industrial strength therapy.

• Love 3

Oh, I know. They delight in making straight men gay. Kinky.

That picture is  hysterical! Someone elsewhere has sour thoughts about Rick and Jessie.

NSFW! This had me sniggering in a very immature way.

http://i.imgur.com/9RgT9eB.png

It's been so long, the greater problem would probably be premature @###$$%^#. Jessie should wear eye protection. I know 16 with a playboy.

• Love 3

All three of the women on the porch with Carol had dark hair. I'm not 100% sure about the cocktail party. Most of the townspeople seemed to be milling around constantly, so it's hard to get more than a fleeting glimpse of any one in particular.

That said, my impression was that -- aside from Jessie -- Judith was the only other blond in the room.

So Jessie is Judith's real mother!

Hey, it's about as likely as Rick being her real father...

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 5

It's been so long, the greater problem would probably be premature @###$$%^#.

Maybe he can discuss that problem with Glenn. But sometimes when it's been a really long time, anxiety can cause the opposite i.e. no starch in the noodle. Poor men, always gotta perform.

and Jessie definitely prompted it by getting very needlessly close to his face during the Judith transfer. That was not the body language of a person merely handing over an infant, I am sure Rick and Tyrese never looked like that when passing Judith between them

100% this. I'm sure every woman here has behaved this way when interested in a man, and men can see it quite clearly, even Rick.

• Love 3

Hey, heh, heh. The caption on that photo isn't nice, but I get the sentiment.

Watched the kiss again on YouTube and was struck by a few things. One, it seemed to go by much faster than I thought it did based on memory. Two, I still think Rick just impulsively went for it, and Jessie definitely prompted it by getting very needlessly close to his face during the Judith transfer. That was not the body language of a person merely handing over an infant, I am sure Rick and Tyrese never looked like that when passing Judith between them. Three, Rick's kiss was quick, but his face was that of a man planting a first kiss on the mouth of a date, not a brotherly, perfunctory kiss on a cheek. Four, he seemed to pretty quickly realize that he'd made a pretty clear declaration of his interest in Jessie and looks at her like "well, ah, I kissed you, probably shouldn't have . . . But since I did, what'd ya think? Cause I'm into it!" Five, Rick looks great, very flattering clothes and hairstyle. Jessie in contrast is wearing very unflattering and unstylish clothes, which contributes to the feeling that she is unworthy of Rick's attentions, especially since she is married and his attention is inappropriate. She's pretty, but not particularly striking or dramatic looking, and her skirt looks cheap. They should have dressed the actress a little better. I know she's apparently the SAHM type with a little artsy thrown in, but they could have done a little better. That's probably partly why I feel like Rick's sudden infatuation with her must be partly related to his PTSD and the need for a hug.

Good grief, all of our group so badly need a hug. And Valium. And industrial strength therapy.

I watched the episode again tonight partly because I hadn't really paid that much attention to the kiss and after reading a bunch of comments about it, I still think it was more in the way of a thank you kiss, because of the things she had said earlier about looking around and there's a lot there, people coming together,  everyone's lost but we've also gained, etc., etc.  He even commented on it before he gave her that peck on the cheek.   it was Rick's way of acknowledging her decency to him, that he appreciated what she had said.  It didn't have a burning ring of fire vibe to me.  

But subtlety is often lost on me.  if the man's not grabbing for a boob or sticking his tongue down her throat I figure he's just being neighborly.

Edited by Dodginblue
  • Love 6

100% this. I'm sure every woman here has behaved this way when interested in a man, and men can see it quite clearly, even Rick.

I wonder if the single people (and maybe a few of those in some type relationship) at ASZ were probably thinking "Yay, some new people we can have sex with!" once our merry band of protagonists showed up...

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 3

I've wondered if the real reason they had AB dye her hair blond was that the writers didn't want viewers to think this would be a do-over in Rick's mind...a brunette holding a baby-- RIck's POV, Lori reincarnated, unfinished business blahblah.

I think they are sending him BSC for a while but want to make sure we don't think it's prison BSC. He has a new kind of crazy.

Not like at the prison. Or the waterfall camp. Or the floor of his old house. Or the barn. Or the church.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 4

Five, Rick looks great, very flattering clothes and hairstyle. Jessie in contrast is wearing very unflattering and unstylish clothes, which contributes to the feeling that she is unworthy of Rick's attentions, especially since she is married and his attention is inappropriate. She's pretty, but not particularly striking or dramatic looking, and her skirt looks cheap. They should have dressed the actress a little better. I know she's apparently the SAHM type with a little artsy thrown in, but they could have done a little better. That's probably partly why I feel like Rick's sudden infatuation with her must be partly related to his PTSD and the need for a hug.

One thing I suspect is that the dress (and her other outfits so far) was chosen because her husband does not want her to go out around people looking good.

She has worn that dress, mom jeans with a flannel shirt, and mom jeans with a baggy old top that was a memorable baby-shit color.

Doesn't anyone remember Carol at the station wagon in "The Road Ahead"?

Ed never let me wear nice things.

Unflattering and unstylish clothes is right; but it may be a hint about other issues; after all, she was once a stylist and would certainly know better---if it was up to her own choice.

She's done hair as a profession, but she doesn't do anything with her own---it isn't because she is unaware of how to fix it.

I think if viewers feel she must be dramatic,and stylishly dressed to be worthy of Rick's attention, they might be missing something else happening.

(Bob adored Sasha and she had her hair pulled back, no makeup, leftover clothes...he adored her.)

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 3

One thing I suspect is that the dress (and her other outfits so far) was chosen because her husband does not want her to go out around people looking good.

She has worn that dress, mom jeans with a flannel shirt, and mom jeans with a baggy old top that was a memorable baby-shit color.

Doesn't anyone remember Carol at the station wagon in "The Road Ahead"?

Ed never let me wear nice things.

Unflattering and unstylish clothes is right; but it may be a hint about other issues; after all, she was once a stylist and would certainly know better---if it was up to her own choice.

She's done hair as a profession, but she doesn't do anything with her own---it isn't because she is unaware of how to fix it.

I think if viewers feel she must be dramatic,and stylishly dressed to be worthy of Rick's attention, they might be missing something else happening.

(Bob adored Sasha and she had her hair pulled back, no makeup, leftover clothes...he adored her.)

I find it a little insulting as a woman that men could only fall for a woman if they are all done up and not because you have been compassionate and helpful to someone who needs it.

I watched the Rick touching his gun scene again, and had a totally different read.  I noticed the Jessie cringing this time when hubby goes to touch her.  Not "Don't touch me Rick is watching" but reflex/scared cringe.  I think Rick was watching that and as a cop who is now used to seeing the absolutely worst he was just being ready in case something went down.  I don't think it was "Me kill man.  Me take woman."

• Love 7

I watched when they replayed it at midnight last night, and to me Rick was giving a lot of his cagey, sizing-you-up-before-I-decide-what-I'm-gonna-do-to-you looks the whole time at the party. I'm with MegK way upthread, who thinks Rick is playing a long game and is using Jessie as a convenient cover and a source of intel, just all part of the plan. (Although I always figured they made a plan before the Fab Four went into Terminus, that the writers would let us in on later. And turns out the "plan" was, hey, let's hope that woman I banished shows up with some fireworks...soon!) Loved everything about the wall-stroking scene: the nice overhead shot showing Rick inches from the walker, the crazy music, Rick's expression, all totally ambiguous, right? We can read it so many ways. Nice.

Liked seeing the rest of the gang at the party. I feel like a lot of these actors are doing a lot with even a few moments of screen time. Hope they get more development soon. Even FPP. I've been liking Seth Gilliam's facial and body language even when his character is annoying, or silent. Missed him if he was at the party.

I still felt no sympathy for KidPP, so acknowledging I'm a bad person. His appearance inside the window was Damien-like.

And for that image of Rick and Tyreese possibly passing the baby with such undercurrents, thanks Lawless!

• Love 6

I find it interesting that so many people find Jessie 'bland' or 'basic' when the actress was so freaking hot in American Horror Story. Maybe it's the blonde hair, she looks much better as a redhead.

And I agree about the ambiguous nature of Rick's final scene. I thing TPTB make a lot of these scenes that way so people will talk about it just like we're doing.

Edited by TexasChic
  • Love 5

My first thought on viewing "the kiss" was that it was kind of sad and that Rick was appreciating the peace, the cleanliness and the simple beauty of a woman holding his baby and treating her (and him) with tenderness.  It was a reminder of old times that are gone.  There's probably more to it than that, of course.  He is clearly attracted to her, but in the moment I don't think he was necessarily hitting on her in public.

It seems to me that the walkers are getting easier to kill, that they are physically deteriorating.  Do walkers eventually die for real without a stab to the brain?  Their skulls crush so easily.  Their flesh pulls away.  Even limbs come off with a tug.  So I wonder why their teeth are still strong enough to tear horseflesh easily?  And I wonder if the walkers eventually turn to dust and the story becomes one of a new civilization rising?

Lastly, I don't trust Deanna.  I think she has a hidden agenda and is using our heroes for her own purposes

• Love 6

It seems to me that the walkers are getting easier to kill, that they are physically deteriorating.  Do walkers eventually die for real without a stab to the brain?  Their skulls crush so easily.  Their flesh pulls away.  Even limbs come off with a tug.  So I wonder why their teeth are still strong enough to tear horseflesh easily?  And I wonder if the walkers eventually turn to dust and the story becomes one of a new civilization rising?

I've thought of that too, but there are also the newly dead that should be really hard to just stab through the head.

• Love 5

One other thing from my rewatch: I kept thinking, why can't they just leave Buttons alone? What did they need him for anyway? They chased him and he got away and they chased him again! Buttons made it through two years of the ZA and now...! It's really true that CDB carry a curse. For this reason alone, we know the aszhats are as good as...walking dead.

• Love 6

I've thought of that too, but there are also the newly dead that should be really hard to just stab through the head.

My head!Canon is the virus makes the bones mushy after amount of time. But course the real answer is that it looks gross and cool for a head stabbing. As far as I know skulls are kind of hard to stab even after death what with being a bone and all.

• Love 2

I wonder if the single people (and maybe a few of those in some type relationship) at ASZ were probably thinking "Yay, some new people we can have sex with!" once our merry band of protagonists showed up...

Tobin took no time getting to know Carol. CDB have been in survival mode for so long that sex has been way down in their list of priorities (save Glenn & Maggie and Rosita & Abraham).

The Alexandrians are so insulated (and probably so bored) they must be having plenty of sex.

• Love 2

I watched when they replayed it at midnight last night, and to me Rick was giving a lot of his cagey, sizing-you-up-before-I-decide-what-I'm-gonna-do-to-you looks the whole time at the party.

I really need to rewatch, but that's the impression I got on my first viewing. And I didn't think he was trying to give her an avuncular peck on the cheek either.

The CDB is used to taking whatever they want if they can get it, no matter what they have to do to get it. I can't see them instantly abiding by the country club rules all of a sudden.

Tobin took no time getting to know Carol. CDB have been in survival mode for so long that sex has been way down in their list of priorities (save Glenn & Maggie and Rosita & Abraham).

The Alexandrians are so insulated (and probably so bored) they must be having plenty of sex.

For sure there's no cable TV! Edited by chlban
  • Love 3

That's one way in which their lives have improved. Imagine everyone sitting around rotting their brains with "Honey Boo Boo?"

...But wait, aren't we sitting here talking about TV shows that we've been watching.......wait....what are you trying to tell us? That we have become the Walking Dead....because of TV? ...whoa...mind blown.

• Love 8

I find it interesting that so many people find Jessie 'bland' or 'basic' when the actress was so freaking hot in American Horror Story. Maybe it's the blonde hair, she looks much better as a redhead.

And I agree about the ambiguous nature of Rick's final scene. I thing TPTB make a lot of these scenes that way so people will talk about it just like we're doing.

I remember an interview with Alexandra Breckenridge, in which she laughed over the fact that her friends couldn't believe how hot she was in AHS. :) 

• Love 2

I find it a little insulting as a woman that men could only fall for a woman if they are all done up and not because you have been compassionate and helpful to someone who needs it.

Oh, I actually probably agree with you, I should explain.  I actually think several women in the group are very striking, despite the dirt and grime.  Sasha for example has beautiful big eyes, an interesting pointed yet delicate chin, nice cheekbones -- I think she's lovely despite the dirt, blood, fugly sweater and oversized army jacket.  Maggie is also very pretty and statuesque.  Michonne is an amazing character and her body is rockin'.  She isn't as pretty on the show (to me, and I am a straight woman by the way), largely because the wig and headband overtake her face and I think sometimes cover too much of her forehead.  But she is striking looking, and she's a fantastic character.  Rosita is pretty and sexy too. But not only that, she is resourceful, tough, loyal, and decent.  Each of the women in the group currently has shown these qualities, and I respect them all.  So if Rick were interested in any of them, I would deem them "worthy."  Whether they would be good matches for him is another question, but they all stand out to me in a way Jessie doesn't, either in looks or character or both. 

Jessie's characterization thus far has been really thin, and while she's been nice, welcoming, and nurturing to Rick -- that's it.  I haven't found her to be particularly wise, funny, exceptionally compassionate, tough, or so on.  So in the absence of a character trait that stood out, what are you left with to elicit Rick's newfound libido/affinity/interest in her?  Looks. She is pretty, but not exceptionally so, and I thought the show's attire choices for her worked against her looks rather than enhancing them.  The party outfit revealed some skin on her arms, shoulders, back, and chest, so I didn't interpret it as forced modesty, but overall, the outfit was drab and ill fitting, and the skirt looked cheap and forgettable.  But I'm not at all saying she should have been all made up, in a mini skirt and heels -- I just thought putting the actress in a simple peasant blouse and jeans would have been more flattering and pretty than what they gave her to wear, without being inappropriate to the occasion. 

My perceptions of Jessie were also affected by her line to Rick about "we've all lost something, but we've gained something too."  I guess I understand where she was coming from, but by grouping her losses in with Rick and the gang's losses by saying "we," she lost me.  She came across as another obtuse, oblivious, naïve Alexandrian, which put me off.  It was a decidedly unwise, un-insightful thing to say.  If she'd said "I know you and your friends must have suffered and struggled terribly before you got here, but try to remember that not all the light has gone out of the world, you still have each other, and I think you can make a good life here," I would have been much more impressed. 

This is why I think his apparent interest/attraction/affinity for Jessie (such as it is) has to be bound up with his trauma.  They all have to have the PTSD to varying degrees, and I think they are all attracted to the safety and comfort that Alexandria seems to offer, even as some of them are suspicious and fearful of it.  Just the break from the constant physical deprivations and hyper-vigilance they've had to endure must be incredible, let alone the offer of the life they used to lead before.  But they're scared it isn't real or won't last, and Rick in particular has decided that to survive from now on, they must "trust no one."  However, he's conflicted too.  So I agree that:

Rick was giving a lot of his cagey, sizing-you-up-before-I-decide-what-I'm-gonna-do-to-you looks the whole time at the party.

But then he had some booze, to fit in at the party, but also because the temptation to relax was tempting, and then:

Rick was appreciating the peace, the cleanliness and the simple beauty of a woman holding his baby and treating her (and him) with tenderness.  It was a reminder of old times that are gone.

Of all the potential comforts and new people, Jessie apparently seems the most genuine, non-threatening and inviting to Rick. So when Jessie purposely leaned into Rick's space a bit, the booze and the feels hit him, and suddenly he found himself leaning in to kiss her cheek, and smell her hair, and get just a hint of what nuzzling with her would be like, and . . . oops!  Rick kept things respectable, but that just wasn't a non-interested kiss, and his look afterward made that clear, even if he hadn't ever planned on doing that.  It's possible he's playing a long con, like some of you guys posited . . . but then there was his momentary reluctance to take the gun from Carol, his fingering of his hidden gun, and his caressing of the wall on the other side of the Walker.  Rick's keeping it together, and yet he's also cracking up.  I think even if he's playing a long con, he's also genuinely drawn to Jessie, and would love to just snuggle up and make out with her, and go to sleep, if not have full on sexy times.  However, I think he wants the sexy times too, for the first time in a long time.  I actually can see why Rick is particularly attracted to this pretty, but bland woman, because again, she's very non-threatening, and Rick is on constant alert for threats -- just like Sasha in that field.  But to me, as an audience member, Jessie's underwhelming and seems unworthy of his interest.  Her unflattering outfit and lame words of wisdom didn't help.  However, maybe nothing will happen between them, and even if it does and Jessie's characterization doesn't improve, the odds are that sooner or later she'll get eaten. 

So relax Richonne fans -- Michonne and her katana seem to be in this show for the long haul, and there's plenty of time for Rick and Michonne to find each other after they date other people!  Let's hook Michonne up with a hottie, she deserves it!

Edited by lawless
  • Love 3

The dreadlocks and the katana are the defining iconographies of Michonne in the comics. They really couldn't do away with either for the show.

That's one of the little problems turning comics into live action. No one would look at a drawing of Michonne and think (as I do of her TV character) of  the unspeakable filth and smell of those heavy, matted, corded dreads. I hope she at least hosed them down - and maybe fumigated them -  before the cocktail party.  

• Love 2

I've watched this episode eight times now, and there was no caressing of the wall. Rick walks up to it, puts his right hand on it, and that's it. His hand never moves, his (rather elegant) fingers do no stroking. He leans in a bit, but it does not appear that he puts his ear to the wall either. The final shot is from a distance, and he is still.

• Love 6

I've watched this episode eight times now, and there was no caressing of the wall. Rick walks up to it, puts his right hand on it, and that's it.

I will accept your description of what happened, 8 times is certainly enough to be sure.  But it was still weird, and loopy, and the music that accompanied it made the whole thing super strange.  I still don't think Rick is all there mentally.  Frankly, upon reflection, periodic mental crackups are normal for him.  For all we know, he fingered his gun because he imagined he saw Lori and the Governor walking behind Jessie and Pete. 

• Love 4

I think Rick was kind of communing with the wall and the walker outside the wall.  I think he was torn between believing it was safe and thinking he better not trust.  I still think "All Along the Watchtower" was subliminally played...just sayin.  That and everyone is being drugged...but that's just me.

• Love 1

For the record, I don't believe that Rick is "losing it," as someone suggested pages (and days) ago. I think he's in a heightened state of vigilance, which makes total sense given all they've been through since the proverbial shit hit the requisite fan. He's also perfected a world class poker face along the way; at this point, who knows what he's thinking...

"All Along the Watchtower" would have been my choice as well. Love that song!

• Love 4

***  Jessie's characterization thus far has been really thin, and while she's been nice, welcoming, and nurturing to Rick -- that's it.  I haven't found her to be particularly wise, funny, exceptionally compassionate, tough, or so on.  So in the absence of a character trait that stood out, what are you left with to elicit Rick's newfound libido/affinity/interest in her?  Looks.

+++his fingering of his hidden gun, and his caressing of the wall on the other side of the Walker. 

In the few minutes than a man has been around a woman, he finds his libido "elicited"...Of course it's looks. It's always going to be looks.

In that short an amount of time  it's sexual.

Expecting that a sudden male arousal would be caused by a woman's wisdom or character or toughness or great humor just ain't going to happen.

In fact it isn't as common for a man to have his sexual buttons pushed by those traits in many minutes hours or years.

I've said it before on these boards; men may genuinely by impressed by a woman like that, they may respect her, they may admire her, ...but they want to go home with the cute bartender with the tongue piercing and the dimples.

Because that's how a penis works when the stopwatch is running.

A man may explain that those traits are such great ones in his wife of 20 years or whatever...but if he asked her out in the first place it was predominately because of physical attraction.

Don't forget that Rick knows these things about Maggie MIchonne Sasha and Rosita now.

But if he was first meeting any of them he wouldn't be thinking of toughness and wisdom and so forth.

He'd simply be checking them out, just the same.

He wouldn't have see an iota of worthiness by looking down their dresses at a party. Jessie can't be blamed for that. As said above, she hasn't been given shit characterization so how do we know.

The first time we saw Sasha she was screaming at Carl through a barred prison door,

Michonne was a silhouette in a hood with two reanimated corpses on chains,

and I love when I re-watch Season 2 and check the look on Maggie's face when the rest of CDB shows up and she first sees Daryl Dixon. She almost throws up.

Let's give the writers a chance. Thankfully they didn't hear us screaming at our TVs "Get rid of the lunatic old farmer that creepy superiority crap is making me sick." I would never have expected I would cry when he did go, and I would miss him always.. :-)

+++ I thought Rick might be fingering his gun because he knows they took Carl's away and he keeps checking that his is still there.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 6

there's plenty of time for Rick and Michonne to find each other after they date other people!

It's quite possible that although Rick may depend on her, admire her, feel close to her and trust her with his life and lives of his kids, he does NOT find her sexually attractive. It happens, and if he does, he's certainly hidden it well all this time. That elusive little "it" is either there, or it's not.

I think after all this time,  most of the CDB really do see each other as family - except for couples who hooked up pre-family (Maggie/Glenn) - and have mostly sibling relationships, which is how I see Carol and Daryl too. They may love each other, but it's not sexual. At all.

All JMHO, of course.

• Love 4

If Rick = Picard, who = Riker? Michonne or Daryl?

Now you're confusing me. I thought Rick was Kirk, Daryl is Sulu, Glenn is Scotty, Michonne is McCoy, Rosita is Uhura, Herschel was Spock, and Eugene wishes he was Spock but he's just a Tribble.

ETA: Just to be on topic.

What did the characters forget in this episode?

Taking the other conversation to a new thread.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 1