Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Who is that older gal with the shorter reddish hair on the left? She looks familiar... (Edit: Marie Horton?)

Honestly now after watching that, I think they just didn't bother with Hope and Bo because of the money they would want, and put those funds to use getting the rest of the actors to return. Guess they figure Shawn and Ciara and Belle cover it.

SS is way in the back on the right (hi Cass!) and yup, Ava and Stefan are there too. No sign of SH as Kristen though....

Relieved. Sorry Emily. They had nothing good for you to do in Salem.

I saw a pic on social media of New Gabi with some new guy....anyone else see it? He had a cropped tshirt. Looked like he could be a new Sonny maybe but they just announced his real name and nothing else (Al something).

There's a pic of Cass and Paulina together on social media....so awesome to see them together again!

Yes that's Maree Cheatam aka Marie Horton. Which is a nice blast from the past. I personally think Kristian is there but not Peter.

Speaking of SS I was surprised to hear Susan begged 5 different headwriters to bring back Steven Olson but only Ron listened. I will give him credit for that at least(although I question why other writers weren't interested?). 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm sorry, but why would Theresa go to prison for life? There are people walking around Salem free as birds who are literal murders and rapists lol.

Exactly, this will barely get her jail time, if anything, but I think she leaves town because everybody is mad at her and Tate is ashamed

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm sorry, but why would Theresa go to prison for life? There are people walking around Salem free as birds who are literal murders and rapists lol.

She not only committed fraud by tampering with that paternity letter claiming that Alex is Victor's son but she also participated in the kidnapping of a literal newborn and if the rumors are true, she might even end up whacking Konstantin in the head with a blunt object, potentially severely injuring him or even killing him, resulting in either another charge of aggravated assault or even first degree murder. Plus with all of the other crimes that she's committed in the past, the judge might be liable to throw the book at her. 

50 minutes ago, brisbydog said:

Exactly, this will barely get her jail time, if anything, but I think she leaves town because everybody is mad at her and Tate is ashamed

I won't be surprised if Theresa never comes back to town because nobody will ever forgive her for what she has done, including her son Tate, and her family never speaks to her ever again. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, brisbydog said:

I mean in real life you'd get serious jail time but in Salem it's pretty low on the crime scale 

Right!

And again, people have done worse and their family still loves them. Hell, Ben was a serial killer and the literal whole town still loved him. Theresa will be fine lol.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
15 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Right!

And again, people have done worse and their family still loves them. Hell, Ben was a serial killer and the literal whole town still loved him. Theresa will be fine lol.

Theresa hit John over the head with a poker, put him in a coma, framed Brady for it and is now a recent guest in John's home

Edited by brisbydog
  • Like 6
  • LOL 3
On 4/12/2024 at 10:01 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I thought Wendy was out. And who is the woman beside Holly? A new teen maybe? They need more teens so I hope so.

I'm betting it's Arianna. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

If it is Ari coming back...do folks think she should be blonde or brunette?

I know there have been a lot of young blondes in Salem these last few years (Alli, Holly, Claire, etc) but I really liked that Ari took after Will visually. Then they made the change to have her take after Gabi and I was slightly bummed.

• Like 1

I'm assuming they're going to have her look like Gabi because Gabi is in the show more often than Will. Although this talk is reminding me of that really bad dye job they gave to Kate Mansi the first few years she played Abigail. There were times it looked nearly orange. 

• Like 4

Oddly, artificially blonde Abigail was more tolerable than greasy brunette Abigail in the long run. That was due to the writing more than anything, I suppose, but seriously, was I the only one who found her brown hair constantly looked greasy? Maybe it was the product they used on it.

The less said about her black hair, the better.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I just realized Annalyn McCord doesn't appear in that group photo...wasn't she hired for a full year?

Yea, I noticed that, too. I didn't know whether to take that as her being gone already or if she maybe just didn't appear in it.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, I noticed that, too. I didn't know whether to take that as her being gone already or if she maybe just didn't appear in it.

Billy Flynn wasn't there either, or Eric Martsoff and Stacey Haiduk. Their characters were likely off that week, which is odd because Chad had a relationship with Doug more than many attending the funeral 

• Like 7
On 2/6/2024 at 1:47 AM, JarlenaFan2023 said:

I saw somewhere someone said Days films 5 months out.  It's actually 6.  So the stuff airing right now would've been filmed in/around September (before 2023 Day Of Days in October '23).

I'm now reading that DAYS films 8 months out.  Hoping to get some "clairity" when I go to Day Of Days in LA this fall.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, JarlenaFan2023 said:

I'm now reading that DAYS films 8 months out.  Hoping to get some "clairity" when I go to Day Of Days in LA this fall.

That's the impression I have since they are saying Doug's funeral will air in December. 

• Like 4
16 hours ago, JarlenaFan2023 said:

I believe that it's April and Doug's funeral won't air till December which is 8 months from now.

• Like 3

I think it's more that the actors were off that particular day.  Billy, Stacy, Deidre may have filmed their scenes the day/week(s) before. I'm pretty sure Doug's dying/funeral was not all filmed in the same day/week. 

Yes, the show is now 8 months ahead in filming.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

The "advance" filming gets out of whack every year.  There will be multiple dark weeks throughout the summer that will shorten that. Jason47 has tracked this for years.

http://www.jason47.com/days/productionschedule.html

A quick glance shows 10-20 dark weeks/year in the past decade.  Tracking by year is somewhat awkward, since the show transitioned to Seasons that begin in mid-September (which doesnt make much sense now that the show airs on Peacock).

This aggressive taping is what allegedly kept DOOL alive on NBC.  There is significant cost savings by having more dark weeks and filming so many episodes each week.  Presumably that is still true for Peacock.

• Like 2
  • Useful 5
39 minutes ago, SouthernChick said:

Eric Martsolf was nominated for Lead Actor and Tamara Braun was nominated for Lead Actress. I think Ari was robbed. I would have nominated her over Tamara.

I just read this and couldn't hazard a guess as to what material they submitted to justify nominations. They're very random choices. Neither were standouts.

Who would you have rather seen nominated?

Based on last year, maybe Nadia/Chloe for Lead Actress? Her storyline with Xander was dumb but her performances were very solid.

I'm not sure who to even suggest for Lead Actor.

37 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I didn't expect Ari to get a nomination submission from the network she's suing. 

Is that really how it works? Yeesh.

Her work these last few months has been good to great. Her episode admonishing Holly a few weeks ago was excellent. Her mourning her baby was good too.

I could easily see her getting nominated for those scenes.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

I've never thought much of the Daytime Emmys or any awards show, to be honest.  Judging what's "best" always seems so subjective and so many other factors come into play.  

That being said, the Daytime Emmys are even more suspect these days, with only 4 shows left to choose from.  I think the awards pretty much end up being attendance awards, everybody getting one eventually just for being around.

• Like 6

I'm sure Eric M submitted his scenes with Stacy and Finley (Rachel), I can see how they would score him the nomination.  

I'm guessing Tamara may have submitted the Bayview scenes, or the attempted rape scene. While a surprise Tamara is always good. 

I think Ari is 100% the snub here, but I'm not surprised.  Most people don't get nominated while simultaneously suing their show ( production company). Unfortunate 

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

A respected Canadian news anchor who was let go essentially for not dyeing her hair anymore during the pandemic got herself nominated for a major award even though the network didn't submit her work. She submitted it herself and based on that, was recognized.

Makes me wonder if Ari Zucker could have managed the same thing somehow...they aren't in the same profession but the concept is the same I think.

The work should be what's rewarded.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, boes said:

I've never thought much of the Daytime Emmys or any awards show, to be honest.  Judging what's "best" always seems so subjective and so many other factors come into play.  

That being said, the Daytime Emmys are even more suspect these days, with only 4 shows left to choose from.  I think the awards pretty much end up being attendance awards, everybody getting one eventually just for being around.

Speaking of “judging what’s best”, here’s a little story I’ve got to tell:

Long ago, someone told me SOD awards show was more objective than Daytime Emmys because the categories were voted by soap fans through mail-in ballots. For instance, John/Marlena was voted for “Hottest Romance” and Roman/Marlena for “Most Boring Couple” in 1993(?). It was then when I saw old videos of the two pairings and recognized the sheer ridiculosity of that statement.

Additionally, Lane Davies was never nominated for Daytime Emmys nor won any category of SOD awards because of his rumoured reclusiveness (not a favourable aspect for the press). And Justin Deas despite being the frequent contender and winner, thought lowly of those award shows. Instead, he'd often spent time with his children and wife on the exact day when they were broadcast live.

Edited by Sunrain
fixing
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1

Regarding Ari, outside of the networks involvement.  I also wonder how people on the voting committees/voters may have felt. Not that they're against her, but there may have been some uncertainty or hesitation to nominate/vote for her for a role or show that she is in the middle of a lawsuit over. People may not have known if she wanted to be honored, is it appropriate,  more harm than good?

As an aside Ari, Stacy, Paul, Emily, and others did a fan event this past weekend.  While there Stacy and Ari were having some fun and acting out a fist fight between "Kristen and Nicole". Ari commented on the video with, "what a missed opportunity.  We will never know/see."  Not that I thought there was a chance she could ever come back, but there seemed like so much sadness in the quote. She clearly still adores her co-stars. Unfortunate all around. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Useful 3
33 minutes ago, Sunrain said:

Long ago, someone told me SOD awards show was more objective than Daytime Emmys because the categories were voted by soap fans through mail-in ballots. For instance, John/Marlena was voted for “Hottest Romance” and Roman/Marlena for “Most Boring Couple” in 1993(?). It was then when I saw old videos of the two pairings and recognized the sheer ridiculosity of that statement.

Additionally, Lane Davies was never nominated for Daytime Emmys nor won any category of SOD awards because of his rumoured reclusiveness (not a favourable aspect for the press). And Justin Deas despite being the frequent contender and winner, thought lowly of those award shows. Instead, he'd often spent time with his children and wife on the exact day when they were broadcast live.

Lane never getting a nomination for Mason was a travesty. Justin never courted it either, I think he was just so well liked in the industry. A lot of this is a popularity contest 

• Like 3
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, Sunrain said:

I don't take these award shows seriously because they're politicized popularity contests at the end of the day. If I did watch award shows I liked to see what they were wearing but even that is low rent now tbh.

• Like 9
On 4/19/2024 at 3:42 PM, SouthernChick said:

Linsey Godfrey and Emily 0’Brien were nominated for Supporting Actress. Wally  Kurth was nominated for Supporting Actor. DVD was nominated for Guest Role

Really surprised about Linsey since she was gone for so much of 2023.

Did Emily submit her scenes as Gwen or Theresa, I wonder?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Rodney said:

Really surprised about Linsey since she was gone for so much of 2023.

Did Emily submit her scenes as Gwen or Theresa, I wonder?

They only need to submit 3 episodes so she had more than enough

And as Gwen I believe 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
On 4/19/2024 at 7:45 PM, JBC344 said:

Regarding Ari, outside of the networks involvement.  I also wonder how people on the voting committees/voters may have felt. Not that they're against her, but there may have been some uncertainty or hesitation to nominate/vote for her for a role or show that she is in the middle of a lawsuit over. People may not have known if she wanted to be honored, is it appropriate,  more harm than good?

Possible, but if she never works in the industry again after this, wouldn't this be the last opportunity to applaud her?

• Like 4
(edited)
On 4/19/2024 at 4:45 PM, JBC344 said:

As an aside Ari, Stacy, Paul, Emily, and others did a fan event this past weekend.  While there Stacy and Ari were having some fun and acting out a fist fight between "Kristen and Nicole". Ari commented on the video with, "what a missed opportunity.  We will never know/see."  Not that I thought there was a chance she could ever come back, but there seemed like so much sadness in the quote. She clearly still adores her co-stars. Unfortunate all around. 

I thought the way KA left Hope behind was as bad as it would get. She publicly spoke out about how she was treated/not honored for her role in the series and swore she was done with Hope.

She's didn't sue, mind you, but still, her "You disrespected me" press tour didn't reflect well on Corday. I seriously figured we'd never see Hope again.

I suppose because of that turnaround, I'm thinking that this can boil over somehow and in two years Nicole could be back on our screens or something.

Yeah, I'm probably dreaming. I honestly don't even love the character all that much, I'm just so annoyed they never took her and Eric seriously enough to do anything more than tease them as a couple over the years. Eli and Lani can be a married couple, Chad and Abigail can be a married couple, Sami and EJ can be a married couple...but Eric and Nicole? Nothing but teasing.

Old Nicole was fun though. A bit more outspoken, a bit more willing to charge in head-first. Miss that a bit.

Who knows. Maybe this will resolve in time.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 4
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I thought the way KA left Hope behind was as bad as it would get. She publicly spoke out about how she was treated/not honored for her role in the series and swore she was done with Hope.

She's didn't sue, mind you, but still, her "You disrespected me" press tour didn't reflect well on Corday. I seriously figured we'd never see Hope again.

I suppose because of that turnaround, I'm thinking that this can boil over somehow and in two years Nicole could be back on our screens or something.

Yeah, I'm probably dreaming. I honestly don't even love the character all that much, I'm just so annoyed they never took her and Eric seriously enough to do anything more than tease them as a couple over the years. Eli and Lani can be a married couple, Chad and Abigail can be a married couple, Sami and EJ can be a married couple...but Eric and Nicole? Nothing but teasing.

Old Nicole was fun though. A bit more outspoken, a bit more willing to charge in head-first. Miss that a bit.

Who knows. Maybe this will resolve in time.

I've seen worse exits than KA's but as you said she didn't sue. Ari did which is why I don't expect her to ever return tbh. I mean Victoria Rowell(Drucilla on Y&R) sued CBS/Sony and still hasn't returned except for that RL tribute to Kristoff St. John the show did after he passed away.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 4/20/2024 at 9:52 PM, brisbydog said:

They only need to submit 3 episodes so she had more than enough

I really hope it's for her scenes where she reveals that she knew about Leo and Dimitri. That was gold, and it was a great closing arc for her character.

• Like 6
14 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I've seen worse exits than KA's but as you said she didn't sue. Ari did which is why I don't expect her to ever return tbh. I mean Victoria Rowell(Drucilla on Y&R) sued CBS/Sony and still hasn't returned except for that RL tribute to Kristoff St. John the show did after he passed away.

But that's Y&R and not DOOL/Corday.  I've seen Corday cave and people I never thought would come back end up coming back.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But that's Y&R and not DOOL/Corday.  I've seen Corday cave and people I never thought would come back end up coming back.

Yes but did they sue him? Ari did and that's the point. You would be hard pressed to find actors who sue networks/tv shows and be allowed to return after that(Michael Nader on AMC was another example). If there's an example I legit can't think of one. 

• Like 3

This honestly makes me mad to know this because this can't be fixed.

Daysfan on X: "We need details about why this didn’t happen. It’s just unacceptable no matter who is to blame #Days https://t.co/vrjAd2nWEK" / X (twitter.com)

Just now, brisbydog said:

I said she was coming back but I also said Bo with be with her so it's half right and really she should be there more than Bo even if both should be there.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Yes but did they sue him? Ari did and that's the point. You would be hard pressed to find actors who sue networks/tv shows and be allowed to return after that(Michael Nader on AMC was another example). If there's an example I legit can't think of one. 

Just to add to this. Even if a miracle happened and Ari and Corday made up I wouldn't be surprised if Sony wouldn't approve her coming back. It could be a liability issue. 

I'd venture that most people do not return to a job after suing for sexual harassment.  

• Like 3

Now I'm reading this as passive aggressiveness on KA's part 😄

Waaaaaaiiiiit. Hmmm...for the sleuths out there, is it possible PR is filming and all this "they asked/they didn't ask" stuff is classic misdirection? 🤔

• Love 2
10 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Now I'm reading this as passive aggressiveness on KA's part 😄

Waaaaaaiiiiit. Hmmm...for the sleuths out there, is it possible PR is filming and all this "they asked/they didn't ask" stuff is classic misdirection? 🤔

That would be quite the twist but wouldn't some of the soap press have said as much and I've heard the opposite tbh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1