Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, caracas1914 said:

I read in another forum per the numbers people that by virtue of making the finals and Kerber losing in the 3rd round that Serena already will be #1, win or lose the final, albeit by the slimmest of margins.

I didn't realize that, thanks. The announcers were making it sound like she had to win to get back to number 1. 

14 minutes ago, caracas1914 said:

I read in another forum per the numbers people that by virtue of making the finals and Kerber losing in the 3rd round that Serena already will be #1, win or lose the final, albeit by the slimmest of margins.

Here are the point totals as of today: (from Tennis.com)

1 KERBER, ANGELIQUE 8875

2 WILLIAMS, SERENA 7080

I don't know if this already includes the points Kerber has earned from this tournament. 

If Serena wins the Final, she will earn 2000 points. 

If she loses to Venus, she will earn 1300 points. 

--so it seems like she has to win to take over #1 again. But someone correct me if I'm wrong. And I have no idea how "defending last year's points" plays a role in this, either. 

46 minutes ago, topanga said:

Here are the point totals as of today: (from Tennis.com)

1 KERBER, ANGELIQUE 8875

2 WILLIAMS, SERENA 7080

I don't know if this already includes the points Kerber has earned from this tournament. 

If Serena wins the Final, she will earn 2000 points. 

If she loses to Venus, she will earn 1300 points. 

--so it seems like she has to win to take over #1 again. But someone correct me if I'm wrong. And I have no idea how "defending last year's points" plays a role in this, either. 

Mea culpa, I stand corrected.  Should have done the math myself...LOL 

The ranking is a sliding scale, i.e. You "lose" last year's points results for the 365 day period and gain this years results...so Kerber could only defend her points, she couldn't add any more since she was already champion.  Serena as a finalist last year would have to win the event to add any points.

Kerber gets 240 points for getting to this year's 4th round and loses 2000 points from last year's win.  That gives her a net loss of 1760 points which makes her singles points at the conclusion  of the tourney 7115 , whereas  Serena if she loses retains  finalist points to remain at 7080.   So Serena would still trail Kerber by 35 points unless she wins the Champhionshp and adds 700 more.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3

Nah it'll be done within the hour. First guy to blink and lose his service game, will lose the match in my opinion. I'm a little frustrated at Rafa though because talented as Dimitrov is, I feel like this match became so close because Rafa's level just dropped significantly between the first and second set. He played a very, very poor second set, especially on his serve.

eta: Well he didn't make it easy but HELL YEAH!! Rafa. And what do you know - Rafa vs. Federer in 2017.

Rafa won that largely on sheer will towards the end. Bet some Fed fans were praying that would go the other way because considering their past H-H and how Rafa has battled his way to make it to the Finals, I wouldn't bet against him on Sunday.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Great match and boy did  Dimitrov  make  a valiant effort, it almost seemed that Rafa was waiting for him to crack and hesitated himself a few times and we got this almost 5 hour death march.

Dimitrov was whipping out those winners from impossible positions at times...I've given up guessing who will become the next champion in men's tennis but keeping my fingers crossed   Gregor can keep it together.

Gotta say that while I personally like Dimitrov so his beating Nadal would have stung but been bearable, the prospect of him playing Fed after this 5 hour match within 48 hours would not have bode well for the final.

As it is, Rafa better rest his body, but he's as matchtough as he's been in years.  Nice to see.

Thank you Carlos Moya....new coach paid dividends.   

• Love 1

Wow. I honestly don't know what to expect from the men's final? In the past, I've felt pretty confident about Rafa's chances against Roger-- but given the past two years, and the fact that his body has 24 hours less to recover-- the matchup could be trickier than the last time they played in a final-- which was when? the 2011 French? have they met in a slam final since then?

I love that we get a Williams final again. Yet I find it unbearable to watch because I want both to win for different reasons. Hell, the first three games have been breaks. Arggggghh!  And then they show Margaret Court on tv and the only thing I want now is her record broken and for her to never be mentioned again.  

Why is something that should be such good fun so painful to watch?!  As I've been typing it's now four breaks in four games....I think I'm going to bed. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 3

I set the DVR to tape the 9 am re-air because we were going out in the morning and I avoided all social media and news.  My son wakes up, looks at the notifications on his phone and says "hey did you hear Serena won the open?"

ARGH!

• Love 2

There was nowhere you could go on the internet and not get spoiled. I went to Vogue.com to look at Haute Couture Spring Fashion Week and still... a shot of the sisters hugging after the match was there. 

• Love 2

Countdown to men's final...my checklist where it is approximately 7:10 pm central time.

Jammies on? Check!

Dinner consumed? Check!

Two glasses of wine with dinner? Check! (It's Saturday here)

After dinner cocktail ready to be consumed? Check! (Don't judge)

Night night at 8 pm? Check!

Cell phone alarm set to wake me at 3 am? Check!

Loving the prospect of a competitive Fedal match? Check!

i am happy with either outcome but I think Roger really needs to seize the day with this one, mate. In any case, I wish I were there...but not in my jammies! 

• Love 2

I feel like this has been a very weird, topsy-turvy match. So I honestly have no clue who's going to win, heading into the 5th. Hell a half hour ago, I didn't even think there would be a 5th set with how Rafa was serving and moving.

eta: Congrats to Federer on #18. But honestly, this was not a great match. I agreed with McEnroe that neither guy played their best at the same time, particularly in the second, third and fourth sets. And I'm sad for Rafa because I definitely felt like the serve let him down this match, especially at the end. But hopefully he stays healthy and positive and he can finally get his tenth French Open and #15.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Congratulations to Federer.  I wasn't sure that he had another slam in him, and certainly not in his first time back after his 6-month hiatus, but the tennis gods were looking down on him during the entirety of this tournament. I'm sorry for Rafa, but the French may be his opportunity to show us that he can still win a big one.  I hope so. It would be so sweet if the first two slams of 2017 were won by the old warriors.

Edited by Mrs. P.
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, Mrs. P. said:

Congratulations to Federer.  I wasn't sure that he had another slam in him, and certainly not in his first time back after his 6-month hiatus, but the tennis gods were looking down on him during the entirety of this tournament. I'm sorry for Rafa, but the French may be his opportunity to show us that he can still win a big one.  I hope so. It would be so sweet if the first two slams of 2017 were won by the old warriors.

Just what I am thinking too. So happy for Roger, especially after his absence, and these two are such classy rivals. I think 3-2 in the fifth will haunt Rafa and make him more determined at the French. @absolutqt, my ESPN did not go out but you'll have plenty of opportunities to see the celebration since ESPN2 and TTC will rerun it. Now it's time for a nice nap.

• Love 2

I feel like the spouses should be off limits, and I feel badly for thinking this, but I am really surprised that Mirka, knowing the cameras would be all over her, would wear something SO ill-fitting.  

The match to my Open-only watching eyes was amazing.  It felt right that it went to five.

Roger and Serena ... setting them up and then knocking them down.

I'm very happy. Been a huge Fed fan throughout his entire career, and after the last few Slam finals losses was beginning to doubt I'd ever see him win another. And to be honest, despite how well Fed was playing, I thought that Raonic needed to beat Rafa, because I feared Rafa more than anyone else in the final.

For Roger to win a Slam in his first tournament back after 6 months, winning three 5 setters, and beating Rafa in the final after being down in the 5th set - all amazing. Sorry to admit it, but when Roger lost the fourth set I doubted his chances in the 5th, and like practically everyone else, once Rafa got the break I thought it was lights out. But Roger came back to win 5 games in a row and averted what would've been another devastating finals loss. Maybe the worst ever given what was at stake.

I always liked Ivan Lubijic as a player. He was very crafty, and it looks like he's the right coach for Roger in terms of match strategy. For Roger now it becomes all about the body. I think he will likely play a pared back schedule that will enable him to focus on the Majors.

Funny, for a long time it was all about Djokovic and Murray. Now I think all anyone will be taking about again is Roger and Rafa. Both play the game with so much more flair than the current world #1 and #2.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I feel like the spouses should be off limits, and I feel badly for thinking this, but I am really surprised that Mirka, knowing the cameras would be all over her, would wear something SO ill-fitting.  

I'm on a celebrity clothing snark thread on another board, and the rule there is that while you do not make negative comments about the body itself (no too fat or too thin or ugly nose comments or such) what the person choses to drape around the body is fair game for snark as it is felt to be deserved.  Which seems like a decent way to approach it and still have some fun. 

So I'm all for rolling the eyes at some uniform choices that Serena Williams and Russian ice dancers make. 

Edited by selkie
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, bluepiano said:

I'm very happy. Been a huge Fed fan throughout his entire career, and after the last few Slam finals losses was beginning to doubt I'd ever see him win another. And to be honest, despite how well Fed was playing, I thought that Raonic needed to beat Rafa, because I feared Rafa more than anyone else in the final.

For Roger to win a Slam in his first tournament back after 6 months, winning three 5 setters, and beating Rafa in the final after being down in the 5th set - all amazing. Sorry to admit it, but when Roger lost the fourth set I doubted his chances in the 5th, and like practically everyone else, once Rafa got the break I thought it was lights out. But Roger came back to win 5 games in a row and averted what would've been another devastating finals loss. Maybe the worst ever given what was at stake.

This pretty much sums up how I've been feeling.  It was so sad for me when Roger took off the last 6 months of last year, it almost felt like he wasn't coming back.  But at the same time it was also sad seeing him getting to Slam semis and finals the last few years and winning nothing since Wimbledon 2012.  Honestly, I couldn't be more surprised at the whole thing.  I honestly didn't expect him to get past Berdych, then the final against Rafa seemed like it would be so hard,  and then when I had to go to bed without seeing it - I knew it would go to  at least 6 am - I guess it was really more like 3:30 am to 7:45am?  I got up and looked and was so thrilled he had won. No it obviously wasn't easy but I did feel that for all his brilliance for the whole two weeks the big difference was that Roger wasn't worried anymore about the history or the head to head record against Rafa, and finally just went for it in those last five great games.  So happy to see him make it to number 18.

• Love 4

I go back and forth on it, but I've finally decided that the game should change the rules so that let serves are "alive" and played through.

Net balls are allowed in regular baseline rallies, and I just think it would genuinely speed the game up;

• Love 1

Or they could just enforce the 57 time violations pretty much every player commits every match. I do sort of want to see, if not a shot clock, calling of the violation every time. Not just when a player's already been doing it egregiously for an hour. Start calling it every time, from the first point of the first game, and the players will adjust as the warnings turn into point penalties.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Or they could just enforce the 57 time violations pretty much every player commits every match. I do sort of want to see, if not a shot clock, calling of the violation every time. Not just when a player's already been doing it egregiously for an hour. Start calling it every time, from the first point of the first game, and the players will adjust as the warnings turn into point penalties.

I would love to see this. One of the practices that annoys me to no end is this business of players taking excessive time to towel off between points. I've been watching the sport for over thirty years and don't recall players doing that in the 80s and 90s. Rafa is probably the worst offender, but the others do it as well. 

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have Rafa in mind while typing my previous comment, but as you note, he is far from the only offender, but I think I saw a graphic during a match at some point (several matches actually) that basically confirmed the math that his average time to serve was indeed the worst among...I think it was top 50 players or something. Might've been top 100. Anyway, point is, the data supports that Rafa takes forever moreso than even the others who also break the rule.

• Love 2
(edited)

Shot clock? well, I suppose if it was applied across the board consistently to everyone I would be good with that, even as a Raf fan (ha!)  As far as flow of the game once a point started let me include the service ball toss, no more catching it; would create tension that the player has to adjust to his/her own lousy throw and that serve counts regardless.  

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1
On 3/1/2017 at 11:47 AM, caracas1914 said:

Shot clock? well, I suppose if it was applied across the board consistently to everyone I would be good with that, even as a Raf fan (ha!) 

Exactly. Other than the myriad issues there would be trying to referee the shot clock what with when it should be started and whatnot, I'd almost like to see one so some people (commentators and media especially) could see how long so many of the other players besides Rafa go over the limit. Many others dawdle and delay and take as much time as he does but it goes unnoticed and unmentioned unless it's Rafa.

Did you know that it was the blessed St Roger who started this whole fuss about time between serves (not the rule, it's been in place for decades and decades)? As soon as Rafa quit the player's council in frustration, Roger and his ATP management buddies created a "Rule Committee". The only two rules they passed were to try out playing let serves in the minor tournaments for a year, and for special enforcement of the time between serves rule. What Rogie wants, Rogie gets.

As recently as this week, he was dissing Rafa in his inimitable passive aggressive way. He was quoted in an article saying

http://sport360.com/article/tennis/dubai_duty_free_championships/224425/interview-roger-federer-on-his-australian-open-success-his-role-in-the-sport-and-the-future-of-tennis/

“I do believe – one thing is that I would like that the players keep up the pace of playing in between points. It’s just because that’s when I catch myself watching a tennis match and if somebody takes too much time between points, and you hit a let serve and you take the same time again to hit that first serve, when it becomes every shot becomes that important you have to take so much time just to get ready, I lose a little bit of interest.
“I would like just that the players recognise they’re not only playing for themselves but for the fans, so it is nice to keep up the good tempo of the point. That’s my only concern.

So Roger thinks everyone should accommodate his short attention span. *rollseyes*  More than a few tweeters let him know what they thought of him. This was one of them.

@JennyElsom Thanks Rog but as a paying spectator I would rather see an awesome rally after a 30 seconds break than an ace after 15 seconds

Roger wants things to speed up "for the fans". When I spend £50+ on a ticket, I'd like the match to last more than 1/2 hour thanks

In Fed's first match in Dubai against Paire, this happened:

Tom Tebbutt @tomtebbutt 1 h
Dangerous Paire racquet throw to side sign. "Unsportsmanlike" warning (not racquet abuse) from ump Nili. Paire badly fraying. 4-3 Fed w/break.

Stuart Fraser @stu_fraser 1 h
Paire having a meltdown here. Hits racket off courtside advertising boards. Fortunate it did not hit a line judge or ball kid on rebound.

Genny SS @genny_ss 1 h
Just a warning for Paire? this is a joke...but of course let's make a fuss if players use a few seconds more between points. Terrible crime!

In Rogie's press conference, he was asked about it.

Reem Abulleil @ReemAbulleil 33 min
Asked Federer about the Paire racquet smash against the board; in light of what happened w Shapovalov if there should be harsher punishments:

Q. We have seen him throw the racquet against the board and it rebounded. I don't know if you saw that.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, it was funny, actually. He got lucky.

Q. Do you think people should start getting more careful, or punishment should be harsher for stuff like that?

ROGER FEDERER: No, I think it's fine. You know, players know what the consequences are. I don't know how it can be harsher than to be disqualified. Getting a zero point or no prize money? I don't know how - what, get thrown in jail? I don't know. (Smiling.) I mean, that's the next step I guess.

So, throwing balls and equipment and narrowly missing fans and officials and ball kids is just fine, a laughing matter to Fed, but taking an extra few seconds between points needs to be clamped down on because it's such a detriment to the game. *myeyesarerollingoutofmyhead*

• Love 1

I agree about the WC, and honestly I think Sharapova is only coming back to keep herself flush in endorsements. She's what, 29 or 30 at this point? How far can she really go? Her movement sucked at 17 and she hasn't beaten Serena since Bush was in office. I don't see her ever winning more Grand Slams. If I were her I would've just quietly retired. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Is anybody watching the Miami Open? The Federer v. Kyrgios semifinal match is serious! Really high quality tennis & they've just been neck-and-neck the entire match. Shame about K's personality;  I'm really enjoying his tennis, I'd like to root for him....

Bleech!! Just in case you didn't know who you were dealing with, K. made sure to act the fool before he left the court. A mess!

Yea! Rafa & Roger on Sunday!!!!

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 1
(edited)

I watched it and goodness knows I have no like for Kyrgios and his odious personality but to be honest, the ending of the match did leave a slightly bad taste in my mouth. It was certainly no surprise that the crowd was clearly rooting for Federer because not only is it Federer, but no one likes Kyrgios. However, I do feel like some of the reactions from the crowd rattled Kyrgios at what was such a crucial point of the match. Obviously that happens and that's where maturity helps but I felt for such a high quality match from both players, I wished it had ended better. 

Not sure how I feel about Rafa and Federer in the Final because their last match made Rafa look like an amateur against Fed. It is kind of fascinating that after Rafa dominated that H-H so soundly, right now, when Federer is older and theoretically should be slower, he seems to be turning things around between them. I guess to be fair Rafa is slower as well because while a few years younger, he's had to contend with many injuries. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I watched. Frankly, I expected Kyrgios to lose the third set on several occasions by double-faulting, then smashing his raquet because of it, and then effectively defaulting since he already had a code violation and thae point penalty would've been match point. So I guess he was ever so slightly more composed than I gave him credit for since he held off his final hissy fit until after he'd lost. Still, he was audibly cursing during a couple of his tantrums and could've been defaulted anyway if they'd called those violations. I'm a Fed fan anyway but was not displeased to see Kyrgios lose. 

• Love 2

If she is 20 weeks pregnant, she was pregnant at The Australian Open, was she not?  Good for her.  It doesn't matter how far along you are, doing any task at all can be a Herculean task, heh.

Congrats to her and her new mister.

• Love 4

Re-posting what I wrote in the celebrity thread, regarding her possibly retiring. 

Honestly, it would make sense to me for her to retire. She got that last win to surpass Steffi's Grand Slam record and at this point, Serena has cemented her place in my opinion as the greatest female tennis player and quite possibly the greatest tennis player in general. There's nothing left to prove. But then she's a competitor so easier said than done to walk away. 

Just now, NowVoyager said:

She makes this announcement today. On Sharapova's birthday. Oh, the shade.....

I cannot imagine Sharapova is even a blimp on Serena's mind for her to schedule the announcement of something so important in her life, as a way to upstage Maria on her birthday. Hell, do people beyond Maria fans even know today is her birthday? I didn't. 

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

If she is 20 weeks pregnant, she was pregnant at The Australian Open, was she not?  Good for her.  It doesn't matter how far along you are, doing any task at all can be a Herculean task, heh.

Congrats to her and her new mister.

And a month ago she played tennis with some random guys in a local tennis court. She would have been about 13-14 weeks. Probably knew she was pregnant. 

Serena plays tennis

3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Maria who? ;)

I always laugh when the media hypes up the so-called rivalry between the two of them. Yes, Maria upset Serena early on in her career. And Maria is still a good player. But she hasn't beaten Serena in 12 years! 

• Love 1

Apparently she deleted it right after posting it, so I definitely don't think it was calculated to have anything to do with Maria, and is possibly even something she meant to send privately and accidentally published it wide.

I think she'd probably not announce retirement, but would also only come back if she thought she could be #1 again, and win more slams. If in a year she doesn't feel like she can do that, I don't expect her to come back. Then again, post-baby Clijsters bested her in a slam (or was it two?) so I can also easily imagine her wanting to do that herself as well.

• Love 2

I'm happy for Serena and I think she could easily come back and win more Slams. I can't see her playing too many more years, because she's moving into a different phase of life, but maybe one more as a farewell tour and that's it.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I'm happy for Serena and I think she could easily come back and win more Slams. I can't see her playing too many more years, because she's moving into a different phase of life, but maybe one more as a farewell tour and that's it.

Lord, I hope so! I mean, obviously I knew she would retire sooner rather than later, but I selfishly feared an abrupt end to her career with the pregnancy anouncement. (Yes. I know my priorities are out of whack.)

I. Just. Love. Watching her play & I'll take whatever I can get!

From the bottom of my heart, I wish her a healthy & happy pregnancy!

• Love 3