Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

Regarding Coric v. Johnson, what an emotional match. Johnson had his own racket abuse moment, then later got a ball abuse, which he vehemently argued and I could see his side. Then when he won and dropped to his knees sobbing, Coric goes batshit crazy. I wonder how long Johnson can hold it together emotionally. What a shock he's had losing his dad.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

Zverev's loss.

That was quick.

This was actually not a surprise to me. Verdasco is one of the worse players to draw in the first round because his ranking does not accurately reflect his talent. He's that low because he's very inconsistent but when he's on, Verdasco can challenge almost anyone. So the minute I saw the draw, I knew Zverev would have a tough time and if Verdasco played amazing, there was a big chance Zverev would lose. 

Also, I know he won the Italian Open and had a good tournament but to be honest, I was really surprised so many were picking him as the dark horse to win the whole thing when in my opinion, that would be Thiem. Yes he had that epic meltdown after finally beating Rafa and got destroyed by Djokovic but he made two finals and had some pretty impressive wins throughout the clay season. 

Where is everyone at Roland Garros? More empty seats than I would have expected for the Murray v. Delpo match. They're missing an entertaining match. The first set has been great! 

• Love 1

The first session of any day (other than once you get into second week) is often sparsely attended. Also from the overhead shots I've seen, it looks like the super close (and probably expensive and/or promised to corporate sponsors) seats are the empty ones. The cheap seats higher up are quite full. Not packed, but way more people up top in the bigger stadiums.

• Love 3

Oh my! Venus... out. Raonic... out. Sam Stosur... out. Isner... out. Muguruza... out... Kuznetsova... out. Cibulkova & Madison Keys .... been out!

Geez. Who's left? Especially on the women's side. I got Wozniacki and...... ????

(Uh, when is Serena due again?)

• Love 2
(edited)

YMMV but none of these women or men being out is particularly surprising to me save for maybe Kuznetsova and Muguruza who have both won the title. But both women are incredibly inconsistent. 

Clay has never been an easy surface for Venus, same with Raonic who actually did well all things considered. And no offense but Keys and Isner - who and who? I'm being facetious of course as I very much know who they are but neither of those two was any threat to do well at RG.

The favorite for the women is Simona and she's still in it and the favorite for the men is obviously Rafa but Novak is still in it, Thiem has looked stellar and Stan, always dangerous in the second week of a slam is also still in it.  

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I think odds are on Halep or Pliskova. I think Pliskova will be number 1 if she makes the final? Possibly semis. I forget the math. I'd give Mladenovic more of a chance except given how injured she seemed in her first round, I'm not surprised she's done this well, but I also won't be surprised if she can't keep it up.

Isner being out at this stage is, I think, not surprising, although who he went out to might boost the surprise factor. Or the fact that he was broken as many times as he was.

Keys loss was very not surprising given she's fresh off injury and appears to have re-irritated it, but I do expect her to go father at RG in the future. But I also think her game is better suited to hard courts.

Serena's due sometime end August or early Sept, I think. Could easily be born during the US Open.

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow, what the hell happened in the latter part of the Thiem/Djokovic match? I saw the first set, which was fairly competitive and fell asleep. I woke up an hour later to see they were showing one of the Women's Quaterfinals from yesterday. I actually assumed there was a rain delay. Come to realize when I checked the scoreboard that Thiem had already won. 6-0 in the final set - wow. Good for Thiem though.

I had him pegged as the dark horse to win the title while so many tennis experts inexplicably had Zverev. Yes, the kid won the Italian Open but based on consistency throughout the clay season, that's been Thiem. Should be an interesting semi-final with Rafa. Naturally I'm always pulling for Rafa and I want to see him win that 10th French Open dammit. But hopefully it's a good match.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I didn't see it, but read the article. I'll watch on replay tonight.

It seems Djokovic folded like a rickety lawn chair in the third. I don't know if it's physical or mental, but Novak just isn't there anymore. Not that I mind, I've never been a fan.

I'm pulling for Rafa to get his 10th as well. 

• Love 3

I watched the first set of Djokovic/Thiem and then went to the gym so missed the rest. However, the folks on Tennis Channel say he looked like he just gave up. I can't imagine Agassi wasting much time on him if this is his attitude. I, too, am rooting for Rafa to get #10. 

3 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I read some comments on social media and a lot of people seem to think he just gave up and tanked the third set and are pretty pissed off about it. 

The final set lasted only 20 minutes, so yeah, it definitely sounds like he tanked it.

Yeah-- I caught the first set tie breaker and most of the second before heading to work-- by the time I got to work-- the match was over. I'm wondering if Novak just no longer has the drive after achieving the career slam.

I suspect his partnership with Agassi won't last long. If Nole's heart isn't in it-- I don't know what Andre could do for him-- unless he discovers secret tells about all the top ten players (ala Boris' serve motion)

• Love 1

Ha! Martina almost dropped the "S" bomb! Did anyone else catch it? They showed a graphic of average forehand speeds and Ostapenko is ranked behind Thiem, Wawrinka and Nadal at 76 mph, which is amazing. Well, Martina says "Holy shi... Holy cow!" And then giggles as she caught herself in time! 

• Love 1
On 6/7/2017 at 7:21 AM, truthaboutluv said:

I read some comments on social media and a lot of people seem to think he just gave up and tanked the third set and are pretty pissed off about it. 

It might be splitting hairs but to me, giving up and tanking are slightly different? I think he definitely gave up, but he also seemed to be some weird combination of out of steam and too pissed off to function. Which sort of describes him most of last year as well.

I'm a little bummed Thiem and Rafa are in the same half because I'd probably have put Thiem as second most likely to win the thing (in such a way that I'd much rather see him in a final against Rafa), but I'm guessing this is going to be Rafa-Stan redux.

(edited)

I just think the Herculean effort to win all 4 Majors consecutively, something only previously accomplished in the Open era in 1969 with Rod Laver's calendar year Grand Slam took so much out of Djokovic.   Roger couldn't do it, neither could Nadal, nor Sampras, McEnroe, Agassi, Connors, Lendl, Borg, etc. 

He's been at or near the top for 5-6 years.

So Novak's is understandably  burned out, it happens to all the top players sooner than later, and it's hardly surprising at 30 it's happened to him.   Add that married with a child , tennis isn't the all consuming passion anymore. 

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3

Even being broken in the third, she didn't let it get the best of her and fade away. I suppose I've been burned by so many women who got to the big moment and choked. It's so good to see a young woman, clearly in awe of the moment, still able to power through.

• Love 2

While watching Rafa's match against Thiem I was struck by how effortful Thiem's shotmaking is.  He seems to have to throw his body fully into every shot to get all that power, but I would assume that would make it harder to be consistent.  Has anyone heard any commentary on this?  It seems to me the top guys have much more effortless power shotmaking.

• Love 1

I like Ostapenko. She's just plain fun to watch. And that she didn't get all flummoxed with herself when she missed. She'd just breathe deep and had this look on her face like "well I'll just hit the shit out of it next time". And then she mostly did. Her attitude is like the opposite of Novak's this week.

Is anyone else bugged by the whole "drop to the ground as soon as you win" thing some players do? Rafa especially. It really annoys me. I mean sure, yeah, be glad for your victory, but in most cases, I find this behaviour so disingenuous, and a big gloaty. If it were a 5 hour match, or something that was really close, or you came from way behind, or you've been super injured and never thought you'd come back, or it's your very first slam win ever, ok, I get it. That merits an emotional response. But Rafa went into this thing the heavy favourite. He was in complete control the entire match. I know Rafa is known for never assuming he's up and will win and never lets his guard down. But seriously, this match was SHORT. It was one-sided. And it's great he doesn't take it for granted that he'd win. But to drop to the ground as if he didn't just completely breeze through that match? It vexes me. I know he broke a record and it's probably very meaningful to him. And I don't begreudge him that. But I keep hearing commentators (in many of his matches) talking about how humble he is, and this thing he does never strikes me as humble. It's his version of a victory dance. It's great he doesn't take it for granted that he'll win, but it's silly to pretend it's shocking when you're the overwhelming favourite and you do.

I seriously doubt Roger is sobbing into his beer, he's still got 18 Grand Slam titles which is pretty impressive. But not to take anything away from Rafa, winning 15 titles is still an impressive feat also. He just happens to be better on clay.

• Love 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I like Ostapenko. She's just plain fun to watch. And that she didn't get all flummoxed with herself when she missed. She'd just breathe deep and had this look on her face like "well I'll just hit the shit out of it next time". And then she mostly did. Her attitude is like the opposite of Novak's this week.

Is anyone else bugged by the whole "drop to the ground as soon as you win" thing some players do? Rafa especially. It really annoys me. I mean sure, yeah, be glad for your victory, but in most cases, I find this behaviour so disingenuous, and a big gloaty. If it were a 5 hour match, or something that was really close, or you came from way behind, or you've been super injured and never thought you'd come back, or it's your very first slam win ever, ok, I get it. That merits an emotional response. But Rafa went into this thing the heavy favourite. He was in complete control the entire match. I know Rafa is known for never assuming he's up and will win and never lets his guard down. But seriously, this match was SHORT. It was one-sided. And it's great he doesn't take it for granted that he'd win. But to drop to the ground as if he didn't just completely breeze through that match? It vexes me. I know he broke a record and it's probably very meaningful to him. And I don't begreudge him that. But I keep hearing commentators (in many of his matches) talking about how humble he is, and this thing he does never strikes me as humble. It's his version of a victory dance. It's great he doesn't take it for granted that he'll win, but it's silly to pretend it's shocking when you're the overwhelming favourite and you do.

I loved watching Ostapenko too! She is so much fun.

No, I'm not bugged by the drop to the ground. And if I remember correctly, after a particularly brutal shellacking of Roger during one French Final, Rafa did not do it. Moreover, it's something the majority of players do in some way. Women tend to drop to their knees. Men drop to the ground. It's not particular to Rafa at all. I think of it as the winner "losing their legs" in the moment.  Sometimes they are just so overcome with emotion that they just drop. 

It's been a rough couple of years for Rafa with injuries, poor results and Toni deciding to walk away. 

I read Rafa's book and the way Tony has beaten him down, Rafa truly is humble. Toni has done an amazing job coaching Rafa, but it's near brutal, and Rafa is grateful and doesn't resent it at all. 

So yes, he's humble. And no, I'm not bothered by any player dropping to the ground.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, theatremouse said:

When you put it that way, it kinda is the equivalent of Taylor Swift's shocked face at awards shows, but the collapse to the ground at championship point is so endemic that it's a refreshing surprise when it doesn't happen. Years ago when Agassi was dating Streisand and won Wimbledon(?), I remember my mom joking that Barbra must have him given him some acting lessons for all the melodramatics. It looks silly but I don't really care, then again, even Djokovic hulking out and ripping his shirt after a big win doesn't bother me much.

• Love 1

So, I listened to Radio Roland Garros while watching the final rather than listening to McEnroe. When are they going to cut him loose? He drives me nuts. Is it worth re-watching to get any good tidbits or was it more "well, Borg used to..."?

If it were a 5 hour match, or something that was really close, or you came from way behind, or you've been super injured and never thought you'd come back, or it's your very first slam win ever, ok, I get it. That merits an emotional response. 

You mean like what Rafa has been through in the last three years with his knees, then the wrist, then his confidence being shot, having to hear the whispers and comments that he was done, that it may be time to hang it up? Hell I love Rafa and I'll admit that even I wasn't sure he could get back to where he was some years ago. Not when I had to see heartbreaking losses like that US Open loss to Fognini after Rafa was up two sets and a break. So yeah, obvious win or not, this tenth title was a long journey to get there. And that's why he was clearly full on sobbing in his towel after.

Honestly, I feel like Rafa's almost been in a zone this past two weeks. He actually hasn't shown much emotion until the end. He's had this eerie calm about him the whole time, which is why I said he was almost clinical on the court. I think the Championship Point was the moment he finally relaxed the whole two weeks because I cannot imagine the pressure he put on himself to win this with everything that was riding on it. Not just the record 10th win but surpassing Pete in total Grand Slams and just winning a slam again after three years of disappointment. 

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

You mean like what Rafa has been through in the last three years with his knees, then the wrist, then his confidence being shot, having to hear the whispers and comments that he was done, that it may be time to hang it up? 

If this were his first or second tournament after the wrist thing (or any of the knee things, or after he'd been losing terribly, and frequently and this broke that streak), today's ground collapse I'd look past. But he's been in top form for at least the past four months, if not longer. That's why it bugged me today. The sobbing was genuine and I take no issue with that. It's specifically that the second the point is over, the legs go out completely, that I find silly, not just from him; it frequently bugs me when other players do it too) but Rafa's doing it today was the latest example of it in a circumstance where I found it unwarranted.

• Love 1

Just going to disagree here. Rafa has gone two years without a Grand Slam, and throughout this two weeks, has maintained a laser-like focus. He finally allowed himself to feel and celebrate. I have no problem with it.

Then again, my pet peeve is the awkward and ridiculous hugs that happen after a match between the ladies. Most of them look like they are being forced to hug their creepy uncle or stalker. Awkward. I long for the day that women can stick their hands out for a business-like shake and not be thought of as cold or unfeeling.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Just going to disagree here. Rafa has gone two years without a Grand Slam, and throughout this two weeks, has maintained a laser-like focus. He finally allowed himself to feel and celebrate. I have no problem with it.

I agree. 

• Love 1

Lord knows what kind of jackass moves I would make if I ever won a sporting event.

I don't have a problem with players dropping to the ground to celebrate (although Roger always looks like he fell out of a wheelchair when he does it).  They won, they're in the moment.

I also don't have a problem with the women players hugging each other.  It might look awkward to some viewers but perhaps it doesn't feel awkward to the players, since they all know each other and might play each other on a regular basis.  Also, a lot of the guys pat each other on the chest like they're burping each other.  I think it's cute.    

Strangely enough, the only celebration I find irritating is when Tsonga wins and dances around in a circle with his arms in the air.  It just looks kind of silly.

• Love 5

I would imagine that after two intense weeks of competition, there would be massive relief combined with joy at winning.  Lord knows if I won some international competition with the best of the best, I'd be blown away every single time. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Quof said:

When you do something good at your job, perhaps even something really awesome, do you fall on your knees in celebration?

You've obviously never competed and won a major  champhionship in a sporting event. ?

On another note, I find it extraordinary that at the midway point of the year, the top five in computer rankings are all 30 or older.

Wimbledon truly seems wide open this year.

• Love 7

Sorry that I don't see games as the greatest challenge, and accomplishment, on the planet.   Perhaps I should have fallen on my knees when I won in the Supreme Court.

(edited)
35 minutes ago, Quof said:

Sorry that I don't see games as the greatest challenge, and accomplishment, on the planet.   Perhaps I should have fallen on my knees when I won in the Supreme Court.

So it's not really about tennis then I see.

It has nothing to do with the merits of sports vis-a-vis other things in life.  It has to with understanding the culture of sports in general and how people react with adrenaline flowing in the heat of athletic competition.   You don't like it, that's fine, but it seems more to me you don't seem to grasp what emotions it entails in the athlete.

Winning a Grand Slam,  a Super Bowl, a World Series, an NBA champhionship, an Olympic gold medal , a Stanley Cup, The Masters in golf, etc, elicit a lot of "over the top " celebrations.  It's not unique to tennis.

Though not gonna lie, I now  have the visual of Federer doing his falling out of the wheelchair drop to the ground when his two sets of twins were born....  After all , that would be more important than mere "games".  ; )

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Quof said:

What? That's ridiculous. It's not the greatest challenge or accomplishment. It's a situation in which adrenaline and emotion take over. And clearly you've never experienced that. Everything from winning an Academy Award to winning the Little League tournament gives you that rush.

Winning at the Supreme Court level? Meh. It's not that thrilling unless it's something like Obergefell. And there were plenty of people overcome with that one.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 2

I'm just a little confused where this is suddenly coming from. This thread has existed for almost three years now, where we've discussed numerous Slams and winners and people's reaction to winning have never seemed to matter. Now all of a sudden, Rafa falls to the ground in celebration after completing a feat that no other male in tennis has and the reaction draw so much criticism to the point of comparing it to winning a case in the Supreme Court. Seriously?  

LeBron James wept like a baby, while cradling the basketball, on his knees, after the Cavs won last year. Djokovic fell to his knees last year after finally winning the French. Serena dropped to her butt after winning the Australian this year. There is a plethora of emotional reactions throughout sports history. All of a sudden Rafa's humility is being called into question because well, he was the favorite and he controlled the match so he couldn't truly be emotional and overwhelmed by a moment that he maybe wasn't sure would happen when he kept suffering injury after injury? Yeah again, completely confused. 

• Love 9
(edited)
27 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I'm just a little confused where this is suddenly coming from. This thread has existed for almost three years now, where we've discussed numerous Slams and winners and people's reaction to winning have never seemed to matter. Now all of a sudden, Rafa falls to the ground in celebration after completing a feat that no other male in tennis has and the reaction draw so much criticism to the point of comparing it to winning a case in the Supreme Court. Seriously?  

LeBron James wept like a baby, while cradling the basketball, on his knees, after the Cavs won last year. Djokovic fell to his knees last year after finally winning the French. Serena dropped to her butt after winning the Australian this year. There is a plethora of emotional reactions throughout sports history. All of a sudden Rafa's humility is being called into question because well, he was the favorite and he controlled the match so he couldn't truly be emotional and overwhelmed by a moment that he maybe wasn't sure would happen when he kept suffering injury after injury? Yeah again, completely confused. 

There are plenty of sports stars I can't stand (Hi Tom Brady!), and when I see their victory celebrations, I kind of want to punch them right in the face, but I don't come here and post that their emotions are somehow inappropriate or disingenuous. Rafa is a bit polarizing and his accomplishment, winning an individual Slam ten times, is an accomplishment that surpasses Martina Navratilova and it's something Roger Federer is unlikely to achieve. So if someone doesn't like Rafa, it's got to sting a bit that he has something that we are not likely to see again. 

The same thing with humblebragging, which is often laid at Rafa's door and which we saw a clear example of here. If you don't like someone, everything they do seems snarky and fake. It's just that.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 2

I'm happy for Rafa and his win was well deserved, but I was hoping for a more competitive match. Wimbledon is going to be verrrry interesting this year.

I'm also curious to see if Ostapenko is the real deal or a one-hit wonder. She definitely has the game to be a top player, so hopefully she doesn't crash and burn like Bouchard.

• Love 4