Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, Harry24 said:

Patrick Murt- ... ge- ... Serena's coach was asked to explain the background on the Stan-Jo ill-will, but between the crowd noise and PM's accent I couldn't understand what he was saying.  It had something to do with remarks Stan had made (about French players?) after he won his first major.  Anyone know about this?  

I was sad to see it because I like both of them so much, and I've always heard they are both very well-liked, nice guys.

From Nov. 2014, this article talks about a Davis Cup bathroom confrontation and comments from Tsonga after Stan's AO win. I had no idea! When Tsonga started talking to Wawrinka last night, I assumed it was going to be friendly, but then it wasn't. More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2017/01/24/stan-wawrinka-jo-wilfried-tsonga-involved-angry-exchange-australian/

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, dcalley said:

From Nov. 2014, this article talks about a Davis Cup bathroom confrontation and comments from Tsonga after Stan's AO win. I had no idea! When Tsonga started talking to Wawrinka last night, I assumed it was going to be friendly, but then it wasn't. More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2017/01/24/stan-wawrinka-jo-wilfried-tsonga-involved-angry-exchange-australian/

I love how they were arguing in French with Pharell's "Happy" playing in the background. The petty part of me is loving the drama. We need more bad blood in tennis, lol. 

eta: Wasn't Stan the one who got into it with Federer's wife a few years back? 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2

My Facebook timeline is a soul-sucking cesspool lately so watching Lucic's emotional reaction while scrolling through FB made me cry too.  She also sounds like a very fun person.

If she writes a book, I will buy it.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

She nearly made the interviewer cry if that helps.

I am so confused.  I was watching the tennis channel last night and swear I was watching Federer against Raoncic and Roger was not doing well and making a million unforced errors.  But then all the news this morning says he defeated Zverev easily to make the semis.  Was I on the wrong channel watching a rerun of some other tournament?  

Edited by mojoween

I'd say so because Raonic and Federer weren't even in the same side of the draw. You were probably seeing highlights of last year's Wimbledon, when Roanic beat Federer in five sets. It was Roger's last GS appearance before he went out with injury for six months. So his semifinal run at this year's Aus Open is his first GS semifinal appearance since last year's Wimbledon.

eta: Dare I say it, are we actually going to see Federer and Rafa in another GS final? Amazing performance by Rafa. I knew this was over when he won the tiebreak in the second set. Tiebreaks have been the bane of Rafa's existence in the last couple of Slam appearances because they often favor the server and Rafa's serve has not been the best in the last few years. But that's the thing I have been most impressed with this tournament - how well he's been serving. He's winning a lot more free points on it and getting himself out of trouble with it. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
Just now, WhyIsTheRumGone said:

The possibility of a Fedal final in 2017 is still alive!

...we're totally getting Wawrinka vs. Dimitrov, aren't we?

lol... Yeah the commentators are all so clearly thirsty for it that it feels like that's exactly why it won't happen. I personally don't care if Federer loses to Stan because I'm really just here for Rafa. 

On 1/23/2017 at 9:31 PM, blackwing said:

Fantastic win by Venus, Goddess on a Mountain Top!  So thrilled for her.  She has worked hard this tournament.

I truly dislike Coco Vandeweghe.  Every time she opens her mouth, garbage comes out.  She is the epitome of arrogance.  When was the last time there was a female player on the tour that spits out this much arrogance and lack of grace?   I really hope she loses her match against Muguruza.  

She didn't just win--her tennis looked great. I haven't seen Venus play a match like that in a while--with very few wild shots or embarrassing unforced errors. 

I don't know if Coco is arrogant or just really, really competitive and mouthy. I saw her play in-person at a World Team Tennis event--an exhibition match, mind you, and she was the same way whenever she won a point. It was actually kinda funny to see her and Taylor Townsend mouthing off at each other across the court. 

• Love 1

Oh my God I hope it wasn't Wimbledon because how embarrassing would that be that I didn't notice the different surface?

Mojoween, I'm guessing the match TTC was playing was last year's Brisbane final.

I am so confused.  I was watching the tennis channel last night and swear I was watching Federer against Raoncic and Roger was not doing well and making a million unforced errors.

I shared your confusion. My dog gets up really early (usually around 5:30) so after letting him out, I turned on the tennis to try and catch the Rafa-Raonic match and I saw Fed-Raonic. I think it was, as @Harry24 pointed out, last year's Brisbane. 

I found Rafa-Raonic on ESPN2 instead of TENNIS so I caught the last set live. I am an unapologetic Rafa fan and it was so great to see him play well, and be so happy after the win.

I don't want to get too excited about a Fedal final-- one match at a time. But it's hard not to hope.

fun fact about me: I go to the US Open every year with some college friends, usually Labor Day weekend. Back in 2013, Rafa and Fed were on course to meet in the quarterfinals-- so I told everyone we should re-arrange our trip and I'd trade our fourth round tix for quarterfinal tix. (trading 3 sessions for 2 night sessions) I was betting the organizers would put Rafa-Roger's first US Open meeting on at night)

Well, Roger lost in the fourth round to Tommy effin' Robredo, and we were all so disappointed. ( I still carry a little grudge against Roger for that)  

Rafa spanked Robredo in straights, the other quarterfinal was nothing spectacular either. I think it was Novak-Tsonga-- but Nole won in straights.

• Love 2

I have one wish for the rest of the tournament, and I'll gladly accept most any other result.

My one wish is that Venus dismantles Coco in the semis. I cannot stand Coco's fake bravado and her utter classlessness. (There's some articles floating around the internet about her antics, and you can even see a YouTube clip of her from 2014 saying "fuck that bitch" after she beat Muguruza in a grass-court match.) And she supports Trump. 

Beyond that, I'd be A-OK with anything else that happens. I'd love a Fedal final, I'd love Grigor making the finals. I'd love an all-Williams final, I'd love Lucic defying the odds and winning. I can accept pretty much any other result except Coco.

• Love 4

I'm a big Williams fan , but not gonna lie, Mirjana winning it all would be so incredible and the ultimate Rocky story.  Do think she's be  on fumes when she plays Serena, but who knows?

Again with Rafa/Dimitrov my heart is with Rafa , but Grigor  has such a gorgeous game ( that backhand!) that if he beats Rafa I hope he wins it all.

Edited by caracas1914

During the delay to get the roof closed for men's doubles, they showed a piece Mary did scuba diving in an aquarium.  It was super cute but the best part was the peanut gallery of Lindsey Davenport and her son Jack.  Right when Mary went to the bottom the first time Jack says "hope you don't die."

• Love 2

U.S. TV watching alert: tonight's men's semis are on regular ESPN, not ESPN2 or TTC. Also, how many AO's are they going to run the tourism commercial of EJ Brady's Far and Wide. If I hear that chick droning on about the sea rain falling one more time........

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Sorry @crimsongrl, sorry, I should have added that men's semis are on ESPN. You are right that women's are on ESPN2.

Thanks for the alerts, I will have to see if I can record Roger's match over Tennis Channel though, I can't stay up until 3 am (to start!)  here and I'm never sure that ESPN will cut away from other sports to honor Tennis unless it's Wimbledon maybe.  The time difference between Melbourne and New York is such that all the night matches will start much too late.  I long for the good old days in the 1980s when this slam was still on grass and they began the men's and women's finals in the afternoon so it was only at 9 or 10 pm here.

Edited by roseha
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

During the delay to get the roof closed for men's doubles, they showed a piece Mary did scuba diving in an aquarium.  It was super cute but the best part was the peanut gallery of Lindsey Davenport and her son Jack.  Right when Mary went to the bottom the first time Jack says "hope you don't die."

Mary Carillo? I'm sorry I missed Jack, hee. I am watching on ESPN3 (Watch ESPN on their website). We got Nadal et al. playing a game in the hallway where they were trying to kick the tennis ball as close to the wall as possible without hitting it.

ETA: 3/4 semis women are in their 30s--woooo!

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 2

I know, @roseha! This tournament is a killer with the time difference and I'm in the central time zone. Do you not hear spoilers in the morning when you wake up? I have to be careful to avoid my favorite sports radio station if I'm really invested in a player. 

• Love 1

Ha, to tell you the truth @Spunkygal, I don't even avoid spoilers from the AO if I'm invested, I look up the score when I get up so I can watch the match without worrying about it.  It's been so great watching Roger's performances this tournament, and this way I'm not nervous (I know, I'm chicken about tennis).

Come on Venus!

Edited by roseha
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, absolutqt said:

UGH.  This Vandewegh tongue bath is making me stabby.  Come on, Venus...let's go! 

You and me both. When she strings together five or six good tournaments in a row, get back to me. It kind of reminds of how the announcers were slobbering all over Bouchard when she had that one good year, and she's crashed and burned ever since.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

U.S. TV watching alert: tonight's men's semis are on regular ESPN, not ESPN2 or TTC. Also, how many AO's are they going to run the tourism commercial of EJ Brady's Far and Wide. If I hear that chick droning on about the sea rain falling one more time........

Every year during the Australian Open coverage there's an ad for Melbourne tourism that gets played to death. One year it was this:

I remember this song getting stuck in my head a lot if I watched too much tennis, too:

• Love 1

What does it say about ESPN that they think it's appropriate to put a repeated crawl of Coco's famous relatives under the screen?  How about when Venus is serving, writing "Sister:  Serena Williams."

I wonder, if Venus makes it, when was the last time she made it to a slam final before Serena?

• Love 2

She's got it!  Yeah baby, she's got it.   She is Venus, she's on fire, her desire!

Amazing perfomance by Venus Williams.  Amazing feat to make it to a final at 36 years old.  Loved the commentary by Chris Evert.  I could tell that Evert really wanted Venus to win even though she couldn't say.  Right after Venus won, she said that it taste sweeter near the end of your career.

Won't be able to stay up for Serena-Lucic but I'm hoping for a Venus win in the finals either way.  Would be great to see her play her sister for perhaps the last time in a Slam final.

• Love 2

I really hate when the commentators act like a match is already a foregone conclusion before it's even played. Goodness knows I want nothing more than for Rafa to win tonight and hell win the whole damn tournament but McEnroe and company are driving me crazy with all their talk of the Roger/Rafa final. Like way to just dismiss and underestimate Grigor. And considering how this tournament has gone so far, you'd think they'd really want to avoid doing that. 

But that said, of course I am rooting hard for Rafa tonight and if he wins, then this will truly be a throwback Australian Open because who the hell, when the year started, thought an all-Williams final would happen and (potentially) a Rafa/Roger final.  I am so happy for Venus. I fell asleep after that tight, topsy-turvy first set and wasn't sure if she could pull it together. I was actually worried that after that tight, hard fought first set, she'd maybe just fade in the second. But not so much. 

And thank goodness she did because I'm sorry, maybe CoCo is a lovely woman off the court, but her whole energy and demeanor on court just freaking bugs me. That stupid perma-smirk and smug look, the body language, the posturing - just ugh. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

Was it terrible of me to secretly be pulling for Mirjana?  I REALLY want Venus to win this whole thing and I know she would've had a better shot against Mirjana than Little Sis. I always pull for both the Williams sisters but Venus has always been my favorite. I love her stoicism.  Her pissed reaction after dropping that first set was priceless.

Roger had to make it interesting, didn't he?  My giddiness this morning has to compensate for my lack of sleep.  And I think I may be the only human on Earth who doesn't want a Rafa-Roger Final.  Go, Dimitrov!

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, absolutqt said:

And I think I may be the only human on Earth who doesn't want a Rafa-Roger Final.  Go, Dimitrov!

Well considering their H-H and especially in Grand Slams, if I were a Roger fan, I wouldn't want that final either.

• Love 1

Dammit..now Rafa has to win against Grigor.

Love the Bulgarian's game, but I suspect Grigor will lay down and die before Roger;  there is too much fawning obsequiousness for somone like Grigor, (ala Stan the man) who is interlinked with Roger too many ways.  I seem to recall Federer was a mentor, they shared an agent who pulled away from IMG , have common business dealings, "Baby Fed",  etc, etc.  

Rafa, like Novak, has absolutely no problem mentally distancing  himself from Roger once a match begins.  Of course  With Roger/Novak it "helps" that there was some kind obvious tension/bad blood from the getgo, so who knows what started that.  

Off the court Nadal defers to Roger as much as anyone but on the court he's the one competitor who's never seemed to be cowed or in awe of Roger that it impacts his play.  Didn't hurt him either that game wise, Rafa's strengths play to Roger's weaknesses and they both know it.

Murray is different, in that he seemed competitive with Roger for years everywhere but Majors...

Love me some Williams, but while they've had some high quality matches the last few years I suspect it's going to be Serena all the way.  Everything Venus does, Serena does a little bit better, (well except for volleying).

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

I'm glad for Venus-- but IMO Venus-Serena matches are hardly ever good tennis, there's just too much baggage.

Serena's trying to surpass Steffi's slam record, so she's not gonna lay down, not even for her sister. I think it will be Serena in straights.

I really don't want to get my hopes up about Rafa (see my earlier post re: Tommy effin' Robredo).

2 hours ago, absolutqt said:

Roger had to make it interesting, didn't he?  My giddiness this morning has to compensate for my lack of sleep.  And I think I may be the only human on Earth who doesn't want a Rafa-Roger Final.  Go, Dimitrov!

No I don't want it either.  I just want a Roger win, basically, but I would be happy to see him playing against Dimitrov rather than Nadal.  I may be in a minority, but there you are.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, sacrebleu said:

I'm glad for Venus-- but IMO Venus-Serena matches are hardly ever good tennis, there's just too much baggage.

Serena's trying to surpass Steffi's slam record, so she's not gonna lay down, not even for her sister. I think it will be Serena in straights.

I really don't want to get my hopes up about Rafa (see my earlier post re: Tommy effin' Robredo).

I have hope that the match will be a good one since Venus is playing better than she has in years, and Serena is a better player overall than she was during the heyday of the sloppy Williams vs. Williams finals.  Then again, the sisters say that it's emotionally painful for them to play one another, which is probably part of the reason they don't play their best tennis when they play each other. 

Venus is my sentimental favorite, since I don't know how many more Grand Slam finals she has in her. But the tennis purist in me wants Serena to keep winning Grand Slams well into her 40s, a.l.a. Martina, and for her to be the undisputed best women's tennis player ever (but I'm sure that will always be disputed). And Serena has suffered some tough losses lately in Grand Slam semis and finals. 

7 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Roger! Roger! Roger! I watched the first three sets and then recorded the rest. But when I woke up, I couldn't stand it and had to look at the results. Wow, can't wait for the final! Bring it, Roger.

Roger looked defeated after he lost that 4th set. I wondered about his endurance since he didn't play much last year. But he managed to pull it out. 

I'll be pulling for Rafa tonight, not because I want to see a Rafa-Roger final, but because these are two iconic tennis players who have been hampered in recent years by injuries and bad losses.  And they're both so much fun to watch. Unlike Murray and Djokovic, who are great tennis players, but their matches put me to sleep. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I think Serena could be considered the best tennis player ever, full stop.

Yes. Serena said as much in an interview. Not that she thinks she's the best tennis player ever, but that she'd like to be. 

30 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I agree, it's not even a contest in my opinion. 

I'm actually kind of bummed that it's a Williams vs. Williams final, not because I have anything against the sisters but because the matches are so uncomfortable to watch. Especially this one, because if Serena wins she's potentially robbing her sister of one last Slam victory, and if Venus wins she prevents Serena from breaking Graf's record and reclaiming the No. 1 ranking. That's a lot to chew on, no matter how much they try to keep it professional. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I think It pretty much boils down (in the Open Era) to Serena or Steffi for most folks (well you have a smaller contingent lead by Martina Navratilova herself screaming  "Martina!").

Of course there never will be a definitive  answer but if Serena gets to 23 Majors and counting... her adherents have as solid results as anyone to back her up.  Nowadays total Majors seems the ultimate barometer.

The petty person in me wants Serena to match or even surpass Martina's 9 Wimbledon titles just because I know it will drive Navratilova bonkers......

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

, and if Venus wins she prevents Serena from breaking Graf's record and reclaiming the No. 1 ranking.

I read in another forum per the numbers people that by virtue of making the finals and Kerber losing in the 3rd round that Serena already will be #1, win or lose the final, albeit by the slimmest of margins.

Edited by caracas1914