Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, BitterApple said:

It was definitely time. I hope she enjoys married life and I wish her the best.

Great player, and I'm glad she retired on her own, not because of a catastrophic injury. I always thought she was really thin, but I used her listed height and weight (6 feet, 152 lbs) to calculate her BMI, and it came out normal: 20.6.  Maybe it's just that other tennis players are more muscular, or Ana was constantly getting injured, but she always seemed frail to me. Talented and athletic, but frail. 

22 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I'm surprised she's listed at that height and weight. She looks several inches shorter and much, much lighter to me.

My son, who plays football, says he and his teammates always add height and weight to their roster stats. I'm not sure if female tennis players do that. 

• Love 1

She's definitely in the 6'-6'1" range. I've seen her play in person a few times, and she's definitely a gorgeous Amazonian.

She seemed like such a sweet girl. Which is probably why her mental game could never quite match with her ball-striking abilities. In many ways she was a millennial Sabatini. Heralded player with an all-court game, chronic serving woes and issues with nerves. One slam to their resume, and largely remembered for their beauty and inability to make good on initial promise.

There was that brief period in 2007-2008 (when she made three slam finals and a SF), where I thought she was going to be another challenger to the throne. Best of luck to her in her post-tennis life, she seems to have plenty on her plate.

• Love 2

Roger's back

It's so great to see that incomparable Fed fluidity again. However, he is wearing the ugliest kit of his entire career.  Normally you can count on him to buck the Nike Uglies, but not this time.  

• Love 2

Well, well and just like that things just got very interesting. Djokovic is out in the 2nd round and in dramatic fashion. I got up in the middle of the night and saw most of the fourth set. When Istomin lost the break I thought for sure it was over and then when they went to the tie break, I just wanted him to at least take it to five. So I watched until that happened, sure that Djokovic would blow him away in the 5th set. Not so much apparently.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I didn't stay up to watch the Djokovic match but yesterday I wasn't optimistic about his overall prospects here after reading about the "cuddle guru".

The path is clearing for Sir Andy! I figured he'd be knighted someday (or at least have it offered, I know people can decline), but I guess these things can't wait when a man from the UK wins his second Wimbledon title.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1

I'm pleased to have Novak out (not a fan). It really opens up the draw. Also, I still hold out the small hope that Nadal has at least one more slam in him. First, because he'd have won all four Slams twice (which no one else but Laver has done), and second, because he'd surpass Sampras on the all-time slams list. 

I'm perfectly happy to have Fed keep his place atop the slam list-- but I'd love for Nadal to get just one more.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Well, well and just like that things just got very interesting. Djokovic is out in the 2nd round and in dramatic fashion. I got up in the middle of the night and saw most of the fourth set. When Istomin lost the break I thought for sure it was over and then when they went to the tie break, I just wanted him to at least take it to five. So I watched until that happened, sure that Djokovic would blow him away in the 5th set. Not so much apparently.

It was a gripping match that I watched from beginning (that marathon first game) to end. Great hitting by both guys, incredible rallies. So much of tennis is mental, and often when you see a big underdog lose an early lead they become resigned and quietly go away. But big credit to Istomin, because even after the disappointment of almost winning the second set, and then being down two sets to one, he kept fighting. By the start of the fifth set, amazingly, he was the one playing with confidence. Late in the match, Djoko had the body language that said he didn't believe he could win.

I saw Istomin play live a few years ago and was impressed by his talent. Maybe at 30 it's not too late for him to get it together and make some noise on the tour. An interesting phenomena of the past few years is guys playing their best tennis after they turn 30. Obviously Wawrinka, but others as well. Gilles Muller just won his first ATP tour and has his highest ranking ever at 33.

I watched Djoko's post-match press conference, and I have to give him credit for the polite and patient way he answered a lot of really stupid questions. I used to think that he was an arrogant jerk, but I think he's grown up a lot in the past year or so.

In other (non) news, John McEnroe is still an obnoxious know-it-all who never shuts up. His nonstop blabbing is a constant distraction when you're trying to watch a match, especially a great one like Djokovic-Istomin. With McEnroe it's never about the match being played. It's always about him. Not a Kyrgios fan, but I love how when a reporter asked him a question he said, "why don't you ask Johnny Mac? He knows everything."

• Love 2

Yes, Bouchard's outfit was ridiculous, the top was creeping up on her when she raised her arm.  I also agree that Roger's outfit design is dreadful, I can't believe he doesn't send Nike back to the drawing board when they ask him to wear stuff like that.

It's been so great seeing him play again, I won't be able to stay up to see him play Berdych but wishing Roger luck.

I can't believe he doesn't send Nike back to the drawing board when they ask him to wear stuff like that.

(Hi, roseha! - waves)

Is there any chance Nike didn't give him preferential treatment this time because his ranking is down?  It's hard to believe, but the thought did cross my mind.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Harry24 said:

(Hi, roseha! - waves)

Is there any chance Nike didn't give him preferential treatment this time because his ranking is down?  It's hard to believe, but the thought did cross my mind.

I highly doubt that. Roger's ranking is down because he was injured and missed the last half of the year. Ranking or not, he is still one of the most famous athletes (not just tennis) in the world and is still the most decorated male tennis player of all time. Whatever Roger's wearing, I think he chose to wear that, imo. 

• Love 2

That was a great win for Rafa. His confidence needed a win in one of those tight matches and I like that he sort of acknowledged that at the end of the match. Zverev was definitely not at his best for the last three games, when his legs seemed to go dead a bit but he kept fighting, so good for him. But I'm liking what I'm seeing from Rafa so far. The serve is definitely a lot better.

• Love 3

I am cautiously optimistic for his next round based on his head to head record against Monfils. Although I thought Monfils looked really good today against Kholschreiber. But if Rafa continues to serve as well as he's been doing, he should get through. Djokovic out definitely opens up that section of the draw considerably but Raonic is looming and he's looked strong coming into the Open and of course Rafa lost to him a few weeks ago. 

On 1/20/2017 at 3:03 AM, Harry24 said:

(Hi, roseha! - waves)

Hi Harry!  (waves back!)

I just caught up with seeing Roger's match against Berdych, what an absolute delight!  I am just amazed.  Is it possible that taking an extended break has worked in his favor physically and mentally, if not ranking wise?  His performance was just extraordinary.  I would just love it if he could hang around even 2 or 3 more years at this level.

I'm  not sure though that the crummy outfit has anything to do with his ranking, I don't see any other player wearing that monstrosity so it appears Nike has some employees who flunked design school...

Edited by roseha

Kerber and Murray lose on the same day—both top seeds gone! Will the British papers go back to dubbing Sir Andy a Scot for a while, rather than claiming him as British? :) The Aussie Open seems to be Murray's white whale, as the French was with Djokovic for so long.

I think Mischa Zverev was inspired not only by Istomin taking out Djokovic, as the announcers repeatedly mentioned, but his little brother's efforts against Nadal the day before. McEnroe's pronunciation of "Zverev" was driving me a little nuts.

• Love 3

Not surprised about Kerber's loss. She's looked shaky from the start in my opinion. That said, Vandeweghe did herself no favors with that reaction after she won. I'm already seeing all the comments online that great for her but her snotty and arrogant reaction makes them hope she loses in the next round. Honestly, I rolled my eyes as well. Yes, she played amazing and absolutely deserved her win but sweetie, maybe start doing that on a consistent basis and making some real noise at Majors before acting all, "well of course I won."

As much as I was not surprised by Kerber's loss, is how surprised I was by Andy's. I mean I continue to be as indifferent as ever towards him but I was certain he'd at least make the Final 4 where someone like Stan might have beaten him. I have to agree with the commentary on the Aus Open site that this was a huge lost opportunity for Murray. Djokovic, the bane of his existence at the Aus Open final was out in the 2nd Round. This was time to truly step up and solidify that #1 ranking. But alas, not to be. 

Personally, I think it would be hilarious and all kinds of awesome if Rafa and Federer somehow end up being the Final 2 because who would have seen that coming, especially considering the last two years. That said, with Rafa, I'm just focusing on a match at a time. I don't want to underestimate Monfils at all because he's the kind of player you can't because he's so unpredictable. He may show up tonight and be the Monfils who looks like he's on another planet and Rafa just steamrolls through the match. Or he may show up and play like the Top 10 player he is and then it's a battle. 

• Love 4

I didn't see Murray's entire match, but wow, what a blown opportunity. With Murray and Djoker out, this is probably going to be Federer's best chance to win a final Major. 

Regarding the Kerber/Vandewhege match, what did CoCo do afterwards that pissed everyone off? I didn't watch much tennis last night.

• Love 1

I didn't see anything of Kerber/Vandeghwe or after but I am amused because when Vandeghwe beat Bouchard, I was taken aback at her reaction to the victory and gave it a little side-eye because it bordered on disrespectful, IMO.  Maybe she's just like that, I have to admit I don't know much about her and also wonder if she is related to Kiki, because how could she not be?

She's Kiki's niece.  At the end of the match she just kind of shrugged her shoulders and spread her arms as if to say "No biggie!"  

2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Personally, I think it would be hilarious and all kinds of awesome if Rafa and Federer somehow end up being the Final 2 because who would have seen that coming, especially considering the last two years. T

Yeah, as much as I'm rooting for Monfils, I think it would be a hoot for two "old timers" to be in the final.

• Love 1

The thing is, her reaction read less like "no biggie" to most people and more, "well of course". And I am willing to give people the benefit of the doubt and admit that she may not have meant it that way but unfortunately that's how a lot of people read it and they were not impressed. 

Yeah, I could have said "well of course" too, because to me they're basically saying the same thing.  I don't know how others interpreted it though.  I could understand her not jumping up and down, or not falling to the ground like she fell out of a wheelchair like some players *coughRogercough* but she just seemed so nonchalant about her victory and I think that's what turned some people off.

6 hours ago, mojoween said:

I didn't see anything of Kerber/Vandeghwe or after but I am amused because when Vandeghwe beat Bouchard, I was taken aback at her reaction to the victory and gave it a little side-eye because it bordered on disrespectful, IMO.  Maybe she's just like that, I have to admit I don't know much about her and also wonder if she is related to Kiki, because how could she not be?

I haven't seen any footage from Angie v. CoCo yet, but I've watched a fair amount of her playing singles (and doubles), and she just is like that (less so in doubles). That's totally not my type, but for some reason I am drawn to her at times.

g1BphC.gif

More my type--on and off the court--is Nicole Gibbs. I was sorry she had to go up against Serena, but as expected, she handled it well. https://twitter.com/Gibbsyyyy/status/822726167354408960

• Love 1

Feeling lost here and really hoping y'all can help me out. WTF is BG referring to with his idiotic "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia Brady" bit?

Also, because I can't believe it hasn't been said yet, STFU, Brad!!

• Love 1

Yay! Rafa and Fed both through to the second week! How awesome would it be to have them face each other in the final? I'm a Federer fan, but either one of them could win and I'd be happy.

Edited by Mrs. P.
  • Love 1

Feeling lost here and really hoping y'all can help me out. WTF is BG referring to with his idiotic "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia Brady" bit?

Brad, trying to make 'fetch' happen with his little plays on people's names. Was talking about Jennifer Brady, a US player that just lost to Lucic-Baroni in the round of 16.

Brad, you are not now, nor will you ever be, Chris Berman- knock it off!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mrs. P. said:

Yay! Rafa and Fed both through to the second week! How awesome would it be to have them face each other in the final? I'm a Federer fan, but either one of them could win and I'd be happy.

I loved Darren Cahill mentioning this and the anchor woman telling him after what they'd seen with Djokovic and Murray, doesn't he know it's not a good idea to think ahead. And Darren goes, "oh come on, admit it, we're all thinking it". I have seen a lot of comments online echoing the sentiment that it would be cool to see one more Final between them before they both call it a day.

But I'm just looking at one match with Rafa. Raonic will be tough and Rafa's tighetning like he did today, near the end of the match and allowing Monfils back into the match will not play well against Milos. He's going to have to unrelenting and aggressive from the first point to the last. If he can get through that match, I might allow myself to start thinking of the final because I think his style of play will be better against Grigor or Goffin. 

51 minutes ago, sacrebleu said:

Brad, trying to make 'fetch' happen with his little plays on people's names. Was talking about Jennifer Brady, a US player that just lost to Lucic-Baroni in the round of 16.

Brad, you are not now, nor will you ever be, Chris Berman- knock it off!

What an ass.

Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured. Clearly he either never watched the show, or has selective amnesia. I'm going to stick with he's just an ass.

Looking at the bright side of things, what an exciting tournament this has been!

• Love 1

Fantastic win by Venus, Goddess on a Mountain Top!  So thrilled for her.  She has worked hard this tournament.

I truly dislike Coco Vandeweghe.  Every time she opens her mouth, garbage comes out.  She is the epitome of arrogance.  When was the last time there was a female player on the tour that spits out this much arrogance and lack of grace?   I really hope she loses her match against Muguruza.  

• Love 4

There is some highly amusing talking going on between Stan and Jo-Wilfried in this match. Jo-Wilfried is accusing Stan of looking at him and vice versa.

Patrick Murt- ... ge- ... Serena's coach was asked to explain the background on the Stan-Jo ill-will, but between the crowd noise and PM's accent I couldn't understand what he was saying.  It had something to do with remarks Stan had made (about French players?) after he won his first major.  Anyone know about this?  

I was sad to see it because I like both of them so much, and I've always heard they are both very well-liked, nice guys.