Type keyword(s) to search

Michelle and JimBob aka J'Chelle and Boob

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

33 minutes ago, Missy Vixen said:

KJB is obsessed with the idea that other guys think he's "manly" because he's impregnated the hot cheerleader 21 times (and counting). J-Chelle doesn't have to do any work so more and more and more and more kids (and more and more and more and more attention) worked for her. Imagine the week or so post-Joshley Madison scandal in that house; they thought that God was "blessing them" for their Tee Vee "ministry".

There were some real winners in my former church, but the Duggars out-crazy them. It's an achievement.

Society should collectively ban rewarding this kind of behavior...with Tee Vee contracts and publicity  

Just like the International Gymnadtics Federation bans certain stunts for safety because they don't want people endangering themselves, they give an automatic score of zero if anyone even dares. 

Just because people can do something like pull a stunt having 19 kids doesn't mean others should attempt to emulate them.  Leaving 19 kids to fend for themselves with a clueless dad and a gravid, bloated termite queen for a mother and how is it possible to give everyone the love and attention and life skills to succeed raise far too many ethical questions to count.  We already see how well their flawed thinking has worked for them.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

This is going to sound harsh and is not a global statement.

Part of me wondered if Michelle miscarrying early in the pregnancy was not met with some relief. Between her own health issues while pregnant with Josie and Josie's rough start, I would think that the thought of another pregnancy would be scary.

I'm not disregarding the sorrow and grief of miscarriage, my sister miscarried twice so I felt and saw the pain.

It wasn't that early; it was 2nd trimester, around 18-19 weeks, IIRC. 

Remember, at first, they tried to claim it was a stillbirth, but the pregnancy didn't go 20 weeks. The pregnancy may have gone into week 18-19, but the fetus  only measured in the 16-17 week range. She did NOT make it to week 20 based on the due date they'd provided. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

So I'm watching 14 Children and Pregnant again, Part 1 of 5, on You tube, and they get to the part about the Buddy system where Michelle explains: "When the baby is born it's my buddy until it's weaned and then from there it goes to the other buddy whosoever turn it is to get a buddy".   Aside from calling her children 'it' I can't imagine passing off an infant to literally another child to take care of.  Say the baby is weaned at 6 months - off to a 10 year old to take care of.  Of course Michelle growing up was the youngest of her siblings and never had such childhood responsibilities and even in adulthood couldn't take it on, had to pass them on.   Talk about trying to make irresponsibility seem responsible.   

edited to correct spelling.

Edited by Defrauder
spelling correction.
  • Love 20
13 minutes ago, Defrauder said:

So I'm watching 14 Children and Pregnant again, Part 1 of 5, on You tube, and they get to the part about the Buddy system where Michelle explains: "When the baby is born it's my buddy until it's weaned and then from their it goes to the other buddy whosoever turn it is to get a buddy".   Aside from calling her children 'it' I can't imagine passing off an infant to literally another child to take care of.  Say the baby is weaned at 6 months - off to a 10 year old to take care of.  Of course Michelle growing up was the youngest of her siblings and never had such childhood responsibilities and even in adulthood couldn't take it on, had to pass them on.   Talk about trying to make irresponsibility seem responsible.   

Exactly.

And what I find even more disturbing is the fact that, apparently because she said (and did!) crap like this, Michelle became a heroine, a godly icon for some Christians and a frigging role model for, it appears, more than a few women. WTF?

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 16
14 minutes ago, Defrauder said:

So I'm watching 14 Children and Pregnant again, Part 1 of 5, on You tube, and they get to the part about the Buddy system where Michelle explains: "When the baby is born it's my buddy until it's weaned and then from their it goes to the other buddy whosoever turn it is to get a buddy".   Aside from calling her children 'it' I can't imagine passing off an infant to literally another child to take care of.  Say the baby is weaned at 6 months - off to a 10 year old to take care of.  Of course Michelle growing up was the youngest of her siblings and never had such childhood responsibilities and even in adulthood couldn't take it on, had to pass them on.   Talk about trying to make irresponsibility seem responsible.   

Isn't it jarring to go back and see how completely different they were back then? The kidbots are totally disturbing. The prairie dresses, the perfect order, the tiny house, Josh's ALERT haircut...*shudder*

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, Aja said:

Isn't it jarring to go back and see how completely different they were back then? The kidbots are totally disturbing. The prairie dresses, the perfect order, the tiny house, Josh's ALERT haircut...*shudder*

It all seemed very obsessive compulsive from the color coded chart detailing every child's moment of every day to who get's a shower when to the food pantry, perfectionism gone haywire.   The fabric of the entire system depended on the kids doing most of the work.  You see little 4 year olds taking care of 2 year olds and it's like every child was in the army.  

• Love 7
Just now, Defrauder said:

It all seemed very obsessive compulsive from the color coded chart detailing every child's moment of every day to who get's a shower when to the food pantry, perfectionism gone haywire.   The fabric of the entire system depended on the kids doing most of the work.  You see little 4 year olds taking care of 2 year olds and it's like every child was in the army.  

Yeah, that color coded chart was never seen nor heard from again, as far as I recall.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Exactly.

And what I find even more disturbing is the fact that, apparently because she said (and did!) crap like this, Michelle became a heroine, a godly icon for some Christians and a frigging role model for, it appears, more than a few women. WTF?

That struck me too, Mother of the Year just passing off her infants and children to her other children to take care of.   That's not a maternal instinct.  It served JB's needs and Michelle got to be his buddy while her kids took on their parent's responsibilities.   But looking at the philosophy as a whole, they need someone else to tell them how to be like they really are children themselves.  They seek authority figures, in men such as Gothard, because they really aren't ready to grow up or man up or woman up.

• Love 14
Just now, Defrauder said:

That struck me too, Mother of the Year just passing off her infants and children to her other children to take care of.   That's not a maternal instinct.  It served JB's needs and Michelle got to be his buddy while her kids took on their parent's responsibilities.   But looking at the philosophy as a whole, they need someone else to tell them how to be like they really are children themselves.  They seek authority figures, in men such as Gothard, because they really aren't ready to grow up or man up or woman up.

Well said.

• Love 3

I'm so freaking exhausted today I can't even take care of my 14 rose bushes.  But I planted them so I don't expect them to take care of each other.  I'll be able to look after them later or tomorrow.  They're OK for now.

• Love 12

The colored chart was from the Maxwells. 

I homeschool and have used a color chart like that.  I somehow feel my chart looks different than the Duggars!! I don't mico manage my family all day. 
however, at the moment, the Duggars appear to be in disarray. It's free range Duggars with what appears to be minimal structure.  Michelle might want to drag out her color post its and pull it together. I'm not really impressed with their "system" at the moment.

Michelle probably needs an intervention by Teri Maxwell!!!!!

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I homeschool and have used a color chart like that.  I somehow feel my chart looks different than the Duggars!! 

I can understand a need for organization, especially when homeschooling, the Duggar color chart was so extreme.  I forget if it was every 1/2 hour or hour of every kid's day being dictated.   Meanwhile, they were shoved into 2 bedrooms without enough beds for everyone, Josh was on the prowl and Michelle was losing it in the laundry room.

• Love 8

It was extreme.  I had forgotten how detailed her chart was. 

I just watched that episode too! I was looking for the "My girls watch my chart like a hawk" comment. 

You do have to manage homeschooling in half hour intervals or you will have chaos. But you don't need to manage EVERYTHING.  I actually saw Teri Maxwell back in 2003...she was the big champion of the color coded blocks and even Teri said that you need to stop scheduling at like 4pm and let the day unfold. 

You can see Michelle's inability to be moderate...she either manages every minor detail or she is in chaos, which we suspect, is going on now.  It explains why she is in such an extreme religion.  Michelle seems to function in extreme modes. 

Edit to add:

That extreme charting might've been Michelle's way of coping with a life that was spinning out of control. Micro mangaging when the kids eat a cracker probably felt good after what they went through with Josh, a lot of kids, no money, no space etc. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Defrauder said:

So I'm watching 14 Children and Pregnant again, Part 1 of 5, on You tube, and they get to the part about the Buddy system where Michelle explains: "When the baby is born it's my buddy until it's weaned and then from there it goes to the other buddy whosoever turn it is to get a buddy".   Aside from calling her children 'it' I can't imagine passing off an infant to literally another child to take care of.  Say the baby is weaned at 6 months - off to a 10 year old to take care of.  Of course Michelle growing up was the youngest of her siblings and never had such childhood responsibilities and even in adulthood couldn't take it on, had to pass them on.   Talk about trying to make irresponsibility seem responsible.   

edited to correct spelling.

It's not your "buddy," it's your child, Michelle. Barn cats have better mothering skills.

• Love 23

I get having a schedule for homeschooling - just like typical school there has to be some order. And maybe having an organizational chart to keep order in a big family. But they should be separate charts, because they are 2 totally different things. One chart would be kid specific and the other household specific.

Michelle lacks more instincts than just maternal.

• Love 5
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 4:08 AM, GeeGolly said:

This is going to sound harsh and is not a global statement.

Part of me wondered if Michelle miscarrying early in the pregnancy was not met with some relief. Between her own health issues while pregnant with Josie and Josie's rough start, I would think that the thought of another pregnancy would be scary.

I'm not disregarding the sorrow and grief of miscarriage, my sister miscarried twice so I felt and saw the pain.

Nope, baby would have been #twenty and would have completed JB's goal of a full quiver trophy case.

Edited by Almost 3000
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Marigold said:

I homeschool and have used a color chart like that.  I somehow feel my chart looks different than the Duggars!! I don't mico manage my family all day. 
however, at the moment, the Duggars appear to be in disarray. It's free range Duggars with what appears to be minimal structure.  Michelle might want to drag out her color post its and pull it together. I'm not really impressed with their "system" at the moment.

Michelle probably needs an intervention by Teri Maxwell!!!!!

Ha! I so agree that the Disarray Duggars seem to need help lately but I just can't give you a vote up because you mentioned, well, Teri Maxell and their families chore packs, charts etc...

Just kidding, have Pepsi. :^)

• Love 4
3 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

It's not your "buddy," it's your child, Michelle. Barn cats have better mothering skills.

Exactly, you hit the nail on the head.  She was giving birth to 'buddies'.  Is it too late to rename the show 'All My Buddies'?  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I assume the "buddy" elocution was employed to make the J-slaves feel less like oddballs and freaks being chained to the babies.  "See, Momma has a buddy TOO!"  I mean, I am crazy fond of babies, I don't think that means I need twenty in my household when I'm not their mother.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Marigold said:

You can see Michelle's inability to be moderate...she either manages every minor detail or she is in chaos, which we suspect, is going on now.  It explains why she is in such an extreme religion.  Michelle seems to function in extreme modes. 

that either/or tendency is just one way that Michelle has always reminded me of my son, my brother, and my mom.  Actually Michelle strongly reminds me of my mom (that's probably why i'm so obsessed with the Duggars.  :/ )  They all have autism and are either OCD about something or are completely unaware and let it fall into chaos.  Also the way her affect and expressions are sometimes so inappropriate to the context; the way she dresses - wearing the same outfit day after day juxtaposed with wacky choices like at Jill and Amy's weddings; her hairstyle that hasn't changed in 30 years, the way she doesn't seem to perceive her children as real people.  Obviously there's a lot more involved and many mental health conditions manifest similarly, but I live with one foot in Autism world and her lack of self-awareness, questionable theory of mind, poor judgment, avoidance of emotionally complex situations/relationships and difficulty 'reading' non-verbal cues and modulating her affect appropriately ring a lot of bells for me.  

And of course having a religion with such explicit guidance on behavior, dress ... everything.  Concrete step-by-step instructions are so reassuring for many people with ASD.  Its so stressful trying to read body language, understand abstract ideas and infer meaning especially when it seems so easy for everyone else.  Its such a relief sometimes to just be told what to do.  

Edited by Platypus
grammar and the point about religion
  • Love 15
16 hours ago, Almost 3000 said:

Nope, baby would have been #twenty and would have completed JB's goal of a full quiver trophy case.

Oh, I would have loved for Kelly Bates to have had 1 more kid, making 20 & shutting down Boob's quest. I still feel like the Bateses are ahead in the game - Kelly had 19 single births where MEchelle only had 17 with 2 sets of twins. 

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Kelly had more miscarriages.  Maybe it all balances out.

It does seem strange (or should, to the Fundie mind) that when people trust to God to decide how many children they will/should have miscarriages still occur. Is that God's way of changing his mind mid-stream? Or are they caused by sin such as, but not limited to, attempts at birth-control?

• Love 5

Following their reasoning, it would be logical to assume they think miscarriages can be attributed to some sin (by the mother, I have no doubt), but the Duggars absolutely refuse to entertain the notion that they are anything other than holy perfection, so I don't know how they explain Jubilee (Caleb was of course Michelle's fault for sinning with birth control pills.)

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Almost 3000 said:

Twenty would have never been enough. They would have been hinting around that they were going for 25.

These people do not possess the intelligence, resources, or common sense skills other adults have. Their "quiver" is not a litter of puppies. They're children, who require more than a once-a-month lunch out with their parents and some semblance of adult supervision.

• Love 10
19 hours ago, Missy Vixen said:

These people do not possess the intelligence, resources, or common sense skills other adults have. Their "quiver" is not a litter of puppies. They're children, who require more than a once-a-month lunch out with their parents and some semblance of adult supervision.

Hey now, they also get a delightful melted pile of sludge on their birthdays, don't forget.

• Love 5

I have been watching the series "Escaping Polygamy"  and I can't help but feel that Michelle is in this same mindset as these "sister wives."   She is passing this lifestyle onto her daughters.  No, JB does not have multiple wives; but, his control over their  children -  daughters and sons -  is exactly the same.  The girls are for breeding.  All kids are brainwashed into believing that they will go to hell if they deviate from what they're taught.  They can live in front of the cameras because they are the chosen ones to go to the kingdom and have all of the kingdom rights.

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, Tress said:

I have been watching the series "Escaping Polygamy"  and I can't help but feel that Michelle is in this same mindset as these "sister wives."   She is passing this lifestyle onto her daughters.  No, JB does not have multiple wives; but, his control over their  children -  daughters and sons -  is exactly the same.  The girls are for breeding.  All kids are brainwashed into believing that they will go to hell if they deviate from what they're taught.  They can live in front of the cameras because they are the chosen ones to go to the kingdom and have all of the kingdom rights.

Agree - I posted on another thread that from our perspective we would like them to get out, but from theirs, we are the scary ones.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Or, if your birth mother really can't be bothered, the holiday gift store. 

I almost forgot about the one Howler who got to pick out his gift at the hospital gift shop when they were visiting Josie.  I think he also got to eat his birthday lunch at the hospital cafeteria. Oh my.....

• Love 11
On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 2:59 PM, MargeGunderson said:

Michelle said JB was her buddy. These parentsare terrible. I don't even think the young ones have a relationship with their parents.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

I was wondering how is clown car going to explain Josiah gave away a piece of his heart or because he is one of the Duggars it does not count. 

Marge who? It never aired (on tv) so it never happened in their lives, silly!

• Love 5

That's a good point...according to them, courtship is dating with the purpose of getting engaged and married.  So ... technically you skip the first two levels of "traditional" dating (getting to know you and the inseparable puppy love stage) and head straight for pre-engagement.  So technically he DID give a piece of his heart away.  A big one.  If he and Marjorie were just dating (like regular teens), it wouldn't have been but a thang.  "So long, thanks for the ice cream and trip to the amusement park!"  But there is a lot more involved and a lot more heartbreak when you skip a few "normal" dating steps and head straight for serious mode.  

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, Defrauder said:

If Michelle keeps shrinking and her hair keeps growing she's going to step on it.

She's got to be barely five feet tall at this point. Jessa towers over her in pictures, and IIRC, Jessa's only 5'3". 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

She's got to be barely five feet tall at this point. Jessa towers over her in pictures, and IIRC, Jessa's only 5'3". 

Jessa, Jinger, Joy, and Jana are all around 5'3"-5'6". Jill is noticeably taller than, say Joy. I'd put Jessa and Jinger both around 5'5". In the early specials, Jana was 16 (so likely done growing) and listed as 5'4". When you look at her pic with JD, who is a little shorter than Smuggar at 6', it looks about right. 

Mechelle? I'm 5' if I lie. She wears Danskos, which gives her a 2" automatic lift, and she's still deficient, so yeah, she's down at my level now. I think she started around 5'3" as a teen. That one is in for a very rocky road when osteoperosis  seriously hits and she can't climb those stairs anymore. I don't think any amount of calcium supplements she's taken over the years will save her, and recent studies have shown they may actually hurt. Because I think we can all agree that she's probably been shoveling down calcium like the Last Supper every morning for the last 20+ years. 

• Love 1