Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Remember

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I noticed that boy keeping a hand on Enid. I couldn't tell if he was protective, or possessive.

See, several people have now mentioned this and I didn't notice it all. I'm going to have to go back and look for that on rewatch. But Enid did NOT strike me as the type of girl who would want people being touchy-feely with her, so that is interesting. 

• Love 4

See, several people have now mentioned this and I didn't notice it all. I'm going to have to go back and look for that on rewatch. But Enid did NOT strike me as the type of girl who would want people being touchy-feely with her, so that is interesting. 

I think he might have been showing his interest in Enid while making sure that Carl knows it and back off. Enid probably didn't do anything because she doesn't want to cause wave. 

I am of the opinion that Glenn should have decked Aidan as soon as he failed to hand over the promised baked goods. Even though "sweet ass biscuits" sounds like it could be an odd treat, that was still a mean trick. Clearly Aidan is not well-suited for being in charge of anything as important as delivering muffin baskets to newcomers.

I dont care how sweet they are, if anyone ever offers me an "ass biscuit", I'm decking them.

• Love 4

I have two little nitpicks about this episode.

1)  Daryl shoots that possum before they enter ASZ.  It looks like he doesn't bother to but it until the next day.  Anyone who's a hunter knows that you gut your kill as soon as possible, as it's the guts that start to rot first (being filled with bacteria).  That possum should be smellier than a pig sty and bloated to boot.

2)  When Rick was showering/shaving, he had a consistent tan all over his body.  Now I doubt that he walked all that way from Atlanta shirtless.  He should have had a farmer's tan at best.  We saw his pale skin when he burnt the pig sty at the prison, so what gives?  And once that beard was gone, his face underneath should have been ghostly white, as it's not seen the light of day for months.

• Love 1

I think he might have been showing his interest in Enid while making sure that Carl knows it and back off. Enid probably didn't do anything because she doesn't want to cause wave. 

That's how I saw it too.  I didn't get any rapey vibes.  Hell Judith could probably take on those two boys.  You can tell they have probably been protected from everything since the start.

Ron was definitely putting on a show for Carl, and I think Enid most definitely does not see those boys as a threat so she was just like whatever.

• Love 1
(edited)
1)  Daryl shoots that possum before they enter ASZ.  It looks like he doesn't bother to but it until the next day.  Anyone who's a hunter knows that you gut your kill as soon as possible, as it's the guts that start to rot first (being filled with bacteria).  That possum should be smellier than a pig sty and bloated to boot.

I thought it was the same day?  They enter the gates, have their interviews and get assigned housing.  Isn't Daryl gutting the possum when Carol/Carl go to check out the second house?

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

I thought it was the same day?  They enter the gates, have their interviews and get assigned housing.  Isn't Daryl gutting the possum when Carol/Carl go to check out the second house?

I think it was the same day, and I'm glad he didn't gut it because him swinging it around while he paced during his audition was freakin' hilarious.

• Love 6

2)  When Rick was showering/shaving, he had a consistent tan all over his body.  Now I doubt that he walked all that way from Atlanta shirtless.  He should have had a farmer's tan at best.  We saw his pale skin when he burnt the pig sty at the prison, so what gives?  And once that beard was gone, his face underneath should have been ghostly white, as it's not seen the light of day for months.

When he was in the shower, his backside looked blindingly white. Otherwise, maybe the layer of dirt he's been carrying around acted as sunscreen.

• Love 2

I was thinking about Michonne this morning and that I am bothered by her being chosen (mandated) to be Rick's deputy - like her rightful place is assisting him.  Michonne isn't a cop and wasn't a cop.  Didn't Deanna say something about who you were mattering?  Michonne was a lawyer, IIRC, which is something far more cerebral.  But as I stewed on that it occured to me that perhaps the reason Michonne and Rick seemed like such a forgone conclusion to me is because since she arrived at CDB he is the only person she speaks to other than Carl.  They gave her a quick second with Daryl, which I enjoyed, but we don't see these characters bond and interact enough, IMO.  Is Rick her only adult friend in this group?  Why is that?  So now that they have cast girlfriends for Rick and Carl, what is Michonne going to do? I am not saying this as a criticism - I WANT to see Michonne as a person not defined by her relationship to the Grimes family.  I'd like to see her and Maggie or Carol or Rosita.  Or maybe helping Sasha through her grief.  And yes, I'd like to get a glimpse of her admitting that a manfriend wouldn't be a bad thing.  So far I love her taste in men - so maybe they'll cast a man, a la Aldous Hodge and not kill him immediately - or trade him for PP.

• Love 1

I was thinking about Michonne this morning and that I am bothered by her being chosen (mandated) to be Rick's deputy - like her rightful place is assisting him.  Michonne isn't a cop and wasn't a cop.  Didn't Deanna say something about who you were mattering?  Michonne was a lawyer, IIRC, which is something far more cerebral.  But as I stewed on that it occured to me that perhaps the reason Michonne and Rick seemed like such a forgone conclusion to me is because since she arrived at CDB he is the only person she speaks to other than Carl. 

I don't think it's about Rick as much as she is the only other person who has the authority and strength to step in and command respect. Carol may have, but she's playing the kind and meek role. 

From the little we've heard about her in the early days of the ZA, I assume she also took on a strong role (she was on a supply run when her son was killed).

• Love 2

I'm glad he didn't gut it because him swinging it around while he paced during his audition was freakin' hilarious.

One of those little moments of brilliance. I loved that it was probably dripping blood on the carpet too, but when Deanna told him to sit down on her lovely chair, I nearly shrieked, "Not in those filthy clothes!"

• Love 4

Not only that, but every other  subdivision in Florida comes with a man made lake.   I pass one every day with far more modest homes with the lake, playground,  and 9 foot concrete walls.    You would think a planned community with million dollar homes would be a walled fortress.

You'd be surprised how little a million dollars will get you inside the beltway.  New town homes in nicer areas like Arlington and Alexandria are almost at that price point.

Loved seeing Daryl pacing back and forth during his interview (swinging a dead possum no less!).  He really did look like a wild tiger that had just been caged. 

I think Carol oversold the Suzie home maker bit.  It was good but a bit much considering the weapon she was packing.

I think the Alexandria crew is on the up and up.  Number 1 reason is from a storytelling standpoint they can't be another bunch of assholes because it's been done several times before (Woodbury, Terminus, the hospital).  This time around let's have Rick's group be the problem. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I was thinking about Michonne this morning and that I am bothered by her being chosen (mandated) to be Rick's deputy - like her rightful place is assisting him. Michonne isn't a cop and wasn't a cop. Didn't Deanna say something about who you were mattering? Michonne was a lawyer, IIRC, which is something far more cerebral.

We didn't see it, but I'm assuming Deanna would have debriefed Aaron. I can see her choosing Michonne to be Rick's deputy based on what Aaron observed about the dynamics between Rick and Michonne and also Michonne and the rest of the group. Edited by Evie
  • Love 1
I think the Alexandria crew is on the up and up.  Number 1 reason is from a storytelling standpoint they can't be another bunch of assholes because it's been done several times before (Woodbury, Terminus, the hospital).  This time around let's have Rick's group be the problem.

Agreed. The writers aren't perfect, but I just really don't see them subjecting us to yet another big, bad group. The ASZhats may be hiding some things, and there may be some rotten apples (Aiden, Pete), but I don't think they're malicious as a whole. I think they're going to end up really needing CDB. 

• Love 4

I think Carol oversold the Suzie home maker bit.  It was good but a bit much considering the weapon she was packing.

I have to agree. Her "Oh, how do I get this silly thing off?" as she removed her weapon should have caused a few raised eyebrows.

• Love 2

I enjoyed the episode and the situation they are in, but I get the feeling that the writers are going to chicken out.

We've seen our group walk into lots of seemingly "good" situations over the years, only to find that its not what it seems, or there's something sinister under the surface. What would be interesting, and you can tell they are playing with the idea, is for this one actually to be what it seems, but for Rick and crew to be the ones to ruin paradise. I thought, especially after Rick's "we are the walking dead" speech in the barn, they might really go there. They have become feral and can't handle what really could be a return to civilization, making them the monsters in this one.

However, I think I saw enough signs that they are going to chicken out of this idea in the end and, while this new situation will certainly fall apart, they won't make our gang the aggressors. Or, if they are, they will give them justifiable reasons to do so.

• Love 4

I'm way behind (again), but here are the Nielsen ratings to date:

10-12-14 “No Sanctuary” 17.3 million
10-19-14 “Strangers” 15.143 million
10-26-14 “Four Walls and a Roof” 13.801 million
11-02-14 “Slabtown” 14.518 million
11-09-14 “Self Help” 13.534 million
11-16-14 “Consumed” 14.068 million
11-23-14 “Crossed” 13.329 million
11-30-14 “Coda” 14.807 million
02-08-15 “What Happened and What’s Going On” 15.643 million
02-15-15 “Them” 12.267 million
02-22-15 “The Distance” 13.438 million
03-01-15 “Remember” 14.430 million

• Love 4

One of those little moments of brilliance. I loved that it was probably dripping blood on the carpet too, but when Deanna told him to sit down on her lovely chair, I nearly shrieked, "Not in those filthy clothes!"

Yeah... I worried way too much about the chair, too.  

• Love 1
(edited)

How sad is that people in a ZA have better living quarters than me? 

I was feeling pretty good about my life until right now. Allow me to quote Maggie after Carl gave her that box "FML" My only solace is that they are living for free and have to eat dogs, other people, apple sauce and opossum to survive

ETA - The last decent folk they ran into were the Vatos and we all know how that turned out!

Edited by Boofish
  • Love 4

We didn't see it, but I'm assuming Deanna would have debriefed Aaron. I can see her choosing Michonne to be Rick's deputy based on what Aaron observed about the dynamics between Rick and Michonne and also Michonne and the rest of the group.

Oh I agree. I wasn't talking about Deanna choosing her to be his sidekick - it makes plenty of sense, I was talking about the show's writers making that choice.  I think that would have been a wonderful opportunity at the interview for Deeana to ask her what she did before - Samarai? Cop? WWF fighter? Warrior Princess?  Amazon?  To which Michonne answered "Civil Rights Attorney".  Would give her a whole new side other than being a badass, we'd see she is also a smart ass.  The writing opened the door for learning more about CDB - who you were before DOES matter.

• Love 1

The name gave me pause, too, but I decided not to read too much into it.  After all, I know a six year old named Gladys.  Just because most girls Enid's age are Kelsey or Caitlyn doesn't mean there aren't outliers.  

Could easily be a family name handed down through the generations.

I didn't get the rapey/abusive vibe with the boys and Enid.  I got the idea that she was there with them because they were the only game in town and she didn't have anywhere else to go.  The boy might have interest and designs on her and wanted to convey that to Carl, but I don't think Enid gives a damn WHAT that boy wants,  OR what he wants Carl to think.  I suspect she could take those boys out much the way Glenn took out Aiden... as if it doesn't even require much effort.

Exactly, and thank you. Not to be casting aspersions, and not to be saying it never happens - but some of the "They're two teenage boys and she's a teenage girl so of COURSE they're raping her on a daily basis" comments sent my WTF-O-Meter right off the scale. An issue might develop a few years down the road, when the testosterone has kicked in some more - but right now they're still figuring out how to work the buttons on video games, for god's sake. A girl would be totally beyond them. Plus, at this age, girls have all the power relationship-wise; boys are still pretty fuzzy on what the heck a "relationship" is. Not to say Thing 1 and Thing 2 might not be doing some serious weasel-whomping in the wee hours - but in the daylight, they're too scared of pissing off Enid to say anything forward, she knows it, and she's perfectly fine with that arrangement.

I get the impression Enid's attitude toward the two Things has been something along the lines of contemptuous tolerance due to her knowledge and their ignorance it what things are really like Out There. Her superior knowledge makes it easy for her to maintain a mindset of superiority, and view Thing 1 and Thing 2 as "just kids". In the current-until-now arrangement, she is the only alpha.

The entry of Carl into the formerly static arrangement, however, raises some new wrinkles. Carl is not another ignorant child; he probably has at least as much experience as Enid in surviving Outside, and possibly more. This casts Carl in the role as another alpha.. If they were a few years further down the puberty path, Enid would probably feel attracted to Carl due to shared experience beyond the comprehension of the others; in fact, I'd guess she already feels this attraction to a certain degree, but it's tempered by her suspicion of another alpha entering her previously well-managed "pack" environment.

If CDB stays in the ASZ long enough, Carl and Enid will probably end up bonding on at least an emotional level, if not physical. Before they settle down into THAT arrangement, though, some head-bumping will ensue.

I totally agree with this. Unlike most, I never thought that Lori was the prototype for the type of women Rick wants, so I never saw Rick as someone who wants a "little woman" type of partner and wouldn't go for someone more like Michonne or even Carol.

A point of correction/clarification, if I could: Lori was Rick's prototype for a desirable woman when he was a teenager - you know, YD&FOC. Which may or may not have anything at all to do with what a grownup Rick Grimes would find desirable/undesirable.

• Love 10

I have to agree. Her "Oh, how do I get this silly thing off?" as she removed her weapon should have caused a few raised eyebrows.

While I was watching her, I assumed that her problems were because she was still recovering from being hit by a car.  After the video interview, it was clear that it was part of her ploy.  There could have been legitimate, non eyebrow raising reasons why she was having trouble getting that huge gun off.

• Love 5

I thought I saw that he was pale underneath (admittedly, I was distracted by his butt in the shower scene, which was definitely pale) but it's possible to have a consistent tan even while wearing a shirt. Having played tennis in the Florida sun for a lot of years, I completely tanned through my shirts and ended up with perpetual sports bra tan lines but no overt shirt lines. Plus his shirt was probably very thin by that point. As for his face, it did seem a little too even for having just shaved but I'm guessing they wanted Andy to look as pretty as possible.

As I jumped in the shower this morning, I thought about when CDB got to the CDC in season 1 and how everyone was so psyched to shower and to have a good time - Daryl being no exception. I know CDB are all in a different place now mentally and emotionally (maybe especially Daryl) but it would ring false to me if Daryl completely refuses to take a shower or partake in any of the conveniences of ASZ for the rest of the season. I think he can still get his point across without being covered in 7 layers of dirt. 

I think Michonne as "constable" makes sense. Not only is she capable but having a female constable would balance the scales a bit. I agree with everyone who thinks Aaron filled Deanna in on the dynamic between Rick and Michonne. I really wish they had kept the scene with everyone going off to their jobs.

• Love 3

Could easily be a family name handed down through the generations.

Exactly, and thank you. Not to be casting aspersions, and not to be saying it never happens - but some of the "They're two teenage boys and she's a teenage girl so of COURSE they're raping her on a daily basis" comments sent my WTF-O-Meter right off the scale. An issue might develop a few years down the road, when the testosterone has kicked in some more - but right now they're still figuring out how to work the buttons on video games, for god's sake. A girl would be totally beyond them. Plus, at this age, girls have all the power relationship-wise; boys are still pretty fuzzy on what the heck a "relationship" is. Not to say Thing 1 and Thing 2 might not be doing some serious weasel-whomping in the wee hours - but in the daylight, they're too scared of pissing off Enid to say anything forward, she knows it, and she's perfectly fine with that arrangement.

I get the impression Enid's attitude toward the two Things has been something along the lines of contemptuous tolerance due to her knowledge and their ignorance it what things are really like Out There. Her superior knowledge makes it easy for her to maintain a mindset of superiority, and view Thing 1 and Thing 2 as "just kids". In the current-until-now arrangement, she is the only alpha.

The entry of Carl into the formerly static arrangement, however, raises some new wrinkles. Carl is not another ignorant child; he probably has at least as much experience as Enid in surviving Outside, and possibly more. This casts Carl in the role as another alpha.. If they were a few years further down the puberty path, Enid would probably feel attracted to Carl due to shared experience beyond the comprehension of the others; in fact, I'd guess she already feels this attraction to a certain degree, but it's tempered by her suspicion of another alpha entering her previously well-managed "pack" environment.

If CDB stays in the ASZ long enough, Carl and Enid will probably end up bonding on at least an emotional level, if not physical. Before they settle down into THAT arrangement, though, some head-bumping will ensue.

A point of correction/clarification, if I could: Lori was Rick's prototype for a desirable woman when he was a teenager - you know, YD&FOC. Which may or may not have anything at all to do with what a grownup Rick Grimes would find desirable/undesirable.

If you think about it Enid started living in ASZ around the time Rick and Co. took over the prison.  Carl has only been out of the prison what, a month?  Two?  The timeline always screws me because it seems like years and years to us and for them it's like weeks.

• Love 2

Wow. That was a lot of reading! Lots of things to think about. I loved this episode.

My love for Carol is growing by leaps and bounds. I don't know if it will turn out that this was pre-planned or not, but I couldn't figure out why she was having so much "trouble" removing the gun until I saw the interview and realized what she was up to. I don't know if Deanna is on to her or not. She may suspect there is more to Carol than she is being shown, but I doubt she has any clue how ruthless and determined Carol can be.

"We brought dinner."  I loved that - a flash of the 'old' Daryl.  :)  I'm not sure what I think is going on with him.  Some seem to be thinking that it is an 'act' to draw attention away from Rick.  Since they had no idea what they were walking into, I can't picture a scheme that elaborate.  I can easily see Daryl just not wanting to be there.  This would be exactly the type of community that would have acted as if Daryl didn't exist pre-ZA.  That would all make him extremely uncomfortable.  The prison and even the farm were more his 'element.'  This is outside of any experience of his at all.  After being an outsider for most of his life, he has found a family that loves and accepts him just as he is.  I can see him being concerned (perhaps not consciously) about how he will be accepted.  I loved a lot of the little touches - carrying that possum around, especially during his interview, his "you look ridiculous" comment to Carol, and especially the way he was pacing like a caged animal while Rick was keeping him from beating Aiden to a pulp.  But for the love of Mike, please take a shower, Daryl.  And can we get haircut lady back to give him a trim as well?  Pretty please? 

Glen - "we actually know what we're doing."  Go, Glenn.  I'm sure Aiden thought he could handle Glenn.  Not so much! 

Not sure what's up with Enid.  Are they really unaware that she's going in and out of the community like that?  I know they said they told the people to give them some space while they settled in, but I still expected to see a few more people walking around outside. 

Love cleaned-up Rick.  I'd forgotten what he looked like under all that facial hair.  I really hope they don't go there with Rick and Jessie.  That would be completely out of character for Rick, I think.  He was on the other end of that with Lori and Shane, and at least they had the excuse of thinking Rick was dead.  I simply cannot see Rick hooking up with a married woman whose husband was not only still alive but living a few doors down.  I would be really disappointed in Rick if he did that.  I could see her coming on to him maybe, but I want to see him turning her down.  I just can't picture Rick having an affair like that.

So several people mentioned the "easter egg" being the latin inscription on Rick's uniform patch.  I didn't see what it was, and I don't speak latin.  So what exactly did it say?

This being the show that it is, I agree that this cannot last, but I'm really curious to see what actually happens.  I am one who does not think these people are evil like the Governor, and the people in Terminus were evil, but I think there is more to them than meets the eye, and I can't wait to see how it plays out.  :)

Last, but not least - something I've been meaning to ask since the show started and that may have been covered before I found this board . . .  but, this is a contemporary setting, so why in the heck does no one refer to these creatures as zombies? Seriously.  They're walkers, biters, roamers . . . but not zombies.  This is a little thing but it bugs the crap out of me.  Who in this day and age doesn't know what a zombie is? 

• Love 2

If you think about it Enid started living in ASZ around the time Rick and Co. took over the prison.  Carl has only been out of the prison what, a month?  Two?  The timeline always screws me because it seems like years and years to us and for them it's like weeks.

Currently in the timeline, with this episode we are at Day 537 of the ZA.

The Prison fell on Day 504 - a couple of days over a month ago.

If Enid joined the ASZhats eight months ago, then she arrived on/around Day 300 - at which time CDB first began attempting entry into the Prison (beginning of Season 3).

• Love 3
(edited)

Not to say Thing 1 and Thing 2 might not be doing some serious weasel-whomping in the wee hours

I thought Carl was going to whomp his weasel right on the spot at seeing an actual, real girl close up.

Another thing I liked was the way Carl walked around the house, touching the countertops and turning on the faucet as though looking at priceless artifacts of an ancient civilization.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 4

When Thing 1 asked Carl "Wanna play a video game?" - did it strike anybody else that Carl had a short-but-strong spasm of emotional turmoil? For a second, I thought he might burst out into tears. I got a major impression Carl still has juvenile memories of the Good Old Days, when he could get still excited about the new FPS just released for the XBox; he's had to grow up so fast in the ZA, though, he no longer relates to the kid he used to be. He still has the memories, of course, but they're shrouded behind a veil of experience; remembering them is like watching a movie about another person. And - just for a second - he recognized that "other kid" as himself, and missed being him. For just a second.

• Love 5
So several people mentioned the "easter egg" being the latin inscription on Rick's uniform patch.  I didn't see what it was, and I don't speak latin.  So what exactly did it say?

I believe it was Latin for "We will rise again".

When Thing 1 asked Carl "Wanna play a video game?" - did it strike anybody else that Carl had a short-but-strong spasm of emotional turmoil? For a second, I thought he might burst out into tears. I got a major impression Carl still has juvenile memories of the Good Old Days, when he could get still excited about the new FPS just released for the XBox; he's had to grow up so fast in the ZA, though, he no longer relates to the kid he used to be. He still has the memories, of course, but they're shrouded behind a veil of experience; remembering them is like watching a movie about another person. And - just for a second - he recognized that "other kid" as himself, and missed being him. For just a second.

Oh yea, I definitely think he was torn. We saw him looking longingly at the TV and video games in the pudding house. I think he does still have those juvenile desires inside, but as more time passes (and more shit happens to them) he is coming to terms with just how different things are. How permanent this way of life is. I think he wanted to play video games, but was telling himself not to get sucked into that superficial kind of stuff, because he does not want to become complacent or weak. 

Last, but not least - something I've been meaning to ask since the show started and that may have been covered before I found this board . . .  but, this is a contemporary setting, so why in the heck does no one refer to these creatures as zombies? Seriously.  They're walkers, biters, roamers . . . but not zombies.  This is a little thing but it bugs the crap out of me.  Who in this day and age doesn't know what a zombie is?

I believe Robert Kirkland has stated that in TWD world zombie lore does not exist. To these characters, there never was a Night of the Living Dead or 28 Days Later. So they all just come up with their own names for these creatures. 

• Love 2

Last, but not least - something I've been meaning to ask since the show started and that may have been covered before I found this board . . . but, this is a contemporary setting, so why in the heck does no one refer to these creatures as zombies? Seriously. They're walkers, biters, roamers . . . but not zombies. This is a little thing but it bugs the crap out of me. Who in this day and age doesn't know what a zombie is?

In the timeline/universe in which they live, there is no zombie trope. There is no such thing, in stories or anywhere else.

• Love 4
(edited)

I believe it was Latin for "We will rise again".

Really? The Governor's words. Gettin' spooky around here.

ETA:

They're walkers, biters, roamers . . . but not zombies.  This is a little thing but it bugs the crap out of me.  Who in this day and age doesn't know what a zombie is?

Sarah Wayne Callies explained when asked that since everyone has seen a zillion zombie movies, knows exactly what they are and how to deal with them so they never use the word zombies.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 1

The common belief is that zombie fiction does not exist in this universe.  There was never a "Night of the Living Dead", "Dawn of the Dead" or "whatever time of the day Dead" movie in this reality.  I think Kirkman himself also confirmed this.

• Love 2
(edited)

They just happened to have at least one, if not more, police-type uniforms around? Who has been wearing them for the past year and a half?

Now I'm wondering where they came from. That's a very specific item. Did they have to pull them off of someone? (I'm willing to attribute all kinds of crazy shit to these ASZhats!)

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 3

Quickly, before my main point;  Am I the only one struggling with the actual belief that that is her real name?  Apologies to those this might apply to or might offend, but somehow I think the popularity of using the name Enid for a girl died out quite some time before she popped out her mom's birth canal.

According to http://www.ourbabynamer.com/Enid-name-popularity.html, Enid has never been popular in the last 125 years, never once cracking the Top 400. It's just less popular now than it was back in the day.

As to whether or not "Enid" is her real name, who knows?

Even now some people still name their children Enid.  As Nashville suggested, it could be a family name, handed down.

Perhaps one of the show's writers has a friend or relative named Enid.  Or perhaps they wanted a name that was incredibly memorable given its rarity.

Or, as you suggest, Enid is her nom de Z, though, if so, I'd be curious how she selected it.  Perhaps it's not a coincidence that Enid is Dine spelled backwards, and it's Enid's way of signalling that no walker is going to dine on her (just as in Happy Days when

Joanie named Potsie Dren because he was the opposite of a nerd

).

Let's face it, who's more likely to be prepared for keeping their kids alive in the Zombie Apocalypse, little Ashley's yuppy parents who practice aromatherapy, or the ones who homeschooled Keziah so they could teach her about the coming End Times while stocking their bomb shelter?

Don't be fooled.

Ashley's parents would gut you like a fish to get their little darling into their preferred pre-K.

Now, with the ZA, they don't even need to pretend to be civil.

• Love 7
(edited)

Why did Carl bother to wash himself if he was just going to put that nasty-ass hat back on his head? Or did that get laundered too? *fervently wishes that it gets consigned to the ninth circle of Hell with all the unmatched socks in the world*

And while I'm on the topic of Carl, why couldn't Rick have forced him to get a haircut too?

Yup. I ask the hard-hitting questions. ;)

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 3
(edited)

. Not to be casting aspersions, and not to be saying it never happens - but some of the "They're two teenage boys and she's a teenage girl so of COURSE they're raping her on a daily basis" comments sent my WTF-O-Meter right off the scale. An issue might develop a few years down the road, when the testosterone has kicked in some more - but right now they're still figuring out how to work the buttons on video games, for god's sake. A girl would be totally beyond them. Plus, at this age, girls have all the power relationship-wise; boys are still pretty fuzzy on what the heck a "relationship"

I don't think of course they're raping her on a daily basis.

But...all your stuff about teenage boys and girls is for this world. Not the ZA world.

At this age boys in our world are figuring the buttons on video games...but for a long time before this age Carl has known how to kill. How to use many different weapons in a human's skull for best effect. How to clear a home and scavenge. etc. And Carl was almost raped himself.

Relationships probably are not the only way young girls in the ZA are being contacted by young boys or any age man.

I don't think "relationship" describes what is happening to most females in the ZA, and most males of any age can be fuzzy about what the word means because most of them aren't thinking of that and don't give a shit.

In the ZA  girls or women of any age do not have all the power; in relationships, where to be, when they can leave, etc

Just because it's Alexandria means little to me; when Rick talked about killing people the Congresswoman was very blase about sending people out into the shit and it being equivalent to death. They may be clean and well-dressed and fed, that doesn't mean they are moral.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 5
(edited)

The common belief is that zombie fiction does not exist in this universe.  There was never a "Night of the Living Dead", "Dawn of the Dead" or "whatever time of the day Dead" movie in this reality.  I think Kirkman himself also confirmed this.

Seriously?  I would love to know what the thinking was for that.  Zombies are such a big part of our culture - all the "Left for Dead" video games, the "Shaun of the Dead" parodies, the bad SyFy movie clones.  Aren't zombies also part of the voodoo culture?  I can't imagine why they would feel the need to pretend none of that exists.

Edited by LadyMustang65

I enjoyed the episode and the situation they are in, but I get the feeling that the writers are going to chicken out.

We've seen our group walk into lots of seemingly "good" situations over the years, only to find that its not what it seems, or there's something sinister under the surface. What would be interesting, and you can tell they are playing with the idea, is for this one actually to be what it seems, but for Rick and crew to be the ones to ruin paradise. I thought, especially after Rick's "we are the walking dead" speech in the barn, they might really go there. They have become feral and can't handle what really could be a return to civilization, making them the monsters in this one.

However, I think I saw enough signs that they are going to chicken out of this idea in the end and, while this new situation will certainly fall apart, they won't make our gang the aggressors. Or, if they are, they will give them justifiable reasons to do so.

I hope the writers have the guts to follow through on Rick's declaration of taking over the place if need be.  I believe it can be done in a way that doesn't make our group look like monsters but still not have them be the "good guys" in this scenario.  I believe the sparks of it will start with incompetence from the Alexandria people.  Have you ever watched someone fumble with something and it takes them too long or they wind up doing it dangerously incorrect to the point where you decide it's best to ask them to step aside and let you take care of it. 

Also, it would be interesting if Rick's crew comes dangerously close to becoming like Joe and the claimers.  You know having a code of ethics among them but everyone else is fair game.  

• Love 3

Really? The Governor's words.

It reminded me of Terminus...when Mary said but we took it back, and we heard the message or all those things written on the walls we first always etc.

Seriously?  I would love to know what the thinking was for that.  Zombies are such a big part of our culture - all the "Left for Dead" video games, the "Shaun of the Dead" parodies, the bad SyFy movie clones.  Aren't zombies also part of the voodoo culture?  I can't imagine why they would feel the need to pretend none of that exists.

I don't know.  I'd guess if the characters were genre savvy then it might feel like they were breaking the 4th wall.  I can see a guy like Glenn saying "Didn't you see the Dawn of the Dead remake?  You never want to go to a mall". 

• Love 4

I don't know.  I'd guess if the characters were genre savvy then it might feel like they were breaking the 4th wall.  I can see a guy like Glenn saying "Didn't you see the Dawn of the Dead remake?  You never want to go to a mall". 

Good point.  Could make it too "campy."

• Love 1
I personally prefer "Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc".

It translates to, "We gladly feast upon those who would subdue us."

Unfortunately Terminus already took that one. 

Agree. I think it would have the potential to get too cheesy. I actually really like that zombies are not part of their collective understanding. That this was all new to them, and they had to figure out as they went how to deal with the situation.

• Love 3