Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Remember

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I think we get the gist of PTSD references and I think it's ok to use. It may not be clinically correct but then, zombies aren't real either.

I wasn't trying to correct anyone's definition of PTSD, which I'm not really qualified to do anyway.  I was trying to address the suggestion that the show could realistically depict characters reacting to threats that weren't truly threats, that were innocent or benign situations objectively speaking but the character perceived the situation through the prism of previous dangerous or traumatic situations.    The show has done way too good a job of depicting possibly good situations turning out to be very horrible situations.   If the main characters have truly moved into a situation where they can be safe and start processing what's happened so far, it will become a very different sort of show.  And we've already seen from just tonight's episode that it wouldn't be wise to let one's guard down, this community has weird and unpredictable people in it too.

• Love 4

It is going to take a long time getting use to Rick again, without the beard.  It really makes Andrew Lincoln look so much younger.  But, I"m sure it's a relief not have that thing weighing down his face.  Already is catching the eye of new blonde woman.  Who... has a husband, that seems kind of sinister.  Yeah, this going to end well.

Christ, Daryl.  I get not fully accepting everything at face value, but the least you could do for everyone else is take a shower.  If you are going to hang out on the porch and be a big emo, don't let your stink ruin it for everyone.  Speaking of showers, I'm assuming still feeling the pain of Beth's death is the only reason why Glenn and Maggie weren't always "off" somewhere.  Because, I would think getting cleaned up, would make most couples not want to take their hands off of each other.

So, "Alexandra" seems like a safe place for now, but there are signs that some things are up.  The Congresswoman puts on a nice act, but I have a feeling she is very manipulative, and if things don't go her way, her act could change on a dime.  Going to keep an eye on her.  Meanwhile, Aidan's just a jackass.  I'm glad Glenn/Tara/Noah didn't put up with that shit, and called him out on it.  And then when he tried to swing his dick around, Glenn totally had his number.  Loved that he didn't even throw the first punch: just needled Aidan, and got him riled up.  Then, he took care of him.  I love this Glenn.

Interesting seeing how much different Carl is now.  Video games just aren't going to cut if for a kid who had to kill walkers to survive. Speaking of which, it's always nice for him and dad to get some quality walker-killing time!

Love Carol playing the "den mother" act.  Carol is all about having people underestimate her.  Hey, it worked before, so might as well keep at it.  But, the Congresswoman does seem pretty intelligent, so this should be interesting.

Wished we got more of the camera interviews.  Glad they got the important characters for this episode, but I was kind of curious to see how Maggie, Sasha, and even the Abraham/Eugene/Rosita trio were feeling.

• Love 8

Aiden had ROTC training? Well, Glenn made shanks out of walker bones and escaped Atlanta by means of a guts poncho.

Right?  My first thought in that scene was, this dude killed a zombie while duct taped to a chair.  Not to mention surviving a tank battle, and cannibals.

• Love 17

I wasn't trying to correct anyone's definition of PTSD, which I'm not really qualified to do anyway.  I was trying to address the suggestion that the show could realistically depict characters reacting to threats that weren't truly threats, that were innocent or benign situations objectively speaking but the character perceived the situation through the prism of previous dangerous or traumatic situations.    The show has done way too good a job of depicting possibly good situations turning out to be very horrible situations.   If the main characters have truly moved into a situation where they can be safe and start processing what's happened so far, it will become a very different sort of show.  And we've already seen from just tonight's episode that it wouldn't be wise to let one's guard down, this community has weird and unpredictable people in it too.

That's cool. I wasn't offended or anything. I HAVE been corrected before on prior episode threads for using this term. I get your point of view and do agree with that. I also don't mean any disrespect to soldiers or anyone who suffer from it. I don't want to watch a show about PTSD either, lol. I don't even want this to be a good situation. I can't wait till the Congressperson shows her true colors. I wonder if she knows what her sons are up to, probably because she's given them free reign, and is concerned about it. That said, I don't like the necessary traveling parts when they're looking for a new home. Major anxiety for me, lol.

• Love 1

Maybe the possum is just playing possum.

Eventually Daryl will be chained up unconscious in the Obligatory Big Damned Room of Evil, and Mr. Mangy will suddenly "wake up" and fetch Carol.

Along with Eugene and a fire hose to wake up Daryl.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Being on the outside gave Daryl value and purpose. He knew how to track, to hunt, to shots it a bow, and was obviously as badass as they come. When Merle was left behind...and then killed....he found his purpose by protecting and serving the group...especially at the prison. Although the group does respect him, I don't think he has enough social confidence in himself to believe they will want him if he doesn't serve a valuable service anymore -- and this is questionable in a seemingly safe community.

Well, I'm a big Daryl fan, but I'm feeling a little impatient with his whole "I yam what I yam" thing.

They've ALL had to adapt like crazy to the new normal.  Adapt or die.  And great, Daryl's aces at the skills everyone has needed most.  But glaring at everyone through those greasy bangs, refusing to bathe and slobbering possum guts in the one place everyone will have to step over? 

I can see that he'd be in all kinds of turmoil about losing this family unit and being relegated to yardwork or whatever.  But FFS, Daryl--your worldview has to have enough wiggle room for a shower, a toothbrush and a squirt of Neosporin.

• Love 13
(edited)

Speaking of showers, I'm assuming still feeling the pain of Beth's death is the only reason why Glenn and Maggie weren't always "off" somewhere.  Because, I would think getting cleaned up, would make most couples not want to take their hands off of each other.

As always the lack of sex on this show perplexes me. At least, they should heavily hint that Maggie/Glenn and Abraham/Rosita are off having sex marathons now that they have had showers and the opportunity for some privacy. All the sex on the show left with Darabont. Gimple must have no real comprehension of human sexual desires.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 13

As always the lack of sex on this show perplexes me. At least, they should heavily hint that Maggie/Glenn and Abraham/Rosita are off having sex marathons now that they have had showers and the opportunity for some privacy. All the sex on the show left with Darabont. Gimple must have no real comprehension of human sexual desires.

That and why go with sexual relations between relationships that are safe, full of fidelity, and real; when we can maybe start and show a bad triangle with Rick/Jessie/& her hubby.

• Love 2

Well, I'm a big Daryl fan, but I'm feeling a little impatient with his whole "I yam what I yam" thing.

They've ALL had to adapt like crazy to the new normal.  Adapt or die.  And great, Daryl's aces at the skills everyone has needed most.  But glaring at everyone through those greasy bangs, refusing to bathe and slobbering possum guts in the one place everyone will have to step over? 

I can see that he'd be in all kinds of turmoil about losing this family unit and being relegated to yardwork or whatever.  But FFS, Daryl--your worldview has to have enough wiggle room for a shower, a toothbrush and a squirt of Neosporin.

I thought maybe it was part of the strategy.  Daryl being Daryl while everyone else "appears" to adapt to the new surroundings draw attention away from whatever the rest of CDB is doing.   Daryl can be what he really is, the uncouth redneck, the one who seems most dangerous or unchangeable when in reality it's one or more of the others who poses the bigger threat to the new people.

• Love 8

I thought maybe it was part of the strategy.  Daryl being Daryl while everyone else "appears" to adapt to the new surroundings draw attention away from whatever the rest of CDB is doing.   Daryl can be what he really is, the uncouth redneck, the one who seems most dangerous or unchangeable when in reality it's one or more of the others who poses the bigger threat to the new people.

I wish. But is he really so prescient that he started emo-ing up months before they ever saw the place?

• Love 3
(edited)

So even though I'm usually pretty wrong with this kind of stuff, here's my guesses/specs on the "what!?" moments from Remember;

-  Girl Carl seen in the window, outside the gate before entering for the first time?  Enid (or someone [relative] who looked a lot like her)

-  Noise upstairs that Carl investigated and found the 'hangout' room?  Enid again.  Significance in the comic book Carl picked up being hers.

-  Missing gun that Rick stashed in the blender?  Enid's on a roll!  That's where she was going when Carl lost her in the woods, or had already been there - maybe shortly after Rick left it

-  I want to think Enid is a "plant".  She's working with someone else.  Maybe she's an 'Unfair Wolf'?

-  I think the 'exiles' are going to be a major plot point this season, yet.  I could (predictably) see them luring a bunch of walkers to the gate - late one night/real early morning - and throwing the gate open.

-  'Alexandria'/Congresswoman Deanna aren't what they appear to be.  This is pretty much a given, but its just a question of just what is going to happen.

And last, but not least, can't help but wonder if Jessie is part of a/the longcon or not - or is her 'interest' in Rick real on her part.  Hubby doesn't seem to be aware of any con, if his passive/aggressive possessive behavior was anything to go by.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 2
(edited)

I don't like how they run into groups that are hyper-competent and then incompetent.  Mapping a 53 mile radius semi-circle is a lot of ground to cover, and those two Alexandrians who tracked Rick's group for weeks is no small accomplishment.  Plus, they have had to make frequent runs to provide food for all in that community, including elderly members they have not left to die.  Yet, when they arrive we find Laurel and Hardy out making runs.  They better explain that inconsistency at some point.

Edited by econ07
  • Love 20

I wish. But is he really so prescient that he started emo-ing up months before they ever saw the place?

Yeah, I don't know about that, i always thought he was a character who struggled with his emotions and figuring out how he felt and how to react to situations so I haven't really seen that much unusual change in him in that area.  It all seems part of a natural kind of process with that personality type to me.  I meant how he's acting, not getting cleaned up, being kind of hostile and awkward, he so clearly doesn't "fit In" doesn't seem to want to "fit in" I would imagine he's the one the new group is most focused on, the one most talked about.  Well that and Abraham's red hair. 

• Love 3

Rick got rid of his beard, now Glenn needs to shave the wisps on his face.  I can't call it a mustache, it's too weird.  I hope Jessie isn't a new Rick love interests.  I love the chemistry between him and Michonne.

I want to see Daryl being assigned to chef job duties.  If he can make an edible possum, he's got to have some potential. 

• Love 3

I totally love Carol but I have to agree with Daryl's parting comment to her after she left to start her "job".  She did look kinda ridiculous.  Not that I want to see her wearing the usual dirty grunge rags, but that look just doesn't really work for her.

• Love 8

I really hope Alexandria isn't shifty, or at least, not THAT shifty. I think the idea of our gang, after being in full time survival mode for so long, and doing things and seeing things that are unimaginable, and losing so much, is going to attempt to re-join a version of polite society. Daryl is clearly having the most trouble, but it seems like it will be an issue with everyone. They finally found that safe haven they have been looking for all this time. So...now what?

Glenn is awesome. He handled dick head guy like a pro. And wow. I kind of forgot what Rick looked like clean shaven. He looks so much younger!

I`ll have more later, but I think this could be interesting, if handled well.  

• Love 5

I thought Daryl doing the things he did and not caving (yet-dear God, have him cave on the shower) was just his big FU to the shiny, new community. Maybe, quietly communicating his refusal to buy what they were selling.

• Love 4

Am I just too obtuse to get whatever I missed, or was cleaning Rick up and especially showing him shirtless just fanservice to the ladies and guys who wanted to see it?  Just seemed like they couldn't hammer it home enough just how much it changed him; what with the attention & comments from Jessie, Michonne, & CWD.

One thing I thought a bit weird was the obvious quick passage of time shown, since it seemed like 30 seconds after shaving, Rick was pretty noticeably stubbly again.

• Love 6

I totally love Carol but I have to agree with Daryl's parting comment to her after she left to start her "job".  She did look kinda ridiculous.  Not that I want to see her wearing the usual dirty grunge rags, but that look just doesn't really work for her.

Every bit of criticism either one of them gives the other one in that scene is true.

And neither one seems at all hurt by it.

That's saying something. Especially if he takes the damned shower.

• Love 14

Rick does look much younger without the beard and I am so glad to see it go, but I agree he looks best with a scruff of a beard, and I hate the new cop uniform. Especially the tie. Is Michonne supposed to dress like that too? Good lord.

I am not sure yet what to make of Deanna. I kind of hope she's like President Laura Roslin from BSG, and that maybe the Alexandrians are good people who have been incredibly lucky, and that she realizes that and took in the gang to try to fix that. Maybe Enid shared enough during her video to clue Deanna in at how dangerous the living are so she took a chance on Rick and the gang to strengthen the community for when their luck inevitably runs out. They have better walls than the prison but a herd the size of the one that Abraham et al ran into when Eugene revealed himself would probably take it down. Plus it's easy to climb the walls and certainly people armed with military equipment could take it down easily. It looks ripe for the picking even for a group like Joe and the claimers frankly. Unless there's a lot Deanna's not telling, they have been incredibly fortunate.

If they are what they seem, I think the biggest threats are a false sense of security and bullshit arguing amongst themselves. For example, why do they need a constable?

• Love 8

This could be an unpopular opinion, but am I the only one who doesn't like how carefree Rick & Carl are with Judith?  When R&C first walk into their new "home", where is she??  And letting unknown people hold her, even if are old and seem super nice?  Maybe they told Carl they had acorns for her.....

And what was with the completely deserted look of the area while Rick was trying to chase down the kids; not even any of the CDB group around anywhere?  Was it a clue tie-in to the end of last week and open of this one; they hear (sounds like quite a few) younger kids playing, but nothing when entering the gates?? 

• Love 8

This could be an unpopular opinion, but am I the only one who doesn't like how carefree Rick & Carl are with Judith?  When R&C first walk into their new "home", where is she??  And letting unknown people hold her, even if are old and seem super nice?  Maybe they told Carl they had acorns for her.....

And what was with the completely deserted look of the area while Rick was trying to chase down the kids; not even any of the CDB group around anywhere?  Was it a clue tie-in to the end of last week and open of this one; they hear (sounds like quite a few) younger kids playing, but nothing when entering the gates?? 

I had the same thought but I'm assuming to some extent it's necessary to have her missing from scenes where otherwise it would seem natural to have her because of the difficulties of filming with a baby.  Although I thought it made sense to keep her out of the house at first and with Carol or Michonne presumably while Rick and Carl checked it out.  They had a crib for her later and hopefully there's a stroller somewhere around as well.  

• Love 3

I had the same thought but I'm assuming to some extent it's necessary to have her missing from scenes where otherwise it would seem natural to have her because of the difficulties of filming with a baby.  Although I thought it made sense to keep her out of the house at first and with Carol or Michonne presumably while Rick and Carl checked it out.  They had a crib for her later and hopefully there's a stroller somewhere around as well.  

Good point.  Of course they would want to 'clear' the place before risking her safety.  Guess I was thinking the group had already cleared the place, and Rick & Carl were going through and checking out all the amenities.

They had to make sure it was babyproofed.

No miniature katanas near the wall socket, no small choking hazards mixed into the acorn pile, that kind of thing.

Ha!  Exactly although now that I think of it, it is kind of interesting how she never gets sick.  Baby must have a serious immune system going on.  Maybe the zombie whatever it is has killed all the other viruses and bacteria off so there's no more croup or any of the other stuff babies usually get.  No measles, no whooping cough, it's all gone, she's a super baby.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think we don't really know anything about this group yet, how the decisions get made, who plays what role. I have no idea what the writers have planned but I think possibly the Congresswoman is looking for allies because there are threats to her leadership. It seem inevitable, once you get past the early days of trying to figure out what you need to survive, getting the walls put up and so on.

I think that would be interesting, to see what happens in a community during the ZA that isn't just focused on the next 10 minutes of survival, who are trying to reestablish life somewhat as it was before the ZA. Is that even possible? Should it be? Is that what a ZA world should be all about, figuring out a way to allow kids to play video games?

I thought it was interesting that the Congresswoman told Rick that there had been a mass evacuation of northern Virginia so there weren't that many people there. This would explain why they are out scouting potential groups to join the community, new people coming in to the area from outside but it made me wonder, evacuated to where?

Hah! those were my speculations about Deanna. I do believe she most likely instructed Aaron who is probably an ally to look for certain types of people because she is aware of a coup that maybe coming, especially after the way she reacted to her son getting punched. He may be the one leading the coup.

I also do believe she reads others well and has a good grasp on our gang, but is playing along. Anyway she is definitely building support for herself and may want to even let go of her powers and needs trust worthy individuals to run the place.

I too was annoyed by Daryl not showering. Gosh his look jarring next to all the clean people. Plus his hair was shorter season 1 and he wore t-shirt and jeans why can't he just go back to that. Sheesh

I hope our gang will not turn into the next psycho gangs taking over.

Edited by Ilovetolurk
  • Love 3

Had a bedtime emergency during the first run, so I missed half of it. Decided not to post until the rewatch.

Nice job on Carol's Obfuscating Stupidity/Timidity. I hope to god she doesn't really miss Ed every day.

Interesting touch with all the empty picture frames in the entry of the house.

I said it once and I'll say it again, Rick with no beard and no shirt gets me all tingly on the inside.

Haircuts were never going away, Jessie? I don't think CDB agrees with you on that.

I had to shovel my driveway three times today, so the lack of heavy coats and snow is making me jealous.

Maggie sniffing the sheets in the background made me smile.

I know that Rick/Michonne probably won't happen, but damn do I want it to.

Michonne brought her katana to her interview. Daryl has the crossbow and the possum. Carl has the hat. Priceless.

I hope we get to see Carol hose Daryl down in bed. Not even for the fanservice reason. Just because it would be funny as hell.

Aiden had ROTC training? Well, Glenn made shanks out of walker bones and escaped Atlanta by means of a guts poncho.

What happened to the gun? Did Enid take it?

I love watching Rick and Carl kill walkers. Just because you're living in a zombie-infested wasteland doesn't mean you get to skimp on family bonding time.

Tree walker looks almost exactly like the one that got Dale.

Aiden, I think Father Gabriel and Eugene would do better on a run than you.

Good on Glenn for punching him and good on the rest of Camp Dinner Bell for backing him up.

I approve of Deanna for now.

This episode was interesting to me. I completely understand why some of the group are more suspicious and some are more hopeful. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

I kind of hope we get to see some more of Maggie, Abraham, Rosita, Sasha, Eugene, and Gabriel next week.

I agree with all the bolded so much.  There was a lot to love in this episode.  As far as the Walker/Dale thing 

It was mentioned on Talking Dead that it is the same actor. Damn, that dude is skinny!

• Love 1

Carol made this episode for me. I see that many of you caught our new Carol at first charade.  heh   For a second, I thought, why is she acting like that weapon is so heavy...why is she grinning ( although I LOVED her smiles )? Everyone else seemed to simply play their cards close to their vest during their interviews.  From the very first,  Carol acted like she might have actually had to act around her abusive husband.  Then I realized she wants to keep her skills private. But..wait...haven't they been following them for some time now?  Someone must have seen Carol in action. Or at the very least not all sweet and smiley. Again, I like her this way. For awhile. Then I wan't  BAM_ Carol back.

LIke said up thread, Deanne (sp) is probably on to Carol.  It's a testament to the show that even in this benign appearing community, we are on the constant look-out for one little tell - in keeping with Deanne's almost career.    I had thought that our group might turn out to be the "others" or the "them" here.  Maybe that's what Rick meant at the very end. Eh, they don't work out...this place is ours. Works for me.    

Where the hell has my humanity gone?

• Love 6

I'm going to say almost the same thing I said last week

There's only 4 more episodes in this season, when are they going to start the big story?

• Love 1

I think this episode did an excellent job in showing how this group can silently communicate with each other.  The look between Carol and Rick was she was doing her "aww shucks" routine with the weapons and then when Carl went to go check out the second house.  They just looked at each other, he nodded, and she went with Carl.  Also the one word "Sasha".  Carol is also drawing a map of the place.  I hope everyone else keyed in on the Carol "Den Mother" persona plan.  But I can see someone messing that all up in the future even though I doubt the congresswoman really buys it.  It would be stupid for this group to trust this community and vice versa.

When Carol was in that interview and she said she gardened I so wanted her to say "What do you think about flowers? Do you like looking at flowers?"

I'm all for Daryl taking a shower.  And cutting his hair.  Carl too for that matter.  I lament every appearance of the Hat.

Aiden and his friend.  You are so dumb.  You are really dumb.

• Love 13

Regarding Enid -- she could be in contact with a people outside and may bring them supplies (family or friend/boyfriend who was exiled?), but she could also be setting up her own escape/backup plan in case things go bad. If she was living outside the community until 8 months ago, then she probably knows how vulnerable they are, just like Carl. But there's no where else for her to go, as with our group.

Northern Virginia really is densely populated, so evacuating them makes sense from a story perspective to make Alexandria's survival remotely possible, but where in the world would all those people evacuate to, and how?

REgarding the unfair Wolves in Richmond, I don't think we know when Noah's neighborhood was attacked, nor which way the attackers were going, but if they have cars, Alexandria's not very far. Just depends how off the beaten path that community is.

Maybe Daryl's job can be scout/ perimeter security -- they seem to need it.

Regarding Michonne, I think she's very worried about the de-civilizing effect of all the recent horrors the group has experienced. To my recollection, our group has killed the living in self defense, but it has never preyed on other people. I'd say it has never turned on its own members but then there's Carol and Karen and David. Just occurred to me that not only was Carol playing Deanna, no one knows what really happened with Mika and Lizzie now that Tyrese is dead. No one quite knows the depths of Carol! Anyway, Michonne wants this to work not just for safety but for their decency and humanity. I can't blame her, and really, is life on the road any better or safer? No, so what else can they do right now? No one had a plan other than go to DC.

• Love 6
(edited)

I think this episode did an excellent job in showing how this group can silently communicate with each other.  The look between Carol and Rick was she was doing her "aww shucks" routine with the weapons and then when Carl went to go check out the second house.  They just looked at each other, he nodded, and she went with Carl.  Also the one word "Sasha".  Carol is also drawing a map of the place.  I hope everyone else keyed in on the Carol "Den Mother" persona plan.  But I can see someone messing that all up in the future even though I doubt the congresswoman really buys it.  It would be stupid for this group to trust this community and vice versa.

When Carol was in that interview and she said she gardened I so wanted her to say "What do you think about flowers? Do you like looking at flowers?"

I'm all for Daryl taking a shower.  And cutting his hair.  Carl too for that matter.  I lament every appearance of the Hat.

Aiden and his friend.  You are so dumb.  You are really dumb.

I liked that too, the silent communication and then the staying together at night.  I think the show is best when the focus is on outside scenarios, outside pressures and not tensions or friction within the group.  Like Glenn says, they survive together.  

I know Carol was putting on an act but I also think she didn't feel like she wanted to get into her history with this stranger who insisted on filming the interviews. Which I found really odd anyway, the filming part I mean.  I get that Deanna wants to study them later but I question the extent to which her ability to read people, presumably something she was really good at before the ZA, is still something she can do successfully with people like CDB who've gone through such bizarre and hideous experiences.  

From what she said, Deanna got to a place of relative safety fairly early in the ZA.  So while she's probably got some understanding of what's gone on outside the walls, I don't know that she can really be the best judge of character when it comes to dealing with those who've actually experienced the almost daily struggle to survive out there.  Which I think can make her a dangerous person, thinking she can still read people but not really understanding what the world is like now.

Edited by Dodginblue
  • Love 7

Since Deanna is unknown to me I have no idea if it is a good idea to be thinking Carol fooled her and that she's grateful for anything. If she really was a poker player, that would be the way to bluff.

Actually, I believe Carol might have had Deanna fooled - right up to Carol's "Junior League" remark.  Carol totally overplayed her hand with that remark - and if the Esteemed Congresswoman from the Great State of Ohio has any kind of real political savvy going, she had Carol pegged in a heartbeat.

Point of curiosity: Deanna has referred to her husband (he of the great architectural skills) in both the present and past tense - but we haven't seen him around.  Reckon he ended up Walker Chow?  Or did she maybe exile her own husband?

Maybe she can't keep her own son in line, and she needs someone else to come along and do it.

One possibility which struck me was this:  Deanna knows what her son is like and how he would act - specifically, Aiden would do something officious and/or stupid and create a conflict.  Giving her the opportunity to intercede, take the side of CDB in the conflict, and bank some trust with the new arrivals.

Speaking of Aiden - entitled clueless dilettante douchebag.  When he first mentioned ROTC, the thought which IMMEDIATELY popped up in my head was "Oh, god - he's Nedermeyer!!!"  Anybody else?  :)

I still am so confused as to why Daryl was absent during the scene where the group was giving up their weapons (where was he?), and how he had his crossbow later. They let him keep it? Really?

Considering they let everybody in CDB keep their knives as well, I'm assuming the Alexians only consider the term "weapons" to apply to firearms. More fools they.

I didn't understand why the girl left the community then came back? Is she trying to keep up her fighting skills too? Is she a spy for some other group?

Oh! I forgot about the girl leaving the camp. There was something weird on closed-captioning when Carl was following her. It said "Metal Clanging", which I didn't really notice, and she immediately changed directions and took off running. I was thinking it was maybe a signal, and I thought maybe she still had a group on the outside and she's smuggling out food to them. She had a really full backpack on.

The exiled people can not be Enid's family as it was explained she was a newcomer like Coral. She could be working for the exiles though.

When Enid was first introduced, the boy doing the introduction called her a "newcomer" like Carl - but then immediately qualified it, saying she had arrived eight months ago.  My suspicion is one or more of Enid's family and/or earlier on-the-road protectors were the exilees, and she keeps them supplied as best she can.

Maybe once they all stop sleeping together in the same room...?

• Love 10
(edited)

Actually, I believe Carol might have had Deanna fooled - right up to Carol's "Junior League" remark.  Carol totally overplayed her hand with that remark - and if the Esteemed Congresswoman from the Great State of Ohio has any kind of real political savvy going, she had Carol pegged in a heartbeat.

Maybe, but pegged as what exactly?  I guess now that I think about it, if Deanna is really good at people reading she's assuming that nobody's really telling her the truth or not all the truth and the skill lies in figuring out what their lying means about who they are.  Maybe she's looking for people who are smart enough to know that they shouldn't be honest with someone they've just met, that they should try to appear harmless or unsophisticated or whatever.  What she has to figure out is are they Gareth and his mom type deceivers or a Governor type, seemingly helpful and kind or whatever but actually psycho crazy, or are they doing it to protect themselves until they know who can be trusted.  Not that she would know who Gareth or the Governor are of course.

Edited by Dodginblue
  • Love 2

Am I just too obtuse to get whatever I missed, or was cleaning Rick up and especially showing him shirtless just fanservice to the ladies and guys who wanted to see it?  Just seemed like they couldn't hammer it home enough just how much it changed him; what with the attention & comments from Jessie, Michonne, & CWD.

One thing I thought a bit weird was the obvious quick passage of time shown, since it seemed like 30 seconds after shaving, Rick was pretty noticeably stubbly again.

I thought the same thing when I saw Rick through the shower door. 

Hormones are going to get Carl killed. Sheesh! At least he took his knife with him.

Loved Carol. She did look ridiculous, but so does Daryl. Are they trying to make him less likable, so that they can kill him off without angering a lot of fans?

I think Deanna gave her son a job that he thinks is important, and hands the real work to others. 

I didn't like Rick talking about taking over the place. I know they'll never be able to really let their guard down - this isn't Leave It To Beaver - but it would be nice if the place itself would quickly lose the douchebags.

• Love 4

Somewhere else I saw someone questioning the meaning behind Rick's "Good thing we're here" comment.  My take on it was, Rick sees the Alexians as more in need of CDB's help than they know, if they haven't learned the simple basics of perimeter security.  Don't leave even a single walker near your fence if s/he has sighted you, because it's going to come at you.  And snarl.  And its noise will draw more walkers, etc.

• Love 7
(edited)

I don't think Rick's "... we'll take it over" was meant to be an offensive move kind of statement.  It was just meant as more of a "we'll play their game, but the moment shit turns funny or they try to force us out when we don't want to/can't go, then we'll show them what the f's up".

I really hope Carl tells Rick that Enid can sneak in and out of Alexandria because frankly holding on to that info is incredibly dumb.

Especially in the fact that if she's not careful, she's leaving a trail for walkers to follow.  They might not be able to get in - without help - but makes opening the gates a real potential hazard.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 4

Two things that bugged me about this episode.  First, after Glenn/Noah/Tara & the two douches returned to the camp, the gate was left open.  Then Rick and Carl come in, the gate is still open.  Then Enid wanders in.  And the gate was still open.  Then it was finally closed.  If I'm living in the ZA, I'm closing the gate after I walk in, even if there's another dude on the outside waiting to open it for friendlies.  Hell, I do that with my front door so my pets don't get loose, and there's nary a zombie around my house...yet ;)

Second,  why did the CDB crew submit to questioning on film without asking many questions of their own?  Last week Michonne's Spidey sense went up with the presentation of pictures (crappy as they were) with no people.  As pointed out above, if Deanna has a video camera and Alexandria has enough power to have hot water and video games, someone could have powered up a phone, tablet, or other video camera with an actual video tour of the place.  The CDB gang aren't stupid, so someone should have asked more questions, like what is Aaron's position in the group, what happened to Deanna's husband, what was the nature of the offense that got the people kicked out of the collective.  I just don't feel like it's within character for Rick to offer that he's killed a bunch of people to protect his family without getting something from Deanna.  Daryl not questioning anything but sitting down for a session?  Seems wonky.  TBH, the videotaped sessions reminded me of videotaped therapy sessions on SVU.

• Love 9

I don't like how they run into groups that are hyper-competent and then incompetent. Mapping a 53 mile radius semi-circle is a lot of ground to cover, and those two Alexandrians who tracked Rick's group for weeks is no small accomplishment. Plus, they have had to make frequent runs to provide food for all in that community, including elderly members they have not left to die. Yet, when they arrive we find Laurel and Hardy out making runs. They better explain that inconsistency at some point.

I thought the same. I expected a lot more security and competency from a fully functioning community the size of Alexandria. I thought there would at least be tower lookouts with snipers and perimeter detail. I'm surprised they survived this long! I guess it would depend how out of the way the place is.

Did anyone else notice that Jessie had an owl tattoo on her right arm? It was visible when she handed Rick the mirror after giving him a haircut. Then she mentioned again that she was creating an owl sculpture with her kids. Significance?

• Love 3

As pointed out above, if Deanna has a video camera and Alexandria has enough power to have hot water and video games, someone could have powered up a phone, tablet, or other video camera with an actual video tour of the place.

I didn't begrudge Aaron's use of pictures at all.  Until you're sure about them, it might not be a good idea to let on to Outsiders just how much of a technology base you still have going at the home camp.  Might give some people some bad ideas.

• Love 3

I don't like how they run into groups that are hyper-competent and then incompetent.  Mapping a 53 mile radius semi-circle is a lot of ground to cover, and those two Alexandrians who tracked Rick's group for weeks is no small accomplishment.  Plus, they have had to make frequent runs to provide food for all in that community, including elderly members they have not left to die.  Yet, when they arrive we find Laurel and Hardy out making runs.  They better explain that inconsistency at some point.

Anybody else notice, when Aiden was talking about his recently deceased supply group, he got a quaver in in voice when he said, "They were good people - they just got scared"?

My personal impression - while out on a supply run, Aiden and his idiot buddy (a) did something stupid which brought a lot of walkers down on them, then (b) ran off scared, leaving the rest to be massacred.

And... continuing on an earlier thought... wonder if Aiden's dad might've been on that run as well...?

• Love 7