Type keyword(s) to search

Vacations: Where To Go, What To See, Where To Eat

tribeca
  • Start Topic

Hi all.  I'll be in Dallas the last week of this month.  I will have a car and nothing to do during the day while Mr. ebk works.  I've done the Book Depository, so any other ideas will be most welcome.  Also, restaurants.  We love to eat and he will be available for dinners.  Thanks!

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Hi all.  I'll be in Dallas the last week of this month.  I will have a car and nothing to do during the day while Mr. ebk works.  I've done the Book Depository, so any other ideas will be most welcome.  Also, restaurants.  We love to eat and he will be available for dinners.  Thanks!

Dallas is such a fun city - tons of great restaurants!  If you like pizza - you might want to give Cane Rosso a try...everyone is different obviously, but we love their pizza.

You have Google/Yelp, so I’m sure you’ll find plenty to do what interests you.  I always like to visit the Arboretum and Botanical Gardens.  Lots of walking paths.  Lovely any time of the year.  Cedar Ridge Preserve has hiking trails - nice to try out this time of year.  Tons of museums, nice aquarium etc

Have fun!

• Love 2

Cane Rosso for pizza. Pecan Lodge for bbq followed up by Emporium Pies for dessert (they are relatively near each other in the Bishop Arts district). If you want to shop, North Park mall or Snyder Plaza.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

No matter your political affiliation, I recommend the George W Bush Library on the edge of the SMU campus. I love all presidential libraries and this one has some magnificent displays of gifts from other countries, Laura’s gowns, menu cards from state dinners and other interesting artifacts, including a moving 911 exhibit. I even have a presidential library passbook that I get stamped at all the libraries I visit. I’ll send you a PM later this week with other recommendations in the Dallas area. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

No matter your political affiliation, I recommend the George W Bush Library on the edge of the SMU campus. I love all presidential libraries and this one has some magnificent displays of gifts from other countries, Laura’s gowns, menu cards from state dinners and other interesting artifacts, including a moving 911 exhibit. I even have a presidential library passbook that I get stamped at all the libraries I visit. I’ll send you a PM later this week with other recommendations in the Dallas area. 

Thanks!  When we take our baseball trips, if there's a Presidential Library in the area, we try to hit it up.  Last time we were in Dallas, it was before this one would have been built, so this is a great idea!  I look forward to hearing from you for more info!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Thanks!  When we take our baseball trips, if there's a Presidential Library in the area, we try to hit it up.  Last time we were in Dallas, it was before this one would have been built, so this is a great idea!  I look forward to hearing from you for more info!

Now that I know you like visiting presidential libraries, since you’re in the general area and if you can fit this in (although it is a bit far for a day trip), drive about 3 hours south to the George HW Bush Library on the Texas A&M campus. Artifacts from not just his presidency, but as ambassador to China, CIA director, fragment from the Berlin Wall and, recently installed, a statue of GHWB’s service dog, Sullyhttps://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/statue-commemorates-president-george-hw-bushs-service-dog/story?id=67461751

I love presidential pets!* On the way down to College Station, there’s a very good winery, Messina Hof, that has a wonderful restaurant. More later in a PM.

*edited to add: I didn’t mean to imply that Sully was GHWB’s pet.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 2

Okay, I'm stumped. So I'm reaching out to all of you here, in the hopes one of you can suggest something that I'm looking for.

See, at the end of the month, I'll be celebrating a milestone birthday, and I want to just pamper myself. The original plan was to go to India and celebrate with my parents and cousins galore and friends that I have there. Because, well, it would be a celebration and I know it would have been FUN. But. I can't afford it. Right now.

In the meantime, I want to go to a spa, get scrubbed, buffed, and massaged, dammit! And I don't want to have to go to Vegas to do it! See, the last time I went to Vegas, I stayed at the Lux, where I had the most AWESOMEST HOT STONE massage when I arrived and was limp as a noodle by the time I was done; got an amazing body scrub the next day. And ruined it all by going horse back riding that afternoon! Anyway, I'm looking for something similar near me. In the DC/MD/VA or WV area.

I have gone online, and searched and searched and searched. But I can't find a single spa that is in my budget. And by that, I mean UNDER $1000.

I've found a couple of places where I can do some REAL horsie back riding in VA--and by that I mean, trail rides where I can canter to my heart's content, and not have to wear those fugly helmets while doing so, or those ridiculous "trots." I'm not entering an equestrian competition, after all.

Maybe I'll do the riding the day and THEN head to be pampered.😄

I know my sister went to some spa in VA (or so she said) either last year or the year before. When I asked her where it was she went, she texts back to me "I don't know what spa ur talking about." Yeah, she does a lot of text speak. It's annoying.😒

How far from the greater DC metro area are you willing to travel, @GHScorpiosRule?  Maybe there's something a little further afield?  There are some ski resorts not terribly far from DC that have spa services (Snowshoe, Wintergreen), and there are some places near Charlottesville and even Williamsburg that have spa services -- have you checked around there?

2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

How far from the greater DC metro area are you willing to travel, @GHScorpiosRule?  Maybe there's something a little further afield?  There are some ski resorts not terribly far from DC that have spa services (Snowshoe, Wintergreen), and there are some places near Charlottesville and even Williamsburg that have spa services -- have you checked around there?

I'm willing to go that far. But I think I found a place near Shenandoah. It's close to the caverns and I haven't checked, but I think the horsie back riding I want to do is about a half hour away. And this place has HOT STONE massage. I don't think anyplace can compare to the pampering I got at The Lux, though. If I could afford it, I'd go to Vegas. Seriously.

But I'll check out the ones you mentioned!

1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

@GHScorpiosRuleI didn't check for horsies -- the places I mentioned will probably fall short on that front.  Wintergreen has hot stone massages, though. 

I checked both out. I really like the Wintergreen spa one. But nothing's available for the weekend I want to go. BUT. I'm adding it to my list to go....later, since I just found out my firm is getting an additional bonus for its support staff--which means me--but I won't get it until close to the end of the month. So I can bank that for later, along with my annual bonus which I WILL get this year because I'm ahead on my billable hours.

Maybe I'll go to Vegas in May.

• Love 2

I can't believe that I just found this thread.  Oh well, I had a great time a couple of weeks ago in south Florida. If anyone is interested, we flew to Ft. Lauderdale airport.  Was told easier than Miami, though, I flew there years ago with no issues. Rented car and drove to Marathon Key. Stayed at great resort, called Tranquility Bay.   Beach front villa. Very nice indeed. If you just want to relax, low key (lol) and recharge your batteries, it's perfect. It did wonders for my health.  We dined at local places and loved the food and people. Lots of locals.  Next time, I'm going further down to Key West to see those sites and will stay near them all, so, we can walk everywhere.  Please advise if you know if any particular places that are good to stay around there. 

Also, I'm planning a trip to Nashville.  It'll probably be about 4 of us going.   Any recommendations would be welcome. 

• Love 4

SunnyBeBe:

Well, no trip to Nashville would be complete without the de rigeur ones of the Ryman Auditorium and Grand Ole Opry but if country music isn't your thing, there's always the Parthenon which is the  world's only full-scale replica of the Athenian building complete with a 40 foot tall statue of the Greek goddess of wisdom, strategic planning, and Athens as well as three art galleries for $6.00 USD adults. And it's set in Centennial Park which is quite picturesque. Further out of town is the antebellum Belle Meade Mansion which also has exhibits about the enslaved occupants of the estate. Anyway, I hope this helps. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Please advise if you know if any particular places that are good to stay around there. 

The Harbor Inn (218 Elizabeth Street) in Key West is wonderful. It’s close to everything, but has a green screen so you don’t feel or see all the madness. It’s close enough to many sites to walk everywhere. Maybe 2 blocks to Duvall.  I think last time it cost 150/night and breakfast and cocktail hour (drinks and nibbles) are included. It also has a small heated pool which is great for dipping in, but only is 3’ deep. The management is very helpful and it is kept pristine clean. 

• Love 1

Thank you both for those recommendations!  Now, I just have to arrange it with my work and personal responsibilities and wait for this virus (chronovirus) to get under control.  I'm not wild about traveling til that's done.  

I love art and country music, so that sounds right up my alley Blergh! I'll also catch the Blue Bird Cafe, if the wait isn't too long. lol 

That place in Key West sounds perfect Mindthinkr.  Just the kind of place that I had in mind. I had done some searches and it looked like the going rates were much higher. Does the place have a bar that we can relax and have a cocktail when getting back from sightseeing?  

The ease of the flight from RDU to Ft. Lauderdale was outstanding.  I'm not sure why I haven't been doing this more.  The flight to Nashville is about the same time wise and cost wise. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Thank you both for those recommendations!  Now, I just have to arrange it with my work and personal responsibilities and wait for this virus (chronovirus) to get under control.  I'm not wild about traveling til that's done.  

I love art and country music, so that sounds right up my alley Blergh! I'll also catch the Blue Bird Cafe, if the wait isn't too long. lol 

That place in Key West sounds perfect Mindthinkr.  Just the kind of place that I had in mind. I had done some searches and it looked like the going rates were much higher. Does the place have a bar that we can relax and have a cocktail when getting back from sightseeing?  

The ease of the flight from RDU to Ft. Lauderdale was outstanding.  I'm not sure why I haven't been doing this more.  The flight to Nashville is about the same time wise and cost wise. 

Sorry. No bar, but it is 3 minutes from one that overlooks the water. The room does come with a corkscrew and wine glasses however. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Well, no trip to Nashville would be complete without the de rigeur ones of the Ryman Auditorium and Grand Ole Opry

And the Country Music Hall of Fame - great museum! 

And, of course, Ernest Tubb Record Shop.  Basically, you have to wander up and down Broadway, even though it's horribly touristy; to skip it would be like going to New Orleans and never setting foot on Bourbon Street.  It has changed a lot, especially on the south side (SoBro), but there are still some old-school honky tonks locals will go to amidst all the new stuff.

2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Further out of town is the antebellum Belle Meade Mansion which also has exhibits about the enslaved occupants of the estate.

Another thing along these lines is the Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's home.

2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'll also catch the Blue Bird Cafe, if the wait isn't too long.

If it is, there are a bunch of other listening rooms (such as The  Listening Room, but you may have just as much trouble getting in) -- head out of downtown to the west end and try The Local.

There are some cool art galleries on Fifth Avenue downtown, and in We-Ho (Wedgewood-Houston), just south of downtown.

"Meat and three" food is very much not my thing, so I only went to one such restaurant, and can't remember what it was.  I do like hot chicken, though, and my favorite place to get it was Hattie B's.  Woolworth on 5th is an interesting place to eat, because its lunch counter was the site of many sit-ins during the '60s.  And the park by the Capitol is a great place to picnic (there's a farmers' market right there).

I haven't been in a while, but I used to travel regularly to Nashville on business.  It's a nice city to visit.

• Love 1

I must warn Nashville visitors that the entire downtown area is a parking nightmare- spots are both hen's teeth scarce and sky high. If you can have someone or something else beside your own vehicle to transport you downtown, do so. Also, the I-440, I-24,I-65 beltways can be a bit of a headache. 

Also for those who DO want to sample the Southern 'meat and three' meal, I'd recommend Wendell Smith's (called 'Wendell's) which has been around for over 60 years and has the double advantage of being not too far from downtown but also has good parking AND is right across the street from a Hattie B's hot chicken as well as a dairy dip so if one has others who want cuisine other than 'meat and three' that's a good option. A good Nashville soul food   favorite is Swett's Restaurant ( which also has been around for more than 60 and, like Wendell Smith's has been owned and operated by the same family and has good parking). One might be pleasantly surprised at just how virtually identical the two cuisines are! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 2/24/2015 at 1:28 PM, ebk57 said:

I feel funny about chiming in after the extensive list given by Sun-Bun, but I'll throw in Etch as a place to have a fine dining meal.  I swear I think it's in the top 5 places we've ever eaten.  Start with the butter tasting - yes, really!  Also, I'm not a huge country music fan, but I absolutely loved the Hall of Fame and the Ryman tours.  Also, the Hermitage Hotel is lovely (and the Capitol Grill in the hotel, which is not the chain, is quite good!).  If you like old, ornate architecture, take a walk through it.  Across the street from there is the Tennessee State Museum.  It's free and good for an afternoon.  I was lucky when I was there - they had an exhibit of Elvis photos that was great

I know - quoting yourself can make you go blind... however -  @SunnyBeBe, here are a few suggestions from me regarding Nashville.  Also, on page one of this thread, there's a fantastic post from @Sun-Bunwith a bunch of things to do.

Nashville is fun and we're looking forward to going back so Mr. ebk can see the city (since he was working on the last trip).  Have fun. 

• Love 1

Going to NYC in a few weeks. Would love any ideas for eating or doing something that isn’t touristy. We plan to see a play and visit Ground Zero. (Have done all the major museums, and most of the other standard spots). 

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Going to NYC in a few weeks. Would love any ideas for eating or doing something that isn’t touristy. We plan to see a play and visit Ground Zero. (Have done all the major museums, and most of the other standard spots). 

Oh my, where to begin... we'll be up there at the end of the month and, for once, I don't think I've left us with much downtime.  Mostly because we're gonna try to cram 6 shows into 4 days... 

Food - my favorite, overpriced, Chinese restaurant is Red Farm.  We usually go to the one on the Upper West Side, but I think there's one downtown-ish.  If you like rice pudding, there's a fantastic place on Spring Street called Rice to Riches (which I was happy to see is still open!) Around midtown, we have enjoyed Cafe Un, Deux, Trois, Glass House Tavern, Spoonfed,  Mont Blanc, and, of course, Junior's - mostly for dessert, but the food is pretty decent, too. And for a special meal, you can't beat Keen's.   

My favorite museum in the city is the NY Historical Society on the Upper West Side.  I also loved the Transit Museum and The Met (because, well, it's The Met).  We'll be going to the Historical Society (in particular for the Bill Graham exhibit) and possibly The Met (I'd love to see the Erte exhibit).  There's also a Hal Prince exhibit at the Library for the Performing Art at Lincoln Center that we will see.  The tour of Lincoln Center is also fabulous.  Also love the NY Public Library - not sure what exhibits are there now, but if nothing else, the building itself is worth the trip. 

The Intrepid was fascinating, much moreso than I thought it would be.  And we were there when it was soooooo cold and still had a marvelous visit.  

If there's something you're particularly interested in, please mention it and if I have any ideas, I'll be happy to share.d

What show are you going to see?

• Love 2

Ha, I'm going to NY in a week for a girl's trip! I've been to the city over a dozen times so it's not anything new, but I always love it.

It actually is probably a little touristy but I love Angelo's on Mulberry Street in Little Italy. Yum. I'm also a fan of E.A.T. on the upper East side near the Met. The Tuscan peasant soup and grilled cheese are to die for.

Edited by emma675d
  • Useful 1

More food in the Theatre District (because it's all about the food and the theatre!) - The Ribbon, The Independent, and 2 from Lidia - Becco and Esca.  Also, Joe Allen and their Italian place next door, Orso.  

It's a good thing we're seeing lots of shows, or I'd just eat for 5 days... that wouldn't be good.  🙂 

• LOL 1

Out of curiosity, @Mindthinkr, where are you staying?  I'm close enough to NYC that I usually just Amtrak in, putz around for a couple of hours, see a show, and take the late (early?) train back, but the next time I go, I feel like I might want to stay a little longer.  There are lots of places near Penn Station, of course, but recs are welcome!

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Out of curiosity, @Mindthinkr, where are you staying?  I'm close enough to NYC that I usually just Amtrak in, putz around for a couple of hours, see a show, and take the late (early?) train back, but the next time I go, I feel like I might want to stay a little longer.  There are lots of places near Penn Station, of course, but recs are welcome!

I know you didn't ask me, but we used to stay at the Milburn on the Upper West Side (yeah, I love the Upper West Side).  They closed, so this time we're staying at the Hotel Belleclaire in a one-bedroom for under $200.  I'll let everyone know how it goes, but I'm really hoping it's nice (reviews are promising).  Last summer we stayed in Times Square (which is a hell-hole, bless its heart) and I don't want to have to stay down there again.  

As an FYI, we usually go up in January/February and July/August because the hotels are so much cheaper then. 

• Love 2

@Browncoat My friend selected a place near Times Square called The Manhattan at TS. Not where I usually stay, but it is central and budget friendly. No frills, but there’s a great place for coffee and pastry across the street. I’m thinking of eating at Nearys. It’s near 57th between 1st and 2nd. No a touristy place, no reservations, but the food is superb. She wants to go to Ground Zero. We haven’t gotten tickets yet for any shows and may just go to the booth to see what’s available at half price. She wanted to see Hamilton, but it was expensive for nosebleed seats. I nixed seeing Phantom (it would have been my 3rd time) and thought To Kill a Mockingbird might be too serious for a fun night out. I obviously haven’t had much time to research. I lived not far from NYC at different times in my life. So I have a decent idea of what’s there. I’ve seen operas, Broadway shows, music shows (concerts and classical), but just thought someone here might have an idea off the beaten path. I’d like to go to Chinatown to get Dim Sum and saw some interesting ideas up thread from you posters which I appreciate. I guess I had better get my head out of the clouds and start doing my planning. It’s just been so busy here. Thanks everyone and keep suggesting if you think of something. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

She wanted to see Hamilton, but it was expensive for nosebleed seats.

Your instncts were on the money because Hamilton is coming out as a movie.

The Hamilton movie will retain the entire original principal cast from the Broadway run, because they were all there the night it was shot.  Hamilton is a filmed version of the Broadway show, rather than a full film adaptation with new actors performing a new screenplay.  This means that moviegoers will be treated to the experience of seeing the show on the stage of the Richard Rodgers Theatre, rather than seeing the musical performed on realistic sets depicting the historical locations referenced in the score. Essentially, the film will try to convey exactly what it was like to see Hamilton on Broadway in 2016.

So you can see the original play without paying a forturn.

I'm not a big Broadway person but we're seeing Six. Which is "a modern retelling of the lives of the six wives of Henry VIII presented as a pop concert, as the wives take turns singing and telling their story to see who suffered the most due to Henry and should therefore become the group's lead singer", according to Wikipedia. It's only about an hour and 15 minutes long, which I'm happy about. I'm just not a big theater person. 

• Love 3

ebk57,

I think you need to know that they've moved the Tennessee State Museum to an entirely different location. Still within the Nashville downtown area but with slightly better parking and a bigger facility.

1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I'm not a big Broadway person but we're seeing Six. Which is "a modern retelling of the lives of the six wives of Henry VIII presented as a pop concert, as the wives take turns singing and telling their story to see who suffered the most due to Henry and should therefore become the group's lead singer", according to Wikipedia. It's only about an hour and 15 minutes long, which I'm happy about. I'm just not a big theater person. 

We're seeing that on the 25th and I can not wait!  And I'm not a teenage girl, but I love the London cast recording.  Really looking forward to it. 

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

ebk57,

I think you need to know that they've moved the Tennessee State Museum to an entirely different location. Still within the Nashville downtown area but with slightly better parking and a bigger facility.

Thanks!  I'll keep that in mind when we get back.  It was really convenient for me at the time since we were staying at the hotel across the street and we didn't have a car. 

I love that I wandered by just as the conversation turned to "Six". My wife and I will be seeing that in London in August, as she's an absolute dork over the history of the royals. 🙂

It'll be our third time in London and first time seeing a play over there - I'm not sure why it never occurred to us before.  (Well, our first visit was a rushed near-disaster, but the last time we were there we had all kinds of time. Oh well, we'll fix it this time!)

• Love 1

When this nightmare is over, I urge everyone to go to Molyvos in midtown Manhattan. It's right between City Center (just around the corner, in fact) and Carnegie Hall. I've been worried for the theater district restaurants in particular since everything shut down.

It's just about the best Greek food I've ever had. I always make sure to go at least twice a year.

Afterwards, hop a flight to Jamaica, if they've lifted the ban on travelers from affected countries (my family's from there and I've been there a million times).

• Love 7

My sister wants to make travel plans for next Christmas in Europe.  She seems interested in going to one of those Christmas markets.  I don't know if there will be any due to lockdowns for 2021, and I wouldn't know which one to go to anyway.  Does anyone have any advice? 

She got the idea from this site.

I'm not sure if I want to go due to current mask restrictions (I do not see myself wearing a mask for 8+ hours on a plane).

3 hours ago, magicdog said:

My sister wants to make travel plans for next Christmas in Europe.  She seems interested in going to one of those Christmas markets.  I don't know if there will be any due to lockdowns for 2021, and I wouldn't know which one to go to anyway.  Does anyone have any advice? 

Well, having lived in Nürnberg, Germany a few decades ago, I'm pretty partial to the Christkindlesmarkt  which dates back to 1600's. 

Can't tell you how magical it all is, definitely one has to experience themselves.

edit- Just strolled through your link..oh to be rich, I'd love to go to any of those, they look amazing!   

Edited by Callietwo
added a comment.
  • Love 2

I just watched the movie The Way with Martin Sheen which reminded me that one of the things on my bucket list is to do the El Camino de Santiogo de Compostela before my left knee decides it will need replacing and I might not be able to do it anymore. I think I have about 10 years left based on when my mom's went.

As for Christmas markets, I used to live in Stuttgart.

I always found it very crowded. But I do miss having mulled wine outside in the winter. Keep in mind there is only a very small chance there will be snow.

The Augsburg one where my parents live is nice and smaller. Augsburg itself is nice to visit as well. A half hour train ride from Munich.

Edited by supposebly
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 12/19/2020 at 6:25 PM, magicdog said:

She got the idea from this site.

I'm not sure if I want to go due to current mask restrictions (I do not see myself wearing a mask for 8+ hours on a plane).

The Christmas Markets are wonderful!  We’ve been to a few of the markets on the list...

Im partial to the Basel one, because we lived in Basel for a few years.  The Budapest one is also fantastic.  The city plays a big part of the experience, and it’s always so fun to not only enjoy the market but explore the city and surrounding areas.  Christmastime in Europe is so special, there’s nothing quite like it.  So much info online...

We plan to do one of the Christmas Market River Cruises...hopefully within the next few years.  We love to travel, and have really been missing it lately.   I’m itching to go somewhere, anywhere...at this point!

Edited by Kelly
  • Love 3
On 2/4/2020 at 7:23 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I want to go to a spa, get scrubbed, buffed, and massaged, dammit! And I don't want to have to go to Vegas to do it! See, the last time I went to Vegas, I stayed at the Lux, where I had the most AWESOMEST HOT STONE massage when I arrived and was limp as a noodle by the time I was done; got an amazing body scrub the next day.

Do you mean a spa at Luxor?  Or a different place?  I live in Vegas and I've always enjoyed the spa services at Red Rock Resort (its sister property, Green Valley Ranch is also comparable).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Anyone have any recommendations for a carry-on suitcase?  My current case is a backpack style, and I love it, but it's getting unwieldy as I get older.  It's fairly small (about 38-39L capacity), and suits me well -- I don't need a larger bag, just something that's a little easier to maneuver with around airports.  I was exhausted toting my backpack bag from the plane to my car the last time I flew.

I've looked at Away and Solgaard so far.  The sizes of their carry-ons seem about right.  I wish they came in more colors though.  I'll miss my purple bag if I get a new one.

That one looks interesting!  I'll have to give it a closer look.  I'm so tired of seeing boring black suitcases, though.  Maybe I should look into folding luggage carts and see if I can transform my backpack bag to a wheelie bag.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I love my SwissGear bag that I bought at Target a hundred years ago.  They don't seem to carry it anymore, but Amazon has it in a few colors (not purple, though...sorry).

https://www.amazon.com/SwissGear-6283202161-Sion-21-Black/dp/B014TJR53M/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=swissgear%2Bcarry%2Bon%2Bluggage&qid=1627871681&refinements=p_89%3ASwissGear&rnid=2528832011&s=apparel&sr=1-2&th=1

I have this one. It's great.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'm so tired of seeing boring black suitcases, though. 

I agree, plus it's harder to spot them on a luggage carousel (I only ever take carry-on, even for month-long trips, but I've been with people who do the "I think that's mine, [grabs it], oops, nope" and "Oh shit, there's mine, I must have missed it the first time around" routine with their black bags).  Mine is a medium green color.

The red and teal colors on that SwissGear bag that was linked to are pretty.

• Love 2

If you have a boring black suitcase for some reason, I suggest a brightly colored luggage tag.  I have a lime green tag that I use on my gray bag.  Just because I like green.  But it really stands out on the carousel. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

If you have a boring black suitcase for some reason, I suggest a brightly colored luggage tag.  I have a lime green tag that I use on my gray bag.  Just because I like green.  But it really stands out on the carousel. 

Agree. Though, my family are dog people so mum puts a bright colored poopy bag on her luggage. lol On the plus side, we've not seen anyone who wants to take the poopy bag luggage. HAHA

• LOL 9
On 8/1/2021 at 8:52 PM, Browncoat said:

Anyone have any recommendations for a carry-on suitcase?  My current case is a backpack style, and I love it, but it's getting unwieldy as I get older.  It's fairly small (about 38-39L capacity), and suits me well -- I don't need a larger bag, just something that's a little easier to maneuver with around airports.  I was exhausted toting my backpack bag from the plane to my car the last time I flew.

I've looked at Away and Solgaard so far.  The sizes of their carry-ons seem about right.  I wish they came in more colors though.  I'll miss my purple bag if I get a new one.

If you have a TJ Maxx or Marshall's near you they usually have suitcases . That's where I got my Samsonite carry-on in a pretty blue color.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 1

I decided to try to luggage cart route first.  The one I ordered is inexpensive, lightweight, and hopefully folds down enough to fit in the outer compartment of my current bag.  It’s on backorder, though, so it’ll be a couple of weeks before I can test it out.

In case you don't like that, I ordered an Aerolite Super-Lightweight case in 2015 but it's no longer on Amazon as far as I can tell. It's the smallest model, a little larger than a laptop case, the wheels don't stick out, it fits under a seat, it was the lightest on the market, and it's small enough to fit on interEuropean flights. I did a lot of research ahead of time about the dimensions allowed for carry-ons on various airlines.

The first time I used it, I was in the last group to board and there was very little room left in the overheads. I got to take my case on board while the person next to me with the standard size one had to check it.

The problem I've had with those standard small size cases is that the body of the case fits in the overhead if you put it in top first, but you have to turn it sideways to accommodate the wheels. That's why space goes so fast, I think.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2