Type keyword(s) to search

Vacations: Where To Go, What To See, Where To Eat

tribeca
  • Start Topic

A suitcase of any size must have wheels, that is certain. What's good about the Areolite ones is that they're inset so they work but don't stick out the bottom and don't add to the dimensions of the case. It really annoyed me that I'd see a case that claimed to be 22", which would fit in the overhead, only to read down and see that the wheels added several inches that weren't accounted for.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1

We had been planning to go to Chicago for my friend’s wedding next month but it’s been postponed again because of you-know-what. I know it was the last thing she wanted to do and I am sorry for her, but I’m really bummed. I hope she’ll reschedule soon. I’m just SO FED UP with people who won’t do their part and made things worse.

• Love 3

Can anyone offer advice on things to do and places to stay in Florida in February? I'm hoping to escape the soul-crushing PNW winter for a week. I'll be traveling with a 3-year-old so I'm looking for some warm weather, low-key attractions (he loves animals), and a home base where we can cook for ourselves and possibly enjoy a pool or beach. No theme parks this time. History nerd that I am I'm leaning toward St. Augustine or Key West with a visit to Dry Tortugas. I've also heard great things about the gulf coast beaches but know very little about them or what other activities are around, apart from avoiding the $cientologists in Clearwater. 😁 

Any help?

• Love 1

I ended up buying the carry-on size from July.  It's purple-ish, the right size, and the lightest weight of all the currently popular bags.  It also comes with a charging pack, and you can personalize it pretty much any way you want -- including emoji!  That was what really sold me.  That and the color.  Oh, and that it's several ounces lighter with greater capacity than the next best bag.  The luggage cart I tried to order never got off back order, so I cancelled it.  Still trying to work out something for my other bag, but I have the new wheelie bag for my trip to Scotland this summer.

Yes, Scotland is finally happening!  I looked back through this thread, and saw that I posed in February 2020 about going that summer, but, well, we all know what happened then.  The UK is fully open now (for now) with no restrictions!  I am joining a tour group on 20 June, but want to go a couple of days (2.5, really)  early to putz around in Edinburgh and kind of get over jet lag a little bit.  

Which leads me to this question -- Do I want to stay in a hotel near the city centre, taking the Skylink bus in from and back to the airport to join the group, or do I want to stay out near the airport and take the bus into town each day?  I can't quite figure out from the bus line's website if there's a suitable pass for a tourist (the site seems more geared for residents) for three days.  There are pros and cons to each.  The airport hotels are less expensive, but the difference might be made up in bus fare.  It would be convenient to be near all the things in town, but it would also be convenient to be near the airport when it comes time to meet the group.

Or should I split the difference?  Stay the first two nights in town, and the last night in an airport hotel?

Anyone have any thoughts?

• Love 3

I’d stay in Edinburgh. There is a bit that can be done during the evenings and nighttime. Pub crawls, ghost tours and the music scene. I don’t know what time the busses are scheduled, but I think you could put in longer days that way and not spend too much of it traveling to and fro. 

• Love 4

Edinburgh is a terrific city to wander around in, with all those great little medieval alleys (called closes).  I would definitely stay in town (whether in Old Town or New Town, I find it best to stay someplace close to the border so you have easy access to both sides) and just bus it to the airport when you have to go meet the group. 

• Love 5

I'm really looking forward to having a lot of time in Edinburgh.  I've been before, but generally only had three or four hours, which isn't nearly enough if you want to do anything other than tour the castle and maybe go see Greyfriar's Bobby and the kirk yard.    On another trip, I went to Mary King's Close, which was great.  There are several hotels quite close to Waverley Station, including The Old Waverley Hotel, which is currently the front runner for in-town hotels.  It's actually less expensive than a lot of the others, believe it or not.

The Skylink/Airlink buses run all night, so I don't think getting back to the airport in a timely fashion will be a problem.

Thanks for the input!

• Love 3

I love Edinburgh! The first time I was there just for one day, the second time for five days and we stayed rather close to the centre in a small B&B, wasn't even expensive. It was maybe three bus stops from the centre and in the morning we didn't even take the bus and just walked there.

• Love 2

I am THRILLED that the COVID testing requirement for re-entry to the US has been dropped!  That was one thing that I was really stressing about regarding my trip to Scotland -- which is this week!  It is such a relief knowing I don't have to worry and wonder about what to do if I were to test positive.  And I can pack less, too.

I will, of course, still be cautious.  But man, this is a load off my mind.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I am THRILLED that the COVID testing requirement for re-entry to the US has been dropped!  That was one thing that I was really stressing about regarding my trip to Scotland -- which is this week!  It is such a relief knowing I don't have to worry and wonder about what to do if I were to test positive.  And I can pack less, too.

I will, of course, still be cautious.  But man, this is a load off my mind.

Have a wonderful trip! We are talking about Scotland for next year! I can’t wait to hear all about it. Did you get global entry for going thru customs when you get home? I hear it makes the process one million times faster and easier.  When we returned from London in 2018, customs was a freaking nightmare so we will probably sign up for global entry. I think the entire process takes about a month or so. 

Edited by Spunkygal
12 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Did you get global entry for going thru customs when you get home?

I do have Global Entry!  I got it a couple of years ago (well, four), prior to a trip where my connection in Miami was a little on the short side.  It was easy to breeze right through with plenty of time to get to my next gate. And even if you only use it once, I think it is well worth the price.  You also get TSA pre-check with it.  The only issue I had (and it really wasn't a real issue) was the interview.  I don't live very close to any airport where they conduct the interviews, so I did have to drive a ways.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I do have Global Entry!  I got it a couple of years ago (well, four), prior to a trip where my connection in Miami was a little on the short side.  It was easy to breeze right through with plenty of time to get to my next gate. And even if you only use it once, I think it is well worth the price.  You also get TSA pre-check with it.  The only issue I had (and it really wasn't a real issue) was the interview.  I don't live very close to any airport where they conduct the interviews, so I did have to drive a ways.  

One of my friends who is usually in my traveling group had her interview during international travel lockdown. She said it took longer to drive to the airport (about 30 minutes each way) for the interview compared to how long the actual interview lasted! She said it was a great experience because there were ZERO people in the international terminal and she just breezed right through. She already had a precheck ID number so they assigned a new one with global entry. I also have a precheck number but it sounds like global entry is worth it. 

Please give us a recap of your trip when you return. Safe travels!!

• Like 1

Applied for Global entry recently and no interviews available anywhere within driving distance of me. Advised to complete process when coming back from international flight at any international airport. So kind of defeats purpose of global entry but good to go afterwards.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Just some advice, if you're considering Global Entry at all, apply sooner rather than later. It took over 4.5 months from when I applied to hear anything because they were so backed up. I just did my interview two weeks ago and I finally have my card. And I applied in December 2021.

• Love 3

Greetings from Edinburgh!  It’s somewhat warm and mostly sunny today, though some clouds are moving in.  I’m having a great time — as I said in the peeves thread, I love the farmer’s market here.  So much more interesting than the markets at home.  I can see the castle from my hotel room, if I lean out a little. Later today, I have a Harry Potter walking tour, and tomorrow, I signed up for a ghost tour.  Everyone I’ve met or spoken to seems happy to have us tourist-types back, and there are a LOT of tourist-types in town.  I am certainly happy to be here!

• Like 3
  • Love 11

Well, the inevitable happened early — one of our small group has tested positive for COVID.  He’s mostly asymptomatic, just a headache, I think, but we’ve all started wearing masks on the very small bus/van.  Yes, I know, we’re closing the barn door after the horses have all left, but we’re doing it partly for the small, unvaccinated child.  They are more likely to wear a mask if the rest of us are, thus protecting them perhaps a little more.

Other than that, it’s been a good trip so far.  It’s quite windy, but it hasn’t really rained, and the sun comes and goes.  We’re in Stornoway this morning, headed back to the mainland this afternoon.  Yesterday, we visited the Callanish Stones. We got there after the visitor’s center closed, but the stones themselves are accessible 24/7, so that wasn’t a problem.  It was actually quite nice, as most people had left.  We pretty much had the stones to ourselves.  

• Like 5

I am back!  I tested myself this morning, and, yep, still positive.  The only symptom I have really is congestion.  If I didn't know better, I wouldn't even think twice about this congestion -- it feels like allergies, or the congestion I sometimes get in air-conditioned air.  But here we are.  I did wear my mask in the airport and on the plane, but I would estimate that 40-50% of the people around me were coughing that COVID cough, and I'd also say that fewer than 1/3 of all the people were masked.  

Other than that, it was a great trip!  There was really only one day that I felt bad -- fever, no appetite -- and I took it easy that day and the next couple of days.  The weather was absolutely fabulous!  I could not have asked for better.  I think it only rained either at night or when we were in transit in our vehicle.  Otherwise, it was sunny with reasonable temperatures.  Unfortunately, those reasonable temperatures meant that DC yesterday afternoon felt more miserable than usual.

But we had a good time in Inverness, and a very moving visit to Culloden.  In St. Andrews, they're busily preparing for the Open, but those of us who care about golf were still able to walk out on the Old Course and take photos.

The tiny airport in Edinburgh was a nightmare, though, for the return trip.  For some reason, I wasn't able to check in early for my flight, so I had to get my boarding pass at the airport.  I was quite glad I didn't check a bag, though!  Because I didn't, I got shuffled to the short line (the Priority line!).  The line for non-Priority people who were checking bags was insane.  It wouldn't surprise me if that had taken more than an hour to get through.  Security was equally bad.  There was the usual hullabaloo, but then it seemed like they were randomly selecting every 5th bag or something to pull aside for further screening.  Some I think were legit -- I overheard one (American, I'm sorry to say) woman complaining that they found her $100 bottle of perfume (I saw it -- it was way over the 100mL limit) that she'd only used a couple of times, and they kept it.  I had no sympathy -- we all know the rules by now.  But my bag was selected for no reason.  I had to open it, and the guy looked in it, of course not finding any contraband, but he swabbed the whole thing for explosives.  I cannot think of a single thing in my bag that would require it to have been pulled aside.  I'm convinced it was random screening.  At least I didn't have to take my shoes off.  And I was glad I left about 4 hours -- all of that took a good two, and I felt like I got through quickly.

After we got on the plane, we then had to wait for passengers from a connecting flight. Then we had to wait for their luggage.  Then we had to wait for the wrong luggage to be taken back off the plane.  Then we had to wait because one of the ground crew needed a new battery for his headset.  I think we left about 30-45 minutes late.  But it worked out -- we somehow made up a little time on the way (or maybe they budgeted more time initially), and were only a little late with our very rough, bouncy landing.  Not the worst landing I've experienced, but pretty close.  The rest of the journey home was unremarkable, but once again, Global Entry more than paid for itself.  The queue at customs was another insane one.  I was glad to be able to skip it!

• Like 2
  • Love 3

@Browncoat, so glad you’re home safely! I hope your congestion is over soon. Your trip sounds wonderful. I am a golf fan and would have loved St Andrews. Oh my, the weather sounds fabulous…you really went at the perfect time. And all that history and natural beauty. I really hope we get to go next year. 

Did you try the haggis? Did you get any interesting items to bring home? I would love to look for a wool sweater with pretty thistles woven into a design. I was reading a fictional book set in Scotland and one of the characters went Christmas shopping and bought a beloved aunt a sweater like that. For some reason, that has stayed in my head all these years and I thought “how pretty!” 🤣

You have certainly sold me on my decision to get global entry. I’m glad I’ve got that taken care of. And I never check luggage. As I tell my friends, “it ain’t a fashion show” so I alternate garments every other day, hand washing as needed.

Thank you for your trip report! Now you need to plan your next one! 

50 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Did you try the haggis?

I will never ever in a million zillion years try haggis.  Not authentic, actual haggis anyway.  I don't do organ meats.

51 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Did you get any interesting items to bring home?

I didn't really buy much other than  food.  I got a couple of keychains for a couple of small people who collect them, and a guidebook about the Kelpies in Falkirk (they are incredible up close and personal).  Oh, and some notecards that have lovely art on them. But at this point, I've been enough that the only thing I really want is a Harris Tweed jacket or coat, and that's not quite in the budget!  I didn't pay attention to the sweaters, but I feel confident you could find one like that.

59 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

And I never check luggage. As I tell my friends, “it ain’t a fashion show” so I alternate garments every other day, hand washing as needed.

Plus, depending on the group you're with, either you're all friends already so they don't care what you wear, or you'll never see those people again, so who cares what they think about what you wear!  I also have a habit of taking old, worn-out things that are ready to be tossed anyway, and just toss them along the way.  Yes, I've left a trail of ratty clothes across Scotland!  

My next trip is already in the works -- it's another one that was postponed from 2020, and that is to Costa Rica and Panama in December.  I'll probably buy more interesting things there -- and do my Christmas shopping, too!

• Love 3

I also take old clothes and ditch them as I go so there's room for souvenirs. My carry on is small enough to fit on European planes so there isn't room to spare without discarding T shirts and so on.

• Love 3

I'm not sure how well this would work internationally, but I go to the post office and grab a flat rate box. When I'm packing to come home, I pack that box full of dirty clothes and ship it to myself. That usually frees up enough space for my souvenirs. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

I'm not sure how well this would work internationally, but I go to the post office and grab a flat rate box. When I'm packing to come home, I pack that box full of dirty clothes and ship it to myself. That usually frees up enough space for my souvenirs. 

That works well here in the US, but I haven’t looked for them overseas. 

• Love 1

So we're taking our first overnight trip since the pandemic to Mackinaw City (I live in Michigan). It's only for one night, but I'm still pretty nervous about staying in a hotel, in light of, well, everything. Everyone is telling me not to worry, that we're all going to be careful, etc. And I at least get a separate room with my brother instead of the four of us all being in the same room. 

To be perfectly honest, I've never really liked Mackinaw City all that much and it definitely wasn't one of the places I fantasized about going to during lockdown. My animal loving self can't stand the taxidermy decor and to make matters worse, their bookstore (the one place there that I really liked) has been permanently closed. The only thing I'm looking forward to is eating at Darrows, the best restaurant they've got there IMHO. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, a vacation is a vacation. But I've gone two years without me or my parents getting COVID, and I sure as hell don't want to get it from Mackinaw fucking City.

55 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

So.... why are you going there?  lol

My parents want to go. They like it there.

I mean I want to go just to get out but at the same time, all anxieties aside, it’s not my first choice place.

Plus, like I said, Darrows.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1

We just went on our first trip since February 2020 - to NYC, the last place we went in February 2020 😄

We were careful - the only places we were maskless was the restaurants.  Otherwise, all masks, all the time.  It's really not a burden wearing a mask at the theatre, or museum, or even outside when it's in the 90s (on the Intrepid - not really comfy, but doable).  

I'd just try to relax and not worry too much and take reasonable precautions.  Have a good time, @Spartan Girl!!  Enjoy Darrows!

• Love 2
On 7/3/2022 at 7:25 AM, Browncoat said:

I am back!  I tested myself this morning, and, yep, still positive.  The only symptom I have really is congestion.  If I didn't know better, I wouldn't even think twice about this congestion -- it feels like allergies, or the congestion I sometimes get in air-conditioned air.  But here we are.  I did wear my mask in the airport and on the plane, but I would estimate that 40-50% of the people around me were coughing that COVID cough, and I'd also say that fewer than 1/3 of all the people were masked.  

Still?  Did you get it while you were travelling?  :-( 

Edited by Leeds
4 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Still?  Did you get it while you were travelling?  :-( 

I did get it while travelling!  But I think it was from one of our own group who likely picked it up in London before joining the rest of us in Edinburgh.  I am not still positive now (that I know of) -- that post was from early July.  I haven't tested again since I tested negative three days in a row back in July.

• Love 1

France questions for the assembled:

If you've been to Mont St. Michel, what is the least bad place to eat?

I would welcome suggestions for food in Paris. It's so overwhelming. I'm likely to go to a market and get picnicky food so if you know a good market, especially one open on Wednesday and Friday, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

If you used public transport--what pass am I supposed to get?! I'm hoping to use buses so I can see the city instead of riding under it.

42 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I did get it while travelling!  But I think it was from one of our own group who likely picked it up in London before joining the rest of us in Edinburgh.  I am not still positive now (that I know of) -- that post was from early July.  I haven't tested again since I tested negative three days in a row back in July.

Sorry, I didn't notice the date of the earlier post!

• Wink 1

I'll paste most of my post from another forum.

I'm in need of travel advice for Minneapolis/St. Paul.  I'm flying up Thursday, arriving around mid-morning. I'll be renting a car, and staying at a hotel in Eagan, not far from the airport. I'll have some free time on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning. I already plan to go to Mall of America, probably between landing Thursday and hotel check-in in the afternoon. I'll probably have lunch at MoA. I'm interested in Panda Express - not much passable Asian food where I live now. I'll probably have most of Friday on my own. Any recommendations on things to do/see during the day on Friday? I'd be interested in seeing the Mary Tyler Moore statue, but not if I have to drive through a lot of traffic. Maybe a good museum? TIA!

On 1/29/2023 at 4:08 PM, zoey1996 said:

I'm interested in Panda Express - not much passable Asian food where I live now.

The chain?  It's okay for fast food American Chinese, but that's a low bar; there must be far better places to get Chinese food in a city that size these days.  Here's what Eater has to say.

On 1/29/2023 at 4:08 PM, zoey1996 said:

Any recommendations on things to do/see during the day on Friday? I'd be interested in seeing the Mary Tyler Moore statue, but not if I have to drive through a lot of traffic. Maybe a good museum? TIA!

I was only in Minneapolis once, and it was many moons ago and I was in and out for a conference, so only had one day to properly explore beyond wandering downtown a bit near where I was staying.  I went to Minnehaha Park, which was lovely, and to a sculpture garden in another park (they have a shit ton of parks; it's great), which was also nice.  (And to a fabulous, famous feminist bookstore, but it's long closed, like most.)  The only museum I had time to visit was Mill City, which was interesting (and is a nice riverfront location).  I don't remember where I ate and drank, unfortunately (and who knows how many would still be open even if I did).

• Like 1

Planning a trip to DC in May. Will be staying with my bestie in Faifax VA.  We couldn't do Vegas ($$$).  We were thinking a wellness trip as we have done all the tourist stuff in DC.  Spaworld is defiantly on the list as well as massages.  Anyone else have any other suggestions ??

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

The chain?  It's okay for fast food American Chinese, but that's a low bar; there must be far better places to get Chinese food in a city that size these days.  Here's what Eater has to say.

Thanks! Kowloon, on Eater's list, is about 10 minutes from the Mill City Museum, and I like the menu, so that may be a good choice for me. 

Since it's cold February, I'll probably pass on any parks.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

In Minneapolis, check out Louise Erdrich's bookstore Birchbark Books.

People I knew from there swore that the breakfasts at Al's in Dinkytown were great.  I think it's near the university.

Wow - I thought they had closed.  This is great news...even though my chances of being in Minneapolis again are slim.  I really enjoyed the meal I had there ages ago. 

14 hours ago, greekmom said:

Planning a trip to DC in May. Will be staying with my bestie in Faifax VA.  We couldn't do Vegas ($$$).  We were thinking a wellness trip as we have done all the tourist stuff in DC.  Spaworld is defiantly on the list as well as massages.  Anyone else have any other suggestions ??

Have you all toured Mt. Vernon? It's worth a half day and has a fantastic tavern/restaurant for lunches (and not too far from Fairfax)!

• Like 1

Update - what I did. On Thursday, I went to Mall of America between airport arrival and hotel check in. I pretty much stayed near the East Ramp. Fun to walk around and window shop. I ate at Bubba Gump's for lunch. A bit pricey, but it was a treat to have shrimp at lunch. Friday weather was bitterly cold. Started around -13f. That was the day I planned to sightsee, but I just couldn't make myself go out in those temperatures. Around 3 p.m. I went to El Loro in Eagan for late lunch/early dinner, very near my hotel, but I drove there. So I spent most of the day in my room, reading, watching TV, and napping. On Saturday, I went to Doggie Depot at the Union Depot. So many dogs - it was so fun! Lots of vendors, too. Flew home Saturday evening. So not the trip I planned, but it's OK anyway.

• Like 7

Hello everyone!  Is anyone from/familiar with Nashville? I'm travelling there in a few weeks to meet up with a friend from Paris!

Can anyone recommend the best, non cost prohibitive way to get from the airport to downtown?  I'm going to google, but "personal" advice is often more helpful.

I've neve been before and I'm very excited!  Thanks!

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Leeds said:

Hello everyone!  Is anyone from/familiar with Nashville? I'm travelling there in a few weeks to meet up with a friend from Paris!

Can anyone recommend the best, non cost prohibitive way to get from the airport to downtown?  I'm going to google, but "personal" advice is often more helpful.

I rented a car at the airport. We needed the car to get around there. Have you considered that?  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I rented a car at the airport. We needed the car to get around there. Have you considered that?  

I have, but for a variety of reasons (environmental, lack of need apart from getting to and from the airport, unfamiliarity with Nashville and environs, etc), I prefer not to.

17 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I have, but for a variety of reasons (environmental, lack of need apart from getting to and from the airport, unfamiliarity with Nashville and environs, etc), I prefer not to.

FWIW, depending on where you will be sightseeing, a car felt useful there.  It's not a typical urban city--more suburban sprawl-ish.  I was there a long time ago, and they hadn't even finished the Country Music Hall of Fame.  You can have fun walking in the downtown area near the original Opry theater (Ryman auditorium) and going into some country music bars, and you could walk to the Hall of Fame from there too.  We were at the Opryland Hotel for a meeting. That is a convention type hotel for meetings.  Out of the central downtown. 

• Like 1

It's been a few years, but we just went with the Super Shuttle (or whatever it's called now) from and back to the airport.  We were staying in the downtown area though, so didn't need a car. 

Mr. ebk was working, so I wandered around during the day.  Particularly loved the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Ryman Auditorium tours, and hanging out at Tootsie's Orchid Lounge listening to music.  I also loved the Tennessee State Museum, which used to be across the street from our hotel (and free!), but I was informed that it has moved, although still in the downtown area. 

We really enjoyed our dinner at Etch.  The other place we loved, The Capitol Grille, has closed. 

There are a few posts a couple pages back all about Nashville.   They may be of some help to you, @Leeds

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Leeds said:

My friend and I took an Uber but we weren't going anywhere but our hotel, bar crawling on Broadway, and walking over to Nissan Stadium for a concert. I think the Uber was $30 when I landed Saturday morning and probably similar when we left Sunday afternoon.

• Like 1

I used to travel to Nashville annually for work, but that included a rental car, so I'm not familiar with other airport transportation options.

But do indeed check the old posts in this thread if you're also interested in recommendations for where to go once you're there.

49 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I used to travel to Nashville annually for work, but that included a rental car, so I'm not familiar with other airport transportation options.

But do indeed check the old posts in this thread if you're also interested in recommendations for where to go once you're there.

Thanks everyone for the reminder to check out old posts - I had done a vague but unsuccessful look.  I'll try better this time!

• Like 2