Type keyword(s) to search

Vacations: Where To Go, What To See, Where To Eat

tribeca
  • Start Topic

If I were visiting Nashville now I would visit Parnassus Books, the store run by the writer Ann Patchett.  That didn’t exist when I last visited. We also walked around the Vanderbilt campus. We also visited the Andrew Jackson home. A controversial figure, to be sure. 

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

If I were visiting Nashville now I would visit Parnassus Books, the store run by the writer Ann Patchett.  That didn’t exist when I last visited. We also walked around the Vanderbilt campus. We also visited the Andrew Jackson home. A controversial figure, to be sure. 

Thanks, especially for the Parnassus Books recommendation.  I love visiting campus universities and I'm staying near Vanderbilt so that's definitely on the list.

• Like 2

So I went to India for a little over two weeks and just returned home on Sunday. Below are the outfits my Mum bought me that I mentioned in the Chit-Chat thread.

The last is one of the bangle sets I got. I’ll try to post one of me in the cream lenegha in a bit.

D1E6A551-D8DB-4E1F-B894-66568174A821.jpeg

1E14C710-4C83-4229-A3CF-787770638046.jpeg

ECF0A1BE-698D-4B57-A31C-A722AA6CF1F1.jpeg

AB72BD95-0837-49EC-873B-D066F2BB236C.jpeg

Had to hide my face!

911C9E74-952E-4786-841C-3294F826FD45.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Thanks for posting all the gorgeous photos!

I've been lucky enough to travel quite a lot, including two long stints in India.  If people ask me where my favourite destination was and my first choice to go back, I always say India.

(Sorry you were ill when you came back; hope you're feeling better now.)

• Like 3
9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

THIS is the cup they provided me with when they gave me coffee at Styles and Scissors! I swear I wanted to steal it for myself! The intricate and delicate design made me feel like Royalty!

546C68A5-27A0-4A33-8F9F-8D84CB85182E.jpeg

If you have any Middle Eastern and/or East Indian grocery stores in your area, these cups are often available  usually if you look in the coffee sections near where they'd have samovars for sale (and, if the stores don't have them, I'm sure they could help orde one for you)! I hope that helps!

• Useful 2
16 hours ago, Leeds said:

Thanks for posting all the gorgeous photos!

I've been lucky enough to travel quite a lot, including two long stints in India.  If people ask me where my favourite destination was and my first choice to go back, I always say India.

(Sorry you were ill when you came back; hope you're feeling better now.)

Aww, and m glad you liked them. I’m going to post more that don’t have my relatives because it’s too much work to “erase” the faces!

15 hours ago, Blergh said:

If you have any Middle Eastern and/or East Indian grocery stores in your area, these cups are often available  usually if you look in the coffee sections near where they'd have samovars for sale (and, if the stores don't have them, I'm sure they could help orde one for you)! I hope that helps!

There are a lot of grocery stores in my area and none sell such beautiful sets. I suspect the salons have a special deal with whoever sold them the tea sets. 

I’ll look around on my next trip. Maybe.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

There are a lot of grocery stores in my area and none sell such beautiful sets. I suspect the salons have a special deal with whoever sold them the tea sets. 

I’ll look around on my next trip. Maybe.

I found these on Amazon if you do business with them and like these.  It seems to be a set of 6 though.  (I just Googled Indian tea cups and it linked me to Amazon.)

image.thumb.png.a8eef2716d765a28333479a97ba94ab3.png

Uninformed question here. Is there a difference in Indian tea cups and china (not the country) tea cups? Either way I thought to suggest looking at an upscale consignment shop, antique or even just a junk shop. I have aways found treasures in those places. 
I inherited my northern grandma’s tea cup collection and I understand the pull to drink out of them. The picture you posted from your trip and also from your google search remind me of the ones from her. I had about 50 different ones that she had in a glass fronted cabinet. I got that also. Sigh, as fate would have it, they were destroyed in a rare tornado back in 2011. I do have the set of blue willow dishes/cups/ serving items that were left untouched that were from the 1800’s and also passed down to me.

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Hugs 3
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Uninformed question here. Is there a difference in Indian tea cups and china (not the country) tea cups?

No idea. I just know I loved the cup that had the coffee they served me when I was at the salon. 

• Like 1

Dang I am so far away from posting in the correct thread that I am almost on another site.  Big ooops here! Nothing to see, if you did see it was me not you who was confused.

Edited by stewedsquash

So, I won't bore you with my travelogue text! Just give you a highlight of what pictures are coming. Unless you'd like the travelogue?

Anyhoo, these are the pictures from the reception. Yeah, it's a new thing, that they have reception/exchange of the flower garlands, then the religious/marriage ceremony the next morning (!), followed by a musical program that night. Typically, marriages are done in the late evening. There will be a delay, as I'm typing this on my PC, but will upload the pics from my phone.

As you can see, how super silky and shiny my hair looks, thanks to Rakesh at the salon in Udaipur-which was about a 15 minute drive from the Spectrum resort. Oh! And these are the pics from the Coral Suite!

IMG_0882.jpeg

IMG_0883.jpeg

IMG_0884.jpeg

IMG_0885.jpeg

IMG_0888.jpeg

IMG_0889.jpeg

IMG_0891.jpeg

IMG_0890.jpeg

IMG_0892.jpeg

IMG_0895.jpeg

IMG_0896.jpeg

IMG_0899.jpeg

IMG_0900.jpeg

IMG_0936.jpeg

IMG_0937.jpeg

IMG_0938.jpeg

IMG_0939.jpeg

IMG_0940.jpeg

IMG_0941.jpeg

IMG_0943.jpeg

IMG_0944.jpeg

IMG_0947.jpeg

IMG_0948.jpeg

IMG_0967.jpeg

IMG_0968.jpeg

IMG_0969.jpeg

IMG_0982.jpeg

IMG_0980.jpeg

IMG_0981.jpeg

IMG_0982.jpeg

IMG_0984.jpeg

IMG_0985.jpeg

IMG_0986.jpeg

IMG_0975.jpeg

IMG_0942.jpeg

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 5
  • Love 4

Then after the wedding celebrations, we went to Ahmedabad, located in Gujurat, to visit my cousins on me Mum's side, though I think of them as my younger brother and sister.

Of course the FIRST thing I did was get me some coconut water and slurrped my way to bliss!😁🤪

And the Mehndi (Henna) is still purty!

IMG_0989.jpeg

IMG_0990.jpeg

IMG_0991.jpeg

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 7
  • Love 2

Oh! My sister took us to this place where we get a little bit of everything, but the fare is so light and not heavy--it was delish! Puris, rotis, rice, lentil, squash made into a sweet (yes! Seriously!) and sweet curds! And of course, papadam!

IMG_0995.jpeg

That's it for today! More tomorrow!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 3
  • Love 8

So I did get sick between the last day in Udaipur when we were leaving for Ahmedabad and then the first night in Ahmedabad. I'm blaming it on the fact that was hot as HADES outside, and then going into the lobby of the resort where the air conditioner was blasting, then to our room (I was sharing it with my sister), where there was no AC because the air was "too cold" for her. Then back outside in the sweltering heat. I had a slight fever then a cough, and so it bummed me out that I didn't get a chance to visit the forts. But bless my cousin (who's really like my baby sister), who got me some amoxicillin, which did the trick. Actually, I though I might have gotten strep-since it was so painful just swallowing. But by the third day/dose, I was back to normal. 

Wish we had more time to spend in Ahmedabad, but we were only there for a two nights and one day. Because I also reunited with my other cousin (younger brother) after 30 years! And met his wife and two daughters (my nieces) and they took us out for dinner. We had cocktails at home because Gujurat is a dry state. 

So, minus the two pit stops we made, it took us roughly 9 hours to get back to Jaipur.

Oh! And this adorable pup is my parents' neighbor. Reminds me of my Ralphie. His name is...Scooby and he's 8 months old. To say we were exhausted is putting it mildly.

IMG_0860.jpeg

81f44e0c-de8e-4bb3-a374-9f9217370990.jpeg

IMG_0861.jpeg

IMG_0862.jpeg

IMG_0867.jpeg

IMG_0863.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 4

Back in Jaipur and had lunch with my uncle, aunt and the kids! For refreshments, my aunt served us with…cantaloupe cocktail with a sprig of mint! And it was DEEEEELICIOUS! We had a nice lunch of Dosa (savory crepes), and for dessert a custard with fruit and jello. Made me misty because this was the dessert my honorary Nana made for me. We lost her a few months ago. Until I learned her name, she was always “Custard wali Naniji” to me! That means grandma who makes custard! Hey! I was a kid! And then I learned she and my Nani were childhood friends!

IMG_1035.jpeg

IMG_1046.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So I did get sick between the last day in Udaipur when we were leaving for Ahmedabad and then the first night in Ahmedabad. I'm blaming it on the fact that was hot as HADES outside, and then going into the lobby of the resort where the air conditioner was blasting, then to our room (I was sharing it with my sister), where there was no AC because the air was "too cold" for her. Then back outside in the sweltering heat. I had a slight fever then a cough, and so it bummed me out that I didn't get a chance to visit the forts. But bless my cousin (who's really like my baby sister), who got me some amoxicillin, which did the trick. Actually, I though I might have gotten strep-since it was so painful just swallowing. But by the third day/dose, I was back to normal. 

Wish we had more time to spend in Ahmedabad, but we were only there for a two nights and one day. Because I also reunited with my other cousin (younger brother) after 30 years! And met his wife and two daughters (my nieces) and they took us out for dinner. We had cocktails at home because Gujurat is a dry state. 

So, minus the two pit stops we made, it took us roughly 9 hours to get back to Jaipur.

Oh! And this adorable pup is my parents' neighbor. Reminds me of my Ralphie. His name is...Scooby and he's 8 months old. To say we were exhausted is putting it mildly.

IMG_0860.jpeg

81f44e0c-de8e-4bb3-a374-9f9217370990.jpeg

IMG_0861.jpeg

IMG_0862.jpeg

IMG_0867.jpeg

IMG_0863.jpeg

What a sweet doggie!

• Like 2
(edited)

On the recommendation of various sources I recently spent a disproportionately and disappointingly large amount of money at Husk in Nashville. A main reason we went was because it is supposedly a great place for non meat eaters/pescatarians.  The menu had nothing but meat and shellfish.  Our server suggested clams "because that's the same as fish isn't it?". We ended being begrudgingly served a tiny fish dish that was over-salted to the point of being inedible.  No sides, no starch, no vegetables.  The room was so stark and has such high ceilings we could barely hear each other speak, though somehow we could hear every sound from our neighbors.

Edited by Leeds
Got the name wrong - thanks for pointing it out!
  • Sad 6
On 5/2/2023 at 4:16 PM, Leeds said:

On the recommendation of various sources I recently spent a disproportionately and disappointingly large amount of money at Tusk in Nashville. A main reason we went was because it is supposedly a great place for non meat eaters/pescatarians.  The menu had nothing but meat and shellfish.  Our server suggested clams "because that's the same as fish isn't it?". We ended being begrudgingly served a tiny fish dish that was over-salted to the point of being inedible.  No sides, no starch, no vegetables.  The room was so stark and has such high ceilings we could barely hear each other speak, though somehow we could hear every sound from our neighbors.

I looked it up online to confirm.

There's no restaurant called Tusk  (as in elephant) but there is one  called Husk  (as in corn) in Nashville which is in a swanky neighborhood in an old house- and quite pricey!

FWIW,Frothy Monkey is less expensive  with fresh ingredients , good-sized portions (as well as good salad options and has delicious salmon & shrimp dinner entrees)  and has several locations in Nashville as well as in Franklin and Chattanooga!

• Like 1

Oh! I was just in Nashville. Here's where we ate:

• Friday night dinner was at Halls Chophouse. This is a classic style steakhouse. I was SUPER underdressed for this place. Oops. But there were eight of us so nobody noticed. Best part of this place was the impeccable service. The wait staff was attentive, coordinated, and friendly. (I think our waitress also enjoyed the fact that we were an agreeable bunch of 50 year-olds as opposed to the bickering bachelorette party before us.)

We ordered family style, so a couple of the porterhouse steaks and a bunch of sides. The steak was very good, although I always measure that cut against the Peter Luger's version in Brooklyn. So it's a high standard. Best side was the Pepperjack Creamed Corn Skillet

• Saturday lunch was Hot Chicken at Hattie B's. This was exactly what you expect it to be. Nashville Hot Chicken, side of fried pickles, and cool sweet drink of some sort to wash it down. Line was around the corner when we got there at 12:15, so we set two guys to take turn standing on line while the rest of us got a beer and some chips and salsa at the Chuy's Tex-Mex across the street. 

• Saturday dinner was at Calacas Mexican Cuisine. Again, excellent service for our party of now nine people. The margaritas were perfect. They have a very well done online menu, which you can see if you click on the link. We ordered a variety of tacos and such for dinner which we all shared. I loved the fish tacos and especially the cauliflower tacos. 

• And breakfast Sunday morning was at Another Broken Egg Cafe. At this point, all I really wanted was some coffee, fruit and a couple eggs with toast. And that is what I had, but others were happy with the omelettes or waffles they ordered. I thought this place was little pricey for breakfast, but maybe I'm just not accounting for dramatic increase in the price of everything.

• Bonus review: If you're looking for some live music and want to be a little off the busy Broadway joints, we saw a GREAT band early Saturday evening at Bourbon Street Blues and Boogie Bar in Printers Alley. If you are up for it, order a round of $5 Mystery Shots. 
    Me: "What's a $5 mystery shot?"
    Waitress: "It's a mystery."
    Me: "Understood. I'll have a diet coke and a $5 mystery shot then."
  • Like 4
On 4/21/2023 at 5:43 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

So I went to India for a little over two weeks and just returned home on Sunday. Below are the outfits my Mum bought me that I mentioned in the Chit-Chat thread.

The last is one of the bangle sets I got. I’ll try to post one of me in the cream lenegha in a bit.

D1E6A551-D8DB-4E1F-B894-66568174A821.jpeg

1E14C710-4C83-4229-A3CF-787770638046.jpeg

ECF0A1BE-698D-4B57-A31C-A722AA6CF1F1.jpeg

Had to hide my face!

911C9E74-952E-4786-841C-3294F826FD45.jpeg

All so beautiful, but that cream lenegha, wow! 

4 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Saturday lunch was Hot Chicken at Hattie B's.

That's my favorite place for Nashville hot chicken.  I like Prince's, too.

4 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

And breakfast Sunday morning was at Another Broken Egg Cafe.

There's one of those in the Los Angeles area, near a friend's place, so I've been there a few times.  Good breakfasts - although not good enough to justify the crowd given how many other options there are - but the bartenders really need to step up their Bloody Mary game.  My friend loves the crab cake benedict, which always makes me wish I liked hollandaise, as the dish looks utterly scrumptious.  What I like is that a couple of dishes in the "lite" section of their menu are as tasty as anything else they serve.  I don't give a shit about healthy when I go out to eat, because it's not a common occurrence, but that's a nice little bonus.

• Like 1

Hey y’all! Just wanted to post this outfit which I really wanted, but we had already gotten one in yellow, so I could only drool over it!

Being back in Jaipur and getting pampered! What I love about both salons we went to in Udaipur  and Jaipur is having more than one stylist blow drying and styling my hair! But that picture is of my sister getting styled and Sanjeev is the one on the left. Shallow, but he’s really a hottie and talented!

And the two days before I was set to return, we went to my brother’s place (he’s a police chief or something equivalent to a commissioner, I think?) for dinner and my sister-in-law put out a wonderful spread in the garden!

IMG_0824.jpeg

IMG_1051.jpeg

IMG_1053.jpeg

IMG_1054.jpeg

IMG_1066.jpeg

IMG_1067.jpeg

IMG_1069.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

And finally, the trip home.

I TOLD my Mum that the local flight was a small plane and that I wouldn’t be able to take more than my purse and one piece of hand baggage! And I was right-so my blue hand baggage and carry on had to be checked in and it cost nearly the entire amount of extra local currency they gave me. I only got to take the wonderful back pack my Mum got from the canteen store in their community (came to $2!).

So, as I waited for my flight to New Delhi, I noticed that even the pigeons have free rein!😂😂😂😂😂😂 

I’ll not bore you with the craziness of checking in! Suffice it to say, it took 2 hours! But no issues, so I wasn’t too bothered. But, hello! Starbucks in India! And at the airport! Ignorance is not a good look on me.

And then an EXCRUCIATING 13 hour flight home because my back decided to flare up and I couldn’t find my drugs in the back pack!!!😖😖😖😖

So for the first time in decades, I walked the aisle on the plane to alleviate some of the pain. Didn’t work. So as soon as I cleared customs (20 minutes!!) and my friend picked me up, I downed the drugs as soon as we reached his home, as I left my car there while I was gone. Relief was almost instantaneous. 10 minutes.

But I have yet to adjust being back home! You would think I’d been gone for months instead of just two weeks!

IMG_1081.jpeg

IMG_1082.jpeg

IMG_1084.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Lol, the lehenga! But the food spread did look nice!

It was delicious! Chole (curried chick peas) and Bhature with salad, Dahi Vada (yoghurt balls) with tamarind chutney. M niece made a drink that tasted like grape Gatorade to me, with a hint of licorice. She wouldn’t tell us how she made it!!!!

• Like 4
On 5/5/2023 at 11:51 AM, JTMacc99 said:

while the rest of us got a beer and some chips and salsa at the Chuy's Tex-Mex across the street.

I've been to that Chuy's, and noticed the monster line at Hattie B's. 

I'm from Austin so I have a long history with Chuy's and was delighted when they started expanding across the country not long after I started traveling fulltime.  But I'm displeased with their chips and salsa situation.

Back in the olden days the chips came with a red salsa creamy, I guess is the word, with some chunks of pickled carrots in it.  It was actively tasty.  If you were in the know, you'd ask for the creamy jalapeno, which is probably just ranch dressing with jalapenos in it. 

But then they started serving a chunky pico de gallo/California style salsa, which I detest (I can't stand raw tomatoes).  If you were in the know, you'd ask for the red table salsa--they just didn't bring it automatically.  Okay, that works.

But then some areas didn't have the red table salsa at all and requests for it were met with an understandable blank stare, even though you could still get it in Austin if you knew to ask for it.  Then time passes and now even Austin doesn't have the red table salsa--just the pico de gallo kind, and they now mention the creamy jalapeno on their menu.

My favorite Chuy's strategy was to gorge on those fresh warm chips and red salsa, and order a meal that comes with guacamole, a taco, a flauta, and a big chip with queso on it in addition to the enchiladas and rice and beans.  I'd manage to stuff down the perishables on top of all those chips, and take the barely touched enchiladas, rice, and beans home in containers I brought with me.  (Although avoiding styrofoam at a place that encases their silverware in wax paper and puts a milkshake-worthy straw in every drink, including water, is probably a fool's errand.)

Mr. Outlier also gorges on chips, and gets either the Elvis Presley Memorial Combo or a steak burrito with extra hatch sauce, and manages to stuff down about half of it, and takes the leftovers home.

That way, we get one Chuy's meal while out, complete with chips and salsa gorging, and another meal at home a few days later--it reheats perfectly.

But without the good salsa to go with chips, I nibble just a few chips and eat most or sometimes all of my meal.  Bummmmmmer.

I don't particularly care for Tex-Mex, but I went to Chuy's a couple of times when I used to visit friends in Austin as the rest of the group really liked it.  At least they did proper margaritas. 

And the food isn't remotely bad, it's just not my thing (I really like some other gringo versions of Mexican food, mind you -- as a Los Angeles native, I've spent a lifetime eating traditional recipes from numerous parts of Mexico - fine dining and street food - but also various 'let's put cheese on it!' offerings -- just not this particular American take on the cuisine).  I like jalapeño ranch as a salad dressing, but not as a dip for chips, and their spiciest salsas (which I generally prefer) aren't their best, so I had to settle for something milder with better flavor.  Their shrimp tacos were pretty good, but everything else I ever tried there (we all snack off each other's plates) was fine, but mostly left me wishing I was having a different kind of Mexican food.

• Like 1

Ooh! Ooh! Forgot to post these:

Our authentic jewelry is really amazing, but the “high-end” fashion/costume jewelry isn’t anything to sneeze at, either!  And the chudis (bangles sets).

The first is what we got in Jaipur for my niece’s wedding and the second are pairs of earrings and…earring tassels. You hook the earring and spread it up and behind the ears so it looks like your hair is pinned back by the tassels! My baby sister (okay, technically cousin, but we Desis don’t make the distinction. Well this Desi doesn’t) got these for me in Ahmedabad .

And this concludes my trip.IMG_1113.jpeg.c9d447a0e5290e5fca7c71bf38ba6543.jpegIMG_1112.jpeg.5d5167e013415bafce07aeefc9965ed7.jpegIMG_1111.jpeg.fb219aee6986c1e5f81a1768ac0b4b47.jpegIMG_1109.jpeg.f4df3979b9987bfa90192104d06757bb.jpegIMG_1110.jpeg.cbb41e183445edef8126f077c5d5d3b6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I am having a lot of trouble visualizing the tassel earrings doing what you are describing with the hair. I am the worst at searches (I would never be able to stalk anyone, I have terrible keyword instincts) and just come up with regular tassel earrings that don't involve the hair. Do you have any images or key words that will help because I am really interested in seeing what you described.

3 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

I am having a lot of trouble visualizing the tassel earrings doing what you are describing with the hair. I am the worst at searches (I would never be able to stalk anyone, I have terrible keyword instincts) and just come up with regular tassel earrings that don't involve the hair. Do you have any images or key words that will help because I am really interested in seeing what you described.

Yes, I do! I actually took a picture of one the wedding guests so I could show my Mum I wanted to get some. Hers are silver, but I wanted the gold ones.

IMG_0914.jpeg.c98293732f98af301e5de2adab77a88c.jpeg

I found the below by Googling “Indian jhumka (hanging earrings) with tassels” and got hits in Etsy!

IMG_1115.webp.d639443d09c5d6fe2104107506d4fbce.webpIMG_1114.webp.3e64dc57b428586ba68e2e605872eb89.webp

• Like 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

Thanks those are beautiful. I typed Indian earring tassels and got tassel earrings that any southern girl would wear and then a dangle earring with a chain looped over the earlobe and hanging behind the ear with another dangle. Does what you show above have any religious or cultural aspect? Just asking because I think they would look beautiful on any fancy hairstyle. 

Edited by stewedsquash
1 hour ago, stewedsquash said:

Thanks those are beautiful. I typed Indian earring tassels and got tassel earrings that any southern girl would wear and then a dangle earring with a chain looped over the earlobe and hanging behind the ear with another dangle. Does what you show above have any religious or cultural aspect? Just asking because I think they would look beautiful on any fancy hairstyle. 

You’re welcome! And no, there is no religion aspect to it. As for cultural? Well, we make them but no one I know who is Indian, would be affronted if women who aren’t Indian wanted to wear them. 

• Like 3
On 5/6/2023 at 10:18 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Hey y’all! Just wanted to post this outfit which I really wanted, but we had already gotten one in yellow, so I could only drool over it!

Being back in Jaipur and getting pampered! What I love about both salons we went to in Udaipur  and Jaipur is having more than one stylist blow drying and styling my hair! But that picture is of my sister getting styled and Sanjeev is the one on the left. Shallow, but he’s really a hottie and talented!

And the two days before I was set to return, we went to my brother’s place (he’s a police chief or something equivalent to a commissioner, I think?) for dinner and my sister-in-law put out a wonderful spread in the garden!

IMG_0824.jpeg

IMG_1051.jpeg

IMG_1053.jpeg

IMG_1054.jpeg

IMG_1066.jpeg

IMG_1067.jpeg

IMG_1069.jpeg

Thanks for sharing all the beautiful clothing and experiences you had @GHScorpiosRule!! I was in India many years ago and truly enjoyed the whole trip! Your photos brought back many good memories!

• Like 4
  • Love 2

hi Guys!

Finally doing a weekend trip to MI.  Taking the kids to the Henry Ford Museum. 

Thinking before we head back home we will be checking out Hell, MI.

Anyone from Michigan?  Is Hell still a decent side trip?  We will be making more of a rest stop and allowing around 1 hour plus lunch there.

Thanks

• Like 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, greekmom said:

hi Guys!

Anyone from Michigan?  Is Hell still a decent side trip?  We will be making more of a rest stop and allowing around 1 hour plus lunch there.

Thanks

I’m from Michigan! Never been to Hell lol but the Detroit Zoo is pretty nice. They have polar bears and a penguin house.

Actually we went to Mackinac Island for two nights at the Grand Hotel this week. The lilacs were what my mom came for and they were lovely and in full bloom. Can’t quite overpower the smell of horse poop though…

Anyway, while it was fun, it was hard not to be paranoid because I was the only one in my family (or pretty much anywhere in the hotel) wearing a mask. And my mom is usually so good about it. She thought we were fine even with the bunch of seniors we kept running into staying at the hotel. I jumped every time I heard someone cough and nearly had a heart attack when I overheard some lady saw she thought she was coming down with something.

We’ve been back a couple days and I’m trying not to be paranoid with my throat being dry on and off and having to blow my nose sometimes with the weather and allergies etc. It was cooler on the island, and that might have something to do with it. I swear to god I don’t want any of us to have gotten covid; I’ll never let my parents hear the end of it after all the crap they gave me up there for actually wearing a mask.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, greekmom said:

hi Guys!

Thanks

I went to the Henry Ford in 2021.  Loved the museum, should have gone to Greenfield Village instead of the plant tour.  Nothing was going on, but the plant was stuffy and overly warm.  All in all it was a good time.

Edited by jennifer6973
Changed year
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

That may be the weirdest autocorrect I've ever seen.

I was really confused!  I learned a bit about baculoviruses in grad school back in the day, and blooming was not something I associated with them!

• LOL 2
(edited)

Sorry guys. One more Michigan question.

Trying to decide on a shopping mall visit.

Will be in Dearborn, MI. I see there is a Fairlane Mall or 1/2 hour away Twelve Oaks Mall.

Fair Oaks has a Cheesecake factory. Fairlane is closer to our hotel.

Coming in from Ontario and we only have 1 Cheesecake Factory in Toronto.

Which mall would you say is better? Or do you have another suggestion? Thanks

Edited by greekmom

Well, I finally had my first post-covid vacation! It was only for 2 days / 1 night and to the nearest country (Czech Republic), but it was the first time in 3 and a half years I went anywhere abroad and stayed anywhere overnight, so it has been kind of a big deal for me.

I probably mentioned this here, I have been overly cautious during the pandemic and only stopped wearing mask few months ago, so I have also been vary of travelling anywhere, which sucked because I used to travel a lot and loved it. But I finally decided it's time to start living fully again, I guess. Unless I get covid within the next few weeks, I will probably continue getting more into the pre-covid habits. I wore a mask during the 90 minutes train ride, so I hope I'm safe (of course, me and my mom were the only ones to do so and got some confused looks, but I stopped caring about that some time ago).

It's also the first time I have been to a stage play in 3 and a half years (the last one was Wicked in London in December 2019 which was also the last time I travelled anywhere) and while I knew I missed it even more than travelling, I only realize now how much, because it's felt like taking a drink after being thirsty for hours. It was an outside performance, so we didn't even wear masks so there was no distraction. Overall, the trip was great and I hope it's only a start to moving more towards the new normal for me.

• Like 4
  • Love 4

In September I'm walking down memory lane with my husband as we visit Old Orchard Beach in Maine.  This was a place his family visited annually all through his childhood and teens.  Haven't been back since.  And I've never been.  I am wondering if anyone posting here has been more recently than years ago! and has any recommendations for places to stay, places to eat etc.

4 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

In September I'm walking down memory lane with my husband as we visit Old Orchard Beach in Maine.  This was a place his family visited annually all through his childhood and teens.  Haven't been back since.  And I've never been.  I am wondering if anyone posting here has been more recently than years ago! and has any recommendations for places to stay, places to eat etc.

They seem to pride themselves on being antiquated, so probably not as much has changed as you'd expect for whatever span of time has passed since his adolescence.  I was only there once, and more than 20 years ago, so I don't remember where we ate (and I didn't stay there; I was staying briefly with friends in Portland and just driving up and down the coast stopping off in a few towns for half a day each) so I can't be of any help, but I hope your husband has a nice walk down memory lane.

(Also -- love your screen name, as she's one of my favorite TV characters of all time.)