Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Crazy Love

• Start Topic

Newlywed Fiona struggles to remain faithful when Jimmy returns and relentlessly pursues her; Ian steals Mickey and Svetlana’s baby; Sammi takes over the Gallagher house and enforces strict curfews; Debbie starts high school; Veronica grapples with her decision to separate from Kev.

Promo:

Clips:

The explanation in the second clip for why he was gone is such bullshit. Suspension of disbelief to the levels of "Dexter". He should be dead, like the showrunners said he was. I don't like being lied to by showrunners.

• Love 2

everyone: OMG IAN

jimmyjacksteve: HI EVERYONE!

everyone: ian who?

....WAIT A SEC. omg. the shameless timeline cracks me up and not in a good way. notice in the preview, debbie says 'he took yevgeny last night?" and fiona replies "late, yeah..."

maybe it's just me, but ian took the baby in the morning. he had just came in from "work" and mickey asked him where he had been. then they had the confrontation...then ian took off. it wasn't LATE. 

wtf shameless. idiots

Edited by india wilkes

Fiona has got to be the worst guardian. She really didnt give a fuck about Ian. Where was she when Mickey/Lip/Debs went to get him. She didnt even know what grade Debbie was in. etc. 

Lip - I have a love hate thing with him. Sometimes I really hate him and think he is the worst. And this ep. I was really pissed at him for reaming Mickey out but then at the end when he was reassuring Mickey I was crying. He was great with him.

How calm were the Gallagher's about Ian though. Remember when Frank took off in Season 1 and they all looked for him all over but with Ian they just stayed home and did practically nothing.

Mickey continues to kill me. Telling Ian he loved him and omg Ian/Mickey hugging killed me.

Carl/Mickey were also great to watch.

• Love 1

I know Noel Fisher is always good, but he seriously killed it in this episode!

All the scenes with Ian and the baby were so uncomfortable to watch =/ And the scene when he was backed in the corner of that store after running from the cops was heartbreaking.

I'm bored with Fiona's drama... And the way she's just checked out of taking care of the kids pisses me off.

Edited by wovenloaf
  • Love 3

I could buy last season's "Fiona's an adrenaline junkie with thing for bad boys". That more or less fit with what we knew about her. But the hard drug stuff? Not so much. And now, flaking on her responsibility to the kids? Is this suppose to be the same girl who had to be coaxed by Jimmy/Steve into spending a night (at a hotel, in the same city) away from them? WTF?

Edited by Sienna
  • Love 2

Ugh, Jimmy is such a selfish little shitheel. If he loved Fiona as much as he says he does, he's stay the hell away from her.

I just sat here shaking my head at Fiona making yet more bad decisions, but Emmy Rossum's face crumpling in shame and self loathing killed me.

If anyone can teach a learning disabled sociopath like Carl how to get by in the world, it would be Mickey.

Sammi is obnoxious with making herself at home and laying down all these new rules, but at least she's making herself useful. Let's face it, Fiona doesn't really have a leg to stand on in regards to Sammi horning in considering how little she's been around.

Noel Fisher owned this episode.

I'll give them a pass as far as not looking for Ian. With Frank, there's a long list of familiar haunts. Ian could have been anywhere and they really didn't have the first clue where to start looking for him. With everything they all have going on right now, it would have been foolish to drop everything in an aimless search for him.

Wow what an episode.   It's been said before but it's worth saying again, this show can sometimes deliver a gut-punch like no other.

CM did a wonderful job with Ian's spiral.   He was unhinged, desperate, manic and sad.    When he was pouring change out on the convenient store counter and started to change the baby right there while thanking that "Nice Lady" for some reason that made me SO sad.    And than when he started running through the streets and the store screaming about how they were trying to take "his baby".    I've said before that Ian has always come across to me as a solid character, I think he's the only Gallagher to get an honest job while he was attending school.  To see someone who's inwardly such a strong individual, so broken is just sad.    

Lip trying to hold down his position as an RA but still immediately being there for his family was touching in it's own way as well.   It's clear he doesn't fit in on the Southside anymore (and he's aware of this) but if his family needs him that that's where he'll be.   Him rounding everyone up to go and get Ian.    I think Ian maybe the stronger one on the inside (despite it all) but Lip is solid in his own way as well.   I also consider Lip a bit of a grudge holder so I was VERY surprised when he was so reassuring to Mickey.   He was a little antagonistic earlier but in their last conversation Lip telling Mickey that he did more than a lot of people would've and he tried.   Considering all Mickey has done to Lip both recently and in Season's past.   Just very well crafted.   For some reason I really like Lip/Mickey scenes.

Noel Fisher is a wonderful actor.   This character on paper probably had a very short shelf life and now I can't see Shameless without him.   I like him and Ian together but I'm also always interested in Mickey in his own right.    Very surprising moment with Carl and Mickey.   Carl really came across as the more experienced between the two in terms of everything happening and both actors did a really good job in their scene.    Mickey's scenes with Ian were heartbreaking.   It often surprises me how the writing and NF can make a character who delights in the mischief and trouble he causes so touching and heartfelt at the same time.   

I really like seeing the differences between the Gallaghers and the Milkovitches.    The Gallaghers have had it bad and are all kinds of dysfunctional but when bad times come around their isn't a one of them that won't drop whatever and be their for the family (with the exception of Frank).   The Milkovitches may love each other but each sibling is an island unless it's literally life or death.   The most empathetic was Mandy (who was a headaches herself, love her though) but she's gone, and while I think anyone who really wanted to hurt Mickey would have to come through his brothers, in every other way each sibling is expected to mop it up themselves.   I heard that Mickey, Mandy and the rest were designed to be foils to the Gallaghers and it really shows sometimes.

Fiona's Many Loves.........I've come to really like Gus.   Steve/Jimmy is trouble and I don't think that'll ever change.

Edited by Advance35
  • Love 3

Based on the preview it seems Sammi has been set up as a replacement to give Fiona a figurative (though not legal) out if she wanted to leave with Jimmy. Speaking of, if he loved her he would stay away from her or at least know she would never be able to leave her siblings behind. At least the Fiona he knew and not this Fiona.

If she must be in a relationship Gus is obviously the better choice.

I started watching the US version because I'm a huge fan of William H. Macy, but by the end of the very first episode, I was all "Nope. Fuck Frank, everyone would be better off without him." Which I guess was at least part of the point of the character, but it still grated. These days I generally fast-forward through his scenes, because he pisses me off so much.

• Love 1

To answer Tara Ariano's question from her recap: Frank has always sucked.  Sometimes he'll have a good scene with one of the kids or Monica, but he's a largely useless and static character. 

Anyway, about this episode.  I watched it a few hours ago and I'm still a little teary thinking about it.  First, the scenes with Ian and Yevgeny were so anxiety-making!  I honestly couldn't watch a few of them and had to look away.  Thank god the baby was okay in the end.

Cameron Monaghan was also really believable (and incredibly sympathetic) as someone in the throes of mania and psychosis.  And then at the end when he was so ashamed and sad.  Gah.  And Noel Fisher.  What else can one say about him at this point?  Just brilliant.

As for the other storylines--I don't know what is going on with Fiona this season.  She's making no sense to me.  None.  She's very separated from her family for the first time (even when she was going through her legal/prison troubles last year she was more a part of the Gallagher household than she is now).  And yeah, the kids are older but Liam is what, four years old?  Why is she abandoning him to Sammi?  Why is she never home?  How can she not know when Debbie starts school?

Speaking of Sammi.  I think she's the Janice Soprano of this show (except I liked Janice much better).  Just a scary and pathetic lady.  I'm so sick of her and I keep getting worried she's going to do something really damaging to Chuckie, Carl, Debbie, or Liam.  I feel like they added Sammi to the main cast this year because they knew Joan Cusack was leaving--but Sheila was such a better character and a nicer presence. 

Edited by Blue Castle
  • Love 2

Overall, I loved the episode, especially all the Mickey scenes. But I had a couple questions: I thought Carl was only a year or so younger than Debbie, but he's apparently three grades behind her? Also, why isn't Chuckie going to school?

Interesting that they had Sammi step into Fiona's vacated role as de facto parent in the house. Now I don't know if Debbie and Carl will actually listen to her new rules, but to be fair, she is making breakfast, packing them lunches, offering to let them borrow money to buy school supplies, and at least aware that school is starting (all things that can't be said of Fiona). But of course Sammi is still a Gallagher so when Carl declined to borrow money from her because he's just going to steal stuff from other kids, she asked him to steal some stuff for Chuckie too.

I know that Debbie and Carl are now older and more independent than they were in the first season so they don't need constant supervision, but as much as I don't like Sammi at least she is paying attention to them, keeping track of when they are around, trying to set boundaries (even though I think the curfew is all about Frank), and making sure that they are fed. On the other hand, it seems like the least she could do since she and Chuckie are living there now. Hee, I did laugh when she said that she put locks on the bedroom doors so Frank couldn't go into them.

I also found it hilarious that she said the house doors will be locked at 10pm. Does she think Frank won't pound on the doors and make a racket until someone lets him in? I loved that Debbie and Carl immediately protested. Why doesn't Sammi just give them keys to the door like a normal person? And imagine what will happen the first time that V tries to walk in the front door after 10pm and it's locked.

Man, Ian and Mickey were both killing me this episode (but I probably felt the sorriest for poor Euvgeny who was stuck in a dirty diaper and hungry because Ian didn't think to bring diapers or formula when he ran out of the house). I agree that there weren't many places for Fiona, Lip, and Mickey to look for Ian (whereas Frank had a multitude of hangouts and hideouts). They knew he wasn't at the Gallagher house, the Malkovich house, or at work. Since he returned he hasn't really been many other places. I would guess that Lip and Mickey checked at any places they knew Ian used to go back in high school too.

While part of me really felt for Mickey when Lip sassed him about Ian, I understand why Lip said it. He and Fiona warned Mickey that he couldn't handle Ian on his own if he really got sick and Mickey decided that willful ignorance was good enough until Ian went back to the way he used to be. Lip and Fiona weren't trying to act superior or smarter than Mickey when they told him that. They have already lived through this with Monica so they know how terrible it is and they didn't want Ian or Mickey to have to go through that. They really were just trying to make sure that Ian would be okay and Mickey's stubbornness didn't help Ian at all. But I do get that Mickey didn't want to believe that Ian had gotten that much worse.

Newlywed Fiona struggles to remain faithful when Jimmy returns and relentlessly pursues her

Ha, this part of the episode description cracked me up. She didn't seem to struggle very hard. She punched him a few times at the restaurant and when he showed up at her house, all it took was him saying, "I love you," repeatedly. As much of a sitcom cliche as it was, I loved that the camera then panned back to the window and all the Gallghers (including Sammi) were watching. Poor Lip - Fiona going back to Jimmy is like Lip staying in the neighborhood. He knows it's not the best choice for her to make.

• Love 1

Such an emotional episode. Loved so much about it. Mickey crying was such good acting, he is one of my favorite characters.

The Russian whore going after the adopting dad was hilarious.

I like Sammie taking care of the kids. Someone needs to. Fiona spent most of her teen year's raising them. She could probably use a break.

I'm conflicted on who Fiona should be with. I think she and Jimmy have chemistry and a history together. But Gus seems more stable.

Noel Fisher owned this episode.

Oh yeah... The resignation and sadness... the love and disappointment. The kiss on son's head.. the loving hugs between Mickey and Ian (at the police station and again at the hospital). It broke my heart!

And boy, Mickey has come a long way... remember when he beat of Jimmy's dad for even suggesting that he was Ian's boyfriend or that he was gay. Remember how he begrudgingly acknowledged that he and Mickey were "together" at the hipster's apartment.

But, when that cop asked Mickey who he was to Ian... he didn't blink or stutter or hesitate! Just matter-of-factly said "His partner, lover, you know, family!"

Hell yeah, Noel Fisher is the man!! :-)

• Love 6

UGH. I cant stand the term 'lover'.....i cringed when Mickey said that. I dont know what it is about that word, but.......it doesn't hold the weight of "partner" which i think is a better term than lover or boyfriend. I also like 'significant other' but anyway.......

• Love 5
UGH. I cant stand the term 'lover'.....i cringed when Mickey said that. I dont know what it is about that word, but.......it doesn't hold the weight of "partner" which i think is a better term than lover or boyfriend.

Lol! I know exactly what you mean! I always think of the old SNL skit where Will Farrell keeps saying "My lov-ah"! "Partner" does hold more weight. In any case, I'm glad Mickey didn't flinch. :-) 

Edited by 40Love
  • Love 2

But I had a couple questions: I thought Carl was only a year or so younger than Debbie, but he's apparently three grades behind her? Also, why isn't Chuckie going to school?

Carl got held back at least once. Probably twice. as for Chuckie, I have no idea why he wouldn't be going to school other then negligence.

Well I could see how saying partner could be misconstrued as in like a  business partner, adding lover clarified.

Mickey could have said we're a couple or in a  relationship..

ETA:  I really was hoping they wouldn't go there and have Ian accidently hurt/kill the baby  when you see him throwing it high up in the air, leaving it unattended  on the car hood and taking it to the river to wash,

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 1

I've been watching Shameless since for three seasons now, and this is the first time I actually cried real tears during an episode. Agreed that Noel Fisher owned this episode. From the defeated look on the car ride to pick up Ian, to the embrace as Ian checked into the psych ward…the subtleness of each scene broke my heart. If he doesn't get an Emmy after this season, I don't know what it will take. I was on the edge of my seat with the scenes with Ian and the baby too, especially when he left the baby in the car to pick up a John. With all the cases of babies and kids being left to die in the hot sun that hit the headlines last summer, I was terrified that they were going to try and mirror that. Thank God they didn't. My heart broke for Ian with that scene in the store with the cops.  My husband's upbringing was eerily similar to things that have happened to the Gallaghers with their parents (though he was lucky because he had grandparents,aunts and uncles to look after him and his sister when their parents disappeared), and he said it reminded him of several manic episodes his own mother had before she passed away. I imagine it's tough thing to experience and to handle.

This is the first episode that I kind of liked Sammi, if only because she is attempting to provide some sort of stability to the Gallagher clan while Fiona has been pretty much MIA. Did anyone get the vibe that she was literally trying to kill Frank by not giving him his medicine, or was it just punishment for blowing through the insurance money?

Frank is useless, but hasn't he always been? I think he's really just a launching pad for the other characters. I know people say he should just disappear all together, but his behavior reminds us why the Gallaghers are the way that they are. As long as his scenes are limited, I don't mind him being around.

I'm hoping that this isn't going to be another season of "WTF Fiona?!" You're gone so much that you don't even know what grade your little sister is starting? The sister you fought so hard to be guardian of, along with your other siblings? I get that they're older and they don't need as much supervision, but shit, you still have to be present, especially with teenagers! And she almost killed Liam last year, you'd think she'd be spending more time with him. Why does Lip, who's away at college, have to keep coming down to fix everything? And now this Stimmy storyline, who I couldn't stand from jump, if only because of these elaborate lies. Someone said upthread said that Fiona was at her most stable when she was with him, but I see it as less having to do with him, and more about circumstance. And how the hell can you trust someone who disappears without warning or explanation, TWICE?! And then to continue to pursue her after her saying she was married. And ON TOP of that, he STILL has not be totally honest with her about what he's been doing. You can say "I love you" until you are blue in the face, you need more people. We don't know much about Gus yet, but he seems to be a better match for her. Not only is he friggin gorgeous, but he treats her with gentility and kindness. The last scene with him rolling over and making slow love to her when she climbed into bed(while she's crying tears of regret) versus Stimmy basically throwing her down and fucking her on the floor like an animal was a great contrast on how she is being treated by each man. I also like that he's a musician but not a stereotypical "we're a bunch of bros playing in a bar" TV musician. I remember last episode he said he was working on a jingle for some commercial, and was doing background music for a singer. These are legit ways for musicians to make money, AKA you can actually PINPOINT what he does for a living. Can't say that about Stimmy, who tried to pawn Gus with his "oh, a musician huh, that's stable?" with his con artist ass.  And in the short time Gus has been in the picture, he has done his best to be there for her, even from the first moment he met her and pretended to be her boyfriend to spare her the humiliation his bandmate put her through. I hope she realizes that Gus is a better match and Stimmy hits the road, but in true Fiona and Shameless fashion, she'll fuck it up and ruin the little stability she has.

I feel bad for Kev and Vee, only because me and my husband went through a similar situation when our son was born. He seemed to take to fatherhood like a fish to water, while I struggled with baby blues and an overall feeling of being overwhelmed. It is a hard adjustment to go from being catered to hand and foot while you're pregnant (and before too, because it's just the two of you) to really being put to fourth place in the household. I don't regret being a parent of course, but those early days were tough, and you feel alone and ignored. I think that's what Vee is experiencing. I hate that they seemed to only make it about sex though, it goes so much deeper than that. It takes real effort on both spouse's parts to make sure everyone's needs are met, both the baby's and each other's.  Making Kev sleep with another woman was stupid and wasn't going to resolve the problem or "even the score," I hate when people say that shit. Two wrongs don't make a right. I hope they work it out, because I really do enjoy them as a couple. Sidebar: I like Steve Howey with longer hair. The shaven head reminds me of the goofy character Van he played on "Reba" and I just can't take the slightly edgier character of Kev seriously LOL!

• Love 7

And now this Stimmy storyline, who I couldn't stand from jump, if only because of these elaborate lies. Someone said upthread said that Fiona was at her most stable when she was with him, but I see it as less having to do with him, and more about circumstance. And how the hell can you trust someone who disappears without warning or explanation, TWICE?! And then to continue to pursue her after her saying she was married. And ON TOP of that, he STILL has not be totally honest with her about what he's been doing. You can say "I love you" until you are blue in the face, you need more people. We don't know much about Gus yet, but he seems to be a better match for her. Not only is he friggin gorgeous, but he treats her with gentility and kindness. The last scene with him rolling over and making slow love to her when she climbed into bed(while she's crying tears of regret) versus Stimmy basically throwing her down and fucking her on the floor like an animal was a great contrast on how she is being treated by each man. I also like that he's a musician but not a stereotypical "we're a bunch of bros playing in a bar" TV musician. I remember last episode he said he was working on a jingle for some commercial, and was doing background music for a singer. These are legit ways for musicians to make money, AKA you can actually PINPOINT what he does for a living. Can't say that about Stimmy, who tried to pawn Gus with his "oh, a musician huh, that's stable?" with his con artist ass. And in the short time Gus has been in the picture, he has done his best to be there for her, even from the first moment he met her and pretended to be her boyfriend to spare her the humiliation his bandmate put her through. I hope she realizes that Gus is a better match and Stimmy hits the road, but in true Fiona and Shameless fashion, she'll fuck it up and ruin the little stability she has.

Well said. Quickie marriage aside, Gus is the most healthy and stable relationship Fiona has had. He is just meeting her family so we haven't had the opportunity to see him react to them just yet but he looks to be willing to try. He is sweet and concerned about her feelings not just his own.

I would hope after seeing how utterly broken she was Jimmy/Steve (the fact he has two names is just the beginning of his douchey) would care more about Fiona and her state of mind. So far he comes off smug and selfish. And you think a near violent death experience might steer him away from the criminal behavior. He says he is sorry and loves her, but he loves her being his. I have yet to see him care about what is best for Fiona at all and next week doesn't look much better.

Team Gus (again if she must be in a relationship)

Edited by OptimisticCynic
  • Love 1

This episode was stellar.

I think the show did a great job of contrasting Jimmy and Gus. The kitchen sex scene was definitely a call back to the first time Fiona and Steve had sex but it certainly wasn't loving. Sure it was passionate but not tender. On the other hand Gus was tender and is acting like a real man. Jimmy seems like a bad boy not a man. This is not to say that I don't enjoy the chemistry there but Jimmy doesn't seem to love Fiona.

Like everyone else said, Noel Fisher is the MVP. He's just incredible and Shameless is lucky to have him.

• Love 3
If anyone can teach a learning disabled sociopath like Carl how to get by in the world, it would be Mickey.​

That's so true.  Sad, but true.  

Like others, I love who Mickey has become.  He was so scared and heartbroken and confused over what Ian's going through; him saying goodbye to Ian at the hospital was possibly the most emotional moment I've ever had watching this show.  

This episode was the first time I have found Sammi even mildly tolerable.  

I can't take another round of will they/ won't they with Fiona and Jimmy.  They're toxic, and he's nowhere near the guy he was at first, back when I liked him.  But Fiona has become totally terrible as well, so maybe they deserve each other.  And maybe Gus should just come to my house.

I`m not crying...nope...

That was a phenomenal episode. When Shameless really wants to buckle down and get dramatic, it hits it out of the freaking park. The scenes with Ian and the baby were so hard to watch. They were more intense and scary than all of last season of American Horror Story! And the end, damn. Poor Ian just looked so broken and guilt ridden. CM was just amazing in this episode. NF is as incredible as always. He just breaks my heart with just a look. I`m just amazed by how much Mickey has grown, and how much he and Ian's relationship has been challenged, but also strengthened over the years. Its ridiculous that Mickey was probably just written as a random guy Ian would have a fling with. They must have realized what they had with NF, and ran with it.

Just so many great scenes. I thought it was a particularly good episode for Lip. His scenes with Mickey, especially when he tried to comfort him about trying to help Ian on his own, were great. I also loved the scene with Mickey and Carl. Its kind of amazing they've never really had scenes together. They're a lot alike. Both of them are frequently violent and destructive, but have a huge capacity for love. I really hope we see them hanging out more. Honestly, with his upbringing, and all the shit he`s had to deal with, its kind of amazing Mickeys doing as well as he is. He could, in a weird way, be good for Carl. Granted, I would love if both of them found a more legal way to make money, but you take what you can get. 

Thought the contrast between Jimmy and Gus was interesting, Granted, I really wish Fiona would focus more on her kids then on her love life, but Fiona has issues like that. Jimmy is pretty much the wrong choice, but they have so much history, and Jimmy did fall pretty seamlessly into her life and family. As soon as they hooked up, he got to know her family, her friends, her neighbors. In just this episode, he asked Fiona to say hi to Mickey on the phone, he asked if Sammi is Frank or Monica's, wants to know how the kids are. But, he`s still that chaotic, scheming Jimmy. Gus, on the other hand, is a nice, stable kind of person, but he hasn't been integrated into Fiona's life at all. He does not even know the names of her siblings, let alone anything really about them. I can see why she`s being drawn back to Jimmy.

What else was great about this episode? Oh yeah...minimal Frank! I love Bill Macy, but this show has one of the best, most underappreciated ensembles on TV. Use them!  

• Love 1

I'm not sure if they're setting Fiona up to change for the better or if the last few seasons have all been groundwork for her abandoning the kids and it not being totally OOC. If she does leave with JimmySteve she could still be on the show because of the winter/summer cycle the show tends to use. 

The kitchen scene and Sammi taking the caretaker role in the house makes me think it will be the later. 

Amazing acting episode by CM and NF. I was honestly terrified something bad was going to happen to that baby.  

as for Chuckie, I have no idea why he wouldn't be going to school other then negligence.

Do we know for sure Chuckie isn't going to school? Debbie said high school started a day earlier, which would explain why Carl and Chuckie weren't going that day. Sammi did ask Carl to steal school supplies (I think) for Chuckie.

I honestly could not stand the scene where the baby was screaming non-stop while Ian was trying to change him on the hood of the car. Another minute of that and I would have had to turn it off. If there's one think I can't abide it's a screaming baby.

Otherwise, solid episode. The Ian and Mickey storyline was stellar, but it's so damn frustrating watching Fiona blow it with Gus, already.

And you think a near violent death experience might steer him away from the criminal behavior. He says he is sorry and loves her, but he loves her being his. I have yet to see him care about what is best for Fiona at all and next week doesn't look much better.

Totally agree. While spying on her was creepy, you could make the argument that he was originally trying to determine whether popping back in her life would be best for her. But, since he spied from afar and only popped back in when it seemed like he felt threatened that she had moved on, I don't think he cares about her well being at all. I mean, he may enjoy being with her, but he doesn't stop and think about what's best for her. He just doesn't want her to get over him.

That said, I think Gus is on borrowed time. Yay for Fiona for realizing her mistake and stopping (albeit the second time, after succumbing the first time), but it's pretty clear that no decent guy is ever going to do it for her in the long run. If she turns down Jimmy and she and Gus try and make it work, it seems like only a matter of time before either Jimmy comes back or some other random Bad Choice comes along and catches her eye. Still, I do hope she tells Jimmy to pound sand and he's written off for good.

So, is Deb ever going to feel any guilt over the Matty thing, or is that water under a bridge now? I don't really like where they are going with her character.

I'm not sure if they're setting Fiona up to change for the better or if the last few seasons have all been groundwork for her abandoning the kids and it not being totally OOC. If she does leave with JimmySteve she could still be on the show because of the winter/summer cycle the show tends to use. 

The kitchen scene and Sammi taking the caretaker role in the house makes me think it will be the later. 

Amazing acting episode by CM and NF. I was honestly terrified something bad was going to happen to that baby.

I too was terrified something would happen to the baby!

I'm trying to figure out if they are foreshadowing Fiona departing with Steve or if they are trying to trick us. So many hints have been dropped that make it seem as though she's checking out. I still get the feeling she'll find out something about Gus that freaks her out. Or is he really that perfect?

Loved this episode so much. This show always surprises me. I was down about Sheila leaving and thinking last week's episode was slow and then BANG! They brought it all for this episode. My heart was breaking for Mickey. I loved NF on the Riches too but he really is in his element on shameless as Mickey. He needs an emmy nod for this episode.I am totally interested in seeing more of him and Carl.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 2
I was honestly terrified something bad was going to happen to that baby.​

So terrified!  When he was crying, I worried that Ian would get frustrated and shake him or throw him out of the car.  Then when the baby was on the hood of the car, I worried that he was going to roll off and crack his skull.  When the baby was hungry, I worried that Ian would feed him something dangerous.  And so on and so on.  Very well done by the director and by the actor - just amazing work to build up that much tension.  

I had a very random thought and may be totally off base, but figured I'd share it just to see what y'all thought.  It sort of seems to me that Fiona is starting to turn a little bit in to Frank, at least so far as her attitude toward the kids go.  She's not a drug/ alcohol addict, but she does seem to be addicted to bad boys and the rush from crazy relationships.  And she's started putting her relationships ahead of all else, including the kids.  It's to the point that she has no idea what's going on with any of them, and only has occasional "close" moments with them rather than actually being a caretaker and involved in their day to day lives.  Much like Frank occasionally has moments with Carl or Debbie but certainly isn't actual a parent to them.  Like I said, I might be way off base, but Fiona just seems to have become so totally self-absorbed and selfish, it made me think of a mini-Frank.

• Love 1

Even though it was really obvious that Ian was throwing a doll into the air and not a real baby, I was still shrieking, "Don't throw the baby!"

I was also panicking when he decided to change the baby's diaper on the hood of the car. First of all, it's hot metal. Secondly, it's covered in bugs. Third of all, it's not flat so the baby could roll right off.

UGH. I cant stand the term 'lover'.....i cringed when Mickey said that. I dont know what it is about that word, but.......it doesn't hold the weight of "partner" which i think is a better term than lover or boyfriend. I also like 'significant other' but anyway.......

I agree with you on not liking lover, but not on the "partner"-part. I was thinking "what is wrong with 'boyfriend'?" that whole scene. It's just very distracting to me when somebody says "partner". That's just povoking misunderstandings, which is why writers love it so much, I guess. I think "partner" was a thing when we couldn't get married to signify that one would be married to the other if that was possible, but now that gay marriage is legal in most of the US that seems outdated.

So Mickey: Either marry the guy or call him your "boyfriend". Thank you.

• Love 1

Maybe the writers don't feel like boyfriend is a strong enough term for Mickey and Ian's relationship, so they're trying to find a word that's stronger than boyfriend, without being husband? 

It makes me so sad that none of the amazing actors on this show will get any awards recognition, besides Macy, who has just been doing his usual Frank shenanigans (I love Bill Macy, don't get me wrong. I admire his commitment to this role), but will certainly get the nomination, just because the voters have heard his name before. It just sucks that none of the rest of the cast will get the awards and official kudos that they deserve, even when they're doing episodes like this. 

I always think of the old SNL skit where Will Farrell keeps saying "My lov-ah"!

I always hated the word "lover" but at least the SNL skit made it funny! I noticed that Fiona said it too when she asked Angela if she and Jimmy/Steve were lovers. I was surprised she didn't just ask, "Are you fucking?"

Maybe the writers don't feel like boyfriend is a strong enough term for Mickey and Ian's relationship, so they're trying to find a word that's stronger than boyfriend, without being husband?

It makes me so sad that none of the amazing actors on this show will get any awards recognition, besides Macy, who has just been doing his usual Frank shenanigans (I love Bill Macy, don't get me wrong. I admire his commitment to this role), but will certainly get the nomination, just because the voters have heard his name before. It just sucks that none of the rest of the cast will get the awards and official kudos that they deserve, even when they're doing episodes like this.

I think the category switch to comedy really doesn't help them. This show is very clearly a drama and while it may help secure a nomination for someone like Emmy she will never win because it's obvious it is in the wrong category.

• Love 2

I think the category switch to comedy really doesn't help them. This show is very clearly a drama and while it may help secure a nomination for someone like Emmy she will never win because it's obvious it is in the wrong category.

Well it's the same with all the showtime dramedies. They really should be in the drama category, since the comedy aspect is very small. But it actually does give a better chance at winning to be nominated in the comedy category. Look Edie Falco who won a few times for Nurse Jacky, which is even less of a comedy than shameless.
  • Love 1

Well it's the same with all the showtime dramedies. They really should be in the drama category, since the comedy aspect is very small. But it actually does give a better chance at winning to be nominated in the comedy category. Look Edie Falco who won a few times for Nurse Jacky, which is even less of a comedy than shameless.

Which is actually why I think there should be a third category for Dramedies.  There are enough of them now that don't fit into either.  They are most definitely not dramas but are hardly comedies either.   It is kinda unfair that amazing shows like Orange Is the New Black and Shameless get left out because they don't quite fit into a category.  

• Love 1

And now this Stimmy storyline, who I couldn't stand from jump, if only because of these elaborate lies. Someone said upthread said that Fiona was at her most stable when she was with him, but I see it as less having to do with him, and more about circumstance. And how the hell can you trust someone who disappears without warning or explanation, TWICE?! And then to continue to pursue her after her saying she was married. And ON TOP of that, he STILL has not be totally honest with her about what he's been doing. You can say "I love you" until you are blue in the face, you need more people. We don't know much about Gus yet, but he seems to be a better match for her. Not only is he friggin gorgeous, but he treats her with gentility and kindness. The last scene with him rolling over and making slow love to her when she climbed into bed(while she's crying tears of regret) versus Stimmy basically throwing her down and fucking her on the floor like an animal was a great contrast on how she is being treated by each man. I also like that he's a musician but not a stereotypical "we're a bunch of bros playing in a bar" TV musician. I remember last episode he said he was working on a jingle for some commercial, and was doing background music for a singer. These are legit ways for musicians to make money, AKA you can actually PINPOINT what he does for a living. Can't say that about Stimmy, who tried to pawn Gus with his "oh, a musician huh, that's stable?" with his con artist ass.  And in the short time Gus has been in the picture, he has done his best to be there for her, even from the first moment he met her and pretended to be her boyfriend to spare her the humiliation his bandmate put her through. I hope she realizes that Gus is a better match and Stimmy hits the road, but in true Fiona and Shameless fashion, she'll fuck it up and ruin the little stability she has.

Totally agree. While spying on her was creepy, you could make the argument that he was originally trying to determine whether popping back in her life would be best for her. But, since he spied from afar and only popped back in when it seemed like he felt threatened that she had moved on, I don't think he cares about her well being at all. I mean, he may enjoy being with her, but he doesn't stop and think about what's best for her. He just doesn't want her to get over him.

Completely agreed with the above. His timing on showing up with his smug-ass face was no coincidence; as soon as Fiona tells Angela she's married, Stimmy shows up? What a dick.

He's been nothing but a selfish asshole to Fiona. He has lied to her from the very beginning, was never able to provide any sort of stability for her or the kids, constantly disappeared, showed up married himself and expected Fiona to carry on their relationship despite that, had a hissy fit about not being considered when Fiona pursued legal guardianship of her siblings, and then he just shows up again after Fiona has made a clear distance move away from him and demands that she be his again. Stimmy has never respected Fiona one iota and still doesn't; him repeating "I love you" just rings hollow and manipulative. 

Stimmy wanted to reassure himself that he still had power over Fiona. Here is Gus, a handsome guy with an actual, honest, legal job who actually cares about Fiona and probably would care about her siblings. Stimmy is likely threatened by Gus, especially by Fiona willing to take such a huge step with Gus so quickly, so he pops back up and thinks he can just act like he wasn't gone for a year with nary a text or a call and literally just walk right back into her house without knocking or anything. Seriously, WHAT. A. DICK.

• Love 4